Nowsta

Workforce management tool to handle payroll & work shifts

4.7/5

Mary Jo "MJ"
Mary Jo "MJ"
  • Industry: Hospitality

Easy to use, cuts staffing time in half, great customer support and overall highly recommended.

Reviewed on 9/7/2018

Pros

Nowsta is a staffing platform that was created especially for the Catering & Event Industry. They did their research on what was needed and that comes full circle as you use it daily. On top of having great Customer Support and response time to questions, issues, concerns or suggestions, Nowsta provides a streamlined staffing software that is easy to use for all. Our response times are cut in half and we have more immediate feedback if a staff member is going to accept the shift or not. The Time & Attendance feature is super simple to approve times and notice and discrepancies. I would highly recommend.

Cons

Currently, the only thing I wish I had with this software. I have is having to log into the web application as a Coordinator and not having access through the app for making day of/on-site changes to staff, but this is a rare need for us and easy to use the web version from a phone internet browser.

Michael

Game changer

Reviewed on 15/7/2019

Great! From when we were first introduced to Nowsta through now, it has been a GREAT experience.

Pros

The Nowsta software provides such an easy way to communicate with staff. Scheduling offsite events is about communication. Nowsta provides a platform where everyone can speak the same language when scheduling or receiving a schedule.

Cons

Hard to think about what I don't like. As soon as there is something that seems off the engineers are on it

UKG Ready

Reasons for Choosing Nowsta

The Ready Set Work software was dying more than it was growing. Nowsta's progressive approach to understanding a caterers needs seemed custom fit to what we were looking for in scheduling software.

Reasons for Switching to Nowsta

The final decision was based on ease of use and its custom ability to schedule to an event rather than an individual.
Ranita
  • Industry: Consumer Services

easy to excess

Reviewed on 3/12/2021

Using for 5 months, feeling comfortable and get information about report, time & attendance.

Pros

making labor report everyday by using Nowsta app

Cons

Time & Attending for clock in-clock out by mobile excess

Kt
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

Essential for scheduling our catering & event staff!

Reviewed on 18/10/2023

We have enjoyed Nowsta for the organization and ease of use for our staff!

We have enjoyed Nowsta for the organization and ease of use for our staff!

Pros

We love the personalization of Nowsta and being able to make it work for our company needs. It is incredibly useful for our staff to use the mobile app to accept or decline shifts, see event and shift details, uniform information, and location parking information in the palm of their hand. We also love that it integrates with our catering system, Total Party Planner.

Cons

We wish there was a mobile app for managers & administrators! We are often working in the field and assisting with events so when changes need to be made to a shift or information needs to be updated real-time, we have to rush to a wifi zone and make changes from a laptop (if we even have it with us!) at an event. Making changes via mobile would be super helpful!

Cameron
  • Industry: Hospitality

A world of difference, leagues beyond the next in line.

Reviewed on 2/3/2021

The employees can see exactly how lucrative shifts are, and easily sign up for shifts. Requesting staff is so simple, and scheduling them is even simpler. I can't say enough good things about the ease of access.

Pros

The accessibility is so optimized, it takes only two minutes to get someone up to speed on how to use it. The metrics it tracks, and volume of information readily available to both employees and admins is second to none.

Cons

The live-update features occasionally don't work, and you'll need to reload to see changes. It's not a big issue, it's just that they occasionally do work, so you usually just need to refresh to make sure.

Marina

Seamless from Scheduling to Time and Attendance

Reviewed on 22/1/2022

Nowsta has saved us a lot of time scheduling staff and exporting the time and attendance data for payroll.

Pros

We like the time clock app that our managers can download to clock in our staff anywhere. The ease of requesting staff, sending messages, etc. through the platform is great.

Cons

We are eagerly awaiting a way for our staff to communicate back to us through the app. Currently, it is only one-way messaging outward.

Brian

Tailor-made for the industry

Reviewed on 5/5/2022

Super easy to use. Intuitive interface.

Super easy to use. Intuitive interface.

Pros

This was exactly the solution we were looking for. As a caterer with multiple locations (including new ones), different size/time/types of events, Nowsta allows the flexibility needed while communicating the way our team wants to communicate.

Cons

We love it! Support is always listening for new feature suggestions.

Celayix

Reasons for Switching to Nowsta

Celayix felt dated and wasn't built with the flexibility we needed for different sites/times/staffing models.
Sarah
  • Industry: Events Services

Smooth Transition and easy to use!

Reviewed on 4/3/2020

From the initial conversation, to the implementation, I have been fully on board! I'm excited to know they are constantly working on how to make the software as useful as possible and I'm not sure how our company went so long with out it!

Pros

This software is so user friendly! We have a VERY wide range of employees that range from savvy to beginner in the tech department. The transition to this app/website was seamless for everyone involved. I love how you can compartmentalize almost every aspect of information on both the administrative side as well as the user side. It takes me less than 1 minute to create an event, and about the same for our employees to choose whether or not they are able to work. It's great from start to finish!
I also love that employees can choose how they receive notifications. Very customizable to how they use their phones.

Cons

The biggest thing I wish this software had was an app from the admin side. Although the browser is esthetically pleasing, I would like to get push notifications as the administrator.

Shelby

Nowsta Review

Reviewed on 9/10/2019

Pros

It’s super easy to use and there are (so far) no glitches. The last thing you want is a program messing up mid scheduling. I love being able to rate employees and it’s super easy for my staff to see all the details of the shifts they’re working. It also reminds them to show up 2 hours prior!

Cons

Nothing so far. Obviously it’s constantly updating which can be a pain but it’s worth it to have a nice easy to use software

Gavin

JP Fine Foods Review

Reviewed on 6/11/2023

From the start the people we worked with have been great. The ease of using the system has been the best part.

Pros

The ease of use is what most appealed to me. We also like that it can updated from our catering platform without having to go back and forth between Nowsta and our catering software.

Cons

Being that we are in Canada is would be great to have the payroll report available with our tax structure and be able to calculate the stat pay owed.

Larry

Nowsta review

Reviewed on 16/11/2020

A+

A+

Pros

The Nowsta Team is remarkable and very willing to customize.

Cons

Nothing except we don’t have enough business now to use it to its fullest capacity.

Caterease

Reasons for Switching to Nowsta

Very simply it was the people of Nowsta and their inclusive approach to collaborate with their clients.
Katie

Pier Sixty

Reviewed on 5/1/2022

Overall, I have truly enjoyed using Nowsta opposed to an Excel sheet that always made my computer crash! Not only has it been easy for me to use, but my staff as well!

Pros

I love how easy it is to use, and I love the physical layout of the software. I found that it was very visually appealing which makes it easier to use daily. I also enjoy how easy the app is for my staff. I appreciate that they can receive both notifications from the app and emails for the older staff members who don't use their phones as much. Very user friendly all around!

Cons

I wish that I could attach files on the event for only certain staff members, rather than everyone working that event. Sometimes I would like to give the captains the menu in advance and the bartenders the bar layouts but not everyone else because I do not want the servers to see the prices of each event.

Cameron
  • Industry: Events Services

Nowsta has been GREAT for our company

Reviewed on 11/10/2023

Nowsta has helped us streamline staffing for our events and allowed us to focus on building the best teams for our clients. Through Nowsta's many features, we're able to manage and communicate better with our clients and our staff, creating better and stronger events teams all around.

Pros

We love the accessibility and ease of use for each of our team members. Our staff consists of young and old, and everyone seems to understand how to use the app. Getting updated that everyone has clocked in is a great feature, especially when you're running a lot of events daily. The reminders that you have a shift coming up when you're 3 days out, and then again 3 hours out are great too! Lastly, we love being able to see the last time a staff member logged into the app, this helps us manage the teams more accurately.

Cons

We struggle most with the clock in/out feature. It's likely a user error, but we get the most complaints about this feature. When it does work, it's great!

Lisa

I've threatened to quit if I can't have Nowsta

Reviewed on 15/5/2023

I was with another company before the pandemic in the same role, and used Nowsta there. So I pushed hard to get it at my new job, and it has made scaling up our post-pandemic operations much easier. I've also found that the Nowsta gnomes are great about integrating feedback and working out new features.

Pros

I love how fast I can work with Nowsta--building events, assigning staff, sending out information, moving people around from event to event, duplicating events, attaching pdfs with information that my teams will need. The mobile app is much easier for my team to use than our old system. The different kinds of reports I can generate are useful. And it's fun, compared to the alternatives I've worked with or researched. Other products may have the same functionality, but are harder to navigate or require more keystrokes to do basic things. Nowsta is responsive, robust, and clear.

Cons

Our one big challenge is that Nowsta can't export to the .iif format that our particular version of QuickBooks needs, and we're still looking for a workaround. But it works with a lot of other systems, our experience shouldn't put you off.

Tammy

We Love Nowsta

Reviewed on 12/5/2023

Nowsta has been very beneficial in saving time scheduling staffing and keeping track of staffing as per event.

Pros

We love how easy it is to assign team members to events and how easy it is for team members to accept or decline, based on their personal schedules. We love how Nowsta integrates with our Curate software! We appreciate all of the information that we are able to plug-into each event!

Cons

We do not at all appreciate that Nowsta does not offer any phone support whatsoever. Nowsta is impossible to integrate with ADP and this is a huge disappointment, as had been told that this would be an easy process. We are having to hire yet another software in order to run our payroll, again a huge disappointment, because we were hoping that using Nowsta would streamline our payroll process.

Response from Nowsta

Hello Tammy,
We do offer custom payroll files that will import directly into ADP. Please contact us at [email protected] and we can assist you in getting this set up.

Jennifer
  • Industry: Entertainment

Best Entertainment Crewing Software

Reviewed on 19/2/2022

This software allows us work with an ever-changing employee pool to staff entertainment events. It is easy to set-up events, add employees to shifts, and be able to customize most aspects of the crewing process to meet our client's needs. It is also very convenient to have timesheets and employee attendance integrated in the same software as our calendar and crewing.

Pros

Nowsta is great for real-time staffing, planning upcoming events for clients, and for tracking attendance and employee times. I've worked with several different software packages over the past 5 years, and this is the one that I'm going to stick with because it does everything I need it to in a user-friendly way.

Cons

I would like to be able to add a little more customization to employee pay rates (not only by position, but by client as well). It would also be helpful to be able to customize overtime rules a little more.

Response from Nowsta

Hi Jennifer,
Just following up here to let you know that you can create custom pay rates on a per client basis.
Here is a link to an article that explains how to set these up.
If you have any questions - please let us know at [email protected]

William
  • Industry: Events Services

Nowsta makes us a force to recon with in our industry

Reviewed on 9/6/2023

I am very happy with the way everything has been going and plan to use the Nowsta app until I retire

Pros

I love both the desktop in the mobile app. Thanks to Nowsta we have a very easy time communicating with our staff in real time.

Cons

Just like any other sort of technology today it takes a little getting used to. We were coming from an antiquated system to something fresh and new, but the team walked us through everything step-by-step, and make sure that we understand every aspect of the app..

Clark

Staffing made simple

Reviewed on 11/11/2020

Pros

Nowsta makes it so easy to staff events! The platform is very user intuitive and it's easy to know when someone accepts vs declines a shift. The rating system is very helpful, the time and attendance tracker makes life so much easier, and not to mention the Nowsta team always is incredibly friendly, helpful and responds to messages right away.

Cons

I wish there was a message history of all the announcements I send staff - whether a text or email it would be nice to have a history as a reference or to copy and paste from.

schedule cloud
Lisa

We Love Nowsta!

Reviewed on 8/10/2021

We love Nowsta - from the beginning, their attention to detail and willingness to listen to our needs as a high volume luxury catering company and then develop the tools within the system to be a successful program for us have been top notch. It is super user friendly for our team to use - even with people who do not thrive using technology. It has been a game changer for our business!

Pros

Being able to see the different views from daily, weekly and monthly for event staffing has been super helpful. We love that the program can handle both our day to day time clock needs and our scheduling for offsite events. We have been to integrate into many facets of our business and it is so nice to have everything on one platform!

Cons

We found integration to be easy and pretty seamless for our company. For how I use Nowsta in my role with our company, it works great for me.

David

Nowsta Comments

Reviewed on 6/10/2021

Easy to operate and get up and running.

Easy to operate and get up and running.

Pros

Easy to integrate with TPP.
Easy to use.
Easy for staff to use.

Cons

Would like to be able to add gratuities etc to an employees T+A so the csv exported to payroll program is one step only.
The report 'Time Sheet' needs to include guest count.

Kristin

Everything in One Place

Reviewed on 2/7/2019

Pros

1) the willingness of the Nowsta team to help with anything you need and make the requested changes to create a more efficient user experience
2) the convenience of having everything in one place! So nice that we can do scheduling, labor projections, payroll, and communication all from one easy to use software.

Cons

1) the speed of refreshing the pages is slow sometimes, but nothing that is really bothersome.
2) it is a new software, so there are things about it that we don't like. While the Nowsta team is great about making the requested changes, they have what I can only imagine is a long list of requests that they are trying to accommodate. With that being said, some of our requests are not always met.

Meg
  • Industry: Legal Services

Nowsta helped me expand my business

Reviewed on 3/12/2021

Because I am not spending hours trying to schedule multiple jobs, this has freed up time for me to source more business, hire and train more people.

Pros

I like the weekly view to see who is available when scheduling and the Events page to see if we have any days open to schedule new projects.

Cons

I really wish on the Weekly View that there was a way that the team could put in when they can not work as well as when they can. My team and our work are flexible but I always have to call the team member to see if they could possibly make it an hour earlier to meet a vendor or if we can switch the days they want off and they can tell me if they have no flexibility on certain days.

Greta

Streamline your process!

Reviewed on 10/5/2023

Payroll reporting is simpler.Tracking who is where/when is much less single-threaded than it was.

Pros

So much easier to keep track of who is where, when, and it keeps me from double booking folks. I also love that it alerts/reminds them of their commitments. So much better than a spreadsheet!

Cons

Some occasional glitches that are a challenge for the less tech-savvy.Daily schedule of events often prints with strange page breaks.

Dana

a review

Reviewed on 12/5/2023

Learning there is a way to integrate Caterease with Nowsta. The previous company I was employed did not use this feature.

Pros

How user friendly it is. I am currently using Nowsta so I am not sure why the question states what DID you like most about Nowsta( past tense).

Cons

We recently merged with another company and what would have been fantastic is the ability to transfer both of our Nowsta's together. i had to rebuild all of our events into the new Nowsta. I also struggled with correcting errors with staff information. instead of you fixing it for me I had to create a new worker and delete the old one forcing me to pull them off some 25 events they were already scheduled for. Anyway, this merger has been a bit trying on my end.

Matthew
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

An amazing experience and great product!

Reviewed on 27/7/2023

Pros

I like that Nowsta works well for our team and that they are constantly improving the product with the input of their users.

Cons

If it could export information back to our catering software, that would be helpful but our catering software does not have that capability