StoryXpress

Cloud-based video creating, hosting and recording software

4.7 /5 (76 reviews) Write a Review!

Sven K.

Still in starter development

Reviewed on 28/7/2020

I had to do so many recording do-overs that I'm still not using the product most of the time. I keep trying it every few weeks, but every recording is resulting in inconsistent footage, out of sync, or with 20 frames per second resulting in a choppy video. When I try Loom, I don't have this issue.

Pros

Recording and embedding video's on the fly while sharing your screen.

Cons

Most of the time, my video's are not uploaded smoothly. Costing me hours and hours of time to record them correctly.

Genienne S.
  • Industry: Management Consulting

Record and Go!

Reviewed on 28/7/2020

Pros

I love using this product to not only connect with my team quicker and more efficiently, but to connect and engage with my clients. The software is easy to use, easy to understand, easy to set up and easy to share. I use it for my team to explain and show instructions on job tasks... I also use videos (showing my face) to respond to client emails, instead of just replying via written text. My clients are WOW'd when they are able to watch a personalized video from me!

Cons

On two separate occasions, I recorded videos and the never processed so the client was not able to view the videos. I had to re-record them :(

Noud D.

Feature rich and easy to use!

Reviewed on 6/8/2020

Quick videos to customers to help walk them through their online platform and explain features in detail for future reference.

Pros

The ease of use and add our own branding to the videos

Cons

We like the software! We did not find anything that needs improving.

Adrian W.
  • Industry: Professional Training & Coaching

Great for quick video

Reviewed on 3/8/2020

Been a great experience so far, I use it mainly to create quick personalised videos for prospects/clients. Simple to start from the browser extension, quick to save and be available to share the link.

I have customised it to have brand colours, a logo that links to my booking page.

Pros

This software is great for doing quick videos that can be quickly shared - think Loom - with your own branding, a link on the customisable player that can include your logo with a link to a booking page or whatever suits your need.
Also has the ability to add CTA's, forms, trim the video, create playlists and much more.

Quick and simple to use from the browser extension allowing sharing with or without webcam, create the video then share the link.

Cons

So far I haven't found any issues that have been a problem.

Neil S.

Fantastic screen cap video recording

Reviewed on 3/8/2020

Pros

I love the way it automatically embeds my videos on a branded page, so I can easily share a URL of a webpage and my clients can easily watch my video there.

Cons

If my connection is crappy the upload bombs out and I have to re-record the video.

Maksym S.

Nice alternative for Loom

Reviewed on 5/8/2020

Nice tool to use for quick video recording, tutorials, sharing with team
I like possibility to re upload the video if errors happaned during the uploading

Pros

Purchased it on Appsumo as a lifetime deal

- fast speed of uploading video
- nice functionality of branding etc
- CTA and passworf functionality

Cons

- support was very slow
- somethimes video is not uploading
- I had hard time to add new videos to existent Folders

Fabio D.

This is such an amazing tool for support, sales and walkthrough videos

Reviewed on 26/5/2020

The major benefit is being able to do rapid response videos for clients and prospect, especially prospects. StoryXpress fits very well in the modern sales and support process.

Pros

It is very fast and easy to use. I sent the invite to a team member to join our workspace and she was able to jump in and make videos very easily with no onboarding from myself.
The features that exist and on the roadmap are insane. They have just delivered CNAME at the time of this review and it is a game changer for my branding. Support has always been responsive and very helpful.

Cons

The main one that is on the Roadmap anyway is advanced Video Editing
Maybe even automated subtitles would be good

Lars K.

Easy and simple to us like other popular tools in this segment

Reviewed on 1/8/2020

Good, fast support and a great tool to create videos on your own branding page!

Pros

Simple to install for Customer Success and Support Videos.

Cons

If you like to upload your own videos you need a additional hosting plan.

Tevin G.

A tool you cannot dismiss

Good

Customisable to some extent
Great Value For Money

Cons

Overall it is really good. There a few settings I've not master yet but I guess, that is for me to sort out.

Deb P.

Easy screen capture and video recorder

Reviewed on 6/8/2020

I was looking for a simple tool for screen capture and recording short videos. I have other screen capture and video software but they are bulkier and too complicated for the quick and easy videos I wanted to create. In the beginning I had a couple of issues I couldn't figure out. Their customer support got back to me right away and solved the problem.

Pros

Works reliably. Easy to use. Cloud-based. I don't have to download software and then always get messages about updating and upgrading. Customer support was timely and helpful.

Cons

The fact that it's a chrome extension can be limiting, but it meets my needs so I don't mind.

Sohrab T.
  • Used Other for Free Trial

Fast, Easy, Efficient

Reviewed on 13/5/2020

Overall, I really enjoyed my experience with StoryXpress, makes life easier and with work from home being the trend these days, its really handy.

Pros

Really enjoyed the chrome plug-in. Helped with creating videos for clients.

Cons

In the short time I have been using it, no cons yet!!

Sarah W.

Instructional Videos Made Easy

Reviewed on 4/8/2020

Pros

I really like how I can make my face small and share something to help people walk through something. But they can still see me talking.

Cons

The problem is that once a video I filmed didn't show up until hours later

Colette M.
  • Industry: Nonprofit Organisation Management
  • Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

Super Easy to Get Started

Reviewed on 10/8/2020

So far, I've used this platform to create short helpful videos in stead of sending lengthy emails. People seem to like this alternative.

Pros

I really like how easy it is to download the app and start using. The functionality is great and it's been easy to navigate. I like that the videos don't have to be loaded to YouTube or another place, but can be pulled up by anyone with the URL right on your site.

Cons

Can't really think of anything. There are probably things like branding that might be available but I haven't learned all yet.

Iurii Z.

Purchased it in AppSumo and very happy about it

Reviewed on 10/8/2020

Pros

Its' ease of use (extension). Also, the recording options are good.

Cons

Sometimes it won't record and I would need to restart PC to make it work.

Rodrigo C.

Great screen capture tool for onboarding, sales and more

Reviewed on 28/7/2020

We've been very satisfied with the whole experience. There are similar tools, but the pricing here is better for light to moderate use, and you also get to customize the branding of your video player, which our previous tool didn't.

Pros

Creating, uploading and sharing videos with StoryXpress is very easy and that alone has made this a very useful app in our toolset. Once the browser extension is installed you just need to click the extension icon to start recording (either your screen, your webcam, or both). You also have different tools to emphasize parts of the screen, like annotations and such. It has been really helpful to record instructions on how to use a feature in our software, record bugs so dev team can replicate them, or even sending personalized videos in sales emails. The fact you can customize the branding on the video player page is also great.

Cons

As it only has a browser extension, the webcam overlay and the recording tools can only be displayed over a browser window. You can record the whole screen and any part of your computers windows, but once you switch to another application the webcam overlay goes away (until you come back to the browser). In opur use case this is minor, but if you'll use this to do walkthroughs of non-web apps, then it might be an issue.
Also, I had a problem with the extension not being able to upload videos. It went away after reinstalling, but it was a minor setback nonetheless.

Heather S.

Simple but Powerful

Reviewed on 10/8/2020

It's been great, I got the deal on appsumo so for a very small investment I have gotten a ton of value

Pros

Love how simple it is to use, easy to customize the appearance of videos and with the new editing tools I can easily crop and trim up the videos I create.

This has been an awesome solution for both quick tutorials and for adding a video component to all of our proposals and reports. Being able to walk a client through these documents by video and then also know if/when they actually viewed them is awesome.

Cons

A few times my videos have failed to process, although that has been a while so the issue seems to be resolved. I would love to be able to completely hide the controls on some videos but closing them works just fine

Cherie H.
  • Industry: Utilities

Better than the rest

Reviewed on 10/8/2020

We need a way to virtually present options to potetial clients that we could not meet with in person due to covid, this screen recording with the camera was an easy solution. This way the video could be shared with all decision makers and rewatched and potetial reused if it was not too specific.

The second solution we needed was to be able to create processes and do training virtually for the now remote staff.

Pros

I have tried many screen/video recording software and StoryExpress has been the easiest to implement for the team. If you are looking to get your team on board and implementing fast this is the way to go. It is very intuitive and robust to meet all of your needs.

Cons

I haven't found a Con - I literally choose this software after using many others.

Marcus C.

Great little tool!

Reviewed on 18/7/2020

Pros

Very easy to use, better limits than alternatives, so it's more economical.
Use it nearly every day - clients love having things explained in a video walkthrough rather than getting lost in translation via an email.
The team use it to explain problems and can get a better answer.

Cons

Only one thing I don't like (and I haven't searched for a fix or asked support, so it might just be me) but it does't save my login so I have to re-login every day.

Jacopo G.

Not Your Ordinary Video Tool!

Reviewed on 29/7/2020

The most complete tool I''ve ever found in 5 years. I love it 'cause I use it either for both internal team members training and for marketing purposes. An all in one tool. Strongly suggested.

Pros

I like the speed, the features and the very quick customer service

Cons

It could be less expensive, and it could be quicker in the upload of the analytics.

Mark S.

Story Xpress is My Loom Alternative, Love it

Overall I Love Story Xpress and look forward to new features by the Team

Pros

I really enjoy Story Xpress as my goto Loom alternative, it is really simple to use and I like that i can see all my recorded videos in a simple to view dashboard.

Cons

sometimes the chrome extension does not record the video (small hiccups ) does not happen often but it has happened. a few times

Justin K.

Best video recording software I've used

Reviewed on 28/7/2020

I use this for almost all of my proposals now and it has been a game changer!

Pros

Not only has this product worked without flaws since I got it, but also the team has been incredibly responsive and fast when it comes to implementing new ideas into the interface.

Cons

The email integration for Gmail (via Chrome) can be a bit buggy at times, but still fully functional.

Datis M.
  • Industry: Events Services

Great alternative to Loom

Reviewed on 5/5/2020

It's an excellent piece of software, great alternative to Loom, DIRT CHEAP if you purchase off AppSumo, and the product is evolving at a rapid pace.

Pros

I purchased a Lifetime deal off AppSumo for $60 [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] and can't recommend it enough. It's got the majority of the same features as Loom and they are developing a bunch of new features. The few functions that ClapBoard doesn't have are in development and will be extended to all AppSumo users.

Cons

I've experienced some minor (non-critical) glitches. But it's been fantastic otherwise. Really looking forward to the video editing functionality which I think is a big piece that's missing from ClapBoard... but it's on its way.

Selle E.
  • Industry: Management Consulting

I LOVE this chrome Plugin!!

Reviewed on 22/7/2020

It's been great and easy to use

Pros

I use this to quickly make tutorials for my contractors. It has made my life so much EASIER! I can go back and reference those videos multiple times instead of explaining things over and over. I can also put a CTA button at the end in case they still don't understand and need to book a meeting with me.

Cons

I don't know of any - everything has worked great and they continue to improve features.

Scott K.
  • Industry: Accounting

Great to record & playlists, hard to find

Reviewed on 29/7/2020

Useful to record videos, but I'm now going back to UseLoom with the ability to put my recorders into folders. I had some problems with UseLoom not finishing videos (or errors) - but sorted that out with the help.
StoryXpress has been very helpful and it is a good program so will keep because of the videos I already have.

Pros

Easy to record screen, zoom meetings, etc.

Cons

Very hard to find videos if you record a lot and don't host them or save them externally.
There aren't folders, they removed tags (this did exist).
So you either have to put them into playlists or download and upload to another source.

Michael F.

Good purchase from AppSumo, but new features are adding up for $$$

Reviewed on 31/7/2020

I like it. Loom was slacking on some things and StoryXpress had extra features. The Appsumo deal is what sold me.

Pros

I like the ability to make a custom page and player .

Cons

They said they would allow you to upload videos, but that feature costs extra.