StoryXpress

Cloud-based video creating, hosting and recording software

4.7 /5 (76 reviews) Write a Review!
4.6
4.6
Omar A.
  • Industry: Management Consulting

Easy to use Screen recording software!!

Reviewed on 10/8/2020

So far it has hit the mark for us. We use it as an explainer video screen recording solution

Pros

It is a google extension, so no new software to install
Easy to use with big easy to read buttons
Plenty of customizable functions, if needed
Can easy custom edit videos and brand the player
Easy to understand analytics

Cons

Would be nice if I had the option to show myself in either a circle shape or customize the size of the image

Jennifer S.
  • Industry: Graphic Design

A fully immersive brand experience

Reviewed on 22/7/2020

Fantastic! It was one of my best purchases on appsumo and I'm thrilled to be a user and fan.

Pros

For a brand strategist, StoryXpress is the ultimate win for me. I'm able to provide a cohesive look/feel for my clients through the customized video landing pages. I can easily share my thoughts, my screen, my work with less back and forth than ever before.

Cons

I wish there was an easier way to use the tools while recording. Sometimes I feel like I click on draw, then have to remember to go back in to click through cursor. It would be great if there was an easier way to "x" out of a feature while recording live.

Sally H.

Intuitive & packed with features.

Reviewed on 3/8/2020

At the moment, I'm mainly using StoryXpress for training videos. I plan to use it for copy critiques and presentations in the future though.

Pros

I like the fact I can brand and track videos. I haven't had the chance to make the most of this functionality yet, but I have plenty of use-cases in mind for it.

Cons

Sometimes it's hard to get out of the 'face only intro' to go straight to the screen. But that's probably user-error!

Pedro P.

My Loom alternative

Reviewed on 14/9/2020

Pros

As a marketer who does a lot of cold-outreach, using StoryXpress is a great way to remove the "cold" out of the equation.
What I do is that I typically record myself on camera with my client's website as a background and I do a typical sandwich recording...
Where I say something good about their website, followed by something I can do for them, followed by another cool thing about their website.
And what I love about the software is that I can share a direct link for my recording...
And people will see my recording on a page where I can edit the page to look more about my brand.
Going through this effort really pays out.
And people typically comment on how great it looks.
I understand people use this tool in different ways.
And it's the tool versatility that I love the most because it offers a lot of different ways to use it.

Cons

It happened a few times that after I made a video, especially when it is a bigger one...
That after I finish recording it, the video is gone.
And it's not on the videos list.
And I end up having to record everything again.
This, so far, is the only really bad thing I can see on the software.

Ganesh K.

Excellent software and the LTD was worth it

Reviewed on 21/5/2020

Loved it. No doubts about it.

Pros

Very easy to record and store. The best part is I can allow three team members to use the software in their desktop. So it is worth it. Every penny is worth it.

Customer support is excellent. They respond immediately which is most important. They give me proper timeline if the glitch needs time to be fulfilled.

Cons

One negative aspect is I can't edit the video in the platform itself. But it seems the team is working on this feature . Editing is very much essential.

Victoria S.
  • Industry: Professional Training & Coaching

It's a great product

Reviewed on 18/7/2020

It has been great. The customer service reply almost immediately

Pros

There are many things:
1. I have analytics. I can see how many people look my video, when and for how long
2. I can brand with my logo and colors
3. It has integration with Gmail, Linkden, YouTube, slack and others...
4. I can choose when the video expire, 60, 30, 15 days o never
5. The customer service is great, expedite

Cons

I would like we can manually set up the expiration date video. Now is 60, 30 ,15 or never

Jeffrey D.
  • Used Other for 1-5 months

Possible Loom Alternative

Reviewed on 28/7/2020

I would not use it to replace Loom for communication purposes, however it works better for training videos or for doing content marketing.

Pros

Fairly easy to use! I like how you could have a custom intro before the screenshare, that's a nice feature Loom does not have.

Cons

It had some glitches that resulted in videos turning out poorly, however support was prompt to look into it. It also didn't play well for my clients on their mobile devices, so that was challenging.

Kimberly E.
  • Industry: Online Media

Great Story Teller & MORE!

It's a gem.

Pros

I just bought the product to have an easy way to show my face on my screen while doing a webinar or a training session. There were free apps, but I thought for the money StoryXpress was by far easier to begin ASAP. Little did I realize what a GEM I had found. I found another use case--to tape videos--anything that I can show on my computer screen can be recorded. Excellent! Now, I don't need to do extra steps for scenes I find I want to snip from YouTube, etc.

Cons

I believe there are a few bugs. Several times I was unable to download video...but I was NOT aware of this until it was way too late to re-record. I'd like a few more easy to use functions. I expect that they will come...esp. with regard to video design.

Dominick Z.
  • Industry: Food Production

Bye Bye Loom

Reviewed on 10/8/2020

It's been good, the more I work with it the better it fits my needs.

Pros

It makes quick work of trying to get in front of customers or colleagues. I can share a simple video with very little friction and have branding for both my personal and business needs.

Also being able to customize everything is great.

Cons

A few glitches but may be user error. The actual meat an potatoes of the software have worked well.

Santiago L.

Great tool, some space to perfection

Reviewed on 28/7/2020

Great, looking forward for new updates.

Pros

I like the usability of the chrome extension, simple to set up and quick link creation to share the video. I also appreciate that the viewer page is customizable.

Cons

Lack of features to edit the video like adding some text, images, or having frames to play further with the display of the screen share and the webcam video.

Stephane M.

Powerful tool for a low cost

Reviewed on 28/7/2020

Pros

Being a software company, we often have to test our new releases prior launching them. It is very easy to record the screen and comment in order to send the information that needs to be modified to the programmers.

Cons

To be honest, not much. Overall, very satisfied with it.

Karim M.

Perfect tool to record my screen

Reviewed on 28/7/2020

Love storyxpress. I use it to explain to my VA how to do everything.

Pros

It works and is simple to use. I liked how it has a feature to feature my camera at the beginning to capture the viewer's attention.

Cons

It's not practical to minimize the camera bubble.

Ashley O.
  • Industry: Nonprofit Organisation Management

Great product

Reviewed on 28/7/2020

We greatly enjoy the product as it has helped us to elevate our video.

Pros

Our videographer recommended this product to us for short and quick videos. He shared the ease of using the product and we couldn't agree more.

Cons

We honestly do not have any complaints thus far.

Jessica P.

Reviewed on 13/8/2020

Pros

I love being able to follow up clients and prospects in an easy way. Thanks StoryXpress!

Cons

Maybe could be more advanced in what you can do with it - additional features

Rodrigo C.

Great screen capture tool for onboarding, sales and more

Reviewed on 28/7/2020

We've been very satisfied with the whole experience. There are similar tools, but the pricing here is better for light to moderate use, and you also get to customize the branding of your video player, which our previous tool didn't.

Pros

Creating, uploading and sharing videos with StoryXpress is very easy and that alone has made this a very useful app in our toolset. Once the browser extension is installed you just need to click the extension icon to start recording (either your screen, your webcam, or both). You also have different tools to emphasize parts of the screen, like annotations and such. It has been really helpful to record instructions on how to use a feature in our software, record bugs so dev team can replicate them, or even sending personalized videos in sales emails. The fact you can customize the branding on the video player page is also great.

Cons

As it only has a browser extension, the webcam overlay and the recording tools can only be displayed over a browser window. You can record the whole screen and any part of your computers windows, but once you switch to another application the webcam overlay goes away (until you come back to the browser). In opur use case this is minor, but if you'll use this to do walkthroughs of non-web apps, then it might be an issue.
Also, I had a problem with the extension not being able to upload videos. It went away after reinstalling, but it was a minor setback nonetheless.

Heather S.

Simple but Powerful

Reviewed on 10/8/2020

It's been great, I got the deal on appsumo so for a very small investment I have gotten a ton of value

Pros

Love how simple it is to use, easy to customize the appearance of videos and with the new editing tools I can easily crop and trim up the videos I create.

This has been an awesome solution for both quick tutorials and for adding a video component to all of our proposals and reports. Being able to walk a client through these documents by video and then also know if/when they actually viewed them is awesome.

Cons

A few times my videos have failed to process, although that has been a while so the issue seems to be resolved. I would love to be able to completely hide the controls on some videos but closing them works just fine

Cherie H.
  • Industry: Utilities

Better than the rest

Reviewed on 10/8/2020

We need a way to virtually present options to potetial clients that we could not meet with in person due to covid, this screen recording with the camera was an easy solution. This way the video could be shared with all decision makers and rewatched and potetial reused if it was not too specific.

The second solution we needed was to be able to create processes and do training virtually for the now remote staff.

Pros

I have tried many screen/video recording software and StoryExpress has been the easiest to implement for the team. If you are looking to get your team on board and implementing fast this is the way to go. It is very intuitive and robust to meet all of your needs.

Cons

I haven't found a Con - I literally choose this software after using many others.

Marcus C.

Great little tool!

Reviewed on 18/7/2020

Pros

Very easy to use, better limits than alternatives, so it's more economical.
Use it nearly every day - clients love having things explained in a video walkthrough rather than getting lost in translation via an email.
The team use it to explain problems and can get a better answer.

Cons

Only one thing I don't like (and I haven't searched for a fix or asked support, so it might just be me) but it does't save my login so I have to re-login every day.

Jacopo G.

Not Your Ordinary Video Tool!

Reviewed on 29/7/2020

The most complete tool I''ve ever found in 5 years. I love it 'cause I use it either for both internal team members training and for marketing purposes. An all in one tool. Strongly suggested.

Pros

I like the speed, the features and the very quick customer service

Cons

It could be less expensive, and it could be quicker in the upload of the analytics.

Mark S.

Story Xpress is My Loom Alternative, Love it

Overall I Love Story Xpress and look forward to new features by the Team

Pros

I really enjoy Story Xpress as my goto Loom alternative, it is really simple to use and I like that i can see all my recorded videos in a simple to view dashboard.

Cons

sometimes the chrome extension does not record the video (small hiccups ) does not happen often but it has happened. a few times

Justin K.

Best video recording software I've used

Reviewed on 28/7/2020

I use this for almost all of my proposals now and it has been a game changer!

Pros

Not only has this product worked without flaws since I got it, but also the team has been incredibly responsive and fast when it comes to implementing new ideas into the interface.

Cons

The email integration for Gmail (via Chrome) can be a bit buggy at times, but still fully functional.

Datis M.
  • Industry: Events Services

Great alternative to Loom

Reviewed on 5/5/2020

It's an excellent piece of software, great alternative to Loom, DIRT CHEAP if you purchase off AppSumo, and the product is evolving at a rapid pace.

Pros

I purchased a Lifetime deal off AppSumo for $60 [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] and can't recommend it enough. It's got the majority of the same features as Loom and they are developing a bunch of new features. The few functions that ClapBoard doesn't have are in development and will be extended to all AppSumo users.

Cons

I've experienced some minor (non-critical) glitches. But it's been fantastic otherwise. Really looking forward to the video editing functionality which I think is a big piece that's missing from ClapBoard... but it's on its way.

Selle E.
  • Industry: Management Consulting

I LOVE this chrome Plugin!!

Reviewed on 22/7/2020

It's been great and easy to use

Pros

I use this to quickly make tutorials for my contractors. It has made my life so much EASIER! I can go back and reference those videos multiple times instead of explaining things over and over. I can also put a CTA button at the end in case they still don't understand and need to book a meeting with me.

Cons

I don't know of any - everything has worked great and they continue to improve features.

Scott K.
  • Industry: Accounting

Great to record & playlists, hard to find

Reviewed on 29/7/2020

Useful to record videos, but I'm now going back to UseLoom with the ability to put my recorders into folders. I had some problems with UseLoom not finishing videos (or errors) - but sorted that out with the help.
StoryXpress has been very helpful and it is a good program so will keep because of the videos I already have.

Pros

Easy to record screen, zoom meetings, etc.

Cons

Very hard to find videos if you record a lot and don't host them or save them externally.
There aren't folders, they removed tags (this did exist).
So you either have to put them into playlists or download and upload to another source.

Michael F.

Good purchase from AppSumo, but new features are adding up for $$$

Reviewed on 31/7/2020

I like it. Loom was slacking on some things and StoryXpress had extra features. The Appsumo deal is what sold me.

Pros

I like the ability to make a custom page and player .

Cons

They said they would allow you to upload videos, but that feature costs extra.