StoryXpress

Cloud-based video creating, hosting and recording software

4.8/5
4.6/5
4.7/5
4.6/5

78 Software options

Rodrigo C.

Great screen capture tool for onboarding, sales and more

Reviewed on 28/7/2020

We've been very satisfied with the whole experience. There are similar tools, but the pricing here is better for light to moderate use, and you also get to customize the branding of your video player, which our previous tool didn't.

Pros

Creating, uploading and sharing videos with StoryXpress is very easy and that alone has made this a very useful app in our toolset. Once the browser extension is installed you just need to click the extension icon to start recording (either your screen, your webcam, or both). You also have different tools to emphasize parts of the screen, like annotations and such. It has been really helpful to record instructions on how to use a feature in our software, record bugs so dev team can replicate them, or even sending personalized videos in sales emails. The fact you can customize the branding on the video player page is also great.

Cons

As it only has a browser extension, the webcam overlay and the recording tools can only be displayed over a browser window. You can record the whole screen and any part of your computers windows, but once you switch to another application the webcam overlay goes away (until you come back to the browser). In opur use case this is minor, but if you'll use this to do walkthroughs of non-web apps, then it might be an issue.
Also, I had a problem with the extension not being able to upload videos. It went away after reinstalling, but it was a minor setback nonetheless.

Reasons for Choosing StoryXpress

Loom was more expensive for about the same features.

Heather S.

Simple but Powerful

Reviewed on 10/8/2020

It's been great, I got the deal on appsumo so for a very small investment I have gotten a ton of value

Pros

Love how simple it is to use, easy to customize the appearance of videos and with the new editing tools I can easily crop and trim up the videos I create.

This has been an awesome solution for both quick tutorials and for adding a video component to all of our proposals and reports. Being able to walk a client through these documents by video and then also know if/when they actually viewed them is awesome.

Cons

A few times my videos have failed to process, although that has been a while so the issue seems to be resolved. I would love to be able to completely hide the controls on some videos but closing them works just fine

Camtasia

Reasons for Choosing StoryXpress

I used to use Jing for short video instructions. It was problematic because the videos were in swf format and so most people couldn't view them on mobile devices. That tool was discontinued by TechSmith and I considered purchasing Camtasia, but haven't needed to because I can do everything I need to with StoryXpress

Reasons for Switching to StoryXpress

I could buy it at a one-time very low price through AppSumo
Cherie H.
  • Industry: Utilities

Better than the rest

Reviewed on 10/8/2020

We need a way to virtually present options to potetial clients that we could not meet with in person due to covid, this screen recording with the camera was an easy solution. This way the video could be shared with all decision makers and rewatched and potetial reused if it was not too specific.

The second solution we needed was to be able to create processes and do training virtually for the now remote staff.

Pros

I have tried many screen/video recording software and StoryExpress has been the easiest to implement for the team. If you are looking to get your team on board and implementing fast this is the way to go. It is very intuitive and robust to meet all of your needs.

Cons

I haven't found a Con - I literally choose this software after using many others.

Marcus C.

Great little tool!

Reviewed on 18/7/2020

Pros

Very easy to use, better limits than alternatives, so it's more economical.
Use it nearly every day - clients love having things explained in a video walkthrough rather than getting lost in translation via an email.
The team use it to explain problems and can get a better answer.

Cons

Only one thing I don't like (and I haven't searched for a fix or asked support, so it might just be me) but it does't save my login so I have to re-login every day.

Jacopo G.

Not Your Ordinary Video Tool!

Reviewed on 29/7/2020

The most complete tool I''ve ever found in 5 years. I love it 'cause I use it either for both internal team members training and for marketing purposes. An all in one tool. Strongly suggested.

Pros

I like the speed, the features and the very quick customer service

Cons

It could be less expensive, and it could be quicker in the upload of the analytics.

I chose it over Loom
Mark S.

Story Xpress is My Loom Alternative, Love it

Reviewed on 3/8/2020

Overall I Love Story Xpress and look forward to new features by the Team

Pros

I really enjoy Story Xpress as my goto Loom alternative, it is really simple to use and I like that i can see all my recorded videos in a simple to view dashboard.

Cons

sometimes the chrome extension does not record the video (small hiccups ) does not happen often but it has happened. a few times

Reasons for Choosing StoryXpress

cheaper and easier to use

Ease of use and cheaper
Justin K.

Best video recording software I've used

Reviewed on 28/7/2020

I use this for almost all of my proposals now and it has been a game changer!

Pros

Not only has this product worked without flaws since I got it, but also the team has been incredibly responsive and fast when it comes to implementing new ideas into the interface.

Cons

The email integration for Gmail (via Chrome) can be a bit buggy at times, but still fully functional.

Datis M.
  • Industry: Events Services

Great alternative to Loom

Reviewed on 5/5/2020

It's an excellent piece of software, great alternative to Loom, DIRT CHEAP if you purchase off AppSumo, and the product is evolving at a rapid pace.

Pros

I purchased a Lifetime deal off AppSumo for $60 [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] and can't recommend it enough. It's got the majority of the same features as Loom and they are developing a bunch of new features. The few functions that ClapBoard doesn't have are in development and will be extended to all AppSumo users.

Cons

I've experienced some minor (non-critical) glitches. But it's been fantastic otherwise. Really looking forward to the video editing functionality which I think is a big piece that's missing from ClapBoard... but it's on its way.

Selle E.
  • Industry: Management Consulting

I LOVE this chrome Plugin!!

Reviewed on 22/7/2020

It's been great and easy to use

Pros

I use this to quickly make tutorials for my contractors. It has made my life so much EASIER! I can go back and reference those videos multiple times instead of explaining things over and over. I can also put a CTA button at the end in case they still don't understand and need to book a meeting with me.

Cons

I don't know of any - everything has worked great and they continue to improve features.

Scott K.
  • Industry: Accounting

Great to record & playlists, hard to find

Reviewed on 29/7/2020

Useful to record videos, but I'm now going back to UseLoom with the ability to put my recorders into folders. I had some problems with UseLoom not finishing videos (or errors) - but sorted that out with the help.
StoryXpress has been very helpful and it is a good program so will keep because of the videos I already have.

Pros

Easy to record screen, zoom meetings, etc.

Cons

Very hard to find videos if you record a lot and don't host them or save them externally.
There aren't folders, they removed tags (this did exist).
So you either have to put them into playlists or download and upload to another source.

Vidyard

Reasons for Choosing StoryXpress

UseLoom was having problems finishing videos - but have now resolved

Chose StoryXpress due to an Appsumo purchase
Jun wei T.

It just works!

Reviewed on 9/8/2021

Due to covid-19, many of my lessons have been moved online. I manage to record a lot of the online lessons, which benefit both current and future students. Love it.

Pros

It just works. As it should. Stability has increased greatly over the past many months.
Support is responsive, but of course, one should wait till it is their working hours.

Cons

After 1+ years of using, nothing. All very good.

Michael F.

Good purchase from AppSumo, but new features are adding up for $$$

Reviewed on 31/7/2020

I like it. Loom was slacking on some things and StoryXpress had extra features. The Appsumo deal is what sold me.

Pros

I like the ability to make a custom page and player .

Cons

They said they would allow you to upload videos, but that feature costs extra.

Raul F.

A problem free solution that can save you lots of time

Reviewed on 31/7/2020

I think that video is the future, so this tool can be good integrating video in the everyday work environment, and things like for example explaining complex tasks to colleagues, more impacting customer attention, etc. We are step by step trying to adapt this "technology".

Pros

I like that it is easy to use and an all-in-one solution. I wanted to do something simple (or that I thought was simple), like recording myself on the webcam, creating simple video tutorials, and sharing them on my site with a customized browser. So I tried different ways to do, but without success. First with the webcam software (did not work), later with open source solutions (were too complicated and buggy) so StoryXpress allowed to easily do the task, plus the hosting.

Cons

The downside of having a complete range of options and being new, it is that somethings are still under development. For example I know that they are developing a desktop applications (that will be useful for example to share recordings of powerpoint presentations), and also 1040 px quality (that will be better for selling the videos if they go for paid courses).

Nicolas M.

Very nice communication tool

Reviewed on 28/5/2020

It's very convenient for customer support and sales

Pros

Quick video creation from Chrome, possibility to add CTAs to videos, analytics

Cons

Still a bit green, but the publisher is obviously working hard to follow the roadmap

Great resource for video sharing!

Reviewed on 3/8/2020

Pros

Very easy to use and navigate around. Extremely affordable compared to others!

Cons

Some hiccups here and there when sharing videos. But support is prompt on trying to solve the issues!

Gershon K.
  • Industry: Business Supplies & Equipment
  • Used Weekly for Free Trial

Best I've used so far

Reviewed on 3/6/2021

I just love almost everything about StoryXpress. It's an amazing software and makes my work very easy. In short, I wish I had met this earlier. I'm new to this anyway. Well... Lets hope we do better

Pros

I love the fact that it's easy to record and edit

Cons

After downloading my videos from the site to my computer, the quality reduced

James J.

Story Express Rocks

Reviewed on 28/7/2020

I have been able to get my online product up and running fast with this program

Pros

This program is easy to use. It is a affordable quick way to start doing your online video content now.

Cons

Lately when I try to clip a video it completely deletes it

Glenmarc T.
  • Used for 1-5 months

My Honest Review for StoryXpress

Reviewed on 28/7/2020

Pros

I have been using it for about 2 weeks. I have saved some important files for my onlije learning.

Cons

I found it difficult to use because some of its features are vague to follow.

Jeheen mahmood Z.
  • Industry: Outsourcing/Offshoring

A must-have tool for content desktop creators/instructors/remote team

Reviewed on 10/8/2020

I am the team leader of a remote service agency. I need to create a lot of instructional videos for my team mates and my clients. I also creat how to videos for content marketing. For these purposes I used Screencastify and Loom, both were free and came with limitations. Since I switched to StoryXpress' Clapboard app, with a lifetime license, it has replaced all other apps. On top of that, it is also providing insights and analytics that were not available even in other apps paid versions. Eagerly waiting for the desktop version of StoryXpress' Clapboard

Pros

I really like the depth of the video analytics they offer. Not only each view of the video is counted, but they also show which device was used and which segment of the video the viewer was paying attention to. This helped me a lot in improving video copy and presentation style.

The on-screen drawing and annotation tools are very handy for instructional videos as well

Cons

The video upload speed could do with improvements. With weaker connections, it sometimes takes longer to upload longer videos. For small video clip makers, this is not a problem though; it generally happens when you are loading videos of 1 hour or longer duration.

They currently dont have a desktop app, which is also a drawback. But I was notified by their support that they will be launching this in Q3 2020. It should also improve the uploading speed issue. Something to look forward to in 2020 ha!

Camtasia and Filmora

Reasons for Choosing StoryXpress

Better value and insights.

Reasons for Switching to StoryXpress

The other products were more complex, even though they have more editing features. Since I dont need much in the way of editing, I opted for StoryXpress.
Divyanshu S.
  • Industry: Media Production

Must have extension for a small & big teams working remotely

Reviewed on 1/9/2020

I am using StoryXpress Recorder mainly for remote communication with my team members. There haven't been any glitches and the product simplicity and ease of use feels premium. In a couple of scenarios, I also used it to pitch to prospective clients about our service and used the Calendly Integration to get the meeting booked.

Pros

The ease of use of the recorder, the highlighter tools and their blazing fast download speed. It took less than a minute to new team members to understand how to use the extension.
The video editing feature to crop, blur and trim also help in hiding sensitive information that gets visible while accidently recording from webcam or screen.

Cons

Nothing specifically in unlikable, they have given so many features at such affordable cost as compared to Loom or Vidyard. I really liked their folder feature which was removed in between and seems like it will be coming soon.

Wistia, Vidyard, Loom and Screencastify

Reasons for Choosing StoryXpress

Loom is very restrictive and in try to live by their perception of ease of use, they are not building any features to improve the platform since last one year.

Reasons for Switching to StoryXpress

Mainly because of ease of use, abundant features with respect to video editing, customization and integrations and really affordable pricing. In the lite plan, it is worth just a cup of coffee for a full months usage.
Matthew J.

Claps for Clapboard by StoryXpress

Reviewed on 10/8/2020

Overall the experience has been positive. The service has been largely reliable and easy to use and there have been improvements since buying into it, so that's good to see.

Pros

While there were some initial bumps in the road when using the software, it has since been fixed, which results in being able to easily and conveniently capture video to share with others.

You can do a Face-only intro, you have drawing/presenting tools, and more available to you.

The upload time is pretty quick and the ability to brand your video page and CNAME it is awesome as well. There are other things like CTAs and banners that you can add to spruce up your final product!

Cons

My biggest annoyance/hurdle with Clapboard is that they don't have 1080p or 4k recording and their response is to create a desktop app to do so. But other products such as Loom and Nimbus offer these features within their extensions, without additional downloads, so the technology obviously exists, so I'm not sure why Clapboard feels the need to go this other route rather than support those two resolutions via the browser extension.

Nimbus Note and Loom

Reasons for Switching to StoryXpress

I got a better deal for StoryXpress and was able to get features at a more affordable price that would have cost me more at Loom.
Tara A.
  • Industry: Publishing

Not always intuitive, but great for customer interactions!

Reviewed on 27/7/2020

StoryXpress enables me to shorten my response time when it comes to replying to our clients.

We are also using it to record behind the scenes videos that show our mailing list new things we're trying, whcih creates a lot of engagement with our list.

Pros

Part our service to our authors is that we coach them on the things they need to do. When they have questions, they email them in to us. StoryXpress has made it easy for me to record short replies that would otherwise have taken much longer to respond to. And our clients love the videos!

Cons

There are some aspects of the tool that are not intuitive, like how to edit a clip. And when I first started using them, they allowed you to tag videos, which it appears they no longer allow you to do.

Good Products for what I need

Reviewed on 28/7/2020

Overall, I really like StoryXpress, it does exactly what I need & they seem to have some pretty great features coming in the near future

Pros

I really needed a "Loom-like" software which allows me to create video recordings. The problem with Loom is that when I send links to my subscribers, they don't necessarily know what "loom.com" is & they sometimes down click the link to watch the video.
StoryXpress solves that issue by allowing us to add Cname for all shareable links.
This is by far my favorite feature & the reason I subscribed.

Cons

Nothing that I hated, but the Video uploading/rendering speed could (and should) be faster (my internet is pretty fast & reliable - based out of USA).
The upload speed of StoryXpress compared to Loom is probably 2 times slower.
It could get annoying when you record a video & just want to quickly shoot it out to your subscriber to watch right away.

Dubb

Carsten P.
  • Industry: Design

Great for marketing & operations

Reviewed on 28/7/2020

Pros

StoryXpress helps us document processes, create custom marketing & sales videos and streamline our operations. It's been an incredible addition to our tech stack.

Cons

The only limitation I can think of is the limited number of embeds, but apart from that there's nothing not to like.

Pricing & Features

Ellie S.

Easy to use software to make quick videos

Reviewed on 10/8/2020

I've been using StoryXpress (specifically Clapboard) to create instructional videos to send to my clients and so far they have loved it! It also saves me a huge amount of time, as previously I was writing out the instructions step-by-step and creating screenshots. I'm also planning to publish some video FAQs on my website and create a few YouTube instructional videos, so looking forward to using the software more.

Pros

Setting up StoryXpress (Clapboard) was really simple - I just followed the instructions to download the Chrome extension and it took less than 10 minutes to get started on my first video. The software is really intuitive - you can either record your face, record the screen, record your face and screen at the same time, or make the video out of a mixture of those options.

The videos are available almost immediately in the dashboard, and it's super easy to either download them or send the link to clients to view. You can also add CTAs and other features fairly easily, but I haven't had any need to use those features so far.

Cons

It would be great to be able to blur out details in the video. Perhaps this is already a feature, but I haven't been able to find it