Sketch

Product design tool to create, test & collaborate on ideas

4.4/5

672 Software options

Dustin M.

I love Sketch!!!

Reviewed on 16/7/2019

I love Sketch. I've dropped the practically limitless other options that I've picked up over the years to almost exclusively use this tool for all my designs.

Pros

Easy to use, quick to learn, and an every day tool in my office. I have done everything from web design to logo design to photo editing in Sketch (not recommended, but awesome what can be done). I absolutely love it, and I'm really impressed with the team and pricing model as well!

Cons

Sometimes it is a bit slow to get features that I would hope for (I'm talking to you, dropper tool shortcut key), but overall it just does an excellent job at letting me do my job.

Jonno C.

Still better than Figma (for us), great for UI design systems, constantly improving

Reviewed on 30/9/2021

We use Sketch to design our mobile app, web apps, website, and various other things. It's a key tool in our team's work. Figma is giving Sketch a real run for its money, but so far it's a better fit for our team. Competition is healthy, and I hope that translates into constant improvements over time.

Pros

Symbols and libraries - these are the core of Sketch's power. Dynamically updated components that allow individual customisations/overrides mean we don't have to have a million different variants of a given component. Colour tinting on symbol instances is a huge timesaver too, compared to the hacks and workarounds we used to have with layer styles and nested swatch symbols.
Export presets make asset export simple - I especially love the use of layer names to create folder structures for export. The SVG export gives better results than Adobe Illustrator for example (more decimal places means higher accuracy).
Pressing Enter or double-clicking to drill down within groups of elements is super useful - it'd be even better if there were keyboard shortcuts to cycle back and forth between the layers of a group (i.e. next/previous layer).
Plugins - there's a very active ecosystem of 3rd party developers, with tons of useful plugins to extend Sketch's functionality and make up for some of its limitations.

Cons

The vector editing tools feel very limited. For icon design I often find I have to jump to Adobe Illustrator to get the exact shapes I want. Illustrator's vector manipulation tools are both quicker and offer more granular control over various operations.
Since layer and symbol names are such a key aspect of asset export, I'd love to have built-in rule-based batch renaming features. The popular plugin RenameIt is great, but why not build this in?
The new team accounts are confusing and don't work well. The difference between signing in to an individual account vs a shared workspace isn't clear enough - do I need a serial number or a username and password? Myself and my teammates have had multiple issues with being signed out and getting lost in authentication hell, which immediately cuts us off from our files.

Sketch is the ultimate digital design tool

Reviewed on 13/2/2021

I have been using Sketch for many years now. The story is that ever since Photoshop started getting slower and more heavyweight, a tool was needed for fast digital (i.e. not print) design. So Sketch, while a bit simplistic at first, rose to popularity along with industries like UX and modern web & app design.

Sketch's biggest competitor is Figma which has many advantages, but for our team, Sketch remains the sleekest and nicest tool for the job.

Pros

Sketch is easy and lightweight. There are many features and enough complexity, but these are all hidden under its clean interface. And that's its best feature, since it makes design easy and accessible. Plus all of its advanced features, like symbols, libraries, styles etc. make modern digital design fun, since you are mostly concerned with what you design, and not working around the tool and its limitations.

Sketch is one of those rare cases, where less is obviously more.

Cons

The biggest drawback of Sketch is it is Mac-only. And while for many designers that's not a problem, let's not forget that a) it's communities that have made many design tools and b) since design has become more important than ever, it has become more inclusive and collaborative than ever as well. This means that a Windows version of Sketch could really make a difference in its future.

Sketch cloud, while it's getting where it needs to be, development is a bit slow and left behind.

Figma
Michael S.
  • Industry: Management Consulting

Best Vector Graphics UX/UI Design Tool For Creating iOS & Other Apps

Reviewed on 19/12/2019

Using Sketch has been a great experience for me. I've crafted some excellent and quite complex designs for new apps. I will continue to use Sketch going forward.

Pros

I love Sketch and use it as my main app design tool. While there is a bit of a learning curve, I think it's worth investing the time to learn Sketch, particularly if you're designing user experiences and interfaces for mobile apps. The ability to create and use templates and components makes it extremely versatile. Also, the design tools, symbol libraries, and editing features make Sketch the best UX/UI design app I've ever used. Further, you can add plugins to add capabilities to Sketch. I use several. One of these allows me to export a design as code directly into Xcode! This saves time when coding a new UI.

Cons

There's little I don't like about Sketch. The only thing I could think of needing improvement is in creating gradients in the Appearance section of the Inspector. While this is extremely powerful, I find it a bit confusing at times.

Adobe XD

Reasons for Choosing Sketch

Balsamiq is great for basic wireframing. However, it doesn't have the capabilities of Sketch for crafting completely rendered UX/UI interfaces.

Balsamiq

Reasons for Switching to Sketch

Adobe XD is a good product but is not yet as good as Sketch at this time. It is not as feature-rich, nor as easy-to-use.
  • Industry: Human Resources
  • Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

Favorite Design Tool!

Reviewed on 23/1/2019

I love how quick they are to make bug fixes and that they are always pushing the capability of what the program can do. They also are not shy of plugins and integrations with Invision and Craft which makes them a better product.

Pros

Here's the short list of why I'll never go back to adobe & always use Sketch
1)Command Keys - I LOVE that I don't have to remember crazy key commands to create simple things like textboxes and shapes. In sketch T creates a textbox, O a circle, R Rectangle! So easy to remember!
2) File Size - I can have HUNDREDS of designed screens in a single file and it doesn't take forever to load! The only time I've ever had a problem was with multiple massive photos in a file and still, that was nothing in compared to other programs
3) Symbols - I love not recreating the same button over and over. And that it's easy to create symbols and also change small things with text override. Helps a ton with consistency!
4) Saving! I love auto-save and if I accidentally deleted something I decided I like the revert ability is awesome! I can't tell you the nightmares I had in college because I forgot to save!
5) Plugins - There is an awesome community around this product and they create great tools to make my life even easier!

Cons

It's great they are always trying to stay up-to-date on the latest and best but as they find better ways to do things it sometimes messes up things like symbols and UI Kits which means rework to match the new functionality.

Mario T.

Sketch replaced all our other design tools

Reviewed on 20/7/2018

Great product for beginner to advanced designers, it works great to prototype and preview designs right from Sketch, making your life easy.

It has a bast collection of templates and libraries to accelerate your design process.

Pros

- It has everything a designer would need
- It has toons of great addons and plugins
- it works for advanced to beginner designers
- I like the prototyping tools to link pages between them
- loads easily giant files
- the missing fonts warning is great, it allows you to know exactly what is missing
- export 1, 2, [email protected] is a piece of cake
- pricing is not bad, for large group licensing is not expensive
- presentation mode, easily hide all toolboxes to focus on what matters most
- huge community that makes it easily to find templates and free samples
- Symbol management is great, it is a feature that allows you to basically template your own designs most use pieces to not repeat yourself
- copy/paste styles, it will allow you to copy sizes, colors, spacings, etc.

Cons

- image tools lacks extra features, you are just allow to crop and use the magic wand
- no image distortion, only an un-useful transformation and rotation
- most of the great stuff has to be made using 3rd party libraries, would love if the basic feature included more capability for image
- sometimes old software version won't allow you to open new versions files forcing you to upgrade your version

Great tool for designing interfaces and simple vector art/icons

Reviewed on 7/12/2019

Very good experience. I find Sketch to be a very useful and helpful tool in my daily work.

Pros

It's pretty intuitive in terms of how the features work. It does a great job of organizing your work and helping you keep track of your design work. Plus, the ability to push work to other services, such as InVision, make it a great tool for creating apps and needing to work with developers to slice up images and incorporate elements into the final product.

Cons

I wish written content could be handled better within the app. There are some add-ons out there that will pull content into Sketch via a spreadsheet or JSON file but I just wish there was more consideration given to how content works within design.

Silviu O.

Why Sketch is still my first choice for almost every design task

Reviewed on 30/5/2019

I have been using Sketch for more than 4 years. I find it easy to use, intuitive. It has great integrations that can automate most of the work.
I am really excited about the product and highly recommend it.

Pros

It is fairly easy to use. It can be used for solving many design challenges such as icon design, wireframing, site mapping, prototyping, design system.
It has been on the market for quite a while. The software is stable and the updates are constantly improving the value.
Its main power comes from 3rd party plugins. It has tons of plugins available that make your life easy and automate some of the work. You can write your own plugin as well.
Sketch has established itself as a market leader. Almost any other design tool out there that specializes in one aspect of product design has a plugin for Sketch integration. It is extremely common to start working in Sketch and then exporting it to a different tool.

Cons

Sketch is desktop based and it was built to work fast. Having people working on a shared project can be a bit tricky. There are some workarounds, a couple of external tools that offer functionalities similar to git (software development concept).

Perfect for App Designers Or Quick Photo Edits

Reviewed on 27/2/2020

Editing photos for works and creating app icons for my personal projects, Sketch provides quick work of them both. Could not ask for a better vector program.

Pros

While not produced by Apple, this is a piece of software that you could see Apple designing if they went for a vector editing piece of software. Sketch is transparent in its most used tools, all which perform excellently. Whether you're creating an icon for a website or an app, or simply editing an imported photo, Sketch is incredibly easy to understand and manipulate at will.

Cons

At its core, Sketch provides all the basic tools necessary to be a Photoshop-competitor, it is meant for more of a digital partnership. There are no print-medium settings, so you're stuck creating digital files for digital realms. In addition, you pay for yearly updates as free updates are not part of the initial cost.

Price, Easy-To-Understand UI

Best in-class design software for Product designers

Reviewed on 28/11/2018

Pros

It is amazingly easy to get started with Sketch. There is very little learning curve to get started. It is designed for product designers and you can produce your UX/UI work a lot more quickly than using other software, say Illustrator. The keyboard shortcuts are intuitive and easy to remember, ie R for Rectangcle , L for Line.

There are also a lot of 3rd party plugins and integration you can use to do pretty much everything. You can check your color contrast, you can build flow diagrams, you name it.

What I like the most of Sketch is it's keeping up to date with the modern product design process. The new Sketch 52 redesign is fantastic, offering killer features like shared styles in symbols. This immediately became the way we build design system.

Cons

The only complaint I have with Sketch is the vector tool. It's kinda cumbersome to use compare to Adobe Illustrator. It is hard to do detailed icon or illustration work in Sketch.

Oscar S.
  • Industry: Automotive

Sketch is a powerful design tool

Reviewed on 7/12/2018

I love this tool, I’m the UX lead of a big company that have more than 25 designers and we use SketchApp as a critical part of our design process.

Pros

This software allows to the users create and add plugins for specific needs. This means the the Designers can collaborate with other designers and you can solve your design needs with this plugins.

I consider that this tool have two great advantages of many:

- For responsive designs and big proyects you will have the “override”, “symbols”, “resizing” and “data” that will help you to have a rapid prototyping your designs. Is fast and easy compared to other design Tools.
- Libraries: this help you to collaborate between your different views in your website designs, oh!! The most important , you can collaborate and share your symbols between your design team members! Is fantastic!

Cons

The price for what you receive is good but I don’t linke to pay annually. I prefer the lifetime license.

Harper J.
  • Industry: Dairy
  • Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

One of the best vector graphics editors that exists

Reviewed on 8/12/2018

My experience has been excellent, with absolutely no complaints about this software, I have really managed to design absolutely all the work I have done with it without any problem and without counting that the software is so well optimized that it does not hang at any time and allows the work to become dynamic, entertaining and fast, in addition to how simple its interface is compared to other software allows you to easily achieve what you are looking for, unlike other softwares where you have to try and try again and again up to achieve what we mentally think.

Pros

I love this software because of the possibilities it gives you, and the truth is that compared to its competitors it is easier to use and more intuitive than the others, it is perfect for designing websites and advertising material, besides having integration with other plugins or tools that facilitate many things, also the management of the different boards is much superior to other software, being much faster and optimized. And a very important feature for me is that it allows you to have the CSS at hand and therefore edit it, it is totally amazing for the creation of websites besides the prototypes you have to start from them are very good.

Cons

I have no complaints about this tool beyond that it can only be used with Mac Os and therefore those people who do not have devices that can run this operating system can not make use of this software, and the other thing is that the price is somewhat elevated, but worth it without a doubt.

Maciej K.
  • Industry: Design

Industry Standard

Reviewed on 18/10/2018

Pros

I come from an era, where UI designers used Photoshop, a tool for digital photography, to design interfaces. There was simply nothing better at that time. Then, Sketch was released and it changed everything. It was a vector-based tool focused on UI design. It was something designers really needed! Sketch came a long way and became an industry standard. After a few years it's still a solid software that you can rely on with features you need. Sketch developers listen to the community and release updates often. The pricing is also reasonable. If you're a UX or UI designer, this is the tool you want to use.

Cons

Sketch now has a lot of competitors and needs to catch up in some areas:

– Prototyping capabilities are very basic‚ it's simply not capable to replace inVision many designers rely on
– There are no good layout tools (like Stacks in Framer X)

Inguna G.
  • Used for 1+ year

For graphic design on a Mac - excellent

Reviewed on 30/7/2020

As a UX designer, a lot of my time is spent making prototypes. Sketch was the first such app that I used for this purpose, and I used it daily for 2 years. The base controls are easy to learn and use, but as with anything, getting to an efficient workflow required some effort and thought.
The app supports the user in lots of small ways, such as providing a lot of default canvas sizes to choose from (so you don't have to spend time defining your own each time). By using symbols it's easier to deal with multiple repeating elements, and Sketch even has a built-in feature where you can edit the text in a symbol without copying it over and over- this I have not yet seen anywhere else, and was my favorite thing in Sketch.
I have since moved to other apps, because in my work I need to show user interactions with a UI, and don't care much about vectors and polished graphic design. For more interaction design and rapid prototyping, Sketch is not the best on the market. But for polished designs, if you are already using a mac, it's really great.

Pros

Lots of free plugins available to extend functionality.
Lots of free libraries available for common elements.
Easy to learn initially, the controls are intuitive for the most part.
Cn edit text in a symbol without having to make separate versions of the symbol - very cool.
Can make polished high-fidelity prototypes with Sketch.

Cons

Available only for iOS devices.
Can't add text within an element- must add text as a separate element.
Not ideal for rapid low-fidelity prototyping.
Can't create itneractions between elements or users mouse.

Wesley H.

Powerful and easy to use

Reviewed on 1/7/2020

I really enjoy working in the product. It's very powerful and generally user friendly.

Pros

For the most part it's very intuitive. I like having a photo gallery embedded and pixel perfect placement control. But the best part in my opinion is how component companies like Infragistics supply Sketch templates for their components which can then be synced with a collaboration site where developers and customers can view, comment, and extract information they need.

Cons

Some features are not in the easiest to find places. There also bugs from time to time that make things not work exactly how they should.

Jason F.
  • Industry: Design

Sketch is still a sompetitive program for web design

Reviewed on 20/4/2021

Sketch is still a great product that is used throughout the industry and should be considered when picking the right software for your company. I do wish that they would update the ability to prototype without having to use InVision or another third-party platform.

Pros

When I first started using Sketch it was a great alternative to designing sites in Photoshop. It was faster, cheaper, more streamlined, and built to design for the web compared to photoshop. It made designing for the digital world fun again.

Cons

To get all of the features you need to design and prototype a modern website you have to buy and use additional software like InVision. When you compare this to Adobe XD or Figma, where the prototyping is built-in, the cost can add up.

Oscar G.

Sketch: the best design tool for Mac

Reviewed on 29/2/2020

Overall Sketch is my favourite Mac design tool. It's easy to use, has heaps of features and you can install plugins. Aside from the fact that you need a computer around to view your designs, its a great app!

Pros

What I love most about Sketch is its ease of use and templates. You can choose from templates or start yourself. I frequently use this app for designs screens for mobile apps and app icons. You can also install plugins for extra features.

Cons

What I don't love about Sketch is Sketch Mirror. Sketch Mirror is the feature that makes you be able to view your designs on a mobile device. The problem is you need to be connected on the same network. So I can't be somewhere not around my computer and show my designs.

Sketch is a life-changer for UI/UX design

Reviewed on 19/3/2019

Overall, Sketch is a great piece of software for any designer - it's inexpensive, but has a lot of great features.

Pros

I love the simplicity of Sketch. The interface is distraction free and the shortcuts save a lot of time. Sketch is definitely more intuitive to use for UI/UX design than other popular design softwares, mostly due to how easy it is to create/arrange artboards and the prototyping features.

Cons

Sometimes, I do experience lagging issues with Sketch, so if anything could be implemented to improve the speed that would be a bonus. It would also be great if Sketch could include live collaboration features, allowing multiple users to work on one file at any time.

Julian S.

Incredible vector design software with tons of features

Reviewed on 17/7/2019

Pros

Very fast and easy to use with great, best in class macOS support

Cons

Quite expensive and requires yearly payment

Adobe XD

Reasons for Switching to Sketch

Better macOS native support, discount

Reliable, inexpensive, powerful, easy to learn

Reviewed on 20/7/2021

Blows XD out of the water, but not quite as collaborative as Figma. For that reason, and its lack of complete prototyping capabilities, it is still not the best in its class.

Pros

Sketch was the first UX design tool I really started to use. I was able to pick it up very quickly. It offers lots of great tools out of the box (such as the ability to cut paths, something lacking in XD). It's fast, mostly quite reliable, and constantly being updated.

Cons

It lags a bit in prototyping capability compared with Figma. You must rely on an external (paid) plugin to handle anything animated or complex.

John M.
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

Redefined App UI Design

Reviewed on 5/9/2018

Pros

Sketch really started a revolution in app and web UI design, building a domain-specific tool for these purposes, unlike the more general tools offered elsewhere. Even as the software has developed and new features have been added, the usability has remained solid, to the point where business stakeholders with no design/tech background have been known to jump in and prototype their ideas.

Cons

Sketch Cloud, while great in theory, just isn't coming together as quickly as I'd like to see. Everything basically works, but the web version feels slow on all but the fastest connections (due to not preloading the next screen when flipping through screens), and display consistency across platforms isn't great (eg transparency displayed as white on some platforms, black on others). It also appears there's no way to hide certain screens from Sketch Cloud, or to hide all symbols – the latter being a pretty commonly requested feature.

Mukund V.
  • Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

Simple and powerful

Reviewed on 25/2/2021

Sketch has all the features a vector graphics software must have, but beyond that, the highlight is its own user interface and the simplicity associated with it. It can easily be picked up by beginners and also manipulated by more professional users, who will find that it is fast, feature-rich and powerful. It was the standard software used by the design team at my former workspace, and occasionally developers like me.

Pros

Sketch has everything you need to design vector graphics; consider it a more stripped down (and streamlined) version of Adobe Illustrator, without support for print media. It is perfect for and used primarily to develop designs of user interfaces for the web / mobile. Aside from design tools, it also includes prototyping and collaboration tools. Also great is the integration with Zeplin, which is a workplace for finished designs (handoff to developers).

Cons

Sketch's main strength is its simplicity. This can sometimes be a problem when you need more complex behaviour provided only by big suites like Adobe Illustrator. Adobe XD is also getting increasingly better and competes directly with Sketch (on domain).

Daniel W.

Sketch: A Really Great Software Design Tool

Reviewed on 3/4/2021

Pros

I really like Sketch's user interface as it is very intuitive to learn and it has a very low learning curve. This is because it is modelled after Apple's applications like pages and numbers. There are many fantastic things about Sketch and one of them is the extensive collaboration features. For example, you can upload your prototype to Sketch Cloud and send a URL to the recipient and this allows them to view, download and edit the prototype. They can even leave quick comments around the prototype. You are also able to create libraries for a team to collaborate in and it is very easy to do so. Overall, Sketch is an amazing design tool and has had many years to mature into a powerful competitor to Adobe XD and Figma

Cons

One of the disadvantages of Sketch is that it is Mac only and cannot be used on Windows computers. Another thing that is a bit annoying the the price of Sketch. It costs 99 USD each year but this is only for one Mac computer, meaning you will have to purchase more licenses for multiple computers.

The Easiest Prototype tool I've Used

Reviewed on 12/2/2019

Essential in our design stack, can't live without it!

Pros

The best part of sketch is the easy way to create templates that allow you make mockups on iphone mac and other devices. You can import assets like iOS and browser buttons that make designing anything a breeze. I also love the fact that you can almost instantly export and preview live on any device! I use this daily and its always my go to when create mockups or in depth designs before coding it out.

Cons

The functionality is limited if you dont pay for it, but hey it's worth the money!

Simple and efficient to help us share designs across the team

Reviewed on 27/4/2021

We love Skwtch and our designers would never go back to their previous set of tools now.

Pros

It is very easy to organize our designs, both past and upcoming in Sketch. We use it to share upcoming features with our teams, clients and prospects and it helps gather valuable feedback.

Cons

It would be a lot more convenient if we could have it on PC as well. We had to replace a few computers for our whole design team to use it.