Affinity Designer

Graphic & vector design software for creative professionals

4.9/5

Abraham C.
  • Industry: Mining & Metals

Best Alternative for Adobe Illustrator

Reviewed on 31/10/2021

Overall, I am very happy with this app because I can finally work on vectors and graphic designs without worrying about monthly fees. It is so cheap and powerful. This is definitely the best alternative for Adobe Illustrator.

Pros

I was an avid user of Adobe Illustrator before they changed into a subscription model. When I learned about Affinity Designer, I grabbed it immediately without second thoughts. It works great and has all the features and tools I need for my work and business.

You just have to pay once and you get all future updates for life! Also, their mobile app comes free after your purchase. How cool is that? The app can be used on desktops and/or tablets. I have tried it on my iPad Pro and it's really fun to use, though I'd still prefer working on a computer. The price is so cheap and hard to beat. I will never look back after using this software for almost 5 years. I am now a fan and I highly recommend this app.

Cons

There is nothing to dislike with this software. I never had any issues or crashes so far. I love it!

Jens K.

IMO the Best Vector Editing Software on the Market

Reviewed on 21/7/2021

Fabulous. I bought the software in 2014 when it was first released and Serif has supplied free upgrades for almost seven years now (bringing it from version 1.0 to 1.9).
It's super easy to learn when you come from competing software and because it's newly developed it doesn't carry the heft of many, many years of old code and compatibility issues around (looking at you, Illustrator!).

Pros

It's modern, FAST (in capitals), easy to use, affordable and regularly updated.
Also, Affinity Designer (and it's companion applications Photo and Publisher) are available on both Windows and macOS with 100% file compatibility; In addition there is an iPad edition available, again with 100% compatible files and great drawing features for Apple Pencil.

Cons

The management of ,global colours' and 'normal colours' needs some getting used to. Once you know how it works, it works well, but it's a bit different than I expected.

Sketch

Reasons for Choosing Affinity Designer

I switched because Affinity Designer comes at a one-off price and the software I used before switched to a subscription model. The other software I used before that was not available on macOS (it is now, but runs really, really badly).

Adobe Illustrator and CorelDRAW

Reasons for Switching to Affinity Designer

The two reasons I chose Affinity Designer over other evaluated software: - There is two more products in the suite (Affinity Photo and Publisher) and "working seamlessly together" is an understatement (StudioLink basically melts the three applications into one) - Out of the three products I looked at Affinity Designer is the one with the best export options for print-ready PDF documents
  • Industry: Building Materials

Illustrator Alternative, Almost Perfect

Reviewed on 26/1/2021

I love that I am able to open all of my old Adobe files seamlessly, for the most part. Yes, there are some minor things missing from the software but, for someone who does web and graphic design on a daily basis, this is a phenomenal software solution. Not to mention the normal $50 one-time purchase cost (currently only $25 due to COVID-19).

Pros

They are constantly improving this software and making it the perfect 1:1 replacement for Adobe Illustrator, without the paywall. It's easy to use and understand while having advanced enough features for even the most technical users.

Cons

I wish I had the potential to seamlessly switch between the affinity app suite, like their Publisher software allows. It would be convenient for small changes using tools from my other Affinity products.

Jeremy B.
  • Industry: Writing & Editing

Gotta Get Them All

Reviewed on 31/3/2021

I should start by saying that I didn't think I'd need Affinity Designer when I bought it. The only reason I bought it (and its product sibling, Affinity Photo) was because the product I actually wanted (Affinity Publisher) has a component called "Studio Link" that allows owners of Designer and Photo to switch "personas," which is a fancy word for summoning the tool set for Designer or Photo, whenever they need to update an image, logo, vector, landscape photo, etc. within a print layout for magazines, books (my exact use case), posters, fliers, or any other printed publication for business. By having a copy of Designer, I can use its full feature set right inside Publisher (same with Photo). I never have to exit the program or swap the image file I need to work on. It's not just innovative, it's efficient: one of the functional reasons (outside the obvious cost benefit) to using Affinity Anything over Adobe Anything (including Illustrator, it's main competition).

But the funny thing is that once I bought Designer (and Photo), I saw a need for it. It's now my go-to for designing vector images, which can help me to make a logo for my website or a character + scene or idea design for my book covers (in comedies and coming-of-age fiction). The hardest part is actually learning how to draw with vectors.

Spoiler Alert: It's not hard, even if you're an amateur like me. Get the Affinity Designer textbook or watch expert tutorials, and you'll figure it out in no time.

Pros

The main reason I bought the program was because it integrates with Affinity Publisher, another tool from the same company that I needed for book design. This is probably more of a pro in Publisher's camp, but Designer's compatibility with Affinity's entire suite of products made it attractive.

But it didn't take long for me to realize that I needed a program to design vector graphics, and Affinity Designer scratches that itch well. I can't compare its feature set to its competitor, Adobe Illustrator, because I don't use Adobe products, so I can't discuss what it lacks. But when it comes to essential layered shape designs and special effects (and creating patterns, and designing logos, and so on), it includes everything you need to get the job done well.

It's also easy to use. The product's store page also sells a textbook that holds your hand through designing projects, so it's very learn-as-you-go. The video tutorials also offer quick tips and best practices, and you can get additional design ideas from Affinity's YouTube channel.

The price is unbeatable. It charges an ownership fee, not a subscription fee, so you pay for the product once (and depending on your budget, you don't pay much) and keep it forever. The price includes all updates within that version, and it updates enough to maintain user confidence.

Overall, my opinion is that if you care about graphics of any kind, this is a tool worth having. But you should get all of Affinity's products. They're worth it.

Cons

If I were a dedicated graphic design artist, I might have an opinion here. But as a writer and sometimes game designer, my graphic needs are governed by situation, and so far my situation has not revealed any frustrations that I wouldn't extend to all Affinity products. So, the only actual negative I have right now is trivial. I'd need to use the software consistently to become excellent, and I don't need it often enough to become excellent. But if I were to use it consistently, the tools it offers would help me become excellent. So, there's no real con to buying this program, especially at its price point. Keeping track of the art boards gave me a headache the first time I used them. I think I may have used them wrong. A true graphic designer probably wouldn't have that kind of problem. It would be like a non-writer trying to learn how to use the style sheets in Microsoft Word (or Affinity Publisher, for that matter). Not hopeless, but not easy on the first try.

No, the only nitpick I have is the same about all of Affinity's products. To update them, you have to manually download and install the newest version. Each product is half a gigabyte in size. Multiply that by three (because all three share the same updates), and it can get expensive on your hard drive if you don't have that delete key ready. It would be nicer if they had an auto-updating option available (for those who trust the integrity of updates). But that's about it.

Oh, and Affinity likes RAM. Lots of RAM.

Connor D.

It's not Illustrator, but it'll do

Reviewed on 23/8/2019

It gets the job done. That's probably the best thing I can say about it. It gets the job done, but I trudge through every moment of the job.

Pros

It's surprisingly fully-featured for the price. Once you know what you're doing, it can accomplish just about any task you'd use Illustrator (the industry standard) for.

Cons

The workflows are just ... Annoying. Maybe it's because I'm coming from Illustrator, where everything feels effortless, but it feels like every aspect of Affinity Designer was made unnecessarily complicated. Using the program makes me want to pull my hair out, because I know how much quicker and easier and just ... More "common sense" the process would be in Illustrator.

Also, and this is a big one: Most stock vector files are completely useless in Affinity Designer. If there's any degree of complexity (meaning more than one shape), it's going to be an absolute disaster to work with in Designer.

Budget alternative to Adobe's increasingly expensive product line..

Reviewed on 14/9/2020

The pricepoint and feature set make this a steal when you compare it to Adobe's competitor Illustrator. We bought a single license and had our most experienced designer test drive it. He ultimately recommended it and we've enjoyed a huge cost savings for software, while not missing a beat in terms of workload and output.

Pros

This is a fantastic alternative to Adobe's Illustrator, especially at Affinity's pricepoint. To be fair, we're not a design agency first, we make websites and do marketing primarily. However, when we do want to work with vector graphics, Affinity Designer matches up almost 1:1 with Adobe Illustrator. The real pro is the one-time fee of $50 instead of a full adobe suite subscription. This allows our small team to effectively open, edit, and export vector graphics, without having a several hundred dollars per month bill to foot. For small teams, this is a huge win. I'd imagine some experienced designers will scoff that a few of their old shortcuts don't work, but all in all, the interface and function almost mirrors Adobe's for a fraction of the cost. We also use their photo editing software too, which replaces Photoshop.

Cons

Some of the terminology and keyboard shortcuts made the onboarding slightly more difficult for our long-time Adobe Illustrator users, but they've adopted nicely over time. There's always growing pains when you switch tools, but there are many more features that do match up 1:1 that this was a no brainer for our company.

Janet V.
  • Industry: Computer Games

Great value for a low price

Reviewed on 30/3/2021

Easy to get into and affordable.

Pros

Definitely the price. Affinity Designer is a rival for Adobe's Photoshop and it offers a much more reasonable one-time payment than Adobe's subscription service, which most will complain is even difficult to cancel. Using the vector persona was super easy for someone who hadn't done that type of art before. The fact that the pixel and vector persona are separated but in the same program is also pretty neat.

Cons

At this point, I have no complaints. Affinity Designer is a wonderful substitute for Adobe's products, which is what I assume most people are looking for.

Milton A.
  • Industry: Design

Full competition in the vector sector

Reviewed on 15/4/2021

Its price and business style makes it affordable. Their support and community is excellent and you can resolve any queries in less than a day.
I have used it on all 3 platforms (Win, Mac and iPad) and it deploys quickly and efficiently on any platform.

Pros

It is an essential App in my work. Easy to use and intuitive, multiplatform on Win Mac iPad (no iPhone). It is constantly updated and is a reference in the current design software.
Library of plugins, brushes, fonts, gradients... own and third party.
Very good community to ask questions and excellent tutorial channel.

Cons

Compared to applications with much more time and experience, they may not have more complex tools. But with knowledge of what you are doing you can achieve the same result.

Adobe Creative Cloud

Reasons for Switching to Affinity Designer

Price, renewal system, evolution of another App that was not the usual benchmark. Design of the App itself.
Philip M.

Best Graphics Design Software

Reviewed on 6/11/2020

We use this for 90% of the design work. The other 10% is Affinity Photo. They are both amazing products that work very well together to cover all of our design needs.

Pros

Affinity Designer has all the features of other, more expensive software options, with a clean customizable interface. It loads faster than other software we have used and are very responsive to customer requests.

Cons

Truthfully there's very little negative about Affinity Designer. Every con I've had has been addressed by the company and fixed or added. If something does come up, I'm sure they'll fix it or integrate a new function.

Shreepurna J.
  • Industry: Broadcast Media

Affinity - New Tool For Creative People

Reviewed on 12/2/2021

I started using Affinity in January last year, it was hard to switch but quick to learn. I would recommend people to use Affinity more for their design process.

Pros

This application software is so easy to understand and use and a good replacement for Photoshop.
People who are looking for an affordable and better way to design should switch to Affinity.

Cons

I think the Affinity is less popular and should be advertised to more among students and new startups who are looking for affordable to start their design process.

Gede ananda A.
  • Industry: Apparel & Fashion

Great Value comes with Low Price

Reviewed on 25/5/2021

As Student and Small Owner Bussiness, this is helping me a lot, with a one-time payment of $25, I can have reliable Graphic Design software. Has a lot of tools and features similar to Photoshop, I definitely recommend this for great value of money and functionality

Pros

The one-time purchase rather than year/monthly subscriptions is a big win for me, only with $25 you can have this app until you die or forgot your account. Very affordable to students and small business owners like me. I can import Photoshop (.psd) format into affinity and it just works. Affinity Designer also doing updates regularly to polished the app more further and removing some bugs.

Cons

Although affinity and Photoshop have similar tools, it just feels different if you using Photoshop for long time before switching to Affinity Designer. Beside that I don't find any cons or downside

Christa E.
  • Industry: Primary/Secondary Education

Best Option Outside Industy Standard

Reviewed on 4/12/2020

A favorite for both work and personal uses as a designer. The best option outside of industry standard and I can recommend it enough.

Pros

Affinity Designer is affordable with everything that Illustrator offers and more. The best features of this program are the ability to switch between vector and raster, alongside their isometric tool to make 3 dimensional landscapes.

Cons

The only thing missing is an Image Trace feature but believe they will add it as they develop their software more.

James L.

The Illustrator Killer

Reviewed on 6/11/2020

Amazing! I create graphics as a freelancer or for some hobbies I have and it was always such a chore to have to use GIMP or pay for Adobe. Finally, there's a usable product for an affordable price.

Pros

Affinity designer has an amazing amount of features for the price compared to the Adobe Suite.

Cons

It's not quite toe-to-toe with Illustrator on every feature but it has more than enough to be a hobbyist or casual user's replacement. For larger projects, you may want to go with Illustrator but I challenge anyone to do their daily work in Designer, 90% you'll be able to do everything you can for a fraction of the price.

Matthew B.

Illustrator, watch out!

Reviewed on 30/8/2019

I started with Designer and have since adopted the entire Affinity Suite.

Pros

Affinity has really outdone themselves with Designer. For a fraction (literally) the cost of Adobe Illustrator, Designer is a full featured, professional alternative - with a one time license fee (you own it, forever).

Cons

I wish Affinity could add support for Adobe file extensions. Within the Affinity/Serif world, you're fine. If a client requests an Adobe specific format, you will have trouble.

Andrés S.

A neck-and-neck competitor to Adobe Illustrator

Reviewed on 6/4/2018

Being able to pay for a licensed fully reliable software, at a reasonable price. Hey! It's a no-brainer.

Pros

Designer, along with its brother Photo, makes the best out of a designer software, without the hustle and cost of a larger suite, such as Adobe CC. Every feature you are used to having on Illustrator you will find in Designer. The layout is very similar and with some name changes you are just at home. Additionally, Serif develops templates and themes that you can use just by being a registered user.

Cons

The only problem for most designers is to find where the usual tools (shadowing, rasterizing, among others) are located. Once you get familiarized with where is what, you are free.

Christopher michael S.

The illustrator killer.. almost

Reviewed on 16/10/2018

All of Serif's software is amazing, and Affinity Designer is easily the best graphic design program I've ever used.

Pros

It's a lightweight, super functional graphics design software for the ages. It has 99% of the tools I need for vector and pixel art creation, all in one program. In some ways, it's like a hybrid of Illustrator and Photoshop.

Cons

There's not much I don't like, but it is missing a few features that make it hard to completely abandon adobe products. However, those are in the development roadmap, so it's only a matter of time.

Excellent tool for a low price

Reviewed on 23/4/2021

I absolutely love working with Affinity Designer, every part of it. I know I don't use its capabilities even in 10%, but I know I can if I would like to. I believe it's much better to learn Designer and be able to do anything with the graphic than paying a monthly fee for limited and inconvenient web apps.

Pros

I'm not a designer, but from time to time I needed to create a graphic for social media or for digital and print documents. I love Affinity Designer for its well-designed interface, full-featured functionality, and flexibility much higher than in any online tool. I found there everything I need, and what was hard or impossible in Canva. In fact, it's a competitor of Adobe Illustrator rather than Canva. And it's available for a one-time payment and ridiculously low price.

Cons

It has a rather steep learning curve. It's not as easy as Canva or Crello, but you don't have to watch hours of tutorials to start. One more drawback: if you want to create multi-page documents, you need their DTP app.

Ronald A.

Design Like a Graphic Designer

Reviewed on 30/7/2020

For the first time in a long time I was able to design brochures, logos, and cutout masks for some photos where I needed to remove the backgrounds. Sometimes the backgrounds were too busy to use other software so I started trying Affinity Designer and now I'm working like a pro with it. I just love it.

Pros

It's easy to use and mostly intuitive. I like software that I can just jump into that's not too complicated. This is it.

Cons

In the beginning I looked for videos to learn certain things but eventually I came right on my own.

Jason N.

Love this product

Reviewed on 26/8/2018

BUY!

Pros

I make tshirt designs and Affinity designer is an incredibly effective tool for this. I regularly use it and find it to be almost as feature rich as adobe illustrator. Best of all, this is a one time fee for 50 dollars and you keep it for life. This is a great alternative to paying monthly for adobe products.

Also - the company is constantly looking to make improvements on the software and has an active user community.

Cons

Some features from adobe illustrator aren't out yet, namely line tracing and a few others. I hope they continue to work on this product.

• Industry: Human Resources

Excellent replacement for Adobe Illustrator with a great price tag!

Reviewed on 12/7/2018

I saved a lot of money by not having to pay a subscription model for bloated software. Affinity Designer gives me all the tools I need.

Pros

Affinity Designer is very easy to use, especially if you've worked with products like Adobe Illustrator in the past. Tools are easy and intuitive to use and the ability to customize the UI so you only see the things you need really cleans up your work space. I love the variety of export methods and use of canvases. Another big pro is the ability to open several different file formats, including .ai.

Cons

It can take a little effort to setup your workspace the way you like it. It's not always easy to find out how to display a specific palette of functions via the main app menu. I prefer submenus in tool docs so I can see what tool palettes I can add directly.

Almost there as an Adobe Illustrator replacement

Reviewed on 7/11/2017

An affordable, feature-rich vector editor that gets frequent updates.

Pros

Affinity Designer has 99% of what I need from a vector editing tool. The UI is easy to work with and some things are actually easier to do with Designer than Illustrator.

Cons

I wish the expand stroke function was more accurate. The results are inconsistent and makes the feature essentially unusable since you cannot trust what it will output.

Carlos A.
  • Industry: Telecommunications
  • Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

It has enhanced my productivity and streamlined my processes

Reviewed on 8/12/2017

Pros

Intuitive tools, smart and simple layer controls, streamlined UI. The use of the machine resources is optimal and I particularly love the easy switch between Draw, Pixel and Export persona, that significantly accelerates the way I work. It is a one time purchase (not a subscription) so it has effectively replaced my previous vector illustrations editing software.

Cons

Export options are a little limited and it just misses a few key features to be able to replace my current publishing software and their announced Affinity Publisher keeps getting delayed. PDF export makes files that are heavier in filesize than other solutions, not an issue when exporting a PDF for print, but can be for PDFs for a website where each KB is key.

Antonio M.

The best vector design software

Reviewed on 22/1/2021

We use Designer for making everything related to vectors - from logos, to promotional images we put on T-shirts and coasters. It is amazingly easy to use and very resource friendly. It was also the cheapest option on the market, and coupled with being the best, I'd say it's a win-win situation.

Pros

Absolutely everything! Affinity Designer does everything one would expect from a vector design software for just a fraction of the price of the competitors.

Cons

There is nothing I found lacking in Affinity Designer! I believe I finally found a great competitor to the best known software in this field, and one that I will keep on using!

Carlton R.

Great Affordable Design Software

Reviewed on 12/2/2019

Pros

Affinity Designer has thought through several of the most commonly used design features and enhanced them to make it faster and easier to use than most design software. It is affordable and has extensive font options.

Cons

The one thing that has frustrated me for a while is ​it does not have any live trace options. It would be great to have this​ option. The other thing is that the workspace organization​ complicated at times. overall it is easy to use though.

High Performance for a great value

Reviewed on 20/5/2021

This is my go-to design software for man and iPad.

Pros

This software is a great alternative to Adobe and does not require a subscription. It is powerful and robust for editing and publishing logos.

Cons

It can take a bit to learn about the correct aspect ratios and ex[orting correctly, bu there are many internet tutorials to help.