Affinity Designer

Graphic & vector design software for creative professionals

4.7 /5 (251 reviews) Write a Review!
4.7
4.8
4.4
4.3
4.4
  • Used Daily for Free Trial

Better than I expected

Reviewed on 24/4/2020

I saw ads for the Affinity suite in the past, but always dismissed them as one of those half-baked knock-offs of photoshop that like to rope you in with "free"trials that don't let you save your files or something. Turns out I was very wrong! Affinity Designer and Publisher are both legitimate and very good pieces of software. They are feature rich, have some innovative features that aren't seen in other software and have ongoing development with regular updates.

Affinity Designer is quite intuitive, can do most things Illustrator can, can open and edit Illustrator files, so the transition was very smooth, with hardly any learning curve. Still had to google some to to figure out how certain operations were done in Designer that were different to Illustrator, and grapple with a few odd choices the devs made, over all I've been pretty pleased with Designer.

Decided to transition from Illustrator because it didn't make sense for us to pay for the subscription model because we only need to use it several times a year for creating product labels, and starting and cancelling subscriptions constantly is just cumbersome. Plus we already have a Photoshop and Lightroom subscription. I tried to move from Illustrator to Inkscape in the past, but that was just impossible, Inkscape can't open Illustrator files properly (even PDFs) and lacks so many features that it wasn't possible to use for what I needed it.

Pros

Coming from Illustrator, it's very easy to adapt to, just minor differences in some workflows, but mostly it's intuitive. It can open and edit Illustrator files if they are pdf compatible, even deal with complex things like knockout groups correctly. It's also has some great ideas that I was pleasantly surprised by that made the workflow better and faster. Affinity devs listen to user feedback and regularly update their apps, so any features that it lacks it will probably get soon.

Cons

Lack of a good font manager, it just takes the fonts you have installed in your OS. No Google fonts integration or anything like Adobe Fonts, so if you're missing fonts you have to manually find them online and (buy or) download them the old-fashioned way.

Some odd workflow choices, minor things that can slow you down. Like no native way to permanently reset the bounding box of an object after it has been rotated, they have a toggle that works for 1 operation and switches back to the (skewed or rotated) original. The align UI and the order of actions to chose what to align to what is strange and can waste time. Other minor things like that that I ran into, but all in all it works well and gets the job done.

David I.
  • Industry: Telecommunications

Full power of creativity for and decent price

Reviewed on 1/8/2020

Overall I can designs faster in this software than Illustrator, finally I can work with something similar to inkscape that can work with CMYK but this one is faster than both adobe and free products, I think is the best bang for your buck for working with vectors.

Pros

- You can create and handle CMYK documents.
- The user interface is extremely simple which makes it easy to pick up and learn it.
- You can save files on different drives and you are capable of performing live updates on the storage file.
- You have the option to generate procedural vectors and self created as well.
- The effects and alterations on your designs are extremely fast, the refreshing is really quick no wasting time.
- When working with vectors you can see the direct result of your design in vector mode on a split view mode before exporting as raster image.
- Amazing brush control and customization.
- Automatically create a color pallet form an existing document.
- You can create multiple symmetry points to create outstanding designs in a breeze.
- The history is not deleted your history is saved all the way, so you can go back in your design.
- It works flawlessly in the iPad and you have as much control as the desktop version.
- You can works with multiple Art boards.
- I has photo shop most distinctive tools built in so you can remove backgrounds of images without using another software.
- It has designer constrains to help you visualize your design on different devices.
- Is extremely affordable price point is $69 one license with updates and $27.99 for iPad.

Cons

- You do not have the access to all of the Adobe programs like Premiere, Dream weaver, After effects, etc.
- The tools it has are not as convenient as the shape builder form the competitor.

Heidi S.

A wonderful substitute for Adobe Illustrator

Reviewed on 11/7/2018

Awesome alternative to Adobe products, clean interface and makes my project flow much more efficient.

Pros

I really like how intuitive the software is for designers who are familiar with any standard design platform. I've been using Serif products for 9 years now and have always been impressed with how affordable and functional their design software has always been. They made design accessible to anyone in a market where design software pricing made it out of reach for many struggling graphic artists and designers. This newest offering is, in my opinion, superior to the industry standard vector offering, Adobe Illustrator. At a base level Affinity Designer offers all of the functionality of it's competition, with more ease of use and a much more affordable rate.

Cons

As Affinity Designer is still fairly new there are some small bugs, however, the Affinity support team works hard to address those and update the software often. Also, while most of the features are super intuitive the more advanced offerings can be harder to figure out. More tutorials offered by the company and the design community would be beneficial to allow people to really get all of the value that they can. The software is capable of so much but learning about those advanced features can be frustrating.

Glen S.
  • Industry: Graphic Design

Dump Illustrator and use this epically great software

Reviewed on 2/12/2019

Very positive, I like how much power I have over the image I create! And how there are not so many panels everywhere it takes a while to get used to if you are switching from Adobe, but there is an elegance to their thinking!

Pros

Fluid ease of use, very little is a struggle to understand! Compared to Illustrator this is an exercise in brilliant illustration vector software! This is quality software well thought out and a joy to use!

Cons

Nothing, although gradients could be easier to apply! They are a struggle to find, but once you do they are logical and easy to find, just do not expect to find a panel for everything like in Adobe software!

Jason H.

Extremely viable alternative to Photoshop and Illustrator

Reviewed on 29/7/2019

Pros

The software is very familiar if you come from Photoshop and Illustrator, but manages to make it a smoother and more modern feeling experience. As far as I can tell all the main tools you'd need from Adobe's software is here. Best of all, you pay the price you'd pay for one month of Adobe software... and you actually own it! So if you can't or don't want to pay for the upgrade in a couple years, you aren't just up poop creek like you are with Adobe.

Cons

The only con I have encountered so far is the lack of a button you can hold to switch to colorpicker. This would speed up my workflow a fair bit.

Sasha-shae W.
  • Industry: Design

Vector meets Pixel in one simple app!

Reviewed on 4/9/2018

Overall I've used Affinity Designer to create logos, website layout wireframes and mockups, pdf documents, and a bunch of other things. It's really fast and doesn't lag at all

Pros

First and foremost, the cost of this app is stellar! You can't beat the price for what you're getting. AD is a vector and pixel based program and it's simplified workflows for those of us who wanted something different to the new subscriptions introduced by Adobe. I find AD really easy to jump into and use, and their tutorials out there are genuinely helpful, plus there are many 3rd party resources to help you learn more.

Cons

Since it's still a fairly new product, some features we may be used to in for example Illustrator, are not present. For one, I miss being able to do live traces and also I find the pathfinder functions work a little differently than they do in Illustrator.

• Industry: Animation

Affinity Designer - Exactly What I Need

Reviewed on 16/5/2019

I was searching for an escape route from Illustrator when I came across Affinity Designer. It was on sale at the time and I figured, 'how could I go wrong?' I bought it and haven't looked back since. I've also purchased Affinity Photo and I've been working with the Beta of their Publisher app. All are very impressive and I'd highly recommend them to anyone like me, looking for alternatives.

Pros

The interface is clean and makes good sense after watching a few of the tutorial videos. I really like how vertices adjustment handles work, they are quite intuitive for me. The non-destructive effects are great.

Cons

I found it a bit difficult at first to understand how layers worked, but after watching tutorials and some experimentation, it's become second nature. You can import *.ai files but you can't export them. Not a huge deal since it exports very nice PDF and EPS files.

Michael W.
  • Industry: Research

Excellent software to replace the bloated cost of Illustrator subscription

Reviewed on 21/5/2020

Great program for generating figures for scientific papers and grants.

Pros

Software is intuitive and can do all the things other brand name competitor software programs can do.

Cons

Sometimes high-content images are slower to manipulate and edit. However this doesn't occur on a frequent occasion.

Shasta P.
  • Industry: Arts & Crafts

Intuitive and friendly

Reviewed on 7/6/2019

As a long time vector artist I have used nearly everything and nothing comes close to the amazingly fluid and easy to use interface of Affinity Designer. Though it is missing some power tools from the bigger name software and it's predecessor. I find that I can complete any task that doesn't require any highly specialized tools in a fraction of the time in Affinity Designer with higher quality results.

Pros

- Intuitive and easy to learn user interface.
- Great selecting of tools.
- Highly flexible Import/Export options.
- Built-in high quality Pixel editing tools.

Cons

- Not well optimized. It clearly can not take advantage of modern hardware.
- Missing some specialized tools.

Sorin A.
  • Industry: Management Consulting

Photoshop killer?

Reviewed on 27/11/2019

I've used Affinity Designer mainly to get away from the Adobe subscription model. I've not only found it much cheaper, but also more capable in a lot of sections. The UI feels natural. The app loads fast and I get things done. What can I say? Designing on a budget doesn't have to look cheap!

Pros

- Affordable: It's a one price only, so you don't pay per month. How cool is that?

- Fast: The app loads fast and graphical effects are quickly applied. Designing felt very easy.

- Updates: Just like the big boys (Adobe), Affinity provides updates for the app. So you'll get more functionality and stability over time.

Cons

- Features: It doesn't have all the bells and whistles of Photoshop and it probably will never have them.

- Updates: We have to be honest - it's not updated as often as Adobe's counterpart.

- Affinity: It's not such a mature company yet, so it's safe to say you need to be cautious about planning your entire design future with them.

Carolina H.
  • Industry: Graphic Design

I like so much this software

Reviewed on 13/4/2020

I was looking an alternative to avoid monthly payments and I found it. This software Affinity Designer with just one time payment. I have not miss the other software. I found this software familiar to the other and I recommend if, you are looking a great option and price.

Pros

I do all my designs without problem; platform is easy to use, the functions is so complete and the best is one time payment so cheap and include updates.

Cons

I would like the export on PNG can be transparent too. This is possible on the photo edition.

Great Adobe Replacement

Reviewed on 28/1/2019

Overall, this is a great tool for beginners. If you don't mind having dedicated iOS apps and working the cloud and just using this platform as a start, then I would highly recommend this.

Pros

I have used the Adobe Suite before - Illustrator included. At the time it seemed like you needed to use one platform, since that was the standard. However since these lower cost options became available, the standards are a bit blurred and everything is starting to become compatible.

This is very easy to use and has a majority of the same features that Illustrator has ( for more than half the price)

Cons

Some of the tools - specifically text tools are lacking a little bit, there seem to be updates happening fairly often, which are addressing some of the problems.

• Industry: Telecommunications

Affinity Designer Honest Review

Reviewed on 15/8/2019

Well, it helps a lot for me because every day, I need to make some post on my Facebook page, and this software is a blessing for me.

Pros

I was searching for software would be alternative to Photoshop, and I found "Affinity Designer" This software is so powerful.

The most I like to this software is: It is a LIFETIME LICENSE. Very cost-effective to those beginners like me. Also, there's a lot of tutorials online, especially on YouTube.

Cons

Honestly, I don't see any cons so far, and I really love using it for my everyday task.

A great value

Reviewed on 31/8/2020

While I ended up switching back to Photoshop for the reasons listed above, Affinity is actually a fantastic deal for anyone on a budget

Pros

- considering what you get for how little Affinity Designer costs, it's hard not to at least try it out
- carries over much of the functionality from Photoshop

Cons

- coming from Photoshop, the UI takes a while to get used to. Many tools/commands are similar but different
- deciding when to use Designer vs Photo is confusing

Masa H.
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

I feel like it's overstuffed with features.

Reviewed on 4/7/2020

Pros

I ended up here because other companies' subscriptions are too expensive. It goes up surprisingly cheaply in terms of features. It's very convenient that it can handle all the popular file formats from other companies.

Cons

There are other open-source, free apps with similar features, but they don't make much difference in use. I can't shake the feeling that something is going on. I wish it were easier to use. Maybe it's because it doesn't feel like an iPad when you want to use the pen in Windows.

Mxolisi K.
  • Industry: Design

Affinity Designer is perfect for beginners

Reviewed on 21/9/2018

The one major benefit and the reason I started using Affinity is the fact that its cheaper than Adobe Illustrator as you do only once-off payment compared to the monthly subscription you are tied to with Adobe.

Pros

This software is perfect for new and professional designers. It's easy to learn and understand and can go toe to toe with the best design software at a much lower price point. If you are familiar with any other design software you'll quickly get the hang of Affinity Designer. In the tool selection you are spoilt for choice, if you can think it chances are this software has a tool to bring it to life. Pen tool, pencil tool for custom shapes, brush tool and gradient tool to name a few. Affinity is amazing I definitely recommend it to you.

Cons

This software is easy to use, cheaper than the closest competitor and does everything at the same level if not better, there isn't anything I can think of as draw back or that I like the least its a well thought out software and is perfect for the work I do.

• Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

Affinity Designer is a great money-saving option

Reviewed on 9/11/2019

Affinity Designer is a great choice for any designer looking for a cheap alternate to the most popular tools of the market. I loved that the interfaces and tools were similar to what I was used to.

Pros

A lot of the features I used in other softwares were present in some form here. There was a bit of a learning curve, but they kept interfaces similar enough as to not totally confuse users making the jump.

Cons

There were a couple of features that I used in other softwares that were missing. I did also like how different programs integrated with one another, but since this is the only one everything seemed a bit packed in.

Patrick A.
  • Industry: Furniture

Works for Me

Reviewed on 25/4/2019

Pros

Great feature set. Good UI. Does everything I need it to. I switched to Affinity from adobe and the transition was pretty much problem free. In fact I prefer working with the affinity products. I love that I was able to buy it outright for a nominal fee instead of a monthly subscription and cloud based type of thing.

Cons

There are some shortcuts and quick key type of functions that I am missing, although I may be able to set them up with some research and custom configuration. The functions are all there but sometimes the flow isn't.

Brian K.
  • Used Other for 1-5 months

Very affordable alternative design tool than Adobe Illustrator!

Reviewed on 4/7/2018

Great alternative to Illustrator, and great time saver if Illustrator crashes my file! I can turn to Designer if Illustrator starts to misbehave!

Pros

The great fact is that I can just paid once and forget it. I don't have to be concerned about paid upgrades for in the future. And this is the most important factor that I had considered before investing on AD.

Modern and simple user interface to work with. It has got almost all the basic functions that Adobe Illustrator offers. Simple workflows and tools (and colourful icons as well) are readily found within the menu and tool sets. Also, in terms of certain workflows in designing graphics, it is actually more intuitive and I can achieve the same result with fewer steps.

AD had gained popularity and mass appeal users from notorious Adobe Illustrator and other graphic tools. It can do almost all kinds of design within the software.

Cons

What I found lacking is that it does not support plugins like Adobe Illustrator does. Also, it is not updated as frequent as Adobe Illustrator does. Certain complex design workflows may be not easily achievable within AD with a few steps. There is still room for improvement though for the software to be as powerful and even better than Illustrator.

Marco Z.
  • Industry: Graphic Design

The best vector app available!

Reviewed on 13/1/2020

My experience with affinity designer has been amazing! I have purchase both on Mac and pc, it is THE BEST vector art software for the price!

Pros

Affinity designer has a robust vector and raster set of tools. It runs super smooth with at a fluid 60fps that makes vector art creation a dream. The export persona allows you to export to multiple files at the same time with extensive compatibility most major vector art software. Hundreds of history states with little to no slowdown. And ridiculous zoom capability and a price that you can’t beat!!

Cons

An area where it could improve is in its lack of ability to “auto vectorize” artwork like other vector software

Sam W.
  • Industry: Animation

Doesn't get better....for the price!

Reviewed on 11/4/2019

Affinity Designer fill a critical spot of when I don't want to have to pay a monthly fee to use illustrator but still need something that is powerful enough for almost every job!

Pros

I bought this software with fairly low expectations...and they were blown away! I use this software way more than I was expecting and although it missing a few features, its a serious illustrator competitor. For the money, it's really hard to beat. I got it on sale for $30 which is the price of just one month of illustrator.

Cons

It's still missing a few features I'd like to see that illustrator has but it's updated pretty frequently so I expect them to come at some point.

Affinity Designer- Illustrator-level features at a Fraction of the cost

Reviewed on 3/4/2018

I have been using a very old (CD-era) copy of Adobe Illustrator because I could not get myself to pay the upgrade cost. Most of what I would need from a drawing program could be done with the basic toolset and wouldn't justify the cost of Illustrator. Although some online tools like Vectrr and Aviary are nice, they weren't deeply features, and frankly at times had performance issues. When Affinity Designer came along, it seems to have the power and stability of Illustrator without the expense. After giving it a try, I am very satisfied with the purchase. Although I am not a power-user, it does seem to be very deeply featured.

Pros

Affinity Designer is a deeply-featured vector drawing software system on par with Adobe Illustrator at a fraction of the price.

Cons

Some of the features and functions of the tool feel a bit unnatural if you are converting over from Illustrator, so it will take some getting used to, but it is worth it!

Brittany P.

Affinity Designer is the practical, cost-effective solution to other professional design...

Reviewed on 17/1/2018

A cost-effective solution to mainstream design packages that offers all of the functionality one could ever need in designing.

Pros

The price of Affinity is hard to beat -- I am an accidental graphic designer for smaller parts of my job and, with no formal education, training, or experience, I didn't want to make a large investment in the mainstream design software. Affinity can do everything that I could ever dream of and is a breeze to learn.

Cons

I wish there were more "tutorials" in the software itself, but that's likely only because I had no idea what I was doing when I first started using Affinity. After diving in, the software is quite user friendly!

Hardian N.
  • Industry: Industrial Automation

Yes it is comparable with Photoshop

Reviewed on 11/6/2020

sometimes i have to edit artwork for display ads, it works well on my case. I haven't use it for heavy duty work, but i think Affinity can handle it well

Pros

- Felt like home for someone who trying to move from adobe photoshop
- fully featured comparable to adobe photoshop
- Very affordable and no subscription model
- Can open PSD file
- Different tool placement but crucial in step, more faster on some activity, like filter, font character.
- fast compared to photoshop some
- have access to free photo site directly on the software, like unsplash.

Cons

- new data format, I have no friends that use it, but it can export to PSD but i dont know the quality of the format.
- brush sometimes, rarely, doesn't work, after repeat clickety work again.

Flavio A.

An interesting alternative to Illustrator

Reviewed on 28/7/2019

Pros

When compared to the ubiquitous Adobe Illustrator, Affinity Designer is a more affordable vector software and the learning curve is minimal. If you're familiar with the Adobe Suite you will recognise tools and elements that are quite similar to Illustrator and even Photoshop, so getting started should be really straightforward. It also allows you to import Illustrator files, which works surprisingly well.

Cons

- Occasional crashes when working with larger files.
- Lacks some advanced features that are found in Illustrator