Shotcut

Open-source video editing tool for creative professionals

4.8/5
4.3/5
4.0/5
4/5

56 Software options

Gerald Q.

Fantastic Free Open Source Video Editor

Reviewed on 22/9/2019

So far I've had no problems with Shotcut. Since the amount of scene transitions is limited I find myself concentrating more on the quality of the scenes themselves instead of the transitions, which is a good thing. This program is perfect for those on a budget or for a beginner. If you can master Shotcut, you'll be in perfect shape to advance to a more expensive program later on. This will definitely teach you the basics for free before you decide to lay out your cash. All in all I'm very pleased with Shotcut, I highly recommend it.

Pros

You can't beat the price (Free!). This program gets the job done. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles as expensive programs but it does plenty enough to do most basic projects. I've done numerous music videos and little comedy skits that I've uploaded to YouTube and they come out great. They look totally professional and the feedback I've gotten has been very positive. My action camera records in .mov format which is hard to edit with. I convert my raw files to .mp4 which makes editing much easier and I'm unable to discern any loss of video quality. All in all, Shotcut has been a great choice for me.

Cons

Some of the functions aren't intuitive. It takes a little while to figure out how everything works. Also it's slow while it publishes your final work but if you're patient it's well worth the wait to save money. It lacks a variety of scene transitions that more expensive programs have but it does have the basics.

Reasons for Switching to Shotcut

I was looking at Filmora because I had used it in the past on someone else's computer. At the time I didn't have enough to buy Filmora and the free version wasn't going to allow me to finish the project I was working on. I came across Shotcut and decided to give it a try. I finished my project and many more. I keep telling myself that I'll upgrade when Shotcut can't do the job for me. Well that time hasn't come yet.
Roshen D.
  • Industry: Computer Games

Shotcut: The Free Editor You Have Been Missing Out On

Reviewed on 11/2/2020

Overall, I think Shotcut is a great free video editor that anyone can use after a little bit of practice and through some of my testing I found out that it can even process some raw 8K footage from a camera we rented.

Pros

What I liked most about the software was that it had the features of a professional video editor such as Adobe Premiere Pro. It could also process 4K HDR 10 video at 120FPS which other video editors struggled to render these types of video formats. My favorite part about it is that it doesn't have an ANNOYING WATERMARK. Basically some of the other editors I tried showed a giant watermark across the screen that said the company name or it said Free Version but Shotcut has no watermark.

Cons

Originally when my team picked this software for free I thought it was going to be easy to use but I thought wrong. But after a few days of learning I was using Shotcut in no time. I just think people should know that because it isn't easy to learn at the start doesn't mean you can't learn it.

Reasons for Switching to Shotcut

Once I used Filmora I thought it was a great software since it was easy to use and it was efficient. But there was a watermark. I was open to paying a little bit of money if it allowed us to edit our videos well but we also didn't make that many videos so we didn't want to pay a lot of money. But 59.99 is a ridiculous price and we need editing for two computer so I wasn't going to break the bank for Filmora
Arturo L.
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

The free video editor that everyone should try out

Reviewed on 21/7/2021

Honestly to be free, this video editor makes you fulfill that dream of being a video editor for a major company or for some famous influencer, as it fully meets your expectations and can be somewhat confusing at first, but the truth is enough just to look at some video for beginners for this software, and you get used to the editor quickly, very satisfied and I see very few disadvantages to this software.

Pros

The advantages that this software has, are quite a few, since the more you go searching among the tools, the more you can get the most out of your video, I could consider it quite professional, since it has a very comfortable interface and you feel that you are doing a very good job for your personal projects and convert them even in studio quality videos, since when you finish your video, you can choose with any format for the type of social network to which you want to upload it. And all this for being free, I really highly recommend this video editor meets almost all your expectations, with settings to switch between the different layers you go making, your audio, video and photos. So you can give it an even more professional look.

Cons

It could be that there are many tools, which can get confusing and thus take you some time to get used to the software format, another could be that, as we are talking about a professional video editor, obviously, this application will consume a lot of your computer, so I do recommend having about 8 GB of RAM, a good processor and maybe a good graphic card, to be able to support this application, because if you don't have space in the RAM or you don't have a good processor, the application becomes somewhat slow and it could even stop and quit, so take into account to be able to save your work before.

Heather B.
  • Industry: Music
  • Used for 6-12 months

Best Free Video Editor for the Beginner!

Reviewed on 1/5/2020

Wonderful! At times a bit frustrating with the lag and sometimes overwhelming with the amount of options, especially when you have no idea what you're doing. BUT! There are a ton of free videos and tutorials both on Shotcut's website, as well as YouTube tutorials from users, and they're fantastic. You can use them as a tutorial to learn the software and the feature you want to use, and keep them bookmarked for references. But I admit, the 4K export option (while it can take a LONG time, depending on the length of your video) makes it incredibly worthwhile, especially if your exporting in a format to upload to YouTube. Definitely recommend for the beginning video editor!

Pros

1) This software is free to use with no watermarks or weird annoying ads. 2) It's fantastic for the beginning video editor. 3) Works perfectly on a PC where as I think most of the better video editors have been designed for Macs (personal opinion) 4) Allows you export in a large number of different formats, including YouTube in 4K resolution 5) So many options and features, it's almost overwhelming! 6) Fantastic interface!

Cons

If you're running other programs or working on a very big project, this can eat up your computer memory, causing lagging and freezing. Highly recommended to close all other programs before opening up Shotcut and using a computer or laptop with a fast processor. You can make due without it, but once you add any transitions or layers, it'll start freezing. The preview feature so you can see what you've already done can also be a bit slow and glitchy... Imagine skipping one frame out of every three frames. However, it does NOT export this way. I have no experience with other video editors, so I'm not sure if that's a common theme among them.

Syed R.

Shotcut-'is a dynamic tool with lots of features to create professional videos'

Reviewed on 21/9/2020

My overall experience with Shotcut is very good. You can be a dynamic creator with Shotcut. I would say I like to use this tool.

Pros

I am using Shotcut to edit videos and I absolutely enjoy it when I work with it. Video editing became very interesting because shotcut because the stock is full of lots of features. I like the fact that Shocut is an easy application to create stunning videos for various purposes. This tool allows the beginners to create the amazing design free and the resolution is very good. As much as you use it you can discover more about the tool.

Cons

I think to create a perfect video you need to go through the tutorials which is time-consuming. I also observed too much functionality sometimes confusing for beginners.

Tyler T.
  • Used for 1+ year

Best open source video editor

Reviewed on 15/4/2018

Able to edit videos quickly. Able to create videos from images. Able to screen record gaming videos.

Pros

It's free! Shotcut being free doesn't mean that it is low quality though. There is a huge community that supports it, and continually work to make it better and add more features. The most useful feature to me is the the drag and drop, I can literally make a video in just a couple minutes if I need to upload something quickly but it has tons of powerful features that I can use if I need to make a higher quality video.

Cons

Nothing really to complain about now. Some of the older versions had issues with dragging to the timeline, but this was fixed a few updates ago.

Michael j N.

Supports me video editing needs

Reviewed on 20/12/2019

I can edit recorded video or make my own video presentations with custom audio soundtrack. The software has been improving consistently when new versions are released.

Pros

The Timeline has been getting easier and more functional with drag and drop ease and the next version is supposed to support moving multiple clips at the same time. FFMPEG provides compatibility with almost every video format. Supports 4K video!

Cons

Crashes occasionally when moving audio or playing with the timeline. This has improved with recent versions and there are tricks you can do to improve stability.

Abel R.

The best free video editing software there IS

Reviewed on 31/7/2019

The best video editing and FREE software there is which fills all my needs. It is the perfect official tool for making a video with a professional touch.

Pros

Shortcut is just the perfect video editing software anyone who is looking to make a video wants. It contain all the necessary tools from video editing, text editing, sound editing with a ton extra features which will take A LONG TIME for learning completely!!!!! The overlay tool is just great and is the perfect animation there is.

Cons

The great features outweighs the simple errors of the problem. The feel that it is very good software. But they can add more features and highlight the text overlay feature, add an inbuilt tutorial as it is a little difficult to get used to. When using the overlay function within the app, it sometimes gets stuck but there will be no problem in the final video.

Parakrama D.

Fantastic software that provides access to features only available in expensive software

Reviewed on 5/6/2018

Pros

I love being able to access a quality video editing software with features that would normally only be accessible through the purchase of an expensive video editing package. I can edit high quality 4k videos using this open source software for free!

Cons

The software is a bit difficult to get used to and while there are loads of features it can take time to learn how to use them.

Vuk D.
  • Industry: Design

Shotcut is the best editing software ever!!!!

Reviewed on 3/7/2019

Pros

Shotcut is really easy to use and it is free,exporting is also efficient

Cons

It needs more and better transitions and effects.

Chandra Y.

Easy to use software

Reviewed on 6/7/2021

I have enjoyed learning an using Shotcut as my first video editing experience. I have recommended it to many others

Pros

In addition to ease of use. I like the features of multi tracks and the long list of filters for editing.

Cons

The software gets a little slow when I have too many features going at once, but that may be due to internet connection during peak times.

Sam N.
  • Industry: Business Supplies & Equipment

One of the best free softwares!!

Reviewed on 3/4/2019

Pros

Has everything I need for amateur video editor! Has a lot of useful functions that aren't normally included in free software.

Cons

Not the most intuitive software some functions are kind of hidden, but there are a lot of functions so the trade-off is worth it

Michael C.
  • Used for 1+ year

A Must Have For Amateur Video Editors

Reviewed on 19/5/2021

A true delight if I have to be honest. It made the work so much better.

Pros

If the fact that Shoctut is open source (free) isn't enough for you to use it allow me to go deeper. Shotcut is a very simple and easy to use video editor. Before using more sophisticated software for video editing it was what helped me get familiar with a lot of concepts that were completely alien to me and it taught me how to use channels and separate audio from the video files and other useful things that looked too complicated to do in similar software. Usually when you open video editing software you're met with so many buttons and so much information that it gets scary to even try. Shotcut was what allowed me to start with its simple and minimalistic interface. You have all the necessary information and buttons to work with and if and only if you want to go deeper you'll have to face the more complex functions of the software.

I think that my favorite thing about Shotcut is how easy it is to create proxies for heavy videos. Similar software requires an additional encoder when with Shotcut it's a simple 3-5 step process. It's a must for who is starting out and feels like the popular software is either too expensive or too overwhelming.

Cons

As you could probably expect Shotcut doesn't have some of the features of the higher end video editing software such as powerful color correction. Other than that I have no complaints. The software is really good and lightweight and even has a portable version.

Rahul P.
  • Industry: Oil & Energy
  • Company size: 5,001-10,000 Employees

Best opensource video editor for Linux , Windows and Mac

Reviewed on 8/5/2021

Pretty good and stable product on Linux but its not that stable in low end windows machines

Pros

Very User friendly interface.
All the list of keyboard shortcuts are available inside the app.
Hardware acceleration.
Completely free and opensource.
Stable on Linux and Mac.
Project autosaving feature is excellent. (Always save the file automatically even if app crashes)
Large amount of export formats.
Great amount of tutorials and great community.

Cons

The windows version is not that stable i encountered some crashes when i open keyframe editing for video effects (Well i run on a 4GB Ram not the recommended requirements of the developer).
I found the app is not completely utilizing the ram on my windows version.

Olivia B.
  • Industry: Market Research
  • Used for 6-12 months

free video editing

Reviewed on 5/9/2019

Simple to use, free video editing software which gives you great quality outputs, but may take a while to fully understand and learn the features available.

Pros

Shotcut has some great features and is quite simple to use, best of all you get all of this for free. I use it to create video montages from recordings of respondent interviews. It allows me to cut long videos, and group together multiple clips. It also has the option to add in many fade out / fade in options and effects. the options to export from he playlist or the timeline are very useful and the video outputs are high quality

Cons

I had to search online for a while to work out how to export individual clips rather than the whole timeline, it would have been preferable if this was clearer as when i first started using this software I wasted a lot of time. the software can also freeze occasionally, but this is somewhat to be expected with the sizes of the files used.

Tabish P.
  • Industry: Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing

The Best Free Video Editor that beats Primer pro

Reviewed on 21/2/2020

Pros

-The Free and easy to use Ui helps a lot if you are student. Or any one which is just entering the digital video editing career.

Cons

- the ablitiy to edit 8k footage is still not available

Krishnan R.
  • Industry: Telecommunications
  • Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

Shotcut - Cuts off your time to create a video

Reviewed on 31/10/2019

short learning curve
and the experience was good when I had to create a video with subtitles embedded in the video.

Pros

- Videomaker provides various transitions and effects to include in your video
- A plethora of export options to explore
- It is free for most of the features
- Can import images, audio, video and arrange in sequence with various effects and transitions to make your video a professional.

Cons

- The popup button hep timing is very low. The help popup disappears before we could read and comprehend.
- A voice base commands interpreter like a directors voice could be helpful for accessibility

Jociele S.

Great video editing software

Reviewed on 23/9/2020

I use Shotcut to edit video lessons and videos to correct questions (Mathematics) to post on my channel. The software meets all my needs.

Pros

The software has a wide range of editing tools. You can use creativity without fear because the program brings many editing options. You can edit videos, music, audios, etc. And all free of charge!

Cons

Some tools are poorly explained, both in terms of their function and how to use it.

Sharmila J.
  • Used for 1-5 months

Good video editor and it is free

Reviewed on 4/12/2019

Able to create nice video announcements with personalised images and text which is what I was looking for.

Pros

I have just started with video editing for church use and looking for web based editors and couldn't find any and that is when I came across Shotcut which is a opensource editor. My needs are basic and this tool gets the job done. I am able to combine multiple videos add some images and text and the output is really neat.

Cons

There is a learning curve and I am still learning things on the go. I don't find any fault with the software as yet.

Chris C.

Easy, Light Weight Video Editing

Reviewed on 31/1/2019

I was looking for a simple, easy to use video editor that would run on my older Mac. Shotcut was the only product of the half dozen I tried that worked well.

Pros

Fast and simple. Does what I need without too many confusing extras or "bloat."

Cons

User interface and layout of windows can be confusing at times.

Sam Z.
  • Industry: Animation

It's decent for a free program.

Reviewed on 28/9/2020

I use Shotcut for my animation work and basic editing.

Pros

Functionally, it's very similar to Premiere. The layout is also familiar. It's fairly easy to use, and it's free, so that's a major plus.

Cons

It lacks some surprising functionality that makes it frustrating to use. I cannot copy multiple clips at a time, which is a bit of a problem. The tools also don't seem particularly robust, but again, for free it's hard to complain.

Cristhian josue J.
  • Industry: Design

Shotcut, a lightweight and useful cross-platform video editor

Reviewed on 5/9/2021

Sometime I got to produce a visual series for an LP using this video editor, I was able to produce something visually appealing, but on occasions, I was limited by the features and tools of this software, Shotcut saved me when my PC couldn't handle powerful video editors and allowed me to design something that my clients ended up loving.

Sometimes we don't need to invest much money to captivate our clients.

Pros

What I like about Shotcut is that it is free and very light, few video editors bet on a multiplatform network that permits us to continue our project on any operating system, and this is the most looking thing about this software.

If what you're looking for is a video editor that leaves you to work on any PC, this is the right one, because just as you can work on a low-specs Windows, you can work on a Mac of previous generations.

Cons

This video editor looks and works like an early version of any top video editor, if you miss windows movie maker, Shotcut is that limited and basic software that for some reason you're looking for.

The possibilities of making professional projects with this video editor are impossible, aspects like colorization or effects are so basic if not almost non-existent.

If you have the possibility to install a heavier video editor there are free alternatives that would be more useful.

Craige hardel -.

Awsome and well put togeether

Reviewed on 18/10/2020

I used it for a couple of course videos and it handled well especially on linux. Surprised at what we were able to get and actually completely most of our workload on time

Pros

It's functional and does most of what you'd want from an editor. Cross platform as well

Cons

lack greenscreen functionality. Struggled with slightly more advanced edits

DaVinci Resolve

Reasons for Switching to Shotcut

Simplier and less process intensive.
Gregg B.
  • Industry: Religious Institutions

Very good open source video editor

Reviewed on 1/3/2019

I was looking for a lightweight cross-platform video editing system for my laptop that could export easily to my more robust desktop editing platform and for basic edits and output for preview, and Shotcut will work well for this. I'm still undecided if it'll be a long term solution, but it is a surprisingly well thought out open source program that will fit many video editors' needs.

Pros

I'd like to start by saying Shotcut is a very good, multi-platform video editing solution. Even video editors with little to no experience will find the layout and usability of Shotcut to be appealing and usable. Import and organization of video files is straightforward and an array of basic editing tools will enable many users to complete high-quality video projects with little investment. Color grading and clip correction tools are surprisingly good for a free program. Another big plus is that it is lightweight, meaning it delivers a lot of power for a small program size and doesn't slow down real-time rendering trying to do too many other things.

Cons

Again, Shotcut is a very good video editing solution - up to a point. Once your project gets more complex, the clip organization, preview speed and ability to integrate pre-set transitions and titles falls a little short. It'll get the job done, but other tools offer a more robust option.

John H.

A perfect evolution from Movie Maker

Reviewed on 16/8/2018

Pros

As Windows Movie Maker has now discontinued, Shotcut provides a great alternative for video editing without a cost.

The interface is intuitive and the functions are easy to get used to quickly.

Cons

This does provide a basic video editing service and so if you are wanting to have more effects/functionality then you will be best going for Adobe Premiere Pro. But for a free solution, it works great.