Shotcut

Open-source video editing tool for creative professionals

Write a Review!
Olivia B.
Industry: Market Research

free video editing

Reviewed on 5/9/2019

Simple to use, free video editing software which gives you great quality outputs, but may take a while to fully understand and learn the features available.

Pros

Shotcut has some great features and is quite simple to use, best of all you get all of this for free. I use it to create video montages from recordings of respondent interviews. It allows me to cut long videos, and group together multiple clips. It also has the option to add in many fade out / fade in options and effects. the options to export from he playlist or the timeline are very useful and the video outputs are high quality

Cons

I had to search online for a while to work out how to export individual clips rather than the whole timeline, it would have been preferable if this was clearer as when i first started using this software I wasted a lot of time. the software can also freeze occasionally, but this is somewhat to be expected with the sizes of the files used.

Tabish P.
Industry: Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing

The Best Free Video Editor that beats Primer pro

Reviewed on 21/2/2020

Pros

-The Free and easy to use Ui helps a lot if you are student. Or any one which is just entering the digital video editing career.

Cons

- the ablitiy to edit 8k footage is still not available

Krishnan R.
Industry: Telecommunications
Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

Shotcut - Cuts off your time to create a video

Reviewed on 31/10/2019

short learning curve
and the experience was good when I had to create a video with subtitles embedded in the video.

Pros

- Videomaker provides various transitions and effects to include in your video
- A plethora of export options to explore
- It is free for most of the features
- Can import images, audio, video and arrange in sequence with various effects and transitions to make your video a professional.

Cons

- The popup button hep timing is very low. The help popup disappears before we could read and comprehend.
- A voice base commands interpreter like a directors voice could be helpful for accessibility

Jociele S.
Industry: Education Management

Great video editing software

Reviewed on 23/9/2020

I use Shotcut to edit video lessons and videos to correct questions (Mathematics) to post on my channel. The software meets all my needs.

Pros

The software has a wide range of editing tools. You can use creativity without fear because the program brings many editing options. You can edit videos, music, audios, etc. And all free of charge!

Cons

Some tools are poorly explained, both in terms of their function and how to use it.

Sharmila J.
Industry: Computer Software

Good video editor and it is free

Used Other for 1-5 months
Reviewed on 4/12/2019

Able to create nice video announcements with personalised images and text which is what I was looking for.

Pros

I have just started with video editing for church use and looking for web based editors and couldn't find any and that is when I came across Shotcut which is a opensource editor. My needs are basic and this tool gets the job done. I am able to combine multiple videos add some images and text and the output is really neat.

Cons

There is a learning curve and I am still learning things on the go. I don't find any fault with the software as yet.

Chris C.

Easy, Light Weight Video Editing

Reviewed on 31/1/2019

I was looking for a simple, easy to use video editor that would run on my older Mac. Shotcut was the only product of the half dozen I tried that worked well.

Pros

Fast and simple. Does what I need without too many confusing extras or "bloat."

Cons

User interface and layout of windows can be confusing at times.

Sam Z.
Industry: Animation
Company size: Self Employed

It's decent for a free program.

Reviewed on 28/9/2020

I use Shotcut for my animation work and basic editing.

Pros

Functionally, it's very similar to Premiere. The layout is also familiar. It's fairly easy to use, and it's free, so that's a major plus.

Cons

It lacks some surprising functionality that makes it frustrating to use. I cannot copy multiple clips at a time, which is a bit of a problem. The tools also don't seem particularly robust, but again, for free it's hard to complain.

Craige hardel -.
Industry: Marketing & Advertising

Awsome and well put togeether

Reviewed on 18/10/2020

I used it for a couple of course videos and it handled well especially on linux. Surprised at what we were able to get and actually completely most of our workload on time

Pros

It's functional and does most of what you'd want from an editor. Cross platform as well

Cons

lack greenscreen functionality. Struggled with slightly more advanced edits

Gregg B.
Industry: Religious Institutions

Very good open source video editor

Reviewed on 1/3/2019

I was looking for a lightweight cross-platform video editing system for my laptop that could export easily to my more robust desktop editing platform and for basic edits and output for preview, and Shotcut will work well for this. I'm still undecided if it'll be a long term solution, but it is a surprisingly well thought out open source program that will fit many video editors' needs.

Pros

I'd like to start by saying Shotcut is a very good, multi-platform video editing solution. Even video editors with little to no experience will find the layout and usability of Shotcut to be appealing and usable. Import and organization of video files is straightforward and an array of basic editing tools will enable many users to complete high-quality video projects with little investment. Color grading and clip correction tools are surprisingly good for a free program. Another big plus is that it is lightweight, meaning it delivers a lot of power for a small program size and doesn't slow down real-time rendering trying to do too many other things.

Cons

Again, Shotcut is a very good video editing solution - up to a point. Once your project gets more complex, the clip organization, preview speed and ability to integrate pre-set transitions and titles falls a little short. It'll get the job done, but other tools offer a more robust option.

Dylan G.
Industry: Arts & Crafts
Company size: Self Employed

A good solution for free video editing.

Reviewed on 17/4/2020

I don't edit video often but when I tried this software it did exactly what I needed it to and worked as I expected it to function without having to learn a lot of new stuff. I'm sure it could tackle even more robust projects than the simple clips I was using it for. I highly recommend it.

Pros

As free software, this is very functional and easy to use. It has features that make converting and editing video fairly simple. It was much easier to use than other free video editing software I've tried, and has more features too.

Cons

Outputing the video to a usable file can be complicated if you don't know what you are doing. Expect to try it a few times before you get what you want.

John H.
Industry: E-Learning

A perfect evolution from Movie Maker

Reviewed on 16/8/2018

Pros

As Windows Movie Maker has now discontinued, Shotcut provides a great alternative for video editing without a cost.

The interface is intuitive and the functions are easy to get used to quickly.

Cons

This does provide a basic video editing service and so if you are wanting to have more effects/functionality then you will be best going for Adobe Premiere Pro. But for a free solution, it works great.

Christopher A.
Industry: Dairy

Fast and professional, ShotCut makes me look good

Used Weekly for Free Trial
Reviewed on 17/4/2020

I had to quickly learn to work with video for story time and craft programs our community center was going to begin posting on their Facebook page. With ShotCut I was spinning out video in just a couple of days practice and my editing became more advance each time I used it. By the looks of what it has to offer it will be a long time before I master ShotCut but I was quickly making quality programs with attractive special effects.

Pros

I appreciate the ease of operation, particularity for first time users. I began using ShotCut almost daily for two week and Every time I use the program I learn something new and it seems the abilities of ShotCut would satisfy even the seasoned professional editor.

Cons

This is the first video editor I have used, so I have nothing to compare it to. Fortunately, I chose ShotCut because of the free version without any strings attached and was lucky to have picked a program that is simple and vast with what it offers.

Zackery M.
Industry: Automotive

Made video editing a breeze

Reviewed on 18/2/2020

We were able to speed up the process of trouble shooting and making training videos for my employees. I am able to record a problem and edit the video to demonstrate how to effectively troubleshoot a problem.

Pros

The ease of use is what i like most about his software. What used to take me hours i can now do in a fraction of the time. The ease of importing videos directly to the timeline has really helped out.

Cons

Instructions are not the most clear as far as changing properties, and added different effects to a project

Jauhari L.
Industry: Retail

Can't complain

Used Monthly for 2+ years
Reviewed on 21/8/2019

Pros

Shotcut is a free video application that allows you to do everything that a paid video software does. I like that I can use chroma key to insert my own backgrounds into videos, something that's useful for my YouTube videos.

Cons

Shotcut is a good application however it freezes a lot even with my computer which has 16 gigs of ram.

Nicole C.
Industry: Food & Beverages

Video editing

Used Monthly for 1+ year
Reviewed on 20/11/2019

If you are on a budget and looking for a video editor, Shotcut is for you.

Pros

Shotcut is the only video editing tool that I found that doesn't add a watermark to the video. Also has some nice filters to add to the video, or the audio.

Cons

When reviewing your edited video, it will start to run really slow and acts a bit glitchy. When finalizing the video, it turns out fine.

Industry: Consumer Goods
Company size: Self Employed

Finally, a free video editor that JUST works

Reviewed on 4/8/2020

Shotcut is a great tool to get started with video editing and understanding the basics before investing in expensive software.

Pros

Shotcut is a powerful open-source video editing option that works on any OS. It has all of the features you come to expect and exports to all the formats you need (even animated gif!)

Cons

With any software, there is a learning curve, but shotcut was relatively easy to pick up. One downfall is there really isn't a market for plug-ins so it can only get you so-far.

Industry: Mechanical or Industrial Engineering

Create Software for Creating Quality Videos

Used Other for 1-5 months
Reviewed on 25/10/2018

Pros

This software is great, you can make quality videos easily. The software is easy to use and allows you to compile videos clips, make edits to the clips, add music, and so much more.

Cons

The software was incredible at putting clips together and making a smooth transition from one clip to another, it did however take some doing to get it just right. The final product was also real choppy when previewing it, so always had to export to see what it actually looked like, which wasnt choppy at all.

Clive V.
Industry: Health, Wellness & Fitness

Shotcut Review

Reviewed on 2/2/2020

Pros

As a someone new to video editing I was looking for for free software to start a YouTube channel and edit videos. It's open source and free so that was great!

Cons

As a newbie to video edoti6it was really daunting and I could not find a simple beginners guide to using this software

Joel S.
Industry: Music
Company size: Self Employed

the best beginner editing software

Reviewed on 15/6/2019

Pros

its ease of use is amazing. since I'm an amateur editor this was surprisingly easy to learn and has all the basic features I need. the user interface is a breeze to navigate and its also easy on the eyes.

Cons

it has some limited features which can slow down your work.

Heather B.
Industry: Music

Best Free Video Editor for the Beginner!

Reviewed on 1/5/2020

Wonderful! At times a bit frustrating with the lag and sometimes overwhelming with the amount of options, especially when you have no idea what you're doing. BUT! There are a ton of free videos and tutorials both on Shotcut's website, as well as YouTube tutorials from users, and they're fantastic. You can use them as a tutorial to learn the software and the feature you want to use, and keep them bookmarked for references. But I admit, the 4K export option (while it can take a LONG time, depending on the length of your video) makes it incredibly worthwhile, especially if your exporting in a format to upload to YouTube. Definitely recommend for the beginning video editor!

Pros

1) This software is free to use with no watermarks or weird annoying ads. 2) It's fantastic for the beginning video editor. 3) Works perfectly on a PC where as I think most of the better video editors have been designed for Macs (personal opinion) 4) Allows you export in a large number of different formats, including YouTube in 4K resolution 5) So many options and features, it's almost overwhelming! 6) Fantastic interface!

Cons

If you're running other programs or working on a very big project, this can eat up your computer memory, causing lagging and freezing. Highly recommended to close all other programs before opening up Shotcut and using a computer or laptop with a fast processor. You can make due without it, but once you add any transitions or layers, it'll start freezing. The preview feature so you can see what you've already done can also be a bit slow and glitchy... Imagine skipping one frame out of every three frames. However, it does NOT export this way. I have no experience with other video editors, so I'm not sure if that's a common theme among them.

Gerald Q.

Fantastic Free Open Source Video Editor

Reviewed on 22/9/2019

So far I've had no problems with Shotcut. Since the amount of scene transitions is limited I find myself concentrating more on the quality of the scenes themselves instead of the transitions, which is a good thing. This program is perfect for those on a budget or for a beginner. If you can master Shotcut, you'll be in perfect shape to advance to a more expensive program later on. This will definitely teach you the basics for free before you decide to lay out your cash. All in all I'm very pleased with Shotcut, I highly recommend it.

Pros

You can't beat the price (Free!). This program gets the job done. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles as expensive programs but it does plenty enough to do most basic projects. I've done numerous music videos and little comedy skits that I've uploaded to YouTube and they come out great. They look totally professional and the feedback I've gotten has been very positive. My action camera records in .mov format which is hard to edit with. I convert my raw files to .mp4 which makes editing much easier and I'm unable to discern any loss of video quality. All in all, Shotcut has been a great choice for me.

Cons

Some of the functions aren't intuitive. It takes a little while to figure out how everything works. Also it's slow while it publishes your final work but if you're patient it's well worth the wait to save money. It lacks a variety of scene transitions that more expensive programs have but it does have the basics.

Gean C.
Industry: Environmental Services

Basic shotcut experience

Reviewed on 9/9/2020

My experience, even with a few months of use, was positive in some aspects, in others not so much. the software did not meet my needs in terms of effects, but in relation to simple editing, it is a basic and efficient editor.

Pros

First of all, what I liked most was the functionality to be able to edit videos for free, the software has many functions, and you can edit the videos in a good quality without being relatively simple.

Cons

the interface is not so self-explanatory, there should be information next to each function, although the software is simple, it should have more text sources, more possibilities of effects, the effects are very old even in the most current version of the software. in relation to my business, the software failed to serve me in some aspects.

Roshen D.
Industry: Computer Games

Shotcut: The Free Editor You Have Been Missing Out On

Used Monthly for 6-12 months
Reviewed on 11/2/2020

Overall, I think Shotcut is a great free video editor that anyone can use after a little bit of practice and through some of my testing I found out that it can even process some raw 8K footage from a camera we rented.

Pros

What I liked most about the software was that it had the features of a professional video editor such as Adobe Premiere Pro. It could also process 4K HDR 10 video at 120FPS which other video editors struggled to render these types of video formats. My favorite part about it is that it doesn't have an ANNOYING WATERMARK. Basically some of the other editors I tried showed a giant watermark across the screen that said the company name or it said Free Version but Shotcut has no watermark.

Cons

Originally when my team picked this software for free I thought it was going to be easy to use but I thought wrong. But after a few days of learning I was using Shotcut in no time. I just think people should know that because it isn't easy to learn at the start doesn't mean you can't learn it.

Syed R.
Industry: Marketing & Advertising

Shotcut-'is a dynamic tool with lots of features to create professional videos'

Reviewed on 21/9/2020

My overall experience with Shotcut is very good. You can be a dynamic creator with Shotcut. I would say I like to use this tool.

Pros

I am using Shotcut to edit videos and I absolutely enjoy it when I work with it. Video editing became very interesting because shotcut because the stock is full of lots of features. I like the fact that Shocut is an easy application to create stunning videos for various purposes. This tool allows the beginners to create the amazing design free and the resolution is very good. As much as you use it you can discover more about the tool.

Cons

I think to create a perfect video you need to go through the tutorials which is time-consuming. I also observed too much functionality sometimes confusing for beginners.

Tyler T.
Company size: Self Employed

Best open source video editor

Used Other for 1+ year
Reviewed on 15/4/2018

Able to edit videos quickly. Able to create videos from images. Able to screen record gaming videos.

Pros

It's free! Shotcut being free doesn't mean that it is low quality though. There is a huge community that supports it, and continually work to make it better and add more features. The most useful feature to me is the the drag and drop, I can literally make a video in just a couple minutes if I need to upload something quickly but it has tons of powerful features that I can use if I need to make a higher quality video.

Cons

Nothing really to complain about now. Some of the older versions had issues with dragging to the timeline, but this was fixed a few updates ago.