Shotcut

Open-source video editing tool for creative professionals

4.5 /5 (48 reviews) Write a Review!

Clive V.

Shotcut Review

Reviewed on 2/2/2020

Pros

As a someone new to video editing I was looking for for free software to start a YouTube channel and edit videos. It's open source and free so that was great!

Cons

As a newbie to video edoti6it was really daunting and I could not find a simple beginners guide to using this software

Craige hardel -.

Awsome and well put togeether

Reviewed on 18/10/2020

I used it for a couple of course videos and it handled well especially on linux. Surprised at what we were able to get and actually completely most of our workload on time

Pros

It's functional and does most of what you'd want from an editor. Cross platform as well

Cons

lack greenscreen functionality. Struggled with slightly more advanced edits

Gregg B.
  • Industry: Religious Institutions

Very good open source video editor

Reviewed on 1/3/2019

I was looking for a lightweight cross-platform video editing system for my laptop that could export easily to my more robust desktop editing platform and for basic edits and output for preview, and Shotcut will work well for this. I'm still undecided if it'll be a long term solution, but it is a surprisingly well thought out open source program that will fit many video editors' needs.

Pros

I'd like to start by saying Shotcut is a very good, multi-platform video editing solution. Even video editors with little to no experience will find the layout and usability of Shotcut to be appealing and usable. Import and organization of video files is straightforward and an array of basic editing tools will enable many users to complete high-quality video projects with little investment. Color grading and clip correction tools are surprisingly good for a free program. Another big plus is that it is lightweight, meaning it delivers a lot of power for a small program size and doesn't slow down real-time rendering trying to do too many other things.

Cons

Again, Shotcut is a very good video editing solution - up to a point. Once your project gets more complex, the clip organization, preview speed and ability to integrate pre-set transitions and titles falls a little short. It'll get the job done, but other tools offer a more robust option.

John H.

A perfect evolution from Movie Maker

Reviewed on 16/8/2018

Pros

As Windows Movie Maker has now discontinued, Shotcut provides a great alternative for video editing without a cost.

The interface is intuitive and the functions are easy to get used to quickly.

Cons

This does provide a basic video editing service and so if you are wanting to have more effects/functionality then you will be best going for Adobe Premiere Pro. But for a free solution, it works great.

Christopher A.
  • Industry: Dairy
  • Used Weekly for Free Trial

Fast and professional, ShotCut makes me look good

Reviewed on 17/4/2020

I had to quickly learn to work with video for story time and craft programs our community center was going to begin posting on their Facebook page. With ShotCut I was spinning out video in just a couple of days practice and my editing became more advance each time I used it. By the looks of what it has to offer it will be a long time before I master ShotCut but I was quickly making quality programs with attractive special effects.

Pros

I appreciate the ease of operation, particularity for first time users. I began using ShotCut almost daily for two week and Every time I use the program I learn something new and it seems the abilities of ShotCut would satisfy even the seasoned professional editor.

Cons

This is the first video editor I have used, so I have nothing to compare it to. Fortunately, I chose ShotCut because of the free version without any strings attached and was lucky to have picked a program that is simple and vast with what it offers.

Zackery M.
  • Industry: Automotive

Made video editing a breeze

Reviewed on 18/2/2020

We were able to speed up the process of trouble shooting and making training videos for my employees. I am able to record a problem and edit the video to demonstrate how to effectively troubleshoot a problem.

Pros

The ease of use is what i like most about his software. What used to take me hours i can now do in a fraction of the time. The ease of importing videos directly to the timeline has really helped out.

Cons

Instructions are not the most clear as far as changing properties, and added different effects to a project

Dylan G.
  • Industry: Arts & Crafts
  • Used Other for 6-12 months

A good solution for free video editing.

Reviewed on 17/4/2020

I don't edit video often but when I tried this software it did exactly what I needed it to and worked as I expected it to function without having to learn a lot of new stuff. I'm sure it could tackle even more robust projects than the simple clips I was using it for. I highly recommend it.

Pros

As free software, this is very functional and easy to use. It has features that make converting and editing video fairly simple. It was much easier to use than other free video editing software I've tried, and has more features too.

Cons

Outputing the video to a usable file can be complicated if you don't know what you are doing. Expect to try it a few times before you get what you want.

Jauhari L.

Can't complain

Reviewed on 21/8/2019

Pros

Shotcut is a free video application that allows you to do everything that a paid video software does. I like that I can use chroma key to insert my own backgrounds into videos, something that's useful for my YouTube videos.

Cons

Shotcut is a good application however it freezes a lot even with my computer which has 16 gigs of ram.

Nicole C.
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

Video editing

Reviewed on 20/11/2019

If you are on a budget and looking for a video editor, Shotcut is for you.

Pros

Shotcut is the only video editing tool that I found that doesn't add a watermark to the video. Also has some nice filters to add to the video, or the audio.

Cons

When reviewing your edited video, it will start to run really slow and acts a bit glitchy. When finalizing the video, it turns out fine.

• Industry: Consumer Goods

Finally, a free video editor that JUST works

Reviewed on 4/8/2020

Shotcut is a great tool to get started with video editing and understanding the basics before investing in expensive software.

Pros

Shotcut is a powerful open-source video editing option that works on any OS. It has all of the features you come to expect and exports to all the formats you need (even animated gif!)

Cons

With any software, there is a learning curve, but shotcut was relatively easy to pick up. One downfall is there really isn't a market for plug-ins so it can only get you so-far.

• Industry: Mechanical or Industrial Engineering

Create Software for Creating Quality Videos

Reviewed on 25/10/2018

Pros

This software is great, you can make quality videos easily. The software is easy to use and allows you to compile videos clips, make edits to the clips, add music, and so much more.

Cons

The software was incredible at putting clips together and making a smooth transition from one clip to another, it did however take some doing to get it just right. The final product was also real choppy when previewing it, so always had to export to see what it actually looked like, which wasnt choppy at all.

Joel S.
  • Industry: Music

the best beginner editing software

Reviewed on 15/6/2019

Pros

its ease of use is amazing. since I'm an amateur editor this was surprisingly easy to learn and has all the basic features I need. the user interface is a breeze to navigate and its also easy on the eyes.

Cons

it has some limited features which can slow down your work.

Michael A.
  • Industry: Religious Institutions

Great video editing but a steep learning curve

Reviewed on 25/6/2020

We have been used to doing "once and done" v instructional videos for a while now and that has worked well. When we decided we wanted to add more (graphics, multiple cameras, etc.) we began looking for a good yet inexpensive video editing software. Shotcut kept coming in near the top. It is not as user friendly as some yet it has enough features to do exactly what we need! I have had to do quite a bit of research on how to make Shotcut do what we need it to because the tutorials in the software are not user friendly. Overall it has been the best basic yet feature rich video editing software we have come across!

Pros

Shotcut is a great basic video editing software. For a basic user it is useful yet powerful. Using the basic setup I have been able to do all of the video editing of YouTube instructional videos without a hitch. It does not have an overabundance of features which is the best feature! It is not trying to do more than advertised.

Cons

There is a steep learning curve as tutorials are not as helpful as they could be. I found myself searching YouTube for tutorials and How-To videos every time I wanted to do something new.

Sashana B.
  • Industry: Cosmetics

Great Video Editor!

Reviewed on 26/11/2020

Shotcut is a great video editor for anyone, especially persons who don't want to spend an arm and a leg on an editor. I would definitely recommend it.

Pros

This is a great video editor and it's free! I am a freelance makeup artist and I occasionally do tutorials on Instagram to promote my business. A friend of mine recommended I use Shotcut to edit my videos and I have not regretted taking her advice. Shotcut is a great video editor. It has all the basics for a video editor (cut, delete, overlay, text, zoom, etc.) and more. It has great features, a unique interface and definitely gets the job done to my satisfaction. I have not found myself spending any extra time editing than would normally be expected and only had a few hiccups. So, I would say it's pretty efficient.

Cons

Shotcut isn't the most user friendly video editor out there. While there are labels, I still found myself having to search thoroughly for the things I wanted to find and, at some points, I have had to consult Youtube videos for assistance. Also, the interface is really simple; simple to the point of looking bland, but this software definitely gets the job done. I would really love if there was a workable green screen option on Shotcut. This is a feature that I look for in video editors and while editing, I really missed it.

Steven D.

Budget friendly video editor

Reviewed on 25/6/2020

Since Microsoft got rid of Moviemaker this has been my go to video editor and has been able to meet all my needs in editing videos for church.

Pros

This video editing software supports a wide range of video types and is fairly intuitive in its layout.

Cons

While it has an option for streaming it doesn't seem to the be the most user friendly option as it has a tendency of freezing up for me.

Michael T.
  • Industry: Telecommunications

In the right hands Shotcut is as good as any video editing software

Reviewed on 9/4/2018

I use Shotcut every week, and sometimes multiple times a week to edit my drone footage. I does as well as Adobe Premiere for zero cost.

Pros

Shotcut is free, and that is an excellent feature, but what I like best about it is that being open source, it has people working on it that actually care about the project and want it to be an excellent video editor.....which it is! I use it to edit my drone footage every week.

Cons

Some of the earlier versions of Shotcut were buggy, but I have not had this issue in a very long while.

Kymahn C.
  • Industry: Computer Games
  • Used Other for 6-12 months

My Shotcut Review

Reviewed on 3/3/2020

You should definitely use shotcut and thank me later!

Pros

Shotcut is like a free version to Filmora!
Shotcut is an AMAZING VIDEO EDITING SOFTWARE!..But it is mostly for Youtube, Facebook and home video projects which is still Fire(Good)
User interface is simple and it is very easy to navigate around!
Features are fire(GOOD!)..I love the hardware support feature!
Shotcut exports videos in HD and higher quality which is awsome!

Cons

Shotcut is a bit laggy app and I think it needs performance improvements patches...But it does not occur all the time it is only like 1 out of 5 percent of the time!
And u still get amazing quality!

Brian W.

A very good alternative

Reviewed on 10/4/2019

So let's tell a story. I was asked to make a small video and I hadn't done any real video editing outside of fooling around a few times with Adobe's counterpart. I have used Microsoft's and helped people use Sony's Vegas Pro (or whatever it is called). I figured the timeline would be similar to that and everything would just work that way. I downloaded ShotCut and ambled my way through making the video I needed. I was kind of saddened at my choices of free video editors and wasn't too happy with ShotCut at the time. I downloaded some more of the free choices (some of which have large names). After using ShotCut, I couldn't wrap my head around using those programs and how they work. I went back to ShotCut and got it done in minimal time because it made sense to me. Now I am very proud of ShotCut because it makes sense to me.

Pros

It works and has a lot of capabilities. I'll explain more in my overall experience to show my joy with the software.

Cons

The learning curve is different from other video editing software. That being said, you can't beat it.

By far the best cross-platform video editor out there

Reviewed on 31/7/2018

I've been able to make stunning videos, ranging in length and complexity, on a short timeline!

Pros

Shotcut is a simple video editor. Reminiscent of the discontinued Windows Movie Maker, it has a clean, intuitive interface. Unlike most free video editors, Shotcut has advanced features such as color correction and chroma key. It also lets users rearrange the workspace to their liking.

Cons

While Shotcut works beautifully on Windows, I've had some problems using it on Linux systems. There are still bugs the developers are working to iron out. Also, while the rearranging of the interface can be a plus, it also makes it confusing for beginners. For example, the timeline doesn't appear until videos are added to it or a special button is pushed.

Andrew H.
  • Industry: Nonprofit Organisation Management

A good free, slightly advance video editing platform

Reviewed on 15/4/2019

Overall, I think Shotcut provides a good alternative to the easier-to-use iMovie...even though it's a little more difficult to use, in my opinion, it's also a bit more powerful. It cannot be compared to Adobe Premiere, however, that's a completely different animal of a much better nature!

Pros

I like the feature set of Shotcut - the way it handles color grading is reasonably nice, the way it displays audio wave forms is helpful and visually appealing, and the more you use it, the more you discover features that are not immediately obvious when you first start. It can run on a Mac or a Windows, making it a good option to consider over iMovie or some other Windows options. There's also a pretty good sized online community of users, so tutorials are accessible.

Cons

It seems to be a little bit "clunky" out of the gate. I run it on a 2015 MacBook pro, 2.7GHz, i7 with 16GB....maybe it's my machine but sometimes video playback gets slightly choppy. It isn't easy to navigate at first...lending itself to a pretty steep learning curve.

Parker Y.
  • Industry: Music

More pro than iMovie

Reviewed on 16/3/2020

Using Shotcut has been pretty good. Other than feeling as if it could be slightly easier to use, it's definitely one of the better video editors on the market.

Pros

I like that you have tons of options. Basically any kind of effect that you want to do, you can. If you're editing home movies or anything, you can do that and make it looks professional.

Cons

I think that the learning curve is pretty high but if you have some time to take to learn the features, it's pretty good. I wish that it were a little more straightforward when it comes to more "advanced" techniques like adding picture in picture or doing cutaways, but it's doable.

Robby E.
  • Industry: Entertainment

Professional Video editing made easy

Reviewed on 15/2/2019

Pros

This program allowed me to everything I needed for editing some tutorial videos for my staff. The program has lots of tutorials and they are geared for people who are not editing pros to do professional video editing. Super helpful.

Cons

Some of the tasks are not intuitive or they are buried under menus. Quick google searches solved the issue.

Maury M.
  • Industry: Higher Education
  • Company size: 5,001-10,000 Employees

Excellent for beginners

Reviewed on 1/3/2021

I needed a video editor for a class I was going to film, my first experience preparing a video. I used OBS and then used ShotCut to prepare the video. That made both the filming process and the editing. After the tutorial I could edit my video quite easily and got a good end-result.

Pros

Free, easy to install, setup and use,cost and light for a video editing software, it run smoothily in my laptop, which don't even have a dedicated graphics card.

Cons

The documentation on the software is not so intuitive, but with a good tutorial from youtube it is still rather easy to get.

Kimberly G.
  • Industry: Higher Education
  • Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

Shotcut!

Reviewed on 12/4/2019

Pros

The best thing about Shotcut is that it is free but still has the features needed to edit video projects. There are plenty of tutorials available for users to learn more when they want or need to.

Cons

The program can be intimidating at first but with time becomes more user-intuitive.

Marcelina G.

I use it when I need to create some more advanced videos

Reviewed on 10/5/2018

Pros

It's REALLY powerful and FREE video editor.
Can be a bit complicated but there's a lot of tutorials out there.

Cons

It's not easy to use at the beginning. Watch some tutorial videos and you'll be proficient in no time.