Issuu

Content creation and distribution software for designers

4.7 /5 (103 reviews) Write a Review!
4.7
Rose L.
  • Industry: Graphic Design

We Couldn't Function without Issuu

Reviewed on 29/12/2020

We love Issuu! Not only has this helped us to convert more sales, but it helps our clients display their pricing & other offerings in a way that's really unique, easy to use, and beautiful.

There's really no reason NOT to give this company a shot, as they allow you to get started with no strings (or moolah) involved.

Pros

For the last ten or so years, we've been uploading our magazine designs to Issuu so other creatives can see how our templates look and can be displayed.

It's the only site we've found that allows users to flip through a publication like an actual magazine while allowing for clickable links. You can also choose to send over your publication digitally by sending clients your Issuu url, and you can hide your publication from the public, if needed.

Without Issuu, we wouldn't have sold thousands and thousands of our magazine templates. Their product was a GAME-CHANGER!

Cons

Without paying for a premium account, ads will be displayed below your publication. It definitely wasn't a deal-breaker, as we continue to use (and love) the free version of their software.

For larger businesses, I'd suggest upgrading so clients have a seamless branding experience across all platforms.

Daniel K.
  • Used Other for 2+ years

Great interface, should be free to embed

Reviewed on 22/12/2020

As an early example of e-publication software, Issuu has helped our company share content consistently for nearly a decade.

Pros

I like the design of the reader and the ease of creating custom embedded readers most

Cons

The major con with Issuu is that embeds and other small features that used to be free are now only available to paid users, and the cost is very high. Basic functions are bundled into packages with premium services that I do not need, so I have started using other embedded readers on our website that are free of charge.

Kimara W.

Wonderful tool with features out of reach

Reviewed on 17/12/2020

Pros

Our school definitely appreciates having a home on the web to archive our publications. Professional appearance with nice sorting capabilities. Nice social sharing and easy to pull out stories for custom sharing. Well done.

Cons

There are so many features that cost. As a small private educational institution who is not wanting to use Issuu to sell, we cannot afford the $20 each month to house our materials, even though begin able to schedule to publish and allow viewers to occasionally download would be excellent. We wish there was a educational/non-profit discount. We use smugmug for exactly the same purposes with photos, and their $75/year is very doable to gain some extra features over the free version. There are commercial features we miss out on there as well, but we don't sell our photos either, so it's just right.

Jan K.

Teaching Online Publishing with Issuu

Reviewed on 17/12/2020

When students ask about doing independent study projects in page layout /magazine design, the many types of publications that can be found on Issuu have been an excellent resource and inspiration.

Pros

Issuu is amazingly simple to navigate. In particular this year when most class work has been online, I was able to teach students basic page layout using Google Docs. The pdf that students produced was easily uploaded to Issuu and the link shared with their classmates for critique. Of course they could share a Google Doc link, but everyone loved the way that Issuu allowed their work to be opened up into a double page spread that could easily be flipped forward or backward to view. They are aware that a subscription would remove ads, but as novices, it is great to become aware of possibilities for marketing and other publication.

Cons

I found this equally easy to use whether using InDesign or a simple Google Docs pdf. I can’t think of anything that I would change.

Eric L.

Good experience

Reviewed on 22/12/2020

Overall very good experience with Issuu. It has been a good plate form for my profession and work I do. Good representation and efficient layout make it appealing for users. Highly recommend.

Pros

Easy of use. Efficient layout. Graphic of the plate form.

Cons

Some options are expensive to use. As some options such as download pdf are not for free.

Kelly M.
  • Used Other for 2+ years

Issuu - Great software for nonprofits!

Reviewed on 17/12/2020

We are happy that we are able to create a digital version of our annual report without having to create a separate design file from our printed version. We love how it creates a digital copy that looks like a booklet. The quality is excellent! We love that we are able to use html to embed it on our website and can use it on social media, too.

Pros

We use this software to create a digital version of our annual report each year! It creates a beautiful digital booklet that we are proud to share with our donors and the community through our online platforms

Cons

We are happy with the software and there is nothing we would change about it for what we use it for.

Jennifer B.

HIghly recommend Issuu.

Reviewed on 22/12/2020

I am very pleased with this product/service and highly recommend it!

Pros

Issuu is free for small post, & is user friendly.

Cons

There are no things, thus far, that I do not like about this product.

Yris C.
  • Industry: Government Administration
  • Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

I love using Issuu!

Reviewed on 12/1/2021

I loved Issuu

Pros

The free access to a diverse content, lots of original publications of all kind and from so many different countries , make Issuu impresively valuable and useful. I'm surprised it's free. Thank you very much!

Cons

It's hard to handle favorites publications, remembering they are there and you were suppose to read them later. I think it could be improve from a reader-user perspective, considering I have added to my library publications comparable to the ones I have in my kindle, but they are hard to access and it's not easy to manage/delete the ones you already finished using.

• Industry: Design

Most Effective Way To Share Documents, Portfolios, Pamphlets, and Similar!

Reviewed on 23/12/2020

Being able to things such as portfolio, pamphlets, image heavy documents and the like, was incredibly easy and beneficial. I would recommend this to any of my colleagues.

Pros

It's incredibly easy to share documents with anyone and maintain a professional, quality driven aesthetic.
It also works great as an archive!

Cons

Can't really give any cons! If there was something, I would highly encourage the company to provide in depth trainings/tutorials to show how to maximize the use of the documents. How to effectively implement stories, make the document interactive, and so forth. Would be great!

Ron K.
  • Industry: Photography

Great Publishing Platform!

Reviewed on 17/12/2020

I need a short run, high quality printed product for direct marketing to a very targeted upscale audience. Issuu works for me.

Pros

The platform is easy to use. I especially like the printing and sharing options.

Cons

No major cons. Everything works as expected.

Lisa D.
  • Industry: Arts & Crafts

Great way to share catalogs/lookbooks

Reviewed on 23/12/2020

Very positive. Especially during covid, Issuu has been key to keeping our reps and customers up to date with our latest products.

Pros

Issuu is so easy to use. Reuploading is easy if you have an update or catch an error. Love the ability to have a mix of public and private publications.

Cons

I can't figure out the social media stories. They don't work as I expect, although maybe our content is atypical.

Selena H.

Issue

Reviewed on 19/12/2020

Pros

Issue allows a easy way to publish our physical magazine digitally. It is straightforward on how to use and allows for fun ways to expand on your publication for social sharing.

Cons

When we first started using Issuu we were able to embed the issue on our site as a part of the free account. After some changes, you now have to pay for that option.

Jeffery B.
  • Industry: Printing

Great software

Reviewed on 17/12/2020

I love the fact that my readers and customers can view my finished product and read it right on the website in a convenient web viewer.

Pros

I never have to wonder about what to do next because there are always helpful guides pointing the user to the next step.

Cons

Haven't found anything yet. Very user friendly.

Tasheema P.

Just what we need

Reviewed on 17/12/2020

Issuu has allowed us to provide a digital version of our publication to readers.

Pros

Ease of use and intuitive functionality.

Cons

The thing I like least is the categories my publication gets associated with.

Ferrari G.

No Issue with Issuu

Reviewed on 18/12/2020

It's pretty good. I would recommend them.

Pros

Its ease of use and sleek design. I like it.

Cons

All the new things that were free are now a paid feature.

Corinne B.
  • Used Monthly for Free Trial

Great for brand guides

Reviewed on 22/12/2020

Pros

I use Issuu for publishing standards manuals for my client's brand designs. I love being able to send them an easy link where they can view the guide in a magazine-like format vs sending them a PDF that's likely to get forgotten about or lost on their computer.

Cons

One feature I don't enjoy now is the full screen ads interrupting the click through of the guides.

Courtney S.
  • Industry: Consumer Goods
  • Used Monthly for Free Trial

Issuu is helpful

Reviewed on 17/12/2020

Pros

Issuu is helpful for me to share my catalog with customers. I’m able to save the issuu link on my phone and share when needed. This is a helpful tool.

Cons

Sometimes it can be difficult to find how to publish. The ease of using it on your phone can be difficult.

Ivan enrique R.
  • Industry: Music

Perusal Material

Reviewed on 22/12/2020

I am rather satisfied with the product.

Pros

The opportunity to upload original material for others to peruse in a personal website is good. The ability to maintain it secure could be better but is also good.

Cons

I would love it to be more affordable or have student options, or even options for super small business that don’t yet make profit.

Margot T.
  • Used Other for 2+ years

Missing the earlier days of analytics for all users

Reviewed on 17/12/2020

I will always be grateful to Issuu for providing so many of us with a straightforward way to publish our work, and make it accessible to readers all around the world.

Pros

Issuu has been the best way to share my zine and art books online. I love that people can read them as flip-through publications (and not just as a Pdf). I've had an account for about 8 years, and it has allowed my work to be seen around the world, which has greatly added to my confidence as a creator and zine maker.

Cons

I would love for the analytics to be more accessible to all users, and not just those on Premium. I had a free account for many years, until I recently purchased the Premium tier because of an end-of-year offer. I'm excited to be able to sell publications, and I'm glad I can see my analytics once again, but I still find it too expensive. It would also be great to see more features that can help with layout and the creative part (sort of like Blurb and Bookwright). I also think the Visual Stories component can be better. I'd like to be able to edit where the text goes (centered, vs left or right), whether I'm using caps or lower case, etc.

Jeffrey H.
  • Used Other for 2+ years

The best presentation of book previews

Reviewed on 22/12/2020

Being able to link to the book previews I upload gives the press a marketing and promotion advantage whereby readers can see exactly what the books look like. I am considering the plan which allows folks to buy a version and download the entire book, but I have not looked to deeply into the plan or its function.

Pros

Right now I use the free account as I have not been able to go to a paid account. But I love the product and hope to upgrade in the future. The issuu.com book previews are made from PDF files and easy to upload. They look just like the print books I design and have great features, such as being able to enlarge the document while maintaining a clear representation of the text, which is very sharp. The same is true of cover images. The entire function of the flippable document is far greater than any e-book I've seen.

Cons

I was disappointed to lose the embedding option but links are just fine to put on a website or media post. There are some minor issue with the old embed interfering with editing a page in Wordpress but it is not difficult to re-do a page.

Betsy J.
  • Industry: Design

A straightforward tool that has helped my business grow

Reviewed on 5/1/2021

Pros

I love how simple the platform is for both publishers and consumers. I'm a relatively light user, but I have never once felt the need tp even consider other platforms. It has an attractive interface and makes my job easier.

Cons

I sometimes feel the language in the UX and in tutorials and the pricing model etc is so specific to typical magazines where there is a single design distributed to the masses. I have a very different use case where I sell customer one-off magazine designs to clients and use Issuu to work through revisions and approvals with them. I also maintain my issuu profile as a way to showcase my work. I'm sure there are lots of other unique use cases too. Really, this is such a small nit, but it is the one thing I would complain about if I had to.

Amy P.
  • Industry: Printing

Great Product

Reviewed on 29/12/2020

We had to look for a new PDF hosting site a few years back when we had to switch websites and I found Issuu on a whim and we haven't looked back. It offers us an easy way to get our issues online each month while also allowing us to link back to our advertisers. It takes about an hour or two every month to get everything set up for our current issues and it's ready for viewing then and there. It's truly one of the most helpful sites in our workspace.

Pros

I love how simple it is to upload an issue, edit in some information about it, apply links to all our advertisers ads, and get it out to our readers. Everything is pretty intuitive and if a feature isn't, you can pretty much figure it out within a half hour.

Cons

I do wish it was easier to edit Stacks from the publisher homepage, but it's still an easy enough process as it currently is.

Don E.
  • Industry: Newspapers

Newspaper Readers Get the Full Experience

Reviewed on 17/12/2020

Pros

Readers who can't pick up our free weekly due to the limitations of the pandemic really appreciate seeing the digital pages in Issuu. They get to see all of our creative layouts and useful print ads that they miss out on when browsing our website.

Cons

I really want to change our user name/url. We chose the wrong one when signed up years ago and it's not an option for us to start over from scratch with a new account. Also, I want the ability to see analytics on a link that I add to multiple publications. This would be useful to show advertisers how many times their ad was clicked on during a given period of time.

Lori S.

ISSUU

Reviewed on 17/12/2020

This is a great product!

Pros

I love that ISSUU is easy to use. The platform helps me to upload a catalog for my customers, training materials for my team and it is all quick and easy!

Cons

I do not have any issues getting links I need to share.

Jose N.

2020 Review

Reviewed on 22/12/2020

Pros

It's a really easy way to get my portfolio up, along with any presentation. I've been using issuu since 2011 and I've been a fan ever since.

It's also really easy to get your booklets printed - at a way more affordable price than most places as well.

Cons

Over the years, it's become limited due to popularity and usage. There were a lot more tools and features available to free subscribers. I don't need to use it enough to have to pay for a subscription, however, for those that use it to post their portfolios when needed, some more features would be nice.