HMA

Virtual private network software for securing online traffic

4.1/5

Jeramy C.
  • Industry: Higher Education

The name says it all

Reviewed on 21/12/2018

Overall, I love this tool. In looking for a VPN, I could not help but note the name... it is pretty much what I want to use a VPN for when I am working remotely. I travel a lot and work online, so I need to be able to access company networks and want to ensure that I am safe personally and professionally. HMA has been easy to use and the one issue I had was resolved in short order with an email. I have been a user for about a year and have another year on my subscription, and I anticipate renewing when my subscription is up.

Pros

Very easy to use and has apps and software fo all platforms. Setup takes just a couple of minutes, and the tool will turn on when needed and remain off when not. HMA has been very stable and reliable, and I enjoy being able to work from any site remotely without the worry of wondering how is accessing my system or seeing my work projects.

Cons

The one challenge that I have is in regard to the iPhone and Mac software; may be a challenge on all. When accessing the internet in some public locations, such as Starbucks, you must first select the network then agree to the terms to use the wifi. The challenge is that HMA detects and turns on, and then the connection fails a causes some issues in connecting. I have learned that when I access one of these networks, I have to dosconnect from HMA, agree to the terms, then turn on HMA. The same issue occurs on my iPhone, and may happen more often as I access dofferent networks throughout the week. While I have come to know how to resolve, it can be annoying sometimes with delays in access and having to occasionally restart.

Response from Privax

Hello,

Thank you for your input.

Please allow us to explain that the issue with public wi-fis, such as cafes, Universities, Libereies, etc.. is not on the VPN end (not just our VPN but in general) . The thing is that their SYS admins block VPN technology, and there is no much that could be done on our end.

If you would like to know more about this, please contact us here https://goo.gl/JUYit9 we'll be glad to answer your queries.

Douglas C.

Stay Hidden in Plain Sight!

Reviewed on 10/6/2020

HideMyAss allows me to anonymously surf the World Wide Web with the confidence of knowing that I am not being tracked and pursued by hackers or even advertisers looking to know my location.

Pros

You can surf the web with total anonymity and confidence that you're not be tracked and pursued with every click of the mouse.

Cons

During my use of HideMyAss I have found nothing to dislike about this product or that I believe needs improvement.

Mohammad T.
  • Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

HideMyAss review

Reviewed on 6/2/2020

Overall this is a great app that I often use and highly recommend

Pros

It offers access to the sites that are blocked and lets access them seamlessly. It offers a great user experience and is easy to install

Cons

It does not work with Firewall and I have seen it become dysfunctional when a firewall is installed between the servers

Response from Privax

Hi Mohammad,

Thank you so much for a great review. We're especially glad that you are our long time user, so we wanted to let you know that we appreciate your loyalty.
Feel free to contact our support directly https://bit.ly/2WB48tC for the Firewall issue, as our tech guys would be very keen to find a possible solution.

Dragi P.

Easy and safe to use

Reviewed on 28/3/2018

Pros

I really like this app it's great for safe browsing the internet, I really like because its so fast in connecting in other servers, and really lightweight application.

Cons

There is not much that is bad on this software, but when i use it on my Android device sometimes when i open it the app crashes.

• Industry: Outsourcing/Offshoring
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

The best VPN I have ever used.

Reviewed on 30/12/2019

HMA is one of the best VPN that I have ever used, I have used it for my personal purposes and got very good result. Very fast and effective VPN. Overall I was satisfied about their service.

Pros

HMA is a very effective and strong VPN provider that you can use it to hide your original IP address. HMA has very strong encryption system and they are not log down your IP addresses and history. They has 190+ countries server to connect. Allows to connect up to five devices simultaneously and very secure browsing. Pricing is not too costly.

Cons

Sometimes taking long time to connect, some servers are very slow and not good. You can face poor consistency of connection if you have a poor internet signal.

Response from Privax

Hello,

Thank you so much for reviewing our VPN with such high notes and especially for your comment about HMA being one of the best VPNs you've ever used, that means a lot to us. We will take note of the Cons as there is always room for improvement and hopefully get to have the 5 stars rate from you in your future reviews.

Donald R.
  • Used Daily for Free Trial

Best name ever

Reviewed on 21/1/2019

Pros

Start with the name, its the BEST. It delivers as advertised, was able to safely and securely browse confidential sites with confidence

Cons

There are no cons for this software, I was pleasantly surprised and will continue past trial

Response from Privax

Thank you for your comment!
Having great, happy customers like you is the best reason for us to improve our services and deliver awesome VPN to you.

Enjoy using our service and and feel free to contact us if you happen to have any questions or if you ever need any help.

• Industry: Publishing

In cognito browsing.

Reviewed on 3/5/2018

Pros

It helps keep my risky browsing habits private from hackers, roommates, and employers. It's easy to set up, and the customer service is awesome!

Cons

At times, load times can extend beyond normal length. The software's instability leads to crashes and lag.

Daniel S.

Easy to use, but not reliable

Reviewed on 29/3/2018

Pros

This VPN software gets the task done easily and is pretty easy to setup. The learning curve of use is low.

Cons

Sometimes this VPN would not work correctly or my connection would become slow. I do not trust this software as much as other VPNs.

Usamedin N.

Used it to work remotely for a software company that had the software available only in some...

Reviewed on 6/2/2018

Pros

I like the most that is extremely easy to use, the selection of country and connecting to it its pretty straight forward, i also like that it has most of the countries in the world and of course the last thing is that its color design are very pleasing

Cons

I don't like that its not stable sometimes it says that am connected but really its not, second thing is that if i leave my laptop on standby for half an hour ( am using macOS) when i turn it on again the connection to internet its lost and i have to restart.

Rune E.
  • Used for 1-5 months

VPN, with a good price

Reviewed on 12/5/2020

I have used it for a little under six months just recently. It worked as it should and allowed me to use VPN functions like surfing from another IP. I am in Norway, but I could surf like I was in USA. Highly recommend it.

Pros

I like that HMA is a working tech without much hazzle. I set it up for a project and it was a little back and forth during installation but after that it simply worked.

Cons

The pop ups are annoying, that is that. When you have a software, you want it to take the least out of your business computers resources, and also not be annoying, right... So when you have a pop-up it is disturbing for your work, but it also takes a bit of power from your system, not a whole lot. But it is un-needed.

Monday A.
  • Industry: Writing & Editing

One of the best VPN I have used

Reviewed on 26/11/2018

HideMyAss is good and for business wise it will be one of the best because of multiple servers and one license can be used on multiple computers and mobile gadget.

Pros

HideMyAss is one of the best VPN I have used and really efficient because of the several and multiple servers the have. They have over 10,000 servers and that gives me the choice to select any server location that I wish to use. It is equally cheap compared to other VPN services. I will recommend this VPN service to any person who is looking for a cheap VPN service with multiple location and their customer service is very fast and efficient and always respond to any inquiries.

Cons

HideMyAss is good but I discovered that some of their servers are not really good. It is either they are blacklisted or their DNS will be showing that of your country which you resides and that is not suppose to be so. Unless you contact their customer care before they will fix it. They should try and check on their servers before they give it out to the public for use.

Response from Privax

Thank you for your comment, we're happy to know you are content with our service, your satisfaction is our top-most priority.

When it comes to DNS issue that you describe, we'd be glad to help you with it, just contact us here please https://goo.gl/JUYit9 we'll do all we can to resolve the issue.

Melanie A.
  • Industry: Publishing

Don't Let'em Find You

Reviewed on 18/2/2020

I really enjoy all of the options you get with HMA. It saves you time and worry. I won't go back to regular internet surfing. HMA has spoiled me.

Pros

HMA is a terrific VPN. Its easy to use program allows you to be safe from prying eyes. This program allows you to be safe whether you are streaming television shows or completing a work assignment. You can access restricted sites as well as your favorite ones. You;ll never have to guess about online safety again.

Cons

The free use of this VPN will keep it very busy. It will slow tremendously. You will have to check the different countries you travel to. Their are many that don't allow VPN use.

Response from Privax

Hi Melanie,

Thank you for your great review. Keeping you safe and private online is our top priority, so it means a lot to us that we have spoiled you in that sense :)
There are ofcourse some countries that have internet restrictions and this may of course affect the use of our VPN, but our customer support is always there to find a possible workaround. Feel free to get in touch anytime this restrictions affect your use of our service.

Carolyn Y.
  • Industry: Arts & Crafts
  • Used for 2+ years

Great for finding proxy servers

Reviewed on 16/7/2019

Pros

So ok, I will admit it... I use this software for gaming. I use it to vote for myself in a game so I can get greater rewards... cheating? yes... I know it... But to review the software, its great! It gives you many choices of proxy servers to hide behind, and they are seamless. theres no lag when on a proxy, and it works wonderfully. Definitely recommend.

Cons

Not as many American proxys as I'd like to see.

Response from Privax

Hello,

Thank you for your comment.

We're understand you would prefer even more US servers, however, please mind we have them more than any other provider.

To find a complete list of our server locations, please follow this link: https://www.hidemyass.com/servers

one of the securest and fastest VPN on the market

Reviewed on 22/4/2020

We came from having some security problems with other VPN providers and HideMyAss solved them all.

Pros

For work, we need different VPN running at the same time, and after using lots of different providers, HideMyAss has become our go-to. It is fast, reliable, secure, user friendly and very easy to install

Cons

Pricing is not very competitive, but giving that it is one of the best VPNs of the market, it is way worth it.

Response from Privax

Hello,

Thank you very much for such a great review! Providing a secure internet traffic for you and keeping you safe online is what we strive for, so we really appreciate your words and it feels great to have solved issues you had with other providers. Hope you'll keep enjoying HMA, as we're happy to have you as our customer :)

• Industry: Higher Education

Works better in some countries than others, but great customer service

Reviewed on 16/8/2018

Not good for bypassing the firewall in China, but otherwise it's worth considering.

Pros

Straightforward to install and use. It has a free trial, which is better than some other VPNs which only offer a one-month money back guarantee.

When it didn't work for me, the customer service was prompt to reply my refund request and I got my money back in 2 day.

Cons

Got HideMyAss to access my email and other blocked sites on my work trip to Mainland China, but it was so slow it was barely usable. Works fine in Hong Kong but unfortunately I didn't need it there. Many VPNs that works well elsewhere doesn't work in China so it wasn't too surprising.

Steven H.

Ace VPN provider .

Reviewed on 13/6/2018

Pros

HideMyAss has a rich choice of VPNs .Most of the time they work great and the connection is fast .It helps keep your browsing private ,which becomes more and more necessary .

Cons

They previously had free options ,which are no longer available .As for recently I have also noticed an increase of IPs that cannot access https sites ,causing inconvenience .

Claire D.
  • Used for 1+ year

Serviceable VPN

Reviewed on 20/9/2018

Pros

HideMyAss has a rich variety of addresses ,from almost any imaginable location .This enables you to circumvent any potential location restrictions and also helps you stay protected online .

Cons

Not as many https options as I would like and also fairly pricey ,compared to similar products.

Response from Privax

Thank you for your feedback.

We'd be glad to help you with any issue, please feel free to contact us here https://goo.gl/JUYit9

Monisha R.

Great assist to preview advertising in various geographical locations

Reviewed on 23/6/2020

Great solution that's helped me troubleshoot a lot of different business problems for customers of my company.

Pros

Excellent in it's ease of use, it's unobtrusive and makes a technical process very user-friendly to those with limited technical backgrounds, compared to other solutions. Engaging animations are a cherry on top.

Cons

It can be easy to forget that it's running in the background if you forget to exit/turn it off, which can run up data usage quickly.

It would be great if there were more target locations available! They are somewhat limited internationally, while my use-case often requires very specific location targeting.

Hasan md R.
  • Industry: Business Supplies & Equipment

HMA - One of the best VPNs

Reviewed on 7/8/2021

I do use HMA for having uninterrupted internet connection with more security features. As a business, we need to deal with confidential data and HMA serves to keep the data safe.

Pros

HMA VPN is quite easy to use and highly affordable to everyone. The security, access control and stability of the connection are the most prominent features of HMA. Usability in computer and handset ensures value for money.

Cons

This software doesn't have any improvement areas as it serves my purpose very successfully.

Desmond N.

HMA is fast and secure

Reviewed on 20/8/2018

My overall experience with HMA has been good especially in the diversity of its VPN server network.

Pros

HMA is very fast and secure and I can say that HideMyAss is about the best VPN out there. It is cost effective compared to a lot of VPN software and services out there.

It has servers in almost all the countries of the world and I find this very convenient for my work and its servers are fast.

The fact that it has several server options for every country makes it even more attractive.

The setup is also easy and seamless.

You can use it on different types of devices too.

It also has secure OPenVPN encryption and no ip leaks.

Cons

The Windows client interface may be a little confusing for new users especially in selecting servers.

I hated that HMA does nt have IPv6 protection and support sometimes cannot answer more technical questions.

Tara S.

Excellent VPN for the price

Reviewed on 5/10/2018

Pros

price, functionality, ease of use, user interface and customer service. Masks your internet signatures really well

Cons

auto renewal, there is free VPN's out there that save you money

Response from Privax

Hello,

Thank you for your review. It is a great compliment to us!
Feel free to check out our newest version that has new features.
Should you need any help, feel free to contact us here https://goo.gl/JUYit9 we'll be glad to assist you.

Phil H.

Worked brilliantly for me for a couple of years but struggled to keep up with blockers

Reviewed on 3/4/2018

Pros

HMA was very easy to set up and use and I used it happily for a number of years. Always found their support very responsive, patient and helpful. Used across devices successfully.

Cons

As HULU and Netflix and others got better at blocking VPNs, I found that HMA struggled to keep up and ahead. I eventually found another VPN that was able to immediately respond and changed.

Luke S.
  • Industry: Transportation/Trucking/Railroad

Great VPN at Great Price

Reviewed on 4/12/2018

Pros

We have been using Hide my Ass for years and the price to value rating is unbeatable

Cons

They could add some more cities to the current ones.

Response from Privax

Thank you for your comment,your opinion s very important to us.
When it comes to the cities that we're missing, could you please share with us which cities would you need. Just drop an email to us here https://goo.gl/JUYit9

Solid VPN

Reviewed on 28/12/2020

Though there may be some better VPNs, I personally find this one to be functional and practical enough to warrant at the very least a one-time trial.

Pros

Fairly easy to set up and start using. Grants access to certain blocked websites, but most importantly, protects one’s priceless anonymity.

Cons

I’ve noticed the connection being slower at times, though that might have to do with different servers. The pricing is perhaps a bit higher than the competing VPNs, though nothing off-putting.

Sirma A.

Easy ,good VPN provider

Reviewed on 23/9/2018

Pros

I like that HideMyAss makes my web browsing for both work and personal stuff more secure and fairly anonymous .They do the job they set out to do .

Cons

The pricing range should be reevaluated if they want to remain competitive .

Response from Privax

Thank you for your input.

We have discounts from time to time, as we had on Cyber week.

We hope to have them soon for Holidays.