Adobe Audition

Audio editing software for accelerating production workflows

4.4/5
4.6/5
4.1/5
4.2/5

• Industry: Higher Education
  • Company size: 5,001-10,000 Employees

Adobe Audition Leads the Field

Reviewed on 17/2/2022

Pros

I have been using Adobe Audition (and its predecessor incarnation, Cool Edit Pro) for decades at this point. I have used it to record half a dozen indie rock albums, make music mixes for radio programs, and record multiple podcast episodes. Adobe Audition can transform anyone's computer into a powerful, fully featured recording, mixing, and mastering studio. It is easy to use and has all of the features industry professionals expect: waveform editing, waveform manipulation, multitrack recording and mixing, mastering filters, and more. All of these come wrapped in a fairly easy to learn, easy to use palletized Adobe format. What's more, Audition's synergies with other software (both within the Adobe family and through plugins) means that users are never working in a "walled garden."

Cons

Over my two decades using multiple versions of Adobe Audition, I have found little that I don't like. In the early days, I encountered some stability and performance issues with the software, but those don't seem to affect the most recent versions (from the past decade). I could nitpick and wish that some functionality present in plugins was in-built into the software, but that is obviated by the fact that plugins are easy to find and integrate. Probably my biggest gripe with the current iteration of Adobe Audition is its shift to a subscription, software-as-service model. This expense can put this powerful software out of reach for many aspiring recording engineers.

Reasons for Switching to Adobe Audition

In looking to move on from an older version of the Adobe Audition, I considered free options like Garageband and Audacity. While those look like capable pieces of software, my familiarity with Adobe Audition, along with the sheer depth and power of its features made the choice easy.

Quite suitable for occasional audio solutions

Reviewed on 8/6/2022

Pros

As part of the Adobe Creative Suit applications, Audition offers most of the common audio tools needed for casual recording sessions or editing audio files.

Cons

For more complex work in the audio field with special plug-ins, other software programs are recommended, as Audition is more suitable for basic work.

How powerful is Adobe Audition for audio editing?

Reviewed on 23/6/2022

At the beginning of my learning of Adobe Audition, I felt difficult to learn it and how to apply effects, but after practice and learning, it became an integral part of the program

Pros

If you upload audio clips to podcasts or YouTube clips, you should care about the audio quality, here I must remind you of Adobe Audition.
Adobe Audition helped me a lot with this, delivering high quality audio with a very professional fidelity.
Adobe Audition stands out from all the other audio programs because it combines all the features in one program, which is such a nice thing that you don't need to go from one program to another.
I liked the clip selection feature, which makes it easy to display the correct frame to the user in order to make accurate audio edits.
I loved the library of audio and effects that Adobe Audition has such as removing noise and background noise, adding echo and FFT filters to enhance and increase audio quality, waveform editing, waveform processing and much more.
A very powerful feature is to apply each feature individually, so that if you want to delete or modify a feature you have applied before, you do not need to re-work again, but there is a box for the effects and filters you used that you can control.

Cons

Just as there are many positives in it, I must mention the negatives that I experienced.
Adobe Audition has a difficult user interface, you will feel confused when using it for the first time and you need time to learn and master the effects and how to apply them, because the program is not intended for beginners in the world of audio production

Manase M.
  • Industry: Music

Adobe is king at muisc production... Trust me you don't want to miss

Reviewed on 20/2/2021

It's a great software for basic music production and for beginner level... You can still achieve pro work with adobe audition too.

Pros

Low latency in Live mode for podcast and the easy multitrack layout. The tools are just amazingly easy to understand. The mixer section has good send functionality.

Cons

Nothing except the display design. I feel more should be done on giving a pleasing design rather look.

Jacob G.
  • Industry: Entertainment

Audition Is My Go To For Podcast Editing

Reviewed on 29/12/2021

Pros

Adobe Audition has incredible presets and effects that make editing so easy. Plus, learning the shortcuts and the ability to create your own shortcuts, makes editing quick.

Cons

The price. $20 feels pretty steep. I wish there was an option to buy the software outright and then pay an upgrade fee for newer versions.

Robert M.

A DAW for the Adobe devotee

Reviewed on 10/2/2021

Audition is a great addition to your suite of Adobe apps.

Pros

Audition is a stable DAW and the standard DSP is all good quality, particularly the time based processors.

Cons

It takes quite a while to get used to using and the structure isn't as intuitive as other audio sequencers. Also, it is only audio as full MIDI sequencing isn't yet supported.

REAPER

Reasons for Switching to Adobe Audition

Audition came packaged with Adobe CC and so there was a price advantage. There's less of a learning curve with Audition too.
Davide I.

The reference for audio editiing

Reviewed on 5/5/2022

I can edit my radio show every time i need.

Pros

Really complete software for everyone who are looking for a small edit or big one.

Cons

It is hard to use effects if you are a beginner.

Mostafa M.
  • Industry: Animation

Adobe audition review

Reviewed on 30/5/2022

All audio and video problems like noise reduction

Pros

I can say that it is the best and most powerful voice editing program that I have used in my life. I did not find a better alternative than it, but it is expensive

Cons

Yes the software is very expensive the company should make good offers for users

Anthony R.
  • Industry: Computer Hardware

Plenty of features, tough to master but excellent quality audio

Reviewed on 19/6/2022

Overall my experience is a positive one, it allows me to quickly re-master pre-recorded tracks, mix music with them and it integrates well with Adobe Rush.

Pros

The software is feature-rich and offers me all the right tools to edit and mix audio for our company podcast and marketing videos. Being an industry-standard means that there is plenty of community help if you get stuck or just want to increase your knowledge.

Cons

It is Adobe, which means that it carries a price tag, most functionality could probably be found in cheaper (maybe even free) software.

I will tell you where you will be heading in audio engineering .

Reviewed on 12/3/2022

I used it after a while of using Adobe Premiere because I needed effects on the sound and this is about 4 years of using it .

Pros

After putting a lot of effort into video editing in adding effects and other plugins, we have to finish the video with an audio engineering that is very beautiful , , so that the listener is impressed by the beauty and clarity of the sound, and here I must mention the wonderful program, which is Adobe Audition.
The program allows you to add a myriad of effects to the sound, let me mention a few of them, which are an integral part of the program , add echo to the voice, remove the noise as well, and manipulate it by changing the woman's voice to the man's voice and vice versa .
It's true that most video editors have some features that let you engineer the audio, but
Let me be honest with you, in life you can not do without your groove, as with Adobe Audition,
It's hard to do without him, especially in the small details .
It is difficult to find the power in video editing and audio engineering at the same time, and you will be the main reference for Adobe Audition specialized in this matter.

Cons

It is difficult at first to get used to the user interface until you master it over time, also find the effects you want.
But whatever we do every day will become something unforgettable in this life .

Samuel L.
  • Industry: Professional Training & Coaching

Simple, intuitive and does what its supposed to.

Reviewed on 6/2/2021

17 years using this for audio production for radio and podcasts. I have thought it in college and students love it once they get used to it. It is simply a genius piece of software and you can transform audio that is of low quality with a few tweaks here and there.

Pros

Whether you are looking for a simple audio edit or a complex multitrack session Adobe Audition has it all. I've been using this since it was called Cool Edit Pro in 2004 and it only gets better with age. Once you get part the overwhelming feature rich UX you are going to love this software.

Cons

It does have quite an extensive amount of features and therefore it can have quite a steep learning curve. Probably not the best software for the none techie who isn't intimidated by loads of buttons and options. Apart from this, I love Audition.

Pro Tools

Reasons for Choosing Adobe Audition

Lacking in features and the UX seemed kind of outdated at the time.

Reasons for Switching to Adobe Audition

It was free and more suited to the audio editing environment, whilst Pro Tools is better for music production, in my humble opinion.
Conor A.

A Great Solution for Audio Technicians and Video Editors Alike...

Reviewed on 22/2/2022

Using Adobe Audtion has been a welcome experience when it comes to editing videos and managing audio for such videos - moving over from other software solutions, I love how 'un-clunky' Audition is. Full intergration for Adobe libraries make seamless editing when switch between software.

Pros

I love that the software, as with most of Adobe's solutions are extremely intuitive and simple to use.

Being able to sync audio along to video tracks makes for super smooth editing, especially when editing testimonials & interviews.

Cons

Coming from an video editing standpoint, some keyboard shortcuts were originally against what I intuitively knew from NLE video solutions, but this is totally personal preference and it is great that this can be completely customised.

Alain jove R.
  • Industry: Telecommunications
  • Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

The Ultimate in Audio Manipulation

Reviewed on 6/1/2021

Overall, this is a great multimedia tool to provide you excellent studio quality sound. And above all, it is worth every dime that you spend to achieve the projects that pros only can. But not anymore, beginners alike can have that same output with a few hours of getting to know this software's full potential.

Pros

I like Adobe Auditions for its professional looking interface and easy to understand functionalities. I've used a few comparable products already and nothing beats its interface, which even a beginner can digest right away. Although it takes time to 'unlock' the other tricks hidden in this gem of a software, it's always worth the time sitting down and exploring it. This is seamless in handling multiple tracks in one project which makes you very pleased avoiding lag time especially on a little slower computers. It also renders exports faster compared to other software.

I was able to test briefly Logic Pro X and Pro Tools but got hooked to this instead. And I'm glad I made the right choice because I'm working a lot of audio editing for my videos and it has proven to be the most intuitive tool for me, which is reinforced by the powerful plugins that this baby can provide.

Cons

Like most high end software in the multimedia category, this demands high memory and CPU power, to provide you that seamless experience. So far that is the only thing I noticed and haven't encountered any bugs in the software.

Jason F.
  • Industry: Design

A great tool for podcasters

Reviewed on 14/5/2021

I've used Audition for the past 5 years to record and produce my podcast, Feasting on Design. During that time, the ability to record, edit, and master audio files have come a long way. By no means am I an expert in every facet of Audition, but I've been able to master the basics of what I need to do to produce the podcast.

Pros

The ability to record, edit, correct sound, and gain issues has made my life as a podcaster so much easier. I'm able to produce my podcast and master it using a single platform. The audio editing tools alone are worth the price, but when you add in noise reduction, and several other features you have a powerhouse of a program that is capable of so much more than I could ever dream of.

Cons

There can be a steep learning curve if you aren't familiar with non-linear editing. Learning to utilize the tools that I needed required a bit of research. It would be nice if Adobe set up a tutorial library geared toward different users from hobbyists to pro-level users.

Matt B.
  • Industry: Religious Institutions

Top Tier Asset for Audio Production

Reviewed on 13/2/2021

Adobe Audition has taken me leaps and bounds beyond what I knew was possible to edit audio & video audio. What would have taken me hours to do manually with trial and error, under the proper settings reduces that time to minutes. The ability to remember and create presets for specific projects and workflows now saves me so much time as I support our areas with their audio needs as well as allows a one-person team to still offer creative elements within a possible timeframe.

Pros

In my context, I mainly use Adobe Audition to process audio from video for final projects. I would say one of the best tools I utilize has been the remix function for our context of needing to create a backing track to a specific file. Audition is incredible in that you can choose your needed length and it will remix the file to +/- 5 seconds - this has been huge in our production flow. Previously I would have to manually find cuts and paste and work for 15-20 minutes which now is handled in under 30 seconds!

Cons

There was a large learning curve, because the software is so robust. At first it was overwhelming - I knew it was capable of but often did not know the terms for specific settings. I would not fully say this is a negative, but rather an opportunity to be aware for those who do not have a background in audio. It can be challenging to find the setting buried in the list of options.

Curry M.
  • Company size: 501-1,000 Employees
  • Used for 2+ years

Great option for those looking to learn more.

Reviewed on 17/2/2021

As a Videographer who needs to learn to use sound editing as a tool, but doesn't have the education of a Sound Engineer, this is a fantastic software only limited by what you know. I've heard many say that Logic is a much better option, or even Pro Tools, but it's hard to argue with Audition's functionality when accessible through the Creative Cloud. I would typically much rather try to resolve any audio issues or projects within Premiere Pro, but there are certain limitations and details missing that are an absolute need, that Audition does have. Give it a shot and you won't be disappointed.

Pros

You can pretty much do anything sound related. Recording options, tons of compressions and EQ templates and effects to get you started which are endlessly customizable. Far beyond my ability is isolating frequencies or removing them, but I have seen it done. The creativity also knows no bounds, as through Audition I was able to recreate the sound effect of a phone conversation. It's very visually appealing as well, great use of color and the interface is overwhelming, yet it exudes professionalism.

Cons

As is the issue with all Adobe software, there is a steep learning curve. Half the battle is knowing the tools there are to apply, but the other half is knowing where they are in the program. It could more than likely be better laid out to in a more user-friendly manner so the overwhelming factor decreases. This is where other programs like Logic excel.

Irfan K.
  • Industry: Broadcast Media

Awesome Software for Audio Production

Reviewed on 8/5/2021

Overall, it has been a great experience. The pros overcome the cons and I love the software. I have been using it more almost 14 years now.

Pros

Noise reduction and mastering the audio are the best features that I have discovered in Adobe Audition. I work with field audios that are associated with a lot of noise most of the time. Audition comes in handy to remove the background noises and cleaning the audio for using live on the radio. There are other options that I use such as improving the audio by using different effects. My favorites are vocal enhancer, bass booster, batch rendering, and equalizers.

Cons

The multi-track module is not as good as other software like Sony Vegas. I think the multi-track sessions can use some improvement.

Forrest K.
  • Industry: Broadcast Media

Do It!

Reviewed on 31/8/2021

If I have any issues I go to the Adobe website faqs or Youtube for advice.

Pros

Adobe Audition is the premiere audio editing software. From expert to the beginner it allows you to use it to do simple editing to complicated multi-layered tracks.

Cons

The cost can be a bit high when your first learning but it will pay off as you become more of an expert.

Ryan H.
  • Industry: Publishing

Not What it Used to Be

Reviewed on 12/7/2021

If I had one word to describe today's Adobe Audition, it would be "Disappointing." Thanks for stripping it down and increasing my workload and overhead.

Pros

The integration of Adobe products has improved workflow. I like moving seamlessly in and out of Premiere Pro.

Cons

Adobe's habit of dropping key features like dynamic EQ or pitch correction has left us with a bare bones UI that requires too many expensive plug-ins to make it useful.

Logic Pro

Reasons for Switching to Adobe Audition

I use Audition because of the workflow integration with Premiere. But I am preparing to switch to Logic Pro and Final Cut. This means that I'll have to eat humble pie with all the friends whom I told to stick with Audition and Premiere two years ago.
Ghazal Z.

Adobe Audition is Great for Audio Recording

Reviewed on 10/8/2021

It plays a major role in my earning. I live for doing voice-overs and Adobe Audition has been a great help. I'm a radio jockey and I often need to record my voice and send it to the production team. I have set up Adobe Audition with my Yeti microphone and I can easily record anytime. There are only a couple of times that I faced trouble but mostly it was my own fault...not a very tech-savvy person. lol.

Pros

It helps me record professional voiceovers for Tv and radio. I have done a lot of audio work in Audition. Be it a Vo for ads, documentaries, or other promotional campaigns, Adobe Audition provides excellent support. You can record the audio, do noise reduction and sometimes you also need to manipulate your voice for a given situation. I like the telephone effect on my voice that I have used many times. Other than that, I also use other effects to make my voice bassy and sound cooler.

Cons

The audio hardware controls are complicated. I had a hard time figuring out the line-in and setting up my microphone. There should be some automatic way to connect external devices to Adobe Audition.

Dan C.
  • Industry: Motion Pictures & Film
  • Used for 2+ years

Audition's greatest strength is integration with other CC products

Reviewed on 22/5/2021

Audition is not the best overall DAW for film/tv, but it is powerful enough to get the job done in the interconnected Audio Creative Cloud environment.

Pros

Audition has grown as a DAW in the years that it has been around. Its interface has held steady, while it has added and refined features. Most common audio tasks are easily accomplished, and there's a nice blend of templates and customization for many features.
Easily, the best thing about Audition is its ease in round-tripping from other CC applications, especially Premiere. Premiere has an okay set of audio tools, but not the depth of Audition. Dynamic linking makes it incredibly easy to open up working items directly from Premiere into Audition, and work on the two in tandem. Audition's file management is also helpful in this process, so that original audio files are not overwritten in the process.

Cons

Many have noted this, but Audition does not quite have the depth or industry penetration as Pro Tools. That often means that working between the two different programs can add layers of complexity.

Zach Y.
  • Industry: Media Production

Powerful Audio Editing for Pros!!

Reviewed on 17/2/2021

Audition is powerful, versatile, and delivers professional grade quality. It has a variety of features that are native to the program, but also has a vast array of plugins available that only enhance the process. Plus, the ability to dynamically link edited audio assets directly into our video timelines in Premiere is invaluable to our workflow. Pair this with Adobe's world-class customer support, and this program is our company's no-brainer, go-to choice for Audio Editing software. Highly recommend!!

Pros

Cons

The only downside to Audition is the learning curve for interacting with its many many tools. However, if one is at least vaguely familiar with the Adobe family, this will lessen the learning curve some since it is a member of the Adobe Creative Suite Family.

Hothifa H.
  • Industry: Civil Engineering

Me experience with Adobe Audition

Reviewed on 25/4/2022

I do not think that there are negative things in this program or missing something important because it is actually a professional program for everyone who wants to produce a wonderful work

Pros

What I liked and really impressed me the most is the artificial intelligence that distinguishes this program in many features such as mixing sounds, mastering and sound recording, which brings you the work in the way you want and that you wish without requiring a lot of training to use it

Chineke D.

Best Audio Manipilator

Reviewed on 29/6/2021

I use Audition to edit audios I use in my project works, both for Adobe Premiere Pro and After Effects. It works quite easy for me since I just click from inside any of the other adobe software to edit the audio in Audition, and once I save the changes in Audition, it reflects in the original location. I also use it to do some audio mix and add effects to the audio. More like an extended and more professional version of the audio editing panel inside Adobe Premiere Pro. Any sort of audio manipulation I intend to do, Adobe Audition is the perfect solution

Pros

As an Adobe fan, I love the fact that it integrates well with other Adobe software I use. The interface is beautiful, all effects are well segmented for easy navigation. The flexibility it gives is quite adorable, it means it's useful for both novices and professionals alike.

Cons

The major problem we have with Adobe is the expensiveness of its products. It would also seem a little too technical for newbies to the software, but like every other Adobe software, practice and more practice helps to get used to it.

Tony R.
  • Industry: Entertainment

Adobe Audition passes the Audition!!

Reviewed on 10/6/2021

Audition solves the problem of "time". Who doesn't want to save time?! Import my files, quickly work out my arrangements, cut and paste at will, add plug-ins seamlessly... what more could you ask for!?!?

Pros

I love the ability to import audio tracks from my DAW and then mix in Audition. The process is seamless and much easier than staying in my DAW. I also use Audition for theater productions. I load up audio tracks and set queues which I can then access just by pressing a number and hit play. It's a great way to have a complete theatrical soundtrack at your fingertips and then be able to play it live.

Cons

Literally nothing. There is just nothing to complain about with this software. I've had it forever and I'll use it forever. Make it cheaper? :)