2,530 reviews

Patriot Payroll

Patriot Software helps you keep your time and money!

4.8 /5 (2530 reviews) Write a Review!
4.7
4.7
2,530 reviews
Benjamin B.

Game Changer For Us

Reviewed on 12/1/2021

Pros

We like that we can white label the product. I am big in branding, so beng able to have this as white label, for me, is excellent. The software is easy to use, easy to onboard. The portal works great. We charge our customers, so being a royalty member with multiple clients, I get a good rate, and can always make money doing payroll. Also, it is residual, I always make the difference between what I charge and what I pay. They more clients I get, the less I pay, so the more i make

Cons

There are some features that I wish they had. Auto running payroll for companies that everyone is on salary. Also for sending out 401k, pension, etc, if they did that for us

Steve S.
Industry: Business Supplies & Equipment

Patriot Payroll, Perfect for small business's

Used Other for 2+ years
Reviewed on 5/1/2021

Anyting you need to do for payroll, taxes, tax filing, W2's etc, it's all there. At the end of the year, print out your payroll and tax papers, give them to your tax preparer and your done. Literally in 10 minutes (including print time) your paperwork is done. They do it all for you!

Pros

When joining Patriot Payroll, I was sceptical about the cost and functionality. I have used 3 "big name" companies, and was always in disagreement about their products, pricing and what they actually did. When you need payroll, it was one cost, then if you needed reports, tax payments, and many other things, the costs just kept going up. Those costs avergaed $150 a month. Now I see why they are multi million dollar companies. As a small business owner, the bottom line is very thin and we always have to be aware in the cost for any service. When I started Patriot Payroll, I was eager to see if they in fact were a true value company, and in the first 6 months, it paid for itself. I am super happy as a customer.

For one low price, they help you set-up your employee base, salaries or hourly wages, tax numbers, unemployment taxes and more. When you run a payroll, it really only takes me 3 minutes to complete one. Then when the taxes are paid, Patriot also does that and more. They process and send out my quarterly papers and pay all my taxes after linking to my bank. If you need any reports, they are at your fingertips. No longer paying another company extra when you need to get a duplicate employee payroll report. If your stuck and have no where to go, you call their customer service line or email them and within minutes you have your answer.

I have referred many people to this company and for good reason. They are great! The name says it all. Patriot.

Cons

None that I can think of, and after many years of using, that's awesome!

Diana C.
Industry: Education Management

Accessible staff to help you get up & running/for ongoing support & very EASY to use.

Used Other for 6-12 months
Reviewed on 24/9/2020

I lost my payroll person when covid hit. I was stressed about this because finding anyone to take on more business when lockdown happened wasn't going to happen. Something about that virus caused a vast majority of people to stop working altogether, so it was a stressful time for me. Patriot software personnel did not stop working though. They were right there to ease that stress and keep my business up and running. They have been a blessing to me, and to my staff who have not stopped working.

Had they not been there I probably would have closed since I find it very important for my payroll to be accurate. I can run payroll by hand in a pinch but I am not a bookkeeper so it's stressful and risky to do so. Especially with all of the changes with sick pay enacted. I would never have figured that out properly.

This company is top of the line. They have the olden days touch of personal help, (I miss that so it's refreshing), with modern technology to keep things up to date. They saved this company, and I'll stay with them for as long as I'm in business if they will keep me:-)

Pros

Biggest thing initially - someone was there when I called to ask for help (when setting up one may have a question or two).

When they answer they sound like they are right there with me, and are friendly and patient. Just amazing customer support, which tells me quarterlies & all other data will be accurate when it's submitted (they seem to really care). I love that all of my data is filed within their system as well. Very easy to use. It takes me less than 5 minutes to do payroll from inputting hours to printing out check registers. It does the hard work for you, so you can tend to the business you're running.

Cons

It's difficult to think of something negative because everything a business owner wants is there. If something has been challenging to me, (not experienced in payroll), I just call them up. My advice is to know what your State unemployment rate is when setting it up since this can be different for everyone, and know they are there if one gets confused.

Andy H.
Industry: Hospital & Health Care

Great for Small Business

Reviewed on 11/1/2021

Pros

Overall Patriot Payroll systems have been very user friendly for our small medical practice. Timecard features are easy to use for employees and payroll administration. Adding payroll features such as insurance deductions, 401(k) contributions and payroll advancement deductions are easy to implement and are immediately updated in the system. Patriot makes it easy to find payroll tax filings and keeping track of accrued time-off benefits for employees. I would highly recommend this software for small businesses looking for an easy-to-maintain payroll solution.

Cons

Some of the payroll tax integrations could be improved on a state-by-state basis. It's not as intuitive if an employee wants to make certain tax deductions (withholding more than just standard deductions). Also, if you have employees who often work at multiple sites, there's no easy way to select the location where the work is performed other than updating the employees profile and changing it on a daily basis when submitting your payroll. Also, it would be nice to have time-off accrual rules built in to the employee profile as opposed to going into the separate module for time-off rules, but this is a very minor issue.

Likelihood to recommend: 7.0/10

John S.
Industry: Civil Engineering

Patriot Payroll Rocks!

Reviewed on 12/1/2021

Saving time and eliminating the risk and liability of missing deadlines for filing are the biggest problems I'm solving. I spend 10 minutes max every two weeks on payroll.

Pros

Having tried filing payrolls documents myself, I found it to be a nightmare of paperwork, made that much more difficult by the State of Maryland, who seems to thrive on making things complicated. Enter Patriot Payroll to the rescue! They make payroll easy and even stay on top of the ever changing requirements doled out by the State. A huge timesaver!

Cons

As a sole proprietorship, I don't have a lot of super complicated payroll tasks, so I likely don't take advantage of the many features. I can't think of anything that I'm lacking as it takes care of 401k, taxes, and all of the straightforward payroll items I need.

Craig P.
Industry: Information Technology & Services

Basic Payroll for Small Business

Reviewed on 12/1/2021

For small business, it's a great value. We are Full Service Payroll customers so I can't speak on partial service. I understand there is some manual effort on your part if you take the partial service option. My CPA was amazed that Patriot does Full Service payroll for what they charge. Like the Accounting Software, it's pretty basic compared to Quickbooks but if you only have a a few employees it's not a big deal. I also like that if you have a payroll question on "Why is this happening" they can answer it. Sometimes the answer goes beyond the functionality of the software and that's ok that their team will do that. Customer Service is excellent. Highly recommend Patriot.

Pros

The full service payroll is totally "hands off". They do everything, including filing reports. For the price it's a bargain. I can run Payroll in less than 5 minutes. The Wizard works well. If you make a mistake, delete the run and start over. Software is highly Available, as it is in AWS as I understand. Have never had an unplanned outage. If you are looking at the Payroll, consider the Accounting package also as the integration is totally seamless.

Cons

The reports can be confusing, but that's not an issue with the software, it's because I'm not an accountant. YTD reporting could be a little better.

Raymond N.
Industry: Law Practice

Perfect for a Small Business or Sole-Proprietor

Reviewed on 11/4/2020

Overall, Patriot has helped me get my payroll taxes under control. For years as a sole proprietor (I am self-incorporated with an S election) I was just paying in estimated taxes quarterly and thus my income was determined by my draws, in essence. Like many sole proprietors, I got behind on my estimates and ended up with big tax bills every year. This software enabled me to implement what my accountant had been begging me to do for years: put myself on a reasonable, regular, payroll, and stick to it. Because cash flow is never predictable in my work, I pay myself a weekly salary. The software does my withholdings, takes out the money for taxes, and then does an ACH direct payment to my personal account each week. It also calculates employer contributions for health insurance, HSA, and in my case, an SEP. It has brought much needed discipline in my personal finance and how I run my business with very little cost.

Pros

This product is easy to learn and use, and that is what I like most about this software. Second to that, I like the fact that it has made my own payroll (I pay myself a W2 salary out of gross company earnings) nearly mindless. The fact that my payroll taxes are computed accurately, withheld, paid on time, and that the forms are filed for me is priceless.

Cons

I think the payment of bonuses could be more obvious in how it is done, but I am stretching here. This product is nearly perfect.

Tammi A.
Company size: Self Employed

Patriot Payroll Above and Beyond!

Reviewed on 18/1/2021

Patriots customer service is great. Anytime I have had an issue they have responded promptly with a fix or at least information regarding the issue.

Pros

Patriot is very user friendly and cost effective. Payroll is very easy to run and reports are easy to find and put together.

Cons

There are a few items that could use some help:
1st - Payroll Draws could have a section on the payroll run versus backing out and having to go in under the employee first.
2nd - Having the option to pay out a bonus without zeroing out a salary and adding in hours. System requires a 0 salary but 1 hour to pay out a bonus.
3rd - The option to pay out a bonus with only social security and medicare. Almost all payroll companies offer this....what we have to do is change the W4 and then go back and add it back in...that can cause an error that could easily be fixed.
Lastly - No timecard system for Monthly payroll processing. There is a weekly, semiweekly and bi monthly but no option for Monthly. There are still some out there that use this option to pay their employees and not offering a timecard system is a loss to patriot.

Lori M.
Industry: Nonprofit Organisation Management

Best Payroll Software Out There!

Reviewed on 9/1/2021

Pros

I have used several different payroll systems and Patriot is my favorite. It is easy to use and has a great price! All the reporting and paychecks are automatic, which makes it super easy for me, who is not an accounting expert. Our bookkeeper is a Patriot Partner and is fabulous with helping if we have any questions. As a non-profit, having less money go to payroll allows us to have more money to help our students.

Cons

Being super picky, the dashboard doesn't come up when you open the software. Also, in the employer portal, when processing payroll, I always have to change the date of the payroll in order to run payroll. Just an extra step.

James G.
Industry: Management Consulting

Great software for new small businesses

Reviewed on 11/1/2021

It's been a good overall experience. I have been using the product since Jan 2018.

Pros

The software is easy to use. Customer service has always been responsive. It is less expensive than QuickBooks but has similar features. New features are frequently added throughout the year, and this includes adapting to new laws for Covid-19.

Cons

I cannot yet delegate the timecard approval to a manager without that manager seeing everyone's payroll including the owner.

Darrell W.
Industry: Entertainment

The Perfect Payroll Solution for Us

Reviewed on 6/10/2020

This is a product that I cannot say enough about. and In the very few cases where I have needed assistance they have product support like I've never seen before. Patient, smart humans will take all the time I need to help me with any issue, without exception.

Pros

It is super easy to use from setting it up. Once set up it is quick complete and a truly perfect solution for a smaller business.

Cons

Not really a con, but sometimes I have to look around to find what I need, but it's all there and easy to use even for a non accountant.

Steve R.

Best Payroll Service

Used Monthly for 6-12 months
Reviewed on 18/1/2021

I love this business and the staff. I am satisfied and would recommend to anyone with a small business trying to get off the ground and needed some help getting established. Your service and soft ware are exceptional.

Pros

First of all the staff accessibility and assistance was one of the biggest draws to this service. The patience and personal touch of the staff were appealing and necessary after previous experience with larger payroll services that under performed and motivated me to find a better more helpful service.

Overall, the software is useful and easy enough to figure out for a person that is not good with computer related tasks. I have all the information I need and am able to print necessary reports and make changes to payroll with little frustration.

Cons

The only thing I find frustrating is the lack of options for setting up a monthly payroll option that changes every month. I have my own business (on the side) and work for a company full time where I get my regular pay and benefits. My monthly income from the business is variable each month and making the changes to the monthly pay I want only gives me options for hourly or salary choices. What I pay myself for tax purposes would be considered "salary", but I find it hard to make changes each month whether I pay myself 8,000.00 or 5,000.00 and I don't trust the amount of withholding that comes out. This becomes guesswork to figure "extra" amounts to withhold to ballpark the amounts. Maybe this is an IRS problem and not yours, but I don't have confidence that correct amounts are deducted....especially when I have to change the pay frequently.

Matthew V.
Industry: Consumer Services

Easiest and best service and value!

Used Monthly for 1+ year
Reviewed on 8/1/2020

Patriot Software's customer service team has been friendly and helpful every time I have reached out. All of my questions have been answered quickly so I could get back to work.

Pros

I love Patriot Software Payroll's incredible ease of use. I used it for a year, then switched to Quickbooks Payroll because I thought it would be easier because we use QBO. I was wrong. Quickbooks Payroll was much harder to use. The primary reason is that you still have to do a great deal when using QBO Payroll. With Patriot Software, once it is set up, the do so much more FOR you as part of the service. This gives me peace of mind, because I don't worry about making a mistake or overlooking one of the many filings.

Cons

For Patriot Software's Payroll software, I have experienced no downsides.

Crystal S.

Honest Patriot Payroll Review

Reviewed on 16/9/2019

This software has saved me a huge amount of money regarding payroll.

Pros

Cost was a big thing especially compared to other accounting software. It is easy to use.

Cons

I wish it was easier to calculate the PTO part.

Response from Patriot Software

Hi Crystal,
Thank you for your terrific review. We wanted to let you know that in addition to the free manage time off feature, we also have time off accruals where you can set up "rules" so employees earn their PTO hours based on the number of hours worked. Please check out our help article on how to set those up,(https://www.patriotsoftware.com/payroll/training/help/setting-up-company-time-off-accrual-rules/) or chat or call us! We are here to help.

Bilal A.
Industry: Medical Practice

Great product with great service!

Reviewed on 10/1/2021

Pros

Payroll is super easy to use; it's dummy proof. It makes payday a lot less painful.
I dont have to mess with paperwork or filings. Thank you PS!

Cons

I only use payroll services. I don't mind trying other services but I would need better guidance on how to use them. Im a dentist and dont have time to figure out all the accounting terms.

Victor E.

EZ to use

Reviewed on 10/3/2020

DON'T EVEN TRY IT JUST GET IT! YOU'LL LOVE IT

Pros

one of the most important things I was looking for when I was searching for a different payroll software was COSTUMER SUPPORT and thankfully I can communicate with Patriot Software easily. there is nothing to complain about, I absolutely love PATRIOT SOFTWARE!!!

Cons

I want to say come up with an application for IOS, Android, etc. which I know they are already working on it

Joel V.
Industry: Real Estate

Great program that disrupted the industry's big guys

Reviewed on 8/5/2020

Pros

It is easy to use and very intuitive. No manual required and you are able to do most of the things a regular business owner needs. If you have to call customer service, they are very good and attentive; especially at the beginning when one has to set up the company. I'm very satisfied with this company.

Cons

Some reports are different when you just ran the payroll than when you go to the report tab. I would suggest adding a favorite reports folder.

Eric L.
Industry: Individual & Family Services

Best Low Cost Alternative

Reviewed on 19/11/2019

Best Payroll Software for its money. Has the employee portal and everything. Makes a big company feel with half the costs.

Pros

The software has all the functionalities that other software providers offer with half the cost of them. I used other payroll software that doesn't even come close to pricing.

Cons

There isn't much. The only thing I would say would be the look of the website. Looks outdated but other then that all the functions work and i haven't had a problem out if it yet.

Ralph P.
Industry: Religious Institutions

Heard About Patriot Software On The Radio

Reviewed on 5/8/2019

I was using QuickBooks Non-Profit for accounting and payroll. The payroll add-on was so expensive and I had to file and pay all of my reports to the IRS, and state and local taxing authorities! By switching to Patriot all I have to do is record the transactions and file all the reports of collections, payments and filings. By switching my nerves are settled and calm knowing that everything is taken care of and is correct! No pressure now.

Pros

The cost for the services and the scope of the services provided.

Cons

I don't know of anything I dislike about Patriot Software.

Response from Patriot Software

Thanks for sharing Ralph! We love that you no longer have to worry about payroll mistakes. Calming the nerves is one side effects of using Patriot Software. :)

Seth S.
Industry: Law Practice

Patriot made my life easier

Reviewed on 7/1/2021

Our offices experience with patriot is so great that I often forget about payroll duties until the days we actually run payroll or when I receive notices from Patriot, which allows me to actually work on my business. Thanks Patriot!!!

Pros

The tech support from Patriot is awesome.

Cons

I'll get back to you when something pops up.

Teresa L.
Company size: Self Employed

Patriot Software is AWESOME!

Reviewed on 14/1/2021

I used to use another software for close to 20 years. That software company decided to start using support outside of the U.S. which created a huge language barrier. That is when I started looking for other software and I am so thankful that I found Patriot. I only wish I would have looked sooner :)

Pros

Patriot Software is a very user friendly software and has great customer support. They have very friendly staff and support is located in the US which is a huge plus. I appreciate their speed to help me resolve any issue I might have.

Cons

I really do not have anything negative to say about Patriot. Great product and great people!

Sara K.
Industry: Fine Art

Patriot is awesome

Reviewed on 8/1/2021

The main help from patriot is that they file and pay all the payroll taxes so I don't have to think or worry about it. They've been helpful with COVID and PPP.

Pros

Patriot takes care of the nitty gritty of tax filing that Quickbooks payroll left to me. That was the main reason I left QB payroll and switched to Patriot. It's easy to use, simple to integrate, and the customer service is prompt and helpful. I'll be a loyal customer for years to come!

Cons

Patriot has improved their user interface but there's still room for improvement. When you first log in there are a few icons on the dashboard that then aren't there when you navigate away and come back. I'd like there to be uniformity of experience.
I also would have appreciated a notice from them about the PPP reports update.

Cheryl R.

Payroll support

Used Other for 2+ years
Reviewed on 12/1/2021

Overall experience has been good.

Pros

Patriot software is very easy to use, and priced low, compared to other providers.

Cons

1 feature I do not like, is that the software does not help with state forms such as DE9 or DE9C.

Kim K.
Industry: Consumer Services

FANTASTIC Service and Company!

Reviewed on 11/1/2020

Pros

Love the ease of use, accuracy and customer service is the best! Was able to set up ourselves and not having to rely on a CDR that was different every time was key.

Cons

Nothing so far! I really have nothing bad to say 2 years in.

Elizabeth C.
Industry: Nonprofit Organisation Management

Taking the anxiety out of Payroll

Reviewed on 16/1/2020

Overall the set up and customer service is awesome. I called a handful of times during set up requesting help figuring something out..and it was always a great experience. We started with 1 employee and now have several, and payroll is a quick and painless task. I recommend PatriotSoftware to friends who run businesses, whom aren't tech savvy...encouraging them, they can do it too!

Pros

This software has the functionality of different pay rates for different jobs...1 employee might do several different jobs within a pay period, and as a non profit we need to keep track of where hours and money gets classified. This makes it so easy!

I like that we see all our employees and all the pay rates within the same table. That way you can add the hours into each column, and see your estimates of what payroll will be, before you actually run it.

The flawless integration of Direct Deposit to employees and Payroll Taxes being withdrawn is amazing. I don't have to think about it any further.

Cons

I ran into a couple problems with running adequate reporting for quickbooks entry. My Quickbooks Guru we work with, found a workaround within the reporting available to us..it worked out fine, just needed to do an extra step of calculations.

I wish during the final step of payroll, it would give me a simple listed breakdown and total sum of :
1. payroll being deposited