Patriot Payroll

4.8 (3,179)
Patriot Software helps you keep your time and money!

(3,179)

Justin
  • Industry: Environmental Services

Patriot Software - Great Payroll Software Value

Reviewed on 14/4/2020

Overall, Patriot has been great to work with. Set up was quick and easy. Onboarding employees and contractors are straight-forward and not hard to do. And their service is top-notch as well.

Pros

I like the ease of use and user-friendly interface and dashboard.

Cons

I think that the timeline when processing payroll isn't as advantageous to small businesses as more expensive options like ADP can be. Although it's not as costly as ADP it required payroll to be funded about a week ahead of check dates which can be challenging for a new, small field service company.

Reasons for Switching to Patriot Payroll

We chose Patriot for it's the combination of affordable cost, good service, and good features and functionality.
Chad
  • Industry: Automotive

I would recommend patriot payroll for small buisnesses.

Reviewed on 28/11/2022

I would be lost without Patriot and I would have to pay someone else to do payroll for us. With Patriot, I feel more in control of our business and know that there is an easily accessible record to fall back on.

Pros

This software makes me feel confident in managing our payroll and taxes. If I have questions, the answers are relatively easy to find. If I can't find the answer, access to a live chat is super helpful.

Cons

The "MANAGING TIME OFF" feature is not my favorite. It is somewhat confusing and not very user friendly until you employ some trial and error.

Crystal

Do not let your accountant use this software.

Reviewed on 17/2/2022

My accountant disappeared, I'm assuming it is because she defrauded her clients and I can't reach her or find her anywhere.

Patriot Software is refusing to give me the payroll records for my business so I can be law-abiding and get my taxes done.

I have explained to them NUMEROUS times the following:

After continually forgetting to run payroll, my previous accountant told me she was selling her business and passing me on to the person she sold it to who would take over my account from there.

Well, she and this other person completely ghosted me and my 2020 taxes never got done. Between dealing with the pandemic fallout and lack of available, trustworthy accountants it took me until mid-2021 to find a good accountant to help me get caught up.

I was paying her to do my accounting and my new accountant said my books are a mess and nothing makes any sense. My bookkeeping wasn't being done at all. [SENSITIVE CONTENT] was charging me and sending me false reports on top of the mistakes on my payroll. Oh and she wasn’t even a real CPA I finally learned as well.

These revelations plus the fact that she has disappeared from the face of the earth leads me to believe I wasn't the only client she was defrauding and she doesn't want to be found.

Patriot Software continues to tell me: 'They can't release my records without my payroll provider’s written permission' and there is nothing they can do to help me. They said they will reach out to her and get back to me when they hear back fr

Pros

Nothing. It was a pain A business owner can't access it, only the accountant

Cons

As a business owner, Patriot will hold your records hostage if your accountant defrauds and disappears on you. Patriot will never be on the business owners' side. Customer service is terrible!

Samantha

User friendly & good for the money

Reviewed on 7/10/2022

Overall, it is a good software. It is easy to see employee information, make changes, send invites to employees, track pay, enter/delete deductions, etc.

Pros

Very user friendly & easy to correct any mistakes that may have been made. Customer service is always a delight. They seem to really care about my needs and get me exactly what I need in a timely manner.

Cons

Not being able to pull specific YTD information without going through other reports. Not having an app for employees to download.

TrackSmart Attendance

Reasons for Choosing Patriot Payroll

Other softwares weren't working with my needs for direct deposit. They were more expensive than I'd like. Being a small start-up business, every penny counts.

Reasons for Switching to Patriot Payroll

The price, customer service, ease of access, free trial allowance. I love that I could test it before committing to it. You never know if you really like something until you try it.
Doreen

Excellent value for small businesses

Reviewed on 16/1/2023

Customer service is so helpful. They've always been able to help me within minutes if I've had an issue.

Pros

It is super easy to use. It was the most cost effective software we could find and it is easier to use than our last program.

Cons

There isn't anything that I dislike about this software. It's been very easy to use.

Manuel

Reviewed on 27/12/2022

Pros

I love the way we can print out tax forms at the end of the year or even better, send them directly to all employees electronically at the click of button. This was always my worst day of the year, as a small business owner to print out 40 W-2 forms and 1099 forms, it was painful but now we are done in less than 5 minutes.

Cons

I can't say there are many downfalls but I would say that it could be more customer friendly to help with out of state employees and all the documentation needed for them.

Jimmy
  • Industry: Law Practice

A Small Business Must

Reviewed on 14/12/2022

Having Patriot Software has made payroll easy and cost efficient. It lets me focus on servicing my clients rather that focusing on payroll.

Pros

Although the software is easy to use, when there is an issue (usually caused by user mistake) the customer service is very helpful in resolving any issues.

Cons

I have no complaints. I find the software easy to use for a small business.

ADP SmartCompliance

Reasons for Switching to Patriot Payroll

Cost efficiency and ease of use
Jody

Great Payroll Service!

Reviewed on 11/1/2023

We have had a great experience with Patriot and are very satisfied with the product and service.

Pros

This is comparable to all the other "big name" payroll providers out there, but below cost!

Cons

Sometimes there are glitches in the system from time to time, but nothing that cannot be worked out with customer service.

Denielle
  • Industry: Insurance

Principal

Reviewed on 20/12/2022

I have a small business. I pay myself and one part-time employee. It's easy to get my payroll done each week, and I don't have to worry about the tax filings or payments. Yay!

Pros

It is very easy to use for my weekly and monthly payrolls

Cons

When I have had a question or concern Patriot's people were very supportive and helpful. No real complaints.

Christina
  • Industry: Machinery

Patriot Payroll

Reviewed on 29/12/2022

My experience has been great with Patriot Payroll, it makes my job so much easier .

Pros

I think the best thing about this software is how it is so easy to keep track of employees pay and taxes, making the end of the year easier.

Cons

I have a few times ran into difficultly finding information needed for employees. Navigating can be a bit tricky

Gandalf

Great for tight budgets

Reviewed on 14/1/2021

Overall, Patriot has been a great tool and it freed me from the clutches of Intuit, maker of Quickbooks. I spend a fraction of what I used to pay Intuit and I get more features with better customer service.

I also looked at Gusto and Paychex, but Patriot was the cheapest option with the most features, hands down.

Pros

I signed up as a Partner and got 50% discount off the retail rates. I like that the full service payroll handles all the tax remittances and reporting. Plus, I generated W-2s with the click of a button.

Cons

My biggest disappointment was the 4 day lead time on Direct Deposit. We typically set up pay periods to end on Saturday, so we had to run payroll on Monday in order to make direct deposit show up on Friday. That left no cushion of time and a holiday pushed the direct deposit back to the following Monday!

The "solution" was to Prefund the Payroll by giving Patriot a "Deposit" that they used for each payroll and then "refilled" to the set amount. Luckily, this worked for my some of my clients, but many of them can't afford to tie up that much cash. This may be a deal breaker for some companies.

Gusto and Paychex Flex

Reasons for Choosing Patriot Payroll

Intuit has terrible service, terrible business practices, and fewer features. It was a no-brainer!

Reasons for Switching to Patriot Payroll

It was cheaper and had more features. Easy decision.
Ronnie
  • Industry: Commercial Real Estate

Summary

Reviewed on 8/1/2021

Major benefit is Patriot is less expensive than ADP and easier to use.

Pros

To generate a payroll period, it is straight forward. I appreciate the fact of Patriot taking care of the tax filings. I also appreciated that they automatically added the FFCRA paid leave and paid FLMA leave . I greatly appreciate their customer service personnel. They appear to train them well and are actually helpful either knowing the answer/solution or will inquire with a supervisor to get an answer if at all possible. If not, they are great in following up with an answer or simply responding that they are still researching.

Cons

Navigating through reports could be improved by having a link on every report window to go back to the Report menu rather than having to use the side menu bar. When navigating EE time cards, it would be nice to have the dates appear at the top of the page as you scroll down to enter other hours to ensure you are entering on the correct day.
I would prefer EE timecards would open to the pay period to be entered versus the next pay period due to the date they are entering their hours. Many people end up entering their hours in the upcoming time card versus the time card and time period still to be processed.
Improvements to adding Group Term Life income at the end of the year could also be a suggestion.

Some reports need to be enhanced utilizing the Department data they have recently added. It needs to be an option on which one sort on. Anniversary reports have difficulty calculating total time for EE who had a break in service.

Paychex Flex

Reasons for Choosing Patriot Payroll

Price and difficulty in processing a payroll

ADP Workforce Now

Reasons for Switching to Patriot Payroll

Price and salesman was not responsive to questions.
Kristen

Patriot Software

Reviewed on 18/11/2019

Customer Service is great . It's not always intuitive with where to find things, but over the year + we've used it they've made a few great improvments (like multi hour wages, and pto tracking).

Pros

We use Patriot Software in a wide variety of industries (restaurant, retail, day care, and more). I love how I can set it up for a client, and show them briefly how to run their own payroll. Very easy for simply payrolls.

Cons

My biggest pet peeve is the inflexibility of making tax adjustments. For Example: a restaurant where they pay out tips each night means that a check would be for sever hours only, usually about $40 for the week. The tips justify enough taxes that they end up with a negative paycheck. In any other system I can manually adjust the taxes held to get the check to zero or close. (the server ends up owing money at the end of the year). With PS, I have to come up with other options for getting the paycheck to zero (like getting the business to cover the taxes in the meantime).

Reasons for Choosing Patriot Payroll

We wanted to automate the tax collection to improve cash flow for some clients.

Price point.
timothy
  • Industry: Nonprofit Organisation Management

Extremely easy to use - Excellent US-based support

Reviewed on 11/3/2020

Pros

I absolutely love how responsive Patriot's support is and it's US-based, which is a huge plus because of alternative language barriers or time zone issues. They offer phone, email and/or chat support with low to no wait times. I love how self-explanatory things are - it's easy to 'find' what you're trying to do in most cases, without enlisting the help of Support. Definitely saves me time and money versus using an overpriced and under-delivering PEO, that's for sure.

Cons

Patriot does not yet offer the ability to break employees out by department, which is particularly useful for reporting purposes, when entering info into accounting software such as QBO, etc. While I'm told they're working on this functionality, it's been 9 months since I was told this and am still not hearing updates on progress in rolling this out. But we have since come up with a feasible workaround and realize no single solution will do 100% of what you're needing, in almost any case. So it's not impacting our workflow in an overall negative way, it'd just be nice to have this when it rolls out.

Reasons for Choosing Patriot Payroll

Overpriced PEO services didn't fit our model anymore. We can easily run payroll and manage HR functions in-house, with Patriot.

Price and support
Karen
  • Industry: Medical Practice
  • Used for 2+ years

Best Business Decision!

Reviewed on 14/1/2021

EXCELLENT COMPANY! I LOVE this company! I only wish other businesses were as easy and user friendly as Patriot!

Pros

I do not have a business degree but I have my own medical practice. I used other companies for payroll and they repeated made mistakes and were expensive. I switched to Patriot 2 years ago and have been so happy about my choice! The staff was very helpful getting set up and once I was set up, it is so easy to use! I would never return to the big companies! I recommend Patriot to all of my colleagues!

Cons

The ONLY con is that it takes 5 business days to get the payroll done, so if there is a holiday and we forget it falls in the middle of the week, I end up having to hand write the payroll instead of direct deposit.

Reasons for Choosing Patriot Payroll

Awful customer service and poor product- and always trying to sell me MORE poor product!

Paychex Flex

Reasons for Switching to Patriot Payroll

It was straightforward, very affordable, and easy to use!
Oscar

Price vs Value

Reviewed on 15/1/2021

I like it over all, my only one concern for the size of clients I have is the 4 days direct deposit, I don't like neither my clients the other option of add funds to Patriot to have next day direct deposit.

Pros

The software covers most of the frequently payroll needs.
The price is according for what you get.
Customer service is quick response, helpful and kind.
Easy to navigate between companies.
Easy to set up, the steps guide you very well to avoid any error.
Contains value information of how to get tax account from other states.
The blog contains value HR information.

Cons

The 4 days direct deposit.
It does not notify that the date to run is coming up.
Prefund next day payment.

OnPay, Gusto and RUN Powered by ADP

Reasons for Choosing Patriot Payroll

It more expensive for the basic runs I do every week.

Reasons for Switching to Patriot Payroll

Price, recommendations and is perfecto for the size of my cleints.
Luke

Great Product For Accountant Users & Business Owners

Reviewed on 8/1/2021

Overall a great experience and will continue to use in the future. It gets the job done and it definitely feels like the company continues to grow and expand the product, always in positive directions.

Pros

Pleasant to look at and navigate the UI; has an intuitive design that usually allows one to figure things out quickly; the reports are top notch; and integrates with QBO & XERO. Also, the Advisor program for accountants is intriguing and definitely a plus, though I haven't capitalized on that quite yet.

Cons

At times, certain functions and the design seem basic and possibly below par than the competition in terms of features and additional (though not essential) tools or options. But I'm ok with this since the product does everything I need it to do.

QuickBooks Payroll, OnPay and Gusto

Reasons for Choosing Patriot Payroll

Price/cost and the negative corporate vibes displayed by Intuit.

Reasons for Switching to Patriot Payroll

Similar to above- Price/cost and the negative corporate vibes displayed by Intuit.
Danielle

The best decision!

Reviewed on 8/2/2020

Purchasing access to the Patriot Software program was one of my best decisions. In fact, I wish I had started sooner because it would have saved me a lot of time and money. I appreciate knowing when I call for tech support I will be able to speak with a person in a timely manner, and that person will be patient with me. I cannot imagine growing my business without Patriot Software.

Pros

I am both a scientist and an educator, not a business person by training. Patriot Software was recommended to me by my accountant. I primarily use the payroll features for my small business. It is so easy to use for both myself and employees. I appreciate the fact there is an employee portal. All of the features from running payrolls, to creating W2s is so user-friendly. And when I haven't been sure how to accomplish something the phone in teach support has been amazing. Aside from the product being a wonderful time saver for me to use, it also at a price point that is incredibly reasonable.

Cons

This is one of the rare items I have ever used where I have nothing constructive that should be changed. I have been thrilled with all aspects of the Patriot System.

ADP TotalSource and RUN Powered by ADP

Reasons for Switching to Patriot Payroll

I spoke with their representatives a number of times on the phone and really liked the staff I encountered. I also felt the services I needed were offered at the right price point for my small business.
Richard
  • Industry: Restaurants

Outstanding Product

Reviewed on 5/1/2021

Customer service can sometimes seem limited and that is knowledgeable as you would like. But overall customer service just stand out for the willingness to try to meet the demand.

Pros

The software is exceptional in value As integration of employees and tax documents. Patriot software it’s a user-friendly and intuitive product that is easily and asset for any company organization.

Cons

Customer service can sometimes seem limited and that is knowledgeable as you would like. But overall customer service does stand out for the willingness to try to meet the demand

APS Payroll and Breezy

Reasons for Choosing Patriot Payroll

Cost savings and value for the money

Reasons for Switching to Patriot Payroll

I felt more comfortable with it in the face and the simplicity of use.
James
  • Industry: Management Consulting

Great software for new small businesses

Reviewed on 11/1/2021

It's been a good overall experience. I have been using the product since Jan 2018.

Pros

The software is easy to use. Customer service has always been responsive. It is less expensive than QuickBooks but has similar features. New features are frequently added throughout the year, and this includes adapting to new laws for Covid-19.

Cons

I cannot yet delegate the timecard approval to a manager without that manager seeing everyone's payroll including the owner.

Reasons for Choosing Patriot Payroll

Payroll Mate had very poor customer service.

Payroll Mate

Reasons for Switching to Patriot Payroll

I chose Patriot because it is a great price for the quality of the software and features.
Tony
  • Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

Patriot Payroll has great customer service and is easy to use!!

Reviewed on 16/2/2018

This is a very user-friendly and inexpensive way to get payroll done. This software has saved our company a lot of time and money. I would recommend this product to small and medium-size companies.

Pros

The customer support is very effective and made Implementation process very smooth. The process for logging employee hours and applying deductions are very easy to understand and straightforward. This product has a very user-friendly UI that is clean and very intuitive, this makes reporting very flexible. This is a cost effective solution for small companies as long as you do not need extensive job costing integration into an accounting system.

Cons

The direct deposit functionality is very restrictive at times and they require that the payroll is processed by Monday for it to be distributed to the employee's account on Friday. Patriot Payroll does use ADP as a third party to do the direct deposits. This doesn't really work well with our paperless environment. After you have entered hours you can not go back and correct any mistakes you may have made on a payroll deduction. This is frustrating at times. You have to delete the entire payroll, edit the deduction and then re-enter the payroll. This makes the software feel very clunky, an alternative would be to approve the payroll void the incorrect check and then re-run another payroll.

Response from Michele

Tony, as of December 2018, we no longer use a third party to manage direct deposit. Everything is seamless and in our software. Did you know that if you are paying your employees by direct deposit, and have set them up with the free employee portal, no printing is necessary on your end? Employees can log in to their employee portal and download paystubs from their if needed, making your payroll paperless. :)

Diana
  • Used for 6-12 months

Accessible staff to help you get up & running/for ongoing support & very EASY to use.

Reviewed on 24/9/2020

I lost my payroll person when covid hit. I was stressed about this because finding anyone to take on more business when lockdown happened wasn't going to happen. Something about that virus caused a vast majority of people to stop working altogether, so it was a stressful time for me. Patriot software personnel did not stop working though. They were right there to ease that stress and keep my business up and running. They have been a blessing to me, and to my staff who have not stopped working.

Had they not been there I probably would have closed since I find it very important for my payroll to be accurate. I can run payroll by hand in a pinch but I am not a bookkeeper so it's stressful and risky to do so. Especially with all of the changes with sick pay enacted. I would never have figured that out properly.

This company is top of the line. They have the olden days touch of personal help, (I miss that so it's refreshing), with modern technology to keep things up to date. They saved this company, and I'll stay with them for as long as I'm in business if they will keep me:-)

Pros

Biggest thing initially - someone was there when I called to ask for help (when setting up one may have a question or two).

When they answer they sound like they are right there with me, and are friendly and patient. Just amazing customer support, which tells me quarterlies & all other data will be accurate when it's submitted (they seem to really care). I love that all of my data is filed within their system as well. Very easy to use. It takes me less than 5 minutes to do payroll from inputting hours to printing out check registers. It does the hard work for you, so you can tend to the business you're running.

Cons

It's difficult to think of something negative because everything a business owner wants is there. If something has been challenging to me, (not experienced in payroll), I just call them up. My advice is to know what your State unemployment rate is when setting it up since this can be different for everyone, and know they are there if one gets confused.

Melanie
  • Industry: Consumer Goods

This is the only payroll software I've ever used and the only one I ever plan to use

Reviewed on 13/8/2021

I love how hands off and easy to use it is. I run payroll weekly and it takes me about 5 minutes total. It's completely seamless and efficient!

Pros

When I signed up for Patriot (YEARS ago!) I wanted something that was user friendly, easy to navigate and had an awesome customer service team behind it. I'm an entrepreneur; not an accountant and I wanted a company that would help whenever I had tax related questions. Patriot has fit the bill for all of that.

Cons

The only thing that has been an issue is there have been two times in the last year in which my employees have woken up Friday morning and not had their direct deposit paychecks in their bank account. Given the stressful times of COVID this has caused them (mainly their spouses!) stress wondering where their paychecks have been. Luckily both times I've gotten on chat with Patriot and they've admitted the problem with their bank and have promised the direct deposits would be in by EOD. And they have been. I do hope they can get those kinks worked out bc no one likes to wake up and not have their owed money in their bank accounts. But for what it's worth... the communication about it is AMAZING and most of the time that is more important than anything else.

Cost and ease of use.
Scott

Payroll is best

Reviewed on 8/1/2021

Just finished our first year and have been really happy we made the change. Growing this portion of our business and we feel like we have a strong ally working with us.

Pros

Easy to use and set up. Customer service has been outstanding, we can get quick response to questions.

Cons

Some of the reports are a bit lacking. Minnesota need to file new hire reports, would be great if we could generate direct. Correcting or changing payroll in process need to cancel out, wish option was available to dial into tax to make changes.

Pricing and customer service

Claire

I LOVE PATRIOT PAYROLL!!!

Reviewed on 11/1/2021

I love this software- it is clean, simple and very professional in the way it keeps up with tax and accounting laws. I love the COVID-19 features recently added- a good example of how invested Patriot is to making our work easy!

Pros

As a small business owner, I love having a comprehensive payroll system that not only accurately manages payroll for my team, but it "helps" me to follow laws (that constantly change) by having accurate data structures and helpful "tips" embedded right into the GUI.

Cons

Pulling reports is not as intuitive as it could be. My accountant can probably manage fine, but I am not a fiscal expert. It would be great to be able to pull reports that were labeled for non-financial users.

My accountant recommended Patriot