Patriot Payroll

4.8 (2,943)
Patriot Software helps you keep your time and money!

(2,943)
4.8/5
4.7/5
4.7/5
4.8/5

Mike F.
  • Industry: Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing

Saves so much time, and I always recommend it!

Reviewed on 4/6/2020

I've saved so much money and time with Patriot, thank you for this product!

Pros

I was paying over $300/mo for a full service payroll for myself + 3 employees to a CPA. I now pay under $40/month for full service payroll with Patriot, and their software is a joy to use. Running a quick payroll, and handling bonuses, benefits, and deductions is so straight forward. The setup and support team is easy to access, quick to answer, and in the US!

Cons

Just because I like to have all of the information, as a feature suggestion, it would be nice to have a tax portal to see my balances and standing all of the state/federal tax accounts.

QuickBooks Payroll and ZipBooks

Reasons for Switching to Patriot Payroll

Price and features. Intuit is so heavy and invasive, and more expensive. Some of the other small startups were buggy and did not have the features I need.
Mark M.

Patriot Payroll belongs on the short list for any small business looking for an online payroll...

Reviewed on 27/4/2022

Very easy setup and it's very easy to run my payroll. Also easy to add and edit employee details. Quarterly tax filings are automatic. Their recent fee increase does begin to lose their edge on competitors that offer similar services at only slightly higher fees.

Pros

The service was very easy to set up (that said, I did choose to move from my prior online payroll service, to Patriot Payroll, on the beginning of a tax year). Running a payroll takes fewer steps than Intuit QuickBooks Online Payroll, which I've previously used. The user interface is intuitive with a ready help function. Good reporting capabilities and it's easy to see what taxes were taken and when they were remitted to taxing authorities. Quarterly reporting is very easy.

Cons

Customer service at implementation was very good. However, subsequent interactions with customer service have been inconsistent in that sometimes their response has been slower or less complete than I'd like. Also, although I don't consider it a "con," Patriot Payroll does deduct from my corporate bank account all payroll taxes the day after each payroll is run, rather than waiting until they are due to be paid to taxing authorities. This means taxes due quarterly are deducted from the corporate account as many as three months in advance. I assume Patriot is making some interest income off holding these monies. This early deduction is something QuickBooks Online Payroll did not do, in my experience.

Gusto and Paychex Flex

Reasons for Choosing Patriot Payroll

The monthly service fee for QuickBooks Online Payroll makes no sense for very small businesses such as mine.

Reasons for Switching to Patriot Payroll

Price and available reviews for the service I was seeking.
Chris D.
  • Industry: Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing
  • Used for 1-5 months

Get a real company to do your payroll

Reviewed on 3/5/2017

Pros

It is very inexpensive and takes on clients that have very few employees. Customer service reps are EXTREMELY HELPFUL, polite, and very knowledgeable of the program abilities and shortfalls.

Cons

You can cancel ANYTIME, but then you have to send all the State/Government taxes collect to their respective agencies with the appropriate paperwork. Patriot sends all the taxes back to you to deal with. Some taxes are due annually, due the end of January, so if you want Patriot to file it, you have to keep the subscription until that date. Nickel and diming. If you want them to track sick days, accumulated vacation days etc, it is included. If you want your employees to be able to track it through the online portal, that will cost you additional per month. Check out the list of add-ons to determine what is important to you.
They offer QuickBooks import of data, but I have yet to see how anything matches anything on the bank statement. Like taxes are deducted from payroll, they show in a different month than the payroll, and the payroll imports as the gross amount which is not the amount sent to the employee by NatPay. If you use a dummy account in your accounting software (QuickBooks) to run all the payroll functions through, this will not bother you and your accountant will made the journal entry additional adjustments. I could not get my first payroll to reconcile, and it was determined that Patriot made an error and did not collect $ 3.60 in taxes somewhere. I am going with when the taxes were going to be sent to the agency, the error would have been found and corrected (depending on the tax agency, some are sent monthly, some quarterly, some annually.) The next payrolls were done correctly.
NatPay is a 3rd party vendor that facilitates the employee direct deposit. If you enter a payroll incorrectly and want to cancel, even seconds later, Patriot says it is canceled, but you have to CALL NATPAY otherwise it goes through. Be sure to not miss the pop-up warning. I was advised they are working on a better solution to make sure it is clear what to do in order to cancel a mistake payroll that was submitted.
The site is not all that easy to navigate. There are report and default options that may not be easy to locate how to set. Strongly suggest that you contact customer services and they will walk you quickly through the process.
I have worked with 4 different Payroll service companies over the last couple of years. They are not all the same, they each have strengths and weaknesses and wide range of costs. From what I can tell, they all do the payroll functions of collecting and distributing employee payments and taxes correctly. The big difference, besides costs, is what they include in the base price, and if/how they enter this information into your accounting system like QuickBooks. With any payroll service, you always have the option to enter it manually into your system from the paystubs which ensure it is entered how you want it.

Response from Michele

I'd like to take the opportunity to clarify some of your misgivings about Patriot:
1. You are correct, you can cancel anytime. If you do cancel, we do give you any money back we have collected so that you can make your filings yourself. If you want Patriot to file, for you, (we'd be happy to), you just need to cancel after the filings have been made.

2. You do not get charged to keep track of sick days or vacation days. There is a free feature in the software called "Manage Time Off".

3. Next pay periods DO automatically populate. This was a feature we added last year.

4. All payroll reports are under the Payroll tab under "Reports". We have an excellent "Payroll Details Report" where you can adjust dates and select specific employees and/or taxes to view. These can be grouped in a variety of ways: check, employee, paydate, totals

5. Once you run a payroll, a file is instantly sent to Natpay. If you void the payroll, you are correct, you will want to call Natpay and make sure the file has been canceled. Because this is a third party vendor who handles direct deposit, we can't control how their system works after the file is sent, unfortunately. We do give warning in the system to remind you. (We want to be sure your employees are only paid once.)

6. Our QB export only sends by pay date, not pay period.

7. We appreciate that we can make our navigation easier, and our UX team is on it!

I'm having a customer support rep reach out to you to help you with these things. We are here for you, Chris. We want you to be among the thousands of satisfied customers Patriot serves every day!

Debi C.

Great Payroll & HR Software for small businesses. Inexpensive and User friendly!

Reviewed on 11/3/2022

Overall its the simplest payroll system we have used at our company and we recommend it. Our employees also prefer this system and love the employee portal.

Pros

Great Customer support! The payroll, HR, and reports features are very user friendly. If you need help you can get customer support on the phone or chat in about 5 minutes and they will walk you through any changes, access tax docs, advanced reports features, and answer questions on any part of their software you don't understand.

Cons

They could improve on communication of an important tax change or upcoming withdrawals like- deferred social security deduction. One time it was taken from our account and I wasn't aware until after it happened.

Jennifer N.
  • Industry: Accounting

Patriot Payroll is the best value for your money

Reviewed on 16/5/2022

I love this compared to QB. It does everything I need it to, and is cost effective for a small business.

Pros

I love that the customer service is US based, and any questions I’ve had have been answered in a timely manner.

Cons

I wish it was easier to export to non QB accounting software.

QuickBooks Payroll and Xero

Reasons for Choosing Patriot Payroll

I used the previous payroll at another job and thought there could be better out there. I was totally right!

Cost and ease of use.
Martin G.

Show Them the Money!

Reviewed on 19/5/2022

Amazing - so easy to use and the most helpful and friendly staff I've ever encountered.

Pros

Payroll is something you definitely don't want to get wrong. It can turn a generally happy employee into a former employee quickly. Patriot has made the process so simple and uncomplicated that we can actually enjoy taking care of it weekly.

Cons

What I like least is that I didn't find this years ago

Angela B.
  • Industry: Design

Accurate Payroll for small business

Reviewed on 16/5/2022

Quick and accurate gathering of my payroll information, and a much easier way to file my taxes

Pros

If you are a small business with professional payroll software needs Patriot is the system for you. It is inexpensive, but exactly what you will need to keep your payroll process accurate. Also, it is so easy to use with great support.

Cons

can't think of anything at the moment. Anything I had a problem with they solved with a quick chat.

Jay U.
  • Industry: Media Production

Payroll done correctly

Reviewed on 28/4/2022

We process all employee payroll. We also use it to send out all direct deposits and even vendor ACH payments. It is solid as a rock and works very well. No surprises, which is welcome!

Pros

Patriot Software Payroll is a full service, no worry solution that just simply works. Once you get everything set up, it's pretty straightforward to use and not horrifically expensive, which is exactly what a business needs in payroll processing.

Cons

We really have no complaints about it at all. It's simply a great solution for any business to consider moving to!

Connor K.

Thanks Patriot Payroll

Reviewed on 12/5/2022

I've had a great experience with Patriot and would recommend them to other small business owners for sure.

Pros

Patriot is super easy to get set up and to run payroll every other week. I spend maybe 5 minutes paying my employees

Cons

I had some initial difficulty getting Patriot to sync up with Quickbooks, my accounting software. Once I adjusted the settings, it's been smooth sailing!

QuickBooks Payroll, ADP Workforce Now and Paychex Flex

Patriot was the most cost effective for my small business of 1 paid employee
Cynthia S.

Easy to Use -- Love PATRIOT PAYROLL for my small business.

Reviewed on 14/6/2022

It has been great. When i was first setting it up, the customer service was great.

Pros

Easy to use. They have made improvements over the years, and it became even easier.

Cons

Can't think think of any issues that I encountered.

The Pros And Cons Of Patriot Payroll: Everything You Need To Know.

Reviewed on 25/3/2022

Overall, I have had a positive experience with Patriot Payroll. The staff is friendly and helpful, and they always answer my questions in a timely manner. I appreciate the fact that they offer both online and offline payroll services, which makes it easy for me to stay compliant with the IRS. I would definitely recommend their services to other small businesses.

Pros

There are many things that we like about Patriot Payroll. First, they offer a variety of services that cater to our needs. Second, their customer service is excellent. We always receive prompt responses to our questions, and their representatives are always willing to help. Third, their prices are very reasonable, and they offer a variety of payment options. Finally, their software is easy to use and very reliable. We never have any problems with it, and it makes processing payroll a breeze.

Cons

There are a few things that I didn't like about Patriot Payroll. First, their customer service is not the best. It can be very difficult to get in touch with someone who can help you, and when you do, they often don't have the answers to your questions. Second, their website is not very user-friendly. It can be hard to find what you're looking for, and the layout is not very intuitive. Finally, their prices are a bit high compared to other payroll providers.

Vickey R.

Awesome Payroll Software

Reviewed on 4/2/2022

As I have stated before, their support is awesome and the "chat" feature has a live person on the other end=) Those live people know the software as well and are usually always able to resolve any issue I have in minutes. Set up is a little difficult ...IF you don't know payroll, so I would strongly recommend hiring someone that knows your type of industry (I work with churches and ministers and payroll is an area that I see a lot of mistakes)...to set up the software for you. But after you get it set up, it is pretty easy to use. I highly recommend this software.

Pros

Their support! After leaving Intuit Payroll for Patriot, their "knowledgable" and available help was a refreshing change!

Cons

There is not an "auto" payroll for my clients that have the same payroll each time. With that added feature, Patriot Payroll would just about be perfect in my opinion.

Bruce D.

Payroll done easy.

Reviewed on 1/11/2021

The problem I am solving was my old CPA who did my payroll, wasn't always doing it right or sending in reports done right or ontime. I didn't know anything about it. He sent me the amount each week to pay and I just wrote the check. Finally got audited ( just the payroll ) and he was of no help. So I decided to do it myself. That was a nightmare. The IRS was no help, anything they had to teach you how to do payroll, assumed you already knew how and just showed you how to fill out the forms, but you had to know which form. I stumbled upon Patriot, signed up and it has been pretty smooth sailing for years.

Pros

I went from paying my CPA to do my payroll and found out years into it, he wasn't always correct. I knew nothing about it, nor what he was doing wrong, nor how to fix it. And I don't think he did either. It was a huge pain in the .... A friend who is a big time corporate CPA, who says I'm too small for his company, told me about online payrolls, mentioned a name or two, so I investigated. Patriot was not one of the ones he mentioned. I don't remember where I first heard about them, but immediately liked them because they have different levels of how much service they provided. I wasn't looking for someone to do everything, I still wanted to be in the loop of knowing what is being done and when. They offer several plans and the one I use is perfect.

Cons

Nothing really. But I have never done payroll before using Patriot, nor have I ever used another software, so I don't have any experience to compare it to. But I have done my payroll to the satisfaction of the governments and would not have been able to with out Patriot. And whenever something came up that I didn't know, they were there to explain/guide me through it.

Karen H.
  • Industry: Outsourcing/Offshoring

Patriot is an amazing platform for small businesses

Reviewed on 14/1/2021

I have been a customer for over 4 years. I left for a brief time thinking I could find something better but after only 5 months, I came back to Patriot. There short falls do not add up to their amazing customer service!

Pros

You can't beat the price point for the technology. it's a solid platform for a small business. They are constantly developing new features that enhance the experience. Their customer service is the best in the business, by far! I don't know how they do it but they hire the nicest most helpful people out there.

Cons

Their reports are somewhat limited and the ability to capture history for changes is non-existent.

Ascentis and RUN Powered by ADP

Reasons for Choosing Patriot Payroll

I wanted more reporting capability and the ability to track history of changes (salary, titles etc...)

Reasons for Switching to Patriot Payroll

Patriot's price point is great and their customer service is amazing!
Gandalf F.

Great for tight budgets

Reviewed on 14/1/2021

Overall, Patriot has been a great tool and it freed me from the clutches of Intuit, maker of Quickbooks. I spend a fraction of what I used to pay Intuit and I get more features with better customer service.

I also looked at Gusto and Paychex, but Patriot was the cheapest option with the most features, hands down.

Pros

I signed up as a Partner and got 50% discount off the retail rates. I like that the full service payroll handles all the tax remittances and reporting. Plus, I generated W-2s with the click of a button.

Cons

My biggest disappointment was the 4 day lead time on Direct Deposit. We typically set up pay periods to end on Saturday, so we had to run payroll on Monday in order to make direct deposit show up on Friday. That left no cushion of time and a holiday pushed the direct deposit back to the following Monday!

The "solution" was to Prefund the Payroll by giving Patriot a "Deposit" that they used for each payroll and then "refilled" to the set amount. Luckily, this worked for my some of my clients, but many of them can't afford to tie up that much cash. This may be a deal breaker for some companies.

Paychex Flex and Gusto

Reasons for Choosing Patriot Payroll

Intuit has terrible service, terrible business practices, and fewer features. It was a no-brainer!

Reasons for Switching to Patriot Payroll

It was cheaper and had more features. Easy decision.
Shana S.

Patriot Software is the way to go!

Reviewed on 12/1/2021

My experience has been wonderful overall with Patriot Payroll. I am able to process my payroll easily and efficiently. I haven't needed external assistance because the system is so user-friendly that I am able to handle all of my needs on my own.

Pros

Patriot Software Payroll is very easy to use! It is very simple to make any adjustments to the employee files and also to print off any necessary reports. I can always find what I am looking for!

Cons

The only feature that I find frustrating, is when I am inputting the information for payroll and then I need to back out of the screen to update an employee file for whatever reason and all of my information that I have entered has to be deleted. It would be better if the information was able to be saved and then edited later, if needed. It is frustrating when you need to make one small change to one employee file and therefore you lose ALL of the input you put in for the other employees and have to re-enter all of the information.

Quickbooks Online

Reasons for Choosing Patriot Payroll

Paychex was too expensive and was not very user friendly.

Paychex Flex

Reasons for Switching to Patriot Payroll

Patriot Payroll appeared more simple and more appropriate for my business needs.
Benjamin B.

Game Changer For Us

Reviewed on 12/1/2021

Pros

We like that we can white label the product. I am big in branding, so beng able to have this as white label, for me, is excellent. The software is easy to use, easy to onboard. The portal works great. We charge our customers, so being a royalty member with multiple clients, I get a good rate, and can always make money doing payroll. Also, it is residual, I always make the difference between what I charge and what I pay. They more clients I get, the less I pay, so the more i make

Cons

There are some features that I wish they had. Auto running payroll for companies that everyone is on salary. Also for sending out 401k, pension, etc, if they did that for us

Cost. Plus ADP only pays for 1 year. Then you make nothing from them

RUN Powered by ADP

White labeling Cost The staff
Ronnie N.
  • Industry: Commercial Real Estate

Summary

Reviewed on 8/1/2021

Major benefit is Patriot is less expensive than ADP and easier to use.

Pros

To generate a payroll period, it is straight forward. I appreciate the fact of Patriot taking care of the tax filings. I also appreciated that they automatically added the FFCRA paid leave and paid FLMA leave . I greatly appreciate their customer service personnel. They appear to train them well and are actually helpful either knowing the answer/solution or will inquire with a supervisor to get an answer if at all possible. If not, they are great in following up with an answer or simply responding that they are still researching.

Cons

Navigating through reports could be improved by having a link on every report window to go back to the Report menu rather than having to use the side menu bar. When navigating EE time cards, it would be nice to have the dates appear at the top of the page as you scroll down to enter other hours to ensure you are entering on the correct day.
I would prefer EE timecards would open to the pay period to be entered versus the next pay period due to the date they are entering their hours. Many people end up entering their hours in the upcoming time card versus the time card and time period still to be processed.
Improvements to adding Group Term Life income at the end of the year could also be a suggestion.

Some reports need to be enhanced utilizing the Department data they have recently added. It needs to be an option on which one sort on. Anniversary reports have difficulty calculating total time for EE who had a break in service.

Paychex Flex

Reasons for Choosing Patriot Payroll

Price and difficulty in processing a payroll

ADP Workforce Now

Reasons for Switching to Patriot Payroll

Price and salesman was not responsive to questions.
Dan K.
  • Industry: Civil Engineering

Solid Tool, Some Shortcomings

Reviewed on 5/1/2021

Performing the payroll function is the easiest and best function. It has been simple to learn overall (with a few exceptions). Those items I had issues with the support team was great in assisting me directly (usually the chat function).

Pros

Ease of performing payroll functions that are beyond my capabilities. Enter all the data and it runs appropriately, collects the taxes, and keeps us legal and current on tax liabilities. These are all functions that would take significantly more time to accomplish without Patriot (and I would be uncertain if they were done correctly).

Cons

Several of the tools are difficult to use/understand how best to use such as the PTO/holiday accrual system, paycheck withdrawals, etc. I did figure out how to use them, but once I did, there were "orphan rules" I no longer needed/wanted and no way to delete them (and no way to make them do what I needed, which is why they were abandoned).
The other issue I have had is the way PTO works (rules are limited and I need to make too many manual adjustments). Also, the turnover from 2020 to 2021 was challenging. I had to complete payroll yesterday (1/4/21) before COB and the Patriot Software had a glitch (per my conversation with one of the Patriot representatives) and we were not the only affected company. I did manage to push payroll through, but rather than 30 - 40 minutes running payroll, I spent most of the day. Fixing issues, answering employee questions, etc.
On the timecard, I would like to be able to simply and easily enter 100 or more charging categories for projects. I'm looking for a new solution because there isn't really a simple way to administer that type of requirement in the timecard system

Taylor W.

Overall please with our switch from Quickbooks to Patriot

Reviewed on 6/1/2021

Overall we have had a great experience with patriot, we had quite a few issues with the transition over (mainly due to the fact we made the switch in the 4th Qtr of 2019 so there was a ton of data to be entered). Because of the amount of data and timing we have had several issues with our tax filing from 2019- but what I love the most about patriot is that they are the most accessible help line that I have ever came across in the business world, you rarely wait on hold for longer than 10 minutes and it has never taken them longer than a few hours to respond to emails- making problem resolutions very quick.

Pros

I love how organized it keeps all of our data and the ability to send our hourly time clocks straight to the payroll.

Cons

I wish that you could hide inactive employees from the reports drop downs, and wish that you could create groups within the reports so that you dont have to hunt and peck for certain employees when running reports. I also wish that there was a way for the managers to view hourly time clocks without needing access to the main admin account.

Square Payments and Gusto

Reasons for Choosing Patriot Payroll

For us we had the desk top version of QuickBooks and it was starting to crash, so I had to call their help line (which was a terrible experience every time, I always got bounced around about 4 times before ending up on the phone with someone who could actually help) . We were eventually told that we used to much data and would need to upgrade to a plan that was $600 a month ( we are a small company with only 12 employees, so to us that just felt like we were being taken advantage of). I got on line and researched alternative's and patriot was the one that we found most appealing- and previously we were paying more for QuickBooks and had to file our own taxes (which resulted in quite a bit of stress and uncertainty). Overall patriot seemed like a much more reasonable, and better option for our company than QuickBooks

Reasons for Switching to Patriot Payroll

When doing research we found the patriot interface more appealing, and the way that it layed out its features made it stand out as the best solution.
Steve S.
  • Industry: Business Supplies & Equipment
  • Used for 2+ years

Patriot Payroll, Perfect for small business's

Reviewed on 5/1/2021

Anyting you need to do for payroll, taxes, tax filing, W2's etc, it's all there. At the end of the year, print out your payroll and tax papers, give them to your tax preparer and your done. Literally in 10 minutes (including print time) your paperwork is done. They do it all for you!

Pros

When joining Patriot Payroll, I was sceptical about the cost and functionality. I have used 3 "big name" companies, and was always in disagreement about their products, pricing and what they actually did. When you need payroll, it was one cost, then if you needed reports, tax payments, and many other things, the costs just kept going up. Those costs avergaed $150 a month. Now I see why they are multi million dollar companies. As a small business owner, the bottom line is very thin and we always have to be aware in the cost for any service. When I started Patriot Payroll, I was eager to see if they in fact were a true value company, and in the first 6 months, it paid for itself. I am super happy as a customer.

For one low price, they help you set-up your employee base, salaries or hourly wages, tax numbers, unemployment taxes and more. When you run a payroll, it really only takes me 3 minutes to complete one. Then when the taxes are paid, Patriot also does that and more. They process and send out my quarterly papers and pay all my taxes after linking to my bank. If you need any reports, they are at your fingertips. No longer paying another company extra when you need to get a duplicate employee payroll report. If your stuck and have no where to go, you call their customer service line or email them and within minutes you have your answer.

I have referred many people to this company and for good reason. They are great! The name says it all. Patriot.

Cons

None that I can think of, and after many years of using, that's awesome!

Diana C.
  • Used for 6-12 months

Accessible staff to help you get up & running/for ongoing support & very EASY to use.

Reviewed on 24/9/2020

I lost my payroll person when covid hit. I was stressed about this because finding anyone to take on more business when lockdown happened wasn't going to happen. Something about that virus caused a vast majority of people to stop working altogether, so it was a stressful time for me. Patriot software personnel did not stop working though. They were right there to ease that stress and keep my business up and running. They have been a blessing to me, and to my staff who have not stopped working.

Had they not been there I probably would have closed since I find it very important for my payroll to be accurate. I can run payroll by hand in a pinch but I am not a bookkeeper so it's stressful and risky to do so. Especially with all of the changes with sick pay enacted. I would never have figured that out properly.

This company is top of the line. They have the olden days touch of personal help, (I miss that so it's refreshing), with modern technology to keep things up to date. They saved this company, and I'll stay with them for as long as I'm in business if they will keep me:-)

Pros

Biggest thing initially - someone was there when I called to ask for help (when setting up one may have a question or two).

When they answer they sound like they are right there with me, and are friendly and patient. Just amazing customer support, which tells me quarterlies & all other data will be accurate when it's submitted (they seem to really care). I love that all of my data is filed within their system as well. Very easy to use. It takes me less than 5 minutes to do payroll from inputting hours to printing out check registers. It does the hard work for you, so you can tend to the business you're running.

Cons

It's difficult to think of something negative because everything a business owner wants is there. If something has been challenging to me, (not experienced in payroll), I just call them up. My advice is to know what your State unemployment rate is when setting it up since this can be different for everyone, and know they are there if one gets confused.

Timothy B.
  • Industry: Nonprofit Organisation Management

Extremely easy to use - Excellent US-based support

Reviewed on 11/3/2020

Pros

I absolutely love how responsive Patriot's support is and it's US-based, which is a huge plus because of alternative language barriers or time zone issues. They offer phone, email and/or chat support with low to no wait times. I love how self-explanatory things are - it's easy to 'find' what you're trying to do in most cases, without enlisting the help of Support. Definitely saves me time and money versus using an overpriced and under-delivering PEO, that's for sure.

Cons

Patriot does not yet offer the ability to break employees out by department, which is particularly useful for reporting purposes, when entering info into accounting software such as QBO, etc. While I'm told they're working on this functionality, it's been 9 months since I was told this and am still not hearing updates on progress in rolling this out. But we have since come up with a feasible workaround and realize no single solution will do 100% of what you're needing, in almost any case. So it's not impacting our workflow in an overall negative way, it'd just be nice to have this when it rolls out.

Reasons for Choosing Patriot Payroll

Overpriced PEO services didn't fit our model anymore. We can easily run payroll and manage HR functions in-house, with Patriot.

Price and support
Kristen B.

Patriot Software

Reviewed on 18/11/2019

Customer Service is great . It's not always intuitive with where to find things, but over the year + we've used it they've made a few great improvments (like multi hour wages, and pto tracking).

Pros

We use Patriot Software in a wide variety of industries (restaurant, retail, day care, and more). I love how I can set it up for a client, and show them briefly how to run their own payroll. Very easy for simply payrolls.

Cons

My biggest pet peeve is the inflexibility of making tax adjustments. For Example: a restaurant where they pay out tips each night means that a check would be for sever hours only, usually about $40 for the week. The tips justify enough taxes that they end up with a negative paycheck. In any other system I can manually adjust the taxes held to get the check to zero or close. (the server ends up owing money at the end of the year). With PS, I have to come up with other options for getting the paycheck to zero (like getting the business to cover the taxes in the meantime).

Reasons for Choosing Patriot Payroll

We wanted to automate the tax collection to improve cash flow for some clients.

Price point.
Tony B.
  • Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

Patriot Payroll has great customer service and is easy to use!!

Reviewed on 16/2/2018

This is a very user-friendly and inexpensive way to get payroll done. This software has saved our company a lot of time and money. I would recommend this product to small and medium-size companies.

Pros

The customer support is very effective and made Implementation process very smooth. The process for logging employee hours and applying deductions are very easy to understand and straightforward. This product has a very user-friendly UI that is clean and very intuitive, this makes reporting very flexible. This is a cost effective solution for small companies as long as you do not need extensive job costing integration into an accounting system.

Cons

The direct deposit functionality is very restrictive at times and they require that the payroll is processed by Monday for it to be distributed to the employee's account on Friday. Patriot Payroll does use ADP as a third party to do the direct deposits. This doesn't really work well with our paperless environment. After you have entered hours you can not go back and correct any mistakes you may have made on a payroll deduction. This is frustrating at times. You have to delete the entire payroll, edit the deduction and then re-enter the payroll. This makes the software feel very clunky, an alternative would be to approve the payroll void the incorrect check and then re-run another payroll.

Response from Michele

Tony, as of December 2018, we no longer use a third party to manage direct deposit. Everything is seamless and in our software. Did you know that if you are paying your employees by direct deposit, and have set them up with the free employee portal, no printing is necessary on your end? Employees can log in to their employee portal and download paystubs from their if needed, making your payroll paperless. :)