Patriot Payroll

4.8 (2,723)
Patriot Software helps you keep your time and money!

(2,723)

2723 Software options

Chris D.
  • Industry: Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing
  • Used for 1-5 months

Get a real company to do your payroll

Reviewed on 3/5/2017

Pros

It is very inexpensive and takes on clients that have very few employees. Customer service reps are EXTREMELY HELPFUL, polite, and very knowledgeable of the program abilities and shortfalls.

Cons

You can cancel ANYTIME, but then you have to send all the State/Government taxes collect to their respective agencies with the appropriate paperwork. Patriot sends all the taxes back to you to deal with. Some taxes are due annually, due the end of January, so if you want Patriot to file it, you have to keep the subscription until that date. Nickel and diming. If you want them to track sick days, accumulated vacation days etc, it is included. If you want your employees to be able to track it through the online portal, that will cost you additional per month. Check out the list of add-ons to determine what is important to you.
They offer QuickBooks import of data, but I have yet to see how anything matches anything on the bank statement. Like taxes are deducted from payroll, they show in a different month than the payroll, and the payroll imports as the gross amount which is not the amount sent to the employee by NatPay. If you use a dummy account in your accounting software (QuickBooks) to run all the payroll functions through, this will not bother you and your accountant will made the journal entry additional adjustments. I could not get my first payroll to reconcile, and it was determined that Patriot made an error and did not collect $ 3.60 in taxes somewhere. I am going with when the taxes were going to be sent to the agency, the error would have been found and corrected (depending on the tax agency, some are sent monthly, some quarterly, some annually.) The next payrolls were done correctly.
NatPay is a 3rd party vendor that facilitates the employee direct deposit. If you enter a payroll incorrectly and want to cancel, even seconds later, Patriot says it is canceled, but you have to CALL NATPAY otherwise it goes through. Be sure to not miss the pop-up warning. I was advised they are working on a better solution to make sure it is clear what to do in order to cancel a mistake payroll that was submitted.
The site is not all that easy to navigate. There are report and default options that may not be easy to locate how to set. Strongly suggest that you contact customer services and they will walk you quickly through the process.
I have worked with 4 different Payroll service companies over the last couple of years. They are not all the same, they each have strengths and weaknesses and wide range of costs. From what I can tell, they all do the payroll functions of collecting and distributing employee payments and taxes correctly. The big difference, besides costs, is what they include in the base price, and if/how they enter this information into your accounting system like QuickBooks. With any payroll service, you always have the option to enter it manually into your system from the paystubs which ensure it is entered how you want it.

Response from Michele

I'd like to take the opportunity to clarify some of your misgivings about Patriot:
1. You are correct, you can cancel anytime. If you do cancel, we do give you any money back we have collected so that you can make your filings yourself. If you want Patriot to file, for you, (we'd be happy to), you just need to cancel after the filings have been made.

2. You do not get charged to keep track of sick days or vacation days. There is a free feature in the software called "Manage Time Off".

3. Next pay periods DO automatically populate. This was a feature we added last year.

4. All payroll reports are under the Payroll tab under "Reports". We have an excellent "Payroll Details Report" where you can adjust dates and select specific employees and/or taxes to view. These can be grouped in a variety of ways: check, employee, paydate, totals

5. Once you run a payroll, a file is instantly sent to Natpay. If you void the payroll, you are correct, you will want to call Natpay and make sure the file has been canceled. Because this is a third party vendor who handles direct deposit, we can't control how their system works after the file is sent, unfortunately. We do give warning in the system to remind you. (We want to be sure your employees are only paid once.)

6. Our QB export only sends by pay date, not pay period.

7. We appreciate that we can make our navigation easier, and our UX team is on it!

I'm having a customer support rep reach out to you to help you with these things. We are here for you, Chris. We want you to be among the thousands of satisfied customers Patriot serves every day!

Randall F.
  • Industry: Design

Reviewed on 15/1/2021

Pros

Product is well designed with excellent explanations for non-accounting professionals.
Turn key approach with government tax filings is super easy.

Cons

Integration between payroll and external accounting software like QuickBooks could be even easier. There are a few steps required.

Vanessa D.
  • Industry: Accounting

Words from a professional user

Reviewed on 8/6/2021

My overall experience with Patriot software has been great.

Pros

When I joined Patriot as an affinity partner, the software discounts were too good to ignore, especially from a company who offered equal functionality as other top providers in the market. My favorite feature about Patriot Software is the 100% automated payroll tax filing and payments. Other software companies that I have used claimed full automation, but there would inevitably end up being at least one or two tasks that had to be completed manually, which was frustrating. Patriot lived up to and continues to satisfy its promise.

Cons

My least favorite thing about Patriot software is that credit card accounts have to be set up as negative asset accounts versus liabilities, as Patriot (at least at the time of my first company's onboarding) did not accommodate positive liabilities.

Luke G.

Great Product For Accountant Users & Business Owners

Reviewed on 8/1/2021

Overall a great experience and will continue to use in the future. It gets the job done and it definitely feels like the company continues to grow and expand the product, always in positive directions.

Pros

Pleasant to look at and navigate the UI; has an intuitive design that usually allows one to figure things out quickly; the reports are top notch; and integrates with QBO & XERO. Also, the Advisor program for accountants is intriguing and definitely a plus, though I haven't capitalized on that quite yet.

Cons

At times, certain functions and the design seem basic and possibly below par than the competition in terms of features and additional (though not essential) tools or options. But I'm ok with this since the product does everything I need it to do.

QuickBooks Payroll, Gusto and OnPay

Reasons for Choosing Patriot Payroll

Price/cost and the negative corporate vibes displayed by Intuit.

Reasons for Switching to Patriot Payroll

Similar to above- Price/cost and the negative corporate vibes displayed by Intuit.
Jennifer M.

Best Customer Service!

Reviewed on 13/1/2021

Patriot provides a low-cost comprehensive payroll program that offers many of the features and benefits found in higher priced software. The customer service and support I have received when contacting the company is the best of any software we use.

Pros

Patriot is an easy to use, basic payroll program that allows the user to customize many aspects of their payroll processing. The customer service and support at Patriot are top notch!

Cons

I would appreciate more comprehensive reporting and the ability to somewhat customize report layouts to present the relevant information for the end user.

RUN Powered by ADP, Gusto and Paycom

Reasons for Choosing Patriot Payroll

Xero phased out US payroll.

Xero

Reasons for Switching to Patriot Payroll

Patriot offered the lowest cost solution for our needs with all of the features. I called and spoke with a representative from each company prior to implementing set-up and was impressed with the representative from Patriot compared with the other companies.
Geoffrey F.
  • Industry: Environmental Services

Kicks Qickbooks aside for the value

Reviewed on 19/5/2020

It has been great , and the value and ease of access are phenomenal.

Pros

First of all, very affordable. Next, it is very easy to run payroll, the dates are already selected. I just put in the number of hours and download the pay stubs. The reports are very easy to use as well and come in extremely handy when paying taxes, especially at the end of the year!

Cons

I was going to say nothing until recently. A new employee started and she is working low hours however the software was not taking out a federal income tax for her. I realize that is a precaution against someone not being liable if they do not make enough, but it is a problem when the company owes monthly federal payments and the system does not accept a $0.00 when the obvious other taxes are being paid. I'm actually going to have to call customer service soon...

Response from Patriot Software

Hi Geoffrey. The software will calculate federal withholding based on the IRS tax tables for this year using payrate, pay frequency and status. If the employee owes no federal taxes due to low income on a payroll, the software will report the taxable wages AND the amount of taxes that were collected and deposited. In this case the taxes would be reported as zero. Please do reach out to our helpful support team with any questions!

Cameron A.
  • Industry: Events Services

Easy to use and accurate

Reviewed on 5/1/2021

Pros

Payroll is easy. It takes just a few minutes and there are no hassles.

Cons

If you start a payroll, you can't go back and edit employee information without cancelling the payroll and starting over. Also, if you have some employees on direct deposit and others on paper checks, you have to set the pay date based on the constraints of direct deposit. You can't submit the direct deposit for Friday payment, and allow paper check employees to pick-up their checks as soon as they are printed. The checks will be post-dated.

Paychex Flex

Reasons for Choosing Patriot Payroll

Better full service payroll system

Quickbooks Online

Reasons for Switching to Patriot Payroll

Patriot was cheaper than the other options at the time, but the price has increased since then so it is now slightly higher, but the ease of use made us decide that it was worth the little bit more we are paying.
Lynne H.

Love Patriot

Reviewed on 18/5/2020

Overall, we are very pleased with Patriot Payroll. We moved from Quickbooks Payroll in 2018 and for the most part, it is great. Every now and then, we have something that comes up that is out of the ordinary, BUT Patriot is always able to work it out for us, other than the coding of taxes to more than one week.
The reports are very self explanatory and very useful.

Pros

We like the ease of use of Patriot. We are a very small office, with only 9 employees and our payroll is basically the same every week, with the exception of hours changing, We have 2 salary employees and everyone else is hourly.

Cons

We wish there a way to code a specific payroll for a person that is a large item, like a commission so that the software would tax it for more than one week. The commission may be for more than one week, so it would be great it there was a way to specify to tax it for say 4 weeks. When I used ADP at a previous employer, they had that option and it was great.

Claire C.

I LOVE PATRIOT PAYROLL!!!

Reviewed on 11/1/2021

I love this software- it is clean, simple and very professional in the way it keeps up with tax and accounting laws. I love the COVID-19 features recently added- a good example of how invested Patriot is to making our work easy!

Pros

As a small business owner, I love having a comprehensive payroll system that not only accurately manages payroll for my team, but it "helps" me to follow laws (that constantly change) by having accurate data structures and helpful "tips" embedded right into the GUI.

Cons

Pulling reports is not as intuitive as it could be. My accountant can probably manage fine, but I am not a fiscal expert. It would be great to be able to pull reports that were labeled for non-financial users.

My accountant recommended Patriot

My accountant recommended Patriot
Chris S.
  • Used for 1+ year

Payroll review

Reviewed on 18/1/2021

i doing my own books so i kinda am doing double the work. they are usually checking my mistakes,
I love the ease and reliability. i think i am going to stop doing my own payroll books and just have theirs.
Love this product

Pros

Simple once you understand the basics.
able to change things easily if something comes up.
For learning how to do my own books, this software was easy
online chatting works real well. having to call and talk to someone also has been a nice experience
Everyone likes to do things their way or have their own categories, this software lets you see what you want.

Cons

No real cons, when i have had a problem it is usually me, the online chatting works well.
one time i did not get the problem figured out but i called back/ new session and the new person
answered fixed my problem real quick. so getting the right person does help

Zoho Social, Quickbooks Online, monday.com and NetSuite

Reasons for Switching to Patriot Payroll

Patriot seamed to work well for my small company, i do not need a bunch of bells and whistles. fairly priced un like some of the other competitors for what i needed I am planning to upgrade to preferred payroll, to save me time and risk of mis adding numbers
Carolyn B.

Love Patriot Software

Reviewed on 5/1/2021

The Full Service Payroll has given my clients peace of mind that the payroll taxes are paid and forms filed in a timely manner. I have been able to leave town and still see to my clients needs.

Pros

I like the convenience of having my payroll in the cloud and accessible from anywhere. I was looking for a cloud based option when I heard about Patriot. I have a bookkeeping service and process payroll for 6 clients and have recommended it to 2 other clients who process the payroll on their own. I am able to process payroll when out of town or where ever I might be. I was able to move a client over when they added the Vendor payment option.

Cons

I wish there were more report options. I have been able to get all the information I have needed but not always the easiest to figure out.

Mark W.
  • Industry: Restaurants

100% reliable, just a bit tricky to figure out reports

Reviewed on 11/1/2021

It's overall a great experience. Not perfect, but nearly ideal.

Pros

I used to use Intuit QB's payroll service until they increased the price. So glad they did - Patriot Pay is FAR better. They take care of ALL federal and state paperwork behind the scenes. QB used to make you print and mail that in yourself! Payroll entry itself is SO fast...

Cons

Reports are comprehensive, just hard to find. "Filings" and "reports" seem to have crossover meanings. And exporting the info back to QB is a pain - requires setting up generation of the correct accounts, which they could have made more automatic. And the splits aren't the same as in QB, as far as getting fed/state/workers comp data. It doesn't matter unless you're doing a year-end search for differences among your bank checkbook, QB, and Patriot Pay, where a mismatched amount takes hours to decipher.

Meghan Z.
  • Used Weekly for Free Trial

New Customer - Very Pleased

Reviewed on 6/1/2021

Patriot's services of handling processing payroll via direct deposit, as well as managing taxes is a huge weight off our shoulders. It increases productivity elsewhere in the company when payroll is completely handled elsewhere for such an affordable fee.

Pros

As we are new to using Patriot, I want to point out the ease of setting the company up and inputting employees. It is incredibly user friendly and we have had zero usability hassles or questions. Very pleased with the process.

Cons

We have not experienced any issues thus far.

Paychex Flex

Reasons for Choosing Patriot Payroll

Quickbooks Enterprise has so many glitches and caused weekly frustrations. Additionally, their system was supposed to be handling our tax payments correctly, but we received at $13000(!!) tax credit from the IRS for an overpayment in Q3. This was the final straw.

Reasons for Switching to Patriot Payroll

Word of mouth complaints about Paychex swayed me away.
Marshall M.

A low-cost Payroll service

Reviewed on 6/7/2018

Pros

It's one of the lower cost full-service payroll providers out there, and it has an attractive feel, and will appeal to business owners who are not full-time HR professionals.

The dashboard is straightforward, decently uncluttered, and shows useful information at a glance, with the ability to quickly dive into more information as necessary.

Running payroll is also relatively easy once everything is set up, and with full-service payroll, they will take care of all filings as well which is nice.

The service is pay as you go, cancel anytime without penalty.

Cons

Running a payroll is a manual process, and when entering hours there doesn't seem to be a method for uploading a spreadsheet or any import process. For some businesses with many employees this would be tedious, unless you use their time tracking service as well (at an additional fee).

They offer additional services, which may appeal to some businesses, such as accounting, but unfortunately they leave those menus intact regardless of if you have the product or not. The result was that as I learned the product, I often found myself on screens that unhelpfully said I don't have a subscription for this. In my opinion those options are cluttering up space, I don't need a constant reminder for a service I don't need. The only reason it is there is for gratuitous upsell, which doesn't help user experience.

The biggest con for me, and the reason I ultimately chose another service, is the setup process. While I'd imagine it wasn't necessary difficult, it was overly complex, and involved printing documents, scanning, initialing, and steps other services don't require (or simplify) for setting up services such as Direct Deposit.

Working with customer support felt like talking to a robot, not a human, who stood behind her curtain of company policies and couldn't engage in real conversation or sympathy for a frustrated customer. In 2018, we have enough robots to talk to, when we speak to a human they should really sound like one.

Shanna Q.

EOB Chooses Patriot

Reviewed on 12/1/2021

Been pretty good so far and when I've had an issue, customer service has been very helpful.

Pros

The best thing, to start with, when choosing to move several clients to Patriot was the affordability. I could add services or not add services to the existing payroll package.

Cons

The turn around time for direct deposit is lengthy and is the reason why I haven't moved the remaining clients over. Would be nice to have the option to pay a bit more for a quicker turn around on the direct deposit. The pre-paid option is just not something any of my clients like.

Melissa K.
  • Industry: Accounting

Time saver and headache reducer

Reviewed on 15/1/2021

Patriot has been a huge help for my personal business as well as my clients. I am constantly recommending Patriot and explaining how easy it is to use. I enter everything in one time and then they handle everything else. The time I save by not having to worry about tax deadlines and due dates has helped me to be able to focus on the needs of my business and not lose valuable work time.

Pros

Patriot is extremely easy to use and notifies me of any upcoming payroll date changes that may be needed due to holidays.

Cons

The only thing that I can think of at this time would be to be able to switch Direct Deposit off and on from the payroll screen. This would make it easier when a payroll is affected by a holiday and a written check must be done for employees.

William R.

What a life saver

Reviewed on 16/3/2017

Even with the check printing challenges, I love the service. Nothing is perfect. We have been with Patriot for over a year now and our experience has been very consistent. We moved from another payroll service that cost about the same but did far less and had issues several times a year. I feel Patriot Software is fair. Most of the time when companies of multi service options as "piece meal" solution, the company does this in order to maximize the appearance of low cost. With Patriot, it is not the case, in my opinion it is to allow business owners to pick what their company needs.

Pros

Easy to use web interface and good help functions if you need them. Quick service if you have questions with their chat help feature. Very knowledgeable staff every time I have spoken to them. Patriot offers many options to pick from in order to meet each business needs. System just works without issues. If you choose, they will file all of your forms for you and I think it is well worth it. The employee portal is a great tool that allows employees to access their information at any time without using any man hours.

Cons

The printing of checks is the biggest issue we have found. It does print well once you setup. Printer setup is a bit challenging. The second part of the check printing issue is when you print on check voucher laser checks, no matter how you setup, it really does not print info in the right areas. Also unsure why you have to enter a check number on the "print payroll" page in order to download the file to print check with. Check numbers are already printed on the checks.

Stephanie R.
  • Industry: Law Practice

Perfect for Small Business

Reviewed on 12/1/2021

Great Service and Great quality for the money.

Pros

Easy process to get started and it worked for me just as well with one employee as it does now with 8. It has been easy to grow with software and the online help function handles even some normally difficult questions on how to allocate distributions and contributions all without a full time HR or bookkeeper in house.

Cons

It has no quick void function that I have found. Like most busy business people, I get things put in and soon as it is done, it alters the debits that it is going to make for taxes etc. on the software side. Sometimes so fast that if I need to make a change, I have to void the entire payroll and redo it. A slight delay between scheduling to pull the money out and the time that payroll is submitted would be helpful.

Christopher C.

Overall product summart

Reviewed on 12/1/2021

Overall experience has been very good. I would give them 5 stars all the way across except for the check printing issue.

Pros

The software is very easy to set up. I am not an accounting or it major, but the software allows a normal business owner to set up the company and employees very easily. Patriot's customer service is top notch. Always able to get a person on the other end that is knowledgeable or will get someone with specific skills to assist.

Cons

Main missing feature is the ability to print checks on a standard 3 part check. This is typical in business and I cannot understand that why this feature would be so difficult to add.
Only other issue is payroll timing. If Monday happens to fall on a holiday, payroll needs to be run the Friday prior. If you are still logging hours on Friday prior to their end of day pacific time checks do not get cut the following Friday unless you opt for the prefund option.

Linda W.

Outstanding Product

Reviewed on 25/2/2020

Patriot has saved me hours each payroll and at quarterly tax time. I would choose this service over and over again.

Pros

Ease of set up for myself, as well as my employees.

Cons

The new color of the website. That is it. Everything else is great. The color is really fine too, I just am not very accepting of change in the beginning. :)

Wave Accounting

Price/Time

None

Response from Patriot Software

Thank you Linda! We love it when customers say they would choose Patriot again if given a choice. :)

Dina L.
  • Industry: Machinery

Best customer service

Reviewed on 6/1/2021

Excellent!

Pros

Patriot Software has the best customer service I have ever had personally and professionally! I have had the pleasure of speaking to about twenty different employees over the years, and it doesn’t matter who you get; they all provide the best customer service. They are knowledgeable, helpful, patient, and kind! They are very well-trained. They would be a good example for the rest of our world to follow.

Cons

There was really nothing I didn’t like about it.

Carol F.
  • Industry: Nonprofit Organisation Management

Small Non-profit loves Patriot Payroll

Reviewed on 8/5/2020

Patriot Payroll is reliable and everything gets handled in a timely manner. We switched from using a local (rather grumpy) accountant. Being a small non-profit, we were definitely not a priority. It took at least a month to get reports back and we would be charged for every extra thing we asked for. My stress level has dropped significantly!

Pros

It is easy to use and was easy to set up. The support staff at Patriot Payroll were awesome. It is flexible so we can add bonuses, have salary and hourly employees. The tax filings are handled automatically which is super helpful - I don't have to stress about them at all. There is excellent communication particularly about bank holidays. The reports embedded in the system are readily available and customizable which was super helpful when I was filling out the forms for SBA PPP money - I didn't have to wait on someone to prepare the reports for me.

Cons

This product totally meets our payroll needs.

Mike F.
  • Industry: Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing

Saves so much time, and I always recommend it!

Reviewed on 4/6/2020

I've saved so much money and time with Patriot, thank you for this product!

Pros

I was paying over $300/mo for a full service payroll for myself + 3 employees to a CPA. I now pay under $40/month for full service payroll with Patriot, and their software is a joy to use. Running a quick payroll, and handling bonuses, benefits, and deductions is so straight forward. The setup and support team is easy to access, quick to answer, and in the US!

Cons

Just because I like to have all of the information, as a feature suggestion, it would be nice to have a tax portal to see my balances and standing all of the state/federal tax accounts.

ZipBooks and QuickBooks Payroll

Reasons for Switching to Patriot Payroll

Price and features. Intuit is so heavy and invasive, and more expensive. Some of the other small startups were buggy and did not have the features I need.
Katherine K.
  • Used for 2+ years

Great Service, Easy to Use!!!

Reviewed on 12/1/2021

Payroll and paying payroll taxes were my primary concern. I have found Patriot Payroll is efficient, cost effective and easy to use.

Pros

I was looking for a payroll service that I could use at anytime of the day. We are a seasonal business. When we are in season we work long hours and many days straight. I usually run payroll very late at night and Patriot Payroll is easy to use. Our payroll taxes are paid on time, payroll is created within minutes and I can sleep knowing our payroll is done and done correctly!

Cons

I would like to see more user created reports for special requests.

Alicia R.
  • Industry: Mental Health Care

Pretty great but missing features

Reviewed on 13/1/2021

Overall it's good software. The timesheets are a little clunky and there are gapping features missing. Despite the downsides, it makes filing taxes easy and provides a space for employees to submit their hours.

Pros

I loved that Patriot does all the tax management, including sending the fees straight to the governmental institutions. It certainly has made hiring employees feel less daunting. I also appreciate the self-services portal for my employees which allows me to be less involved. The help topics are mostly helpful as well.

Cons

My biggest complaint about the software is the lack of support in non-timesheet payroll. As a mental health practice, my employees don't clock in/out and they are paid different rates for direct contact and administrative work. When I initially invested in Patriot in April 2020, I was told that this feature was available. After purchasing, I was informed that that feature is about to come out but isn't available now. It is still not available and my employees have to complete the "other" tab; then I have to move numbers between the columns so that they are paid out at the right rate. This is frustrating and makes the process timely and less dependable.