2,644 reviews

Patriot Payroll

Patriot Software helps you keep your time and money!

4.8 /5 (2644 reviews) Write a Review!

2,644 reviews
Phil L.
  • Industry: Nonprofit Organisation Management

Most pleased... intuitive and easy to use

Reviewed on 11/1/2021

Exceptional. Easy to use. Quick response on questions.

Pros

Intuitive, flexible, suits all my needs, takes care of the IRS, W2s, 1099... I love it.. Would cost me four times as much to even think about having a bookkeeper do this for me.. Excellent for small non-profit and for entrepreneurs.

Cons

Not really any. Took a little time to set up, but that is expected.

Kristen B.

Patriot Software

Reviewed on 18/11/2019

Customer Service is great . It's not always intuitive with where to find things, but over the year + we've used it they've made a few great improvments (like multi hour wages, and pto tracking).

Pros

We use Patriot Software in a wide variety of industries (restaurant, retail, day care, and more). I love how I can set it up for a client, and show them briefly how to run their own payroll. Very easy for simply payrolls.

Cons

My biggest pet peeve is the inflexibility of making tax adjustments. For Example: a restaurant where they pay out tips each night means that a check would be for sever hours only, usually about $40 for the week. The tips justify enough taxes that they end up with a negative paycheck. In any other system I can manually adjust the taxes held to get the check to zero or close. (the server ends up owing money at the end of the year). With PS, I have to come up with other options for getting the paycheck to zero (like getting the business to cover the taxes in the meantime).

Tony B.
  • Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

Patriot Payroll has great customer service and is easy to use!!

Reviewed on 16/2/2018

This is a very user-friendly and inexpensive way to get payroll done. This software has saved our company a lot of time and money. I would recommend this product to small and medium-size companies.

Pros

The customer support is very effective and made Implementation process very smooth. The process for logging employee hours and applying deductions are very easy to understand and straightforward. This product has a very user-friendly UI that is clean and very intuitive, this makes reporting very flexible. This is a cost effective solution for small companies as long as you do not need extensive job costing integration into an accounting system.

Cons

The direct deposit functionality is very restrictive at times and they require that the payroll is processed by Monday for it to be distributed to the employee's account on Friday. Patriot Payroll does use ADP as a third party to do the direct deposits. This doesn't really work well with our paperless environment. After you have entered hours you can not go back and correct any mistakes you may have made on a payroll deduction. This is frustrating at times. You have to delete the entire payroll, edit the deduction and then re-enter the payroll. This makes the software feel very clunky, an alternative would be to approve the payroll void the incorrect check and then re-run another payroll.

Response from Michele

Tony, as of December 2018, we no longer use a third party to manage direct deposit. Everything is seamless and in our software. Did you know that if you are paying your employees by direct deposit, and have set them up with the free employee portal, no printing is necessary on your end? Employees can log in to their employee portal and download paystubs from their if needed, making your payroll paperless. :)

Karen F.
  • Industry: Medical Practice

Best Business Decision!

Reviewed on 14/1/2021

EXCELLENT COMPANY! I LOVE this company! I only wish other businesses were as easy and user friendly as Patriot!

Pros

I do not have a business degree but I have my own medical practice. I used other companies for payroll and they repeated made mistakes and were expensive. I switched to Patriot 2 years ago and have been so happy about my choice! The staff was very helpful getting set up and once I was set up, it is so easy to use! I would never return to the big companies! I recommend Patriot to all of my colleagues!

Cons

The ONLY con is that it takes 5 business days to get the payroll done, so if there is a holiday and we forget it falls in the middle of the week, I end up having to hand write the payroll instead of direct deposit.

Scott D.

Payroll is best

Reviewed on 8/1/2021

Just finished our first year and have been really happy we made the change. Growing this portion of our business and we feel like we have a strong ally working with us.

Pros

Easy to use and set up. Customer service has been outstanding, we can get quick response to questions.

Cons

Some of the reports are a bit lacking. Minnesota need to file new hire reports, would be great if we could generate direct. Correcting or changing payroll in process need to cancel out, wish option was available to dial into tax to make changes.

James C.
  • Industry: Accounting

Best support you could ask for

Reviewed on 11/1/2021

I am so pleased with Patriot. I am very happy that I moved my practice from SAGE to Patriot and I try to tell anyone who will listen that Patriot is a superb product

Pros

The software is very user friendly. but in the even that there is an issue, I have reached out to customer support and received EXCELLENT support anytime it is needed

Cons

There are a few quirks that you have to learn but nothing major. And the setup process can be a little stressful at times

Paul L.

Saves so much time and has proved critical in 2020.

Reviewed on 13/1/2021

The software itself has worked flawlessly from my perspective. It's been nice saving a lot of time since we started using it at the start of 2020. The direct deposit feature is something we didn't have before, and that's been really nice.

Pros

We love being able to use direct deposit for our employees. Saves me time writing checks, and employees like it better. In 2020, it was so helpful having things automated for purposes of PPP loan forgiveness. It probably saved me 5-10 hours of work that would have had to be done otherwise. Also, the ease of generating W2s for 2020 was a great help. I no longer need to spend money on W2 forms and software every January. It is well worth the monthly fees, in my opinion.

Cons

I really can't think of any cons. I guess the only con would be having to pay for it monthly, but it is well worth the fees, and really I feel like it's a good value. I guess the only thing I would like to see is an easy way to show how many employees we had at any given pay period (for filing the 940 forms quarterly). I haven't seen how to do that in the reports section, so I just have to manually check the books and see how many checks I wrote for employees on any given pay period.

Dj W.

Easy to use and outstanding support

Reviewed on 8/5/2020

I replaced ADP with Patriot Software for a fraction of the cost and easier use. What I find best is the personal customer service both through chat and on the phone.

Pros

This product is intuitive and extremely easy to use to run payroll and find reports or information that I need. It has the exact features that I want without being overly complicated. I also appreciate the tax filing services and end of year reporting and filing for all my employees and 1099 subcontractors.

Cons

I find the PTO recording and reporting difficult, but I may just need more education.

Julie Q.

Review on Patriot Payroll

Reviewed on 11/1/2021

Overall a good product that just needs some enhancements

Pros

User friendly once it is set up. Cost is good also

Cons

Direct deposit lag time and export to QuickBooks a little time consuming to reconcile

Marsha B.

The only payroll product I recommend

Reviewed on 8/1/2021

Pros

As a bookkeeper working for multiple clients I have found that this is the most user friendly payroll system I have worked with. I appreciate that their customer service is always helpful and the wait times to speak with someone or do an online chat are very short. The set up is simple and employees appreciate have the portal to gain access to report their hours and access pay stubs and W2s.
Compared with other payroll providers Patriot Payroll is reasonably priced and makes it affordable to use full service taking the burden of payroll tax reporting off of staff.
This is the only payroll software I recommend.

Cons

I honestly have no complaints about this software. The few things that I disliked or felt were missing a few years ago when I first started using this product have all been addressed and improved.

Mike G.
  • Industry: Hospitality

Save substantially and do payroll on your time with ease and support when you need it.

Reviewed on 11/1/2021

Its been a great experience with patriot its so easy to use and what ever time i feel like doing payroll could be 2 am or 4 pm I get to it on my time frame support has always been very friendly nice people intelligent and easy to work with always helped me get my issues solved .

Pros

I can do payroll on my schedule from anywhere . Its easy to use after the initial set up everything is right there all you have to do is put the information in hours worked for each employee and that's it simple. I like the peace of mind knowing that all my payroll taxes are being withheld on my behalf and paid on time so i don't have t o about remembering when to send paperwork in or making a mistake. And lastly it save me money and that is an important factor the money I save is significant amount not just a drop in the bucket who wouldn't want to save money .

Cons

I wish the had a partner in retirement accounts so I could have that money simply taken out and set aside worry free for my retirement accounts i still have to do that separately

Peng L.

Great Software

Reviewed on 16/1/2021

So far, I haven't had any issues; the Customer Support has been great!

Pros

Price, Ease of Use, and the ability to white label.

Cons

Pricing for the product continues to increase each year.

Lake M.
  • Industry: Law Practice

Totally Happy Customer

Reviewed on 22/1/2021

Pros

It's easy to use. It balances having many features without being too convoluted. Plus, it's one of the most affordable payroll services. I also love that I can easily call the company and talk to a real person. QuickBooks integration is a plus, as well. I like that it's easy to add mileage and other reimbursements, as well as custom categories of wages or other reimbursements. It's also nice that there are employee portals where employees can easily access payroll information and change their direct deposit without payroll staff having to do anything. I would happily recommend Patriot to anyone, especially cost-conscious customers. I'm very happy with our choice to use Patriot.

Cons

Navigation through webpages and some of the reports could be a little easier, but it's not much of a problem.

Josiah C.

Great Value

Reviewed on 8/1/2021

Overall, 8/10. I tis hard to gripe with the value that Patriot provides.

Pros

Onboarding was painless and I was able to run a payroll within a few days. I've used Patriot Full-Service to help me scale my CPA practice. Customer service is always fast and responsive. I especially appreciate the fact I don't play phone tag with multiple departments. Can't say the same for Intuit.

Cons

The biggest complaint I have is the 4 banking day lead on direct deposits. If Monday is a Holiday and my client doesn't have the info ready, DD is usually pushed to Monday instead of Friday. We've had to write paper checks to compensate for this occurrence.

Diane L.
  • Industry: Mental Health Care

Great customer service

Reviewed on 8/1/2021

I love working with Patriot. Customer service is always there to answer my questions and help me fix my mistakes.

Pros

It is easy to use and feels accurate. I like that the employees can clock in and out on it.

Cons

I have employees that get paid by the piece it has been a little difficult to maneuver and I would like a better way to enter the info.

Rick P.
  • Used Other for 2+ years

It's a great SaaS for a payroll systems provider

Reviewed on 11/5/2020

I'm really glad that we found Patriot Software. When we needed a payroll solution, I did an online search and several names came up that specialize in payroll services for businesses of our size. After conducting some thorough research, Patriot Software came out on top based on services offered for the price, based on the size of our company. The only thing we had to lose (or gain) was a bad experience and since there was no contractual commitment, we went with Patriot and haven't looked back since. We're very pleased with getting all the things that matter to us: great customer service and a reliable and easy to use product at an affordable price.

Pros

The ease of use, the cost and the great customer service.

Cons

I honestly haven't encountered a real cons to note here. They give us everything we expect from them and pay for and we haven't encountered any hitches yet. Knock on wood.

Michelle D.
  • Industry: Legal Services

Professional Product at a great price

Reviewed on 22/1/2021

Excellent overall experience. I have had almost no issue and when I have had any questions or concerns they were always there to help me.

Pros

This product was the perfect fit for our company. Being a small family owned business cost containment is crucial and Patriot delivers on that front without sacrificing valuable tools and professional payroll delivery. They have all the necessary reporting features. I don't need to be concerned about timely filing with taxing agencies and can focus on being profitable.

Cons

My least favorite part was making the transition from my full service payroll company. I was fearful of making errors in the startup reporting. It does take some doing but is worth the effort and time spent. The customer service was very helpful and tried to make it as painless as possible.

Heather B.

Great service

Reviewed on 14/1/2021

Great service for everyday payroll and taxes

Pros

Does a great job keeping track of employees and all their tax needs as well as paying our monthly and quartet taxes. I love that we don’t have to worry about paying payroll taxes this system does it for us.

Cons

I wish it had better ways to manage commission associates, especially commissioned COVID pay.

Kelvin B.
  • Industry: Management Consulting

K. Baker Review for Payroll Software

Reviewed on 6/1/2021

Great and good product for our business.

Pros

Very Simple to Setup and Use. Customer Support is Excellent.

Cons

Unable to pay Salary Employees a percentage of their pay if they resigned or are terminated during a pay period.

Sara B.
  • Industry: Photography

Excellent value, dependable product

Reviewed on 7/1/2021

Overall, we're very happy with Patriot Payroll and would highly recommend.

Pros

It's easy to find the information you're looking for and run reports that may be needed. For our smaller business, it's been a great fit. We spend significantly less on these services as well, which is always helpful!

Cons

It seems that processing times are slower than if you're used to working with a company like ADP. For instance, if you need to make changes to your account, to payroll dates, etc, it is less flexible. Patriot needs more time. Usually this isn't a big deal but occasionally, it's a pain. Due to the nature of the how Patriot is set up, it's a bit harder to get questions answered when you have them. At times, it would be very helpful to talk to someone there directly vs. going through your agent.

Bert B.
  • Industry: Hospitality

It is that simple

Reviewed on 5/1/2021

Pros

The absolute ease of using this program. After start up it was a breeze. I believe in the start up process I needed to make one call to support-the rest was easy. I am not a very computer savvy person, but Patriot was a breeze.

Cons

The part I liked least about the software was I waited before I switched from Quickbooks payroll.

Lucy G.
  • Industry: Individual & Family Services

Time-saver, Easy to Use & Top-Notch Customer Service

Reviewed on 23/3/2020

Patriot Payroll has made the process of payroll less burdensome, for both our employees and us, as the employer. They offer an array of options and variations, allowing you to customize the program to best fit your needs and functions. I can't speak highly enough of their customer service - they are extremely quick to follow up with to needs/functions and to any issues at hand or questions in general.

Pros

How efficient and user-friendly it is. They make it particularly easy, when it comes to taxes and tax reports. We are able to handle a majority of our taxes on our own and save money with a lesser use for our tax accountant, thanks to the features offered in Patriot.

Cons

Really, none. The few features we have previously felt it lacked have now been integrated into the software.

Melanie F.
  • Industry: Primary/Secondary Education

I'm so glad I found Patriot

Reviewed on 13/1/2020

I needed a program that would do my payroll that I could afford. I was so thrilled to come across Patriot. With Patriot I do the time keeping and then just plug those numbers in. The payroll is figured for me and I can download and print professional paystubs and checks (plus tax documents) at no extra cost. It even tracks accrued and used time off to the minute and figures in contributions and deductions. I can also print reports and see/print my payroll history at and time, for one or all employees. You can extend the services and do overall accounting, but I just have the basic payroll plan. I did, however, take advantage of the workers compensation insurance that can be figured right from the figures in the payroll and deducted automatically. No more yearly audits and surprise balloon payments.

Pros

It is easy to use, even for people like me with few accounting skills. It is affordable. Plus they are always improving upon it and responding to customer needs.

Cons

The only issue I've had is that my time record is in minutes and the Patriot figures are in decimals. I have to convert each emplyee's time. I only have 6 employees so it's not a big deal, but I wish they gave the option to simply enter minutes.

Russell J.

Best Payroll software for small buisness owners

Reviewed on 12/2/2020

Patriot allows me to have more time to devote to other aspects of my business instead of worrying about payroll.

Pros

The functionality and cost. It works much better for a small business like mine with only 2 employees.

Cons

The UI was difficult to begin with. But, with the recent upgrades it is much better.

Shannon G.

Good Product, Would Recommend

Reviewed on 7/1/2021

Great company so far. No issues

Pros

This software is very easy to use especially if you are doing a smaller payroll. Great for access anywhere.

Cons

Really I haven't found much that I do not like. I don't utilize the full tax payroll, only the standard version and it is perfect for my needs. I guess the only down side is the PTO/Vacation function. You must manually enter each accrual increase each payroll before processing and if you forget it doesn't get added to paycheck. However that is a small issue.