QuickBooks Payroll

4.4/5
4.3/5

Melissa
  • Industry: Accounting

QBO Payroll is the easiest way to manage your small business payroll

Reviewed on 25/1/2019

If you are already a QBO user and have a small to medium work force this is the your best bet. It works within your existing QBO file, so no need for double entry and tax filing is an easy to follow step-by-step process.

Pros

No more double entry when you run payroll through your existing QBO file!

Cons

This might not be the right solution for larger companies who have greater HR needs then just cutting a paycheck each pay period, though it is not difficult to set up employee deductions for things like health care, retirement plans, etc.

Christian
  • Industry: Consumer Services
  • Company size: 5,001-10,000 Employees

Great payroll service

Reviewed on 1/12/2022

Pros

I like that i can do payroll myself and audit before submitting .

Cons

I don't have any it makes payroll easy and automatic.

Kimberly

Quickbooks Payroll don't be fooled

Reviewed on 29/12/2020

If you have a simple payroll this is not a terrible product. If you have employees in multiple states, I would not recommend.

Pros

The integration with Quickbooks online was a key factor. It is also very easy to use once the setup is complete.

Cons

The customer service is non-existent. I have a client that uses the full service payroll, and if there is an error where Quickbooks is at fault, it is impossible to ever get them to pay for the error, they will admit the responsibility, but they will not pay for the responsibility. The customer service is tiered so you never speak to a decision maker even when the error is a significant dollar amount. I had this issue in two cases. 1. Quickbooks processed a duplicate payroll costing my client $15,000+ and despite full documentation that they were responsible, they would not pay for the error. 2. I set up a new client on full service payroll with employees in the state of Nevada. QB did not support filing one of the taxes required for the state. They did not disclose this and admitted that they did not disclose at the beginning nor did they prompt the client to file the return when it came due. Quickbooks did take responsibility for the error by admitting it, but they would not take responsibility for the taxes and penalties.

Paychex Flex

Reasons for Switching to QuickBooks Payroll

Price and integration with accounting software.
Mindy

Accountant review of Quickbooks Payroll

Reviewed on 3/11/2022

Pros

Integrated well with Quickbooks online of course which was a perk.

Cons

No reporting services were provided. I did all of the quarterly reporting and 1099s and W2s still. Now our current provider does that for us.

Gusto

Reasons for Switching to QuickBooks Payroll

Actually I left Quickbooks payroll to go to Gusto.
Reka

Very User Friendly

Reviewed on 20/12/2022

Great overall experience if you only need basic payroll services.

Pros

My company uses Quickbooks payroll monthly for payroll administration, and it is so clear to employees where all their money is coming from. It has a clear diagram for each payroll of your total earnings, taxes breakdown, and total gross earnings, each payroll! It saves the hassle on so many employee financial questions, and is very helpful during tax season. It also sends a message regarding your payroll and breakdown BEFORE directly depositing in your bank account, which is highly beneficial for any mistake correction. Expenses are also very easy to send out.

Cons

Slightly expensive, original price $100 per month plus $5 per employee for the essentials plan. We use an external time tracking software, and there is no integration option for the basic plan. The mobile app version is much different than the desktop version, mobile app version lacks many features and is not that great.

Julia

Love the features

Reviewed on 8/12/2022

Pros

It has everything you need to prepare and file payroll taxes and issue payroll checks.

Cons

It is getting very pricey. The cost is becoming unbearable.

Maxine

QuickBooks payroll

Reviewed on 2/12/2022

Pros

Product is easy to use. Integration was easy too.

Cons

Can only track one type of sick or banked hours

George
  • Industry: Broadcast Media

Easy way to manage payroll

Reviewed on 1/12/2022

Pros

Full-featured payroll solution integrated with Quickbooks. Schedule direct deposits, pay employee expenses.

Cons

It takes a little bit to get it set up. Setup is spread out over other QuickBooks settings

Jan
  • Industry: Management Consulting

Quickbooks Payroll Takes Care of the Payroll So I Can Take Care of Sales

Reviewed on 13/1/2023

Prior to Quickbooks Payroll, I hated payroll and tax reporting. Now it is beyond simple and fast.

Pros

It cuts through the red tape and requirements of payroll and tax reporting. It made my biggest headache and time consumer go away.

Cons

For a small business like mine, it is a little pricey, but well-worth it.

Quickbooks is the way to go -

Reviewed on 6/12/2022

Pros

The ease of the website is very clear and in detail.

Cons

Honestly I don’t have anything bad to say.

Paul

Quickbooks Online Payroll

Reviewed on 26/3/2020

The software continues to be very efficient and provides ease of use. However, the confidence I have in customer service is what makes me stick with this software and not look elsewhere for an alternative.

Pros

Ease of implementation and constant guidance available from customer service to resolve any issue. Also the ability to access and run payroll from any device that can reach the internet provides so much productivity.

Cons

The Elite payroll service seems so restrictive. I cannot access many of the settings or execute many of the functions that I could through the Core payroll service. To change these settings I need to go through customer service, which was very confusing and frustrating during the implementation of the payroll service.

Michael

Excellent Software & Customer Service

Reviewed on 22/5/2020

I've switched from ADP to Quickbooks Payroll. I really enjoy having all of my businesses extremities implemented under one system. It's basically a one-size fits all. I am able to print my own payroll checks and vendor checks when I want and not have to wait for shipping. I enjoy having that flexibility. I also enjoy the fact that I can implement labor into my project management to see our profit/loss in real time. Excellent service overall.

Pros

Quickbooks online has made it incredibly easy for me to run and maintain my business from an administrative standpoint. I am able to manage my business from an iPad, which gives me the freedom that I need to move around. It is easy to use with an incredibly intuitive user interface. I can track payments, invoices, project management, etc. I will continue using this software.

Cons

I do not particularly like the Quickbooks mobile application. I've found that it lacks features or is harder to navigate than the online platform. I'm able to pull up the online platform from my iPad, which is the direction I tend to go when using Quickbooks from a mobile device. I wish the mobile application more closely resembled the online web platform.

Kathy

QuickBooks is Awesome

Reviewed on 4/9/2019

Pros

It is user friendly. Makes accounting more efficient. Reports provide all necessary information.

Cons

There isn't anything that I don't like about this software.

Reasons for Switching to QuickBooks Payroll

More user friendly and tech support is phenomenal.
Sarah
  • Industry: Oil & Energy

QuickBooks Review

Reviewed on 14/2/2020

Personally I like quickbooks for the most part. My biggest issue is when I do call customer service for something I always get a different answer to the same question. It seems like most of the customer service reps don't actually know so they tell you what they think is right. It has been so frustrating that if [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] hadn't helped me I would have seriously considered another avenue then keeping quickbooks. I spoke with 6 different people about a corrections case and every time I was given conflicting information to the same question. [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] was the only rep that has really known what he was talking about and took the time to call me the next day and resolve the issue while also providing with the email to verify he was correct. He did a great job and i truly appreciate him. The res of your reps I have spoken to since March really don't seem to know and when I mention that they are providing conflicting info they blame it on "oh well sorry that person was mistaken." That is not acceptable.

Pros

The ability to run payroll efficiently, early and make edits before payday if need be. Also printing previous pay checks and payroll summary is very helpful

Cons

some of the reports are more complicated than they need to be and the credit card sync is not fluid. it creates too many duplicates when there is a business credit account with multiple cards on the same credit account.

Mark

QuickBooks Payroll a good choice for all but the smallest of small businesses

Reviewed on 27/4/2022

A reliable and accurate service providing pretty much everything the small business needs to generate a payroll and to remit taxes and tax filings in a timely basis. Good customer service. When new state taxes were introduced, it was sometimes difficult to get the calculation of taxes due correct and, in my case, QuickBooks was never able to successfully remit the Washington Family & Medical Leave tax.

Pros

A comprehensive online payroll service likely to meet the needs of most small businesses with good integration to other products and services sold by QuickBooks. Easy setup, good customer service. I liked being able to schedule so that payroll taxes were deducted from my corporate account close to the date the remittance was due to the taxing authority. Some payroll services deduct taxes from the bank account just after payroll is run, then hold it (presumably making interest on those funds) until the taxes are actually due. QuickBooks doesn't appear to do that.

Cons

A few too many steps are required to run a payroll with a few informational messages being displayed that I usually disregard (of the "are you sure you want to do that?" kind). Also, QuickBooks was never able to successfully report and remit certain of Washington's state taxes. QuickBooks' calculation of these taxes never quite matched the calculation made by the state taxing authority and correcting QuickBooks' record of what I actually paid was a bit complicated. Also, the price for this service is not competitive, compared to other services, for very small businesses.

David
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

Works for our relatively straight forward needs

Reviewed on 5/12/2021

It's been good, and I would recommend it to other companies that have a similar use case to us (not a crazy amount of employees, and no complicated setup for payments)

Pros

I've had many people tell me that QuickBooks Payroll isn't a "true" or "real" payroll system, but I have yet to experience any major problems.

Our use case is fairly simple / straight forward, and we have 10's of employees, not 100's. In this context it works very well, handles all the tax reporting almost automatically (there is a bit of manual work, but it's trivial) and basically allows us to manage this fairly simply as a small company with not tons of resources.

It handles the direct deposit for our employees nicely as well.

Cons

This is more of an issue with any Quickbooks product, not just Payroll. The UI is not always super clear, and sometimes you have to go to weird places (from a navigation perspective) to find a particular function. Getting our annual forms for employees and the government is always a pain, because it's been a year since it was done last and it takes some time to find where you can do it in the software.

The support is also hit and miss. Sometimes the agent you get is very helpful and solves the problem relatively quickly, and sometimes the agent you get can't even really understand the problem no matter how often you explain it.

Finally my last gripe is that I have to manage the dates to process payroll manually. i.e. Quickbooks knows when payroll has to be run, but doesn't send me any type of notification, so I have to manually track this. It occasionally results in running it too close to a holiday, resulting in staff getting paid a day late, I'd really appreciate it if I got a notice from Quickbooks on the last day to process on time, since it's only one of the many things I have to keep track of.

xena
  • Industry: Consumer Electronics

effortless book keeping

Reviewed on 30/8/2018

experience with payroll is really cool, the software actually calculate the holdings and make life easy for me, definitely a robo accountant that i don't have to pay a salary to.
Over all experience : just love it and wish i had it from the beginning of my business. For new users, make use of support. Don't hesitate to call , ask questions , ask again if you have to they will walk you through it. Like i say be dumb and learn it . take the time to do so because the end result is amazing . knowing your finances is straight can save your life. aka....sleep well .

Pros

it keep track of your income and expenses by simply attaching your bank account.
almost does your tax return. lol
save a lot of time doing your data entry thus cost effective, no need for a special person to enter all your receipts etc
keep correct info on all money related transaction and balance your check book , can keep your spending and saving on check. I can make adjustments by just looking at my balance sheet. almost cool for idiots to use. :)
perfect

Cons

if i made a mistake and had to go hunting for the problem, but i can just call up support and let them know ( how stupid i was ) and they just fix it. so not really a con.
for invoicing however , can take a little polishing up especially if i am doing an estimate and need to send it out, i must be extra cautious.

Jackie

QB Payroll Review

Reviewed on 8/4/2020

Our company started with Quickbooks Payroll 5 years ago with 2 employees and we are still using them today with 25 employees. It is simple enough to use for a start up company, but has the features that are needed to comply with required regulations as the company grows.

Pros

I like that if I have made a mistake in payroll, I can call QB and it can be "fixed" before the money ever hits our employees' accounts. I also like having the ease of all the payroll summary reports when completing bank and legal documents that ask for payroll information, or creating budgets for the company.

Cons

While the software is great for the majority of payroll situations and the customer service is knowledgeable in most situations, if a more complicated situation arises with payroll, it may take a few calls to get the right person who will keep problem solving with you until the problem is completely resolved.

Patricia

A User for Over 20 Years

Reviewed on 6/9/2022

I have been using it for a very long time and am familiar with almost everything it has to offer even if I don't use some features. On a weekly use for 2 companies, it makes doing payroll fast and simple when using time sheets. It has some unfriendly features if you deviate from doing payroll that way -- like doing separate bonus checks, corporate officer year end checks, or anything that's not set as a regularly weekly paycheck. Some of the wording is confusing when doing those checks.

Pros

It's relatively easy to use once you set it up and take the time to understand the tax lines to which expenses, income, payroll, etc should be assigned. Once you learn how to use it and custom your reports, it saves time and the data from years back can be accessed.

Cons

It gets too complicated in generating reports. If you only use the reports as QB configures them, you won't get the most accurate view of the business. And I do NOT like the password being required on my own device. I want to decide that for myself. It's a real pain to have to log into a device that only I use even if you can set it for 90 days. I don't want to do that at all.

Jeni

From Desktop program to Online program

Reviewed on 11/5/2020

Fast, prompt and knowledgeable assistance. As a new user to the online platform I am a bit of a chore to help, however I have received fantastic service including explanations so guide to me should the issue return. It is comforting that I can expect a prompt response when I reach out for help as I am uncomfortable with any facet of the company bookkeeping in limbo for any length of time.

Pros

Automatic features such as tax calculations and submit, ease of importing bank feeds.

Cons

Templates limited in customization. Possibly because we are a construction office and our invoicing is a bit particular. Also, I have customized and saved a report similar to the 'print check stub' feature in the desktop version, small learning curve there and wouldn't mind seeing that report option.

Julie
  • Industry: Medical Practice

User Friendly

Reviewed on 10/3/2020

Pros

Customizable for my business, I like that some items are automatic.

Cons

I wish I could make 401k contributions and dhhr payments through quickbooks so that it was done automatically with payroll. I can make deductions but would love for them to be sent.

Reasons for Switching to QuickBooks Payroll

I like being in control of payroll
Anne
  • Industry: Pharmaceuticals

Good for both experienced and inexperienced payroll processors

Reviewed on 11/2/2022

Pros

Easily able to modify paychecks before/during processing.

Cons

QB Payroll will not process local taxes, so it can't be considered a full service payroll solution like ADP or others. Unable to calculate WC liability unless using QB WC

Kimberly
  • Industry: Consumer Electronics

We've got this growing and learning together!

Reviewed on 21/5/2020

The service can be amazing! I would like to have the option of more power to make my own changes without the assistance of the Pros. Yes, the pros often save my butt but as an innovative entrepreneur I would still appreciate more "EUREKA" moments where I have the freedom to solve my own problems intuitively. Please simplify making changes to bank accounts and other simple controls. Set us up for success and set us free! : )

Pros

Innovation is key! This service offers ways to stretch and grow your company.

Cons

The hard part is keeping up with the changes. I would like to have the option to keep things the way that I have learned and "freeze" my choices when the gears are flowing. Sometimes enough is actually enough. Old school can be enough.

Lori

Great potential!

Reviewed on 22/4/2019

When it's all working, it's great!

Pros

I use the Enhanced Payroll and it works really good. Keeps track of your payroll liabilities, and allows you to pay them online through Quick Books, which is great when it works.

Cons

We switched bank accounts, and it was a nightmare trying to switch all of the payroll direct deposit stuff over. In addition, someone in the office picked up the wrong state for withholding and unemployment and we still have't been able to get rid of it. Just like with Quick Books, if you have a problem and call customer service, plan on several hours with them. They are not quick and often transfer you around before you can finally find someone who can help.

John

QuickBooks Payroll Support

Reviewed on 10/2/2020

More time to focus on the business.

Pros

Ease of use and peace of mind with timely filings and top notch support.

Cons

Would like to be able to classify payroll items by employee.

ADP TotalSource

Reasons for Switching to QuickBooks Payroll

Cost & Implementation effort.