Pixelmator Pro

Image editing software with various effects, presets & tools

5/5

Jonathan A.
  • Industry: Law Practice

My Pixelmator Pro

Reviewed on 18/8/2021

Excellent. It's the only graphics software that I use.

Pros

What drew me to Pixelmator Pro was how easy it was to use. I'm not a hard core graphics designer or anything but it gets the job done.

I use it to create graphics mostly, as well as assets to be used in graphics. I've even used it to do floor layout, labels, designs for stamps and charts.

Hence, it has a wide range of case uses.

The application is feature rich, everything is labelled and right within reach. I love the tab feature which allows me to work on different projects at the same time all in one place.

Cons

Some features require the use of tutorials, but the learning curve is not steep but does take some patience and practice.

Hands down the best image editing software on the market

Reviewed on 13/3/2021

Everyone should have this image editor in their toolkit, at the price point, there's no reason not to.

Pros

The price point and the vast array of features make this software the best image editing tool on the market, even better than Photoshop!

Cons

Nothing. I love everything about Pixelmator. My only wish is that the developers released more frequent updates with super cool features that they're known for.

Kevin C.
  • Industry: Media Production

Solid go-to graphics app for Mac

Reviewed on 20/2/2020

I use this from everything to creating graphic images to converting and resizing images for web use. Its png files work for our lower-thirds, and it makes pretty light-weight jpgs for web pages.

Pros

I like the interface a lot. The basic tools are listed out on the editing page instead of on arrangeable windows. It has most of the tools you'd find in Photoshop, but for a fraction of the price. And you don't have to rent it.

Cons

I do wish that I could merge photos for HDR, but I bought a stand-alone program to do that, and it's still way cheaper than Photoshop.

Weston O.
  • Industry: Religious Institutions

A Blend of Accessibility and Power

Reviewed on 30/1/2020

It really feels like the developers are walking that perfect line of "ease of use" and "technical ability". It has been the perfect fit for quick photo adjustment and flyer/poster/slide creation.

Pros

The features almost all feel like they are exactly where they are supposed to be. Even when I go to try something new, the intuitive and simple nature of the design makes it easy for me to problem solve and figure it out. If I can't, it's usually because the program literally can't do what I'm thinking off.

Cons

Honestly, the only issues I have are the occasional times that I come up with a graphical idea and the program literally can't do it, or can't do it with our ridiculous work arounds (like text on a path).

Eduardo G.
  • Industry: Photography

Awesome design & photo editor tool!

Reviewed on 1/5/2019

Beyond the photo editing features Pixelmator Pro has everything! You can find a great UX a faster rendering techniques for special effects and the fx gallery simplifies the job.

Pros

It's a great alternative for basic photo editing!
You can find a lot of useful tools and it has a great intelligence behind each one, when you interact with each tool the options adapts to clean the space and focus on your next move. It has great control so you'll find the layer panels, typography options and styles easily.

Cons

Although it has an amazing and intuitive UX, it’s very different from the previous Pixelmator version.

Bye bye Photoshop. Hellooooo Pixelmator

Reviewed on 4/10/2019

Honestly, a joy. If you're looking for an alternative to Photoshop, Pixelmator is a no brainer.

Pros

Pixelmator is functional across macOS and iOS. It has most of the functionality of photoshop (at a serious fraction of the cost) but retains accessible and easy access to tools and discoverability.

Cons

Pixelmator Pro is a Pro app, so this is almost a moot point however the UI could be a little more accessible and discoverable. Some tools are offer the same functionality in Pro and the consumer version however are much more difficult to operate in Pro.

Julian S.

Very fast design software

Reviewed on 28/10/2019

Super useful and valuable for my business so highly recommended

Pros

Great design app for my Mac that lets me easily touch up images and create marketing banners for my business

Cons

Can sometimes get stuck or have bugs but the customer support is usually helpful most of the time...

Jim M.
  • Industry: Law Practice

As good as PhotoShop

Reviewed on 11/2/2021

I would recommend this program to anyone - like me - needs to edit photographs for their website. The creators of this program have many tutorials that teach you how to use the program.

Pros

This program has all the features of Photoshop (or almost all). All at a small fraction of the cost.

Cons

This is not really a complaint, but all of these program are hard to use - until you know what you are doing.

Alejandro R.
  • Industry: Chemicals

Nice app for mac

Reviewed on 23/7/2021

I only use it for editing images for scientific papers or student thesis. Its great for that because its simple to use and cheap.

Pros

If you need some simple image editor this is for you. It have really similar capacities as other editor that are way more expensive. In adittion to that, you only have to make one payment and don't have to pay a subscription.

Cons

Pixelmator only have cons when you're heading to a more professional field. It's features pale against the classic professional softwares and definitely have to change to a better software.

Jon K.
  • Industry: Nonprofit Organisation Management

Best for the budget

Reviewed on 2/1/2020

Pros

Best cost for what you get. As a non-profit, student or a small business just starting up you cannot beat its versatility. Highly recommend.

Cons

Its ability to have multiple screens and be very movable is good but can be annoying. Easy to click off your project while trying to organize your tools.

Great image manipulation app!

Reviewed on 26/7/2019

Love it !

Pros

Pixelmator is a great alternative for those who don't want to pay a subscription for Photoshop. It has a great set of features that is great for the price point.

Cons

For those who use photoshop, they like certain things they could do in the program, so it would take adjustment.

Natalia G.

A Great Photoshop Alternative

Reviewed on 19/11/2019

Pros

Easy to use, with a fresh user experience and an intuitive design that is close to the Mac style.

Cons

There are some features missing, is much more basic than other software and it gets a bit slow.

Greg W.
  • Industry: Religious Institutions

So powerful

Reviewed on 27/9/2019

My experience is that it works fast and looks great and it’s cheap (compared to other solutions).

Pros

Love the features and how quick I can get things done. I’ve never been great with photoshop but this lets me do everything I wanted to.

Cons

The tools aren’t as intuitive to use as I’d like. I had to watch some tutorial vids on YouTube to do the things I wanted but now I’m great at it.

Jason B.

Lots of features for a very low price

Reviewed on 13/2/2020

Pixelmator Pro has been an excellent investment for my company. We work with outside agencies, so we didn't need the most expensive software for serious design work. We needed an easy to use image editor for quick changes, image cleanup, and simple editing and cropping. Pixelmator Pro gave us that and a lot more for a very low price. Seriously, this software can do 95% of what the highest end image editors can do, and the developers have added new features on a regular basis. If you are coming from another image editor, you'll have to push yourself to learn Pixelmator as the interface is different (but not worse) from other editors I have used. There's a great support community, and I've been able to learn the ropes quickly to turn out professional-looking images in no time.

Pros

Many features comparable to other image editing software. Developers are continually adding new features. Leverages Mac hardware and OS really well. Low price for such a full-featured product.

Cons

Still missing some key features compared to competing programs or software suites. Can't import/rasterize vector files. If you've used other image editing software, the learning curve can be pretty steep.

Stephen B.

Pixelmator Pro for the Everyday User

Reviewed on 12/12/2019

Pixelmator Pro is my go to tool for editing photos and making graphics. It is easy to use and now that it uses Apple's Metal, it can do a lot of the initial leg work when it comes to editing, for you! Pixelmator Pro has great use of layers, editing of colors, and cropping images.

Pros

Compared to other pro level photo editing tools, Pixelmator is a powerful tool and super easy to use!

Cons

For the money, Pixelmator Pro has all of the main features you may need, but it doesn't have the same depth of resources (built in presets) that other high end photo editing tools have.

Aaron P.
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

Fantastic photo editing software that gives Photoshop a run for its money

Reviewed on 1/4/2021

Depending on your needs, Pixelmator Pro can easily be used as a Photoshop replacement. While it lacks some of the more advanced editing and features of Photoshop, it's easy of use and great price make it a fantastic tool.

Pros

Pixelmator Pro is both powerful and easy to use. There are a number of built-in adjustments that use machine learning to automatically choose the best settings, and the vast majority of the time the ML algorithms make good choices. The price is also outstanding for the feature set.

Cons

Pixelmator Pro is simply not as powerful or feature rich as Adobe Photoshop.

Tessa S.
  • Industry: Arts & Crafts

I make everything in pixelmator

Reviewed on 3/5/2019

Still prefer it over photoshop even now I have both!

Pros

I love how easy it is to use even without knowledge of the software.

Cons

There is one feature which is missing: for making my drawings into digital transparants. Therefore I still have to use photoshop.

Pixelmator Pro is a top notch choice to replace Photoshop

Reviewed on 9/2/2020

Pixelmator Pro is pretty much the only image editor that I find myself using on a daily basis, I couldn't imagine life without it and it's so reasonable priced (in fact, almost too cheap).

Pros

The ease of use in getting simple tasks completed is my favorite Pixelmator Pro feature. I am able to perform professional looking editing on images in just a few clicks.

Cons

Some of the features are buried/hidden in the software and until you find it on the Internet/Tutorial, you would have never known how easy it was to perform the task.

Glen S.
  • Industry: Graphic Design

David meets Adobe

Reviewed on 21/2/2020

I'm saving money, I no longer have to keep paying out the user unfriendly CC subscription, for less than the cost of a single CC app for 4 months I get to keep this!
This is legendary stuff here, I can do everything I didi in photoshop plus a few more bells and whistles this is software to relish and enjoy!

Pros

Outstanding software does everything that Photoshop does and more, this is pro level software for photographers, artists and designers!

Cons

Nothing negative to say! If anything it takes a little whil eto understand the concept of the filter pin, but that's nothing to complain about!

Pixelmator

Reviewed on 19/11/2019

Pros

It is super easy to use and excellent value for money. Best alternative for photoshop so far for simple projects.

Cons

Some features might be somewhat hidden or difficult to identify.

Pamela S.
  • Industry: Music

Best Photo Editing Software with Top of the Line Features

Reviewed on 26/2/2021

My overall experience with Pixelmator Pro is incredibly positive. I would highly recommend it to anyone who needs top of the line features for a reasonable price point. The super resolution image resizing makes Pixelmator Pro my go-to image editing software. Over the years, it gets better and better, thanks to frequent updates. I would give it 10 out of 5 stars if that were an option.

Pros

Pixelmator Pro has incredible photo editing functionality. I love the vector art capability, the photo filters, light leaks, and mosaic type patterns. What sets this software apart from most others I have used, is the super resolution image resizing. The technology is amazing in it's ability to keep the detail of both text and intricate art. The repair tool is one of the best I have seen. It can completely remove people and objects from a photograph in a few clicks, while maintaining the background.

Cons

While I love most of the features, a few things that could be improved upon perhaps, is it is missing the ability to create highlighted label text. For example, if you want to create text that is highlighted on an image, instead of a simple highlighting text tool, you would need to create a shape such as a rectangle first, and then put the text over that shape to create the effect of highlighted text. Another feature that seems problematic, is text outlines. When a stroke outline is used around text, and it is set to outer, and it is made to be very thick so that the text can stand out from the image (approximately 55 point or so) it seems there is some kind of glitch where some of the letters like w, v, and t have points to them that shouldn't be there. This is most likely a software bug that can be easily fixed, and does not represent the software itself, just something rather annoying that hopefully can be easily resolved with an update.

Crystal C.
  • Used for 6-12 months

Not for me

Reviewed on 6/5/2021

I went from Pixelmator to Pro hoping it would be a better fit for me, but unfortunately it was not. I don't care for softwares that are tedious in functionality. I want things to make sense in terms of what the actions do and where they can be found.

Pros

It had a lot of features similar to Photoshop/Lightroom and for a fraction of the cost that those softwares charge

Cons

It is a huge learning curve and the level of frustration involved even to do the simplest of tasks was beyond me

Purchased Myself To Make My Work Life Easier

Reviewed on 27/2/2020

I purchased the upgrade from the original to receive the new layer and attached editing tabs to make editing even easier than it was before. I'm happy I did. Pixelmator got even easier to use and additional effects like ML enhanced resolution even add to the value of this program. Stellar purchase.

Pros

As one who creates viral content, full of text and images, it is essential that I have a powerful yet quick to use photo editor. Upon investing in the original Pixelmator, I was impressed with the Layer levels and attached toolbar in the pro version of the app. Like the original, Pixelmator Pro is easily my most used image-creation and editing app when putting content together in Wordpress. I'm able to resize, scale, add layers of UI effects, add text, and finally export in a matter of seconds or minutes.

Cons

With all the benefits that the Pro version of Pixelmator has to offer, I am seldomly annoyed by the selection and deselect element tool. Even if I have switched to another tool, I am forced to go back to the selection tool, only to deselect the current element before moving on. Also, some tools create different intended effects on a task that has to be split up into several pieces due to other pieces intruding on the piece in question.

Andrea G.

It's just like Photoshop

Reviewed on 4/12/2019

Pros

It has great functionalities, most of the tools that you find in Photoshop you can find in Pixelmator, and the price is amazing for what you're getting.

Cons

Some features are hidden in the user interface.

Nicholas T.
  • Industry: Legal Services
  • Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

Affordable alternative to the big guys!

Reviewed on 10/5/2019

I love this software. It's all the features you want at a much more reasonable price point.

Pros

This is good software - it has the vast majority of features a photo editor could want. The best bit is the ability to quickly turn any selection into a scalable vector.

Cons

There isn't really any color indexing below modern standards, so if you're trying to lock something down to a earlier standard, you'll need to use other software.