Procreate

Write a Review!
Graphic designing software for digital illustrations

4.8/5
4.7/5
4.5/5
4.5/5

The Magic of Procreate: The Ultimate Digital Art Tool for iPad

Reviewed on 11/2/2023

Pros

As a daily user of Procreate, I can attest to its exceptional simplicity and intuitive design. Whether I am sketching rough concepts or fine-tuning final designs, Procreate's intuitive interface and robust features allow me to work quickly and efficiently. Despite its ease of use, Procreate is a remarkably powerful tool. From the ability to use custom brushes to the ability to extract colors from photos, Procreate has everything I need to bring my vision to life. I am constantly amazed by the level of control and precision I have at my fingertips, and I would highly recommend this software to anyone looking to dwell in the digital art world.

Cons

While Procreate is an exceptional tool for digital artists, there is room for improvement in the resizing feature. Currently, resizing an image can be a bit cumbersome and lacks the smoothness and precision that I would prefer.

Michelle

Good Drawing App For the Price

Reviewed on 9/7/2021

Procreate allows me the autonomy to create graphics for logos and collaterals by hand. These features are available with my adobe products, but I use this on my iPad with a pen and often times, on the go. It's just a simple little tool I can use when I'm not in front of a desktop or computer and I just like being able to pop into it and do my work and be done.

Pros

As a designer who tends to need software to draw out certain logos and images by hand (with an iPad and pen), I did like the fact that the software gave a wide range of brushes and even allowed you to create your own brushes. For the price, it has some good exporting features like animated gifs and downloadable replays of the image you were drawing as you were drawing it, which I thought was cool. Layers are easy to use, similar to Photoshop and Illustrator.

Cons

I did find that there was a bit of a learning curve with this software. There is a Procreate handbook but since I am familiar with Photoshop and Illustrator I figured I could skip the handbook and go straight to creating. I struggled with just a couple of things so you may need to take the time to reference the handbook, particularly if you're a novice.

Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Illustrator

Reasons for Switching to Procreate

I use Procreate on my iPad in addition to these products.
Spencer
  • Company size: 501–1,000 Employees
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

Procreate - A Great Tool!

Reviewed on 31/10/2021

I’ve loved using procreate. It’s helped me create different ads and flyers.

I’ve loved using procreate. It’s helped me create different ads and flyers.

Pros

Procreate has a lot of great tools and features.

Cons

Procreate has a pretty big learning curve. It takes a lot to get it down.

Katana
  • Industry: Design

Amazing program with an easy price point. Gorgeous and Intuitive.

Reviewed on 24/5/2022

I've used it for commission work and teaching projects both, and it's never let me down.

Pros

The amount of features, ease of creating new brushes and overall gorgeous UI really make it shine.

Cons

Could be a little bit beefier with more filters and manipulation. Would love to see vector features.

Liza
  • Industry: Design

Going on year 6 with this app!

Reviewed on 29/8/2022

I've been a loyal user of Procreate since 2016, and it was the first design tool that started my journey as a graphic designer. The value for the price is way more than I could expect from a $10 app. I now use this app as part of my design system in my professional work, and sometimes I even create complete projects. This app is great for hobbyists, beginners, and professionals. I've learned that there are no limits to what you can do on Procreate. Many opportunities I have achieved would not have been successful without Procreate. Some things I would mention if you haven't considered are to make sure you have the proper device specs to run the app. Larger projects require an iPad with more memory.

Pros

What makes Procreate very valuable to me are the advanced design tools, resources, and price.

There are many tools available that make illustrating and photo editing easy, natural, and enjoyable. What impresses me about the design tools and features is the interface is simple, yet you can customize the tool's properties to a great extent.

Procreate has amassed a large community of designers and illustrators across social media that help others make the most out of the app. Many resources from these platforms have helped me with my workflow and improved my design and technical skills. The resources include free and paid courses, brush sets, design feedback, regular updates, and more!

The price for the app is a one-time $9.99! The fact that this app is a complete design system that costs around the same price as a whole meal at McDonald's is unreal to me. There are no ads, no subscriptions, and no tiered plans.

Cons

The few cons I would mention are the inability to render vector graphics (SVGs), the hidden secret shortcuts, the cropping of layers, and having no automatic edit history feature.

I wish you could create vectors in native Procreate. To make vectors from my Procreate designs, I encounter the tedious task of converting them in Illustrator.

I've been using Procreate for many years, yet I'm still unaware of some hidden shortcuts and gestures. I usually stumble on them going through social media. It can be frustrating because these shortcuts cannot be easily found or notified of through the app itself.

It can also be frustrating when you take a layer and move it to the side of the artboard, and the layer gets cut off.

Procreate lacks an interval editing history feature. I now make multiple copies, but sometimes I forget or realize I want to revisit a version I didn't duplicate.

Camila

Procreate is actually my favorite app

Reviewed on 17/11/2022

I love how the quality is! I literally have tried a tons of waiting apps and so far Procreate is the best one. It lets you make motions art, have a lot of tools to paint and pencil, you can change the form of the same pencil you're using, switch to pens, paint brushes... Have a lot of different tones of colors. I just love it to be honest I don't know how to describe it. My hobby is digital drawing and graphic design with illustration and the app I use the most for it its procreate. However Its actually kinda hard to understand at first, I had to looked for tons of tutorials to understand it and I still need to look for tutorials when I want to do something in particular.

Denisse
  • Industry: Research
  • Company size: 5,001–10,000 Employees

Procreate, the expression tool

Reviewed on 6/4/2022

I really like procreate. I found what once was tedious fun, I have loved how intuitive it is, the colour pallets and the capacity to import my old pallets and brushes. It is extremely useful when it comes to easy details and creating illustrations for presentations. Every day I learn more about it and find applications for all the tools. Now I enjoy working with all my images and creating schemes to communicate my ideas

Pros

I enjoy the creative process, it adapts to my hand pressure easily which can be translated into a great drawing process. While editing the work photos I have never had problems manipulating the planes, it is easy to add more information and make focus on what is relevant. While creating a presentation I love how easy is to adjust my image to certain frames. I have a lot of freedom and can play with all the tools. It is easy to import brushes from photoshop and move all my creation processes easily to my tablet

Cons

It says is for everyone but it is necessary to learn the basics when it comes to design and drawing in order to understand the full potential of procreating. Once you get used to it, you'll love it

CHARLENE
  • Industry: Consumer Services

Great Art app

Reviewed on 16/11/2023

Pros

Unlimited uses ! I use this app for editing, creating art , and enjoy that it can be used very “Painterly” or more graphically.

Cons

There’s so many options I can get distracted by the choices .

Chris
  • Company size: 1,001–5,000 Employees

The Best Digital Drawing Software

Reviewed on 17/10/2023

I would recommend this software to anyone. All the way from an amateur artist to a professional graphic designer. I have used it for years and it is so comfortable to use.

Pros

As the title says this is the best digital drawing software. It has great ease of use and transfers well to other editing software. There are so many features like an extensive brush library. The best feature is the price point. Approximately 10-12 dollars one time and you have the software. No subscription service!!

Cons

A con of this product is that it is only for iPads. This could possibly be cost-prohibitive for some individuals. There is a version for phones but it is pretty lackluster.

Alexandra
  • Industry: Arts & Crafts

Great image and animation tool for beginners

Reviewed on 5/12/2023

I use Procreate as an image editor, photo editor and animation tool. It doesn´t have so much tools as expensive alternatives, but for small artists it is great

Pros

Easy to use, many usefull tutorials, helpfull cominity

Cons

Limit of the project size: the bigger the canvas size - the less number of layers are available

Luiza

Procreate Review

Reviewed on 8/9/2022

I love how easily I can find everything that I need. The huge brush, texture library. Easy to export things and the capability that we have to open PS format. I would say that 80% of my illustrations I use to procreate. We all know that photoshop is more complex, but recreate can do the same job just as good.

Pros

Everything. The UI is so straightforward. No complications at all when you need to work on a gif, complex animation, illustration, etc. Everything that you need and all the hand action are super easy to find/do.

Cons

I don't have a thing that I like the least on procreate. I just wish that procreate was a little bit more advanced on 3d.

Jess
  • Industry: Design

One of the best creative apps ive ever used in my entire career

Reviewed on 7/7/2023

My experience with Procreate has been amazing and it's truly changed my career for the better.

Pros

The procreate app is extremely user-friendly, very easy to learn, and most importantly intuitive to the way artists actually work

Cons

I wish there was a better way to organize files and fonts, but neither of those things has deterred my workflow in any way

Mariagrazia
  • Industry: Design

The best non vector software for illustrations

Reviewed on 29/10/2022

I create my products or part of my products using procreate and the best part tvthat it is very easy to use and it is very cheap.

Pros

It is extremely easy to use and you can achieve a very high level of outcome from it.

Cons

I would add a vector brushes library as well

Silvia
  • Industry: Apparel & Fashion

Good software for creative people

Reviewed on 26/11/2022

I think it's a great software for artists. Easy to learn and quite intuitive. I would recommend it.

Pros

It has a really wide range of creative features and a lot of customizable tools. Plus it's easy to create new brushes and to edit the default ones.

Cons

I wish they give you the option to use vectors as well. Also it would be great if you could play a bit more with the text layers.

Kayla
  • Industry: Design

Easy to use, endless possibilities

Reviewed on 27/6/2021

Overall, I am highly satisfied with my purchase of procreate. The more I use the software, the more I have enjoyed it. I have learned so much and grown as an artist with procreate.

Pros

Procreate is very easy to use and has endless possibilities to explore. Everything is extremely customizable and makes designing easier than I’ve ever experienced before.

Cons

There is a bit of a learning curve to all of the features on procreate so it may take a little while to understand all the features it has to offer.

Aditya
  • Industry: Automotive
  • Company size: 5,001–10,000 Employees

Create with Procreat!

Reviewed on 26/12/2022

Overall, the experience is very positive and I use it quite a lot for creative work. Being able to work with animation and gifs makes it even more fun to use.

Pros

The software comes with great user friendly features making things easy for user. The options for brush and other tools is great. Gesture based features are also fun to use. Animation and gif features are great.

Cons

The number of layers the user can create is limited. Makes a bit tricky to use when working with multiple layers.

Janice
  • Industry: Graphic Design

Best drawing software for iPad

Reviewed on 27/7/2021

Pros

It's relatively easy to use if you're already familiar with traditional design software. Versatile, and has the best brush algorithms of any iPad software.

Cons

I think it has room to grow and become more complex. Some of the tools feel a little clumsy.

Tamara
  • Industry: Mechanical or Industrial Engineering

Really Great App

Reviewed on 6/9/2023

Pros

I love how easy and intuitive this app is to use.

Cons

Not sure if this is just user error or not, but I find that it's difficult to know just how many features this app has. But, that is solved by watching videos.

Abdullah
Abdullah

Procreate

Reviewed on 26/7/2021

Procreate is really smooth and easy to start with. talk about jump in and start drawing, no tutorials needed. that is procreate

Pros

Procreate is really great for iPad users. the interface is very simple and the tools are at the edge giving enough screen real estate for artists to draw on. you don't need a digital pencil to draw but it's very recommended.
it has features like palm rejection and gestures. it makes working easier and faster.

Cons

not detrimental but, it consumes more battery power than expected. due to it's palm rejection features coupled with my screen protector, it doesn't respond to finger gestures sometimes.

Vincent
  • Industry: Biotechnology

Best for graphic designers

Reviewed on 24/2/2023

Pros

I like that it is very easy to use overall. Using it on my iPad.

Cons

I love it and dont have anything negative to say about it.

Nancy
  • Industry: Design

Procreate - the go to software for iPad artists

Reviewed on 10/1/2022

Procreate has been a huge plus for my business and I use it several times a week to create artwork for clients.I enjoy playing around in it on my own time as well!

Pros

Using Procreate on an iPad with an i pencil is the closest I have gotten to feeling like I am working in a sketch pad. The range of brushes and features is excellent and I like that there is such a large market of add-ons (brushes, color palettes etc.) available as well! Exporting artwork is a piece of cake!

Cons

There is a lot to his program, therefore a lot to learn. The learning curve was a little steep for me and I am still learning the ins and outs of how it functions.

Leona

Love

Reviewed on 23/1/2022

I love using procreate for creating digital art, stickers, and other items.

I love using procreate for creating digital art, stickers, and other items.

Pros

With procreate, you can drop and drag colors from the palette to your workspace.

Cons

I am unable to think of anything I don't like about this software.

• Company size: 1,001–5,000 Employees

Robust Features at an Amazing Price

Reviewed on 13/7/2022

I've been using procreate for a month and love the features. The price is minimal compared to its value, and I'm able to export PNGs with transparent backgrounds. I'm looking forward to experimenting with brush sets next!

Pros

Procreate allows me to work in layers, which I'm used to thanks to Adobe Photoshop and other pro-level software programs.

Cons

There seems to be some bugginess when using the app on the iPad with the Apple Pencil. The tools will often change from draw to erase and vice versa. It's a small irritation compared to working in the app though.

Jeremy
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

Pros of Procreate

Reviewed on 14/6/2023

I found it very easy to use, and it only gets better with time as you are able to learn and take advantage of all that it has to offer.

Pros

It is intuitive and isn’t overly complicated. It has great value and is great for beginners and experienced artists.

Cons

The text feature could use a wider variety of fonts.

Meghan

Game Changer

Reviewed on 23/7/2021

I have an old school mindset when it comes to drawing, but drawing on the computer has always been a challenge for me. This is the first program that is not only rich with extensive solutions, but is also so incredibly simple to use.

Pros

I am a graphic artist and generally in the past I had drawn my ideas on paper, scanned it and then got to work....many, many hours of work. Since I got Procreate, I have saved myself HUNDREDS of hours of work!

Cons

There isn't much to not like. I am able to easily get fonts, draw and get support!