Affinity Photo

Graphic designing and image editing software

5/5
4.6/5
4.5/5
4.5/5

24 Software options

Give up that monthly subscription

Reviewed on 15/4/2021

I switched to Affinity after trying numerous image editing software options that would get me away from the monthly subscription model. Affinity best met 95% of the requirements I was looking for and over time I've discovered other ways to get it to do what I want. It's great for creating flyers, ads, and graphics to use on FB, Twitter, and Instagram

Pros

It's so easy to use once you get over the learning curve. Even after 2 years I am still discovering more and more things that I thought were not possible with this software

Cons

There is a bit of a learning curve and some features do not work as I'd expect. I would also like other things implemented (adjustiblity per layer,etc) but I also understand that for the price point that's not something they are in a hurry to implement

• Industry: Publishing

A solid photo editor for your design arsenal

Reviewed on 4/11/2021

Never looked back since switching about two years ago

Pros

Affinity Photo contains most of the powerful feature anyone needs in their daily workflows and integrates seamlessly with their other softwares, Affinity Designer and Affinity Publisher, in a way that allows you to switch modes and work on design and layouts from within the same application in a breeze.

Cons

Feature set is more limited than the competition with lots of more advanced feature having been stripped out in favor of speed and utility, namely automated actions, AI image editing, etc.

Sean M.
  • Industry: Consumer Services

Exactly what you need for quick edits

Reviewed on 9/9/2021

Pros

Unless you need access to Adobe's Creative Cloud this fits as a great replacement at a much lower cost

Cons

Nothing major, takes a bit of time to adjust to some different layout/shortcuts.

Goran S.
  • Industry: Leisure, Travel & Tourism

My favorite software

Reviewed on 4/5/2021

I switched to Affinity Photo at the beginning of the 2020 when they offered a three month trial. After the trial I happily bought Photo (and Publisher and Designer even though I didn't really need them at the time) because I learned to love it more than I ever loved Adobe Photoshop that I switched from. Affinity Photo is the single best photo editing program and I will recommend it to everyone I come in touch with. Switch to Affinity and save hundreds of dollars a year!

My favorite part of Affinity software is that it is as capable as Photoshop but does not feel cheap like some other alternatives. It feels very well through through and the menus are all in the right places. The UI is comparable to Photoshop and it is very easy to make the switch. They even support .psd files in case you want to switch your current project over.

I use it to make graphics for the videos I make, and to touch up photos I take. In both aspects, Affinity is a champion.

Pros

Affinity Photo is the reason I don't bleed money on overly expensive programs that I only use a tiny portion of. It is inexpensive, reliable, and has all the features I ever needed!

Cons

I would really want more customization options for key bindings. My drawing tablet does not support the current hotkeys well, but that's not only on Affinity but on the tablet manufacturer as well.

Krita

Reasons for Choosing Affinity Photo

Adobe Photoshop is an incredibly expensive solution. They have their software bundled and offer it only on subscription model. Affinity is not only cheap but is a one-time payment only.

Reasons for Switching to Affinity Photo

Krita seemed to be geared more towards digital drawing and I needed a solid photo manipulation app.
Barbara P.
  • Industry: Architecture & Planning

Affinity Photo offers a complete toolset with a fair pricing model

Reviewed on 8/6/2021

I use Affinity Photo to edit rendered images generated on 3D modeling programs and to draw images later to be used on animations. I add lighting to scenes, work on composition, edit bright, contrast, blur, add some effects, use brushes and fonts to create original designs and art to social media. It offers a wide usage possibility with professional tools.

Pros

Affinity Photo offers a complete and professional toolset on photo editing and has competitive pricing that makes it the best choice when it comes to benefit-cost analysis. The software is available to all platforms and devices, including Windows Store (even though it was first made to Mac platforms.). After a single purchase, you own the software and can use it until it is discontinued by Affinity, which is a fair model of pricing to users that's not done by major competitors. Instead, other companies charge users monthly to get a license to use their product, which makes their product far more expansive than Affinity Photo. The choice of charging only once for their product is a very good reason people are migrating to Affinity, especially new users and students who can't afford a never-ending monthly payment.

Cons

Getting used to Affinity Photo's interface was a confusing process, it could be more intuitively friendly to beginners and users who changed from another product. Maybe adding a tutorial or some sort of guide would help with that problem.

Johnny K.

Affinity Photo

Reviewed on 9/7/2021

I use almost image work with Affinity Photo. This wonderful application can co work with Affinity Designer for every design work process like Pixel to Vector. Even need to fix and feature, Perpetual License and Low product price is Big merit. Most of all, the result of this products are good for serious project.

Pros

1 : No Subscription Policy. It's perfect perpetual license and price is low.
2 : Fast navigate and can handling big project. I have done one massive composition file over 10 Giga and it works.
3 : external plug-in compatible. i use neat image photoshop plug-in with affinty photo without any problem.
4 : Panorama and stack (include astrophotography) feature is excellent.
5 : Refine feature. This process made me spend less effort and time to make mask from fuzzy object.

Cons

1 : User can't change scratch disk. if you face "disk full error" you can't proceed until empty you system disk. Let user change or add external disk as scratch disk option need.
2 : Selecting layer from working screen is very frustrating. It means can't select wanted layer among overlapped layers with right click list checking. User must find in layer palette. this is horrible when many layer project.
3 : Little bit training need to using mask workflow. newbie user confusing when work with mask layer. also, I hope to let user enable transform separately with mask.
4 : No Batch RAW processing.
5 : No response to user's question.

Looking to try Photoshop? Use this instead

Reviewed on 31/8/2021

If you are a business heavily invested in Adobe, the cost of switching may not be worth it. For everyone else, Affinity can save you insane amounts of money. As a casual photographer, I did not rely on many of Adobe's enterprise-oriented features (and related price tag). I got it on discount, but even at normal pricing, Adobe cannot compete for casual users.

Pros

The photoshop-like interface made it easy to switch over as a casual user with very little learning curve

Cons

Having to update by downloading an EXE from a website rather than having an app like Creative Cloud desktop is an annoyance

Mario emiliano F.
  • Industry: Media Production

Best Photo editing for web designers

Reviewed on 4/5/2021

You can create large professional quality images as well as simple images for social media and web design.

Pros

The tools for photo editing and graphics are state of the art, compared to the recognized brand. The price is unbeatable. The stability is very good and it is cross platform.
For those who edit pictures this is the way to go,

Cons

Some learning curve worth taking. Some features take an extra step to achieve.

Alex P.
  • Industry: Design

Fantastic alternative to industry staples

Reviewed on 8/7/2021

Overall, I love Affinity. It's a fantastic piece of software that can perform just about any role that Adobe Photoshop can. For the price, it's a stellar value for most users and the one-time purchase model (with free updates) is much nicer than the subscription based service that Adobe has gone with.

Pros

Familiar and well designed UI. Strong suite of tools. Reliable performance and functionality. Excellent price compared to competitors.

Cons

Filetype compatibility is tricky. Affinity files aren't supported by photoshop, so exporting files is necessary for projects that are being shared to other people for editing. Slightly fewer tools than Adobe products.

Susan F.
  • Industry: Primary/Secondary Education
  • Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees
  • Used for 6-12 months

Love it

Reviewed on 22/6/2021

I use it very occasionally for things that I need, but so far it's wonderful.

Pros

I love that it's so easy to use. And with lots and lots of tutorials on how to use it. The prize is awesome too.

Cons

Nothing notable so far. I enjoy using it and will continue to play around and learn.

Jeremy B.
  • Industry: Writing & Editing

Gotta Get Them All, Part Two

Reviewed on 30/9/2021

I’ve already said plenty in my review for Affinity Designer that I’d repeat here, and to clarify, I have many good things to say. But to expand on my glowification of this software and this brand, I love having access to a competent photo design tool that gives me unlimited use of layers, effects, fancy brushes, useful warping tools, filters, filters, and more filters, connections to free stock photo sites (even if they did end integration with Unsplash to save on costs), and even smart images for mock-up designs, all without having to pay for it twice, three times, four times, or whatever the going price is for other premium design tools made by companies that start with the letter A. I’m a writer, not a graphic designer. But with as much as I use Affinity Photo these days, I’m starting to wonder if that statement is still true. Love this app, love this brand, and I happily support any product they make, including and especially Affinity Photo.

Pros

To echo what I wrote in the pros section of my review for Affinity Designer, the main reason I bought this was for its integration with Affinity Publisher. I’m a writer, and I develop my own books, and I wanted a tool that could help me make them without a costly subscription. In my search for an alternative to Adobe InDesign, I found Affinity Publisher, and that search also led me to its two siblings, Photo and Designer. Having the ability to use Photo’s tools within an app for designing publishing interiors seemed like a no-brainer for me. But that only mattered if I’d actually bought Photo. So I did. And now I use it more than any other tool in my development library. It’s so easy to use, yet has so many tutorials available that even those who find it difficult at first can figure it out soon enough. It has also effectively replaced Corel’s PaintShop Pro as my go-to for inexpensive photo compositing. It’s become the primary reason my book covers look any good now. And the website I’ve been working on since November of last year: all page images come from composites made with Affinity Photo, and my site couldn’t look any better. Affinity Photo makes me look good, and I have no hair. If that’s not enough reason to get it, then the low one-time cost should seal the deal.

Cons

Again, to reiterate my cons from Affinity Designer (and this is fair because they both use the same architecture and share many of the same interface tools), I’m not experienced enough with even higher-end products (like Adobe Photoshop, for example) to make claims about the features they offer that Affinity Photo doesn’t. That said, I do know what I want Photo to do that it can’t do, and what I want it to do is to import Photoshop “actions,” which I think are just macros, so that I can buy the good ones off Design Cuts or some other online design resource and use them in my photos. In other words, I want it to do what Adobe Photoshop can do, but so far it can only do about 80%. That’s plenty, but it’s not everything. I want everything. I also want a pizza. We can’t have everything. (But I can have a pizza.)

Matthew E.

Affinity is a legitimate Photoshop competitor at a fraction of the price and no ongoing costs.

Reviewed on 28/7/2021

Pros

Affinity Photo is a competent alternative to Adobe Photoshop, and one that does so with a cheap initial purchase price and no ongoing subscription costs. I have found that everything I have needed to do in Photoshop can be done in Affinity, however sometimes the workflow is slightly different so taking a short training course it's definitely worth it.

Affinity seems a lot faster and less buggy than Photoshop in a lot of areas. There are also some places in which Affinity Photo is better than Photoshop. For example, Affinity gives a preview of the effect the tool selected will do to the image so you can get it perfect before committing to any modifications. Additionally, having separate personas that you choose depending on what you wish to do to the image helps cut down on clutter and allows you to focus better.

Cons

I haven't experienced any issues with the software, with the only negative being that if you are accustomed to another piece of software it can take some time to adjust. It can be difficult to find tutorials, and unless you are willing to pay money for a course there is a lot of trial and error.

Deborah B.
  • Industry: Arts & Crafts

BEST PRICE, Quality and Ease of Use!

Reviewed on 9/11/2021

I bought this because I was working on a project that needed CMYK and it was taking a few months. The monthly cost of Adobe was annoying. Some months I wasn't even opening the program. Additionally, when I did open it I would need to wait (and wait and wait) for updates.

When I purchased Affinity it was a one-time cost and I still get the updates (which have been less frequent).

Additionally, I had a hard time learning Adobe. I've used GIMP for about 15 years and the only reason I needed Adobe was for the CMYK exported files. Adobe was complicated for me to learn even with a lot of instructions and tutorials over a few months. I was able to quickly learn how to use Affinity the tutorials are succinct and the software is brilliant!

Pros

Price: A One-Time Price (instead of a monthly subscription).
CYMK: This is a required color mode for most professional printing. The settings are simple and the output is gorgeous!
Ease of use: Much easier than Adobe to learn and to use.
Multiple app options (I am using windows desktop) and multiple languages!

Cons

Three Platforms: The primary CON is there are three software programs (Photo, Publisher, and Designer) from this company that are each sold and used separately. The good thing is, now we can toggle between them, seemingly on the fly making it easier to use different features on the same artwork. But, they are still stand-alone when it comes to updates, so each program will need to be updated individually, be sure to update each one when they have updates to download and install.

Harish S.

All in one photo editing and great alternative to other industry leader app.

Reviewed on 11/11/2021

Works with raster and vector images. Layer editing, Strong brush selection and customization for drawing and painting. Affinity Photo is well worth the price!

Pros

Create new graphic images, as well as create SVG, EPS, PSD files. You can import from standard programs, such as Adobe, CSP.. . Have a huge range of export options.

Cons

Not much, would be nice if more free additional resources like brushes, assets.

The best photo editor at one time cost.

Reviewed on 8/6/2021

It was a better alternative for us to reduce costs, since we were previously on a subscription-based tool. We can still manipulate the old psd files.

Pros

Actually very easy to use, and a great alternative to its subscription-based alternatives. It has a lot of features, and you can manipulate psd files without issues.

Cons

Changing over took some time, but once you learn how to use it you won't go back.

Michael H.

A real alternative to Photoshop

Reviewed on 19/10/2021

I’ve been very impressed. If you don’t want to pay into Adobe’s subscription service, this is a real alternative.

Pros

Not having a monthly subscription, the cheap cost, ease of setup. Nearly all Photoshop functions are available for a tiny fraction of the cost. It runs very well on my Mac.

Cons

The documentation can be a bit sparse. Some features of Photoshop aren’t available. Having a simple “Save for Web” function is a big loss.

• Industry: Arts & Crafts

Professional Quality, Budget Friendly Alternative to Photoshop

Reviewed on 31/8/2021

I can edit photos, create and manipulate graphic designs, as well as create SVG files for custom cut files.

Pros

As a long time Photoshop user I was looking for a replacement which would offer me a product with comparable features. Affinity exceeded my expectations and is offered at an amazing price point. Instead of paying a monthly fee I was able to purchase a lifetime license for all the functionality I needed plus some!

Cons

I wish there was a more active support after purchase. While there are videos on youtube, I ended up purchasing the Affinity Photo Workbook (hardcover) to use as a reference. Well worth it and still substantially less expensive than Photoshop.

Reasons for Choosing Affinity Photo

I had an old version of Photoshop and was going to have to switch to the monthly subscription. I didn't want to get stuck with a monthly expense so I began looking for an alternative. Affinity came highly recommended by a colleague.

Reasons for Switching to Affinity Photo

All the features I needed for a one time price rather than an unending monthly expense.

Affordable Photoshop Alternative

Reviewed on 13/9/2021

Pros

I love how Affinity Photo has all of the features that a graphic designer needs to succeed. It has features comparable to that of Photoshop, but it's more affordable.

Cons

I have some issues with patterns. Sometimes there will be a thin line between two objects in a repeating pattern. I looked up the solution to it, but it would be nice if this wasn't an issue at all. It's a minor issue, but still an issue nonetheless.

The best tool for Photo Edition

Reviewed on 25/5/2021

A great software for photo edition, once you get a hold of it you can actually do really amazing photo edition. You can easily play with the layers and the tools to create a great work-

Pros

It is very easy to use and the tools available are very similar to other software tools. The zoom is infinite and helps you with a more detailed edition.

Cons

It can be a bit challenging at first if you are transitioning from another software, but once you get used to it you learn to love it.

Marie C.
  • Industry: Publishing
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

Photoshop Replacement

Reviewed on 27/7/2021

Pros

I like that I can do the basics of Photoshop within this application.

Cons

There is a bit of a learning curve to figure out how to do all the things I was used to doing in Photoshop. The "personas" are a bit confusing for me but I am able to get done what I need to as a cover designer.

Abraham C.
  • Industry: Mining & Metals

Best Alternative for Adobe Photoshop

Reviewed on 2/11/2021

I am very happy and satisfied with Affinity Photo. I will recommend it to everyone I know who needs and uses photo editing software. The price is so cheap and the product is so great!

Pros

What I like the most about Affinity Photo is the price. It is so cheap and works perfectly for my photo editing needs. I am a graphic designer and also a photographer. The first-ever software I used was Adobe Photoshop but as time goes by I feel like I'm paying too much for the software. I looked for an alternative then here comes Affinity Photo. I bought it without hesitation and fell in love instantly! The price is hard to beat and works really well like Photoshop. That's when I decided to ditch Photoshop and learn how to use Affinity Photo.

It's really easy to use if you are already familiar with Photoshop. Everything is pretty much the same. You just need to watch a few tutorial videos then you will be confident enough to play with the tools available.

It's also not resource-hungry. It loads very fast on my mid-end laptop. I also like that they have a mobile app where you can use a stylus pen to brush or paint, but I am more used to using the mouse so I just use it on mobile for fun.

All future updates are also free so you don't have to be worried about getting left behind. Even if they release a new separate version, I will still support and purchase this gem. It can open PSD files so you can import (and also export) your Photoshop files. It was a no-brainer switch for me.

Cons

I wish it supports smart objects. I think this is the only thing missing from this app. I'm not sure about the other features but this is what I noticed when I needed it. I search through the internet and it was indeed not supported. Other than that, everything is excellent!

Tony C.

A Dream Come True

Reviewed on 20/6/2021

I love how each of the Affinity applications work together. I seamlessly move from Designer to Photo and back.

Pros

Affinity Photo offers tremendous value. It is on par with Photoshop in all essential features, and surpasses Photoshop in many features. I love that it has a simple help feature that assists in using each tool. The absolute best feature? The wide assortment of export options.

Cons

Affinity could do a better job in promoting add-ons and feature extensions. I use Photo for work and hobby and I didn't realize it could be used masterfully for astrophotography until I saw a video online.

Neel kamal K.
  • Industry: Graphic Design

An awesome photo editor at a pocket friendly price

Reviewed on 3/11/2021

The Affinity Photo is a great software and very capable in editing photos as well as creating composites. It is serving my purpose very well and runs well on my old laptop with i3 processor.

Pros

The editing capabilities of Affinity Photos are at par with the Adobe Photoshop and it does the job at a much cheaper acquisition cost.

Cons

There is no accompanying mobile app to facilitate editing on the go.

Reasons for Switching to Affinity Photo

Lower cost of ownership and easy on system.
Ivan N.

Amazing Photoshop alternative

Reviewed on 4/7/2021

Very positive and reliable. Cuts out monthly costs and delivers very powerful software.

Pros

Comprehensive Photoshop alternative with feature parity but faster and better export options. Very easy to pickup being an avid Photoshop user for the last decade and the price point makes it an absolute no brainer.

Cons

Nothing so far - there is a bit of a discovery phase to mirror certain actions or functions of Photoshop. Once you get thru that loop, Affinity Photo sits in the same league of the art software.