Windscribe

Browse the web privately as it was meant to be.

4.6/5
4.4/5
4.7/5
4.3/5

Danny
  • Company size: 5,001-10,000 Employees

Excellent software to stay anonymous

Reviewed on 19/9/2019

The experience I've had with windscribe has been positive, my privacy is always protected and I can connect to public Wi-Fi without having to be afraid of hackers. Now I can visit web pages that are blocked in my country and without noticeably slowing down the browsing speed. As the Pro plan is quite accessible, I was able to hire it and benefit from all the tools offered by Windscribe.

Pros

Windscribe has many features that I like, for example, it offers a free plan for new users where you can surf the internet up to 10 Gb of data monthly and with access to 11 countries. As I have the Pro plan (which is quite economical), I can surf the internet safely and unlimitedly, I can connect to more than 60 countries and the speed is really good. Security is strict, I can use Windscribe on my cell phone and also on my laptop simultaneously, that way I am protected from hackers that can steal information. Its interface is excellent very intuitive and easy to understand and the technical support always respond quickly when I have a problem. Without a doubt, a real wonder.

Cons

Windscribe works perfectly, I just wish it had more Latin countries, such as Peru, Ecuador, Venezuela and Panama, since it has very few.

carl
  • Industry: Telecommunications

VPN service with good browsing speed.

Reviewed on 28/7/2019

Excellent software to have more freedom and protection when we are on the Internet. It is effective to avoid the cookies that our metadata and spam collect.

Pros

Internet browsing speed is fast on the main servers offered by Windscribe. It works smoothly when unlocking pages that have streaming subscription.

Cons

In recent months we have experienced drops in the connection that last more than 24 hours. The support service takes many hours to respond. The location of some countries does not match the address and IP indicated by Windscribe.

Response from Windscribe

How these geo-location sites work is they have a database of IP addresses that map to locations. Many of these "ip checker websites" have very outdated databases, so it may still be showing IP location from many years ago. IPs get transferred from host to host all the time, so the IP of that particular server must have been in the detected country in the past.

Our servers are physically in locations that they are claimed to be in, you can verify this empirically by performing a traceroute to the server itself.

"Drops in connection" relate to your ISP. All VPN servers are independent, if one goes down there are others to pick up the slack.

Candace
  • Industry: Computer Hardware
  • Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

Windscribe is an open source VPN!

Reviewed on 22/4/2018

The benefits of using Windscribe include being able to protect IP address while surfing the web. Other benefits of using Windscribe include disabling internet connectivity. Additional benefits of using Windscribe include three diverse monthly plans that unlock locations and IP addresses. Benefits of using Windscribe include being provided 1.7 GB of none chargeable data. Overall, companies such as PayPal and American Express trust the brand or company.

Pros

Windscribe is an open source VPN. Windscribe selects a random IP address for the user. Windscribe is available for Windows or MacBook operating systems. Windscribe offers various features such as an extension for any web browser. Windscribe is only 42.5 MB in file size. Windscribe allows user to select LAN traffic with firewall available.

Cons

Windscribe can allow users to enable proxy gateway. Windscribe launches on start up but user can modify within preferences. Windscribe interrupts the natural server or internet connection. Windscribe online account remains logged in as the user after two days of accessing the account and turning off the application. Windscribe maintains payment information and usernames as well as email addresses after discontinuing services.

Tim
  • Industry: Transportation/Trucking/Railroad

Windscribe is an affordable, powerful VPN for safe, anonymous browsing!

Reviewed on 9/10/2018

Overall this is a solid, powerful VPN that has a lot of great features for a fraction of the price of most other VPN clients. If you can get a subscription on sale, it's an even better value. I definitely recommend Windscribe!

Pros

I managed to get a lifetime subscription on sale for this software, so I like the price for the features this software offers! This VPN is easy to install and use, and Windscribe doesn't keep logs so I don't have to worry about my browsing information being shared by others. It offers many different VPN connections so you can adjust as needed, should one of the connections be slow.

Cons

The only downside of this software is the frequent updates it needs, but it's more of an annoyance than a flaw. My lifetime subscription also requires that I log into the website every 10 years or so to keep it active, but that's another minor annoyance.

Orlando
  • Company size: 5,001-10,000 Employees

A very fast VPN

Reviewed on 17/9/2019

I have been using Windscribe for 2 years and it has worked perfectly. I have the Pro version and that way I can surf the internet safely and unlimitedly. The cost of membership is very economical and if I pay the annual plan I get much cheaper.

Pros

I like several things about Windscribe. First, I can use it for free. It's really good because it hides the IP perfectly and allows me to enter pages that have restrictions for my country. In addition, security matters a lot to me and with Windscribe I feel protected and I can also use it on my cell phone. As for the connection, Windscribe is very fast, I can connect to the server you want in a few seconds. The cost of the monthly membership has an affordable price. I really like its interface too.

Cons

I would like it to have more Latin countries, such as Peru, Venezuela, Chile, Ecuador, Costa Rica, Honduras, etc. Everything else is excellent.

Amir
  • Industry: Graphic Design

Windscribe Impact as a VPN

Reviewed on 1/9/2022

I've been using it for a long time, maybe 4-5 years. Unfortunately I ain't planning to renew my subscription anymore because it can't hide your identity enough on internet.

Pros

Windsribe has a neat UI, you can almost figure out what's going on. Windscribe VPN protocols is higher than most of VPNs, also gives you different ports to try. There is many location to connect.

Cons

There is no ping refresh option in the PC app so you can't refresh and see fresh pings to diffrent servers. For doing that, you must completely close and reopen the app. There no way to connect to a location which is unavailable for you.

Kim

Great VPN for Marketers

Reviewed on 22/3/2019

I use Windscribe to test geo settings in marketing. Often times, you need to set up different flows for different countries. This tool will help you check if the geo settings are correct.

I also use it a lot while traveling, both to secure my IP when accessing hotspots, but also to connect to NetFlix for entertainment. Same goes for reading local news from abroad, one of my favorite publications is blocking a lot of content for foreign users.

Pros

It has a huge range of countries you can use to connect the VPN.

Connection is usually fast and trouble free.

It has an IP-lock that will block traffic until your VPN connection is running, it will also block the traffic if the VPN accidentally drops out. This is a great way to protect your real IP, even in case there is a hickup.

It has servers that will bypass NetFlix VPN check. These are named Windflix in the server list. If you travel a lot, this is a great feature.

Cons

I do not have any particular dislikes about Windscribe. The only thing I can think of, is the frequent updates. Each update, requires you to download the installation file, close down Windscribe and then run the installation. I would have liked it to auto-update in the background. That way, I would not have to do this myself before I can use the software every other time.

Kerby
  • Industry: Consumer Services

When security is a must.

Reviewed on 17/12/2019

I love this product i have it installed on all my devices. It's my always on VPN on my phone. Wouldn't trade it.

Pros

This product is absolutely amazing. Works on just about any platform. Some of the best security available and fits into any budget.

Cons

My only problem is that there's not more servers. It has a great choice i just wish there was more location specific servers.

Joysurjya
  • Industry: Leisure, Travel & Tourism

Brilliant in terms of Speed and Cost - Great Alternative to NordVPN

Reviewed on 29/2/2020

I primarily started using windscribe when I shifted to a Macbook air. I was already using TunnelBear and found it pricey. I tried out the free version of Windscribe and stuck with it since because the monthtly quota on the free version was a lot more than what Tunnel Bear offered. Although sometimes the speeds can reduce by a large margin, I still continue to use windscribe because it's simple.

Pros

1. Even on the free version, the monthly data quota which you get while using Windscribe is a lot more than most other 'Free' VPNs.
2. It is really user friendly. Just install, select location and turn it on and you are up and running.
3. Supports multiple platforms. I use it on my Windows PC, my macbook air and my android smartphone as well.

Cons

1. Some servers although listed as the best possible one, reduce speeds by a large margin.
2. A lot of the regular servers don't unlock Netflix regions. So if you're looking to access the US or UK netflix, you might have to look elsewhere.

NordVPN
Sevinc
  • Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

Secure and Effective VPN Service

Reviewed on 11/4/2022

This is an effective VPN service with high speed and many available regions, I recommend it.

Pros

This software has some positive aspects that I would like to emphasize. First, as I know this software available for all regions ( mostly everyone can use it ). Second, this software has almost all important and available region servers to join. Third, even though there are many servers that are premium, you can still use several other free servers.

Cons

Many essential regions are not available for free use.

The best vpn

Reviewed on 9/10/2019

I feel safer when using Windscribe to search on the internet. It is easy to use and I don’t need to lose time on setups.

Pros

It is easy to use. There is a little humor on the communications. Set up an account is easy. You can use any of the standard plans or build your own custom plan - depending on what you need, it could be really cheap.

Cons

Really don’t see any cons in this software. Although I guess the iPhone app could be improved, sometimes it crashes. But for desktop computers, Windscribe is great.

NordVPN

Reasons for Choosing Windscribe

Better service, better price.

TunnelBear

Reasons for Switching to Windscribe

Price.

My favortie VPN on the list

Reviewed on 28/10/2019

Simply awesome the ui is good, the connection is fast, the speed is top notch, plenty of locations to choose from, etc just say a nice location they don't have in thier list but on top of all the support is outstanding.

Pros

Seriously, there is not even a function i can say i don't like or don't use, there is ROBERT and autopilot that can connect to a nearest server with best connectivity in real time, manual server selection is so wide sometimes i feel its much more advanced then any other VPN services out there. Been using it since 2 years with no complaints so far better then any other i have used till now.

Cons

nothing, simply there is nothing i don't like, but if i have to say i would say its much more advanced and much more useful then its competitors sometime its feel like ruling and not giving them any chance to grow at all.

• Industry: Online Media

An Underrated VPN

Reviewed on 1/12/2021

Overall my experience with Windscribe has been overly positive. For the first year I used my 60 gigabytes of free data per month without much problem. Unfortunately that case may not be the same as yours, and you may only have a maximum of 30 gigabytes of free data per month, but the packages that you can build are very versatile for any income. As of right now I'm paying $2/month for unlimited data for VPN which is a great price.

Pros

One of the things I liked about this software is just how simple it is to use. I created an account, installed the program and with one click of a button it did what I needed it to do. It's as easy as flipping a switch, because that's exactly all that was needed to get it to work. It's also free to download and create an account, and on top of that I was given the chance to get more gigabytes of data by doing small things like adding a phone number or referring people. I have about 60 gigabytes of data to use every month without spending a penny. But it's also fairly cheap compared to most VPNs. You can build your own plan as cheap as $2/month for unlimited data usage.

Cons

What I liked least about this software is its limited data usage. Normally you would get about 20 gigabytes of data per month for a free account. There's also few worldwide servers to connect to for a free account, only one or two Canadian and American servers.

Securely surf the net even in repressive areas

Reviewed on 6/8/2019

Pros

It works even in regions where VPNs don't, I was in an asian country that has this thing against VPNs and it was just working, was in Zimbabwe and social networks and VPNs were once blocked and it was still working so that's definitely great
Their free data is great and the unlimited data is much better
It's still just as fast unlik some connections that slow down when it's vpn
No configuration hassles just username and password and you good to go
This is besides the point but I like the memes they send in their emails lol

Cons

At time the firewall the blocks traffic can just turn on while I'm not connected and I can spend a bit of time not knowing why my browser keeps saying Blocked Access
My PC would crash when I'd turn it on, on a network with Sophos equipment, I don't know why... maybe it was a Wifi drivers thing also.

If you are on a data cap, expect to have them reset it early

Reviewed on 3/2/2019

Pros

Windscribe provides decent VPN speeds and an easy to use Mac OS widget. They claim to keep no logs, but I haven't researched heavily into their log retention policies and practices. If you refer friends, they will increase the data cap that you currently have (if you are not unlimited)

Cons

For data cap plans, they often reset the data counter well before the end of the month (sometimes 5 days before). This is a bummer if you were planning on utilizing the remaining data in your cap space the last 5 days of the month only to find that you are now reducing the next months data. Additionally, they are located in California, USA, which can be a cause for concern for privacy minded individuals.

Response from Windscribe

We are not based in California, we're in Toronto, Canada.

As for the caps, you can always upgrade to a paid plan, which has no caps.

Richard
  • Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

Powerful VPN software for both Phone and PC.

Reviewed on 10/9/2021

I really like the application, it runs well, doesn't crash. It has good quality updates. I'm a fan of Winscribe and would struggle to move to another VPN,

Pros

I like both the phone app and pc software. Both applications are feature packed and do a fabulous job. It is always quick to connect and reliable. It has a good list of countries to hide your location behind. It has a well designed UI, no adverts and wasn't expensive at all. Then again, I purchased this when it was a brand new release and relatively unknown. I got a lifetime licence for hardly any cost.

Cons

I can only think of one feature that I would like to see added into this program, the ability to allow the application to select a random country to connect to.

Fidel
  • Industry: Oil & Energy

Great VPN

Reviewed on 6/11/2019

I have been using Windscribe for the past year and so far I am very satisfied it's a really good VPN at a very competitive price.

Pros

Windscribe is one of the best VPN in the market with a good selection of servers to choose from, their mobile app is really good and easy to use.

Cons

Although they have a great mobile and Windows app, they only offer a command-line utility for Linux systems.

Solomon

Windscribe VPN Review

Reviewed on 14/12/2020

I love Windscribe vpn and it use it daily.

Pros

Windscribe Vpn is a great vpn. It is fast and secure. It has servers that are dedicated for streaming and unblocks geo-restricted content and yes it still works with Netflix. It can also work with hulu and disney plus. Another great feature is that it now has the wireguard protocol which is secure and very. Fast. Windscribe is also relatively cheap compared to other vpns on the market.

Cons

The only negative i could think about is the interface. It could be designed a bit better as it maybe complicated for some people to understand.

Je-vaughn
  • Industry: Airlines/Aviation

Great software would recommend

Reviewed on 11/7/2021

Pros

Windscribe is an overall great software, I like the fact that it’s fast, it makes accessing restrict website/data very easy. It’s overall the best software for privacy. It’s a daily use for me!

Cons

Even though it’s generally a fast software it makes my browser slower sometimes, however it’s not very often.

• Industry: Recreational Facilities & Services

Outstanding VPN with excellent free option

Reviewed on 3/1/2020

Great VPN to ensure internet privacy with a comprehensive free option as well as additional paid services.

Pros

Unlike most VPNs, Windscribes free subscription does have a full VPN. This VPN integrates seamlessly into normal internet use, although it doesn't work with some streaming services. Additionally, the Windscribe staff are incredibly funny and send humorous emails frequently.

Cons

Although uncommon, certain streaming services, such as netflix, do not seem to work with Windscribe.

Jeff

Top VPN Top Support

Reviewed on 25/1/2019

This wasn't solving a problem other than feeling like I can browse the Internet without someone tracking and/or knowing exactly what I was doing. The privacy is worth the membership.

Pros

I really like how the creator Yegor is still very much involved with the product. It isn't very often that you can get one on one support from the creator of a product. This is the best VPN I have used. I also appreciate how upfront Yegor and the team is on their privacy policies.

Cons

I had to really think about this, but the only thing I could think of is maybe improve/update the documentation a bit. This is really just a nit pick though.

Ryan

The VPN that's worth switching to.

Reviewed on 25/1/2019

I have felt a lot more secure using this service while also enjoying the ability to check other sites.

Pros

Simplicity, prices, speeds, ways to pay and the anonymity while using the service.

Cons

The "mine for upgrades" method used for buying premium.

Andrea

Absolutely amazing!

Reviewed on 11/4/2018

Pros

Working as a freelancer or working overseas sometimes makes it difficult to do your work effectively because of the distance. Windscribe helps me do my job as good as I was working right there at the office.

Cons

It's so hard to describe how much it helps you. It's so useful and easy to use. You really don't need to be an expert to use it and gives you great results!!

O. Kelvin

The Best VPN So Far

Reviewed on 20/11/2018

Windscribe enables me to connect all my devices simultaneously, there's no limit to the amount of devices you can connect. This is one thing I really love about Windscribe.

Pros

I currently use Windscribe for all my devices, VPN usage has never been this easier for me.

It connects easily on all my devices, my internet connection speed remains fast, I surf all pages flawlessly.

I have even went on to recommend windscribe to my students.

Keep up the good work.

Cons

Nothing really, but it won't be bad if we have more servers.

If you need a simple VPN service you should check Windscribe

Reviewed on 26/7/2019

I don't use a VPN in a daily basis, only in some ocasions when I'm out using a public connection, so I needed something that had a good free plan (decent speed and a good quota) and after testing a few VPN services, this was the one that best fitted those needs.

Pros

The servers in the free plan have a decent speed/quota for a normal browsing (you can even download torrents if you need), supports a strong stack of security protocols and it has a really user-friendly application, available for the most common platforms.

Cons

So far I have had no problems with the service whatsoever, but when I was looking for a VPN service I found something to keep in mind: it is based from Canada, so there's a chance they are forced to give away your information to the government. The chances are slim, but they exist. For my occasional use I found that to be acceptable.