OpenShot Video Editor Reviews

Write a Review!
Free and open-source video editing software!

4.5/5

Annam
  • Industry: Insurance

The Best and Open-Source Video Editing Software

Reviewed on 6/4/2020

My overall experience with OpenShot Video Editor is really outstanding because I have used the software for my personal projects. I really like the 3D animations which I usually apply in my projects. Especially I need slow motion in my video projects, so I easily add slow motion in the videos. Sometimes I also create title in the beginning of the videos. So I really like this simple and incredible video editing software. Once i apply the transitions, then i preview the video before the export process.

Pros

Openshot is really awesome and a professional video editing software. The most important thing that it is completely free. The interface of this software is really easy to understand and use. All panels are really fabulous. You can simply import the files then you can drag and drop the files in your timeline. Then using effects and transitions you can apply a hundered of beautiful transitions. You can easily trim your exisiting videos or if you want to edit audio you can also edit the audio or sound. You can add unlimited layers.

Cons

According to my experience, we can find all video editing features, tools and options in the OpenShot Video editor. So as per my point of view, every features and use of this software is awseome. Only if we find more external plugins or modules that will be really awesome. Here plugins means, like we will able to apply more new transitions and effects. All other options are outstanding.

Iqra
Iqra

The best and Professional Video Editor

Reviewed on 16/6/2020

Video editing is the need for our business because we have to make videos regarding the content and work of our business. So I always compose and make videos in OpenShot Video Editor. There are lots of reasons, the first reason it is free and open-source. Second, the dashboard, panels, and all features are really easy to use.

Pros

OpenShot Video editor allows you to make stunning and fabulous videos. You can import the content like images and videos in your composition. Then you can apply lots of different beautiful transitions and effects. You can add as many layers as you want. The software allows you to export the video with different formats and options.

Cons

For my personal and business needs, OpenShot Video Editor always helped me and I never faced any kind of issue during the use of this software. Especially it is free. So according to me, there are no cons. Everything of OpenShot Video Editor is awesome.

Géovanny
Géovanny
  • Industry: Graphic Design

The free and intuitive video editing solution for all levels

Reviewed on 16/2/2023

Pros

As an Openshot user, I can say that there are several advantages to this video editing software. First of all, its free nature makes it a popular choice for beginners or users with a limited budget. Second, Openshot is relatively easy to use, thanks to its intuitive user interface and smooth learning curve. In addition, it offers a variety of editing tools, visual effects and transitions to customize my videos. Finally, Openshot is available on multiple platforms, including Windows, Mac and Linux, making it accessible to a wide community of users

Cons

Openshot can sometimes be unstable and can crash or close unexpectedly, which can be frustrating if you're working on a large project. Also, its range of features is not as extensive as some of the more advanced video editing software, which can limit its capabilities for more complex projects. Finally, although the Openshot community is active and often provides updates, support can be limited compared to more popular and commercial video editing solutions. Despite these drawbacks, I find Openshot to still be an excellent choice for beginner to intermediate users looking for a simple, free video editing solution.

Farhan
Farhan
  • Industry: Transportation/Trucking/Railroad
  • Company size: 1,001–5,000 Employees

Open-source and Award Winning Free Video Editing Software

Reviewed on 14/6/2020

For me, OpenShot is really important. Because I always create my business videos using the OpenShot software. Especially I apply slow motion and different animations to my videos. So my overall experience with this software is outstanding.

Pros

OpenShot is an open-source and award winning free video editing software. You can create stunning and beautiful videos using different professional transitions and effects. The software is really easy to understand and use. You can use different video and audio layers. There are lots of video effects you can apply to your videos.

Cons

According to my experience, there should be more 3d animations and transitions for the beginners. No doubt, we have thousands of good animations, transitions and effects in the software. But some few more 3d transitions will be awesome.

Jeff
Jeff

OpenShot Hits The Target

Reviewed on 31/12/2021

We're able to provide a Sunday morning service to our shut-ins parishioners or those who couldn't make the service in person. Since we started a few years ago, this has been a great method of outreach.

Pros

My favorite aspect about OpenShot Video Editor is it's simplicity of use. I am the Tech Advisor at our church but also the volunteer editor of the weekly services. I am using OpenShot in hopes that one day another parishioner will step up and assist. I don't think it will be difficult to train them on this Editor program once they use it once or twice.

Cons

Perhaps it's my machine but I wish that it would render / export the video quicker. I've gotten the process down to where I do other things during this period (about 3 hours / hour of video), but for the price you can't go wrong.

VSDC Video Editor

Reasons for Switching to OpenShot Video Editor

Price and ease of use.
Architecte

Reviewed on 27/10/2022

OpenShot Video Editor is one of the best video editing software in good quality

OpenShot Video Editor is one of the best video editing software in good quality

Pros

Good software for good video editing of very good quality that I really enjoyed. It is a good software

Cons

Actually, the editing is very easy, and the videos are of very good quality

Ibrahima Sory

Reviewed on 10/11/2022

Good video editing software with very good performance OpenShot Video Editor

Good video editing software with very good performance OpenShot Video Editor

Pros

More than two years I use this famous software to edit my videos, it is a very good software

Cons

Everything is going very well with no worries, the performance is better

Ousmane

Reviewed on 26/11/2022

OpenShot Video Editor is very nice for editing a video with better image quality

Pros

I have never seen a better video editing software than OpenShot Video Editor. This software surprised me a lot with its quality and speed, it is a very good tool

Cons

Honestly, it is a simple and easy to use software without any problem

Michael
  • Industry: Religious Institutions

OpenShot is easy to use but limited

Reviewed on 7/7/2020

We were using this to put together instructional videos for YouTube. We were able to get the file ready for uploading, but once we wanted to overlay PowerPoint slides on the green screen things became more complicated and not as usable as we wanted.

Pros

The learning curve is very easy on this software! I was up and running within an hour without much research or instruction. Very easy and intuitive, very mouse driven, graphically driven, not pull-down driven.

Cons

The ability to do basic editing is great but there is not a lot more to do. If you need only basic editing it is so incredible easy!! Overlays, text can be done but are not as flexible as I wanted. Tried adding an overlay but it tried splitting the file to fit it in.
Did more research and found out better way to make it work but it was not as intuitive as I wanted.
Was going to recommend to a friend, but after the editing experience I decided to recommend something for flexible and powerful. I have gone back and forth with the software. I love the ease of use but the limitations are troubling.

Shotcut
Leah
  • Industry: Arts & Crafts

OpenShot Video Editor - the quick and easy place to go to learn video editing.

Reviewed on 7/4/2022

Have been using it to make quick and dirty videos with a high quality result for over 2 years now, and it's still one of those "I can just do it here" tools I reach for easily.

Pros

OpenShot is quick to download and install, and easy to use - I really like it as an inexpensive and quickly functional piece of my toolkit that clients can use during reviews of their results as well.

Cons

It was a bit non-intuitive to learn how the interface works at first, but when all else failed, I read the instructions, and things got a lot clearer a lot quicker.

Reasons for Switching to OpenShot Video Editor

It was the least expensive.
Moussa

Reviewed on 29/9/2022

OpenShot Video Editor is a better tool for creating good quality videos

OpenShot Video Editor is a better tool for creating good quality videos

Pros

For good quality YouTube videos, I tried OpenShot Video Editor and found it very great. It's easy to use and the videos are of good quality

Cons

My videos are of good quality and then the use is very easy and fast which I have no problem for the moment

Souaibou
  • Company size: 5,001–10,000 Employees

Openshot review

Reviewed on 30/10/2022

Pros

The software is free and easy to use. And even if the features are outdated, it allows you to edit not-so-bad videos

Cons

Lack of cutting means with viewing and exporting videos takes time

miracle
  • Industry: Arts & Crafts

Best video editor compared to others

Reviewed on 5/2/2023

OpenShot Video Editor is a great choice for anyone looking for a free, yet powerful video editing software. Its user-friendly interface and wide range of features make it a great option for beginner and advanced video editors alike.

Pros

User-friendly interface: OpenShot Video Editor has an intuitive and straightforward timeline interface, making it easy for users to manipulate video clips and add different elements to their projects.

Cons

stability issues when using OpenShot Video Editor, such as crashes or freezes while working on a project.

Gnankoye

Reviewed on 8/11/2022

OpenShot Video Editor is really nice for video editing

OpenShot Video Editor is really nice for video editing

Pros

Thank you very much OpenShot Video Editor, I was very confused in editing my videos, but this software has solved all my worries

Cons

Honestly, I was convinced without any problem

Cedric
  • Industry: Banking

Openshot

Reviewed on 23/10/2022

Pros

For me it's one of the best software to make a video it's easy to use and the quality of the videos is incredible

Cons

No drawbacks I use it frequently and I haven't found any

Boukary

Arguably the best video editing software.

Reviewed on 14/9/2022

Pros

Openshot is the best video editing software. It is simple and practical and moreover less expensive. The synchronization of videos is very simple and the audio mixing too

Cons

Really nothing to say on this point, the software is extremely efficient

Debjit

Opensource video editor with cloud and api capability.

Reviewed on 28/11/2018

If you are experimenting and want a completely free/ open-source solution for your video editing solution this software is for you. I just update it to my KVM VPS and I have a cloud editor all by myself. The feature is simple, effects are not that impressive but it workes.

Pros

This is the most awesome piece of software for videos editing. I just install it to a VM and use the app to convert/create/edit video using its api. Just awesome. I have also tried the desktop version with GT710 my entry level card and its output was smooth. Playback for 1080/30fps is just smooth and doesn't take many resources. As it is an Opensource and community-driven software I can use it for free and for anything. Some transactions effects and sound channels. It is still its first stage and evolving rapidly.

Cons

As it is an Open-source software I have to wait if got any problem or find my own solutions for it. The effects are limited due to no team is developing them.

Rafay
  • Industry: Graphic Design

Easy and Effective for video editing

Reviewed on 12/4/2021

Pros

It's really effective and easy to use. Really helped me a lot in making creative videos by using its effects and other features. Just WOW!!

Cons

Not at all. Everything is really awesome!

Sneh
  • Industry: Law Practice
  • Company size: 1,001–5,000 Employees

Smart video editor

Reviewed on 2/7/2023

Overall it has been a great experience during our period of usage.

Overall it has been a great experience during our period of usage.

Pros

I truly like the way OpenShot Video Editor allows us to easily edit different video formats with just a few clicks.

Cons

It doesn't freeze so ofte, therefore we are extremely happy with the feature set and do not have negative sentiments.

Emanuele
  • Used for 2+ years

A useful tool for linux

Reviewed on 6/11/2019

It's free and it provides basic useful functions to simple edit your videos, but don't push your requests too far...

Pros

This software is free and is available for linux. You can learn quickly how to use it, as it's very intuitive. There are basic functions that let you edit your videos, merge, cut, and many other available operations

Cons

Beware, use only with short videos!
Every time I use this software with long videos (in my experience 5+ minutes) get ready for a frustrating experience with the timeline... it seems that the displayed time doesn't always correspond to the same frame...

George Rex
George Rex
  • Used for 1+ year

A Free Video Editor that Delivers

Reviewed on 24/4/2021

Openshot is not bad after all. I was able to do a video with some great quality. Openshot can serve where others may be too expensive and/or not available.

Pros

Openshot is an open-source video editor, making it completely free to use for a simple video editing project. It's pretty easy to use as well, mostly drag and drop with some infusion of inbuilt effects and transitions.

Cons

Openshot cannot yet comfortably compete with the industry bigwigs because it still lacks cinematic sophistications like video stabilization and unlimited motion tracking. Sometimes it shuts down abruptly when you're working with bigger files.

Jayla
  • Industry: Arts & Crafts

App Is Amazing for YouTube!

Reviewed on 23/3/2020

Nice movie maker, it reminds me of past Windows Movie Makers. I say some features should be updated once in a while but other than that I will keep using this app. Reminds me of Video Pad only better with rending videos.

Pros

The software is best for cutting and editing videos for YouTube, has effects for transition and overlaps files easy without over heating. No watermarks and free! Very thankful this app is available!
Looks like a bad program at first glance but I'd give it a "open shot" Try it out! More people need to know about this program! I use this for YouTube videos when I need to make quick update videos.

Cons

Not a lot of features for music or free backgrounds but thats not an issue at all. I wish the looks was updated more to look less like early 2000s but the program is very useful.

Ismaël
Ismaël
  • Industry: Design

Software for editing videos

Reviewed on 19/12/2022

Very good video editing tool to recommend for all editors

Very good video editing tool to recommend for all editors

Pros

Easy to use and simple above all effective (transitions, animations, interfaces, etc.)

Cons

Except that the video sometimes loses sound on my pc, everything is perfect

Its Free, Simple and Comprehensive

Reviewed on 5/2/2020

I am majorly using micro user guides and it has been super effective. I started using this about 3 months ago and no major roadblock till now. It's great!

Pros

I love the fact that Openshot can be used for free on any operating systems. I am using it on Linux. It serves multiple purposes. You can edit videos, add tracks, add transitions and export a High Quality Mp4 very easily. You can pretty much do everything a paid video editor allows.

Cons

So, when you are playing a video after adding your desired tracks and cropping the videos, the track stutters and looks low quality. However, once you export the video, it seems to be perfectly fine. I didn't realise that fact until I actually exported the video. Overall, it's a great tool.

Sashana
  • Industry: Cosmetics
  • Used for 1-5 months

Very Beginner Friendly

Reviewed on 28/1/2021

I have really enjoyed using Openshot. I have recommended it to friends and I'd recommend it to anyone, especially beginners or persons who don't want to invest in an over-the-top video editor.

Pros

Everything is very easy to use. It can be used effectively by both beginners and professionals.
For a first-time user, it will not be hard to navigate the software without help from Youtube videos or websites. I watched some videos on how to use the software and I quickly realized how straightforward everything is. The labels are accurate and the pull-down and pop-up menus aren't overcrowded.
I love Openshot's features as well. Its features include, but are not limited to, color correction, visual and audio effects, titles, filters and (my personal favorite) unlimited layering. I love it.

Cons

I love Openshot Video Editor. I've been using it to edit my videos for Instagram and it's just a breeze. However, I'm really missing the chroma key (green screen) feature. If I could use green screen effectively on Openshot, everything would be absolutely perfect.