OpenShot Video Editor

4.2/5

86 Software options

Gabriella N.
  • Industry: Mining & Metals

A great video editor that needs a 'splash'

Reviewed on 18/1/2021

I enjoy using OpenShot, but it would be great if they added a splash screen and a notification window?
It works well and competes favorably with similar programs, even with paid programs, given that it is free.
Its performance is good overall but I have found that the processor you use plays a role.

Pros

OpenShot is a great video editor, I have been using it for over two years now. Its option to separate sound from video in an imported and loaded clip is very good. I use this feature quite a bit and I have not experienced any errors or problems with it. I also like how after separating out the sound I can either remove it or edit it.
Another feature that stands out is the razor tool, it makes removing unwanted sections easy. Bringing the remaining clips together is even easier, you just drag and drop, this is something I have found to be a bit messy with other programs.

I like how it's not too heavy, I have successfully ran it on an entry-level processor. It would occasionally slow down to load, but the plus here was that it would not crash and I wouldn't lose my work. However, I would be amiss if I did not mention that the processor you use makes a difference!

Cons

The issue that I have or perhaps an ask to OpenShot is that they add a splash screen to show that the editor is starting as well as a notification window that asks you to confirm if you want to open more than one instance.
When starting OpenShot it's often not clear whether it's opening or not. I tend to end up with several windows open. Then it becomes a mission to close the extra windows and then wait a bit before starting work to see if there will be more windows opening up.

Adding a splash screen and a notification window would be quite helpful, it would save time & effort and eliminate any frustrations!

Nicholas K.
  • Industry: Consumer Goods

OpenShot Video Editor Great Aid to Business For Creating YouTube Videos

Reviewed on 3/6/2020

We got OpenShot because we were so frustrated with the cost of Camtasia. We may add that program back to our software arsenal, but for now are very happy with OpenShot.
As a company, we created a YouTube video channel and we are creating content for that channel. OpenShot is very easy to use to create those videos. Our goal is 2 per day for the first 60 days. We would do more, but we run 4 or more tracks per video and the save process for export is time-consuming.

Pros

It shows the whole functioning video creation process on one screen and has very easy access for multiple tracks. For me, this is a must. I want to see all of my tracks or at least have easy access to preview them. OpenShot has a little preview screen so you can preview what you are making as you go, frame by frame if necessary.
At first, I had my doubts about this software as a video editor because I had trouble figuring out how to do certain tasks. I quickly found YouTube video tutorials by the program creator that make it so easy. I'm still experimenting and look for video tutorials to learn to do things right when I want to try new things. My newest endeavor is exploring the many transitions offered.
The program allows us to align frames on each track to make seamless videos.
I'm sure we have not even hit the halfway point of learning other benefits we will eventually use.

Cons

Easy to set up video tracks, frames, etc, but this program takes a long time to Export videos so we can then upload them to YouTube. We actually have learned to open other windows to work with while it is exporting video. Otherwise, we cannot minimize during this process and it impedes us from other work.

Camtasia

Reasons for Switching to OpenShot Video Editor

Price and ease of use. The learning curve is much easier
Nisar A.
  • Industry: Media Production

OpenShot, The Best Free Yet Loaded Video Editor

Reviewed on 18/10/2021

Being a Youtube vlogger, I use OpenShot extensively for editing my videos and to apply voice overs. I love it for its ease of use and availability of all useful tools. Apart from vlogging, I also use it to experiment with advanced video effects which is quite fun. It used to work very slow but after I upgraded my computer system, it now works very well.

Pros

OpenShot is one of the best video editing software, and its ease of use allows new users to utilize it to its full potential. It is an open source software and is completely free to use yet. It is compatible with all major audio and video formats and can give output any where in the range from 360p to 4k video quality. It is supported by all computer operating systems. It supports drag and drop feature which makes it easy to combine video clips, images and audio together or to separate audio files from a video or adjust the audio settings along with scaling the video by merely dragging it. You can also resize and adjust the quality of a video in it. Along with that it features hundreds of effects that you can apply to your videos. Apart from adding 3D animations and overlays, it also supports chroma keying thus enabeling you to alter the background extensively. OpenShot developers also constantly release updates thus keeping it up to date. To sum up, this video editor serves the purpose of everyone, from youtube and facebook vloggers to professional video editors.

Cons

OpenShot sometimes encounter to freeze or auto quit while processing heavey files like 4k videos in Microsoft Windows. Also they need to make its interface more pleasant on eyes as it has not changed from quite a lot of time.

Cristhian josue J.
  • Industry: Design

Openshot, the free video editor that everyone should try

Reviewed on 6/9/2021

Openshot is a fantastic tool, I like it very much, it fulfills very well the function of being a free and competitive video editor, it allows us to do almost everything related to post-production, to a greater or lesser extent, but we can do it.

If you want to create simple videos, this is a good option

Pros

One point I really like about Openshot is that it's free... just kidding.

This video editor allows us to create infinite layers, something that I personally like a lot because I usually used multiple layers, sometimes by the need of the project or simply to have a working order in my timeline.

In my opinion, this video editor is a good tool for those who like me some time ago, only want to create simple montages with good quality, "Openshot" satisfies me, it's light and any PC can run it, even the editing in this video editor is done nicely, I like it.

Cons

Openshot looks very antiquated in some aspects, it has 3D animations but they look like they come out of PowerPoint or some version of windows 2000.

This video editor can't compete in the graphical aspect with other free editors, let alone paid software or software focused on 3D designs. Simply Openshot isn't an option if you want to use or create animations in your video editor.

Farhan B.
  • Industry: Transportation/Trucking/Railroad
  • Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

Open-source and Award Winning Free Video Editing Software

Reviewed on 14/6/2020

For me, OpenShot is really important. Because I always create my business videos using the OpenShot software. Especially I apply slow motion and different animations to my videos. So my overall experience with this software is outstanding.

Pros

OpenShot is an open-source and award winning free video editing software. You can create stunning and beautiful videos using different professional transitions and effects. The software is really easy to understand and use. You can use different video and audio layers. There are lots of video effects you can apply to your videos.

Cons

According to my experience, there should be more 3d animations and transitions for the beginners. No doubt, we have thousands of good animations, transitions and effects in the software. But some few more 3d transitions will be awesome.

Michael A.
  • Industry: Religious Institutions

OpenShot is easy to use but limited

Reviewed on 7/7/2020

We were using this to put together instructional videos for YouTube. We were able to get the file ready for uploading, but once we wanted to overlay PowerPoint slides on the green screen things became more complicated and not as usable as we wanted.

Pros

The learning curve is very easy on this software! I was up and running within an hour without much research or instruction. Very easy and intuitive, very mouse driven, graphically driven, not pull-down driven.

Cons

The ability to do basic editing is great but there is not a lot more to do. If you need only basic editing it is so incredible easy!! Overlays, text can be done but are not as flexible as I wanted. Tried adding an overlay but it tried splitting the file to fit it in.
Did more research and found out better way to make it work but it was not as intuitive as I wanted.
Was going to recommend to a friend, but after the editing experience I decided to recommend something for flexible and powerful. I have gone back and forth with the software. I love the ease of use but the limitations are troubling.

Shotcut
Sashana B.
  • Industry: Cosmetics

Very Beginner Friendly

Reviewed on 28/1/2021

I have really enjoyed using Openshot. I have recommended it to friends and I'd recommend it to anyone, especially beginners or persons who don't want to invest in an over-the-top video editor.

Pros

Everything is very easy to use. It can be used effectively by both beginners and professionals.
For a first-time user, it will not be hard to navigate the software without help from Youtube videos or websites. I watched some videos on how to use the software and I quickly realized how straightforward everything is. The labels are accurate and the pull-down and pop-up menus aren't overcrowded.
I love Openshot's features as well. Its features include, but are not limited to, color correction, visual and audio effects, titles, filters and (my personal favorite) unlimited layering. I love it.

Cons

I love Openshot Video Editor. I've been using it to edit my videos for Instagram and it's just a breeze. However, I'm really missing the chroma key (green screen) feature. If I could use green screen effectively on Openshot, everything would be absolutely perfect.

Great software for a novice to making videos

Reviewed on 7/4/2020

Very thoughtful creation.

Pros

I love the first tutorials that take you step by step to create a video. It is really user-friendly interface. In addition, the drag and drop features are so accessible.

Cons

There seem to be short of different animation functions. Also, you cannot create other type of cinematic effects.

Ilfad L.
  • Industry: Design

OpenShot is easy for beginners

Reviewed on 10/2/2021

I use it for edit videos of my video games gameplays.

Pros

OpenShot is really easy to use and understand for beginners and advanced users also, is really easy to edit videos on OpenShot.

Cons

There is no cons for OpenShot Video Editor, is easy to use and when you install it first time you will know what to do.

Isaac D.
  • Industry: Computer Games

Laggy Beyond Use

Reviewed on 12/2/2019

I hate this thing so much that I would highly recommend to NEVER use it. Ive wasted way too much of my time on this just for it to come out as crap or don't come out at all.

Great for Beginners
Fun
Better than Others

Cons

Awful Compatibility
Videos come out with broken audio
Videos sometimes don't come out at all, bye bye 1 hour of work.
ONLY accepts mp4 nothing else
Glitchy as fuck
Laggy Beyond Use
Crashes 5 times per video

Steve E.
  • Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

Feature full & free!

Reviewed on 1/7/2019

Since Microsoft is not providing Movie Maker any longer I’ve had to find a new easy video editor. OpenShot is a great alternative that will probably we even better. I am looking forward to making new YouTube videos and videos for my students.

Pros

Free
Tons of features
Thoughtful user interface

Cons

Haven’t found any yet! The creator has put out several instructional videos that cover most questions a user would have.

• Used for 1-5 months

After having used this all day without having to use any documentation, I highly recommend it!

Reviewed on 16/7/2020

Great program.

Pros

Cutting parts out of videos has never been easier! I was able to do everything in this program without referring to any tutorials, it is very easy to use.

Cons

I would like to see a an entire video audio normalization, I had to export my audio to audacity to normailze and boost the audio.

Nathan B.
  • Company size: 5,001-10,000 Employees

Open shot video editing

Reviewed on 30/6/2020

Great use, highly recommend to someone who is not confident with advanced, expensive software.

Pros

Ease of use, very good for the beginner at video editing.

Cons

A cleaner layout would be benefit this software.

Shemsi S.
  • Industry: Animation

Openshot the most easy software to use

Reviewed on 13/10/2021

Very efficient and good

Pros

Ability to save in dffeent formats and download videos

Cons

Edit function and trimming does not work

DaVinci Resolve

Reasons for Switching to OpenShot Video Editor

It was easy to operate
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

Open-source Magic

Reviewed on 11/2/2021

As someone who loves open-source software, Openshot was something I simply had to try when it came to a point where, due to reasons, I wasn’t able to use my paid editing software of choice. Though it seemed a bit daunting at first, I quickly got the hang of it rather quickly, all thanks to the following software pros:

Pros

The availability of a large number of online tutorials on just about anything related to it; how to trim a video, add effects, add subtitles —you name it, there’s a tutorial out there for it.

Its simple layout makes sure that everything you need is right there; front and centre, without the complicated drop-down menus.

It’s open source. Therefore free to use.

Cons

There are the occasional bugs that need to be ironed out, for instance: the hanging when exporting videos. Lastly, and this isn’t a major con, but as with any free software the UI could use a bit of polish.

Abdullah M.
  • Industry: Banking

Excellent Video Editor For Professionals

Reviewed on 6/4/2020

OpenShot Video editor is a professional video editing utility which has been admired by number of professionals all arround the world due to its remarkably easy and simple to use interface. It has all necessary tools and buttons which are required for excellent video editing experience. The main reason of OpenShot popularity is becuase it is available free of cost and can be downloaded from its official page. OpenShot video editor supports 70+ languages and can be transalated online via LaunchPad.

Pros

OpenShot video editor is very easy and simple to use software. The user can select different options like adding text, images and audio visuals to their videos to make them attractive and nice. Different available themes can be selected from the menu with single click which complete the video editing task quickly. The slow and speed up of videos can be done and further you can also trim and re-arrange the videos. There are many audio editing features by which you can adjust and split audio from your videos and adjust each audio individually. Flying text and beautiful 3D animations can be added and users can also adjust colors and brightness of videos very easily. OpenShot supports unlimited layers so we can add as many layers as we required to our videos.

Cons

According to my point of view, there should be more background animation presets in this Software. Because if we are designing the composition from scratch, often we need background effects. So if the users will able to apply more background animation options, that will be really awesome. Overall we can do almost everything related to video editing in this software.

Annam K.
  • Industry: Insurance

The Best and Open-Source Video Editing Software

Reviewed on 6/4/2020

My overall experience with OpenShot Video Editor is really outstanding because I have used the software for my personal projects. I really like the 3D animations which I usually apply in my projects. Especially I need slow motion in my video projects, so I easily add slow motion in the videos. Sometimes I also create title in the beginning of the videos. So I really like this simple and incredible video editing software. Once i apply the transitions, then i preview the video before the export process.

Pros

Openshot is really awesome and a professional video editing software. The most important thing that it is completely free. The interface of this software is really easy to understand and use. All panels are really fabulous. You can simply import the files then you can drag and drop the files in your timeline. Then using effects and transitions you can apply a hundered of beautiful transitions. You can easily trim your exisiting videos or if you want to edit audio you can also edit the audio or sound. You can add unlimited layers.

Cons

According to my experience, we can find all video editing features, tools and options in the OpenShot Video editor. So as per my point of view, every features and use of this software is awseome. Only if we find more external plugins or modules that will be really awesome. Here plugins means, like we will able to apply more new transitions and effects. All other options are outstanding.

Sylvester M.
  • Industry: Public Relations & Communications

NO BUDGET VIDEO EDITING SOFTWARE, It's powerful and gets the job done

Reviewed on 27/12/2020

OpenShot is both a SIMPLE and POWERFUL video editing software with the ability to produce great videos.
OpenShot can make dazzling recordings, movies, and activities with a simple to-utilize interface and a rich arrangement of highlights. It can be used on Linux, macOS, and Windows operating systems.

Pros

It has all the basics you need to edit and produce great videos.
Most importantly, it's FREE, SIMPLE, easy to use, and makes editing faster.

Cons

Some elements and features need improvement.

Debjit B.

Opensource video editor with cloud and api capability.

Reviewed on 28/11/2018

If you are experimenting and want a completely free/ open-source solution for your video editing solution this software is for you. I just update it to my KVM VPS and I have a cloud editor all by myself. The feature is simple, effects are not that impressive but it workes.

Pros

This is the most awesome piece of software for videos editing. I just install it to a VM and use the app to convert/create/edit video using its api. Just awesome. I have also tried the desktop version with GT710 my entry level card and its output was smooth. Playback for 1080/30fps is just smooth and doesn't take many resources. As it is an Opensource and community-driven software I can use it for free and for anything. Some transactions effects and sound channels. It is still its first stage and evolving rapidly.

Cons

As it is an Open-source software I have to wait if got any problem or find my own solutions for it. The effects are limited due to no team is developing them.

Its Free, Simple and Comprehensive

Reviewed on 5/2/2020

I am majorly using micro user guides and it has been super effective. I started using this about 3 months ago and no major roadblock till now. It's great!

Pros

I love the fact that Openshot can be used for free on any operating systems. I am using it on Linux. It serves multiple purposes. You can edit videos, add tracks, add transitions and export a High Quality Mp4 very easily. You can pretty much do everything a paid video editor allows.

Cons

So, when you are playing a video after adding your desired tracks and cropping the videos, the track stutters and looks low quality. However, once you export the video, it seems to be perfectly fine. I didn't realise that fact until I actually exported the video. Overall, it's a great tool.

Anand L.

Beginners Friendly

Reviewed on 27/4/2021

The experience with OpenShot was very much good at all. I have created 4 to 5 simple videos with this software and till now everything is going well except it lags sometimes.

Pros

The software is free version software and very much beginners friendly for the people who are just stepping in the field of video editing and some extend you can also edit audio.

Cons

The software does not contain some of the features compared to other softwares. I think for professional video editing you have to switch into another software.

Timothy B.
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

Free Video Editor for Simple Projects

Reviewed on 25/1/2021

It worked very well and we still use it for small projects that are not complex.

Pros

Free. The software was easy to install and did not include bundleware. It is easy to use and navigate as it does not offer as many options as some of the bigger products that come with a hefty price tag. It is great to use for simple projects with basic transitions.

Cons

The software offered little support for titles and animations. We would have to make them in a separate program and then import them and make adjustments. Setting still images to transform and scale was often a challenge.

Janice R.
  • Industry: Nonprofit Organisation Management

Excellent free video creatir

Reviewed on 3/7/2021

This program is great for beginners and has multiple options for video quality and type for export. I love the program

Pros

I like that audio can be separated from video and I like that there are so many useful features that are easy to figure out.

Cons

One drawback of this program is that there is a choice between a larger view of the video or the tracks that are being edited.

Tomas G.

The Application for Beginners

Reviewed on 4/12/2019

i usually record my trips and sport events, now with this tool i have a better product.

Pros

i have ZERO previous experiencie with video editors, using this tool i feel like a master! now i feel proud of my skills

Cons

should has any kind of material, maybe some videos or documents so wen can expand our knowledge in the tool.

Tripta A.
  • Used for 6-12 months

One of the Best free video editors

Reviewed on 20/2/2021

One of the best and feature rich video editors in the market.

Pros

1. Free and open source.
2. Has all the features for most video editing tasks.
3. Supports Windows, Mac and Linux.

Cons

1. Some learning curve is required for new users.
2. The method to perform some functions is a bit lengthy/complex.