Duolingo

Learning management system for educational institutions

4.6/5
4.6/5
4.8/5
4.4/5

André
  • Industry: Chemicals

A very good option to reinforce your language skills

Reviewed on 15/4/2021

As a brazilian trilingual person (I spoke portuguese, english and spanish), it is a way for keep my language skills sharp, and also to learn about other languages. Nowdays I am learning japanese, and it has been a very good experience, I had contact with the language on the past, but even for a person which had not have it, the way which the App explain everything, is pretty easy and well guided. My mother is learning spanish using it, and it is awesome how she can talk with me and explain some complexes things using the skills which she learned through Duolingo.

Pros

The ease of use, the contents inside it, the exercises, the grammatic explanations are pretty good, also they have some "died languages", as latin, Irish, and some other dialects, which without this kind of technology would be tend to disappear.

Cons

Sometimes the exercises repeat so much, at point to make the user bored, but I know that some people learns with repetition. Therefore, I do not see so much advantage to choose the paid version of it.

Whitney

Excellent language learning app

Reviewed on 9/4/2022

Duolingo has definitely impacted communications with others who speak different languages. Comprehension of written communication has seen the most positive change, followed by the ability to speak and then listening/understanding verbal communication. I believe this is due to the nuance of individual speakers' accents and phrasing. Overall, the learning attributable to Duolingo is significant.

Pros

I highly recommend Duolingo. There's a free option available, which includes adds and some limited features, yet the Pro option is excellent. This is definitely a "get out of it what you put in to it" tool, and if utilized regularly, users will learn a language. Lessons focus on "useful" learning i.e. key words and phrases vs. conjugation of verbs and other grammatical elements. Those things are incorporated in to the lessons, yet the user almost doesn't notice because it's so well integrated.

Cons

The sequencing of some of the lessons seems a bit strange sometimes, as why one topic comes after another and not before can be odd. However, it's minor and perhaps even more of a preference.

Rosetta Stone Enterprise

Reasons for Switching to Duolingo

There's more latitude for users to pace the learning based on their own needs/interest and abilities.
Abby
  • Industry: Dairy
  • Used Daily for Free Trial

Not fun

Reviewed on 24/1/2023

When I started I already knew some spanish so I checked to see if it was easy and no it wasnt. Plus it was also wrong. The correct term for girl is chika and for boy it is chiko. But it said it was nina nino. Plus it was very hard. I was pressured into using this and I dont really like it. I have a grandpa who knows five languages and lots of different dialects. And I have a Great Grandma who knows Italian. So overall duolingo is very no.

Pros

Nothing

Cons

Everything

Sozer

Explore new language

Reviewed on 11/10/2022

Pros

teaching the language and its systematic is really great. people can work without getting bored. No boring repetitions.

Cons

last update they made the home screen a bit clunky but it's still great fun

Allanys

The best app for learning a language on your own

Reviewed on 13/12/2022

Pros

Duolingo has all the tools you need to learn the basics of a language or even master it. What I like most is that it has multiple features to learn at your pace and it does not rush you into learning, which is very important. Another thing that I like is that it has a lot of animations to help you assimilate the meanings behind every meaning of a word.

Cons

Duolingo is a really good app but sometimes it troubleshoots, other than that the app is awesome!

Henry
  • Used Daily for Free Trial

Duolingo Review

Reviewed on 14/12/2022

I love it, I have learned a lot about various languages, I use it daily

Pros

It is a very useful tool to learn languages ​​easily for all kinds of people, it monitors the learning process.

Cons

Learning in the application should be certifiable

Nina
  • Industry: Higher Education

Doing It With Duo

Reviewed on 19/12/2022

I love using Duolingo, and it's easy to take 15 minutes a day to learn a new language. Fun and simple to use.

Pros

I like how this makes learning a language fun, and you can set realistic goals that are easy to obtain.

Cons

The notifications when you miss a lesson can be overwhelming.

Joshua
  • Industry: Industrial Automation

Duolingo Language Learning

Reviewed on 14/12/2022

Pros

This is the easiest software to immediately dive into learning another language. It's easily accessible and makes it pretty fun to do.

Cons

I think there are some limitations with getting into more advanced language skills. That makes sense though, because it seems that would be more part of applying what you learn.

Tatiane
  • Industry: Medical Practice
  • Used Monthly for Free Trial

english in a fun way

Reviewed on 2/1/2023

great, I loved the app, I learned a lot of things in other languages in a fun and funny way.

Pros

app that teaches in a creative and very fun way, is very illustrative and pleasant to use.

Cons

some tasks are a little difficult, making it difficult to advance in level

kaushal
  • Industry: Mechanical or Industrial Engineering

Effective language learning app for all!!!

Reviewed on 7/1/2023

Pros

- most of the features are free- You can set goals and get reminders throughtout the day- deutsch language learning made simple

Cons

- app can be costly if you want to avail premium features- app seems to be slowing down for low end phones

Anne

Best language learning app

Reviewed on 29/4/2021

Generally, i have had a great experience with Duolingo. I am actually still using it at the moment.

Pros

What i like most about Duolingo is the fact that it is absolutely free and out of all the other language learning apps, it has the widest variety of languages to learn; 37 to be exact. I also like the simplicity of the app. It's so easy to use even for the most ordinary person. The way the app is designed with funny animations is so welcoming that you can actually look forward to learning a language. I also love the way the app is designed to encourage the learner to not give up even when he or she has made a number of errors. Duolingo recognizes that language learning is not easy and patience is a required virtue so when one feels like throwing in the towel, the app is there to remind you in some way that it may be challenging, but it will all be worth it in the end. With all the positive attributes that the app possesses, i believe it is a great and fun tool that can even be used by children and families not just for learning, but for spending leisure.

Cons

What i dislike about this software is the lack of option for learning offline. I think learning should not be limited to strong internet connection. If there is a way that the software can be adjusted just a bit to accommodate learners who have poor internet connection, that would be wonderful so that learning goals can be reached faster. When it comes to the ads, there are some ads that are displayed that make me feel uncomfortable even as an adult. For instance If i was using Duolingo in public and some of these ads are shown, then people can question my character and probably any other learner's character.

• Industry: Outsourcing/Offshoring

Great Beginner Language Learning App

Reviewed on 6/9/2022

My overall experience was really good. Everything was easy to follow and the app itself is quite fun!

Pros

I like how user friendly and interactive the Duolingo Software is. It’s very easy to track your language learning progress and the layout of the app is very fun. It kinda mimics a game, which is great to hold interest especially for young language learners. I like that you can start to learn a language from scratch using Duolingo. I started learning Italian using the app about 2 years ago and I learned quite a bit of vocabulary and also how to form simple sentences to express myself clearly as a beginner. It’s also impressive how the app provides you with a built in feature that guides you as it relates to the correct pronunciation of verbs. The activities also include listening comprehension which is great when you’re new to a language and don’t exactly have anyone to talk/ listen to. I know there are thousands of free videos on the internet but at times it can be a bit hard and overwhelming to keep up with what the speakers are saying when you’re very new to the language. With Duolingo, everything is perfectly paced for a beginner to understand with ease and I like that a lot. Another advantage worth mentioning is the numerous languages that the app offers. I like the flexibility a lot; and honestly, whenever I start to learn another language, back to Duolingo I’ll go!

Cons

I think the app is great for beginners, it gives you a strong foundation for your language learning journey. However, as you begin to progress into an intermediate or advanced level, you begin to realize that there’s not much more that the app can do for you. The lessons become a bit too calculated and robotic which isn’t good if you’re wanting to advance. You will need to bypass the app and try other language learning methods which will offer more spontaneous learning opportunities. Another con is the limitations that come with the free version, but like any other application, that is to be expected and we can’t necessarily blame Duolingo for that. All in all, I would highly recommend Duolingo to any beginner language learner.

Fun learning with friends

Reviewed on 11/4/2022

It is an easy and quick way to learn a language and the free edition does suffice for me.

Pros

The best thing about learning Spanish with Duolingo is learning with some of my friends in my contacts. We have made a subtle competition and is quite motivating. I am on the basic/free edition and it works fine for me. One of the best feature about Duolingo is that I am able to go back and review exercises I've recently gotten wrong and also listen to the ones i missed. Of course that is on the Doulingo Plus which I was trying for 14 days. It tempted me to subscribe.

Cons

Sometimes I get wrong on most obvious expressions since it has its own sort of rigid interpretation. But i often ignore and move on.

Pius

Duolingo

Reviewed on 24/4/2022

Amazing. I have taken my Spanish, French, and German to new levels. This is thanks to the ease of using the platform and customizing it to my goals in each separate language.

Pros

Learning languages on Duolingo is fun and simplified. The units are bite-size so as to not be overwhelming like the other language apps but also the not so simplified that you don't make meaningful progress. You can customize your learning experience based on your goals for learning the language you choose and I like that a lot. I am learning 3 languages at the same time and each of them has a different goal and allocated length. This is awesome in Duolingo.

Cons

I love Duolingo and it's the best out there in terms of learning a new language. I don't like the fact that they have not incorporated the Podcast into the App. I listen to the podcast on Google Podcasts and I think it would be even better with it in-app because then they can curate the podcast content better, based on everyone's level and fluency in the language.

Alexandre
  • Industry: Industrial Automation

App that addictive

Reviewed on 26/4/2022

My experience with Duolingo was very addictive, when I saw myself, I was doing challenges in other languages ​​in my spare time.
The app gives you the free option to choose some languages ​​and you can advance the challenges with fixation exercises.

Pros

1) The app is intuitive and easy to use. 2) The free version has a lot of activity and language. 3) You will learn as you advance through the levels. 4) The app encourages and reminds you to do the exercises every day. 5) Any spare time you have, you can learn while having fun. 6) Application with an attractive and fun layout. 7) There is also a placement test for you to start the course according to your proficiency.

Cons

I didn't have any problems with Duolingo, but I confess that the placement test could be shorter.
Another thing that prevents it from being a complete course is the lack of interactivity with a native speaker of another language, but as it is a mobile application, it does what it proposes to do.

Michael

A must have for anyone interested in language learning or teaching

Reviewed on 30/3/2021

Duolingo is a great app for whoever wants to learn, start learning or just stay engaged with the languages they're interested in. I use it to learn Japanese and whenever I develop an interest for any language, Duolingo is the first app that comes to mind. I've used several other software to try to learn but I always come back to Duolingo.

Pros

I teach languages for a living and one of the biggest challenges was to gauge how much and exactly what the students know. With Duolingo my job became a lot easier with their Duolingo For Schools product. Duolingo already makes language learning fairly simple by avoiding to overcomplicate the learning process with dense grammar and leaning towards a more intuitive experience but when they introduced this new feature on top of that it only made my love for the app even deeper.

Cons

Duolingo is a very intuitive app but it falls short when it comes to certain features. For example: it's very difficult to set up Duolingo For Schools and in the mobile app there isn't even any button for it. The student has to go to the settings and look for it.
Also, Duolingo has features for some languages and not for others. I guess this is due to the time it takes to create content but until the day comes this will always feel like a downside.

chrys

Duolingo -anyone can learn a language with 5-10 min lessons a day

Reviewed on 29/6/2022

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Duolingo. I started using it during the COVID19 pandemic, working to teach myself Spanish. I use Spanish at work, and have previously always relied on interpreters. Within a couple of years of short daily lessons I now am able to have some decent use of the language.

Pros

I love that Duolingo offers short lessons, so it doesn't feel like a big time commitment. I love that it starts at your level, if you have previous knowledge of the language. I love that it adds an element of competition in language learning. Additionally, I love that it offers a free version, with few ads, but also offers a paid version (also great value for the money) for those that don't want to watch the ads

Cons

I honestly love Duolingo so much and have recommended to so many friends and co-workers, I cannot think of a disadvantage of this program.

Andile
  • Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

Duolingo Changed My Life!

Reviewed on 15/12/2021

In overall, I love Duolingo. I find myself watching French movies now and understanding something that I never did but of course I still refer to subtitles to confirm that I am on the right track. My reason for learning a new language is for exercising my brain and keeping it sharp.

Pros

For starters, Duolingo is free despite the fact that it teaches you a whole new language, a language that can change your life in terms of improving your cv, giving your brain a sharp memory etc. I like that Duolingo sends me emails or notifications everyday when he realizes I may have forgotten about the lessons because most times I would have. Duolingo has very interesting French lessons that are also part of the lessons. They are really interesting and make you want to continue reading and studying.

Cons

When I am recording my voice in response to what Duo wants me to say, I realize that the speech recognition is not that precise. At times I hear myself pronounce badly and be ready to say it again but Duo does not hear it properly and marks as pronounced properly. The speech recognition is lacking a bit and I believe can be improved.

• Industry: Higher Education

Great for Language Learning

Reviewed on 12/3/2022

I have been using Duolingo on and off since 2014. It has helped me learn couple of new languages and I use it to this day. I definitely recommend new language learners to install and use it.

Pros

Duolingo is a great tool to learn new language. Some of its best features are: abundance pf pictures to help the user learn even better, the stories that let the user interact with them, the weekly leaderboard that push the user to perform and learn even more, and many more.

Cons

The only thing I don't really like in Duolingo are the excessive ads that pop-up after every single lesson. It didn't use to be like that previously, but now it seems making money is the number priority instead of helping user learn new language (like it was originally). Other than that pretty decent software.

Jonathan
  • Industry: Civil Engineering

Learning a language by playing

Reviewed on 29/6/2021

Overall, it is a very useful software if you want to learn a new language, easy to use, and it is also very entertaining, unlocking levels while watching your progress is very efficient while learning. The free version is very interesting, but they also have a monthly subscription that unlocks new levels.

Pros

What I liked the most is that the software teaches you a series of languages in an entertaining way. The idea of unlocking levels to advance your knowledge of a language is fantastic. Also, the interface of the software is very easy to use. The interaction with the levels is a lot of fun.

Cons

What I liked the least was that the subscription to the premium version of the software does not offer you many new things compared to the free version, beyond new levels.

zainab
  • Industry: Veterinary

My all time favorite App

Reviewed on 15/9/2022

I am very satisfied with Duolingo, it is like my best friend. I play it everyday without even turning on the notifications.

Pros

I am a huge fan of duolingo, I play it everyday and i have a streak of more than two years legit. I finished the Turkish course on duolingo and now i am learning the Spanish language course. Honestly i cannot stop using it, the app is super easy to be used they have arranged it in a very simple and fun way. I recommend it to everyone of my friends even i shared it with my students in the university.

Cons

I have no negative points on duolingo, but i just want to write my opinion on the new update, sometimes it gets jammed i dont know why since the older version wasnot doing that.

• Industry: Computer Hardware

Best and FREE way to learn languages!

Reviewed on 30/9/2021

It is AMAZING because I'm able to polish languages that I already know, and learning new ones wherever and whenever I want.

Pros

That I'm able to choose among many language options, being able to start learning more than 1 language without losing what I've advanced. Also I like that appart from written words, there are sounds of how to pronounce the words, and above all, IT'S FREE!

Cons

Not being able to choose a method of learning in some languages. I want to learn languages like Japanese, but I'm not able to concentrate I'm not able to choose switching from the symbols (hiragana, katakana, kanji) to actual words with letters, that is what I used to see everywhere and try to speak like that.

Melissa

An Old Dog Can Learn New Tricks

Reviewed on 29/6/2022

Pros

The app reminds you if you don't engage and encourages you to keep going. This has been beneficial for my child who has ADHD.

Cons

I wish the app was more gamified to keep her interested.

Mu
  • Industry: Human Resources

Great software for language learning

Reviewed on 8/2/2022

I really enjoy that most features are free. The free version of Duolingo feels like the paid version of many other language learning apps!

Pros

Duolingo makes language learning easy and fun with different types of lessons, stories and audio lessons. I can go ahead and pick my mode of learning depending on my environment, for example muting sounds and just learning through written text when I'm in a quiet environment. I have been using it to learn Spanish and it helped me become somewhat conversational in a short amount of time.

Cons

The gamification aspect I'm sure helps lots of people enjoy Duolingo but it sometimes bothers me. I wish there was a way of opting out.

Agala

The Best Language Learning App

Reviewed on 18/2/2022

You are able to do translations to other languages and able to learn as many languages as you want. For someone who loves learning new languages this software is fun and educative. You can use it to teach your students or a group of people any language of choice.

Pros

Duolingo is a lifesaver and just one of the most amazing inventions for a language lover like me. The App offers free lessons for common languages from basic, intermediate and expert. I love that it has a wide range of languages you can choose to learn and they are updated and added onto regularly. In also like that you can learn more than one language at a go.

Cons

So far there is nothing I dislike about the app.