Duolingo

Write a Review!
Learning management system for educational institutions

4.5/5
4.5/5
4.8/5
4.2/5

Md Mahbub
Md Mahbub

The Best Language Learning App I Have Ever Experienced So Far!

Reviewed on 29/9/2022

I like that it is a very efficient way to learn a new language. I also like how it is gamified so that it makes it more fun and engaging. Besides, I can enroll in more than one language at a time and keep practicing simultaneously. It has a learning streak which is like if you don't practice for a few days in a row then your progress will go back to down level and you have to start again from the past although you can freeze the streak a few times. Overall it really helped a lot in learning the basics of language.

Pros

There are many things I like about the Duolingo language learning software. Firstly, it is free which makes it accessible to everyone. Secondly, it is very user-friendly and you can learn at your own pace. Finally, it provides a great way to learn a new language or brush up on your existing language skills. I like that Duolingo offers a variety of languages to choose from. I also appreciate the fact that it uses a game-like format to make language learning fun and engaging.

Cons

Every product comes with a con but to be frank I didn't find any major cons for the app. Hence it is really enjoyable. But sometimes the repetitive tests may seem boring for the users as the app sometimes brings up the same lessons again and again. The learning process is a bit slow.

ELSA Speak

Reasons for Switching to Duolingo

Elsa Speak doesn't offer gamification representation which is not enjoyable. On the other hand, Duolingo made the whole learning process a game so no matter how old the age of a person is, can easily adapt and enjoy Duolingo for learning the language.
Morgan
  • Industry: Wholesale

A fun way to learn a language

Reviewed on 3/7/2023

I have had a positive experience with Duolingo. I have switched from Duolingo to another platform to increase my ability to instinctively connect the foreign language to words/actions without intermediate english translation steps.

Pros

I love how accessible Duolingo is! It is nice that there is a free option to test out before upgrading to a paid track. I love how the program is broken down into bitesized pieces. I learned a good basis of a foreign language I had zero experience with before this program.

Cons

I don't think this way of learning a language is the best option for everyone. This program makes it easier to sound out words and read another language, but doesn't cultivate instinctual understanding of another language. It feels reading and writing heavy and less conversationally based. I think using cartoon characters doesn't connect as well for me.

Reasons for Choosing Duolingo

Babble was confusing and I found Duolingo easier to use.

Babbel for Business

Reasons for Switching to Duolingo

I chose Duolingo for its cost and ease of use. I have switched to Rosetta Stone now to better improve my comprehension in conversations.
Judi
  • Industry: Writing & Editing

Not geared toward slow language learners

Reviewed on 23/8/2023

At first I liked this app. Now I am ready to leave. The more I work, the more I get demoted. I am not being tested or compared to how I have done but by how others do. Not interested in that. Languages are hard for me. By keep making the sentences faster and faster, there is no point in me trying. By hitting the 'slow' button, I hear the individual words - NOT how one word blends into the next. Perhaps there should be three layers as one gets more advanced.

Pros

Early on, i liked Duolingo a lot. There were others who had questions and there was a peer review from which I learned things. I liked the amount it repeats.

Cons

The timed practices. That doesn't test my knowledge of the language I am learning, it tests how fast my eyes go from one column to the other column. And then the right column doesn't even have the right words in it at the same time as the left column. Also, the peer review seems to be gone, so when I get something wrong, I don't necessarily know why.

Jennifer
  • Industry: Primary/Secondary Education

Spanish Scam

Reviewed on 20/3/2024

A bit frustrated as there are glitches and errors. Paying about of money I would expect more. They don’t focus on important things like verbs leaving you confused as you go further along.

Pros

Fun way to learn a new language. The challenges are fun but it is only fun if you pay. Otherwise it’s not enjoyable.

Cons

I was scammed into a free trial and they took my money out of my account before the trial was up. Duolingo would not reply and Apple would not refund.

Geraldo
  • Industry: Telecommunications

Duolingo Review: Features and Benefits for Beginners and Advanced Users

Reviewed on 27/4/2023

Improve language skills for employment and career purposes,Facilitate communication with co-workers, customers and suppliers in other countriesGain a competitive advantage in international business negotiationsIncrease confidence and the ability to interact with people from different cultures and backgrounds.Access to a wide range of languages and learning contentPossibility to learn at my own pace and at convenient timesLearning in a fun and motivating environment, which helps to maintain interest and engagementTime and money savings compared to face-to-face classes or traditional language courses.

Pros

Most important features for users:Interactive lessons that include speech recognition and listening, writing and reading exercisesA gamification system that includes fun themed lessons and rewards to keep users motivatedThe option to customize the learning path to meet users' individual needs, such as focusing on specific skills or learning vocabulary related to a certain topicI generally find Duolingo easy to use, thanks to its intuitive interface and well-designed features. The platform is easy to navigate and the lessons are clearly organized. They also have access to help features, such as the option to view translations and tips on how to complete the exercises.Duolingo is a language learning platform designed primarily for personal use. While the company offers options for enterprises and educational institutions, integrating with existing business processes can be more challenging and may require additional support for customization and configuration. However, Duolingo is an affordable and user-friendly tool that can be of benefit to individuals and organizations looking to improve their language skills.

Cons

Some translation issues can be inconsistent or confusingThe limited availability of languages for learning in some countriesMore customization options to let users focus on specific skills like speaking or grammarMore features to practice speaking skills, such as speaking with native speakers or recording and listening to your own voiceImprovements in correcting grammar and spelling errors to provide more detailed feedback on user performance.I think Duolingo's interface can be a bit confusing, especially for beginners.I also think that the teaching method can be very repetitive and boringProblems with voice recognition and error detection accuracy.Duolingo is a language learning platform aimed primarily at personal use. While the company offers options for businesses and educational institutions, integrating with existing business processes might not be relevant to me. However, if I want to learn a language for work purposes I may find Duolingo useful in improving my language skills.

Reasons for Switching to Duolingo

Some of the reasons that made me choose Duolingo over other alternative products are:Duolingo offers a wider range of languages to learn than other productsDuolingo's teaching method is more playful and motivating, with a greater focus on gamification and rewards to keep me engaged.Duolingo is a free product while some other alternative products were paid for full access to contentDuolingo's interface is intuitive and easy to use, with additional features such as live classes that allow you to interact with other students and tutorsDuolingo is widely recognized and used around the world, which increases my confidence in the quality of the product and the support available.
Nikolay

Addictive and fun!

Reviewed on 25/7/2022

It's very fun, very modern. The paid subscription Super Duolingo is super affordable as well, but if you can stand ads, you are quite okay with the free version as well. I cannot imagine a better platform to learn a new language on the go, on your phone, tabler, or your PC's browser. Do not expect you to be fluent in a week or a month, but every bit helps. Be patient, enjoy the cute experience and check the Klingon language as well.

Pros

Learning languages with Duolingo sure is fun. I have used it for so many years to learn Czech and Japanese. From the cute interface and animations to the option to draw Japanese symbols on the phone screen, Duolingo offers a free and accessible way for anyone to learn new languages.
With their paid Super Duolingo plan, you can get rid of the annoying advertisements - I am one of those impatient people who don't like ads, have unlimited hearts, and you can also have a family plan where you can share the service with your loved ones at a very reasonable price. You can pretty much learn every major language plus some very "exotic" ones such as - Klingon(!!) and High Valyrian (!!!), both very important and useful in our daily lives. I am hoping for Duolingo also to add the option for us to learn Slovenian in the future. It's one of the less used languages but very dear to my heart.
The daily quests and the monthly challenges are fun as well and a reason for competitive users to log in more often and do their "daily grind." Without you realizing it, you will learn so many new words by simply spending 15 min per day, or an hour like me.

Cons

I will be honest - since I am a very competitive person, I spend a lot of time grinding for experience (XP) just so I can beat other users and advance in the leagues. Currently, I am in the Sapphire League, but I feel like giving up for a while because the competitive side of me blocks the one that wants to actually learn the language. Maybe don't make the competition and advancing into a higher league that tough?

Reasons for Switching to Duolingo

A modern, cute, game-like platform for learning.
Karel

My Experience with Duolingo

Reviewed on 10/6/2022

A great language learning app that I would recommend for those who are interested in learning a new language.

Pros

Fun and easy to use.
This app makes learning a new language easy overall.
Gamification is an essential part of what makes this software so good.

Cons

I don't like the fact that learning on this app cannot really take place offline
Also the amount of ads that you encounter after completing just 1 segment is just too much.

Donita
  • Industry: Higher Education

Best Language-Learning App

Reviewed on 17/12/2023

I have found it to be the most effective, engaging and interesting of language apps I have explored.

Pros

It is easy to use the app. It is a valuable tool to acquire a second language, or enable me to join in a conversation.

Cons

There are no cons in my opinion. I have tried other apps, and enjoy it the most.

Shujaat

Review based on Own Experience!

Reviewed on 28/7/2022

Happy to experience, very convenient for language learning, comfortable to maintain its dashboard.

Pros

interface, languages list as per convenience, its levels are much competitive. Easy to maintain its dashboard...

Cons

Little delays in Speech recognition, skills tend to limiting and translation may confuse rarely.

Google Classroom

Reasons for Switching to Duolingo

New to experience and best for language learning
Megan
  • Used Daily for Free Trial

Language learning

Reviewed on 27/6/2024

Pros

Super easy to use and fun. Only 15 minutes a day. You need to stay motivated.

Cons

I wasn't really dedicated. There is nothing really wrong with it. I wanted to learn a language to talk to with family but wasn't going to around them a ton.

Tim

Excellent start for learning languages - Tries to turn it into a game

Reviewed on 3/4/2022

Pros

I dont think i've seen other learning tools and apps succeed in gamification in the same way as Duolingo. This gives a great advantage for casual learners and can help them develop basics of a language as opposed to a standard learning environment.
It also provides a relatively productive way to handle 'slack time' that you may have during a bus, train or underground trip on the way to work or somewhere else.

Cons

The software is great for casual learning. But should you become serious about learning a language to the point of intensive lessons you may find Duolingo lacking compared to a traditional course.

Awesome software for effective learning of new languages

Reviewed on 3/5/2023

A very effective and well-developed software that makes learning languages fun and interesting. I would 10/10 recommend! I love that there is an online community to support you!

Pros

My favourite feature of Duolingo is that it tracks your progress really well. I can see a clear trend that Duolingo provides me with in my learning as well in other users which gives me motivation. The point system is useful in that it motivates me to study more and use Duolingo more to achieve a better score and as a result become better at the language I am learning. Duolingo is very user friendly. When I used it for the first time, I could figure out its features with little guidance. Therefore it is a well developed program suitable for both beginners and advanced language speakers. I have had a pleasant time learning new languages (French and Italian) thanks to Duolingo's programming that makes learning new languages interesting and engaging. I find that when I am learning something new with Duolingo, it is not as overwhelming as I think it would be. There are also communities that help encourage users to make progress. I would highly recommend Duolingo if you are looking for a fun and interesting way to learn new languages. Duolingo is especially useful if you are looking to get a basic understanding of a language, it will cover all the basics you need!

Cons

I don't have any dislikes about Duolingo. I have used it for 1.5 years now and have seen a major improvement in my French! One suggestion is for Duolingo to add perhaps more engaging tests - something like reading comprehension? That would be really cool to see! It would be also nice for there to be no ads so that one can really focused on learning.

Francisco
  • Industry: Media Production

Don't forget to practice!

Reviewed on 28/9/2021

Excellent, I use my free time to learn and practice, even 15 minutes per day is enough.

Pros

It is a very fun way to learn and practice the languages ​​you already know or can learn a new one. What I like the most is that you can do tests for your level or to prove yourself.

Cons

I wish there where integrations with other apps or services, to make learning more complete.

Reasons for Choosing Duolingo

Gamification.

• Industry: Mental Health Care

Best Language Learning App

Reviewed on 30/6/2022

Amazing:

- Learning something new
- Getting help with cognitive exercise
- connecting with other...

Amazing:

- Learning something new
- Getting help with cognitive exercise
- connecting with other users
- economical
- tracking the progress

Pros

- The choices we have as a user to learn from 'N' number of languages
(I tried French, Korean, Spanish, Arabic, finally ending up with German, which I felt more interested in, currently i'm on a 272 days streak )
- Being able to track the Progress
- More than the language learning, I use it as a mental and cognitive exercise tool, and encourage my therapy patients to try it out, as I feel it helps in cognitive development, memory and concentration,
- Love the graphics of the app, its really pleasing to the eyes,
- The reminder system, you have an option to get a whatsapp reminder, app notification reminder, mail or text reminder
- The reward system in the app, you get 'gems' and 'XP', 'time boosters' and 'story section' (My favorite) as rewards which you can further use to do more language exercises and more
- Recently added 'Feed' section to learn more about things happening around in the Duolingo world and more information
- Being able to compete with other users and much more

Cons

- reporting an error in a language exercise was difficult

How to Master new language? Try Duolingo

Reviewed on 29/3/2021

After using it for a couple years so far, I can say that I am more than satisfied with Duo, especially after I started learning German daily with the use of it ( currently I am at my 358 day with 234 crowns and I want more knowledge, more skills and of course more Duo ). I would like to see more improvments in Duolinguo and if possible, that they return as officially recognized by LinkedIn as well, as I would like to boost more my German, share it with my connections and eventually land a new and better job thanks to it.

Pros

I love that feeling of accomplishment after new skill was acquired or new level gained ( and crown for it too ). It teaches me the basics of some language and it is free too, but I would like to see even more chapters in future, as you can't get enough of it.

Cons

I don't like the new system with five hearts ( for five negative answers, after which you fail a lesson ), but I understand it is there in order for this platform to keep being free for everyone and because of that I don't mind it too much. In the other hand, I would like to get more things which can be bought in the Duolingo shop, maybe some new outfits for Duo and especially more advanced skills for languages.

Andrew
  • Industry: Media Production

Duolingo is changing how people learn language

Reviewed on 19/12/2022

I have nothing but good things to say about Duolingo. It's the first app I open every day, and one of the last apps I use every night. The way they have gamified learning and paired it with AI to customize learning paths, for language learners of all skill levels, is utterly remarkable. I spent 12+ years learning French in school and Duolingo was able to break grammar and conjugation issues that had plagued me for more than 20 years. Merci Duo!

Pros

The way that Duolingo has built a community of language lovers through a gamified learning system is truly worth noting. The customized learning paths created for each user offers language learners of all skill levels to start confidently. Having tried all of the major language learning platforms before landing on Duo, I really can't think of a better place to get your family learning language.

Cons

The only con that I could list is that the profiles could be expanded to allow people to include their social media handles. It would be great to connect with other Duo users on, and off, the platform!

Alain
  • Industry: Writing & Editing

Homework, homework, homework

Reviewed on 26/5/2022

My overall experience is good, but not excellent (some of the sentences are kind of weird and not very useful). But it’s a good way to gain confidence on your grammar when it comes to write in a different language.

Pros

I think there are not such a thing of too many tools to help us learn (or improve) languages, so it’s good news that we have apps like Duolingo, one of the best known by the way. And that’s for something. I feel like I’m carrying my English teacher in my pocket, I can do the homework literally everywhere and at my own pace. I think it’s especially useful for beginners or for the lowest level skills.

Cons

This app is convenient and easy to use, but I’m not sure if it’s the best way to gain fluency in a language. I’ve been trying to be proficient in English for a while now, and I find it helpful to learn grammar, writing and reading, but not as much to improve my listening or speaking. Nothing like practicing dialogues and conversation with native speakers to do so, these language apps won’t do miracles.

Barbara

Bad update

Reviewed on 20/11/2022

I used to love it. I can understand some words on closed captioning on the TV before I read them. I can understand some words my Spanish coworkers use. They just need to slow down.,,as I don’t know all the words yet, but can grab the context of what they are saying. But now I will ever learn a new word as I can’t pass the previous levels I had mastered because they have extremely SHORT timers. They want you to PAY for timer boosts, they have gotten greedy and want money. I have sent feedback several times and have NEVER received an answer.me hence the review. If they would’ve at least contacted me and explained their reasoning..I may not have been so harsh., but seriously their update SUCKS

Pros

I used to love it. They updated it and have timed reviews to pass a level. I have to pass everything before I move on. I cannot move on with only one star. It BUGS me. You need three stars and they do NOT give you near enough time. I make so many mistakes rushing. I am about to drop the course

Cons

The lack of time to get the three stars

Barry

Is there a cheaper, easier way to learn a foreign language?

Reviewed on 24/4/2023

Good experience. It's part game, part competition, and you learn a language along the way. You want to do it daily

Pros

I like that I can learn a foreign language (Spanish) that I've been wanting to learn for such a long time. This is better than the Spanish course I bought years ago that was Spanish as spoken in Spain. My Mexican friends heard that when I first bought it and started laughing. I didn't use that course again after that

Cons

There are different versions (dialects ?) of Spanish. I'm not sure sometimes if I'm learning the version of Spanish that would be most useful. I live in Texas and want to speak Spanish like I would hear in Mexico. I do want to know the common slang words, but be able to carry on a conversation like an intelligent person. (That's probably a lot to ask and walking a fine line).

André
André
  • Industry: Chemicals

A very good option to reinforce your language skills

Reviewed on 15/4/2021

As a brazilian trilingual person (I spoke portuguese, english and spanish), it is a way for keep my language skills sharp, and also to learn about other languages. Nowdays I am learning japanese, and it has been a very good experience, I had contact with the language on the past, but even for a person which had not have it, the way which the App explain everything, is pretty easy and well guided. My mother is learning spanish using it, and it is awesome how she can talk with me and explain some complexes things using the skills which she learned through Duolingo.

Pros

The ease of use, the contents inside it, the exercises, the grammatic explanations are pretty good, also they have some "died languages", as latin, Irish, and some other dialects, which without this kind of technology would be tend to disappear.

Cons

Sometimes the exercises repeat so much, at point to make the user bored, but I know that some people learns with repetition. Therefore, I do not see so much advantage to choose the paid version of it.

Michael
Michael

A must have for anyone interested in language learning or teaching

Reviewed on 30/3/2021

Duolingo is a great app for whoever wants to learn, start learning or just stay engaged with the languages they're interested in. I use it to learn Japanese and whenever I develop an interest for any language, Duolingo is the first app that comes to mind. I've used several other software to try to learn but I always come back to Duolingo.

Pros

I teach languages for a living and one of the biggest challenges was to gauge how much and exactly what the students know. With Duolingo my job became a lot easier with their Duolingo For Schools product. Duolingo already makes language learning fairly simple by avoiding to overcomplicate the learning process with dense grammar and leaning towards a more intuitive experience but when they introduced this new feature on top of that it only made my love for the app even deeper.

Cons

Duolingo is a very intuitive app but it falls short when it comes to certain features. For example: it's very difficult to set up Duolingo For Schools and in the mobile app there isn't even any button for it. The student has to go to the settings and look for it.
Also, Duolingo has features for some languages and not for others. I guess this is due to the time it takes to create content but until the day comes this will always feel like a downside.

chrys

Duolingo -anyone can learn a language with 5-10 min lessons a day

Reviewed on 29/6/2022

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Duolingo. I started using it during the COVID19 pandemic, working to teach myself Spanish. I use Spanish at work, and have previously always relied on interpreters. Within a couple of years of short daily lessons I now am able to have some decent use of the language.

Pros

I love that Duolingo offers short lessons, so it doesn't feel like a big time commitment. I love that it starts at your level, if you have previous knowledge of the language. I love that it adds an element of competition in language learning. Additionally, I love that it offers a free version, with few ads, but also offers a paid version (also great value for the money) for those that don't want to watch the ads

Cons

I honestly love Duolingo so much and have recommended to so many friends and co-workers, I cannot think of a disadvantage of this program.

Rafaele

Duolingo evaluation

Reviewed on 30/8/2021

Pros

Duolingo is an excellent app for language learning aid, easy to use, has several lessons and stages. It has a very beautiful layout, which helps us spend more time using it. Your trophy program is interesting to do more lessons and the app is always sending a message with your rating to encourage access and learnin

Cons

I believe that when taking the test to check the user's level, it would be interesting for him to show the eliminated units as completed, the duolingo even jumps, but it does not show the circle as fully filled. The activities also have to be redone in a short time for the circle to keep all filled, which ends up making us go back several times in the same lesson, hindering a little the evolution to other levels. A more specific unit focused on alphabets and numbers would also be nice.

Zakaria
  • Industry: Computer Hardware

that's why i use Duolingo to learn any language

Reviewed on 22/4/2022

overall experience, I would say that Duolingo has such great results, and everyone should use it.

Pros

Duolingo is a really common software to learn any language as a beginner, it has multiple versions, you can use it on your mobile, computer, tablet...

Duolingo is using great technics to make learning easy for you, there are audio exercises, short stories...Duolingo has a great rewarding system, to make you really motivated to learn, you can practice any language you want anytime and there are no limits, the thing that I really liked more,
that the app is always in touch with you and sends you notifications every day to remind you of your lessons, to be honest, the software is soo fun, I really enjoy it, and i use it most of my time.it has such a big impact on our lives.

Cons

the thing that i liked least, The ads.
I don't see that ads are a good idea, and i think that can be affecting people while learning and distract them.

Dorota
  • Industry: Renewables & Environment

Great for getting familiar with a new language

Reviewed on 21/9/2023

I find it helpful to pick up the basics of a new language and don't feel completely lost in a foreign country!

Pros

It's a fun way to kick off learning a new language. The courses are well thought and the repetition helps to consolidate the knowledge. It has a very good design and is easy to use. The community aspect is also motivating.

Cons

The languages to learn are quite limited if my native language is not English. The progress tracking changed more than once which can be confusing. I also wish there were more in-depth explanations of some theoretical aspects.