VideoPad

Video making and editing software

4.3/5
4.2/5
4.4/5
3.9/5

Elena
  • Used Daily for Free Trial

Home studio with VideoPad

Reviewed on 4/10/2021

It is a video editor functioning across multiple platforms and used for creating high-quality videos. The software is appropriate for both start-ups and experienced users in the field. It will facilitate you through the entire process- from selecting files to exporting your videos. You might use different formats (.3GP, AVI, WMV), or the most popular one- MP4. You may edit the files on your PC, YouTube channel, Vimeo, or choose another location, such as Dropbox, Google Drive, and OneDrive. Also, you can create DVDs and 3D video files or adapt the clips to a specific phone/tablet.

Pros

The interface is intuitive. All the main tools are at the top of the screen, grouped in 7 tabs with large icons. The starting point is the Media Library, where you drag your files (Video/Audio/Images). You can record a video, audio, narration, voiceover; then add visual or sound effects, soundtracks, texts and subtitles. The Suite tab provides various options (graphic animation, image slide show, file conversion). You might even compose your own music to the video (the Crescendo icon). The most impactful feature is the timeline where video and audio tracks snap together. After dragging the file from the Media Bin, they appear on it automatically, and you can work on them with ease.

Cons

It might require time to explore all the features of the product. Putting it into practice will be easier for users having experience with making videos or prior knowledge in acoustics to process the audios. Otherwise, you can use the Quick Start Guide and Video Tutorials to get familiar with the software functionality. They are free and workable; only the phone support is paid.

• Industry: Nonprofit Organisation Management

Endless possibilities in a simple tool

Reviewed on 2/6/2022

I cannot get enough of this simple and inexpensive tool. I will keep recommending it even when asleep.

Pros

There is a lot good to say about VideoPad. I cannot count how many times I have recommended it for various reasons. It is simple, intuitive, easy to instal and not PC resource hungry. I could write endlessly about its UI, Effects, integration with NCH suite softwares such as WavePad, MixPad and so on. However, my most used feature has been SUBTITLES. VideoPad makes importing, editing and exporting subtitles very easy. It supports the SSA, SRT and VVT files. I have always been able to create new subtitles for translation purposes very easily. The subtitles can be adjusted for specific durations, background and text fonts. Each subtitle can be edited and one can playback and check how they appear till happy with the result.

Cons

The subtitles auto generate is wanting. It often generates a lot of errors which are not worth spending time to correct and it is better to just create a new file from scratch. I think the problem is the Microsoft speech recognizer. May be if VideoPad would allow another speech engine like google things would be better.

Mohammad Ismail
  • Industry: Business Supplies & Equipment

The Best VIDEO Editing Software Ever.

Reviewed on 28/9/2022

Excellent and I really love using it because it is easy to navigate on its platform, the Software is too Friendly that you will learn more technique in film editing a very-very short time and you will produce a unique and professional Films as if you are a Film Director.

Pros

The most important feature of this software is the easyness of USER to navigate in all features and effects of Film Editing that includes Cropting,Scaling, positioning,transparency, GreenScreen, use of Filters and many more features that will satisfy your Editing needs and Requirements to produce - AV Films.

Cons

The Software is Good but sometimes I experience some bugs that bothers my Editing and rendering.

Can't Recommend. Read the Fine Print. It is *really* a 6 mos subscription.

Reviewed on 1/2/2021

We were able to quickly catch on but discovered the quality of videos we produced were very low quality.

Pros

Was able to learn quickly and sort out features.

Cons

Purchase is valid and updated for 6 mos. After 6 mos, updates will be applied and your "license" code will be invalid.

You can re-install your purchase version IF you kept your original download.

License codes are not transferable between multiple computers that you own or if you get a new computer.

Videos recorded at 5000kbps lose 90% of their bitrate upon exporting.

Response from NCH Software

Hi,
For this issue: "Videos recorded at 5000kbps lose 90% of their bitrate upon exporting."
It would be best answered by our technical support team. Please contact them here - - https://www.nch.com.au/support.html Sorry for the inconvenience.

Sarah nabih
  • Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

My own experience with creating my you-tube content through videopad.

Reviewed on 29/7/2022

Overall, I had a very positive experience about using the software, I would choose it any day I need to do anything related to video editing (in specific) in a quick easy especially on a laptop / computer with limited capabilities (as it is a light one).

Pros

There are many pros for this software, but based on my personal experience, I believe the most important part that needs to be highlighted and celebrated is that the software is completely a light one on your computers in comparison to other software ( It runs smoothly and easily). The rendering process happens easily and quickly, without burning out rams or block using of other software at the same time.

Cons

If there is something that needs improvement, is maybe making the interface more user friendly, less complicated as sometimes I consume time searching for the things I need to do , that's why I prefer using it in video editing more than video creation.

JAZE
  • Industry: Architecture & Planning
  • Used for 1-5 months

VideoPad Breakdown

Reviewed on 16/8/2021

I can make quick music videos with it. My niece has been nagging me to show her how to get into video editing for her YouTube channel and she feels as though this is the software that she is most comfortable with.

Pros

I can edit videos in 3D which brings a new dynamic to your project if you're not used to that. I also found the video stabilization function to be of utmost importance and I'm sure a lot of you aspiring video editors out there will feel the same way too.

Cons

The green screen effect was not as easy to find as I would have wanted it to be. As a matter of fact, I didn't even know the software was capable of that until I stumbled upon it while randomly pressing buttons. So all in all I would like for that feature to be made obvious and easier to set up.

FXhome

Reasons for Switching to VideoPad

From what I could gather, a lot of people told me for some reason to steer clear of it. So I did.
Jayla
  • Industry: Arts & Crafts
  • Used for Free Trial

App Is Amazing for Beginners!

Reviewed on 23/3/2020

This app was helpful for YouTube videos until I had issues with rendering the video.
Back when I used it it reminded me of early 2000's movie makers. Not bad over all but just didn't work out for me.

Pros

I really enjoyed this app! Easy to use, Free no water marks, easy to use. When you have the feature to render it comes out in ok quality. I love the most that its free and easy to use. I'm not the hugest fan of this app but I would recommend it for school projects or quick slide shows. The app si very useful for starters.

Cons

The program doesn't render videos after a while, less features than I hoped to have like in the transition effects.

Supun

VideoPad - Simple Video Editor

Reviewed on 17/12/2019

VideoPad is simple video editing software. This is not a professional video editor. But we can use this software to edit a simple video. Many transitions and video effects are included in VideoPad and we can use them to create a nice video as our wish. Both free version and paid version of VideoPad is available. If you are a beginner to video editing you can use free version and practice. We can make a good video using the free version also. VideoPad is a great tool for the beginners in video editing field and they can learn lot of things from this software because it is very simple to use.

Pros

VideoPad has a simple user interface and it is easy to use. NCH team has released two versions of this software. One version can be used for free. We can use the free version to try the software. This is a great opportunity for users because they can buy the software if they are satisfied with the features of the software. This software comes with many visual effects. I really like this software because of the simplicity. We do not need to follow any course to learn VideoPad. I learn it through using the software itself. This software supports many common video formats such as avi, mpeg, wmv, divX, Xvid, mp4, mov, vob etc. After finishing the edit we can directly burn it to a DVD or we can upload it to the YouTube through the software. No need to do the burning or uploading process separately.

Cons

We cannot output the video in mp4 format if we use the free version of the software. It is the major disadvantage of the free version. Because mp4 is the most common video format that supports most of the video players, this is a big drawback to VideoPad. But we can output mp4 video if we purchase the software. VideoPad is not suitable for professional video editors. Here we have only a limited amount of visual effects. VideoPad takes much time to render a video. Therefore we have to wait long time to get the final video output after editing the video.

Anil
  • Industry: Information Services
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

Simple & Lightweight Video Editor

Reviewed on 16/7/2022

There is a lot to like about VideoPad. It is simple, straightforward, easy to install, and does not need a lot of PC resources.

Pros

I've been using VideoPad for a long time and thoroughly love working with it. It is quite simple to edit 360 videos using VideoPad. You could even write your own music to accompany the video.

Cons

The visual effects of VideoPad are basic. Also, the audio editing is puzzling and difficult. There are occasionally issues with export and import.

Kelly

Full-Featured yet Easy to Use

Reviewed on 2/10/2022

Pros

I began using this program as a quick-and-dirty video editor to create a shortened clip with fade in and fade out. I enjoyed the ease of use, and as I began exploring some of the more advanced features I realized that even the free version had more than enough capability to meet nearly all my needs.

Cons

One downfall of this program is the requirement to download individual "apps" rather than have them all available as a comprehensive suite.

• Industry: Higher Education
  • Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

An economic alternative to iMovie

Reviewed on 31/12/2018

Overall I'd recommend and has recommended this software to a lot of people, friends and family , to be specific, at least 8 people use this software because of me. I have made video gifts for the loved ones , and that too at very short notice period, takes less than half hour to make incredible birthday video gifts ,all for non-profit purpose, only thing i gained is love and respect of family and friends.

Pros

I absolutely adore this software, i have several reasons for that , it is also the first video editing software i used. I have been using this software from last 6 years now, and for 5 years it remained my primary video editing software. I downloaded it in 2012 because all other software were asking for money (and i am not rich, from a developing country), and this one was free so i downloaded it and the first thing i noticed is the ease of use, i was literally able to do the required tasks without any prior experience or even the tutorials, its so easy to use.
2nd thing i like the the precision it offers when you have to stop or cut at a particular instant, it really allows you to do that and mix several clips.
3rd feature i use the most is clip speed, i make several kitchen videos in which quick action is required and the customization of variable speed, allows me to make videos more presentable and rich.
4th feature i use is text to speech, i use it in my videos, it helps me keep my identity anonymous and get my message across the somewhat dangerous political spectrum in my country.
5th feature that i love a lot is i can export videos in 720p .mp4 format easily,
6th feature that i learned only this year is using green screen, yes it allows you to change your background image/video and this really amazed my friends a lot. I have made birthday video gifts, cooking videos, edited movies for myself, made short video clips, edited music, its a complete package.

Cons

there really aren't many cons, except one or two , you'll have to really go nitpicking for them to showup
first and biggest one is the speed, the time it takes to load a video is less but processing the video takes eons of time, especially if its in HD or full HD. The main reason i shifted from videopad, is the processing speed, be it exporting a HD video or processing it for slow or fast motion, it takes a lot of time while other software does that, atleast the processing part, in split seconds.
the second one is lack of beautiful fonts on text slides, they are just plain boring or uninteresting, I have to go to extra lengths to create slides in powerpoint and then use those screenshot images in video, to avoid the built in text slide in software.
third and final one is the ease of using it fades away in video effect, every time i had to go under the tab video effect, like picture in picture or green screen, first i had to take a video tutorial and then the shifting of images was also not as easy as the rest of software is. you have to consider a lot of parameters.

Jim Paul

VideoPad for Easy and Convenient Video Editing

Reviewed on 22/4/2021

I would give this software 3.5 out out of 5 stars because despite its basic features, it still stands out as a convenient tool that doesn't require much effort learning its buttons. The interface is so user-friendly and is a top-of-the-line application among video-editing tools.

It's not that pricey, that's why anyone can just afford it. And if you're lucky, you might be able to buy a premium version at a discounted price.

For a classroom teacher like me, I don't need high-end software other than a basic video-editing app like this. It works best for me because I'm able to accomplish much (creating video lessons for my classes) with less effort. It's super time-saver! Quality videos created with efficiency-- all thanks to VideoPad!

Pros

I like the easy-to-use features of VideoPad software because I find them convenient for newbies like me. In fact, it didn't take long for me to get the hang of the buttons because they are just plain and simple. The app is classic and is super user-friendly!

Also, there is pretty much a wide array of downloadables to choose from ranging from background templates, audios, transitions to font styles, stickers, and other effects. I also love the fact that the software allows users to update its system once in a while until a certain period of time where the user must purchase it again. By the way, I did avail the product at a discounted price, which makes this software really amazing.

Cons

For all the good things the VideoPad software has, unfortunately, it also comes with some disadvantages, one of which is its limitations when it comes to its effects and other elements. The functions of the tools are just plain basic, that if in case one wonders going technical or advanced in its video presentation, this application is not the one I would recommend. However, I could suggest that for optimum utilization, this can just be used as an easy-to-use software to complement other products out in the market, because this app also has other features that some tools don't have.

• Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

VideoPad delivers when it comes to both both audio and video editing

Reviewed on 19/5/2022

Best for editing both audio and video files.

Pros

To start with, the menu bar looks somewhat familiar to a Microsoft office tool. I know, that may sound funny being said of a video editing software, but it made me feel at home with it. This allowed me to settle down easily and learn the program. Most of the Important tools are well laid out on the menu bar for easy access. When I imported my video files including the images and audios, I liked how VideoPad organized them into their respective bins without the need for me to create footage folders. This software is simplified and yet punches well above its weight. I would recommend it to anyone at any video editing skills level.

Cons

I experienced some freezes here and there which probably could be related to my computer hardware configuration.

Heidi
  • Industry: Arts & Crafts

Much More Functional Than Similar Priced Software

Reviewed on 26/10/2018

I really like VideoPad. After struggling with other similar software I find it a huge relief to use their interface. When I create Intros, I go to other software to do that and bring it into VideoPad. But that's the only thing I create elsewhere. Much more robust and a lot easier to use than Wondershare Filmora.

Pros

I love that it's possible to create multiple video and audio tracks all layered. Wondershare Filmora does not allow this (!).
It's also possible to drag the tracks right and left on the timeline. Wondershare Filmora, for example, does not allow this either which makes it very challenging to do anything complex. So Videopad supports complex videos with many layers, which is what I always end up creating.
This software was the easiest video software for me to learn to use. The user interface is generally intuitive.
It has a lot of different kinds of transitions - definitely adequate for anything I plan to do
It has a lot of adjustment tools - ways to adjust the video color etc. - for the price.

Cons

It doesn't have as good intros as other software (Filmora Wondershare and Typito have way better intros)
Once a transition vanished from my video and even with emailing Help I couldn't ever future out a way to fix it. I had to do that part of the video in another program ultimately which was super inconvenient. But this is the only time that ever happened. Ever since transitions have always stayed.
The Help responses were slow and none of them helped. But at least people are there and do answer at least part of the time.

Simple and loaded!

Reviewed on 7/6/2022

It is very simple and loaded with a lot of good features and a great video creation and editing tool at any skill level

Pros

One does not need a lot of time to get started with VideoPad. Primarily, this software is presented with proof as a very easy and well-organized software for both creating and editing videos. From the start, importing images, videos and texts is easy and in an organized manner into respective bins.
Mostly I am working with VideoPad for YouTube Videos and one of its best features is the ability to clip preview the audio file on its own. With this feature I am able to assign a fade in from the start of the audio file to the cursor position or from the cursor position to the end of the file for a fade out. Editing The audio file is very intuitive as well. I often will unlink the file from the video, save it as a separate file and edit it in WavePad and finally bring it back to VideoPad and replace the original file.

Cons

I would have liked VideoPad to have a scrubbing feature on the preview as this would help dial specific positions both for audio and video editing.

Charles
  • Industry: Management Consulting

Fit my purposes perfectly. Not too high end or ridiculous learning curve, my 1st video in 10...

Reviewed on 7/12/2020

Pros

I wasn't looking for an extreme high end video production platform with endless hours of instructions for features I'll probably never use. Just wanted something that was basic but high enough quality for youtube and presentations, straightforward, easy and intuitive to use.
VideoPad seems to fit that purpose perfectly. Already have the NCH WavePad and MixPad audio recording & mixing platforms, so was familiar with interface, and wanted to as easily as possible merge my video and audio files together, quick and easy.
Very reasonably priced for what it is. Haven't tried the tech support yet, but haven't had a need to.

Cons

Pros:
Very easy and intuitive interface. Without even reading any instructions, just started right in with an 8 minute long AVI video file, and a WAV audio file. In less than 10 minutes, had this edited together and posted up to YouTube.

Cons:
At the moment, there might be some hidden cons in there, but at least for my basic purposes, have had no troubles yet.

Syed

‘VideoPad is a dynamic and user-friendly tool’

Reviewed on 17/9/2020

As I mentioned, I like to use Video Pad and this is more purposeful than similar priced produced. So, my overall experience with VideoPad is very good.

Pros

I am using VideoPad for a long time and I totally enjoy it when I work with it. Video editing became an interesting job for me. Because this tool allows you to choose a different video format. So that you can make the perfect videos for YouTube which increases the possibility of more view of the video. I would say this is a great advantage of using this tool. To edit 360 videos with VideoPad is super easy. I like to be creative with my videos and export those in a different format is a great option for me.

Cons

I wish if they could have more features and functions. Sometimes, I also observed to export different videos is a slow process. However, I think it’s a helpful tool and cost-effective.

Response from NCH Software

Hi there, thanks so much for your thoughtful and detailed review. This is incredibly helpful. We wanted to let you know we've taken the good and the bad elements you've mentioned in your review to heart. -NCH Software Team

Swapnil

Cost effective tool to edit, merge, split your videos with ease

Reviewed on 19/7/2019

Very cost effective tool and easy to use for video preparations

Pros

Good feature of sound amplify. If you have recorded some video with low sound volume and want to amplify it then this tool has great feature to do it and it is very useful. I am able to amplify sound of videos with ease. It is easy to add subtitles to video. I am able to define videos targeted with subtitles shown in the video itself instead of SRT file

Cons

limitedsupport for animated videos or videos with special effects. Text to speed conversion is not 100% accurate and there would be errors in text generated from speech

Response from NCH Software

Hello there,

Thank you for your feedback. We offer free video tutorials that will allow you a deeper understanding of our basic features and tools including help with animated films. You can view those tutorials here: https://www.nchsoftware.com/videopad/tutorial.html#animation

-NCH Software Team

MICHAEL
  • Industry: Consumer Electronics

Smallest Video Editing Software I know

Reviewed on 28/6/2021

Brilliant software. Simple to use and takes very little of my PC's storage and RAM.

Pros

Most of video editing software or even audio editing software take up a lot of storage and ram. Not VideoPad. It's very small but can perform a lot of video editing functions. With this software, I can remove parts of the video that I don't want thus my video Ads are nice and clear. The fact that there's even an Android app for it makes it even more attractive

Cons

Since I started using this software, I have not had any problems that I can report here. NCH is doing a great job.

Santiago

It's worth every dollar

Reviewed on 8/5/2018

Easy to use, this program allows you to open almost any audio and video extension in the market. You can use its free version but it convinces you a lot, but it pays to pay a license for a work tool as good as this one. Others in the market worry about great visual details in the interface, but NCH reaches a balance that does not suffer your computer working or your patience.

Pros

What I like most is the simplicity that it offers to work with any video and audio. They offer you a platform of multiple resources for your video project. I have used it with complete satisfaction. Its use is not complicated, if you are looking for a good option and do not want to spend much this software is perfect with you. It is not as expensive as other options in the market, and it offers you, export in formats that others do not. I am very satisfied.

Cons

They should improve the details of the user interface, not bad, but it can be better. I like that it does not demand so many resources from the teams.

• Industry: Motion Pictures & Film
  • Used for 6-12 months

A must have for editing any video

Reviewed on 29/7/2019

VideoPad helps in day to day video editing needs. Its quick, extremely easy to learn, yet robust and immensely powerful in what it does. VideoPad is an extremely stable software. It is a must have for those who want to edit their videos without diving deep into technicalities of video editing.

Pros

The best thing about VideoPad is that anybody can edit a video with this software right out of the box. VideoPad is so easy and intuitive to use and the learning curve is almost nil. So if you want to edit video in the blink of an eye, then this is the software. Plus it has several handy tools to edit your video like a pro.

Cons

All though one can edit videos of any sort with this program but VideoPad is not intended for movie making, thus lacks a lot of features that one would expect from a professional film editing software. So if anyone is looking for a software to edit films or movies then this is not the option.

Response from NCH Software

Hello there, thank you for your feedback.

In our efforts to enhance our products, are there any specific features you would like our team to add in future versions?: Kindly share your suggestions directly with our Development Team here: https://www.nch.com.au/suggestions/index.html

-NCH Software Team

Crystal
  • Industry: Professional Training & Coaching
  • Used for 2+ years

Almost lost me, got me back

Reviewed on 20/8/2020

Overall I use this to create testimonial videos. I like that it is affordable with tons of features, and most of all, when I was having issues with the last upgrade, customer service fixed it for me in under 10 minutes. I thought it wouldn't be worth the hassle and was considering buying another kind of software, but it was so easy to fix the issue.

Pros

I'm a novice, but I like that after a bit of learning, I could use it creatively with more options than I really needed

Cons

I feel like it is more on me as a novice user, but it take a long time to edit video!

Response from NCH Software

Hi there, Thank you very much for your balanced and fair review. We are glad that you are happy with VideoPad. We've taken your thoughts to heart and we will continue to make improvements on our next releases based on your recommendations. -NCH Software Team

Michael Ugo

Video Pad

Reviewed on 27/5/2019

The overall view of Video Pad is completely satisfactory, very simple , affordable but delivers high quality audio visual output.

Pros

It is very simple but very effective to use with a high quality HD Audio / Video output. Also, the video and audio channel offers multiple layers, enabling video editor to add different visuals and adjust differs audios. It comes with additional audio wave pad mixer enabling a perfect audio transitions and videos transitions cuts .

Cons

I consider they should work on improving the 3D effects because some of the effects are little outdated.

Response from NCH Software

Hello Michael,

Thank you for your feedback. In our efforts to enhance our products, we thank all of our user's feedback. Kindly suggest any tools or effects you think can enhance our program here: https://www.nch.com.au/suggestions/index.html

-NCH Software Team

William

Videopad is Impressive

Reviewed on 11/8/2022

I used videopad without knowing video editing but because the product is users' friendly, I learned how to use videopad all on my own.

Pros

Very users' friendly and easy to learn most functions

Cons

The software is not fully tested before release.

• Industry: Professional Training & Coaching

It gets the job done, with lots of bells and whistles

Reviewed on 17/7/2019

Pros

I like how easy it is to export video in different formats from VideoPad. I also like how easy it is to pull clips from larger videos. I use it weekly to pull clips from long-form videos to create more bite-sized content for use on social. It was also very easy to train other users to do the same task.

Cons

The interface is a little basic looking. It reminds me of the old winamp. The features and functionality are huge, but the UI skin looks dated. This doesn't really bother me though, as I don't need shiny distractions when I'm trying to get some basic tasks done!