AVS Video Editor

4.3/5

240 Software options

Tracy A.
  • Industry: Legal Services

Would be perfect except for serious issues

Reviewed on 31/10/2019

The time problem is a serious one and could cause a problem when I testify in court. I have tried repeatedly to contact the company for help in resolving this issue, along with the time zone, but you can virtually never get a person to respond. If they would fix these two issues, the program would be perfect.

Pros

You can choose where to place the date and time on the video, the format, and the font. Works fairly quickly and easy to edit. You can also delete audio.

Cons

You cannot choose a time zone. (You could on the old version.) Once all my video is listed, I have to manually tell it to deduct five hours from my video time. I also skips time. For instance, my video may be running at 8:28 a.m. to 8:30 a.m., but the next segment (which should be 8:31) skips back to 8:28. It makes it appear as though I have altered something and I’m afraid it would not stand up in court.

You also have to buy the program for each computer you have, which is so wrong. I use my PC and my laptop, but I had to buy the program for each one. When my old PC crashed, and I bought a new one, I could not transfer the software to my new computer. I had to buy another one.

Dwight P.
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

Great Value for Home or Small Business Use

Reviewed on 7/1/2020

I have used this software to create DVDs of video taken at piano recitals. Piano students have recitals twice a year. I video each student as they play and create a DVD that combines all performances. The DVD is then distributed to parents. The ability to use transition effects and a disc menu are important in this application. I also use it for home video projects such as graduations, family gatherings and vacation videos.

Pros

Ability to select the video source from imported media files, web cam or screen capture.
Project files can be video, images or audio files. A nice and useful feature is the ability to add an editable color overlay to the project. The color is selected from a pallet. The size and orientation of the color patch is adjustable. This feature can be used to obscure a portion of the video. There is a provision for creating samples that can be used across video projects. The options for creating samples is the same as for creating the main media components.

The project can be built using a timeline or a storyboard. The audio effects can be adjusted. Options include noise removal, equalization, compression and pitch shifting. Likewise, video and images can be color corrected by adjusting brightness, temperature, contrast, saturation, gamma and hue.

A large number of transition effects are included that are used to move from one visual component to the next. It is very easy to trim a component video so that only the section of interest is included in the final production. The speed of the component video can be changed also.

There is an assortment of text effects and samples to choose from. These can be used as overlays or to add titles to sections of the video. Voice recording is available so that commentaries can be added. A disc menu can be created to make it easy to jump to any section of the final video. I used this feature when I created a video of piano students performing a

Cons

When a media file is added to the media library, a thumbnail image is displayed along with the media file name. Usually the thumbnail image is of a frame from the media file itself. I have noticed that sometimes, an image from a previously used media file is displayed instead. This can lead to an awkward situation depending on the content of the media file the frame is taken from.

The selection of styles available for the disc menu is limited. It would be useful if more styles were available for each topic. It would be ideal if some sort of editor were available so that one could create a style from scratch.

The storyboard interface is not very intuitive. It may be useful for the construction of very simple video projects where the transition from one video component to another is important.

Markos P.

Very intuitive software

Reviewed on 1/7/2021

AVS Video Editor has allowed our business to create instructional videos of our software using the screen capture feature. Has made things easier.

Pros

Even for an inexperienced user, the UI is very intuitive and simple to use. It was the first video editing software I had used, after trying a few trial versions of video editing softwares. AVS was so easy to use that I bought for the company after using the trial version.

Cons

This is probably due to hardware limitations of my pc, but sometimes when adding text the program becomes unresponsive. My computer is not built for video editing so I believe this is the reason for this. Saving the project frequently will help with this issue if you don't have a good graphics card. But even when using the progress in a computer without a graphics card, this issue happens very infrequently.

Deborah D.
  • Industry: Events Services

Easy Peasy

Reviewed on 1/7/2021

Installed beautifully, taught each staff member in 15 minutes and continue to be successful for my clients requests

Pros

Very user friendly. all staff 21-61 can use it easily

Cons

More music options - most of our clients are getting video montages with a lot of music changes and segways

James N.
  • Industry: Writing & Editing

A professional Investigators View

Reviewed on 1/7/2021

The use of AVS software suite has been a great experience and a tremendous value for the dollar. I use this product weekly and have written a product review in my magazine, PI MAGAZINE advocating and recommending this product to all private investigators.

Pros

Simple, easy to use with a large number of professionally produced help videos available.

Cons

I do not have any features I dislike with this software.

Hector H.

This is a must to have

Reviewed on 6/11/2019

Cut off parts on a video that I don't need for presentations or use in other programs

Pros

It doesn't crash and it is very quick .... go in do your thing and it's done in no time

Cons

I can't think of anything that goes under the "Cons" section

Paul G.

Excellent Video Editor

Reviewed on 1/7/2021

Wonderful product. I love it and use it daily.

Pros

The interface is easy to understand and therefore use.

Cons

There's a lack of exciting effects. And, some of the effects look a little old fashioned.

James B.

Great Value

Reviewed on 1/7/2021

This software has been a life saver many times from converting files to editing and producing videos. I would be lost without it.

Pros

I have been using AVS4you for over 10 years. This is solid software and each module can be used in a group or stand alone. Software complexity is the same as similar software. I use most of the packages every week and find they are an asset for my productivity. I would recommend this software for most users.

Cons

I would like to purchase a license for more than one user at a time.

Larry K.

AVS Video works for my Mid size company

Reviewed on 1/7/2021

Pros

Video and Audio manipulating software makes it easy yo get Instagram ready

Cons

Sell License packages in a more easier format to send to users

Lazaro V.
  • Industry: Security & Investigations

AVS Converter

Reviewed on 1/7/2021

Great experience all the way around.

Pros

It’s easy to use & to figure things out.

Cons

Clicking each clip together take a lot of time

Charles R.
  • Industry: Higher Education
  • Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees
  • Used for 2+ years

Nice software to have around

Reviewed on 1/7/2021

This is one of the simplest AVS video editors available on the market. Although I am pretty much an Adobe guy, I like having my AVS software around when I need to do screen captures or get something done quickly without a hassle. I've never had a problem using the software.

Pros

This is very intuitive software. I think anybody can learn the various programs in a short period of time.

Cons

The software is tied directly to the computer that you are using. If you want to use it on another computer, you'll have to buy another subscription.

Soumya C.
  • Industry: Performing Arts

Easy to use, inexpensive solution

Reviewed on 1/7/2021

Overall, AVS Video Editor does the basic job of video editing. While there are other products that offer a lot of additional functionality, those are expensive to buy, and also there is a learning curve for a user.

Pros

I purchased the entire suite of AVS4You products over ten years ago. Since then I have used different components of the suite, but mostly the video and audio converters and editor tools. I find the video editing tool easy to use and implement. For what I paid it is a good value for money.

Cons

The video editing capabilities are fairly basic. For example, the ability to provide titles and captions and use custom graphic templates is limited to preset templates that are available. The sound editing capabilities are fairly limited compared to other leading products.

Rick H.
  • Industry: Automotive
  • Used for 2+ years

AVS Video Editor is a great value!

Reviewed on 2/7/2021

I have enjoyed using this software for several years and I appreciate the high level of customer support.

Pros

I like the powerful editing features that are available in this low-price alternative software with a long-term licensing option.

Cons

This editor does not have all of the features that are available in the highest-end products, but is an excellent value-priced option.

Gabriel F.
  • Industry: Mechanical or Industrial Engineering

Great software

Reviewed on 5/11/2019

I use it but my daughter enjoys using it for her YouTube videos

Pros

I enjoy the ease of use and the cost is not outrageous which is a plus in choosing great software without paying too much

Cons

Needs more features to edit, more YoTube friendly to make edits and post.

William F.

from an occasional user

Reviewed on 1/7/2021

having flexibility in creation of video presentations

Pros

being able to splice and otherwise edit video and even isolate audio

Cons

nothing significant

maybe more user-friendly (versus esoteric) language during the editing process

Paul T.
  • Industry: Photography

Avs software is great

Reviewed on 17/1/2020

Pros

Avs software is great. I use it to edit and mix photos, music, and video together.

Cons

Nothing, it's great software. I have no trouble with it at all

Derick F.
  • Industry: Legal Services

Finley Investigative Solutions

Reviewed on 1/7/2021

Pros

Consumer-friendly product. This product allows our company to transfer video from our cameras without losing video quality. With this software, our clients receive professional top-notch final products.

Cons

There aren't any cons that I have found thus far. It fits our purpose perfectly.

Jo anne Z.
  • Industry: Performing Arts
  • Used for 6-12 months

Pleasantly Surprised

Reviewed on 3/12/2020

I have had the AVS Suite for a few years, but had only used the Audio Editor. Given the loss of in-person performances, we started moving toward video. For a recent project, I wanted to do some things with views and the environment view to make ti look like a party. I had no idea I could do so much with the Video Editor!! Our end result was pretty amazing...

Pros

It was more intuitive that I expected, allowing trial and error use of effects and features without compromising the original material

Cons

it was a little stiff joining two pieces of video

John F.
  • Industry: Management Consulting

AVS Review

Reviewed on 5/11/2019

Good experience in presenting completed work

Pros

Ease of assembling clips and arranging them to give a professional finished product

Cons

Adding special effects can be more easier to insert

Chris H.
  • Industry: Broadcast Media

Lifetime Licence rip-off - These guys are sharks!

Reviewed on 1/7/2021

Very bad support. AVS support wouldn't transfer licence. They said it is tied to a single computer. I have to keep buying licences when upgradinging computers.

Would not recommend at all.

Use Divinci Resolve - its free and they are activily developing the software.

Pros

Very good at sales. Very good at deceiving their customers. Lifetime licence is fake. The special offer deadlines are also fake.

Cons

When my old computer died - AVS support would not let me install my lifetime licence on the new computer. So these guys are real sharks. I've bought about 5 licences so far - so it add up.

The software hasn't improved in the 10 years that I've been using it.

Davin O.
  • Industry: Defense & Space
  • Company size: 5,001-10,000 Employees

Does just what I need at a great value

Reviewed on 13/7/2021

Very positive experience. I have been able to do desktop recording, insert other media, text, transitions and edits to make for a positive, professional video

Pros

It's fairly intuitive and easy to use for someone new to video editing like me. I struggled with some of the free options out there, and they didn't meet all of my needs.

Cons

Consider a better way for managing the media library. Especially imported media.

Rafay A.
  • Industry: Graphic Design

Excellent for Basic Video Editing

Reviewed on 21/4/2021

Pros

It's an excellent editing software for all the editors who do basic video editing. It's really very easy to use. Trimming, cutting, slideshow, and many more important features are available. All formats are available. I would recommend this to every video editor.

Cons

I really like every feature of it. It really gives us an effective and excellent result. SATISFIED!!

Marc N.
  • Industry: Writing & Editing

Very intuitive controls and tools

Reviewed on 5/11/2019

I've used several AVS products for years and they have never fallen short on what I needed them to do. I use AVS Video Editor to create piano lessons and short 'teaser' videos of my novels.

Pros

The user interface is easy to understand, making the learning curve a short one. I was producing instruction videos in one day after practicing with the tools.

Cons

Can't think of any downsides. I guess I need to type more in this box so I can click submit

Jack B.
  • Industry: Individual & Family Services
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

AVS is Tops

Reviewed on 19/7/2021

Benefits are I didn't have to use many different editor when using different formats.

Pros

The video conversion tool is use most in our organization. It provides ease of use and you don't have to take a course in order to get started.

Cons

I was use to using the Adobe CS4 applications. The learning curve was steep and time consuming. With AVS I was able to get right to work and produce a product that makes the viewer wow!

Amin J.

Reliable video editor

Excellent product

Pros

Easy to use and intuitive design, with many options for transitions between clips.

Cons

Text features (i.e. inserting text, rollover text etc) are a bit clunky to use, the least intuitive part of using the software. Also needs better video cropping options, i.e. it needs an easy visual cropping tool to crop video at any ratio or size without limitations.