AVS Video Editor

4.5/5
4.3/5

Imi C.
  • Industry: Computer & Network Security

I bought this for my school in 2014 with no experience and still making my video here.

Reviewed on 4/11/2021

I am happy with this, the design is straight forward and allow me to get in and out quickly.

Pros

This is a low budget, easy to learn and use software package for non professional who wish to create a few small project in a timely fashion.
It does not have a load of complication. It get the job done with a clean design.
It shouldn't be so difficult for anyone to look in a mic and recognize where the source of sound will be coming from. Import your footage and you can add music and noted with text and some built in lower thirds.
The two view modes - timeline and storyboard views - are very easy to get use too. I love the story line, allowing for the little space to drop cool built some transition.
This is a simple full package editor!

Cons

Lower thirds are quite not so impressive, but you can build your own.
I purchased the package with all the software at reduced unlimited lifetime price so no complaints here.
It does take a load of computing resource to product larger video. So please take note that a good GPU will make your workflow easier as compared to my low end i5core with 16GB Ram.

Glenn S.

Works For Me

Reviewed on 9/12/2021

I have found what works for me. I use it weekly to produce a single video project that is fairly similar from week-to-week. I have rarely explored features in the software beyond what I need to sucessfully complete my project. To keep it simple: It serves its purpose.

Pros

Images and Text are very easy to overlay in a video. This is the core reason I use this product. Nothing too fancy or complicated.

Cons

As with all video software, there is a sizeable "learning curve" that is helped by spending a lot of time, trial-and-error, and consulting Technical Support. But the learning curve is less than some other software that I have tried to use.

PowerDirector

Reasons for Choosing AVS Video Editor

I switched from AVS to CyberLink but switched back due to 1) familiarity and 2) cost. The cost was a minor reason. I simply could not duplicate in CyberLink what I know I could acheive with AVS so I switched back.

PowerDirector

Reasons for Switching to AVS Video Editor

Please review my previous answer under "Why did you make the switch?"
Md rashedul H.
  • Industry: Higher Education
  • Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

Outstanding video editor

Reviewed on 10/5/2022

Overall, I am very happy using the software. It is very easy to use.

Pros

It is one of the best video editing software. After editing by the software, it improves the video quality. It also improves recordings and screen. It is easy to use and it has saved my time. I am very happy to the software.

Cons

During playback, reproduction can be interrupted. Sometimes it crashes without any reason.

Tracy A.
  • Industry: Legal Services

Would be perfect except for serious issues

Reviewed on 31/10/2019

The time problem is a serious one and could cause a problem when I testify in court. I have tried repeatedly to contact the company for help in resolving this issue, along with the time zone, but you can virtually never get a person to respond. If they would fix these two issues, the program would be perfect.

Pros

You can choose where to place the date and time on the video, the format, and the font. Works fairly quickly and easy to edit. You can also delete audio.

Cons

You cannot choose a time zone. (You could on the old version.) Once all my video is listed, I have to manually tell it to deduct five hours from my video time. I also skips time. For instance, my video may be running at 8:28 a.m. to 8:30 a.m., but the next segment (which should be 8:31) skips back to 8:28. It makes it appear as though I have altered something and I’m afraid it would not stand up in court.

You also have to buy the program for each computer you have, which is so wrong. I use my PC and my laptop, but I had to buy the program for each one. When my old PC crashed, and I bought a new one, I could not transfer the software to my new computer. I had to buy another one.

Deana L.

Best Video Editor EVER

Reviewed on 7/4/2022

I absolute love this software and will sing it from the rooftops. I started editing as a side part of my graphic design business and have used many different affordable programs. The other ones were super frustrating to find the features much less how to use them. They were stiff and hard to use as a beginner and weren't really affordable in the long run that I actually considered not including video editing in my services. AVS has saved me from spending so much wasted time and money plus it's so much fun to use, I now look forward to working on the videos!!!

Pros

The question should be what didn't I like about this software because the answer is an easy nothing!! I love everything about this software and can't imagine being able to do my job without it. So, the answer is the value of software for the price. It does exactly what is should do (and a whole lot more) without costing a fortune!!

Cons

I've been using the software regularly and haven't found any issues yet. If I'm forced to give a con, it would be that it takes over an hour to produce. I know it takes that long so I plan my time around it so it really isn't a con in the long run.

John N.
  • Industry: Media Production

Best Value- Buy It!

Reviewed on 24/3/2022

Limited variety of fonts and sometimes it locks up while rendering videos. Frequent saves can prevent loss of hours of work. It's important not to have multiple applications running in the background when producing your final video..
Other than that it works great..
Expanding the font library and controls would be major.

Pros

It comes as a suite of applications that work together seamlessly for remarkable results! I've been a user for years! Great Value. You could spend more buy why would you?

Cons

Sometimes it crashes while rendering videos although there have been improvements.

pdfFiller, Audacity and Adobe Photoshop

Reasons for Switching to AVS Video Editor

I chose it for the price but use it for the value. I was lucky to recognize the value a long time ago
Stephanie D.

Excellent Product!

Reviewed on 25/3/2022

I am looking forward to updating our school website with video editing and being able to produce videos of student performance.

Pros

I know everyone raves on Apple products like imovie. I could not follow how to add and edit the way I wanted to with that program with just simple tasks. Even Windows Movie Maker was making simple edits more complicated than they needed to be. I found I was wasting a lot of time using these video editing programs.
AVS Video Editor was EXACTLY the product I needed! I can easily drag and drop media like photos, songs, and video into the program and edit, splice, merge, and add all the fun transitions and effects without having to read a manual to figure it all out. It is very simple to use, but delivers powerful, professional results! Thank you for creating this video editing program!
I am so thankful for the person who recommended it to me!

Cons

My only con is that I didn't know about this sooner. I LOVE this program.

Diane therrien P.
  • Industry: Publishing

From a Children's Book Author

Reviewed on 25/3/2022

It is the best video maker or editor that I found. I have tried other products but I came back to AVS.

Pros

I use AVS video maker and editor to make videos as book trailers for my YouTube channel

Cons

The video effects could be upgraded. I have been using this product for 10 years and this feature never changes.

• Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

AVS Video Editor Review

Reviewed on 27/5/2022

I have been using this software for a while and I love it, I recommend using AVS Vidoe Editor.

Pros

AVS Video Editor is easy to use, It didn't tack me much time to learn how to use it. I really love that I can do all my designs with minimum effort. Also, it is inexpensive and gives you a great experience.

Cons

AVS Video Editor is a great software and the only thing that I find is that it takes a lot of time to finish one video, but it's okay because the quality of the final design deserves it.

Matyas K.

My review about the software

Reviewed on 22/12/2020

Overall, I am very pleased with AVS. I purchased a lifetime version of it and I have been using it on a weekly basis. I had an issue with the serial number that got resolved really quick - a nod to the customer service. It is very easy to create videos with nice effects, the software is not CPU or memory consuming and is ideal for beginner editors as well as for advanced users. It would be really nice to have multicam syncing for B-rolls, support for Linux and the possibility to export a file in 60fps.

Pros

I really like how easy it is to use the software. It is great, if you would like to edit some footages, use on screen video comments with chroma key, make some slide shows and so on. It is really versatile and has a lot of options when it comes to transitions and other effects such as filters and color correction. I have been editing videos with AVS for the past 5 years or so and I never really encountered a problem. It really has all the functions and tools you need to have and it is very easy to use. Also, it is very CPU and memory-friendly, so one doesn´t have to have a high and PC to use it.

Cons

My biggest issue with AVS is that it doesn´t allow to edit in B-rolls, I mean multicam footages. There is a workaround, but AVS doesn´t sync videos together. The software gives one the possibility to use multiple audio tracks, but it is not possible to add another main video, just a secondary one. I would really love to be able to have multicam video footage syncing, because I make music videos as well, whereas I use multiple angles. Other than that, I am a satisfied user.

Dwight P.
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

Great Value for Home or Small Business Use

Reviewed on 7/1/2020

I have used this software to create DVDs of video taken at piano recitals. Piano students have recitals twice a year. I video each student as they play and create a DVD that combines all performances. The DVD is then distributed to parents. The ability to use transition effects and a disc menu are important in this application. I also use it for home video projects such as graduations, family gatherings and vacation videos.

Pros

Ability to select the video source from imported media files, web cam or screen capture.
Project files can be video, images or audio files. A nice and useful feature is the ability to add an editable color overlay to the project. The color is selected from a pallet. The size and orientation of the color patch is adjustable. This feature can be used to obscure a portion of the video. There is a provision for creating samples that can be used across video projects. The options for creating samples is the same as for creating the main media components.

The project can be built using a timeline or a storyboard. The audio effects can be adjusted. Options include noise removal, equalization, compression and pitch shifting. Likewise, video and images can be color corrected by adjusting brightness, temperature, contrast, saturation, gamma and hue.

A large number of transition effects are included that are used to move from one visual component to the next. It is very easy to trim a component video so that only the section of interest is included in the final production. The speed of the component video can be changed also.

There is an assortment of text effects and samples to choose from. These can be used as overlays or to add titles to sections of the video. Voice recording is available so that commentaries can be added. A disc menu can be created to make it easy to jump to any section of the final video. I used this feature when I created a video of piano students performing a

Cons

When a media file is added to the media library, a thumbnail image is displayed along with the media file name. Usually the thumbnail image is of a frame from the media file itself. I have noticed that sometimes, an image from a previously used media file is displayed instead. This can lead to an awkward situation depending on the content of the media file the frame is taken from.

The selection of styles available for the disc menu is limited. It would be useful if more styles were available for each topic. It would be ideal if some sort of editor were available so that one could create a style from scratch.

The storyboard interface is not very intuitive. It may be useful for the construction of very simple video projects where the transition from one video component to another is important.

George V.

The best of the bunch

Reviewed on 1/7/2021

AVS Video Editor - along with other AVS products - are my go-to option for all of my current video projects. The ease-of-use and versatility are the primary reasons for using it exclusively. I have not looked for alternative programs because I don't need to. I'm very happy with this one. It does just what it needs to do, and it does it well.

Pros

The user-focused nature of the interface and support videos. It has a semi-intuitive interface that is quickly learned. Watch a couple of videos, and you're ready to create simple videos. The primary features of other major video editors (Adobe Premiere, etc.) are done just as easily, without the bulk or price of the others. If I would like to add a new component, it is very likely that a short video exists that will teach it to me in a very short time. Both the drag-and-drop features and the integration with other AVS programs makes it a seamless experience.

Cons

1) The text options are limited, especially if I want to make some simple titles. It is possible, but I have to take one of the text options and rework it so that it is more simple and direct. Too many fancy options, or silly ones, that I would never use. 2) When editing a video, the "play arrow" moves to the right until the end of the window, after which there is a sort of page turn to the next section. It would be nice if the "play arrow" stayed in the middle and the video moved behind it, so that I can add components - such as overlay images - that occur in the center of the screen, instead of constantly manipulating the video stream so that my work area is right in front at the center. 3) When the reference files are moved to a different folder, the AVS program can't find them (fair enough). I haven't found a way to relink them to the same files at a different location.

Robert B.
  • Company size: 5,001-10,000 Employees

Very Powerful Editor

Reviewed on 1/7/2021

I like the editor because it allows me to crop and resize while keeping the aspect ratio, it does not add additional artifact to the output file and using it with AVS Video converter make it a seamless transition

Pros

Easy to use, and fast on rendering (if you have a good cpu)

Cons

The features are good but lack support for 3rd party hardware. What I mean I have the Nvidia 1050 TI which has cuda and hardware acceleration built in but currently this version does not take advantage of this, or it just does not work on my current installation.

Secondly it does not fully support DVD compliant output, as it is more leaning toward MP4 and H.264/265, because most of the things I do are in broadcast format MPEG-2, If I edit in this software I can only export to MP4 or h.264/265 and then use another program to convert to MPEG-2 which adds more time to my project and the quality suffers because I and using multiple compressions

Hendri P.

I am satisfied, but with a little flaw...

Reviewed on 25/3/2022

It is quite satisfactory and I will continue to use it in carrying out one of my work in editing videos in the hospital.

Pros

The video editing software is quite user friendly. I used the video editing software from the previous versions for quite a while and was quite satisfied, even recommending it to some of my friends. But that doesn't mean there are no flaws. I still have discomfort in some ways as well.

Cons

The shortcomings that I experienced and this means a lot if there is an improvement in the following version. The downside is that I can't choose multiple video scenes at once to filter the sound and color. This is quite a waste of time if you have to adjust it one by one, even though everything will be given the same setting. So, I really hope that there will be an update that can accommodate my proposal. thanks.

VideoStudio

Reasons for Choosing AVS Video Editor

AVS price is more suitable for me

Adobe Premiere Pro

Reasons for Switching to AVS Video Editor

The price and value comparison
Brett T.

Product is Good - Support is Great

Reviewed on 1/7/2021

I need to create both personal and professional projects and the software has met all my requirements in terms of effects and producing the finished product.

Pros

AVS Video editor offers many features found in more expensive software. It is intuitive and easy to use. In fact, I spent about an hour teaching my teenage daughter the ins and outs of the software. She understood it and was quickly able to adopt the platform and create her first product.

When I had issues with the latest version now playing nice with the latest version of Windows, the support was amazing for a product I purchased one time...years ago.

I like there whole suite of products.

Cons

Despite having adequate memory and processor speed on my computer(s) (I have had the editor software on a few different computers over the years), it Editor software seems to require extra compute resources. Not just during the expected "Produce" process, but when layering aspects of your project. This is where patience come in and the reminder that this software is doing amazing things not (easily or affordably) possible by the consumer a dozen years ago.

I also wish some of the default font templets were more basic. While everything is customizable, it takes extra time to take a "fancy" template and simplify it for my "basic" needs.

Adobe Creative Cloud

Reasons for Switching to AVS Video Editor

I like Adobe products, but there can be a steep learning curve and the Adobe cost (now subscription) can be price prohibitive for my occasional video editing needs.
Carey J.

When looking for Audio-Visual software, look here

Reviewed on 1/7/2021

For home use only so can't speak to a business related experience, however for personnel use, creating video's for social media is a breeze. It makes merging or combining short clips from the same topic very easy and provides an end product that looks impressive. The ease of being able to take VHS tape videos and clean them up and save them in a digital format was a great find especially using a software as powerful as the AVS Video editor.

Pros

I have a significant amount of old records, cassette tapes, VHS tapes as well as comprehensive music library. AVS has the individual software programs for all my needs and has especially been instrumental in digitizing my older media. Big benefits include being able to convert files to a common file structure, to "normalize" volumes across the library as well as improving quality of the recordings, both audio as well as video. The ease of splitting, cropping, producing in a choice of file formats, adding transitions, additional audio tracks, are but a few of the beneficial options of using this software.

Cons

I found the audio/visual synchronization when digitizing VHS tapes to be a little off from time to time. Not sure if it was the software or the hardware converters being used, other then that I have no complaints about any of the software programs.

Pauline E.
  • Industry: Civic & Social Organization

Easy to use, great results

Reviewed on 7/10/2019

I used it for several years to process the video recordings from a church service and create DVDs for use in nursing homes (so shut-ins could see the service), editing as necessary to keep the total time within one hour. Now I use it for a Toastmasters club, to extract speeches and evaluations from the video recording, and make them available for people (on YouTube, with link from our club website) to see what we do in our meetings or for members to see their own performance to as to improve.

Pros

I have no background in doing any kind of video editing, but it is easy, using this software, for me to extract the clips I want from a file, edit out a short segment where needed, and create a file that can be either burned to a DVD or uploaded on YouTube. I also like not having to keep paying for a new license when a new release comes out, just download and install.

Cons

I find it difficult to figure out what features are available that I don't typically use. For instance, I wanted to try to improve the sound quality when the meeting took place in a very echo-y room. I finally figured out that the online help referred to a newer version of the software, and downloaded and installed that, but still had trouble figuring it out. The sound quality is still not what we would like, but considering the low cost of the software, and it does as well as it does, I can't really complain.

Ken H.

Easiest video editor I've found

Reviewed on 9/4/2022

I have used AVS Video Editor for at least ten years now on several different PC platforms. I keep coming back to it since I have yet to find another video editor that offers all the options that AVS Video Editor offers. I've tried more expensive programs, but they don't give me options to burn DVDs or to choose the video output format and some aren't able to read the video file types I use. I would give the AVS Video Editor a 9 out of 10 rating. There are some minor things that could be upgraded but it is still superior to many other editors out there.

Pros

I like the fact that the timeline is easy to understand and use. Other editors do not seem to have a set zero point to start which can make it difficult to know how to insert clips. I like having every clip on one line unless I'm using an overlay. Every element is easy to edit.

Cons

I've found a few things that I would like to see upgraded. 1) Scrolling titles are hard to get timed to the video clip. 2) When creating DVD's the Title only has one color option for the text which cannot be changed. 3) All videos created are limited to 720p as output even though 1280p and 4K video clips can be edited. As yet I haven't seen blue ray burning as an option. But that's not important since I don't have a blue ray disc burner.

DaVinci Resolve

Familiarity, Ease of Use and price
Stephanie S.
  • Industry: Computer & Network Security

Great Video editing and manipulation in a small package but with BIG features!

Reviewed on 13/12/2021

It's a great mid-tier editor, which doesn't soak you for hundreds of dollars while still providing great features.

Pros

The feature that was most impactful for me, was the editing features and the media library options. I use these tools to edit out, a video that isn't focused or has a situation in it that the Corporation can't use for the whole company.

Cons

I wish there were more available items to cover up, add to, and an easier "flattening" of tiers when using multiple tiers to edit videos.

Camtasia

Reasons for Choosing AVS Video Editor

mostly, the price of Camtasia is exorbitant for the time I used it. AVS was well priced and gave me the main features I was using in Camtasia at 1/3 the price.

Camtasia
Jasmine B.
  • Industry: Security & Investigations

Straightforward

Reviewed on 8/4/2022

Pros

I love that it’s simple and straight to the point. I upload my videos and able to merge clips, add time stamps, and save in multiple formats. It’s great for what I need it for.

Cons

I dislike that I have to individually add the Timestamp track to each clip. If it was more like crosstrax where it automatically syncs the time and I can edit the time afterwards I would give this 100%

Avis-marie B.
  • Industry: Entertainment

Use this product for over 10 years

Reviewed on 16/11/2021

You get so much more bang for your buck with this particular program. There are others that are out there that come with other hardware that I have purchased and none of them have half of the choices and things you can do with it unless you buy them a lacarte which makes them very expensive and very limiting. With this video editor your possibilities are limitless.

Pros

This product is easy to use, it just keeps getting better with each update I have a lifetime use of this product and every time that I use it I find something new and exciting. It has a lot of choices to make your video exciting and many choices in order to accommodate the customers I serve

Cons

When I find something I’ll let you know.

Lloyd S.

Best-Easy to use Video Editing Product

Reviewed on 18/4/2022

I have enjoyed being able to make my recorded product better than it was recorded using such options as transitions and video effects. These are great additions to any video.

Pros

I like being able to make quick edits (5-10 minutes) or being able to be as precise with edits as my patience will allow.

Cons

The Audio editing feature is my least desirable part of the Video Editor. Some improvement could happen here when making changes in volume and noise reduction. Equalizer could be a bit more variable and not so abrupt. Knowing what my limitations are, I try to get the best audio settings when making the initial video recording.

Adam R.
  • Industry: Entertainment

For daily needs for any in the Entertainment business, this software package is all you will...

Reviewed on 7/4/2022

For our day to day needs, this software fills the bill every time. Quick, intuitive, and very inexpensive. You will love it!

Pros

If you want something inexpensive and quick to understand and implement, AVS Video Editor is the way to go! What's not to love? Great price, amazing features and options, any file format to work in and save in, and so much more. It takes NO time to understand this software. Simplicity without losing quality and performance.
Word of Advice: Get AVS Audio Editor to go with it! You will have it all!

Cons

I can't think of any thing I like least about this software. My only regret is not getting it sooner!

Adobe Creative Cloud

Cost and simplicity!
Carey H.

Use this product weekly

Reviewed on 17/12/2020

Pros

I like that I can use several media in my presentation. The software has accepted every form of media I’ve used. I can pinpoint the exact point in my video to insert a title or photo.

Cons

It may be the computer I’m working with, but I’d love a faster production of my projects. As I’ve gotten more creative & am using different media, my productions have gotten longer & more complicated. My most recent upload was almost 2 gb. It took over an hour to produce an mp4 video.

Joseph G.
  • Industry: Nonprofit Organisation Management

Perfect for the price!

Reviewed on 9/12/2021

(0% of the time, the program does its job, but on occasion, I must restart a conversion due to failure.

Pros

Using the program is simplicity itself. When working on multiple video projects, ease of use is essential.

Cons

There are too many formats from which to choose. It gets very confusing to know which is the perfect one for any given application.