Payment Evolution

Online Payroll for Canada SMB

4.3 /5 (36 reviews) Write a Review!
4.1
4.5
Industry: Individual & Family Services

I am very pleased with this product

Reviewed on 21/4/2015

After using a PC based software which was difficult to use and didn't report the way we needed, this is a dream! We had an accountant and Point of Sale system and just needed a payroll component. This really fit the bill and so far, is working beautifully. It's so automated and yet, there are many ways to customize it (for example, vacation pay calculations for your province). I haven't found a way that it will calculate stat pay though. Remittances were a breeze with this easy app.
Each employee is sent the pay advice into their email or it can be printed for them.
As one starts the payroll run, all the information is filled out: the pay period dates, the hours if the employees are paid the same every pay period (so just change it to the hours they actually worked), their pay rate, etc.
Since it is cloud based, it can be run from anywhere around the world.
I am very pleased with this product. I actually look forward to payroll now.

Pros

Easy to use.
Product support was amazing for the couple of questions I have had.
Cost effective at $17/month (no hidden add-on fees)
Communicates payroll effectively with employee

Cons

I couldn't find a way to export employee information from my software to Payment Evolution, so had to enter it manually. With 10 employees it was fairly simple and just had to enter YTD amounts along with employee information.

Use a different payroll software

Reviewed on 17/2/2019

Pros

They will remit your taxes for you if you pay for that option. In terms of use for running the payroll it is fairly easy.

Cons

I've had it with PE's program. My last straw was just pulled. I spent the last 2.5 hours entering T4A's manually thinking it was saving each one each time I hit save and it said it was saved. It didn't save any of them. This is stacked on the fact that their software had a glitch and showed bills weren't paid when the payment actually did go through the first time. This technological error resulted in a substantial double withdrawal from the bank account. I also think it is a ripoff that it costs money any time you have to make a change. With other payroll software where the Bookkeeper is in charge you can amend and delete things without it costing $30-$100 each adjustment. Overall, I think there are way better options out there, and I know because I have used them. Just having 2.5 hours of my work go down the drain when I still had another 3 to go is my final straw. I will be using other software for clients going forward. I had come to this conclusion years ago, but was forced to use it again when a client had already been signed up with PE.

Likelihood to recommend: 0.0/10

Robert J.
Industry: Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing

Payroll Review

Reviewed on 15/2/2017

Quick and easy to use. Great support as well. Save me time doing my paper work and makes it easier for employees to get paied.

Pros

Quick and easy to use

Response from PaymentEvolution

Hi Robert!

Thank you for your kind words. We are happy to hear that PaymentEvolution is making it easier for you to pay your employees!

Todd S.
Industry: Retail

Payroll needs too many days notice to run with direct deposit

Reviewed on 9/11/2018
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

wouldn't recommend, there has to be an easier, and more cost effective way to do payroll, I'm thinking of going back to cheques because it is easier. I don't see any benefit of this system over a standard system like QuickBooks.

Pros

does the taxes...
allows direct payments to vendors, however, I would NOT recommend the service, you have to pay for a setup fee, the transaction fee is the same or more than the bank.

Cons

need to submit payroll too far in advance to allow direct deposit to work.
popup after every change slows the entry process
cant change multiple items then click save
reporting is clumsy
all of naivgation is clumsy
not very good instructions on how to run a payroll or hoe to set up properly, maybe better for an accountant but not for a general business owner

Alexandra B.
Industry: Restaurants

Easy to set up and use. Put the control back in our hands for payroll management.

Reviewed on 13/3/2018

Cheaper, faster, easier and more control over payroll!

Pros

We took our payroll in house a few months and so far we are really impressed with how easy Payment Evolution has been to use. Training and setup were easy and quick. We were able to customise all kinds of aspects of the system from the content of the pay stub emails to the various deductions for full time staff members. Not having to pick up cheques and distribute paystubs is way more time effective and we feel like we have greater control over our company's payroll.

Cons

Some of the areas of the software are not intuitive for users who are new to payroll.

Olumide J.

Reviewed on 15/2/2017

I find it relatively easy to use even with little knowledge about payroll/remittance to CRA. Needed something fast and efficient to do payroll and remittance for 1 employee and my experience has been excellent so far. Like the idea i can find all previous remittances in one place and the fact that T4 generation at year end is a breeze. In addition, employee gets a customized location where their payslips are stored for easy access.

Response from PaymentEvolution

Thank you for your feedback! we are SO happy that you are finding our system fast and efficient for your business. We are so happy to have you on board!

Suketu S.

Online payroll

Reviewed on 8/10/2011

The system is fantastic. It was simple to set up the few employees and proceses their payroll. I did not have to write or print cheques as the pay was automatically deposited in employees account. The best feature was the remitttance to revenue Canada as I now save penalty fees.

Pros

Easy to use. Do not need to keep records. No headache of remittance.
I access payroll from anywhere.

Cons

We get the same pay every 2 weeks . .I wish there was one click command to process payroll instead of entering time for employees

Dan D.

Great help for new business

Reviewed on 15/2/2017

Very helpful for a new business. Easy to deal with. Great staff and easy to use software. Would recommend to any new start up.

Response from PaymentEvolution

Hi Dan!

We are so happy to hear that you are finding our service helpful! We love working with startups and are grateful that you'd recommend us.

Kyle U.
Industry: Education Management

Biggest mistake was leaving Payment Evolution...but they took me back

Reviewed on 8/2/2017

Payment Evolution was my first experience with online payroll, and it beat the pants off Quickbooks! I halfed my payroll entry time, quartered my time spent on ROEs, and getting rid of cheque payments to staff while providing them with online record keeping all was good.
Then came the price restructuring and I found myself one staff member into the higher tier, and the competition offered a 'we'll match PE and save you another 10%'. WORST thing I have ever done was leaving PE. 8 month of inflexible software, overly complex user interface, errors, painful online reporting for staff, & customer service nightmare! I am so glad Payment Evolution was willing to take me back. Completely the opposite experience: support that knows what they are doing, that proactively offers assistance in a timely manner, intuitive software that is simple enough that I can usually find the answers I need on my own. They have written code just for me. I can't say enough good things about them.

My only pain (other than inconvenient for me pricing tiers) is that they haven't made their Business Payment service available to us Quickbooks offline folks yet. Yet.

Pros

Intuitive. Everything is simple and straightforward. I can figure out 90% of what I need to do myself, and in those 10% situations the support forum has descriptions detailed enough to get me back on track.

Cons

There is one text box that doesn't trigger when you press enter, instead you have to press the send button...grrrr...and its logout for inactivity is slightly too short for my liking.

Response from PaymentEvolution

Thanks for the feedback Kyle! We're really to happy to have you back and appreciate the feedback you've given us on pricing plans. QuickBooks (desktop) integration is available for payroll but not for business payments as you've pointed out. We're continuing to look at the business case for supporting QB desktop for business payments - it's a bit of a challenge given the offline nature of the product. - Kinga Jasek

Kelly T.
Industry: Medical Practice

payment evolution

Reviewed on 5/11/2018

Pros

This software is a great way to prepare and keep track of all your year end and day to day payroll needs.

Cons

Can take a bit of time to learn how to properly use.

Charlotte

Really easy to use payroll

Reviewed on 8/1/2013

With the new year we decided to look for a new payroll service to manage payroll for our 17 employees. We were using QuickBooks but the price kept going up.

We took a look at PaymentEvolution payroll and were immediately impressed by the simple interface. I actually learned how to use it within just a few minutes - and within about 15min of registering, we had finished our first payrun.

Best of all, PaymentEvolution sends the payroll information to QuickBooks so our accountant is happy.

Pros:
- easy to use
- fast to setup
- integrates with QuickBooks

Cons:
- Canada only (for now we're told)

Marissa K.
Industry: Nonprofit Organisation Management

Andrea's help with Year-End/T4 Generation

Reviewed on 16/2/2017

Andrea's support was amazing, we could not have done it without her. Her knowledge and sense of urgency was very much appreciated. Thank you for everything!

Response from PaymentEvolution

Hi Marissa :) thank you for the great feedback! we look forward to working with you in the future.

Mohit G.
Industry: Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing

System Analyst

Used Weekly for Free Trial
Reviewed on 18/12/2018

Pros

Quick, easy of use and very user friendly.

Cons

Difficult to printing of reports and lack of user manual.

Katherine M.

AWFUL!!

Reviewed on 10/3/2018

Paychequer and being on the cloud is nice but everything else about the system is horrible. Support is ok but they can never solve the problem because the system is horrible.

Cons

EVERYTHING! This software has potential to be a good software but it is lacking a lot. It looks user friendly but when you start looking for basic/accouting reports it lacks a lot. It isn't a trust worthy system. Our company also regrets buying this product for a year. BIG MISTAKE! Looking up reports is a nightmare. Especially when you are trying to create a payroll remittance report for a certain date. Avoid this product.

Gillian C.
Industry: Events Services

Easy to learn and use

Used Monthly for 1-5 months
Reviewed on 16/2/2017

Payment Evolution is easy to learn and the site is very user-friendly. There are some small quirks when trying to do any unusual payment types but the customer service was helpful in showing me how to navigate around them.

Pros

Easy to navigate and process payroll once setup is complete

Cons

Some quirks require tricky navigation when doing anything outside regular earnings.

Response from PaymentEvolution

Thank you for your review! we are working hard to iron out the kinks in our service to make navigation much easier. Thank you for the feedback! it is greatly appreciated.

Nancy M.
Industry: Architecture & Planning

Great Product and Service

Reviewed on 16/2/2017

We have been using the software for a few years and it is very easy to use. We appreciate the helpful emails with online seminars for generating T4's at year end. The customer support staff are very friendly and always so helpful.

Pros

It is an easy software to use for those just starting up a business. It also provides a lot different reports that are helpful.

Cons

I think the only con would be the section where you have to close off a month when generating payroll. It sometimes gets confusing and it splits out the source deduction amount by pay rather than month. We pay per month, so it would be beneficial to have the total of the 2 or 3 months deductions noted in one amount for submission.

Response from PaymentEvolution

Hi Nancy! we are always looking for ways to better our product. Closing a period can get confusing and because everyone has a different way as to how they would like their period closed, we are working on a way that works for everyone. Thank you for your feedback!

Deedee R.
Industry: Fund-Raising

Easy Payroll

Reviewed on 8/2/2017

Thank God for Payment Evolution. It has made our payroll and T4 time much more effective. Our payroll takes about 1/2 the time. Every support email has been addressed quickly. I have always been satisfied with this system.

Pros

How easy it is to do payroll.

Response from PaymentEvolution

Hi DeeDee

Thank you for your review! We are happy to hear that we helped cut your payroll time in half! We hope business is going well and look forward to continue to work with you.

Michelle N.

Really a very easy and user friendly solution

Reviewed on 18/10/2011

For any SMB living in Canada, PaymentEvolution is really a very easy and user friendly solution to use. With the exception of adding in employee information and salary amounts, the program basically does all the calculating and hard work for you. PaymentEvolution also offers different ways to pay employees as well as allows you to customize your payment options. Therefore I would recommend this program to any Canadian-based SMBs, with one caveat – that Vassa and his team think about taking this solution slightly to the south…

Pros

it is scalable and customizable

Cons

Limited to Canada

Mathieu C.
Industry: Consumer Goods

From days to minutes to do the payrun

Reviewed on 25/7/2018

Time saver

Pros

I like that it integrates with TimeSheet and Xero. All our employees punch in TimeSheet, than we export the data to PaymentEvolution. We run the payrun and then it is push to Xero in all the accounts. We save lots of time ! Also great customer service. I've never waited when I called.

Cons

It's a little tricky to start with but with the help of the customer service we fixed everything. We do have a problem now with Xero that we are hoping to get fixed !

Ange T.
Industry: Information Technology & Services

Makes running your payroll a breeze

Used Monthly for 1-5 months
Reviewed on 9/2/2017

We have recently transferred our payroll to Payment Evolution and it is a breeze to use. Once you have set up the basics (which is very easy to do) you are away. I am based in New Zealand so am not fully familiar with Canadian payroll legislation/benefits but the team at Payroll Evolution are extremely helpful and explained everything to me in plain English. The reporting is pretty good too and our employees have been blown away with PayChequer. I would definitely recommend this payroll system!

Pros

I love having control of our payroll PLUS it tracks vacation!

Cons

The reporting could be better - there are some reports that are only produced in .pdf format. All reports should be downloadable in Excel!

Response from PaymentEvolution

Hi Ange,

We are so happy to hear that your employees have been blown away with our PayChequer services and that our payroll has been a breeze! Thank you for your feedback in regards to reporting as well. We will definitely be looking to improve them and make them more accessible.

Jean M.

Great and very patient service!

Reviewed on 24/2/2017

Although we did not quite know what we needed or how to best set up our payroll, and changed course a number of times, our sales executive and PaymentEvolution support worked patiently and efficiently to set us up in the right way! Congratulations!

Ashley K.

User-friendly payroll solution

Reviewed on 7/10/2011

I have been very impressed with the Payment Evolution payroll application. I found it very intuitive and easy to use. It has all of the necessary features to process payroll quickly and accurately. I would definitely recommend this product!

Ingrid W.
Industry: Medical Practice

Payment Evolution Review

Reviewed on 17/2/2017

We are happy with the overall service Paymentevolution provides with support and questions that arise.

Pros

The support provided by the staff when questions arise

Response from PaymentEvolution

Hi Ingrid. Thank you for your review. We are happy to hear that our support has been helpful in making your time with us a breeze!

Travis G.
Industry: E-Learning

Great product idea  needs serious design investment

Reviewed on 15/2/2017

It's great that you guys have this service, but to be honest, I feel very uncomfortable actually using it and sort of regret paying for a year (we haven't done a full payroll yet, despite nearly completing the process several times). The main issues for me are the overall user experience, buggy/sloppy interface, and confusing flow. It really feels like you don't care about the design of the interface, which reduces my trust in the system.

Also some big functional oddities, like requiring separate accounts for the admin and their own employee account, is a huge pain. There's also little explanation of how the flow needs to work, and which info is required before you start the payroll process. And lastly, having to run payroll a few days in advance makes it awkward to get started if you're accustomed to doing it the day before which may be a bad habit on my part, but does prevent me from committing to PE.

If I were you, I'd suggest investing in some great UX and UI design. It would really make all the difference in the world for us. It HAS to be better than our current method of running payroll (have our accountant help us with the proper deduction amounts and manually paying everything via our online banking) which actually isn't that bad. Even a tightening of the UI would go a long way.

I have to be honest, I can't see us renewing again. I wish there was another alternative we could use in Canada, but unfortunately, we'll probably just stick to what we do now.

Pros

The actual function of running payroll and calculating deductions is a great and useful idea.

Cons

The design needs some serious polish and improvement. (not just the aesthetics, but the overall userflow, experience, etc)

Response from PaymentEvolution

Thank you Travis for your review. We are grateful that many of the features of our service benefit your business and have saved you time. Our goal is to ensure PaymentEvolution is one of the easiest and most robust services to automate your back office. We appreciate your candid remarks about the UI not being as intuitive for you and our team is looking at how to make the process even better. We'll be in touch shortly to get some specific recommendations from you. This and the requests we receive in our public help forums drive the development of our services. Again, thank you for your feedback - we love hearing how we can do better.

Likelihood to recommend: 1.0/10

Tina L.
Industry: Financial Services

Excellent software and great customer service

Used Weekly for 1+ year
Reviewed on 9/2/2017

I have had an excellent experience using Payment Evolution for the last year for our companies payroll. The system is beyond easy to use. They are always offering webinars to help with common questions or issues. Their customer service is absolutely amazing. They are fast and I have never had an issue they couldn't help me resolve.

Pros

Great resources on site to help with problems or issues
Great customer Service

Cons

Reports are not the easiest to interpret and some critical reports are not offered

Response from PaymentEvolution

Hi Tina,

Thank you for the kind words. We are happy to hear that PaymentEvolution has been helping you with your payroll! Thank you also for your feedback. We will definitely be looking into ways to make our reports more accessible to our clients.