VEGAS Pro

Integrated video and audio editing software

4.3/5
4.5/5
4.3/5
4.2/5

Jeremy

VEGAS Pro:

Reviewed on 23/6/2022

I started using VEGAS Pro back in the 00's at a multimedia company. As an audio editor and composer, VEGAS Pro allowed me to quickly edit music to film—the time-stretching and snapping tools are unparalleled—and being able to cross-dissolve video clips simply by dragging them made life so easy. I miss you, VEGAS Pro...

Pros

It's hard to think of any other video editor that allows you to run full audio tracks with VST plugins in-line with your video tracks. If you're an editor who needs to do full mixes while you edit video, this is the app for you.

Cons

Sadly, VEGAS Pro is only for Windows. Since switching to Mac, I've had to stop using Vegas. But I switch back in a heartbeat if they put out a Mac version.

Adobe Premiere Pro and Pro Tools

Reasons for Choosing VEGAS Pro

Adobe Premiere is slow and cumbersome. VEGAS Pro is fast and reliable.

Reasons for Switching to VEGAS Pro

VEGAS Pro does it all. Video and audio.
  • Industry: Entertainment

I created over 300 videos on this software over the course of 4 years - Amazing experience

Reviewed on 20/9/2022

Amazing. I used this software daily for years, I know it so well.

Pros

I love how easy and approachable Vegas Pro is. I mostly used Vegas Pro 12, using it almost daily. I was pretty much always working on a project in Vegas Pro. It is much easier to get into than Adobe Premier Pro and After Effects. It's a great alternative to Final Cut Pro if you don't have a Mac!

Cons

I experienced several crash issues in the past, though I am sure they have dealt with many of those problems in recent updates. Other than that, no compaints!

Easier to get into.
Délcio
  • Industry: Media Production

Sensational tool for video and audio editing.

Reviewed on 13/11/2022

With Vegas Pro, i realize my great passion and turn it to work, art, and business. I'm a video producers, and I just thank the creators for this powerful and easy software that I use daily for my production. It's been a very satisfying experience!!!

Pros

What more impacts me, is the way they design the software, and made it so easy to understand it's interface, and so powerful do edit. My experience using this software daily, makes me more inspired to do what many producers seek in other editing softwares. With knowledge and creativity, I have a powerful tool. Vegas Pro can do uncountable things. It's native, and it's still one of the best. I just love it!!!

Cons

Some versions have some kind of Bugs. Maybe it's a question of my graphic plates, but sometimes it just crashes. Beside this, I think it's all TOP.

Alex

Love Vegas!

Reviewed on 18/11/2022

I don’t think I would’ve used Vegas for as long as I have if it wasn’t an amazing piece of software. I highly recommend it to everyone.

Pros

Vegas has been reliable for most of the time I’ve used it, it does have a tendency to crash, but only when I’m doing too much with my computer. It’s edit videos very well and can be used by professionals and amateurs alike.

Cons

I do hate the fact that it does occasionally crash, this means I need to save the project regularly. But it doesn’t mean it crashes that much that it’s an actual issue.

Chris
  • Industry: Entertainment

My go to rendering engine

Reviewed on 25/10/2022

Vegas is the crucial final stage of my workflow and has been for 8+ years. I see no reason to look elsewhere.

Pros

Have used various versions of Vegas over the years mainly for final compilation of a project. I chose Vegas due to it's reliable real-time preview, titling and surround sound capabilities.

Cons

Like all video software real time preview of complicated, multi-layer FX is a problem. I ended up using alternative software to achieve this which suffered less lag.

• Industry: Animation

VEGAS Pro the best video editor

Reviewed on 9/10/2022

I love VEGAS Pro i often use it to work my video projects and works fine

Pros

Works excellent, excellent for any type of edits, have a lot of features that makes the editing of a video so easy

Cons

At the start is hard to learn, rendering is a little slow even if you have a mid tier computer, can be a little tedious if you're new in video editing

Azzahra
  • Industry: Animation

Vegas Pro Editing Software suitable for professionals with complete functions

Reviewed on 7/11/2022

Vegas Pro is a great video editing software with good functional details, I used it for a long time, but because my daily video editing needs are not too complicated so I use a simpler video editing software

Pros

I like Vegas Pro because of the complete functionality of video editing software, suitable for professionals with detailed functions

Cons

My daily video editing needs don't require complicated details, so I decided to use easier and simpler software.

Eutimio
  • Used Monthly for Free Trial

Video editing for the development of university projects

Reviewed on 1/10/2022

I have used Sony Vegas to edit resources necessary for my academic training, from a simple audio that will be used in the project to the making of a video where the elaboration and operation of the projects carried out during the academic cycle is evidenced. A good tool that in spite of some unexpected shutdowns is possible to develop to obtain good results with little experience in edition.

Pros

Sony Vegas has many tools that allow quality video and audio editing, so that it can serve as a tool for the presentation of software projects within the academic training.

Cons

Some of the tools are often confusing, or simply have compatibility problems, and many times it is necessary to make a backup before making a large edition because it is very likely that the application will close due to excessive consumption of computational resources.

Awesome video editing software

Reviewed on 19/7/2022

Although it is a wonderful and simple program, for beginners it has a big obstacle because of the difficulty of the user interface, because I used to use more professional programs such as Adobe Premiere and After Effects and professionals in general, it will be very easy for them

Pros

Sony Vegas Pro is a very useful program that we often need to use in our projects, as it can be used to edit video clips, and the program is characterized by the fact that it can create or modify videos in very high quality up to 4k and 2k.
The program is characterized by an easy, comfortable and coordinated interface in terms of the tools that are used compared to other editing programs, and Sony Vegas contains a wide range of effects that make a simple video a professional work.
One of the beautiful features in it is the availability of video editing tools and audio editing tools in one program, and this is great for those who want high resolution in the image and sound at the same time.
Vegas is characterized by the ease of using some tools and commands in the editing and video editing operations, such as the processes of dividing events and restoring deleted parts, the ease of using the drag and drop method on the same track or from one track to another, as well as the ease of accelerating and slowing down speeds.
One of the things that I used a lot in most of my videos is adding transitions and effects, the ability to draw masks, add 3D effects, cancel video shakes, provide multiple styles in writing, formatting and moving texts, and add motion blur.

Cons

One of the most common problems with Sony Vegas Pro and its recent decline in popularity is the delay in downloading new versions and new features, users are looking forward to new and powerful features to make their work easier in terms of the power of artificial intelligence to save time and effort

Geoffrey

Still one of the best video editing tool for single camera projects

Reviewed on 17/1/2022

I'm very happy with the software.
Sure, there is a bit of a learning curve but once you master the shortcuts and the logic...
Editing becomes super fast, and you can automate most actions through scripts or plugins.

Pros

First : It's a highly flexible tool for whom you can code your own scripts to automate actions.
Second : The real time preview is a real time saver.
Third : It's affordable, and upgrades to get the lastest version are cheap.
And most importantly : It doesn't slow down your computer or crashes as much as it's direct competitor.
So that you can render your project while still working (in your browser for instance) on something else less computer intensive.

Cons

The out of the box "picture in picture" feature was overly complicated without a plugin.
The multicam was cumbersome.
Not sure if they improved it in their latest upgrade to something faster to produce and easier to edit like in Final Cut Pro X.

Reasons for Choosing VEGAS Pro

Workflow was too time consuming. Access to a limited feature set was limiting our creativity as well.

Reasons for Switching to VEGAS Pro

Computer requirements were too demanding. Everything seemed very slow and eventually crashed the app (or the computer). The opposite of what I was trying to achieve.
Roya

Modernization of Local Programming: A Brief Insight on Ten Years with Vegas Pro

Reviewed on 19/8/2020

I have been using Vegas Pro in an official capacity since 2011, with history using it as early as 2008, currently on Version 016 (Build 0352) as of typing: This software has served as the only resource that I and many of those who make up my production team use to produce our local programming, due to its noticeably easy User Interface and extreme ability to be enhanced through Third Party extensions to help keep a user on the same build for many years before having to do a major upgrade; its constant performance and stability improvements with each version and future generations of CPUs, GPUs, and RAM assures that it will continue to see ever more use as it becomes easier and faster to produce even the heaviest of workloads.
Although it is plagued with a plethora of Glitches and Crashes that get fixed as the software matures and CPU/GPU Driver updates arrive, Vegas Pro is significantly more affordable and accessible than Adobe's suite of software and other relevant competition, having far more community support than most other platforms; optimized for Intel and AMD's modern era Sixteen+ Core CPUs and AMD's Vega II GPUs, anybody can build a High End Desktop for less than 2000$ USD and see effective results with Vegas Pro for many years to come, media producers such as myself can develop local programming without having to upgrade an HEDT system for a good while and we'll still get the most out of the software, it is ageless and will continue to deliver a powerful impact.

Pros

~ Significant levels of Ease of Access for multiple media file types of many ages and forms.
~ Expansive resource set to allow for more Extensions, Special Effects, and Scene Transitions to help mature and evolve the software's capabilities.
~ Support for High Framerate footage and countless forms of Colour Profiles.
~ Usable on virtually every possible Desktop or Laptop hardware combination over the past matter of decades.

Cons

~ The Digital Version does not come with an expansive Instruction Manual to understand how to use every effect, specifically in regards to Third Party resources that can be added during the life of the application's run.
~ Massive amounts of inexplicable Glitches and Crashes (though many can be fixed through manual tweaking and official Bugfix builds).
~ Occasional Requirement to reinstall QuickTime after select major firmware updates of Windows.
~ Critical issues with RAM consumption (specifically Committed Memory) when using media assets of a certain codec or a resolution that is significantly higher than the Project Size.
~ Heavy dependency on OpenCL favours AMD's Compute~based Graphics Cards over Nvidia's Graphics~based cards (though this may be beneficial for PC builders on a tighter budget).

Marcos

Vegas Pro Is The Underrated NLE King

Reviewed on 14/9/2021

I've been using Vegas Pro for about 10 years. I've been tempted by the competition, and indeed have incorporated things like Filmora for more casual edits and easier titling. But if I need to do a complex edit, like the one I did for my award-winning short film, I go to Vegas Pro. It's reliable, stable, feature-rich and affordable.

Pros

Vegas sits on a very sweet spot: it's a single-purchase license (versus things like Premiere which are only available through subscriptions), but it's not too much more expensive than more enthusiast offerings such as Filmora. For that one-time payment, you get a lifetime license to one of the most established non-linear editors in the business. There's a wealth of support and information online (which sets it apart from newcomers) and the business model is much more small-business-friendly than the Adobe subscription model.

Cons

Magix acquired Vegas from Sony a few years back but not much has changed. I really wish there were better built-in titles, for example. Better support for hardware acceleration of the timeline and edit process. The titling issue in particular usually means I have to edit my footage further somewhere else. But to be honest, the NLE workflow is good enough that I don't mind the extra steps for titling.

Reasons for Switching to VEGAS Pro

The single-license purchase model made VEGAS Pro a no-brainer when choosing it over Premiere.
Irfan
  • Industry: Broadcast Media

Why is Everyone Going Crazy Over Vegas Pro?

Reviewed on 16/9/2021

We use Vegas Pro as the official editing software for our radio. It is used 24/7 and everyone is quite happy with the overall performance of Vegas. It is pretty good to handle 7-8 hour playlists. I put together music B2B for the night and work with multitrack. Vegas Pro is the backbone of our organization and it has definitely had a positive impact on our ROI. You can do a lot of cool stuff with Vegas when it comes to audio engineering.

Pros

Vegas Pro is excellent for audio editing. A big window for multiple audio tracks makes it quite easy to work. The interface is user-friendly and the tools are awesome. The snapping tool provides great help to accurately place tracks. Likewise, the automatic crossfade gives so many different variations to combine the two audios. I particularly like the auto-ripple option that helps moving tracks and saves a lot of time. You can put markers and insert region, and then render the desired final audio. Batch-render is an excellent way to process multiple files at the same time. Vegas Pro is a must-have for a radio.

Cons

We recently upgraded from version 13 to 15 and faced trouble rendering singles files. The new version crashes frequently. Docking panels can be tricky sometimes. We had the Explorer Window undocked by mistake and spent a lot of time figuring out how to fix it.

Eldar

Vegas Pro is Reliable and stable Editing software

Reviewed on 24/10/2021

Pros

The software can be used to create all types of media: Videos, Still images and Sound mix.

the exported formats is common formats for all media types

You will find in the software tools in Adobe the same tools is separate in several programs.

It's possible to turn a layer into 3D mode similar to after effect.

As a beginner you can start with the software is intuitive to use and gives you the option to adjust the project settings to the video you drag in automatically.

You can easily create custom settings for everything and save for next time thus saving time.

Cons

If you plan to be hired to work in a video editing place, you usually asked for experience with Adobe or Avid softwares, because the industry works mostly with these softwares.

There are some default features that damage the quality of the video like a resample that needs to be remembered to disable, but you can do it one time and save the settings.

sometimes the software can be freeze and crash and you can to lose some work if you didn't save often, but after the last version its not happen often and there is random auto save but you better not trust on it.

Cristhian Josue
  • Industry: Design

Vegas Pro, what does your old video editor look like in 2021?

Reviewed on 3/9/2021

Vegas Pro is comfortable and has good things to offer if you're willing to pay monthly fees which in my opinion are expensive for this video editor, a good software, but not the best.

Pros

Despite the years, Vegas Pro has remained a great option in the world of video editing, at the beginning of the last decade this software was a reference, although currently doesn't have the same popularity, vegas pro is that video editor that any user can understand perfectly.

The workflow of this video editor is very comfortable, it allows us to edit effects directly in the timeline, the menu is simple and clean, Vegas Pro is a very good video editor.

Cons

In my opinion, this software is a bit expensive, I like Vegas Pro, but the monthly subscription is too abusive, personally, I am against having to rent software, but Vegas Pro has no way to justify its price, being its target audience the average user.

Personally, I would check out other similarly priced video editors before purchasing Vegas Pro.

John

Terrible customer service

Reviewed on 27/9/2021

Before Sony sold it to the new entity, it was a joy to use. Now, I am actually looking to get a different editing software the actually helps its customers.

Pros

The software was easy to use and as I mentioned the learning curve was quite easy. More complex operations required some research but usually the problem at hand was easy to solve and the results were impressive.

Cons

Before it was sold by Sony, it was easy to ask questions and get technical support. Now, it's nearly impossible to get any help or support. Their website is useless when it comes to addressing customer service.

Eliezer
  • Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

Powerfull and Simple Video Editor

Reviewed on 2/12/2019

Vegas' timeline has always been very simple—It allows for speedy editing while not detracting from functionality. Other NLEs' timelines feel clunky (I've use almost every major editor). Rather than holding to firmly to a layout which is over-inspired by outdated linear editing systems, Vegas has always (even since the Sonic Foundry years) been one of the quickest NLE's to learn.

Pros

I love the unique qualities that allow the user to be able to alter and edit video from color to manipulations. With endless ability to get added transitions, and capability to render any way you prefer I think it is a unique user experience that I can't get anywhere else. Best of all? It is easy to learn if you are willing to look up some youtube tutorials. I have used this for years. Get it.

Cons

Some advanced manipulations are difficult, and in regard to free transitions and such, options are slightly limited. I can't say much else is a dislike.

• Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

Coming along way and best at what it does

Reviewed on 7/5/2022

Works great with any windows PC i have thrown at it. Highly optimized hardware!! very efficient for my use case

Pros

Vegas Pro is an all round NLE with great hardware optimization which has worked well with most of my PCs. I always enjoy its fast loading straight to the timeline. The window layout can are easy to customize and can be docked anywhere with also the ability to view various windows with an external monitor thus giving me enough working space.

Cons

The main challenge i have experienced is with having to cut out clips on the timeline. I am more used to pick the specific part using a source monitor by just dragging in a segment to the timeline using the in and out points.

Robert
  • Industry: Graphic Design

Video for Graphic Designers

Reviewed on 22/4/2021

Overall, I am very pleased with Vegas and will continue to use this for the forseeable future.

Pros

Vegas is, by far, the easiest to use video editing software I have come across in 20+ years working in graphic design. The layers function is immediately familiar to anyone that has used an adobe product and the tools are super easy to use and naviagate.

Cons

Vegas tends to bother you with special offers and such at nearly every startup of the software. X'ing out of those can become a nuisance.

Batrisyia Qiestina

Vegas Pro Review

Reviewed on 17/2/2022

Straightforward yet strong UI. Huge loads of choices. Advances, impacts. Best utilized for making video related stuff. Moreover you can deal with numerous layers simultaneously.

Pros

Vegas Pro handles all way of source materials, including a wide assortment of video designs, still photographs in a wide assortment of configurations, and so forth It handles them all in a reliable way and results everything in a steady way. Other video altering programs we've utilized in the past regularly disliked blending various sources. It likewise accompanies many progress impacts, video channels, sound impacts, sound channels, and so on Nearly all that you want to do proficient quality video and sound is underlying. With a couple of minimal expense additional items, you can do significantly more.

Cons

VEGAS Pro doesn't consume numerous PC assets when the individual is altering the video and making sound alters, how much RAM it consumes is exceptionally insignificant, in any case, one of the fundamental issues that happen in VEGAS Pro is that it has an intense usage while delivering the video. The delivering of the video is fundamentally applying every one of the changes to the video and changing it over to a steady quality, notwithstanding, this cycle requires roughly 2 hours or max, everything relies upon how lengthy the video is.

Bob

You are on your own

Reviewed on 4/10/2021

The customer service is so poor that the overall experience is frustrating at best. At worst it costs me money because i can no longer sustain a project session without the software freezing and losing work.

Pros

After years of use and watching a decline in stability update after update, I am saying goodbye and helping people understand there is no after-purchase support with this product from MAGIX.

Cons

Once some of the best video and audio software on the market has become bloated and unusable, glitchy, and unreliable. This is a buy at your own risk software. There is NO support. None. Nada. To even get to a support request you have to click through pages of FAQ and suggestions that are also no help before you can actually submit a support request. After you submit your request there isn't even an automatic email that lets you know your request has been submitted. I have used this software for 20 years...and I am now looking for a more reliable company. Because once you purchase, you are on your own.

Reasons for Switching to VEGAS Pro

Familiarity over decades of using the product. I will be switching to Adobe.
Timothy
  • Used for 1+ year

Brilliant video editing suite

Reviewed on 25/6/2020

Use it to edit drone videos that I can share with my friends and hopefully the world which is fun. It's a great app to work with.

Pros

Feature-rich, many built in filters, transitions, asset bank, plugins, can output to many formats with many different output profiles

Cons

Requires a large screen (720p doesn't quite cut it), steep learning curve for a beginner, scrubbing o the timeline could be easier. Found it difficult to import all the videos I wanted from one directory. I also have fastcut and would have been nice to use fast cut to kick start the video and use Vegas pro to edit and tweak the final mix. A keyboard shortcut cheatsheet would help.

Amina

My favorite video editing software

Reviewed on 30/7/2022

Vegas Pro is the best video editor program I have ever used, it’s very flexible and easy to master and use for beginners and intermediate users.
I used it +3 years for most video and audio editing tasks. It has all the tools I needed to make professional videos.

Pros

It’s very flexible and easy to use.
It offers a powerful audio editing function.
Built-in effects are high-quality and suitable for professional use.

Cons

It’s a little bit expensive.
Sometimes it crashes while working on projects without clear reasons.
Adding more transitions would be great.

German Liber
  • Industry: Arts & Crafts

The best for home and budget projects, not so good for professional jobs...

Reviewed on 4/2/2021

Overall experience with Vegas was good, I had to leave the software once I learned a lot and started doing more professional work. It's okay for beginners and budget/home projects.  Price is too high, feels clunky and outdated and that's a con.

Pros

I use Vegas even before MAGIX bought it, the software is really great, and it helped me a lot when it was my only option a few years ago, when my computer wasn't that great. Vegas is the perfect choice for rookies on video edition, you can learn the basics on aspect ratios, cut-and-paste fragments of video, resolutions, audio parameters, etc. The tools can be pretty advanced and useful if you know how to use them, there are solutions for everything related to video edition on Vegas, you can even do some animation and automated effects. The rendering times are pretty great, even on low-end computers.

Cons

It's not the best for professional use and commercial projects, it can be kind of clunky and the learning curve is slow and very frustrating. Templates for text and cards on video feels really outdated. Animation and automation tools are not the best, while they work, they require, in fact, a lot of hard work to function properly. The prices for it are really high.

Freddie

The Indie Filmmaker's Best Option

Reviewed on 16/3/2020

Aside from the duration of the rendering, this is the best software out there.

Pros

Sony Vegas is one of those products that only gets better with each function you discover. From magic spells to invisibility cloak to the Infinity Snap, Vegas Pro does it all. Tutorials are so easy to find on many platforms. It's simple enough for even an amateur to understand. It can render in a variety of formats.

Cons

The rendering capacity depends on the computer. Even offline, the rendering can take hours for a two minute video.