Adobe After Effects Reviews

Adobe After Effects

Motion graphics and VFX solution for graphic designers

4.3/5
4.7/5
3.9/5
4.1/5

Tchameni
Tchameni
  • Industry: Design

Versatile and powerful software for motion graphic animation

Reviewed on 14/10/2023

It helps me with motion animation both for business and fun. It's a great tool to use

Pros

I sued After Effects for creating visual effects, motion graphics, and animation.- It enables me to create advanced motion graphics and animations using keyframes, expressions, and effects. It provides a powerful timeline-based interface for precise control over animation timing and movement.- 3D integration which enables me to import and easily manipulate 3D models, and apply lighting and camera effects to create more realistic 3D environments. - Visual effects and compositing that allow me to easily combine multiple elements such as 3D renders, raw footage, and visual effects seamlessly. Precise visual effects integration like chroma-keying, and motion tracking make the process even more enthusiastic.- It also supports a wide range of extensive effects and plugins which provide extra flexibility and allow me to enhance my projects with particle animations, special effects, color grading, and more.- It seamlessly integrates with other Adobe products like Premier Pro, Photoshop, and Illustrator when I need to create GIFs or any other form of vector animation. With After Effects, I can potentially animate anything.

Cons

-After Effects can be hard to learn as there are advanced concepts to explore.- It requires devices with high memory to function properly

• Industry: Entertainment

Whatever idea/concept you have - you can make it on this software

Reviewed on 20/9/2022

Pros

Likely the best editing software for amateur-professional video editors. It's so in-depth that I am still CONSTANTLY learning new things/features on this software and I use it almost daily. You can use it with other editing softwares as well.

Cons

It's a little hard to learn. The learning curve is steep, but once you learn the basics, it's pretty simple to catch on to new things.

Final Cut Pro

Reasons for Choosing Adobe After Effects

Bought a Mac. Ended up switching to Final Cut Pro and once I got comfortable with video editing on new hardware I began using After Effects for certain editing situations and have used it ever since!

VEGAS Pro
Jordan
  • Industry: Music

An expensive but nonetheless high-quality motion graphics software

Reviewed on 26/10/2021

All in all, I found After Effects useful for creating my own videos, but I found it overpriced for someone like me who barely used it. And, within the four years I used After Effects, I only ever produced seventeen videos with it (roughly 0.34 videos per month). So, after four years of minimal usage, I decided to cancel my subscription and stop using it.

Pros

With After Effects, there are almost no limits to how you can create and produce your videos apart from your technical skills and knowledge. I was really pleased with its incredibly wide range of usable tools, parameters, filters and transitions to make almost any video I wanted.

Cons

I found making my videos using After Effects fairly time-consuming due to its advanced and highly-customizable nature. Due to my limited video editing skills, I could only create and produce very basic music videos for my music. Also, I believe its monthly subscription was overpriced for someone like me who barely used After Effects at all. That's why, after using it and staying subscribed for four years, I eventually cancelled my subscription and stopped using it.

MikeToon
  • Industry: Design

The go-to Tool for Motion Graphics!

Reviewed on 24/11/2023

By far the best Motion Graphics software you can use, despite it being a bit pricey.

Pros

Being the industry standard, you can't go wrong with this great tool from Adobe. We've been using it for the past 10 years for various client work, and it has been a great choice!

Cons

From time to time, the new updates may cause some crashes, so you might need to downgrade to the previous version until the bugs are fixed by Adobe's team, so keep an eye on those!

Oussama
  • Industry: Computer Games

My Overall Experience with Adobe After Effects

Reviewed on 18/1/2023

Adobe After Effects is an excellent software for creating stunning visual effects. It is a powerful and versatile tool with a comprehensive suite of features, but it does come with a hefty price tag.

Pros

Adobe After Effects is an extremely powerful and versatile software which provides users with a comprehensive suite of tools for creating stunning visual effects. The software offers excellent features and options for creating a wide range of effects, from basic compositing to complex 3D animation and particle effects.

Cons

One of the drawbacks of Adobe After Effects is its cost, especially when compared to free alternatives. Additionally, the software can be quite difficult to learn and master, especially for beginners.

Richard
  • Company size: 501–1,000 Employees

Create outstanding motion graphics with Adobe After Effects

Reviewed on 27/7/2022

Overall, this an Excellent motion graphics software and everyone who desires a great video intro just as the intro videos of Hollywood, Disney, Netflix, Apple etc. should try this.

Pros

The drag and drop feature of the software and also the ability to edit key frames to my own specification. The effects library also has a lot of different effects which makes me achieve an amazing video like I always wanted.

Cons

Adobe After Effect can be very complex if you are just starting with, the team can look into simplifying some process we go through to achieve certain special effects. Also, I don't know but if I try direct rendering from After Effect its very slow as compared to exporting to(adding to Queue in) Media Encoder

Camtasia

Reasons for Choosing Adobe After Effects

After Effects gives me more option to edit my video intro and outro.

Filmora

Reasons for Switching to Adobe After Effects

Because Adobe After Effect stands out

Adobe After Effects - Good for VFX

Reviewed on 19/10/2021

Pros

Adobe After Effects is amazing for creating VFX. It has tons of third party plugin support, and is easy to use.

Cons

However, it can be slow at times, and is not really great for anything other than VFX. I'd personally recommend Premiere Pro.

Final Cut Pro

Reasons for Choosing Adobe After Effects

Wanted to use a professional video editor for easier customer support access and more features

DaVinci Resolve

Reasons for Switching to Adobe After Effects

Widely used and good reviews
Luciano
Luciano
  • Industry: Telecommunications

Performing, but greedy (of resources and money)

Reviewed on 27/7/2021

The overall experience is positive. As a MacOS user, I try to use Apple software as much as possible, but when more complicated work and compositing are needed, or when working in a team with Windows users, After Effects has been a good choice. I think it could cost less and have an even more simplified approach.

Pros

What I appreciate most about Adobe After Effects is the common approach to the other software in the Adobe suite. Working on the time line is a common and assimilated experience where you get your bearings after a few seconds.

After Effects once again confirms itself as the leading platform in advanced video compositing, representing in its latest incarnation a more complete solution and, now more than ever, 3D oriented by virtue of the integration with Cinema 4D, offered in bundled light version.

Even on Mac it enjoys a fast track, given the lack of an Apple product truly able to compete in terms of versatility and completeness.

Cons

What I dislike very little, however, is the resource consumption and the price. Being a MacOS user, I've ended up preferring Final Cut Pro with Motion, thanks to which I can carry out similar works consuming much less resources and with shorter working times. In this case, however, I have to give up working with team members who don't use MacOS. In my opinion, the pricing could also be improved to be more user-friendly.

Marco
  • Industry: Restaurants

Best software to create animations

Reviewed on 30/11/2022

It was the best software I found to animate images for use in digital signage.

It was the best software I found to animate images for use in digital signage.

Pros

It is the best software to make animations. Personally I use it to make animations for digital signage. It really has a lot of options and produces excellent results.

Cons

It has some bugs and is very heavy. If you don't have a good machine, it will be very difficult to work with it.

oussama
  • Industry: Import & Export
  • Used Weekly for Free Trial

Make a creative animation with Adobe After Effects

Reviewed on 27/7/2022

I tend to use After Effects a lot in making Indexa social media stories to promote medical equipment.
After Effects allowed me to create very attractive hearing aids stories, as well as interactive, as these stories often allow me to receive positive responses from customers and open a sales conversation with them based on arousing their interest through these stories

Pros

After Effects is the most amazing program for content creators who prefer to rely on animated illustrations
It is very flexible, very precise and multi-tool, in addition to that, it provides ready-made moves and models that allow a short time for content makers
The user interface is very interesting and comprehensive that allows easy control of the users

Cons

For the After Effects program to run lightly and smoothly, the device used must have specific technical specifications. It is difficult to obtain good performance with computers and devices that are technically limited in terms of processors and RAM.
In addition, it requires training for a short period in order to reach the professionalism of use

Ankit
Ankit

The Tool which you actually need!

Reviewed on 7/12/2022

Experience with After Effects is really very good. One can play around with different things in After Effects like Video Editing, Motion Graphics, and VFX. Making things scratch feels great. I usually add third-party software with After Effects to save time. I would highly recommend it to my fellow friends.

Pros

I have been using After Effects for a while now and I'm really enjoying all of its feature.- Can be used for Video Editing, Motion Graphics, and VFX. Not every Video Editing Software can do this.- The Rendering Speed of this Software is really nice. Saves a lot of time.- Can be interlinked with Adobe software like Illustrator and Photoshop. It really helps a lot when you're trying to make something related to Motion Graphics.- You can make transitions and effects from scratch and can control it as per your choice.

Cons

After Effects is really good but there are a few things that I don't like about it.- The Ui of After Effects is little tough for Beginners and it really needs some good practice of yours if you genuinely want to learn about it.- It consumes a lot of RAM if we're running the software. Thus it makes the system run slowly.- After Effects Crashes lots of times resulting in the loss of unsaved projects. There is no way you can retrieve the lost data.

Tina L
Tina L
  • Industry: Media Production

After Effects Still Number One

Reviewed on 12/7/2022

Adobe After Effects is a profession post-production software easily integrated with other adobe products as well as major 3d software programs such as Cinema 4D. If you are desiring to get to the top of your game, to work at major studio in post-production work, don’t waste your time with the competition, go straight to Adobe After Effects as well as their other software programs. Purchase a Master Collection subscription and see how your inspiration takes flight!

Pros

The Adobe Corporation took over After Effects in 1994 and since then it has had little competition. Recently the only competition has been DaVinci Resolve but it’s limited. As with all Adobe applications they integrate into one another. If you are working on a project and must jump quickly to Adobe Photoshop, it allows you to do so. After Effects includes a free installation of Cinema 4D Lite. One of the major 3D programs on the market. Adobe products excels in the infinite quantity of templates, plug-ins, and support offered. Adobe After Effects excels in in it’s UI which is similar to Adobe Premiere Pro’s. The composition area allows you to see all the components at once for creation of your file as well as switching windows to focus on one main component. The software will allow you to enhance any sec of footage or stills that you need to with it’s several tools. Artists can layer, mask, add lights, adjust cameras, add text, import stills, motion files, 3d renderings, and then publish it all into the final file.

Cons

Adobe After Effects is more expensive than programs like Da Vinci Resolve. I would suggest purchasing the Adobe Master Collection subscription, which can be paid monthly or annually. It is also a RAM demanding software so please check your computer’s specifications and upgrade the components or computer if needed before downloading the software. It will check your computer’s specifications prior to downloading and inform you if you are needed additional qualifications.

Géovanny
Géovanny
  • Industry: Graphic Design

Adobe After Effects the powerful tool for creating visually stunning animations

Reviewed on 15/2/2023

Pros

It offers a wide range of features, including sophisticated animation tools, special effects, advanced compositing options and more. With an intuitive user interface, it's easy to work with layers, masks and effects to bring your ideas to life. Plus, it's compatible with other Adobe suite software, like Photoshop and Premiere Pro, making it easy to work across projects. I highly recommend it

Cons

the software is complex to use, especially for beginners. It can also be expensive for users who do not use it regularly or for personal projects. In addition, it may require powerful computer hardware to run smoothly and without problems.

mohamed
mohamed
  • Industry: Graphic Design
  • Company size: 501–1,000 Employees

my experience in after effects

Reviewed on 29/11/2022

My experience with the program. The program in general. The program has many interesting and very distinctive things in the manufacture of visual effects and many wonderful tools. I use it in my work. It is a wonderful program that is characterized by many things and tools that help in making videos with powerful visual effects.

Pros

From my point of view, one of the best things about this program is that there are many very useful tools in visual effects that greatly help in producing a distinctive video, such as the animation feature, the 3D feature, wonderful filters, and moving objects, modifying and converting them from programs to programs other easily as well as easy import and export. The files are of high quality and great accuracy in file transfer.

Cons

From my point of view, it needs a computer with powerful capabilities to run the program easily. Therefore, when extracting the final project, it takes a long time to extract it if you do not have a computer with strong capabilities, and it is expensive for some people in its price.

Jonathan

Industry Standard for Motion Graphics

Reviewed on 14/4/2022

After Effects was one of those programs I knew I needed, but didn't want to need. I had to learn how to use it because it vastly improved my production value, which allowed me to charge more and scale my business.

Pros

The magic it can create is unreal. The production value of any project can jump leaps and bounds after a round in After Effects. Most people in my industry use Adobe Premiere and AfterEffects concurrently. I prefer to create/modify elements in After Effects and then use them in Final Cut Pro. It's not the most efficient way to do things, but it's doable and effective.

Cons

The one thing I don't like is that it's an Adobe product. Adobe are infinitely the champions of organization and structure. So much so that without prior knowledge of how Adobe programs operate i.e. file directory structure, etc - After Effects would be very difficult to learn.

Tutorials or external instruction is usually needed. Once you get the hang of it, it's incredible powerful software.

Anthony
Anthony
  • Industry: Design

Review for the best video editing software

Reviewed on 30/4/2022

With after effects, I animated logos for several companies, and thanks to the software I was able to do it quite quickly. We have many possibilities of modifications once in after effects, as much for animations as for special effects. Text animations are also easy with plug-ins adapted by the software. After effects supports many formats, which helps graphic designers in their workflow.

Pros

I often have video editing missions, and I choose directly after effects, as much in the motion design as in the video editing. I can do a lot of my workflow in after affects, that's what's great. I sometimes have photo editing that I have to do in photoshop, but I import everything into after effects, where I can create folders so I don't get lost, the interface is very well designed. There are also many choices of transitions for your cuts, everyone will be happy and will find what he needs.

Cons

The names of the effects are quite specific, so if you don't know specifically what you're looking for, you can waste some time. However, a search on the right hand side will guide you through the process, and will also suggest other effects that you may not have thought of. After Effects integrates very well into any video editing process. Once you start working with this software, we can no longer do without it !

Jakub

The tool you gonna love, once you get the UI

Reviewed on 31/7/2022

This is a great piece of software where you can feel the complexity and the robustness since it does not crash when it run out of memory or swapping space. It only gets slow. And so is the work with AFX - you need to learn how to connect the pieces together and think ahead. Know the CG basics (alpha channel, subframe rendering etc.) to star using it effectively, but after that, anything can be achieved.
You can even import basic 3D objects and work with them in postproduction. Upon finishing a projects all files can be collected and kept in a folder for future use, without having to keep the rendered outputs.

Pros

The consistency of the UI and main principles over years makes it a valuable app. But only after you figure out the main principles and start combining them. Animating or creating can be done rough or extremely precise on a frame-level.
And if you ever get the feeling that there is something missing in After Effects - there is probably a plugin or script for that which can help. + tracking tools are great.

Cons

Sometimes people can get lost in their open compositions, pre-rendered compositions, cached contend etc. So even as a seasoned user one can get lost and close a window which was not inteded to be closed.
Also there is no real particle playground.

Nordin

After Effects for graphic designers

Reviewed on 7/10/2022

I love the product and I won't change it but it only needs a little bit of adjustments and improvements to help us designers craft more contemporary designs & works.

Pros

What i love about the software is the huge library of tools & effects that allows you to craft beautiful work that gets lot of engagements since we as designers we get hired for building connection between brands & people so this software helps us a lot to communicate a brand's purpose & concept in motion.

Cons

What i do not like about the software is that it's kind of limited & hard to use at the same time . You'll literally struggle a little bit at your first year of using the product but after that you'll find your self in it. Also it needs a good computer to run without crashes. Its a multidiscipline software thats why it uses a lot of CPU.

Hayden
  • Industry: Media Production

It's a beast, and needs a best of memory to run!

Reviewed on 28/3/2022

I absolutely love After Effects been using it since version 6.5, wow, almost 16 years ago and still is one of my favorite pieces of software to create motion graphics and animations. It's th perfect companion for Adobe Premiere Pro since the integration is a core part of the video workflow that I have.
It can get frustrating sometimes, it will lag when there is a significant project to render and it sometimes crashes on me. I learned to live with it, and I cannot think about producing videos without the usage of my trusty AE. Good times when the software was able to be purchased in full, but for now, get used to giving Adobe a stipend to rent their software.

Pros

It's a very powerful and versatile motion graphics software

Cons

Needs a powerful machine with plenty of RAM, and still lags in heavier projects.

Shahzan
  • Industry: Entertainment

After Effects made editing fun for me because it's so user friendly.

Reviewed on 10/10/2022

Literally made editing fun for me

Literally made editing fun for me

Pros

User freindly software comparing to other softwares close to it.

Cons

To be honest nothing
So far I have not encountered anything

Laurentiu
  • Industry: Motion Pictures & Film

Best software in the industry, by far

Reviewed on 7/4/2023

I've been using After Effects for over 10 years now, and it's something I wouldn't trade for any other animation software out there. Simply the best. I'd still try to lower the entry price, but overall, it's great.

Pros

I love the ease with which I can do my Motion Graphics Work.

Cons

Even tho the software is amazing, I'd say the only and worse downside would be the pricing - it's still quite pricy, especially considering there are free alternatives out there, but perhaps not as robust as After Effects.

Vladimir Azariel
Vladimir Azariel
  • Industry: Entertainment

Adobe After Effects, the king of montage and VFX.

Reviewed on 11/5/2022

Pros

After Effects is a pretty powerful video editing and montage extension from Adobe, and although it's not easy to use, once mastered it can give you what many software would give you altogether.
Although After Effects doesn't have features such as creating 3D compositions from scratch, it does support templates that can be created from Blender or similar software, so it's possible to animate these 3D compositions from AE.
Another very good thing, in my opinion, are the special effects that we can create and that can be very similar to those we see in Hollywood. A huge advantage is that you can find official courses to develop your knowledge of this software, or you can try tutorials on youtube to go step by step on the way of editing and assembling.

Cons

Without a doubt, something key is learning to use AE and taking full advantage of all the functions that this software offers, so the most complex thing is learning to use it.

Subarna
Subarna

After Effects review by a Video Editor

Reviewed on 20/10/2023

Pros

After effects let you create stunning visual effect and animations along with seamless transitions and enhanced visuals.

Cons

Least favorite feature of After Effect would be the drag and drop for me which can mess up compositions and materials present in the timelines sometime.

Parwinder
Parwinder

Best Video Editing and Animation Tools for everyone

Reviewed on 15/10/2022

I am using Adobe After Effects for more than 2 years and it has been an amazing experience for me. It helps me edit small stuff in videos. Making media content, animation presentations etc.

Pros

1) It's easy to use and learn.
2) Timeline is very easy to understand and use.
3) Applied filters are very easy to customize and manipulate.
4) Ram preview works awesome.
5) I love the shortcut keys that Adobe After Effects offers.

Cons

1) Rendering process inside Adobe After Effects is not so good. It makes file size very huge.
2) After Effects doesn't work very well.
3) obviously Pricing.

Aaron

Tough to learn but super powerful!

Reviewed on 28/4/2022

As a professional motion designer, I couldn't do what I do without After Effects. Years of learning and it and I still am discovering new surprises!

Pros

The sky is the limit with After Effects, for motion design. I've been using it for almost a decade now and I'm still learning new ways of doing things. A lot of versatility and endless potential to achieve a certain look or motion or effect.

Cons

It's hard to learn, there's definitely a big learning curve. You gotta really spend some time in it, and dig in to tutorials, to even just scratch the surface.