BambooHR

4.6 (2,779)
Everything works together in one platform.

(2,779)
4.5/5
4.4/5
4.6/5
4.5/5

Jackie
Jackie
  • Industry: Hospitality

Effective, time saving, keeps you organized!

Reviewed on 1/12/2022

I am really happy that we chose BambooHR, it keeps me organized, it takes care of reminders, which it was a huge problem that I had before, having to remember each employee dates of hire, 3 months, 6 months, 1 year, etc. I also like that all our locations are under the same platform, so it is really easy to find employee's information. You can also have all the documents signed electronically, which saves time, paper & trees! I definitely recommend it.

Pros

I like the fact that reminds you about everything! we were able to set up reminders for employee eligibility for benefits, for employee discounts, for evaluations and much more! I love that I can have the employee's information in one platform, including the staff in Madrid. We are able to communicate with everyone at the same time. I also like that the employee onboarding makes them part of the team immediately!

Cons

Sometimes is confusing where to find things. The implementation was a little rushed. We weren't able to go back and review items when we had doubts, it seems to be that the trainer has a schedule that they can't miss, even if you have questions.

WorkBright

Reasons for Switching to BambooHR

Didn't have as many features as BambooHR and it was not user friendly
Jeff
Jeff

Bamboo HR, a slick but severely limited recruiting software

Reviewed on 28/7/2020

As stated, the BHR system is a recruiters dream and makes the talent acquisition process easier for those businesses that are only using the job boards to get applicants. Just don't expect much more after that.

Pros

The look an feel of BambooHR (BHR) is amazing! Its almost like Facebook for recruiting. It is very intuitive for what it does and offers to the administrator and end user. The applicant tracking system is very easy to use and goes the extra mile with automation and thoughtfulness concerning on-boarding and then " flowing" into the core HRIS. The BHR system was chosen by a previous HR professional that clearly had a recruiting bias. Although important, more vetting should have been done to make a sound choice for long term success regarding the needs of a small to mid-size business.

Cons

Beyond what I described above there is limited functionality without also purchasing and integrating other systems through a "bolt-on" approach. By "Bolt-on" I mean that BHR will not automate between the core HR system of BHR and a timekeeping system, a payroll system, benefits administration system, leave administration system. The ability to have a robust system is possible but is not practical or cost effective with BambooHR. In order to get a full platform, covering the full life cycle of and employee, through BHR, a business would have to pay upwards of 30-40 dollars per employee per month. Simply put other options are available and far more robust with better long term results for less money- See my review of APS Payroll for an example.

APS Payroll, Paycom, ADP Workforce Now, Namely and Paycor

Reasons for Switching to BambooHR

Price and lack of proper education as to the actual functionality and potential cost of the system beyond on-boarding.
Lauren

Good value for small companies

Reviewed on 20/2/2024

Overall, BambooHR is a good quality solution at an affordable price. Just know going into it that you're not getting the top of the line system with all of the customizations and bells and whistles of other software. They're rolling out updates all the time so I'm hopeful that it will continue to improve over time.

Pros

BambooHR is relatively easy to implement - not overly complicated. Some HRIS companies spend 12 weeks on implementation but BambooHR's implementation process is based around 5 or 6 one hour phone calls and their implementation specialists do a nice job of walking you through everything. The system is simple and intuitive for our blue collar employees. It's an affordable HRIS solution for small to medium businesses who don't need a super robust platform.

Cons

It's not as customizable as they make it seem. There have been quite a few functions that I expected that it would have the capabilities to do and I just get told "no, the system can't do that". They have good customer service response time but you're routed to anyone in the queue so there's no consistency of an Account Manager or dedicated support person. And their benefits administration solution is not nearly developed enough yet, in my opinion. If you're currently using a separate benadmin solution, leave it where it is until Bamboo has made some major improvements on their version.

Aisha
  • Industry: Human Resources

Good product

Reviewed on 12/9/2023

Like the product for starting companies, but as your processes and strategy become more detailed, I am not sure if Bamboohr can manage properly as a stand-alone platform. Like the HRIS, the rest of the features are not robust

Pros

Love the simplicity of the HRIS system to allow for tracking personnel

Cons

The payroll system and time management are not as robust as it needs to be. Unlike optional features such as performance or applicant tracking that are not critical to risk management, the payroll and time management must be up to par to ensure customers are compliant with state regulations, able to identify and correct discrepancies quickly, and able to customize reporting to identify labor cost trends. Unfortunately, the payroll and time tracking doesn't relate.1 Example: We cannot track if meals are being taken or the system does not alert us when someone does not take their required lunch breaks. Depending on state, there are penalties associated with this2 Example: If an employee is scheduled to be terminated on a specific day, they are automatically taken out of the system before ensuring they were paid their last check. States have many different regulations around when a former employee must be paid their final check. We would have to alter the person's last day and final pay date in order to process their last check, which can cause incorrect records if we forget to switch the dates back to correct separation date. If we schedule termination ahead of time, we have no way of tracking who is up for termination soon or no notice that the person was removed from payroll ensuring timely payment. 3 Example: Timetracking is more than just about having the ability to clock in and out with approval. There is very limited reporting that can be pulled to track labor cost

Anna
  • Industry: Primary/Secondary Education

Game Changer

Reviewed on 31/1/2024

BambooHR has been a game changer for us. We have seen an increase in applicants and we save time on a daily basis through the use of the product.

Pros

BambooHR made our application process smooth for both administrative users and applicants. We are able to track someone from first application to hiring and then easily transfer over to the onboarding process.

Cons

Our only negative was that it did not integrate well with our payroll system that we were already utilizing, but even then I think we could work around this if we had the skillset to develop.

Brittany
  • Industry: Human Resources

BambooHR First HRS Used

Reviewed on 28/3/2024

Pros

I liked the custom features of nearly everything in the system. This made it easy to work with our existing structures and we built around that. The auto filing for signed policies was great, and the reminders for training needs was great for all employees, their supervisors, and the managers to ensure everything was on track for timelines and protocols.

Cons

The reporting features were not as extensive as I would have liked. Things may have changed, but the reports for specific and custom items was a little difficult. The customer service was mostly online or through their FAQs or videos which wasn't ideal if we were in a crisis situation, but overall a good product.

Jessica

Easy management system!

Reviewed on 2/4/2024

Pros

The thing I like most about BambooHR is that it is an easy place to not only store employee documents, reviews and information, but it is easy to access and navigate. We have some employees who are not as proficient in technology and they have picked this right up! You can also create any kind of report you want to for any category, which has been super helpful for us!

Cons

When power editing employees on certain things, it does not edit only the employees who you have changed information for, but creates a new line for everyone.

Diana

BambooHR as a HRIS

Reviewed on 6/3/2024

My overall experience is good with Bamboo and when we were smaller it worked great. Now that we are growing I feel like we are outgrowing bambooHR.

Pros

I like the ability to send onboarding and the job posting function with tracking.

Cons

I don't like that in the signature section I must pick myself as the supervisor signing off instead of a department. We have 3 hr people and no one can sign these forms except one individual.

Brenda
  • Industry: Food Production

A very user friendly software

Reviewed on 3/4/2024

Very positive and would recommend this platform to anyone.

Very positive and would recommend this platform to anyone.

Pros

- layout is easy to set up
- easy to use for employees
- since we began, many new features have been added
- good support
- able to integrate with 3rd party online assessments and 3rd party background checks

Cons

It did not integrate with our 5 payrolls.

David

Great product for recruiting

Reviewed on 19/2/2024

Pros

The ease of use, streamlining with companies like Indeed, and Glassdoor. I love the mobile apps. The email templates are great as well.

Cons

Maybe more functionality with texting candidates. Not much

Danielle
  • Industry: Nonprofit Organisation Management

BambooHR - 10/10 Would Recommend

Reviewed on 29/9/2020

Overall, it's been a really great experience as an implementer, an admin, and a user.

Pros

I advocated for BambooHR for my company as its first HRIS, and I believed it would be a major benefit to our company, and it has been. It's a major bragging right of mine that I found BambooHR at a conference, convinced my boss to sign off on it, and executed the roll-out and got most staff on-board with it as a concept. So, I like most things about BambooHR. It's intuitive for users and administrators alike. The setup was as easy as setting up a new company-wide software could be, with hands-on customer service and a robust information center. The hiring tool is phenomenal, and I have gotten so many positive comments from managers about how much easier their hiring process was with the hiring tool. I like how y ou can submit software suggestions to customer service and they take your feedback into consideration, and new features get rolled out constantly. It's just a great place to keep everything in one place and make HR more efficient, and it's a super dynamic tool.

Cons

Honestly, there's not a lot I don't like about the software. When we first got it, I would say its lack of payroll integration, but it's since integrated TRAX payroll with the software, which our accounting team is now switching to.

ADP Workforce Now

Reasons for Switching to BambooHR

It had a smarter, more dynamic, and less corporate-y interface than ADP. ADP felt very old school HR, while we are not old school at all, and Bamboo just made more sense in every aspect (besides payroll, initially, until Bamboo added TRAX) for our company.
Shana

One of the best decisions our business has ever made

Reviewed on 10/2/2022

We are a school and our teachers don't want to spend a ton of time on their computers trying to find the information they are looking. BambooHR's website and app are so straightforward, our teachers picked up on everything very quickly. There are always learning curves involved any time new software and processes are released to an organization but the whole experience went much more smoothly than I ever expected.

Pros

I have gone through implementation of payroll services with four different providers over the years and BambooHR was by far the easiest process with the fewest issues. While there was work involved, their expectations were very clear and they worked with us to determine the best way to manage unique situations specific to our company. The system is very intuitive and easy to use.

Cons

There are some small things here and there that we have encountered and have to work around, but customer services is always very responsive and help us find a solution. We have made suggestions to BambooHR's feedback team and they have already implemented some changes to help with some of these issues. They are always making improvements and additions to their products.

Andre

An HRIS that was built with HR in mind

Reviewed on 22/2/2022

This was hands down the easiest onboarding of a new software package that I have ever experienced. We are a Critical Access Hospital that decided to implement its first HRIS in February of 2020, right as the pandemic started. Of all the things we had to worry about, this implementation was not one of them. The team walked us through the process, meet with us whenever we needed, and assisted in personalizing the software. We went from 0 to complete within a month! And they have been supporting us every step of the way since then. I couldn't ask for a better HRIS partner.

Pros

The software is very easy to personalize to your organizations individual needs. Response from the help desk is usually within minutes, and their out of the box thinking ensures you will get the output that you are looking for.

Cons

BambooHR works great with other software programs that have HR in mind. If your backbone software is built for integration is industry specific and somewhat inflexible, it is more difficult to integrate the great features that BambooHR has to offer.

MEDITECH Expanse, ADP Workforce Now and Netchex

Reasons for Switching to BambooHR

BambooHR had the right recruiting tools, the offered pretty much everything we needed in their basic program, and to upgrade was very simple and inexpensive. Having been in HR for decades, this is the first time I have used an HR system that felt like it was made by those in HR for HR.
Lori
  • Industry: Insurance

Great HR System!

Reviewed on 9/12/2022

Overall, I love BambooHR. I have implemented it in several companies I have worked for over the years. It is such a great system, I tried to bring it in whenever I had the chance!

Pros

BambooHR has everything in one place. Easy to set up and implement and employees can start using it immediately with very little training. Very easy to customize it to suit your company's unique needs. Customer service is second to none!!

Cons

Having an integrated payroll system would be the cherry on top but for a Canadian company, this option is not available. A huge market untapped!! The ability to choose a "close" date for the Performance Management Reviews would be very helpful as sometimes a longer or shorter window is required.

Deluxe Payroll and HR

Reasons for Choosing BambooHR

ADP was too "big" for us and the customer service was horrendous! Collage HR was much better but in the end customer service won out again.

ADP Workforce Now and Collage HR

Reasons for Switching to BambooHR

BambooHR was by far easier to use.
Jennifer

Great HRIS

Reviewed on 2/5/2023

Very positive

Very positive

Pros

Easy to integrate and use, very user friendly, very useful reporting tools.

Cons

To be able to make reports on a chosen date and not only on the current date. Be able to identify managers more easily.

Bob

Reasons for Choosing BambooHR

PeopleHR is the worst HRIS on the market. Difficult to use, very unreliable and not user friendly at all. I implemented BambooHR in 3 different companies and I love this tool.

Access PeopleHR

Reasons for Switching to BambooHR

The main reason is the price. The functionalities are a bit more advanced than BambooHR, but the implementation is longer and the tool is less user friendly
Katrina
  • Industry: Utilities

We love BambooHR

Reviewed on 4/8/2023

My experience with BambooHR has been phenomenal from the first phone call inquiring about the software all the way through setting up the many features we've implemented. (Payroll, Benefits, Time Tracking, Performance Management, etc. I've enjoyed working with their team and appreciate all the help they have provided.

Pros

The features that BambooHR offer are extremely streamlined and useful. The ease of use of the platform gives our employees an easy way to access and manage all of their information. The best part of BambooHR though would be the customer service and how well they work with you when integrating this software into your business.

Cons

The only con with this software was the lack of integration with other accounting services. IE Quickbooks however, this was easily worked around and they do offer other solutions.

Deel and NetSuite

Reasons for Choosing BambooHR

The ease of use this software provides. QB was too manual.

Reasons for Switching to BambooHR

The options and streamlined design of this platform fit better with our company.
Larson
  • Industry: Religious Institutions

A good price for a good product. Responsive and always innovating.

Reviewed on 12/12/2023

Bamboo has been a great software to help us perform so may of our tasks, both frequent and infrequent. It is user friendly, accessible, packed with training, and easy to modify. There are some walls that we hit that come with hyper-specific needs we have, but since Bamboo is always reading feedback and updating accordingly, we have hope in its expansion and improvement.

Pros

Time tacking, time off tracking, document storage, e-signatures, information management, training tracking, onboarding, offboarding, payroll.

Cons

Limits on the integration of custom fields and tables into filters on ting like onboarding, training, announcements, and benefits.

AllianceHCM

Reasons for Choosing BambooHR

Sharepoint was in the end not capable of doing a multitude of tasks we needed on the HR side. Bamboo also had payroll functions we needed to use.

Microsoft SharePoint

Reasons for Switching to BambooHR

AllianceHCM dropped us after saying they could not accommodate complex elements of our payroll system. Bamboo was willing to go through integration stage at no cost to us until they could prove they could run our payroll. This willingness to partner with us at risk of their own loss of time and money was what cemented us with Bamboo.
Heidi

Free up your HR Department to do their best work

Reviewed on 23/5/2022

Due to implementing BambooHR, we moved from having 8-10 spreadsheets that required daily maintenance to being able to have one system of record. This has allowed us to onboard employees more seamlessly during the COVID-19 pandemic. We went from PDF time off request forms and a Google Out of the Office calendar that we had to manually maintain to using time off in BambooHR and implementing the iCal feeds so everyone knows who is out of the office at a glance.

Pros

Getting employee buy in and adoption is easy due to how intuitive the end-user experience is with BambooHR, especially with Google Single Sign On. As the administrator, I have the ability to make changes and implement things quickly on the backend without having to make a request and wait for someone else to make the changes for me. Having a streamlined and consistent onboarding and offboarding process ensures that new hires are set up for success and offboarding employees accounts and data are turned off in a timely manner.

Cons

BambooHR may not have as many robust features as some of the other HRIS out there, but they are always adding new features and making improvements, which is good to see. You may have to add some app integrations in areas like recruiting and benefits administration, if you want all the bells and whistles.

Aimee
  • Industry: Utilities

BambooHR - Friend to People Operations!

Reviewed on 15/2/2022

We've used BambooHR since 2017, moving from tracking information via spreadsheets and paper forms to fully electronic. The implementation process takes preparation to ensure you have quality information imported into the system and is worth the time and effort. The implementation specialist works with you to ensure you're on track and implementation goes smoothly. If you take the time to introduce BambooHR to employees and provide them with training, they easily adapt as this is a very user-friendly system. Over the years we've added additional custom table to track information and the Bambooligans have been very responsive. I highly recommend BambooHR!

Pros

• User-friendly
• Customizable (ie. you can have Bamboo set up tables that you can use to track your Medical Examiner’s certifications/driver’s licenses & set reminders for expiration)
• Hiring system ports directly into employee creation
• Applicant tracking system (automatically posts to Indeed, Glassdoor & ZipRecruiter)
• Onboarding / offboarding
• Standardized & customizable reports
• Org chart
• Company directory (the app is nice but offers less functionality than the website)
• E-signature for your forms to port directly into employee files upon completion & route as directed (ie. direct deposit can route to payroll or reimbursements to A/P)
• Asset tracking (you can set security levels to allow IT – or appropriate individuals to access / make changes / run reports for assets)
• Electronic approval process for compensation, approvals, and other customizable events
• Preview as user allows you / admin to see things as the individual sees them – really helps with problem-solving
• You establish access levels
• Track training (but very simplistic process)
• Works with single sign-on

Cons

• Lack of ability to set up onboarding tasks for internal promotions
• Training tracking is simplistic, they do offer integrations with LMS
• Doesn’t connect with our payroll system (although you could have someone build a custom integration)

Leigh
Leigh
  • Industry: Executive Office

A lot of Bang for Our Bucks

Reviewed on 17/5/2022

Overall, our experience with BambooHR has been extremely positive. Our employees have raved over how much more efficient and streamlined our HR processes are. Customer Support, if needed, is super responsive and satisfactory resolutions/answers are provided quickly.

Pros

There are so many positive things I can say about this software that I am not sure I even know where to begin. Implementation was a breeze, the look and feel of Bamboo is clean and intuitive, and there are so many options for an organization to really make it their own through branding and customization. Additionally, I am a huge fan of the amount of administrative control I have within the system. For me, this was a huge selling point.

Cons

Nothing is perfect. Not even Bamboo. Although they have made great strides in enhancing some of their features, they're still not as robust as some other systems in some areas. However, as an administrator and an end-user, I do appreciate how they listen to feedback from their customers and it shows in their efforts to continuously improve their product. The only "con" that would make me reevaluate our relationship with Bamboo would be a drastic price increase without any new features to justify it.

Namely and Paylocity

isolved
Jade

BambooHR literally has everything our company requires.

Reviewed on 19/9/2022

Overall, it was a fantastic experience; hiring and tracking new employees was a breeze. We use Learning Management System (LMS) and integrating the two is straightforward. The app is useful for tracking time and work hours, especially since most of us work abroad. And security is top notch. We store people's information here, and we like how BambooHR performs security checks and locks on its own when you are not in front of your computer.

Pros

We previously used Time Doctor to track our time and for payroll. However, as the company expanded. We want a system that allows us to track all employees from their assessment/ job application to their onboarding. We can even send new hire packets to get them prepared for the job.
This includes what they needed to do on their first day, what documents they needed to submit, and who they should contact. It's also easy to track time off request and UPTOs. BambooHR can also be integrated with LMS tools such as TalentLMS.
As a user, the app is very useful; seeing your timesheet hours and pay period, as well as the payroll reminder, is a great feature.

Cons

The training section of BambooHR is a little complicated, and adding new training and categories is done alphabetically. As a result, having your own training roadmap and guidelines causes everything to become jumbled. When we asked their support team for help in resolving the issue, they were able to help us by manually assigning a number to each category. Another thing is, marking each training category as complete must be done one at a time. It takes a lot of effort, but it works.

Mikayla
  • Company size: 1,001–5,000 Employees

I Love BambooHR

Reviewed on 6/12/2022

Overall, I love BambooHR and would recommend it to any small to medium-sized company that is looking for a simple solution to connecting and managing their workforce.

Pros

The best thing about BambooHR is how user-friendly it is for all of our employees. The interface is so efficient which limits the amount of time we spend training new employees on the software. I also love the level of support we receive from BambooHR when we need it. Their customer service is top-tier!

Cons

Although we have seen Bamboo grow and adapt in many ways over the years, there are still features that we'd love to see come to life. I appreciate the ability to suggest new product developments, but I sometimes feel limited when it comes to exit interviews and report customization.

PowerSchool and Paycor

Paycom
Christina
  • Industry: Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing

Middle of the road software that needs improvement

Reviewed on 15/9/2017

We are currently researching other HR software. I'm not sure which is better, software that contains the modules needed with obvious and crippling flaws or software that is easy to use both by admin and employees with limited modules.

Pros

The idea of on-boarding a new employee electronically is a huge plus. It engages employees before they start and makes it so that they come in with paperwork already filled out and spend their first day doing more than just paperwork.
Most of the framework is in place, but EACH area needs improvement, both in the functionality for administration and the ease of use for employees. The sections offered are vital, but aren't complete.

Cons

The benefits area is lacking a lot of common sense tools - like the ability to attach plan documents to an insurance plan (only a link can be used), display plan cost information to an employee BEFORE they sign up (the pricing is only available AFTER they sign up and become eligible). Many things like this create double the amount of work for the administrator.
The actual on-boarding process was a struggle because even though the forms were done properly by the employees (I sat with a few and watched them), it didn't save all information in completed fields. Employees were frustrated when they had to fill out forms multiple times because you cannot edit once saved.
I love that employees can e-sign documents, but preparing the forms is cumbersome and they can't be customized easily. For instance, if you need to update a form because something has changed or didn't save properly, you have to delete the task and resend to any employees who need an updated form.
When I discussed a few very basic items with support, they just offered a work around that many clients use. These are obvious flaws in the system that need to be addressed, but aren't necessarily a priority. Bamboo HR seems to focus more on flashy design than actual content. It makes them seem like a leader in the industry, but as soon as you dig in, the flaws are obvious.
For the price, there needs to be more development in the software.

• Industry: Nonprofit Organisation Management

Bamboo HR keeps me sane and in compliance.

Reviewed on 1/11/2022

Pros

I am not an HR professional, I am a nonprofit executive Director and an organization that grew from one staff to 20 in about a year and a half. I don’t really know what I’m doing often. Human resources is one of those things that i could not justify hiring for. We have a board member who is an HR professional, and two lawyers on our board, so if things did get crazy, I knew I had people to keep me in compliance legally with the situation, but I needed some help with the day today. We have three physical locations and bamboo helps ensure that we don’t have important, confidential documents getting lost. Managers can update things in real time and it is amazing. We use the integrated payroll, pay traX, because honestly I’m lazy and why would I do more work when my time is valuable. I love being able to do the performance reviews and satisfaction surveys. I love the asset management feature so I can keep copies of peoples drivers licenses, even shirt sizes, and of course the training that they do.

Cons

Bamboo is a little spendy, but honestly you can’t afford not to invest in it.

Bambee

Reasons for Switching to BambooHR

Bambee was expensive and seemed inferior
David

They understand and support customers

Reviewed on 15/2/2022

Extremely receptive, understanding company, who want to support HR and provide easy-to-use, clear tools for daily HR tasks. They even educate the HR company through their annual virtual summit, which has become one of the very best as they know the most relevant topics and attract the best speakers ... and it's free to register.

Pros

I found BambooHR very easy to set up, with a very clear, clean interface, a great mobile app and very easy to use for the employees. I am very impressed with the ease with which I was able to set up time-off policies and performance management, and the applicant tracking system is simple and collaborative. A great strength of Bamboo is the customer service - everybody I have spoken to is communicative, responsive, helpful, knowledgable - they seem to genuinely want to help. Their help documentation is very good and they keep clients up to date monthly with product developments and tips via video. Setting up forms for e-signature is awesome, and the newly introduced COVID tracker and storage of information has sensibly (and for legal reasons) been separated from other HR files.

Cons

I'd like to see more flexibility in creating sub-folders for file storage, and integrations with more payroll providers and the time-tracking could use a little more development, but I do like that Bamboo continues to improve in all these aspects and that stops me jumping ship even when there are limitations.