BambooHR

Jeremy
  • Industry: Human Resources

BambooHR Turns a Small Business into a Big Business

Reviewed on 2/3/2020

I enjoyed it more than other recruiting software I've used. It makes work easier and helps me be a manager instead of a paper pusher.

Pros

I personally like that BambooHR has different portals for its users. They've built a database that allows employees to: 1. Maintain their own records (whether the company sends or user uploaded); track time off earned, sick days used, and hours worked; while allowing the user to sign documents easily electronically; and 2. Makes being an HR manager, easy. What I mean is, creating records (employees or temps) and ensuring they have all the blocks checked (background ran, drug test paperwork properly filled out, and any other documentation needing signed) within the timeframe needed to start working - is tracked, maintained, and recorded for you... so all in all, eliminates the monotony of HR and time wasted on paperwork while assisting managers/employees in ensuring proper compliance.

Cons

Well, I still had to scan any documents that weren't created or automated through the software and label them. For example, I work at a satellite location; the warehouse I staff for has a basketball court out back for employees to use on their break. I had to create a document that stated employees for my agency had to make sure they were clocked out, that they were responsible for any risk of injury and that the company and staffing agency would not be held liable for any resulting injury that may occur. The rest of the staffing agency didn't need this so I still had to print out 50 copies, have each employee sign one, upload it, file it in the employee file in the software, label it, then give the copy back to the employee. This really is not an issue unless if turnover is high, this could get annoying.

Jeff

Bamboo HR, a slick but severely limited recruiting software

Reviewed on 28/7/2020

As stated, the BHR system is a recruiters dream and makes the talent acquisition process easier for those businesses that are only using the job boards to get applicants. Just don't expect much more after that.

Pros

The look an feel of BambooHR (BHR) is amazing! Its almost like Facebook for recruiting. It is very intuitive for what it does and offers to the administrator and end user. The applicant tracking system is very easy to use and goes the extra mile with automation and thoughtfulness concerning on-boarding and then " flowing" into the core HRIS. The BHR system was chosen by a previous HR professional that clearly had a recruiting bias. Although important, more vetting should have been done to make a sound choice for long term success regarding the needs of a small to mid-size business.

Cons

Beyond what I described above there is limited functionality without also purchasing and integrating other systems through a "bolt-on" approach. By "Bolt-on" I mean that BHR will not automate between the core HR system of BHR and a timekeeping system, a payroll system, benefits administration system, leave administration system. The ability to have a robust system is possible but is not practical or cost effective with BambooHR. In order to get a full platform, covering the full life cycle of and employee, through BHR, a business would have to pay upwards of 30-40 dollars per employee per month. Simply put other options are available and far more robust with better long term results for less money- See my review of APS Payroll for an example.

APS Payroll, Paycom, ADP Workforce Now, Namely and Paycor

Reasons for Switching to BambooHR

Price and lack of proper education as to the actual functionality and potential cost of the system beyond on-boarding.
Lisa
  • Industry: Hospitality

Much better alternative

Reviewed on 2/12/2022

It has been fabulous!!

Pros

Employee engagement, friendly, intuitive website.

Cons

It doesn’t integrate with indeed premium services.

APS Payroll

Reasons for Choosing BambooHR

CPS was unorganized and unresponsive. Their mistakes caused loss of time effort and money. Their platform is dated and non-engaging.

Reasons for Switching to BambooHR

More intuitive cost structure. Better value for small business, employee engagement opportunities.
Keith
  • Industry: Food Production

Too simple for it's own good

Reviewed on 5/2/2022

We currently use BambooHR as an HRIS, and previously used it as an ATS. The employee database software is user friendly, but offers no customization. We inevitably switched our ATS to a different software because of these same concerns.

Pros

It's very user friendly. You don't need to be very tech savvy to use the various features available in BambooHR.

Cons

There is no customization available. If a feature is not available, there is no customization available to help tailor this program to your companies needs.

Bullhorn ATS & CRM and ADP Workforce Now

Reasons for Choosing BambooHR

We were looking for a program that ties all of our systems into one program (HRIS/ATS/Sales Database and compatibility with ADP Payroll).

Act! and Oracle Taleo Cloud

Reasons for Switching to BambooHR

It seemed like the most user friendly and offered the best compatibility with our existing programs.
Jeremy
  • Industry: Machinery

Saved my days!!!

Reviewed on 7/12/2022

It has been great. Implementation was a breeze. It has saved me so many hours I have stopped counting. It made my job so much easier. The support is top-notch. I have yet to have a question go unsolved.

Pros

It is so easy to use. From the admin and user perspectives. I have an older workforce that does not usually embrace new tech but they are utilizing BambooHR with no issues.

Cons

Would love to be able to turn off the mobile app for certain employees (who abuse it) and/or add geofencing to only allow clocking on/out within a location. I would like a page selection at the top of the employee list page. Currently, need to scroll to the bottom to change pages when I the employee i want to access is on the second page.

Paylocity, Workday HCM and Paycor

Reasons for Switching to BambooHR

It provided everything we needed at our budget level.
Amy
  • Industry: Nonprofit Organisation Management

Excellent Solution for Non-profit Management

Reviewed on 5/12/2022

BambooHR has been a multifaceted solution for our organization. We cannot recommend it highly enough.

Pros

This software was so easy to launch and is straightforward for new employees to use. It combines so many useful features into one convenient portal.

Cons

Some features, like performance management and payroll, require an additional fee. We wish they were cheaper or included.

QuickBooks Time

Reasons for Switching to BambooHR

Price point, multiple features included, and ease of use.
Francesca
  • Industry: Information Services

Best software I used

Reviewed on 13/12/2022

great

Pros

I like that it's user friendly. Easy to explain and easy to use

Cons

Probably recruitment reports are a little bit basic

Emily

BambooHR

Reviewed on 6/12/2022

I really like using BambooHR, it is easy to navigate and the employees seen to not have trouble with it either.

Pros

PTO is really easy to use and monitor, this is our online filing system. We have cut out waste. The performance review is a great tool also.

Cons

I really don't have anything off the top of my head.

GoCo

Reasons for Switching to BambooHR

Bamboo had a better Demo than any of them, it was flawless.
Nick

Residential Home Builder / Remodeler

Reviewed on 14/12/2022

Hands down the best HRIS system since PeopleSoft.

Pros

Very easy to use. All the power of systems costing tens of thousands of dollars that require trained staff to manage the software for only about $100 per month and a few minutes per week.

Cons

Have not found any yet; everything that we use works very well

Ayush
  • Industry: Staffing & Recruiting

Enjoyable And Easy To Use Tool

Reviewed on 12/1/2023

It helps to take my leave, understand it, and get to know my coworkers a little better. Everybody can access all the corporate documents through it.

Pros

Go to the tool we want and getting the information we want is fairly simple. The emails with good tips and fresh trends are an extra bonus. On their dashboard, employees can find anything they need.

Cons

Not very thorough, there are numerous things that could improve the service. Changing or altering information after it has been entered is among the inconveniences. it does not provide scheduling capabilities.

Tracie
  • Industry: Libraries

This brought us into the modern world

Reviewed on 10/2/2022

This has been a game changing addition to our department and I don't know what I would do without it. The customer service is better than any other vendor I have EVER worked with.

Pros

We are a small HR team and tracked everything on spreadsheets. This took an exorbitant amount of staff time to keep updated. I love the time tracking, our mother organization deducts leave one month after it is taken and so no one ever really knew how much leave they had. The electronic signature feature has been a game changing time saver. Supervisors being able to view employee documents at any time without having to come to our main location to pull the heavy paper file has been fantastic. And I always have current data at my fingertips including historical items that we used to have to go wade through old memos to reconstruct.

Cons

There's not much to not love. I wish there were a few more features on the application part. I wish I could have files stored that employees could fill out and forward to us without having to ask us to send them a signature request.

Paycom and Paycor

Reasons for Switching to BambooHR

Customer service, they offered a free trial, user interface, and ease of use
  • Industry: Higher Education

BambooHR is delicious!

Reviewed on 18/2/2022

We've been able to create tables to house our faculty credentials for tracking and reporting purposes. The signature documents and workflow has helped us reduce the time to create, email, and record faculty contract from several hours to 15 minutes. The eNPS survey has been a great way to monitor employee engagement every six months. We take the feedback provided in that survey and other communication channels and have made improvements in a number of areas that are important to staff and faculty.

Pros

If I were a Panda (HR Administrator), I'd eat BambooHR every day. It's delicious compared to other common HR software forage I've tried. The modern look and feel of BambooHR is terrific. Our staff love the look and ease of use. As a one person HR team with 250 employees, BambooHR makes payroll, performance management, time tracking, and attendance a breeze. Take a nibble and taste the difference!

Cons

The two items as an HR admin. that can be time consuming and a frustration are tracking training and benefit administration. It would be amazing if BambooHR would integrate with training platforms for single sign-on and training status updates on the employee profile. We use a third part benefits administration platform for benefits enrollment. They take care of the file feeds to carriers and billing. Any changes on that platform then must be updated in BambooHR for the deductions to roll over to payroll. The extra steps take time and can lead to error.

Paycom

Easy of use and cost.

Workday HCM

Reasons for Switching to BambooHR

Ease of use, ability to customize, and straightforward pricing model.
  • Industry: Religious Institutions

Our First HRIS

Reviewed on 15/2/2022

The organization had never had an HR department prior to my hire in September 2019; they were also 100% paper. Since using BHR we have been able to post simultaneously to our website and the partner website which increases our candidate pipeline and exposure. In addition, our onboarding functions have been transitioned to BHR which eliminates the emails and possible security breaches.

Pros

The ease of use; including the set-up and implementation. Also the Headcount report, invoice tracking, SparkHire and Employee Cycle Dashboards integrations and cost-efficiency were huge wins for my organization.

Cons

I would like to have a report which provides data on all of our open and on-hold vacancies. To accompany that I would also like to see a form or feature which is a position request for new or replacement roles. I'm currently using a form but to have everything housed in BHR would be much easier for HR and the hiring managers. This would also incentivize them to use the system more frequently.

Paycor

Reasons for Switching to BambooHR

Cost effective, ease of use and API with other software planned to implement and use.
Bridie

Great scalable HRIS solution

Reviewed on 15/2/2022

It has made self service HRIS a breeze!

Pros

It was super easy to set up and is quite customisable for what it is. For our size of business and our needs it does everything that we need.

Cons

Integration with Seek would be good in the hiring app, and more non-US features. We're an Australian company and there are features that just dont work for us in benefits and some demographic functions.

ELMO Software and Employment Hero

Reasons for Choosing BambooHR

We needed a proper HRIS system

Zoho Recruit

Reasons for Switching to BambooHR

It seemed to do more of what we wanted, price, and be a simpler system to administrate and use
Teresa
  • Industry: Computer & Network Security

BambooHR and TRAX review

Reviewed on 21/12/2021

HR Management, Payroll, Recruiting, Termination, On Boarding, Record Retention

Pros

The software is secure, easy to use, and supports the functions of a small business without the corporate challenges of working with a larger HR services and payroll firm. The price is right, the support team is responsive, timely and professional. We were able to customize our instance of the software to the business needs.

Cons

The software is evolving and grows to meet client needs. When we began using this in 2016, there were areas which we needed that came online and now we use fully.

Mikayla
  • Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

I Love BambooHR

Reviewed on 6/12/2022

Overall, I love BambooHR and would recommend it to any small to medium-sized company that is looking for a simple solution to connecting and managing their workforce.

Pros

The best thing about BambooHR is how user-friendly it is for all of our employees. The interface is so efficient which limits the amount of time we spend training new employees on the software. I also love the level of support we receive from BambooHR when we need it. Their customer service is top-tier!

Cons

Although we have seen Bamboo grow and adapt in many ways over the years, there are still features that we'd love to see come to life. I appreciate the ability to suggest new product developments, but I sometimes feel limited when it comes to exit interviews and report customization.

PowerSchool and Paycor

Paycom
Jennifer
  • Industry: Nonprofit Organisation Management

Best HR Product I Have Used

Reviewed on 9/12/2022

Setting up and using signed document features - super easy, allows simple tracking of who has signed.

Pros

We are a small-mid-sized business and this product makes managing people and processes very easy for the administrators and the users. User feedback is that the product is intuitive and easy to navigate.Service has always been stellar!

Cons

Features continue to be added and I am sure the one I want most will come in due time but I would love to be able to file documents with recruitments that are not connected to an applicant. Things like approval forms and interview question templates.

Dayforce HCM

Humi

Cost, interface, service
Blaise

Practical and effective HR tool!

Reviewed on 13/12/2018

We've had a great experience with BambooHR. Going into it we knew very little about the software and had just heard great things. Now that we've been on it for a few years I can say that the software has grown along with our business. It seems like BambooHR really takes the customers needs and requests to heart and tries to make the software fit each customers needs. We look forward to the new feature releases and just being able to use the software as it is for years to come!

Pros

My favorite thing about BambooHR, in general, is that they are always trying new things and releasing new features. They just released a sync feature that syncs with TRAX Payroll software and cuts out the time needed to reconcile the 2 systems. The software is very user-friendly and you are able to find a help article about nearly anything you could ever want to know. One of my favorite features is the e-signing you can set up for HR documents. Our on-boarding goes a lot smoother not having to print out each form and fill out by hand. The Hiring module also works great. In that module, I love the ability to rate each individual candidate and keep internal notes about them. I really appreciate the ability to track conversations had with that candidate within the module so I don't have to hunt down the communication in my inbox each time.

Cons

I've only been able to find one single thing that I would change about the software and that is that I would make it possible for one person to be a manager for operations purposes and another person manager for compensation purposes. I've ran into the problem where the operations person doesn't need to see the compensation of their co-worker, but another person at a VP level should be able to request and approve compensation, essentially skipping over the Operations Manager for compensation purposes. I haven't yet found a way around it, so we just eliminated the Operations Manager from the profile and have the VP listed as manager, but this doesn't change my opinion that I would recommend this to anyone!

Leigh
  • Industry: Executive Office

A lot of Bang for Our Bucks

Reviewed on 17/5/2022

Overall, our experience with BambooHR has been extremely positive. Our employees have raved over how much more efficient and streamlined our HR processes are. Customer Support, if needed, is super responsive and satisfactory resolutions/answers are provided quickly.

Pros

There are so many positive things I can say about this software that I am not sure I even know where to begin. Implementation was a breeze, the look and feel of Bamboo is clean and intuitive, and there are so many options for an organization to really make it their own through branding and customization. Additionally, I am a huge fan of the amount of administrative control I have within the system. For me, this was a huge selling point.

Cons

Nothing is perfect. Not even Bamboo. Although they have made great strides in enhancing some of their features, they're still not as robust as some other systems in some areas. However, as an administrator and an end-user, I do appreciate how they listen to feedback from their customers and it shows in their efforts to continuously improve their product. The only "con" that would make me reevaluate our relationship with Bamboo would be a drastic price increase without any new features to justify it.

Namely and Paylocity

isolved
Jade

BambooHR literally has everything our company requires.

Reviewed on 19/9/2022

Overall, it was a fantastic experience; hiring and tracking new employees was a breeze. We use Learning Management System (LMS) and integrating the two is straightforward. The app is useful for tracking time and work hours, especially since most of us work abroad. And security is top notch. We store people's information here, and we like how BambooHR performs security checks and locks on its own when you are not in front of your computer.

Pros

We previously used Time Doctor to track our time and for payroll. However, as the company expanded. We want a system that allows us to track all employees from their assessment/ job application to their onboarding. We can even send new hire packets to get them prepared for the job.
This includes what they needed to do on their first day, what documents they needed to submit, and who they should contact. It's also easy to track time off request and UPTOs. BambooHR can also be integrated with LMS tools such as TalentLMS.
As a user, the app is very useful; seeing your timesheet hours and pay period, as well as the payroll reminder, is a great feature.

Cons

The training section of BambooHR is a little complicated, and adding new training and categories is done alphabetically. As a result, having your own training roadmap and guidelines causes everything to become jumbled. When we asked their support team for help in resolving the issue, they were able to help us by manually assigning a number to each category. Another thing is, marking each training category as complete must be done one at a time. It takes a lot of effort, but it works.

David

They understand and support customers

Reviewed on 15/2/2022

Extremely receptive, understanding company, who want to support HR and provide easy-to-use, clear tools for daily HR tasks. They even educate the HR company through their annual virtual summit, which has become one of the very best as they know the most relevant topics and attract the best speakers ... and it's free to register.

Pros

I found BambooHR very easy to set up, with a very clear, clean interface, a great mobile app and very easy to use for the employees. I am very impressed with the ease with which I was able to set up time-off policies and performance management, and the applicant tracking system is simple and collaborative. A great strength of Bamboo is the customer service - everybody I have spoken to is communicative, responsive, helpful, knowledgable - they seem to genuinely want to help. Their help documentation is very good and they keep clients up to date monthly with product developments and tips via video. Setting up forms for e-signature is awesome, and the newly introduced COVID tracker and storage of information has sensibly (and for legal reasons) been separated from other HR files.

Cons

I'd like to see more flexibility in creating sub-folders for file storage, and integrations with more payroll providers and the time-tracking could use a little more development, but I do like that Bamboo continues to improve in all these aspects and that stops me jumping ship even when there are limitations.

Robin
  • Industry: Hospitality

Mid Size Company User

Reviewed on 18/2/2022

My overall experience with BambooHR has been amazing. I love the ease and functionality and the fact that we can continue to build upon it in the future. We are also doing some integrations, such as with our POS, and they have been super easy. Also, the help section is great with so many resources to access to answer questions and learn how to use features rather than having to look through a giant handbook. Reporting is one of the best features and has made a world of difference for us also.

Pros

BambooHR was very easy to set up and implement and my contact was extremely helpful and patient. I love that this can be a one stop shop for so many functions and is user friendly. The ability to add on new functions and apps is fantastic. Prior to BambooHR we did everything on paper and spreadsheets but now I can run reports so quickly and know that critical forms and information is saved and protected forever.

Cons

The I-9 functionality is difficult at times. If the employee forgets to complete part of Section 1 it will not send a notification to me or back to the employee. It would be nice to also have a function that will not allow the employee to finish their tasks unless the I-9 is completed correctly.
One other issue that would be great is if there would be a way to assign a new signee in an already partially completed document. Example is an I-9 that the employee has done their part and is then assigned to the HR representative to input ID and sign, but that HR rep has left the company and there is currently no way to remove her and assign someone else. I am told to cancel and send the task again to the new hire, but this is impacting the compliance of the I-9 process.

Kristen

BambooHR has Changed the Way HR Supports Our Management Teams

Reviewed on 4/11/2022

BambooHR has provided us with the support to easily work in hybrid and remote environments. Plus, communication between management, employees, and HR has never been more streamlined! Before BambooHR, we communicated primarily through email throughout the company. Our HR office was stacked with file storage to organize employee files, and information required us to be on-site in the HR office to access. Announcements were often posted in our break room and through email.

Pros

From a manager's standpoint, it's incredibly easy to navigate around BambooHR to find annual review documents, approve OOO/PTO requests, and access timecards. The software has also provided a way to quickly see who is out of the office at any given moment, access our other HR resources, implement a digital company directory, and sign off on HR forms. I no longer need to search emails for PTO request approvals or other communications—I simply access my BambooHR inbox from my laptop or even on my mobile device while I travel. In addition, BambooHR has also allowed us to create a branded portal with our own brand colors and logo, which is quite a nice touch. BambooHR's mobile app makes it simple to find incoming out of office requests, company links, a directory, and file access. I can also submit requests and access my own information pretty quickly.

Cons

There is facial recognition available the app, but it's a toggle that needs to be activated within Settings once you log in. There isn't a pop-up when logging in that offers you this option, which makes logging into the mobile app a little clunky upon first use. In both the mobile device and the browser app, a calendar view provides a summary of who is out of office each date. However, there is not a filter option to isolate this view to your direct reports. This makes it difficult to quickly approve time-off requests if you are unable to quick reference a calendar for when team members will be out of office.

Barry
  • Industry: Religious Institutions

What Bamboo Means to Calvary Church

Reviewed on 10/2/2022

For an organization like Calvary that strives for perfection, to have our leadership embrace this product means that it was an endorsement of me as well as HR. Each new addition to the original purchase has been helpful and embraced. YEAH!

Pros

I was not trained in HR when I was asked to do HR. Calvary Church had never had an HR person. But we are getting bigger and we needed one. My immediate request upon being asked to be HR was a request for a software program. After my research I landed on BambooHR. I've been extremely happy. Calvary Church is happy. It has been a great product for our organization. Every time we add a new piece we've been happy with the roll out and implementation. Makes me look good.

Cons

I'm not a software trained person, nor am I an HR person. I am a former school principal. I do, at times, have to ask for help from our IT or your Support Heroes. Most are resolved or answered by a chat. But some of the access levels and permissions still get me. They seem at times confusing and difficult.

Mina
  • Industry: Architecture & Planning

Bamboo is a great product for Recruitment, On-Boarding, and Performance Management!

Reviewed on 10/2/2022

Overall it has been great. I love the surveys and the fact that we can see the comments helps us stay informed of employee satisfaction and has brought issues to light that might not have been noticed without the surveys.

Pros

It is graphically pleasing and there are some abilities to match your brand in the setup. However, it would be nice if the color range options were expanded so that the branding of the product can more closely meet the corporate branding guidelines. Additionally the on-boarding features are great, and since you can tighten up security, it allows us to give access to "onboarding teams" and has greatly enhanced the experience of newly hired workers.

Cons

I was hoping to use Bamboo for all HR functions, but the inability to import our payroll history was a deal breaker for us. We are using another product for payroll, cobra and benefit integration and initially thought it would replace Bamboo. However, we love the way Bamboo graphics presents information such as who is out for the day, so we will continue to use both programs.