PicMonkey

Photo editing and design tools designed to elevate brands

4.5/5

831 Software options

Jaze P.
  • Industry: Architecture & Planning

Images Turn Out Lovely When Using PicMonkey

Reviewed on 3/9/2021

There are so many templates to play around with that I literally have to dedicate a whole day to picking out which one does it for me the most. PicMonkey bought out the photo-editing genius in me that I never knew existed because I usually take video-editing seriously, photos were never really my thing but now they totally are.

Pros

I have been making amazing photo projects as of late with this software. I upload my image into the program, I fine-tune my exposure settings, I add an effect or two just to see how much better my image can become, then I just play around with some of their touch-up tools to make the image really stand out and Voilà, I got me a masterpiece.

Cons

Something bizarre keeps happening when I use PicMonkey though. It just freezes. In making sure that it wasn't anything on my end I tried it on 3 different PCs and the the same result would happen eventually. One time it happened when I was working on an image for about 3 hours, of course silly me, I hadn't saved my work yet so I had to start all over again which was a huge bummer. They might want to look into that.

GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program)

Reasons for Choosing PicMonkey

I have used Canva on a number of occasions and have always had fun with it, but not to the level of fun I had when I started using PicMonkey. I usually use Canva for specific tasks like creating a banner for my YouTube channel or making a quick logo, PicMonkey is so much more than that, I really enjoy using it for collages.

Canva

Reasons for Switching to PicMonkey

I saw GIMP as more of a technical approach when it came to photo-editing, sort of what like Photoshop is and that was not my intention when I was looking for a new photo-editing program. I needed something more playful and less difficult than that.
Molly N.
  • Used Daily for Free Trial

Basic Filters for Simple Projects

Reviewed on 21/4/2021

It's easy to use, has tons of options, and isn't super costly. However, it's pretty basic, so if you want higher quality editing, I don't think it's worth it.

Pros

I liked how many filter options there are, how easy it is to use, and how quickly it works. I used it mostly for photo editing with the filter options.

Cons

The free trial is nice, but so so many features are paid. It's not super expensive, but if I wanted a good photo editor, I'd shell out for PhotoShop or something else. I just didn't think it was worth the money for our company.

Gravit Designer Pro

Reasons for Switching to PicMonkey

The free trial had the options we needed at the time.

Response from PicMonkey

Thank you for your carefully considered review, Molly. We wanted you to know that you can do TONS of super sophisticated looks, for your photos or designs, in PicMonkey. Have a look at the articles in our Resource Center, here: https://www.picmonkey.com/blog

Michelle A.
  • Industry: Arts & Crafts

Make your photos stand out!

Reviewed on 22/3/2021

You can specifically edit your Facebook cover photo or even photos for intended Instagram posts with PicMonkey. Social media isn't going away anytime soon and it is fun to make your photos look the best they possibly can.

Pros

There are many photo editing programs out there and I have certainly tried a lot of them. I have to say that PicMonkey is by far my favorite. It is a great program for beginners, or anyone who really hasn't edited photos before. You do not need any previous experience of photo editing to be able to use PicMonkey.

I have an online business and I have used PicMonkey to create banners, crop and edit photos of my product, as well as add fonts. I love that you can import your own fonts. It allows you to make whatever you are creating much more customizable and to tailor it to your preference. The "Auto Adjust" feature works great to fix a photo that needs the color corrected or brightened with a single click.

I use PicMonkey to create the flyer I put in each product I ship out and I have received some excellent feedback on the quality of the photos on this flyer. I use the collage feature specifically, allowing me to have the maximum number of pictures of different products for sale on a single page. I have been able to edit my photos from simple to eyecatching with this software.

I have also used PicMonkey to edit family photos and upload them to create calendars. This past Christmas I created two calendars this way and they were great Christmas presents for my parents and in-laws.

Cons

You only get a 7 day trial before you have to commit to purchase. Another con is that you can only upload or download images one at a time. If I am trying to upload multiple photos onto a template, there is no option to choose all 30 at once and I think they should fix this feature.

Brian K.
  • Industry: Graphic Design

Great Cross-browser Platform for Photo and Image-editing Anytime and Anywhere!

Reviewed on 13/9/2018

Overall, PicMonkey is still a useful and great tool. For the untrained in graphic arts, it is going to be easy, fast to pick up with given tutorials and tips readily available within PicMonkey. You can work anywhere and anytime on any browser on any OS platforms without having to worry about compatibility issues on software and hardware. It should be a smooth ride!

Pros

Personally, I had used PhotoShop and many other graphic tools. PicMonkey is one of them as well. I do find it a fantastic tool, second to Canva. (other more popular online graphic design tool) It also has got an affordable price point compared to Canva or Snappa. (another less popular graphic editing tool) If you don't want to invest too much on a heavy-duty program like PhotoShop that contains a lot of features, PicMonkey maybe a better alternative for you. It contains a slick and fast user interface to work with. It also has got less functions than PhotoShop, but it is easy to use and master the basics. Moreover, it offers great flexibility in terms of opening up images saving them from various storage media.

Cons

PicMonkey offers only a miserable 7-day trial. I was hoping they would give us a longer trial period. At the least, a 14-day trial will be so much better. Well, freebies always come with constraints, I guess. And also that banner advertisements in the software interface that can distract your attention if you are using a FREE account. I also discovered that there is no upload of custom logos or graphics option in the software. As you will experience, anything that is designed to give you great productivity and ease of use, will limit your customisation needs and constrain your workflows and ideas. E.g. I found that moving and placing images are constrained by the nodes (points) of the selected object or text. It is not so free and flexible compared to doing the same thing in PhotoShop though.

Sue R.

Great photo editing

Reviewed on 13/2/2019

I used PicMonkey for my business photos. I sold jewelry online so it was imperative my photos were spot on, showed the actual color and texture of the pieces, didn't have shadows or blemishes in the background. I could crop and add text such as sizes or special features. I can enhance a models lip or eye color and add sparkle or a multitude of other features available. Change the exposure, enhance certain colors, make black and white, resize and sharpen images and rotate photos.

This software does so much more than I used it for but it certainly covered all the bases when it came to what I needed. And the price is unbeatable when it comes to editing software.

Pros

No download so it can be used without taking up PC space. The vast amount of editing features are great for business and personal use, kids love it too. There really isn't anything I couldn't do of fix. Import photos to make collages, add text, change backgrounds, fix photos or just jazz up an image. It was easy to learn unlike so many of the expensive editor software and the price is great.

Cons

There's limited help although some of the features have tips available as you use them.

Holly A.

Love Pic Monkey.

Reviewed on 12/5/2020

Totally happy and satisfied. By far the best photo editing app around.

Pros

Out of all the photo editing apps, PicMonkey is my favorite. I used to use the free trial and just signed up for a paid account. I love that I can import my own fonts -- and you can even do that on the free trial.

Cons

I do wish the monthly fee was a little cheaper. It is a bit steep but still worth it if you are going to use it everyday. It is a bit annoying that you can't download on the free trial, though.

Cherie N.
  • Industry: Music

PicMonkey Keeps Getting Better

Reviewed on 8/9/2020

I love using Pic Monkey. I use it to design t shirts, e-book pages, photo shop photographs, social media graphics and more. It's much easier to use than a pro editor like Adobe Photoshop. You can't go wrong with a premium membership. You get access to everything!

Pros

I have been a Pic Monkey user for a long time. They have transitioned with the changing times to offer more to their customers. I still love the opportunity to use the cloning tool in my photos. New feature I love is the transparent background for png images. The Best part of Pic Monkey is that everything on the site is available for commercial license use. I love this for creating items that I actually sell online.

Cons

I had been grandfathered in to a lower price basic membership. For a long time a paid membership was the premium membership. Now I have to pay even more, to get all the features I want. But I am because I use Pic Monkey all the time. Pic Monkey is similar to Canva, but there are enough photography tools that canva doesn't have that make a premium membership at both desirable.

Mike M.

PicMonkey The Complete Online Photo Editor

Reviewed on 29/1/2019

PicMonkey is a complete photo editing tool with ease of access, minimal time to learn how to maximize learning how to create both edits and work with templates. PicMonkey has an amazing number of different effects all clearly laid out by category. Very complete editor. I would recommend purchasing this app as a fundamental tool for professional photo results.

Pros

PicMonkey is a complete photo editing tool that is easy to use and after the latest update has taken care of all of my photo editing needs. Work saves automatically in case of unexpected shut down.

Cons

In order to use this service completely it was necessary to pay to use this program. The free version is basically useless.

Brielan G.
  • Industry: Animation

PicMonkey Review

Reviewed on 7/8/2019

Pros

PicMonkey is a great simple editing software for beginners. Even as a professional, I often turn to Picmonkey for cool fonts that I don't need to worry about tracking down on my own. I love the wide variety of effects one can use without needing to have an indepth knowledge of photo editing or illustrating.

Cons

It is a bit simplistic for any professional, and any feature and more on Picmonkey could be created in Photoshop.

Shawlyn F.
  • Industry: Automotive

Great for on the go

Reviewed on 3/1/2020

I use PicMonkey for fun and for business. I like that I can add a watermark for those projects that I do not want my pictures being used for other things.

Pros

I love that I can do a very quick edit and enhancement on pictures immediately. I can also add a watermark if I choose to do so.

Cons

I do not like that I have to save to a device unless I pay to save it in the app. I find that it should be the other way around.

Lightspeed Retail

Reasons for Switching to PicMonkey

The ease of use and functionality.
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

LOVE picmonkey for everything!

Reviewed on 12/4/2019

Picmonkey is awesome and I will continue to use it forever. Does most of all the advanced things you need it to that photoshop does if you really learn the ins and outs.

Pros

I use picmonkey for everything! I have been using it forever (yearsssss). I love it for editing images, creating pngs, thumbnails etc. It can pretty much do anything you need it to do whether that be for social media or for a website. I have never needed to use photoshop because picmonkey does it all pretty much!

Cons

LOVE it, no cons at all. I'd say if I have to say something, maybe do a cheaper yearly subscription.

Tae Y.

A Superb Experience with Picmonkey

Reviewed on 27/2/2020

It gave me an opportunity to focus on web design and not have to stress over hiring a graphics designer. The fonts and layouts made my tasks easy and the results were incredible.

I also had some customer service issues and [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] was very helpful in resolving my issue and providing a top notch experience for my company using Picmonkey.

Pros

I first started using this software over 5 years for the ease of use, value, and functionality. It is still a wonderful product today.

Cons

It is strictly a web based SaaS so you need to have internet access.

Peter W.
  • Industry: Farming

Huge boost to the quality of my photos and messaging to my eBay customers

Reviewed on 19/4/2018

I am confident that the improvement in the photos in my eBay listings have contributed to my sales along with the CrazyLister software.

Pros

I love the ease with which I can gather key photos of my products into one single creative collage or "picture" to show my customers on eBay. Sometimes eBay's limit of 12 photos is not enough. The first photo that my potential customers will see are 1000 times more eye-catching than a single simple photo I would have posted in the past. In one single "picture" I can have several sample photos of my products being in action. It is really fun to use, there are many ways to arrange your photos and you can add all sorts of interesting fonts layered over your photos.
It is also a great photo editor. Besides the great quality of the program, I just really love how easy it is to use, especially since I have never been a tech savvy person! I took advantage of their one week free trial and almost immediately saw the huge potential benefit it gave me for my eBay listings. In my experience it has more than paid for itself.

Cons

I have not run into any issues yet to cause me to curse the service. I only use about 15% of the tools offered.

Henry N.
  • Industry: Newspapers

Indispensable tool for a photographer.

Reviewed on 14/5/2019

PicMonkey supports me a lot in my work as a photographer, because all my photographs daily go through this application to edit and retouch them since this software allows me to cut, paste, place texts, change filters and highlight the beauty of my photographic shot.

Pros

I like it to be a software in the cloud, to help me edit photographs with a lot of speed and quality and to make available a large number of templates with which to improve my photographs at a low cost.

Cons

So far I have not detected any inconveniences in PicMonkey, because since I use it it has worked correctly.

Kara B.
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

So great for the price

Reviewed on 14/10/2020

I have used this program for about 8 years and I'm still super happy!

Pros

I love how easy picmonkey is to use. I own a bakery and use it to create promos, menus, social media posts, etc. I love the templates to get me started and the suggested font pairings are awesome.

Cons

I wish that I could edit videos in picmonkey, but I always have quicktime on my computer for that! .

Adobe Illustrator

price
Jenny R.
  • Industry: Mental Health Care

Picmonkey

Reviewed on 18/6/2021

Pros

What I like about it is that you can create whatever you want

Cons

What I do not like about it is that whatever you create, once it is saved, cannot be re-edited which is super annoying

Response from PicMonkey

Hello and thank you so much for reviewing PicMonkey -- we are glad you like the product. One thing you should know is that you can indeed re-edit your designs after you've saved them. ALL your designs get auto-saved to your folders in Hub, PicMonkey cloud storage, and you can open them at any time and re-edit. Hope this helps!

Rebecca H.

Clever and Intuitive Photo Editing

Reviewed on 11/12/2018

PicMonkey is clever, unintimidating and easy to use. Even if you have zero photo-editing experience, you can still get high-quality, professional results in a snap. Templates and tutorials are relevant and on-trend.

Pros

I use PicMonkey every day to quickly and easily resize photos and create social media graphics. It has saved me a ton of time and frustration, compared to using more complicated photo editing programs, and the results are always clean and professional. There’s almost no learning curve, as every step is clear and intuitive.

Cons

I can’t think of anything negative to say – it’s awesome!

Amanda D.
  • Industry: Apparel & Fashion

Cheap alternative for creating graphics

Reviewed on 31/5/2021

It's been a simple, easy-to-use product to create graphics for marketing purposes.

Pros

PicMonkey allows the average user to create stunning graphics. It's a great alternative to someone who is budget conscious and doesn't have the means to get a software such as the Adobe Suite.

Cons

Since it is a cheaper alternative, there are limits to the features. It will allow you to create basic designs, but if you are used to something with a lot more freedom, you may find it limiting.

Response from PicMonkey

Thanks, Amanda, for your thoughts about PicMonkey. We do consider PicMonkey to be a fully featured photo editing and design site, contrary to what you said. Have another look: you can use templates, but you can also start from scratch, and basically do anything under the sun. Not many other sites offer the rich rich photo editing capabilities PLUS start-from-scratch design capabilities that PicMonkey does. We'd suggest that you go to https://www.picmonkey.com/blog for a ton of articles about all the things you can do with PicMonkey.

Allison D.

Love Picmonkey!

Reviewed on 10/1/2019

Pros

I use picmonkey for all my photo editing. If you need to make some quick changes (cropping, filters, etc) or some more detailed work like double exposures it's very easy. I love the templates that recently came out and being able to save work to the hub to edit later.

Cons

I wish you could edit a photo to be a certain size like facebook to instagram sizing.

• Industry: Online Media

Easy Photo Editing Tool

Reviewed on 30/9/2019

Good! Very satisfied with the outcome and figuring it out was a breeze!

Pros

Incredibly easy to use and editing of photos is easy to figure out when compared to most paid platforms.Lot of text font and overlay options.

Cons

This could easily be offered as a free platform. The pro package is pricey but the user has access to more photo editing features

Shelby S.
  • Industry: Newspapers

PicMonkey for photo journalism

Reviewed on 13/7/2020

Overall I've had a great experience with PicMonkey and I've learned more about photo editing by using it. We get our photos edited quickly and they increase in quality.

Pros

We use PicMonkey to edit photos for the newspaper website and print newspaper. I love how easy PicMonkey is to navigate for people who aren't experienced with photo editing, it allows us to quickly edit photos and delegate the task to interns during busier days. Functionality is easy, quality is high, and the storage limit is generous.

Cons

The price is a bit high and that is my only complaint because the software is high quality and increases productivity for us.

Sheri C.
  • Industry: Computer Networking
  • Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

Pic Monkey Review

Reviewed on 15/7/2019

My experience was overall great. And I will continue to use pic monkey.

Pros

I love this software for editing photos for personal and website use. The software is easy to use. And you are able to save photos, make collages, and touch up photos, resize, and much more.

Cons

I don't think there is anything I really dislike about the software.

Raj P.

Best Photo editing software

Reviewed on 3/12/2019

I love using PicMonkey, it allows to create social media posts and website banners quickly. I have been using it now for a couple of years and so I can simply tell PicMonkey is the best than any other online editors.

Pros

The PickMonkey's list of features I can do almost anything I want with photos I would like to edit. In addition to excellent photo editing options, PicMonkey provides a solid amount of graphic designing tools that I can use during the process of making any banner images for my website or produce impressive social media images.

Cons

The least helpful about PicMonkey is that it has an image size limit. It allows to choose from three different options but no option allows to upload images larger than 16 Mega Pixels and if I upload larger images than this the PicMonkey will automatically resizes the image to 4000×4000 pixels.

Mariah S.

One of my favorites!

Reviewed on 9/10/2020

It's my initial go-to app for all things pic-editing related. My very favorite thing is the 'erase backgrounds' feature because I work a lot with logos. I would estimate that 90% of the time all of my needs are met w/ PicMonkey!

Pros

I love the available fonts and other customization tools. I REALLY love the 'erase backgrounds' tool! Not all photo editing apps offer that and it sets PicMonkey apart from others in that way. The app is really easy to use!

Cons

Sometimes I have to pause a project and try to figure it out from my laptop or vice versa. I wish the 2 platforms had all of the same features, but hopefully that's coming down the road as they continue to make improvements. If I experience any issues I'll just defer to a different app since there are so many that offer a variety of things. PicMonkey is pretty consistent aside from that though.

Mim H.
  • Used for 2+ years

Great free option for editing images

Reviewed on 4/6/2021

For quick, non-complex edits to images and photos, this is a great option. For someone that is looking for a wide range of editing capabilities, expect to need to pay some amount for a pro account or go with a different program.

Pros

They offer a lot of different tools and options for editing images and photos that can be used free of charge. I also really like that it is web-based and doesn't require a download of any sort.

Cons

On the flip side, there are some options that require you use the "pro" service, which can be frustrating when you're not needing to use the system often. It would be nice if they offered a free version of ALL the features for a period of time before requiring you to go pro for certain options.

Response from PicMonkey

Thanks for reviewing PicMonkey!