Inkscape

4/5

333 Software options

Ray A.
  • Industry: Research

Very capable, powerful tool for creating vector images. Cross-platform and open source.

Reviewed on 8/4/2021

Since 2004, I have used Inkscape for creating vector graphics. Inkscape can easily handle small reasonably complex drawings. However, when working on large diagrams, comprised of hundreds of objects and many layers, Inkscape would become less responsive and occasionally crash. For creating highly complex diagrams, I still rely on CorelDraw which is far more robust overall. But I use Inkscape for all simpler diagrams and have watched it transform over the years into an increasingly powerful vector graphics program.

Pros

Cross-platform and open source. This has several big advantages:

a) No need to worry about proprietary file formats and vendor-lock because it saves files in the open SVG format. Drawings that you create today will still be easily opened and used 10 years from now in either new versions of Inkscape, or in one of many other applications that can also open SVG files.

b) No economic barriers to use- our members can easily download and use Inkscape without worrying about license costs. This helps encourage teamwork and sharing responsibility of creating drawings.

c) No barriers caused by using different operating systems: Our organization members can use Inkscape on our computers regardless of which operating system. Some members Linux, others use Mac or Windows 10). Inkscape performs flawlessly on all installations.

Can import Adobe Illustrator (AI), CorelDraw (CDR), EPS, PDF, VSD files and allow modification and edits.

Cons

The way Inkscape handles docker panels is somewhat confusing. Dockers are sidebar panels that display information about layers and objects in the drawing. Currently, the user must navigate to the software menu, click on OBJECT and then click on "Object" to turn on the Object docker panel. The same slow procedure must be repeated for Layers: navigate to the software menu, click on LAYER, and then click on "Layer" to turn on the Layer docker panel. A more convenient option would be to list all docker panels in the software menu VIEW drop-down list or perhaps somewhere else.

In CorelDraw, I used to organize objects in my drawings by placing them in different layers. Inkscape does not seem to be able to do this. This is immensely useful for creating maps as each layer can be turned on or off depending on the type of map you want to create. ie) having a Road Layer, Water Layer, Houses Layer, Vegetation Layer, etc allow me to turn on only the layer I want to display. I can then create separate image files /diagrams for roads, river systems, housing, and vegetation for use in documents or academic articles.
Inkscape developers stated several years ago that this feature would be implemented. Perhaps it was implemented, but I have not been able to get Inkscape to work this way

When working on very large and complex diagrams with many layers, Inkscape can become quite slow to respond. For this reason, I tend to use CorelDraw for complex large diagrams

Govinda H.
  • Industry: Nonprofit Organisation Management
  • Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

Review for Inkspace

Reviewed on 15/1/2020

Considering it is a free platform, I have actually enjoyed the high quality material I can develop using it. Moreover, its cross-functionality is amazing, I can easily open PDF or AI files to edit and modify.

Pros

The software is user-friendly and runs on many platforms. It helps with my ongoing daily routine tasks. The best thing about it is that its absolutely free. You dont have to pay a penny.

Cons

It doesnt have a lot of options or functions to offer, very limited. Also, its interface is not very attractive unlike the other platforms.

Reasons for Choosing Inkscape

I moved from Adobe Illustrator because it is free. Plus it offers me the option to modify documents and files of other platforms which others dont offer. It is value for money.

Reasons for Switching to Inkscape

It is an open source (free) software and offers medium-range functions at almost no price to pay. It can also easily convert bitmap images to vectors which is a plus. Overall, it offers enough functions for me to get my work done without paying any money.
Adam B.
  • Industry: Media Production

Escape from monthly dues, try Inkscape

Reviewed on 5/12/2019

Love it! I use it monthly to design fliers, t-shirts, business cards and help with web design for our non-profit that we run in our spare time. Inkscape is really a tool that can do it all and will not break your budget.

Pros

This is an open source project, I love things that are free (as in free beer and free speech). Inkscape is such a great value for the money. It takes a little time to learn, just like other graphics programs. If you are coming from the Adobe Illustrator realm, you will find things frustrating initially. Menu and tools and shortcuts are all different. But the principles of vector design and illustration are all there. You can literally do anything with this product. It won't have that glossy appeal of using Ai but it WILL get the job done. I just printed 100 T-shirts last week from an .eps I created in Inkscape (design and layout).

Cons

It's not flashy like Adobe, it doesn't look sexy from an interface perspective. Does that matter? Probably not. There is a learning curve though, be patient it is worth it.

Linos S.
  • Industry: Higher Education
  • Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

Feels ready to move to a stable release

Reviewed on 11/5/2019

I started using Inkscape years ago, mostly to convert vector graphics and work with them as paths in GIMP. As both the application progressed and I became more experienced with vectors, I can now work from scratch in Inkscape when I need something done that way.

Pros

A cross platform, open source solution, with a helpful community. After a lot of work through more than a decade, Inkscape now feels more stable than ever.

Cons

Developer team have not released Version 1.00 yet, so I guess you could run into trouble with certain issues. Still, it is worth trying, and if anything occurs, just give it another try after it goes full stable.

Boxy SVG, CorelDRAW and Adobe Illustrator

Reasons for Switching to Inkscape

I ruled out non-free solutions for being to expensive. LibreOffice Draw was using too much CPU and RAM, and often crashed. I use both Boxy SVG and Inkscape, depending on the situation.
Nick W.
  • Used for 2+ years

Used for several projects, all awesome!

Reviewed on 19/11/2019

I've never been disappointed with the end product of any of my projects when I've worked with Inkscape. Definitely a recommended product.

Pros

I love how versatile Inkscape is. I'm no professional artist but I've used the program to design my wife's and my wedding logo for invitations, various logos for side businesses, and even a design layout for my backyard. I always feel like I can do whatever I set out to do in Inkscape.

Cons

Disclaimer: I am very much an amateur when it comes to vector art, so I'm sure that there are people who would think that my cons are no big deal at all. That being said, it would be great if certain things were a little more user-friendly in certain aspects, such as unions, differences, intersections, etc., as there have been times when I had to mess with it a bit to make those functions work. Probably user error but for things like that, it would be nice not to have to look up walkthroughs so much.

Fantastic free tool for vector graphics

Reviewed on 26/8/2020

Overall, I'm very happy with Inkscape and use it to create/edit logos, banners, and other illustrations.

Pros

Without question, the best thing about Inkscape is the fact that it's completely free. It offers all the tools you'd ever need and has lots of useful extensions for more specific needs.

Cons

It's hard for me to find something to dislike about Inkscape. I'd only say that it could use some tweaks in the interface itself, especially in the dark theme.

Serena L.
  • Industry: Design

A Free Solution For Your Vector Art

Reviewed on 13/4/2019

Nothing to dislike since is open-source.

Pros

One of the main reason why we chose this in the past till today is open-source and free-to-use. Another advantage also is the ability to import, edit popular vector formats like eps and ai files. The workflow is quite similar to adobe illustrator and can be a good replacement for small scale vector art design.

Cons

There's quite abit of learning curve for non-graphic designers who are already familiar with similar software like adobe illustrator or long-time ago macromedia freehand. Another rather annoying thing is the application takes some while to startup and render (many layers/ objects).

Paul E.

A more than capable alternative

Reviewed on 20/8/2021

Having previously used Adobe products when I was employed in a medium sized company, Inkscape has many of the same, or similar features but without having to shell out a small fortune. For a small business that doesn't need to produce that many graphics, Inkscape more than fits the bill.

Pros

Aside form being totally free, I really like the amount of features included that make creating graphics, logos, flyers and other printed materials a breeze. I also appreciate the amount of users who have left guides on the internet, so if like me, you're not involved with graphics daily you can always tap other people's knowledge to complete your task in hand.

Cons

I can't really think of any negatives, sometimes there are quirks to the program but a quick internet search soon throws up solution from the community of users.

Steven M.
  • Industry: Religious Institutions

For all designers

Reviewed on 14/10/2021

This is a fantastic software and is very powerful the creator has done a great job. The user base ranges from just playing around to professionals and all who I know love it.

Pros

This software can be used by everyone and so reliable. Works on all platforms and never had a issue with crashing more powerful that most realize.

Cons

Not an issue for me but a few friends have said that if your background is in adobe this can be a bit of a learning curve

• Industry: Semiconductors

Inkscape for Laser Cutting

Reviewed on 3/3/2019

Been using it to create designs for icons and laser cutting blueprints and images for months and is a great software but if you want to create very precise blueprints Inkscape may not be the best for you as it is mainly a drawing software. Though you should give it a try. The software is compatible with many file formats and you may find tutorials on the web and in the developers website there's a very good guide.

Pros

Inkscape is a great quality design freeware, great for making illustrations in vector format, easy to use very natural commands and intuitive interface it also has the ability to add software modules to make it able to do extra tasks such as output gcode for CNC machines, for example. To make designs for laser cutting you need to draw the vector or convert and image to vector which is easy and then be sure all objects are converted to paths and finally save as dxf, remember to save in another file. All this is very easy to do.

Cons

Mayor complaint is the fact that conversion to dxf file format may have errors in may intricate font types and are needed to be corrected manually.

Brent B.
  • Industry: Apparel & Fashion
  • Used for 6-12 months

Inkscape is great for beginning graphic artists and people on a budget

Reviewed on 18/10/2020

I used Inkscape when I first launched my business because it is by far the best option out there for FREE! I could not have ever created any of my first designs without this program.

Pros

Pros:
It's open source which means it's FREE!
Similar layout to Adobe Illustrator
Very powerful

Cons

Cons:
There is a pretty steep learning curve (especially if you've never used a vector program before)
Although it's very powerful, it lacks some options that the competitors offer

Reasons for Switching to Inkscape

It's FREE, open source, and offers many of the same features

The cost of free

Reviewed on 5/8/2021

I like it because it was free and we were a startup so overhead matters. At some point we outgrew our need and the free was no longer enough. Some of the more needed tasks too twice as long to dial in as again the paid alternatives

Pros

Best feature is the price it is free and yes it is a vector software.
It does the basics of vectoring and design creation

Cons

Not intuitive
It take many mores steps to complete functions compared to paid alternatives

Adobe Illustrator and Affinity Designer

Reasons for Switching to Inkscape

Main reason was it was free
Janet D.
  • Industry: Religious Institutions

Fantastic Free Vector Graphics Software

Reviewed on 4/4/2019

This is a powerful software with full functionality. A great, free substitute for Illustrator. It is updated regularly to keep it fresh. Would highly recommend this software, have been using for about 4 years now.

Pros

The ease of use is great. However, it also has a lot of support for the areas that you need help with. It has been around long enough to have extensive tutorials and how tos to learn tons of fun new tricks and applications.

Cons

One of the updates removed a feature that I really liked in an older version and I cannot find it. However, I think that may be a user error and not due to the software's ability.

Amanda R.
  • Industry: Graphic Design

Love It!

Reviewed on 12/6/2019

I just love it. It's my go to editor for all my invitation designs as well as logo and business card designs! I've never had an issue!

Pros

I like that it's totally free and so easy to learn to use!

Cons

I wish it had better photo filters and effects!

Use Inkscape to escape Adobe's skyrocketing costs

Reviewed on 3/4/2019

Pros

I enjoy the UI/UX of Inkscape as I've steadily learned its features over the past several years to become a somewhat dangerous novice graphic designer. Its icon buttons for various functionality makes for an easy learning curve. If you take 5 minutes out of your day to learn one new feature each week, you'll toss your Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop license out the window in a couple months' time.

Cons

In an Apple OS, you are required to download a secondary software connector to use this.

Richard D.
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

Why I use Inkscape and love it

Reviewed on 1/1/2019

I use inkscape to create posters for my business, recently I used it to create a calander and landscape plans for my property

Pros

I'm always learning new things and Inkscape is one of them.
I've found Inkscape easy to use and easy to learn
There is a lot of online support teaching you how to use Inkscape
It cost nothing to acquire (Its free)
I use inkscape a lot in my business to design and create "very professional" looking projects, etc
It doesn't stress or slow down my 4 GB, Win 8.1 , 1.8 Ghz Celeron computer

Cons

I cant say that there is anything I don't like about Inkscape.
I've heard it has some limitations however I haven't experienced any for what I have been doing

Its Free Adobe photoshop

Reviewed on 23/5/2019

As someone who is not a designer, I often need imaging editing software to do mockups and prototypes. this solves my problem without the need of a licence

Pros

really comprehensive Imaging editing software. Has most of the features of all the market leaders, and its for free.

Cons

There is a learning curve involved as with any Image editing software, but if you are familiar with photoshop, you should be able to navigate the software successfully

• Used Monthly for 1+ year

An alternative to Adobe Illustrator that is FREE!

Reviewed on 4/8/2019

I really like that there is a free alternative to Illustrator. I just cannot see spending that amount of money currently. I still create beautiful vector images with Inkscape. Well worth giving this a try because it doesn't cost anything. Very similar to Illustrator as far as tool options.

Pros

I love the ease of use.
It doesn't cost.
Love that I can create vector art.

Cons

Some times the pen tool is hard to use.

• Industry: Outsourcing/Offshoring

Free and wide range of capabilities

Reviewed on 17/10/2018

Pros

One of the best things about this software is it is free, so you won't have to worry about getting the premium version. Also, it is very easy to learn with the interface provided, so you'll get more editing done.

Cons

If there's one thing I would suggest to improve, it is the wide variety of the tools to achieve more editing goals, otherwise, this is great for many editing projects already!

Tyler W.
  • Industry: Mining & Metals

Easy to use product

Reviewed on 16/10/2021

Pros

I have been using inkscape for 4 or years now, very sweet program to turn jpeg into dxf.. Saves tons of time. also free software very impressed

Cons

in the time i have spent with it i hav not found a con

Chris B.
  • Industry: Music

If it's what you got, it'll work just fine

Reviewed on 10/8/2021

Used Inkscape on computers we had that could not or did not run Adobe Illustrator. It works well and does the job, and for the price is very reasonable value. It's not my top pick for GD work, but when it's what you have, it works just fine.

Pros

Successfully replicated many of the vector and image based functions of Adobe illustrator at a very reasonable cost.

Cons

Unlike Adobe Illustrator, I found the User Interface for Inkscape to be less intuitive and also generally less appealing to look at and work in.

Nawfal B.
  • Industry: Computer Games

Free and complete

Reviewed on 17/4/2019

Pros

A free and open-source vector graphics editor, the quality of the drawing is amazing.

Cons

The interface needs an upgrade, but for a free software, it's enough.

Inkscape Review

Reviewed on 6/4/2019

Overall i will highly recommend to the designers who want to prepare a professional design.

Pros

1. UI is very much user firendly.
2. There are a lot of cool effects available .
3. free and open source vector graphics editor .

Cons

1. some tools are not available.
2. some useful file formats are not included.

• Industry: Computer Networking

Great freeware

Reviewed on 8/9/2020

Inkscape is a great solution if you need something free to edit graphics. I think it's the best solution for affordability.

Pros

Inkscape is probably the best freeware design program in my estimation. It works great for SVG processing and simple vector editing and design. It is feature-rich and fairly easy to use.

Cons

It doesn't have all the bells and whistles or other design programs, and there is a bit of a learning curve in using it. Can at times be a little buggy on my computer.

Christopher A.
  • Used for 1-5 months

Inkscape Review

Reviewed on 10/7/2021

My overall experience with Inkscape are good and very productive

Pros

The Inkscape has pros like you can use instead like softwares with more weight in the installation you can use it like an alternative

Cons

This software has cons like don't receive some kind of formats of designs or sort of kinds of vectors