This is a Required App for Those who Travel or are Accountable for their Business Expenses

Reviewed on 7/4/2021

I was first introduced to this software while working for another company. We were expected to use it for all of our expenses and submit our reports with it each month. It made this process so simple and frankly, I would have lost track of my expenses if I hadn't had it. I loved it so much I continued to use it when I started my own business. It makes accounting for your expenses extremely easy.

Pros

It's super easy to track your receipts during travel or at anytime really. You just scan your receipt with your smartphone, enter the amount, choose the account or category and you're good to go.

Cons

There isn't anything bad to say about this software. It works great and saves so much time and frustration because you are tracking everything as you go, while you are thinking about it.

Shoaib S.
  • Used Other for 6-12 months

Snap...... and its done.

Reviewed on 18/6/2019

From all the other products i tried, this is by far the best and easiest to use.

Pros

The best feature is the smartscan feature. Once you set up the currency, it segregates everything accordingly and saves you the trouble of manually entering it. Even if you have no internet connection, it saves the request and once u go online it will analyze the scan and store it for you.The reports generated are also very well detailed.

Cons

I had a technical error, maybe it was my mistake, because it didnt happen to any of my other collegues where the expense trip report closed automatically. But that is easily solved by logging on the web version and activiating it again.

• Industry: Wireless

Easy way for corporate expense tracking and reporting

Reviewed on 12/4/2021

Expense reporting is easy with Expensify. But it is just that - expense reporting.

Pros

An easy way for corporate expense tracking and reporting. UI is very simple and intuitive. You can do it on the go which is convenient.
I really appreciate how smooth and easy it is to update, upload, claim your expenses. Especially comapred to some large systems like SAP.

Cons

Some features are still missing, the automatic sync between credit card and Expensify could work better. You still have to do a lot manually.

Isaac K.
  • Industry: Executive Office

Great Expense Report Software for Small Enterprise

Reviewed on 1/2/2017

I used this software extensively in a previous position, both as administrator and user. For a small organization, this is an excellent expense reporting software product which will easily allow you to go 100% paperless. All receipts are uploaded digitally and you can take photos of receipts on your phone and upload them onto the app (which is a great app). Once submitted, the routing is very nice and you can track the progress and make modifications if it is kicked back to you. The implementation was very smooth and we were able to incorporate everything we needed, including our chart of accounts, into this product. All of our employees loved it and it is especially useful for organizations who either have a lot of people traveling or who have employees in geographically dispersed locations. We had employees living in very remote parts of the world and they were able to capture all of their expenses and submit reports from anywhere as long as they had an internet connection. The product integrates very well with all of the major credit cards so no issue there. I don't think this product will integrate with your accounting package but I don't think you would expect that from a product of this nature or price range. Expensify is hosted on the cloud so no worries about installation and the implementation process went very smoothly for us. Their customer service wasn't spectacular but this product type and cost is such that someone in house should be able to manage everything and you wouldn't likely need to contact them for anything. The product is priced on a PUPM basis and the rate is very reasonable. I highly recommend this product to any company that doesn't already have an expense reporting feature as part of some larger ERM product. You will not be disappointed!!

Pros

Ease of use and implementation, low monthly cost which can be scaled as you add or remove users, completely paperless system and ability to take photos on your phone and upload them to the app, and ease of routing and tracking.

Cons

You will not get a lot of customer support and it doesn't integrate well into other applications. I don't think you would expect this of a product at this price though.

Response from Expensify

Thank you for the thorough review, Isaac! Apologies to hear our support is not as fast as you'd like, this is something we're heavily investing our resources on and you should see faster response times soon!

In terms of integration, please let us know at [email protected] if you're looking for something in particular. For a full list of our current integrations (including QBO, QBD, Xero, etc), check out https://use.expensify.com/all-integrations/.

Have a great day, and thank you again for leaving us a kind review! We're so glad we're making expenses easier for you and your team!

Serguei B.

Convenient Expense Reimbursement Software

Reviewed on 28/1/2021

Overall great employee expense reimbursement system for small/midsize business. Easy to use and implement. Would definitely recommend!

Pros

I love using Expensify to reimburse our employees. It is super easy for employees to create expense reports. Expensify also has approval workflows which allows employees to submit their expense reports to their managers for review first before submitting to finance for reimbursement. Expensify is also integrated with our accounting system which allows me to sync expense reports without having to manually enter expenses again. The payout process is also super simple and can be done directly through Expensify by connecting your company's bank account.

Cons

I wish reporting was done easier in Expensify. Creating a report could be tricky (Expensify requires you to use formulas) but overall it is manageable if you learn a few tricks.

• Industry: Events Services

Worst customer service

Reviewed on 15/11/2019

the software when working is great but the customer service is the worst I have ever worked with in the world and they don't care about paying clients

Pros

easy to track expense
connects with stripe to invoice
easy to mark paid

Cons

when a problem happens customer service does not exist
problems can last over 1 month
no credit for the system not working
they want customers to fix issues that are their problem
no managers in the company

Richard S.

Expensify is good for business, but bad for personal use

Reviewed on 16/12/2019

My overall experience with Expensify was mind-numbing, but I think that was due to the nature of my job. The actual site and program was not bad, but again, it's tedious for anything other than business purposes.

Pros

What I liked most about this software, Expensify, is that it allowed for bulk imports and would often suggest categories for certain items once you upload enough receipts and it could find a pattern. In my position as General Manager, I had access to a company card and Expensify is how we kept track of everything before exporting it to our company's accountant.

Cons

What I liked least about this software, Expensify, is that it often flagged certain receipts for being duplicates or for being incorrect despite that not being the case. Unfortunately, this prevented you from saving the files correctly until the "disputes" were corrected. For a business, this can make sense or be rectified as the totals are all that really matter, but for personal use, keeping track of tiny margins and trends becomes a lot more important and needs to be protected.

Peter K.
  • Industry: Religious Institutions

Superb cloud expense reporting

Reviewed on 22/4/2020

Pros

Expensify has made everything regarding expense reporting easier. Snap photos of receipts. Auto scan them for information. Connect credit card or bank accounts to automatically draw data for expense reports. Submit to multiple approvers. Get immediate responses. And Expensify continues to develop and support the product very well. We have recommended Expensify to many other organizations like ours.

Cons

Sometimes the connections to financial accounts break. And I'm notified of the fact. I have to notice it myself and wish there were an automated notification.

Elizabeth B.
  • Industry: Religious Institutions

I've used Expensify as an administrator and user and have benefitted greatly in both aspects!

Reviewed on 10/1/2018

Pros

I find that as a user, the interface is very user friendly and easy to use. I can simply upload receipts and add comments to my expenses. I find it is also easy as an administrator to reject expenses and add comments as to why they were rejected. So easy to use!

Cons

The only thing that is hard is that a report won't allow me to add an expense to it in the app. The expense needs to be added first before it can be added to the report, which is hard. Also, it would be nice to make expenses for distance in the app. Perhaps I am able but just don't know how. If so, it could be helpful to make this feature easier to use.

Response from Expensify

Hi Elizabeth, thank you for your kind review! We are so happy that we are helping making your job easier, both as an admin and an end user :)

In regards to distance expenses, you can definitely create this via mobile if you click the (+) button located in the top right corner of the mobile app on the Expenses or Inbox tab.

To add an expense to a report on the app, simply click into a report and you should be directed to a window with a (+) button in the top right corner. Click that to add a new expense to the report.

Hope this helps, thanks again for using Expensify!

Kiana B.
  • Industry: Nonprofit Organisation Management

Expense reports made easy!

Reviewed on 7/9/2018

I'm not kidding when I say I recommend this product to EVERYONE! When I give people nonprofit management advice this is at the top of my list. Great experience with this product and fast and effective customer service!

Pros

This software is extremely user friendly and makes expense reports a breeze, no more saving receipts on long trips or doing paperwork. I love that it syncs with your card/bank and automatically brings in the expenses and gets smarter as you set categories so the longer you use it the easier expense reports become. I've only used the expense reports side of things so I can't speak to the other services they offer. But 10 out of 10 would recommend this product, also VERY affordable and you can have on your computer, tablet & phone makingit so easy to use!

Cons

There are times my card/bank becomes unsynced. And it may only be a week at a time. This has happened a handful of times to me in the past 4+ years so not a deal breaker but just something to be aware of. The customer service is always yuck to fix whatever issue though :)

Daniella R.
  • Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

Expense Tracking Made Easy

Reviewed on 20/4/2019

Expensify has made tracking expenses easier than ever. It saves me time and stress, and I know no money is being left on the table.

Pros

Expense tracking is typically a grueling experience. Everything from keeping track of expenses, to avoiding mistakes when reporting them is a headache. Expensify is the only thing I've used which actually makes the expense process enjoyable. The GPS mileage capture and automated reimbursement features are amazing, and everything else about the platform makes tracking expenses easier than ever before. Fixing the expense process is no small feat, but Expensify has made it extremely intuitive and pleasant.

Cons

The interface can take a little while to get used to, but once you get the hang of it it's actually quite simple.

• Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

Upload receipts and easily generate expense reports

Reviewed on 8/9/2018

Simple expense reporting software with automatic tagging OCR for receipts

Pros

My favourite feature is by far the receipt scanning ability. Whenever I travel abroad for business, I come home with a handful of receipts as I don't have a corporate credit card (I do not travel frequently enough). Taking photos of all of my receipts and dragging them into expensify saves me a tonne of time. I've also heard from colleagues that there are features to integrate with taxi/uber apps so that business travel is automatically raised as an expense but I have yet to try that out. Basically, the more automated the process of putting in expense reports can be made, the better! I rarely use the mobile app to put expenses in, just by virtue of the fact that I usually just email all the photos to myself to do back in the office, however I do like knowing when expenses have been paid or to check up on their progress from mobile.

Cons

I find the the IA of the app confusing. I use the software only every month or so, and I am always confused by the fact that there are expenses, and then there are reports... so sometimes it takes me a while to realise where to go to submit my expenses. When not in the context of a business trip, I often have adhoc expenses for things, and so it feels weird not to be able to submit these without generating a report to put them in. Perhaps it is a business process feature, but it is definitely a stumbling block for me every time.

Easy expense reporting tool

Reviewed on 22/5/2019

My company uses Expensify for expense reporting and tracking. Very easy and efficient tool.

Pros

I use Expensify to report my expenses related to work travel. I have the app on my phone and it’s really easy to add expenses as they are incurred, rather than doing in bulk later. I can take a picture of the receipt on my phone and either use OCR to scan and populate fields or manually enter and save photo to expensive for additional verification/approval. I can easily see any expenses that might fall outside of policy limits, so I can submit additional justification to get it approved, rather than having to go back and forth. I also get automatic updates once my expense reports are approved and again when they are funded.

Cons

Very few cons because it’s easy to use. However, OCR can be slow at times, so I often manually enter the fields which is fine for me. Additionally, when you create a new report from the app, it isn’t super intuitive for where to change report comments and details. I have submitted reports thinking it was all updated by name, only to discover the comments were wrong and pulling from previous report. Just requires a bit of searching to update these sections in the app before submitting.

Joe C.
  • Industry: Management Consulting

Long time user

Reviewed on 11/11/2020

Overall, I would steer clear of this platform now there are better, cheaper alternatives. They do not hold up their end of the agreement and also have an archaic pricing model.

Pros

Up until they violated the terms and conditions, the platform was useful and filled our need to reduce/eliminate excel sheets for expense tracking

Cons

There are four things about this software that any potential purchaser should know:
1. Privacy doesn't matter to them. They violate their own privacy policy by sending out non-product related information to their customer base. This violates the agreement that they make you sign.
2. It is expensive. Unless you use the credit card, they charge you a lot. They also sent credit card applications to my entire company without my knowledge.
3. No useful customer service. Their customer service is almost non-existent. You cannot call them. You cannot email them. You are forced to use their concierge function that is essentially useless.
4. It takes 3 -5 days to receive reimbursements after approval.

Josue H.

Really good software to keep track of expenses.

Reviewed on 26/7/2018

This software helps me keep track of the daily expenses and it helps me import the date to quickbooks really quick and I can keep in order all my accounts

Pros

This software is one the most important tools on my daily used to keep track of expenses and to import the data to quickbooks for more efficient way to have all our accounts in order

Cons

No issues at all the software works well and it helps us as its advertise. and we cannot spend a day without it.

Steve C.

An Easy Way to Track Your Expenses

Reviewed on 28/11/2018

Overall, the experience is pretty good. I was using something else and that stopped being developed, so now I use this and I will likely not be switching because I didn't find anything better in the "freemium" realm of products that do this.

Pros

Expenses come in and need to be accounted for. You need a quick and easy way to get them out of your inbox, wallet, credit card statement, etc. and onto a cloud platform. So, in short, Expensify does what it's purports to do: it tracks expenses. There are also a lot of other features that I don't use, so it likely can be as robust as you want it to be. I use my account very simply. It's nice, too, to be able to track mileage.

Cons

I think there are too many clicks required to get to the entering. It's easy enough and quick enough, but it could be easier and quicker. I would like there to be a more simplified interface for people that don't need to use all the bells and whistles.

N. jordan L.
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

No more wasting time filling out expense reports

Reviewed on 8/8/2018

Pros

Able to add expenses on the spot just by taking a picture of the receipt on your phone, or forwarding an email receipt. Also the ability to add mileage daily.

Cons

The smartscan function is not always correct or intuitive. Double check totals and names of businesses against receipt. Also the smartscan function can lag.

• Used Other for 1+ year

Expensify -expense report tracker

Reviewed on 24/11/2020

I would recommend expenisfy especially for business use and history of your expense record to be able to access your history quickly and conveniently.

Pros

This is an expense tracker. I use this to track expenses by taking a picture of my receipt's whether it is for groceries, gas, business purposes. This keeps everything organaized by date and keeps the pictures of the receipts for a detailed history.

Cons

Nothing specifically I have experienced with Expensify thus far. I have even have contacted customer service and they have replied back professionally and quick it didn't even take a full 24 hours to respond and I am not too familiar why I even had to contact there support but it was something not too important to address either way the issue was fixed and their customer service was fast and reliable while providing professional customer service and care.

Aleksandr S.
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

Not a single moment of discomfort for a very long time.

Reviewed on 2/4/2021

My company asked me to try on my business trips, and to my surprise it took a weight from my shoulders. Trust me, there is a HUGE difference between reporting bills right here and now, and filling report after the trip. It is easy to forget what was this particular bill, whether you already reported it, and what if you just lost some bills? Never ever. I still tend to keep the bills until expenses are approved though and can't stop thinking may be I should stop.

Many thanks to developers for making such a great product.

Pros

Most important thing: you got billed - you report it with app. This simple, right here and now you make a photo, and you are done!
It picks the currency, expense right from the photo of the bill. Can't take a photo - no problem, expense may be filled manually. It doesn't seem to affect the mobile phone battery, it doesn't nag you with popups or unwanted ads (I can't express how much I hate it when paid application starts to throw additional promotions).
The structure of application is easily understandable.

Cons

Can't point my finger on anything worth mentioning. May be, just may be the bill recognition could take a little less time. I had a case when it took about two days. Still it is quite good.

Andy R.

Expense Reports that Don't stink

Reviewed on 14/12/2017

Expense reporting has historically been a major pain point for employees. Several have commented that expense reporting can sometimes take an entire morning or afternoon to complete. Expensify, more than any other benefit, saves our employees valuable time. Whether adding receipt images, uploading files, or adding new expenses, Expensify takes the pain out of expense reporting. And that's not an easy thing to do!

Pros

Expensify's tagline, 'Expense Reports that Don't stink' tells you everything you need to know! I've used a variety of expense reporting system and Expensify is by far the best. With a phenomenal mobile app and simple integration options to link credit cards, Expensify actually makes creating and modifying expense reports a snap. And, with a super modern, responsively designed interface, it's easy for anyone to create new reports, add new expenses, and view and print existing reports.

Cons

It would be nice if there was an ability to see additional reporting regarding spending habits or the ability to see reports based on expense types, such as travel or food and beverage.

Clay J.
  • Industry: Airlines/Aviation

Expensify increasing cost!

Reviewed on 2/1/2021

Pricing with no explanation!

Pros

I like the functionality and availability of the app.

Cons

The price has steadily gone up each month. I have tried to get an answer why and cannot talk to a live person of get a clear pricing schedule.

• Industry: Computer & Network Security

Good for small and growing companies.

Reviewed on 30/1/2018

Pros

The software is easy to use and implement. Once employees get use to using the platform, the process pretty much runs on its own. For the service provided, the cost is reasonable.

Cons

While the product is constantly being updated, it seems like recent changes have slowed down the platform's performance.

Adam M.
  • Industry: Accounting
  • Company size: 5,001-10,000 Employees

Needlessly complicated

Reviewed on 9/9/2020

I guess it's better than doing expense reports in Excel or by hand, but it's such a complex piece of software that it seems more like a solution looking for a problem than a solution to a problem. Maybe it would add more value in a larger organization with lots of expense reports (I use it with a client that requires 1-2 expense reports per month).

Pros

The software allows for online creation and approval of expense reports and credit card expense tracking. Expensify is an improvement over doing these tasks manually.

Cons

The interface is needlessly complicated and it's difficult to learn how to use and troubleshoot problems. There's this AI "concierge" built in to Expensify that I have found more often annoying than helpful. The credit card feeds break down sometimes, either not capturing expenses or applying the wrong dates to expenses, which fouls up the feed between Expensify and the GL software. There is a feature called "copilot mode" that allows users to access each other's accounts, which I still find confusing. It looks like Expensify is trying to make this a nice-looking interface with a good user experience, but they're just kind of missing the mark in my opinion.

Brandon T.

Use this as company reimbursement tool

Reviewed on 25/6/2018

Pros

Very clean interface and convenient to submit expenses. Good manager employee structure and review policy.

Cons

Hard to download reports to analyze expenses at end of month. Sometimes difficult pulling reports into quickbooks.

Elena P.
  • Industry: Civic & Social Organization

Expensify: a great way to get expense reporting under control!

Reviewed on 28/11/2018

Expensify has made it so easy to submit and process expenses-- no more stapling receipts to forms, no more worrying about losing things. I can approve expenses for employees easily, or reject expenses with specific comments on what needs to be corrected.

Pros

Expensify is incredibly easy to use, makes it simple to collect and submit expenses and very easy to approve them as well. You can categorize expenses, set limits for certain types of expenses, and because everything is electronic it is much easier to review and process. It's very intuitive, and the computer and app interfaces are both very easy to use.

Cons

Sometimes there's a delay when you scan a receipt before it shows up, and every once in a while a scanned receipt has to be manually corrected