Paymo

Task Management, Time Tracking, and Accounting for SMBs

4.7 /5 (401 reviews) Write a Review!
4.7
4.6
4.5
4.6
4.7
Jelena J.

My time and sanity saver!

Reviewed on 1/7/2020

I've increased my productivity with Paymo's Kanban board view, combined with Table view, and saved TONS of hours on admin, invoicing, timesheets, client and project management.

Just this time saving alone pays off the monthly subscription.

Sanity and nerves saving is the bonus! :)

Why? Because Paymo helped me maintain good client relationships, timesheet transparency and great records&data representation for a client. So when a client comes up with a random question about a specific task, Paymo's records make finding (and presenting) a specific information or record so much easier, transparent and more reliable.

Pros

Paymo has been a lifesaver in many business management areas: project management, client management, time tracking, accounting.

With built-in budgeting, time tracking, expense tracking, estimate calculations, professional invoicing and getting paid online (and on time!), different project 'views' (list, table, board for kanban, gantt), extensive filters, dashboard and insights, resource scheduling, live time reports, client portal - and all that in one app - it's a sanity saver!

One of the things I also personally quite appreciate is the professional and clean look of the invoices (and how easy it is for clients to pay them online). With a click of a button, you can add the unbilled time/fees for a specific time period and/or projects to an invoice. Paymo does all that heavy admin stuff for you and it has saved me a lot of time!

Cherry on the top: all invoice items are presented so neatly and professionally, so that my clients can see exactly everything I've worked on for them and what I'm billing them for, as well as how much time is tracked for each project and task.

And Payoneer, in addition to PayPal/Stripe/Authorize.Net payment gateways is a big plus!

It's brilliant.

The moment I first tried it, I could immediately feel that Paymo is the tool designed for actual freelancers in mind, whether you work on a project basis, or a pay-as-you-go basis.

It's not complex, and all the features it has are just *right*. Exactly what I need.

And it's getting even better!

Cons

I wish the app was just a little bit faster, but I read somewhere that they already have this improvement on their roadmap.

Still, if you ask me, it's totally worth the wait for every new feature and improvement their team is cooking for us :)

Response from Paymo

Speed improvements are already something that we're addressing. Stay tuned for more goodies such as a task calendar view, improved mobile app with team collaboration features and guest access.

Cheers,

Sofia T.
  • Industry: Telecommunications

Can't live without Paymo

Reviewed on 16/6/2020

When I started freelancing in 2018 I lost weeks looking and testing all sorts of software I could find to help me organize my projects and clients, rates, deadlines, tasks, and invoicing.

I tested more than a dozen and Paymo had it all.

Some minor adjustments to fit some of my projects, but with Paymo I have a software that tracks my work on a daily basis, I can easily understand my workload and plan in advance, I can share work reports with my clients and easily invoice them, I can have as many clients, projects and tasks I want and all I can say is that I couldn't live without it anymore.

Having the possibility to track my time on each task helps me understand how much should I charge for future similar projects which is pretty awesome.

The only thing that Paymo doesn't do for me is bringing me coffee :D
It's very simple to use and I can link time with tasks by having predefined rules or quickly selecting them. Adding whatever needed and setting up deadlines, priorities and status is really quick and intuitive. One of the most complete software I've used and where I can customize as I want to without needing a master degree to have things working like I want :)

Great and nice team too that always provided quick support and feedback whenever needed, which is equally important.

Love it. Great work guys

Pros

For me, PaymoPlus TimeTracking software is the best feature that Paymo offers. Easy to set up, don't miss any working time and gives me the chance to understand the tasks where I spend most of the time. The time reports are great to understand what is more time consuming from my daily tasks and the fact that I can have several projects and clients makes it so easy to work with.

The fact that I can use an automated software to track my tasks made me safe a lot of time.

With other similar time tracking apps I tested, I always needed to trigger it manually or take a lot of steps. With PaymoPlus, just start recording it and nothing is missed. It captures all your activity

Cons

There's nothing I like the least, but maybe it would be nice to have more dynamic ways of adding rates or billing options.
As a freelancer, I often work at a specific rate per word (for example translations and proofreading), or rate per article, so it would be helpful to have such options of adding different rate settings.

Response from Paymo

Thank you Sofia for your kind feedback :)

You can in fact add flat rate tasks, that have an independent value from the task hourly budget. This would work for articles (unfortunately don't have a solution for words now, it's a bit too granular). Did you try them out?

You can also write us at [email protected] so we can further guide you :)

Taylor H.

Paymo is the Best Task-Managing Platform I've Used

Reviewed on 16/6/2020

Overall Paymo is the best task managing platform I've used. It's clean, simple and user friendly. I would definitely recommend Paymo to other companies.

Pros

I like the flexibility of Paymo. Things are tailored to each day because it makes planning out large projects easier. It also allows for more productivity because we can see what needs to get done for each client right on the main screen. Paymo is also clean and pleasing to look at.

Cons

Something I would like to see improved is the "Progress" settings. As a design/web development company, we have a lot of projects that need to get approved by multiple people so we constantly have dozens of tasks pending/stuck. If there could be a section made specifically for stuck/pending/follow up tasks just to make our Home page less cluttered that would be helpful.

Response from Paymo

Thank you, Taylor!

I think there's a fix to your problem: project status. You can customize them as you wish to better reflect your process: https://help.paymoapp.com/en/articles/977872-how-to-use-project-statuses

Then filter after them for a top-level view of what you're interested:https://help.paymoapp.com/en/articles/888757-how-do-i-filter-projects-by-status

Did you try them out? We can hear each other at [email protected] :)

Mitch M.
  • Industry: Design

Best in the Biz (I think)

Reviewed on 31/10/2019

Pros

What do I like best - the value. When searching for a solution Paymo offered the most for the least and has been continuously working to improve the APP. I work remotely and have been using Paymo to track clients and send time reports to my office for billing a few years now and it has worked flawlessly. The time tracker is great, the time reports are great. There is, I am sure, a tonne of functionality that I haven't even tapped into but it does everything I need very quickly and cleanly. Navigating is a breeze, editing is a breeze, and exporting reports is a breeze.

Cons

My least favorite thing is that every time Paymo refreshes I have to set up all of my preferences again. I have to switch the view, add in a filter to see the projects the way I want, adjust the Time Report forms back the way I had them set up yesterday. Just switching the view from List to Table should be something I should be able to lock-in as a default view.

Response from Paymo

Good news, Mitch: time reports will be upgraded and support a more used friendly interface.

About the preference issue, can you please write it down on our community forum so it gets more traction from the community?

Thank you!

David R.
  • Industry: Design

The best I've found for the my industry

Reviewed on 3/5/2020

Excellent - great value for money, scalable if I need more users, and really easy to use.

Pros

I've found that the user interface and features available in Paymo out perform other software available.

Cons

I did like that you can create online signed contracts on Bonsai - this was great for the design industry as I tend to have ongoing contracts with clients.

Response from Paymo

Thank you, David!

Do you mind upvoting this feature suggestion about contracts on our community forum: https://community.paymoapp.com/t/client-e-sign-contracts-and-agreements/221

Usually, the most upvoted ones get built.

Catalina S.

Time Saver and Easy to Use

Reviewed on 16/6/2020

I use it daily to create estimates & invoices in two languages and formats. Following-up on projects so I never miss a deadline. Following-up on payments, I am a one-man show and accounting can be time-consuming. But with Paymo I get everything in one place.

Pros

I have been using Paymo for years now. After long research this was the best app I found to my needs. Easy to implement and to use. I can add as many projects as I want, tasks, view these in different formats, and never undercharge again thanks to the awesome time tracker. I can add invoices and input payment dates, even when payment has been made in different installments. I can have recurring payments, create estimates, and convert these to invoices. And the price is ideal.

Cons

Nothing. I love the software. I would love to see a CRM implementation since these guys know how to build amazing software.

Response from Paymo

Happy to be a match for your needs, Catalina :)

No intentions to build a CRM atm. What you could do is to customize your own sales/pipeline workflow, then view tasks via the Meta Kanban Board.

If you want to see the progression of a project through a pipeline, then I recommend project statuses.

Feel free to post this suggestion on our community forum so it gets more traction: https://community.paymoapp.com/

Thank you!

Brian W.

A Game Changer

Reviewed on 16/6/2020

Timekeeping. We’re able to look back at past projects to see the real time we invested in them to help make our new estimates as realistic as possible.

Pros

Paymo allows us to track time easily and provide monthly reports to clients, as well as include PayPal functionality for invoices. The Paymo team is quick to communicate when we have issues or feedback. Other similar products have tried to sell themselves to us but we tell them we’re 100% happy with Paymo.

Cons

The only improvement right now I’d like would be to convert monthly time reports into invoices for our clients who we invoice monthly for our hours.

Response from Paymo

Appreciate you, Brian, for being loyal!! I know how crowded the productivity market is today, so this speaks a lot.

What you're telling me leans more towards a monthly retainer functionality - correct me if I'm wrong.

Please write/upvote this suggestion on our community forum along with the use case so we get more insight into the problem. And others, who share the same need, can upvote it too.

Marcel

A compact project management system.

Reviewed on 28/11/2019

For a mid, small or solo user paymo is just enough to manage any kind of project. The free plan is enough and offers enough features to start and then upgrade if needed.

Pros

Paymo is a very compact project management system. I have used a lot of project and task management for my work and paymo is my new favorite. I like the UI its similar to me like all other project management services.
Paymo is a cloud-based service that means I can now use it with just my netbook and all my data is safe in their server. Cloud data is safer than my pc and secure too.
The task manager is a very simple and nested task is also a very attractive feature for me.
To manage projects one man is enough, this helps me to save a lot of time and money.
The free plan offers a very generous offering.

Cons

The dashboard is too crowded. I don't like to see so much info on my desktop. I prefer the tabbed style revels.

Response from Paymo

Thank you for the kind words!

May I ask what details would you like to show up on your dashboard?

You can also write your use case on this thread from our community forum about customizable dashboards: https://community.paymoapp.com/t/customisable-panels-in-the-dashboard/186

Luis daniel R.

Ideal tool for project management from small companies to big ones

Reviewed on 12/9/2018

I'm solving the business problems of:
- having all the project planning and content in one single place
- tracking the time

Pros

I like the user interface, is very clean and friendly. it takes less than 5 minutes to understand how everything works which is a great advantage to train other people to use this tool. I love how you can organize all the tasks, content and planning for each project. I've been using this software for about 5 years now and will definetely recommend it to others.

Cons

I don't like that they still don't have an easy to use mobile app that shows all the content of a project. the mobile app is very limited. I hope that they can improve and give the mobile development a higher priority since we live in a mobile world these days.

There's no way to capture screenshots of what other employees are doing or measuring the productivity

Csaba M.
  • Industry: Design

Lightweight and easy-to-use time management app

Reviewed on 17/6/2020

I'm using Paymo mostly for time tracking, but it is also great to have reports ranging back for years and I love to have all the statistics easily accessible.

Paymo has become an invaluable part of my daily business life.

Pros

I love the ease of use when it comes to time tracking. I usually jump between projects and the app makes it really easy to switch between jobs. The 5-min idle time reminder is great as well.

Cons

At first there were too few options for project statuses, but as the software evolved, this feature was added. At this point I don't really have any issues with the software.

Response from Paymo

Koeszi Csaba, for the review!

You can in fact customize the idle time detection to be however long you want :)

Btw, we've just launched a new feature that lets you copy/paste time entries under timesheets, check it out!

Matt W.
  • Industry: Computer Games

An easy to use and intuitive PM platform

Reviewed on 18/6/2020

Wonderful! I can't speak highly enough about the platform and would recommend any company especially in the creative industry to have a look at them and give it a try.

Pros

Paymo is intuitive and designed in a way that fosters easy adoption. Some PM software that I have used is very intimidating and Paymo has made adoption very easy at our office.

Cons

There were a few features that I yearned for early on but the Paymo team listens to its users and they have grown a ton over the last 4 years that we have been with them. Be vocal about what you need and if it is a shared concern across the users it will be addressed! If it is a little more niche then you typically need a different system to handle it.

Response from Paymo

Thank you for the feedback, Matt, happy to know that the interface is easy to adopt :)

Gerrit V.

Paymo has a cool widget

Reviewed on 17/5/2017

Time tracking is a matter of discipline. Paymo is easy enough to use on a daily base, I had little to no trouble on adapting to the habit.

Pros

The Paymo setup is quite easy and transparent. In order to customize it for our needs, I found out that I could perhaps manipulate the hierarchy of clients / projects / task lists / tasks. Before doing so, I checked with their Support desk (live chat!) to make sure I wouldn't run into problems later on.
So now, we have a structure that fits our needs pretty well.

The application allows for many views (tables!) and reports.

Cons

For managing a team, it would be nice to have options to save filters, so that you can quickly jump from one view to another.

Some views are a bit too bland, making me feel a little lost on where to go.

Anne-marie R.

Excellent Project Management Software!

Reviewed on 9/3/2016

I have been using Paymo for about a year now and it has changed my productivity for the better. As a Freelance PA/Project Manager I work for different companies so it is imperative that I can track my time spent on different projects and tasks. Paymo does this easily and with no fuss.

Paymo is easy to set up and use. The free trial is perfect for trying out Paymo. I did just that initially and was so impressed that I had to continue with the paid version of Paymo.

Once Paymo had been set up and customised I could just log onto Paymo each day and easily track time. It is easy to switch between projects too. Paymo has an overview of hours worked, unbilled amounts, milestones, discussions etc so easy to see at a glance progress per project.

At the end of each month I use Paymo to easily invoice my clients. Just one click of a button to invoice unbilled time, check the invoice and send by email! Easy. Paymo then keeps a list of invoices sent out which can be updated to show status. The invoice itself looks very professional and I easily added a company logo. There are custom settings to save the text to be used when sending out invoices.

Customer Service is impeccable, on the few occasions I have needed to ask a question I have had fast, helpful responses and have always been dealt with very professionally and quickly.

I highly recommend using this project management software, it is time saving, quick, easy and can do an awful lot to assist with the admin side of running a business. I wouldn't be without it! Thank you Paymo!

Pros

Initial free trial.
Easy to set up and use.
Easy to customise.
Easy to track time.
Easy to invoice clients.
Reporting option available.
Excellent customer service, fast to respond and very helpful.

Cons

I can't think of anything.

Juan pablo C.
  • Industry: Law Practice

Paymo is an invaluable tool for Law Firms.

Reviewed on 24/5/2018

Pros

It allows our clients to know the time we dedicate to each of their cases.
Clients can review the expenses generated by their affairs.
The Law Firm knows how much time we dedicate to the affairs of each of our clients, and allows us to detect how complicated or simple an issue is.
We can assign new lawyers to each case in a simple and intuitive way.
The reports are easy to read and of great quality for our clients.
Its mobile tools are simple to use.
The software for the computer is simple and intuitive.
It has plans and prices that are adapted for each work team.

Cons

Some sections are not translated completely into Spanish, as is the case of Team Scheduling, but this has met all our expectations.

Response from Paymo

Hi Juan Pablo,

We're currently working on improving the translations and we're rewarding users that help. For more details, please get in touch with us by using the in app help button.

Haley S.
  • Industry: Design

Paymo Review--difficult to learn, but once you do, beneficial.

Reviewed on 15/11/2018

Overall, I think it's going to be very beneficial for our company. I'm still getting used to all the features and navigating what will work best for our unique situation, but all the diverse functionalities of Paymo make me believe that whatever we want the software to do, we can make it happen.

Pros

Time tracking and comments. The time tracking makes payroll and time management much easier and the comments section make it to where communication can be very much like social media in the threads and everything is contained within the project. It makes it easier to stay organized. The customer service is also incredible. Very helpful and VERY fast which helped me learn the software quicker. I was also very thankful for the video tutorials on the website.

Cons

The learning curve. There are many many customizable functions which is great but having never used it before, it was difficult to navigate all the options. It might be best to have a short questionnaire right when you purchase the program that asks what you are going to use it for...maybe rating a few things in order of importance, size of business, what you do, etc. and there can be a default setup that lets you customize as you go without having to make so many decisions up front? But I know each business is so different. Which makes this software great for almost any company. Just a little overwhelming at first.

Popa I.
  • Industry: Law Practice

I've been using Paymo for 1 year now. It is of great help - easy to use and very friendly...

Reviewed on 30/6/2018

Fantastic added-value to my business.

Pros

It is one of the most friendly timekeeping software I've ever used. Although I do not use all its functions (e.g. accounting), it has proven to be a "must-have" for my professional activity. I really appreciate customer support - all queries addressed over time have received prompt and useful response. The price is competitive and the budget options provided are highly appreciated. I warmly recommend the software.

I also love the option to fill-in time both bulk (e.g., 2 hours) and by hours (12:00 - 14:00). My clients really appreciate this kind of transparecy.

Cons

It would also be of great help if time reports could be exported in Word format (editable). This is not necessary a "con", but an improvement suggestion.

Denise S.

Can't imagine running my own business without it

Reviewed on 23/3/2018

Pros

I absolutely love Paymo Plus! I've never been able to work with stopwatch-like time trackers so having Paymo Plus run in the background tracking my time spent on client projects is amazing. It runs all the time and at the end of the day, I simply allocate the entries to my different client projects. And being able to not just check how much time I spent on a day, in a week, month or year, but also per project, client or task is priceless.

Cons

I don't use the task and project management features at all and the same goes for the invoicing. More specialised app are better for that.

Paymo is a great tool for management and tracking time on projects, and is very easy to pick...

Reviewed on 24/7/2018

Pros

I liked how easy it is for a new user to pick the tool up and figure out how it works, and I like the visuals they use to show how much time you've worked/how you're splitting time between projects.

Cons

While it is easy to use, it's pretty lacking in features - other management and time tracking tools have more features (like easy ways to access documents, add detailed notes, etc.)

Response from Paymo

Hi,

Just wanted to let you know that we integrate with Google Drive so you can add file to and from Google Drive account to your Paymo account.

Also you can add task descriptions, comments, create topics/discussions etc.

Jason B.

A Great App for Freelancers to Manage Client Projects

Reviewed on 15/6/2016

I was first introduced to Paymo because a client was using it already for their own internal business management logistics. As I became more familiar with its features and functionality, I began using it for my own projects.

Pros

Makes it easy to keep track of multiple projects across multiple clients
Quick timesheet reports are very helpful
Helpful for breaking down time usage across projects

Cons

Wish the automatic timer had some additional functionality for alerts
Some additional customization options on displays would be nice

Response from Paymo

Hey Jason, thank you for the review, greatly appreciated! I'm glad you like the app, and.. you're right: it's very hard to find the "perfect app", and it's much harder to build the perfect one :)

Paula M.

So simple to use

Reviewed on 15/10/2018

It's fantastic at keeping a track on our team's hours and we can easily see when a project is running close to over budget. The invoicing function is invaluable to us as a small business and is very easy to use and efficient.

Pros

It is incredibly easy to use and intuitive in its layout.

Cons

The report writer doesn't allow you to edit the report on line - you need to edit the entry on the timesheet or re-run the report

Amy B.

Tracking Employee Hours

Reviewed on 17/3/2020

My experience with Paymo has been positive and trouble free.

Pros

Paymo makes it extremely to track employee clock ins and outs. It also makes it simple to track time involved in various projects that are being worked on.

Cons

There hasn't been anything to stand out that I don't like about this software. Everything works as it should the majority of the time.

Response from Paymo

Wohooo, kudos Amy

• Used Other for Free Trial

I have used Paymo previously and like it a lot except for one thing.

Reviewed on 24/7/2018

Again, I think it's a great application, but my less costly (free!) apps work much better at task creation than Paymo, and that's huge for me.

Pros

Paymo is a great full-service project manager / task list / time-tracker / reporting and invoicing application. I think it's great that they give you up to 1GB of storage for free and up to 50GB for their first level of pricing. I used them a long time ago and their product has become very professional looking as well, and nicely integrated among its different features. The price is OK, but not high for what you get especially if you use all the features.

Cons

The only thing I'm not a fan of, and this goes for most apps that are task oriented is that it doesn't seem to have a pre-built app integrated with some of the more mail clients. There are some that allow you to connect with their application at the point of opening an email, turn it into a task, and select which customer/project you want to assign it, and your done. I guess Paymo might offer this availability via some custom coding via their API (and kudows for that!), but usually it's handed off via a somewhat clunky zap from Zapier that relies on presetting the projects and email labels. Seems like it could be easier.

Guy M.
  • Industry: Religious Institutions

Very creative and fully-featured

Reviewed on 9/6/2015

I have been using Paymo since their version 2, when it was free (around 2 years, give or take). I got hooked back then, then fell even more in love with it when Version 3 came out. I found it when looking for a time clock tool. I run a small business that is hourly contract based, so I needed something to allow me to track multiple employees (users), and the time being spent on contracts. Paymo fit that bill very well. The invoicing features are awesome as well. Project Management is not really its design focus, however it does have a pretty robust setup that is more than adequate. You can track clients, projects and tasks with fairly decent organization. Some detailed reporting and a few light dashboard graphs top off a nice package.

Pros

Invoicing (custom templates, recurring invoices), Reports (customizable, very detailed), Time Tracking (detailed time sheets, detailed timer widget, summary graphs, mobile app, best I've seen), Support (support is email based, however is maintained through an in-page chat type format, making it very easy to communicate with support, and they have pretty quick response, usually same or next day.)

Cons

Really not much to say here. These guys are emerging into this market, so every once in a while I encounter a bug or so. Sometimes they are slow to get them fixed. I get the feeling that they are struggling just a little bit to keep up with demand.

Yvette W.

Overall Paymo is a great project management tool and has a decent time tracking feature.

Reviewed on 18/5/2018

The ease of time tracking and invoicing saved us a lot of time.

Pros

I like Paymo's time tracking feature. It is very well built. My team is able to switch between tasks easily with its time tracking app. The time report feature helps us to do invoicing, general time tracking, etc.

Cons

I don't like how I can't set and filter tasks based on the tasks status. For example - tasks can have status such as "to do", "in progress", "revise", and "complete".

Response from Paymo

Hi Yvette,

This is now possible in the new Home area.

Al K.
  • Industry: Motion Pictures & Film

I am a consultant and use Paymo to record my time/notes, expenses, invoicing, end of year...

Reviewed on 31/5/2017

Time management, textual notes for jobs, expenses, invoices, end of year reports for my taxes.

Pros

Easy of use and plenty of great features. It is updated often and I have never had a "bug". I have submitted feature requests in the past and get same-day response from their product team.