SugarCRM

Customizable customer relationship management software

3.8 /5 (343 reviews) Write a Review!
3.6
3.7
Craig S.
Industry: Apparel & Fashion

Automated lead acquisition tracker

Used Monthly for 1-5 months
Reviewed on 3/7/2020

My overall experience with SugarSell has been satisfactory. Because I was able to achieve my core business objective of tracking new prospects interested in becoming my customers and targeting them with marketing campaigns to retain them for the long term. Once I am able to perfectly integrate leads data with Google Analytics sessions data and connect the dots between submitting the become a customer form to account login and products engagement as well as conversions, I will find more value inSugarSell tool.

Pros

I use SugarSell software to track new customer leads for my e-commerce business. When I run a report on new leads, I want to know name of the customer, email address, which country that customer belongs to, etc. All these vital parameters are captured by SugarSell. It also assigns a unique identifier called web id to every new prospect who submits the become a customer form. So, there are no duplicate leads in the same report. Using information gathered form SugarSell reports, I am able to run nurture campaigns to retain the new customers by providing a user friendly experience and targeted coupons. This strategy has helped me improve quality of my leads who are engaged and returning often to buy more of my items.

Cons

When I started using SugarSell leads acquisition software, I had to get used to its interface and features. So, folks who don't have analytical or technical background, there is a sharp learning curve. After I got used to the interface, I had to work with implementation team to configure the software to meet my custom business needs around reporting and targeting. Plus, it was extra effort to integrate lead submission data with Google Analytics customer session data. Hence, be prepared to invest more of your budget into customizing the tool and maximizing its potential. Then only you can improve your ROI.

Likelihood to recommend: 7.0/10

Sugar was one of my first forays into the world of CRM and covers all the basics

Reviewed on 13/7/2018

I learned how to work a CRM. I kept track of all customer records, ranging from revenue and profit and order amount and contact list and order dates and essentially everything related to my job operationally as a purchasing coordinator. Definitely made my life easier.

Pros

Very customizable to your needs. Straightforward, no nonsense UI. Easy to read and find things. Sugar is a perfect entry into CRMs that aren't salesforce, because its useful across all industries and departments. Its simple while being complex. You can create functions and layouts that are very specific to your needs, but without it cluttering and looking like there's a lot of information.

Cons

Its not very pretty. Sort of looks like it was made in the early 200s and they just kept the look since. People are always talking about professionalism, and this definitely looks less polished than other CRMs. Because of this, some of the information can blend together and be difficult to find if there are long lists of things you are looking for.

Ryan C.
Industry: Computer Software

Very Customizable CRM software.

Reviewed on 7/11/2016

We use CRM to track our sales leads, current customer support and create mass mailing lists. It is a very powerful tool when used correctly.

Pros

It is a very robust systems that can be used for tracking customer support, sales and contact management.

Cons

Because of it customizable nature, it can be set up incorrectly by the end user. For this reason, it is very important to have someone in house that is very Sugar savvy to ensure it works the way you need it to. When updates are delivered, it commonly knocked us down for a few days while we implemented changes to make everything work again.

Michael G.
Industry: Insurance

Awesome product for any business.

Reviewed on 16/3/2017

I have been using SugarCRM for several companies. What stood out to me is the functionality you are getting right out of the box you are getting everything you need for the fraction of competitor's price.

I would rate customer support 6 stars, they are always on top, extremely fast, and even providing you with the solutions for 3rd party applications.

Another big thing is ability easily integrate SugarCRM with your own applications or install custom plugins. API functionality is quite impressive and easy to use, we have done a lot of integrations and automation in our company.

I recommend SugarCRM to everyone who wants to take his/her business to the next level, and actually see what is happening in the organization, and why.

Pros

Functionality and API is impressing

Cons

UI is slow for 2017. Need to speed up the response time.

Yeni O.
Industry: Computer Software

We re-engineered Sugar to work with our sales process.

Reviewed on 23/7/2018

Pros

SugarCRM makes it easy for the sales department to save information about customers and clients ,and follow up with service cases.Fantastic customer support team ,and as administrator,I am glad at how helpful the SugarCRM team has been to me over the years.
SugarCRM is open source too,and thus we have been able to tweak this Customer Relationship Management system ,to fit into our current business environment and in-house sales process.And I think this is the best part of this CRM.

Cons

Average user interface. However since it is an open source solution ,it is probably very much expected.

Chad K.
Industry: Printing

We started using the basic online software and built it up from there. Use is up as are sales.

Reviewed on 28/11/2017

We understand more about the daily activities of traveling and phone based salespeople and can be regularly updated with notes. Tech work is easily tracked and shared company wide instead of being branch based. Email and phone lists are easily generated to focus on specific groups.

Pros

Both salespeople and management are able to use the information generated to increase sales and look for new opportunities.

Cons

Not being a programmer, it can sometimes take a lot of work to tweak the program to specific ideas. Integrating old information that is not in Sugar categories had to be done manually and took a lot of time, but it was worth the effort.

François B.
Industry: Pharmaceuticals
Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

Free has value

Reviewed on 13/2/2018

Great tool to manage relations with customers and follow-ups, brought some visibility where it was lacking.

Pros

Extremely configurable, vastly customizable, lots of modules available, large online community, free version.

Cons

The only sad part about it is that all the captions used for drop-down lists (Or radio buttons or any multiple choice controls) are stored straight to PHP pages and not in the database (So in MySql you end up having only keys but no trace of the long values). There is some workaround (Nightly job to extract and copy those in a table), but it's a hassle.

Gabriel B.
Industry: Information Technology & Services
Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

Too many functionalities

Reviewed on 27/10/2018

It's a really complete tool for CRM management, it's clear on what are the basics, but to get more benefits on the added value the propose you need to deep dive into the different layers of the software. Overall is very easy to use.

Pros

It has a lot of features that give an holistic way of keeping track of customers leads, also it has multi device interfaces which makes it amazing for on the run salespersons.

Cons

too many functionalities that you don't really use, I think because of a lack of education on the software. Also the exporting files need to be fixed on format and layout.

Eddie W.
Industry: Law Practice

Great CRM for any field

Reviewed on 22/2/2019

This has been very useful to maintain digital client files and to monitor the work on client cases.

Pros

It can be personalized for your particular company or organization. The fields can be easily edited and it is extremely easy to run reports. The notes function is very easy to use. You can also connect emails to sugar and save emails. The calendar function is very useful as well.

Cons

There are more lags and "time outs" than I've seen with some other software. However, the issue is usally addressed fairly quickly.

David K.

Lot of tinker around and slow hosting

Reviewed on 18/7/2017

It was a great place to store leadscontacts/and track opportunity pipelines

Pros

It has very comprehensive help docs and the answer was always available. It offered a lot of customization with little experience in managing CRM.s

Cons

It was very very slow when running through Sugar's own servers. We had to pay a 3rd party to host this elsewhere which was lame because we were not managing very many people of leads.

Not ideal for cold calling, it was pretty clunky to track many calls per day.

Some of the more intense marketing automation stuff was not very intuitive, they made up a lot of their own language and had some annoying steps to get things done that were not always clear.

Likelihood to recommend: 4.0/10

George D.
Industry: Printing

For me, it was Salesforce vs. Sugar CRM. SugarCRM is half the cost, and does the same job.

Reviewed on 28/11/2017

I run my entire company using this CRM system.

Pros

Very flexible and easy to edit. Fast response time on queries (I use the OnDemand cloud version). Good support for SugarCRM staff. And there are many integrations and plugins that enhance the experience.

Cons

Lot of 3rd party integrations and customizations can "break" as Sugar goes through upgrades. The Word and Outlook Add-ins are a bit awkward and time consuming -- but they do work as advertised. Sometime there is constant re-logging in to make them work.

Michael R.

I can't see working with out a CRM now that I've been introduced to Sugar

Reviewed on 28/11/2017

Our sales team spends less time in the office and more time out in the field, but armed with powerful data before venturing on cold calls.

Pros

It's easy to use and I like the functionality and customization ability. Our Sugar instance appears to have been customized for our industry. Adding drop-down menus and removing modules is simple and easy to learn if your not familiar with CRMs in general.

Cons

Importing data, even though properly mapped, doesn't always come out the way it should. It also would be nice if accounts would link with sub-panel data during the import phase. I also found pulling reports to be overly complicated, but like the addition of the report wizard.

Very hard to learn and very disfunctional.

Reviewed on 10/7/2018

Client management and service case tracking. We also used the email service to mass email our client list.

Pros

It gave us a one-stop place to store our client information and to track service cases. It offered custom reporting. Tabs are somewhat customizable.

Cons

Very difficult to learn how to use. Reports are are very finicky and usually don't show all of the information they should, even when you KNOW the filters are correct.

Matt T.

Very difficult to understand all the features

Reviewed on 22/5/2018

Pros

The ability to link to other software. The ease of inputting customer information. The ability to track calls by user

Cons

Extremely difficult to use all available features. Trainers and customer support need more training as well. The software boast tons of features but no one seems to know how to use them all and link them to other software to be most beneficial

Volker B.
Industry: Marketing & Advertising

Started as a Salesforce clone

Reviewed on 5/12/2018

Once you get it rolling you can really work with SugarCRM

Pros

SugarCRM tries to be what Salesforce has always been. As an open source product you can get a lot of functionality for free, once you manage the administration of the server. Good customisation of the user interface, too.

Cons

Even the professional version has many limits in terms of functions and flexibility.

Dawn M.
Industry: Law Practice

Usage for Law Firm

Reviewed on 16/3/2017

We aren't in sales per say but we have adapted it to be able to use it for our needs and it is working great. We just upgraded to the Enterprise edition so I am looking forward to diving in to more features and knowledge!

Pros

Workflows help us get knowledge about our client leads to the appropriate people for action to take place

Cons

Kind of a learning curve in order to set up the system and workflows

Brent W.

The low cost alternative to Salesforce

Reviewed on 12/12/2017

Its a CRM so it holds our customer data, but it fails at basic things like contract management, support ticketing, opportunity management, forecasting and searching

Pros

Its going to be difficult to provide any pro's about SugarCRM. I inherited this CRM after coming from multiple companies using salesforce. Sugar is about 40% less expensive than salesforce, and we use the on-premise, but cloud hosted model.

Cons

There are a lot of downsides to sugar. We had corruption issues each time we upgraded, dashboards are extremely limited, and you cannot push out dashboards to users. I find it difficult to use from a UI perspective, where expanded panels make the UI sluggish and busy. searching in the global search bar is odd and you never get proper results, results sets only return up to 1000 rows, other than that you need a report which is extremely difficult to use. Forecasting requires the individual to select the commit button, not the sales manager. You cannot set global quota, but rather a quota per month manually.Probably the most non intuitive UI i have ever used. Every new sales person is just bewildered by its use.

Likelihood to recommend: 0.0/10

Shari G.

Bought the software over a year ago, still having trouble implementing it

Reviewed on 8/12/2017

Pros

We were told that we could create our own billing program using this software. Also thought it would be able to deliver useful reporting

Cons

We are still struggling to use the software because we have had trouble getting good hands on support. We know there is alot that can be done with the software, but each time we need a change or a report generated, it costs us hundreds of dollars in fees.

Likelihood to recommend: 5.0/10

Ease of use when entering data,new customer and Invoicing and Ease of Intergaration

Reviewed on 22/5/2018

Ease of Use-Excellent User Interface.
Ease of Training other staff.
Cost effective and value addition.

Pros

Cost effective
Ease of use and integration.
Good reporting features.
Customization.
Available for all Functional areas example- Sales/Marketing.

Cons

No dedicated account manager for the starters.
Limited space for the starters
Only only online support is provided for the Proffesional

Daniel D.
Industry: Outsourcing/Offshoring

Basic CRM

Reviewed on 1/3/2019

It is ok tool if you need to keep your database of contacts clean and running

Pros

It has basic functions so you can keep track if you import all information - you can schedule tasks, keep track and pull reports.

Cons

Requires a bit of work if you want all reports accurate and the design could be a little bit more lively.

Industry: Information Services

A great software for those that know how to code

Reviewed on 12/9/2018

been using the free opensource version for over 9 years now. has worked great.

Customizable
Configurable
add own custom code

Cons

This system does not have any issues to report.

Timothy J.
Industry: Construction

Great CRM

Reviewed on 21/11/2018

Sugar does everything it sets out to do; it’s a fantastic resource for keeping track of client information and managing your relationships with clients. They’re excellent with helping you develop your account to get exactly what you need and are there if any issues arise.

Pros

The company I work for has been developing our account with SugarCRM for a while, and they’ve always been great with fulfilling our needs and requests. It automatically syncs appointments with the appropriate group on Google Calendar, so I’ve never had an issue with a missed appointment.

Cons

On occasion, an error message comes up and it prevents you from saving information you’re putting in. This happens most often with appointment booking, but it alerts you to the error right as you open the tab, so it’s easy enough to back out and reopen it before you waste time putting information in.

Industry: Marketing & Advertising

Easy to Learn and Intuitive for the Most Part

Reviewed on 21/8/2018

I thought Sugar was easy to learn and teach new employees, and was useful and reliable.

Pros

Easy to set up and manage new clients or prospects, track where they are in the sales cycle, and use API to import data for email lists or other contacting projects.

Cons

Not the prettiest software to look at but gets the job done.

Alejandro A.
Industry: Hospital & Health Care

It can't keep up

Reviewed on 19/1/2017

At start when was used in the company where I work was working relatively fast with quick load times and almost zero crashes, but when the company grow with more employees, new headquarters and more customers and much more data in our database, the software become slow, sluggish and very unstabble. Even when I was testing a new version out of the box of sugar with an empty database in wamp and xamp enviorement , it was very slow and sluggish .

Pros

Customization:Have the posibility to create new modules

Cons

Slow
Ugly and ancient UI
Hard to use
Lack of good support documentation

Response from SugarCRM

Alejandro - sorry to hear about your issues - quick question - are you using a paid commercial version or the free Community Edition? You noted an older UI - and Sugar 7.x has the most modern UX on the market so I was curious if you're using an older or open source version and thus the performance and UI complaints. Let me know at [email protected] thanks!

Jesseca L.

SO EASY TO USE AND EVEN EASIER TO TRAIN ON

Reviewed on 5/2/2018

Pros

Love this CRM due to the fact it is so easy to use. The training really is self explanatory and I LOVE the reports it can run.

Cons

Sometimes when there is a "glitch" it will double book someone. Really is important to look at the date of the meeting right after the appt. is booked