SugarCRM

Customizable customer relationship management software

3.8 /5 (344 reviews) Write a Review!

Victoria G.
  • Industry: Oil & Energy

Excellent Community CRM

Reviewed on 12/2/2019

SugarCRM Community edition has been a great daily driver for my music business. It's reliable, and has enough functionality to enable me to record all the key data that I need. The ability to self-host the platform is fantastic, because it helps keep costs down, and when you work on a small-scale, you don't need all of the processing power of a paid hosted solution. Definitely a great option if you have the savvy to install and maintain your own instance on your web server.

Pros

I used the self-hosted community CRM for several years for my own music business. It has a ton of functionality that matches a lot of the basic features you find in Salesforce Classic. It's a great tool for keeping track of client data, deal tracking, etc. It's also nice to be able to self-host the platform as well as it's a lot more affordable than using a paid SaaS solution.

Cons

SugarCRM Community Edition looks pretty dated. If you don't have a lot of experience with the typical CRM data model concept, it can be hard to figure out how to use the system. The interface could be modernized to make it easier to navigate and find your way around. Another downside to being the Community Edition is that you need to know how to install and maintain the platform on your own server, but this is also a plus if you do have these skills.

• Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

Indeed a great CRM with effective results

Reviewed on 26/5/2019

Overall my experience with this CRM is great. I am using it daily and I can say that my daily work is incomplete without it. It is so simple to use and provides amazing results for reports and dashboards, their customer's support team is very responsive.

Pros

I am using it for more than three years and like almost everything about it. This CRM is very easy to use because of its simple design and easy to use user interface. I like the way SugarCRM provides reports and dashboards which is very easy to understand. SugarCRM provides secruity of data and information and now I can handle the different campaigns, create a different campaign for anyone and even get a complete picture of it very easily.

Cons

I would like to highlight one thing that I dislike about it which is its overall cost. A small organization may not afford this CRM but overall it is worth to spend on it.

Josh B.
  • Industry: Transportation/Trucking/Railroad

SugarCRM Review - Walz Scale

Reviewed on 16/3/2017

We have been using Sugar for several years, but only in the past six months have we really dug down to fully utilize the software. The tool is fairly simple to use, I like the reporting functions, but the feedback I get from my sales team is that it is just 'clunky' to use. I'll give you one little example. For the Opportunity 'Actual Closed Won' date, I found through coming across some bad sales data for the month, that if you close a sale in January, and that same month you mark it as Closed Won. But lets say in March you want to go in and add a note to the description. Once you edit that note, (thus changing the Modify date) you autimatically changed the 'Actual Closed Won' date to March. Really messes up sales reports! When I contacted Sugar, there really wasnt an easy fix. We found SierraCRM (third part software) and Bill Convis from there helped with a solution to this problem. We have now purchased this software and believe that this will help take us to the next level of using Sugar. Sugar Support via email is usually pretty prompt, but as far as hearing from our 'Account Manager', just 2 weeks ago was the first time I heard from someone regarding our account. At that point, I had already reached out to SierraCRM, so I did not need anything from Sugar.
To summarize: Great tool, though a little clunky, but the price is not bad. Customer service could be improved, especially for companies like us who are invested in the process, and just need some help taking our sales process to the next level. Thanks!

Pros

I like the Online (sugar on demand) that allows Sugar Support to get into your software and look and something you may be struggling with, like reports...

Cons

Design is little clunky. Think with some improvements, it might be easier to convert leads, update opportunities. Need less clicks!

Chris C.
  • Industry: Computer Networking

Bargain paid open source CRM with lots of power

Reviewed on 17/2/2017

In my opinion, one of the top two open source CRM apps. A responsive web interface which works the same on all smartphones tablets laptops and desktop computers, no app required. The CRM of choice used by many upstart aggressive disruptive companies of all sizes. Highly cost effective, and expandable with tons of third party PHP modules available from the SugarOutfitters app store, such as connectors to your phone system, document system, marketing automation, reports, social media, etc. A complete bargain when compared with the usual salesforce which runs inside a restricted environment. Way more customizable because you have the wide ranging freedom of adding the latest innovations of PHP code to strengthen and automate your CRM.

Pros

Open source roots. Benefits from the rising tide of PHP innovations which let you keep up to date by adding new modules for a very affordable prices. There is a massive community of PHP developers available to help build custom modules for you for cheap prices, if you don't have PHP programming skills.

Cons

It can take some time to get used to how to use it. Also, it's too bad the free SugarCRM CE (Community Edition) version 6.5.25 is somewhat outdated, and updated only to fix security bugs. Although, it's about 75% the same features as the paid current version of SugarCRM Pro 7.8.

Dominic R.

A good open source CRM, but lacking modernization

Reviewed on 25/6/2018

It allowed us as a small business to track, bill, and market to our customers and potential customers.

Pros

Of course you can't beat free when it comes to software. There are so many open-source applications out there that you can almost always find one that meets your needs in this day and age. SugarCRM has been around a long time and has become a mature CRM with all the basics you'd expect. It even handles customization fairly well. Dashboards are great for tracking the simply stuff and you can build your own as well.

Cons

SugarCRM has now split into 2 tracks. There's a paid-for premium version that is typically hosted by SugarCRM. Then there's the Community Edition that's still open-source and free. For years they co-existed side-by-side perfectly fine, but a few years back, SugarCRM decided to stop updating the Community Edition. CE is eternally stuck on version 6.5. And then in April 2018, they've removed it entirely so now you're stuck with the Pro or Enterprise editions which are paid-for.

Vince P.

SugarCRM Review

Reviewed on 8/9/2017

One of the main benefits is having the mobile app that SugarCRM provides this helped to get us data and information at our fingertips when needed. Sugar is reasonably priced, has pretty good user-friendly interfaces and requires just a little training to get used to it. It's more suitable for mid-sized companies.

Pros

SugarCRM functioned well for storing prospect and customer information.
I was able to load new contacts into the system without much hassle.
Our company is able to adjust the system software to fit our specific needs with ease simply by reaching out to the support team.

Cons

We wanted to explore other CRM options it was nearly impossible for me, from a user standpoint, to export all of our information.
We were coming up on the end of our trial and stood to lose all of our data and I couldn't figure out how to export it. Difficult to do filters as well. I didn't like the format for leads to accounts to sales. Pipeline is also difficult to follow.

Sugar CRM Review

Reviewed on 12/2/2019

Sugar seemed like a really awesome CRM with exciting features, but it was very time consuming to make sure everything was in and done correctly that it just became a headache and took focus off of selling.

Pros

Sugar had a lot of cool features that I had not seen in other crm's I've used in the past. When they worked, it allowed me to quickly see my month and goals and see what I had in my pipeline still.

Also, it was fairly easy to use while driving in the car between appointments and quickly type in a review of what I met with the accounts about.

Cons

Quit often the software features that we nice to have were either not accurate or not working. The idea of having it was nice but it was annoying when I had no idea what was correct with my numbers. Also, it took quite a long time to find certain accounts and many of them were duplicated in the system and you must pay close attention to the account number to make sure it was the right one. Also, putting in tasks and calls were done separately so our management team required that we basically put in one contact with an account twice to make sure it was on our calendar and the pipeline.

• Industry: Insurance
  • Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

Great CRM, but the FREE version is the best

Reviewed on 20/7/2018

The main benefits I got from this software was the ability to keep my contacts all in one place. It was excellent in scheduling tasks, creating contacts, assigning tasks, etc.

Pros

The thing I liked best about the Sugar CRM Community Edition that is free is that our developers could customize it for our company and add great features, something we can't do with the big name CRM solutions.

Cons

The thing I like the least about this software is it is very limited in features which makes their competitors a better bargain. Additionally, the functionality can be off. For example, our developers had difficulty incorporating some features into their free CE because of bugs. I have heard from others the paid version is overpriced, not worth it, and there are other better options out there.

• Industry: Automotive

SugarCRM is a usefull CRM tool

Reviewed on 6/9/2018

Pros

Since the latest updates it became very user friendly compared to previous interfaces, it has several modules you can purchase and also customize to your own needs, given that these are designed correctly. The latest version of the App is really good and saves a lot of time in you are on the road.

Cons

It was not the simplest thing to connect it to a Dashboard service and also to setup reports, but once you set it up runs pretty smoothly. It might have been an issue with my company's server but it ran incredibly slow when outside company's internet, being very frustrating to use on the go. The Outlook Add-on never worked properly and made my outlook crash all the time, finally removed it.

An easy way to have records of you clients info, sales and follows up.

Reviewed on 15/11/2018

When I was working in real state, keeping track of the future clients, the clients that already bought and the cancelled contracts it was hard and overwhelming until we started to use CRM at the office. I would say that yes, even there are pros and it needs a lot of time in training to be able to use it, it is worthy!

Pros

It is a great app to follow track of all your clients, having all their contact information, the amount of sales, and being able to send massive advertisement emails to your customers.

Cons

It needs an intensive training to be able to use it as some functions requieres knowledgments that are not easy to learn for new users. It an expensive software.

Sarah P.

Used SugarCRM Before Switching to SuiteCRM

Reviewed on 4/4/2018

The ability to log and store information about clients was limitless.

Pros

This software took a bit to learn, but once you learned the logic behind the software, the reporting was very easy to use. There was the ability to store lots of information about a client, more than you could ever possibly need.

Cons

The software was pretty rigid; I was never aware of ways to make changes to it. The way that some of the information was organized was sometimes confusing.

Kathryn G.
  • Industry: Printing

Building Account Information with Details

Reviewed on 6/8/2020

My experience has been positive. Sugar is easy to navigate.

Pros

The description feature is great. You can add details & links for for the opportunity. Colleagues have said how much they appreciate the extra information and save how much research time having this all in one location has saved them.

Cons

Searching opportunities can be challenging unless you customize the search criteria for each individual search.

Ben H.
  • Industry: Wireless

Very hard to set up for a small business

Reviewed on 27/10/2016

As a small business, we needed to keep track of our vital customer information in a CRM system. SFDC was outside of our price point, so we decided to go with SugarCRM. The system turned out to be very challenging to implement - we certainly didn't have enough resources in house to do this efficiently. Overall, though, SugarCRM is a useful tool, but it just isn't worth the pain and hassle if you're a very small business.

Pros

Makes keeping track of vital customer information easier.

Cons

Very challenging to implement.

Katie B.

Good experience, but customer support should be included and not priced per hour to make...

Reviewed on 28/11/2017

Pros

Easy to use. I've used Salesforce in the past and it's similar to that. Lots of customization available.

Cons

We've had to customize a lot for our accounting business and it gets pricey to make many changes. I have a hard time understanding how to run reports, it seemed much easier to me in Salesforce, but maybe that's because we have a lot of customization.

• Industry: Publishing
  • Used Other for 6-12 months

Sugar CRM. Pretty sweet, but it wasn't always like that!

Reviewed on 19/7/2018

Pros

When you learn it, it IS great software. Sugar is of course different than other CRMs because they each have their own 'flavor' and style. Over the past few years, they have really gotten their act together.. better support, better website, better user interface. If you get a demo and it feels right and easy to adopt, you can't go wrong.

Cons

In my opinion, Sugar was overpriced as of the last time we looked at it, tested it for a few months, but decided to go another direction. I got the feeling of 'it's our way or the highway'. And I know plenty of people use Sugar and it works well, but it wasn't for us.

At the time, Sugar had a Community Edition (free) that you could host on your own LAMP stack... but they wanted to make more money, so they stopped development of that edition, and now it's dead.

Now it's all paid subscriptions, like pretty much everything these days, and they have the plans set up so if you need just one extra feature, you have to upgrade to a higher tier, which costs significantly more money.

Abigail U.

We used this program for quotes, recording assets, shipment details and leads for sales...

Reviewed on 3/11/2017

Pros

The ability to copy/duplicate previous quotes for other customer accounts. If a quote is not revisited in 30 days, an automatic email reminder is sent to account rep/owner.

Cons

Entering tracking information and serial numbers for each asset is a time consuming process, almost a full time job to input.

Karen M.
  • Industry: Research
  • Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

Must have tool for sales departments

Reviewed on 31/8/2018

Pros

This tool helps me a lot when I was business engineer, because I had all my business process mapped in this software. Since the new clients to the business near to close. You can monitor and control all your work as a sales person.

Cons

SugarCRM is a good tool for small and medium companies, but not for big sales departments because doesn't have all the features that other applications offers.

Clement B.
  • Industry: Security & Investigations
  • Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

best opensource CRM we used!

Reviewed on 27/11/2018

We still use this software (open edition) and it still works.
We are in the process of planning the migration to the paid version.

Pros

The software is highly customizable and still fit our needs.

Cons

The community edition is now end of life...

Ben W.

Very customizeable

Reviewed on 12/6/2017

Pros

We have highly customized the application and it has worked very well for our specific industry. Easy to program and easy to work with.

Cons

There are some legacy portions of the software that pose some challenges but Sugar upgrades their application often the only issue is when you run a highly customized sugar application it is challenging to upgrade to newer versions.

Dave S.
  • Industry: Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing

It's a sweet program that helps the medicine go down and the contacts move through the funnel!

Reviewed on 17/2/2017

My use of Sugar has been a bit more limiting than some others, but when used, it's been a solid CRM to meet out needs. We've tried an in-house built CRM and it keeps paling in comparison to Sugar. The features and functions are strong and it's abilities are probably much more powerful than I've learned how to use to date.

Pros

pretty intuitive to use and a clean layout; helps us track our sales funnel from capturing leads to sales so very helpful in meeting its designed intent

Cons

can't always quickly find what I'm looking for but likely caused by not using it day in and day out

Ian L.

Great value CRM

Reviewed on 14/5/2019

Pros

Easy to use and does exactly what you need it to do

Cons

May not have as many features as SalesForce

Andy L.
  • Industry: Automotive

Solid Product

Reviewed on 16/3/2017

Very reliable, Love the auto software update, it makes it easy and one less thing I have to do. :)

Pros

It's always up.

Cons

Support via email in not my preferred channel.

Jonathan A.
  • Industry: Telecommunications

It has excellent functionalities

Reviewed on 28/11/2017

We can get statistics in real time, and adjust the system to the needs of the company

Pros

the possibility to create my own options, and configure the app's menu according to the sales criteria

Cons

Response times when a case is mounted on the support platform are very high, as well as the solution of an incident

• Industry: Telecommunications
  • Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

The best solution for telco industry

Reviewed on 12/2/2019

We use it for two years straight and we are satisfied. We use SugarCRM for business pprrocesses automation.

Pros

It is great for custom enterprise solution. Highly customizable and intuitive for useres.

Cons

Data visualisation is outdated. Custom reports are not so easy for implementation.

Andrew M.

Sugar CRM - Robust Partner Network with beautiful UI and out of the box dashboards

Reviewed on 9/4/2018

A CRM with a tight partner community, strong work flows and automation rules, with easy integrations a plenty!

Pros

Ability to quickly and easily parse through the contact data, including sales quotes and order forms. The small side bar, which out of the box, provides easy to use data with a customizable formatting. Our integration is able to natively leverage these tables for data insert/export. Combining all this data plus the ability to configure work flows and automations, is priceless for a CRM.

Sugar's partner community is vast and quick to respond for all issues. Very responsive.

Cons

Sugar CRM can sometimes but troublesome to investigate issues, as a lot of the environments are cloud based. This usually involves sending an email to support where they are quick to remedy the issue.