3,440 reviews
Frank N.
Industry: Media Production

I wish I could rate it higher than a 10

Reviewed on 9/9/2019

Switching to it from one of those other software packages was one of the most liberating experiences of my career.

Pros

It was so easy to add and remove third party apps if and when they were needed.Plus, there were lots of options for third party apps that I could plug in or switch out as needed.

Cons

It never once made me a cup of coffee. I know that sounds like a weird joke but that's pretty much the only thing that it couldn't do for me.

Heather M.
Industry: Graphic Design
Company size: Self Employed

Easy no nonsense accounting platform

Reviewed on 8/10/2020

I had been using a widely regarded accounting competitor whose system was way more than I needed. FreshBooks allowed me to consolidate several platforms into one - saving me money and time.

Pros

FreshBooks allows me to create estimates & send proposals, track my time, invoice clients and reconcile my expenses for financial reporting all in one easy to use place. I was using 3 different platforms before to do all of this.

Cons

It would be nice to have slightly more robust accounting functionality but for the most part it does everything I need it to do. I’d like to be able to track time by quantity rather than just duration.

Wesley W.
Industry: Financial Services

Tons of Features and Easy to Use

Reviewed on 17/11/2020

Fresh Books is a must have for businesses that want to simplify their accounting software. My team loved all the options and great support. I will be recommending this software to my business colleagues.

Pros

There is so many features that any one at any level can use. The pricing options definitely made this a great purchase item to help my business.

Cons

It could have some more options on customizing reports.

Craig F.
Industry: Information Technology & Services

Good for time tracking and invoicing; barely functional for accounting

Reviewed on 30/9/2019

The original version of FreshBooks, which we started using in 2014, was great for time tracking and invoicing. Unfortunately, they decided to build a completely new web application to add accounting features. We migrated to the new version about two years ago, and it did not go well. The new version didn't add many useful features, and the time tracking app got worse (see above). We decided to try the accounting feature this year (2019) because Xero started getting more expensive and lost its payroll feature. We have found the FreshBooks accounting features to be barely usable, and we're struggling to find an accountant that will support FreshBooks.

Pros

FreshBooks is good for freelancers or service-based small businesses that need to track time spend on client projects, and report the time on invoices. It's also good for tracking basic expenses, whether they are allocated to the business, or passed on to clients. The reporting features are also useful.

The payroll integration with Gusto is a simple and affordable way to run payroll for a small business.

Cons

The mobile app for time tracking became so buggy that I had to stop using it; it would frequently lose track of the time if I paused the timer. They also added a "feature" that creates a new line item on the invoice every time you pause the timer, which really clutters up the invoice. I now use a separate tracking app and manually enter my time.

The accounting features are barely adequate, and the accounting functionality is more like a public beta than production software. There's a chart of accounts, bank reconciliation, and a general ledger. We use cash-basis accounting, so it works for us, but if you carry inventory, I don't think FreshBooks will support accrual accounting. The bank reconciliation was officially "beta" until very recently.

Admins aren't allowed to edit the chart of accounts, so you need to have an accountant or bookkeeper set it up. Unfortunately, most accountants I've talked to won't work with FreshBooks directly. Strangely, FreshBooks will help you find a bookkeeper who works with FreshBooks, but not an accountant.

Response from FreshBooks

Hey Craig, thank you for taking the time to share this detailed review of FreshBooks.

I'm sorry to hear that you've run into issues with our mobile app and the timer creating multiple timers (though that is by design). If you had specific suggestions or features that you'd like to see for the Accounting features or anything else in FreshBooks, our team would love to hear it! I have flagged your feedback to be heard by our Product Specialists directly, but if there's anything else our Support Team would be happy to capture that feedback. They can be reached at [email protected] or 1-866-303-6061 Monday through Friday, 8am-8pm EST. ^DM

Tường V.
Industry: Banking

This software is extremely easy to use.Beautiful user interface, easy to operate and very profession

Reviewed on 30/10/2020

We work very well with the team thanks to work sharing, document sharing is quick and easy.

Pros

Completely convenient and easy. I find that overall this is a great program I use to start designing for businesses automatically. Can be combined with other apps I am using. No more spending weeks billing and sending to customers. Freshbooks will create an invoice and send it out in seconds send suggestions, track my time, invoice clients and adjust my costs for financial reporting, all in one easy-to-use. Track and control account simply, no longer spend too much effort because of many types of account simply each day. Smart reporting system combined with easy and effective teamwork place.

Cons

FreshBooks is designed with auto-leveling and data checking to ensure all numbers are accurate and logical. But since our trades are so accurate, I don't have any negative points

Industry: Accounting
Company size: 5,001-10,000 Employees

FreshBooks - a software program that really puts the freshness its doing invoicing

Reviewed on 21/11/2020

I do the invoicing for my husband on this and quite frankly its so easy to use that he can now do it himself. I honestly like the user-friendliness and the fact that you can add online payment methods and send off the invoice straight to client.

Pros

Ease of use and integration from pc to mobile. The fact that i could copy repetitive invoices and projects saved me a lot of time as well. Availability by the touch of a button

Cons

trial ended too soon... but was worth it! because I purchased the full version.

Adam H.

Invoicing made easy

Reviewed on 26/11/2019

I use it weekly to bill my clients and it only takes me mere minutes to type up my invoice and send to the client.

Pros

I have used Freshbooks for years now and only need it for a select number of clients. But it's interface and app are simple to use for billing. Ease of use is a big factor in using this software

Cons

The limits on the number of clients you can add on a free account. It used to be 5 but this changed to just one a few years ago. This forced me into purchasing a subscription with them.

Kieran W.

Great software

Overall great

Pros

It is simple and easy to use. It's not over-packed with features and the dashboard shows a great overview of how your business is doing.

Cons

I fit in a bit of a grey area when it comes to the software and sit right in between the two tiers. The next level is way more than I want to spend money-wise, and the one I'm on is too limited.

Industry: Media Production

A long term investment

Reviewed on 14/10/2020

It's been really great to get a quick glance whenever I log in of how many invoices I have outstanding and how much I'm billing clients throughout the year. It's invaluable and hopefully as my business grows, I will find more use for the larger scope of features I'm not yet taking advantage of.

Pros

It's clean and easy to use - it's not just an invoicing app, it's really about tracking and smooth running of what comes in and what goes out!

Cons

I suppose there are a few aspects that could be helpful - at first it was just simple things like further customization of invoice templates. But now I'm looking for better tax integrations for Canada.

Industry: Retail

Straightforward if you just need to do invoices

Reviewed on 1/8/2019

- Our invoices aren't just Word documents (yikes) or PDFs (better, but still not professional)
- We have a shorter turnaround for payment for services which makes everyone happy

Pros

- Clean, easy to track invoices
- Does a lot of the communication with outstanding payments for you
- Easy to look up status of invoices

Cons

- Invoices are kind of it - it isn't designed to be the same robust Intuit platform
- Doesn't support more complexities of accounting
- Very much for small businesses

Ryan C.
Industry: Construction

Barely passed high school math - and I'm now the bookkeeper

Reviewed on 8/10/2020

I love Freshbooks. We used Quickbooks up until I made the decision in January to say I was done stuggling with their program. We had tried the desk top and online versions and they both are so overwhelming with useless features that just get in the way of the simple bookkeeping and accounting needs that our particular business have.

I have been asked by other women in business, if I can help them with accounting as they start their business, and my first suggestion is that they immediately drop QB and move over to Freshbooks.

From our reports to filing quarterlies, reconciling and estimating - every thing about Freshbooks is better.

I have told my husband I would literally become a volunteer spokesperson for Freshbooks due to how much more enjoyable they have made running the backside of our business.

My ONLY regret is not doing this years ago. That's it. This product is life changing!

Pros

Pretty much everything.

The dashboard, estimating, reports, client organization, etc etc. This product is outstanding.

Cons

The type A personality in me would love to be able to close out the books monthly, but I'll take the trade off if it means my books stay balanced - which they always do in Freshbooks.

I also wish the mobile app was more of an interactive user app, vs being more of a quick snapshot of our business.

Brad M.
Industry: Events Services

Accounting for dummies

Reviewed on 19/6/2020

Overall I cant fault the product and would definitely recommend it to any business owner. The only thing I wish was possible, is to pay in my local currency for budgeting purposes.

Pros

I started using Freshbooks when I was given the opportunity to start a company in the wedding industry. At the time I had no idea what I was doing when it came to bookkeeping but FreshBooks made it easy to manage. What I loved about the software was the journey I followed, from Quotation to final invoice. The ability to send the quote/invoice with a simple click streamlined my business process. I eventually had to hand over when I couldn't handle the load, and because of the intuitive software, it was an simple handover. When I needed a report, i didn't have to wait for it to come from my bookkeeper, I just jumped online and got what I needed quickly and easily. Oh the cherry on the cake was the app. I used to showcase at trade-shows so the app allowed me to draw up an invoice and email the client without leaving the booth, or needing my laptop.

Cons

The price point was a bit of a hard pill to swallow, especially in an economy where the $ is much stronger than my local currency. The fluxuating market made budgeting a nightmare, and when getting a start up off the ground, every cent counts. While I could work around that, the one thing I disliked was the fact that one could go back and edit invoices/quotes post creation. I have since learnt that this is a big no no, but at the time I was non the wiser. I unfortunately lost money due to this, as many cash sales invoices were edited, and the balance pocketed.

Andreas L.
Industry: Telecommunications

Freshbooks - Still one of the best billing systems around

Reviewed on 19/12/2019

Able to run and invoice quickly. Add the strong integration that it has with Freshdesk for ticketing and my time tracking - it has allowed me to better streamline my operations.

Pros

Tracking and customer portal that is fully labeled as your own... this is a feature most competitors do not have. Know when your customers have viewed your invoices and even printed them! Slick mobile app

Cons

Pricing has gone up vis a vis other comparable competitors. Ticketing is very basic. One issue that could have been done better is that this is more of a quoting system and not proposal based. So making fancier proposals you are best off using another platform.

Russell F.
Industry: Computer Software

Extraordinary item combined to the friendliest help in financial software

Used Weekly for 1+ year
Reviewed on 11/5/2019

The most significant thing with this product is efficient. I adore everything about FreshBooks. It is a great application for specialists and little organizations. I have been utilizing it for as long as couple of years and rate it the best programming in the market. At whatever point I had issues, the help group helped me to determine them rapidly with successful arrangements.

Pros

Probably the main motivations we picked FreshBooks over other programming: *Incredibly smooth and simple to utilize interface *Ability to mark your own in hues just as include your logo *Each client can be doled out their own charging gateway login and you can have various customers under one organization however each have diverse username *Utilizes Braintree instalments (our essential vendor processor)
FreshBooks is quick and dependable suite for accounting.FreshBooks is an honour winning money and bookkeeping programming and a standout amongst the best cloud answers for entrepreneurs. It is the present holder of Finances Online's Best Accounting Software Award for 2016 just as the Supreme Software Award for 2016, and has the most noteworthy consumer loyalty rates of all comparative applications in this classification. As you will discover in this survey, there is a not insignificant rundown of reasons why our specialists considered FreshBooks for these esteemed affirmations.

Cons

*Reporting could be improved *Needs better compromise as far as parities. You can do day by day monetary records, yet I would prefer to have it ascertain how my business is getting along dependent on capital in our present record, at that point factor in what we earned and our costs. *Not useful for organizations that have stock, need stock administration (this I wouldn't really rate as a con nonetheless, on the grounds that Freshbooks was constructed and intended for SERVICE style organizations - for that it works incredible) *Reporting can't be opened in the portable application, you have to get to it through the program *To my insight, you can't maintain different organizations out of one record. We as of now have two organizations and are choosing on the off chance that we are going to open up a different Freshbooks account or if there is another choice that is more qualified for the second business.

Chris S.
Industry: Graphic Design
Company size: Self Employed

Improvements need to keep coming ....

Reviewed on 27/12/2018

I've been a FreshBooks customer for YEARS and I do like them. I've ridden it out through all the changes and just dealt with how interfaces change and prices change. In the past few years there have been a lot more freelancer payment management systems that have come along. I've looked around, but I find myself staying with what is comfortable even though something else may be better. Fear of the unknown I guess, and not wanting to learn a new system while I'm busy working. I just think there could be some improvements made since the last major interface update. It was like a whole OS upgrade and then no new updates for the past few years -- other than pricing tier changes. There is no sense that FreshBooks is looking to improve and listen to their customers about what features they need or would like to see. Just my opinion and view. I could be very wrong. Thanks.

Pros

Over the years, FreshBooks has made efforts to improve its service and update the levels of programs. The latest change they made to the interface has improved some things but other parts have been left behind and I've personally not seen any updates or changes in the past few years. What I like MOST is what they started with years ago -- the ability to remind clients at the 30, 60, 90 day marks to pay their bills. However, the interface to set that feature up changed a few years ago with their major update and it's not as intuitive now.

Cons

I do NOT like the timer starting off before you even choose what project you are working on. This is a SIMPLE FIX. I asked about it years ago and was told that -- yah, basically you launch the timer and then click the pause button while you work out what project you are on -- then start the timer again. Not a good design.

I do NOT like setting up a new project and having a ton of task all added to this new project that I have to deselect -- about 20 or so that I have to remove each time -- and then add in the correct task for that project.

I do NOT like having to deal with setting default payment settings and reminders for each client I set-up. Can't that just be a universal default setting to turn on?

I do NOT like having service tiers change and being told the level I was previously on is changing and this new level will cost more -- and that's what I have to accept now. I'm a independent contractor and I have few clients -- I don't need the next level. But ... whatever.

Erica B.
Company size: Self Employed

Stellar customer service. Simple interface.

Reviewed on 18/12/2018

FreshBooks helps me do the essential tasks of invoices and expenses while also helping me get a big picture view of my business's financial health.

Pros

I started my freelance business nearly 3 years ago, and after initial struggles with Quickbooks (I even had a 2-hour training session with a Quickbooks instructor who just further confused me), I put off dealing with the financial side of my business for over a year (until my CPA was hounding me for tax stuff). Upon the recommendation of another freelancing friend, I decided to give FreshBooks a try. I finally got FreshBooks up and running, and I was amazed at how much it relieved my stress, rather than adding to it. The basic setup is simple and straight-forward, but as my business has grown, I've been impressed with little tricks built into FreshBooks that helps me save time and get a better overall view of my business.

Also, I don't think I've ever experienced such consistently helpful and friendly customer service. Any time I call with a question, the person on the phone is empowered to help me out.

Cons

There are even more integrations and advancements that I think FreshBooks could offer to be even better. Here are a few examples:

+ I'd love to be able to do some kind of forecasting of income based either on draft invoices for project currently in the works, or estimates that have been accepted.

+ I wish I could set up estimates so clients could accept/reject specific line items so that I could send one estimate with different options, rather than multiple different estimates.

+ I wish I could apply discounts to specific line items in the invoices rather than the subtotal of the entire invoice so I could discount my services without discounting passed-along expenses I incur.

I've shared such feedback and other minor requests with the FreshBooks team, and they've sounded receptive, so I hope updates/upgrades like these will one day be available.

Free accounting apps never worked for me. Finally bit the bullet and am in major LOVE w Freshbooks.

Reviewed on 29/7/2018

Pros

This might make me sound superficial but the first thing I loved about Freshbooks was the interface. The icons, the buttons, the way everything looks is so so appealing to me. And it made me want to use the trial version (I did this a little more than 1 year ago). Using it made me feel like I was getting my financial act together. Which it later did, btw.

The time tracker is the best... time saver for me. It records time and then adds everything together in a way that nothing else really did. It seems so obvious but nothing I was using before helped track my hours this way. This is the thing that used to drive me round the bend when it came time to invoicing clients. I used to delay invoicing (aka "getting paid") because my own system was terrible..and I could not find a better way until finally deciding that maybe I needed to pay for something to help me.

I like the notes section for the time entries. I like how flexible it is to shift recorded time entries around or update the text to better describe what work I actually did.

I also love the support from Freshbooks. They're super responsive and extremely helpful. They do not waste my time with a lot of blather I've experienced in so many other customer service situations (like repeating back to me the question I just proferred). They include screenshots and precise language to answer my questions.

Also: Expenses in FB. I now go out of my way to add in expenses as they come w/o avoiding them.

Cons

I recommended Freshbooks to a friend of mine who started using it right away. Then he had trouble with a really difficult client he'd billed using Freshbooks. This client (I subcontracted with the friend so am aware of what all happened) contested all of my friend's work and refused payment after paying the Freshbooks invoice. And Freshbooks allowed the chargeback to happen. I think other software does not allow this --- for example, my friend now uses Quickbooks as a result.

I have also experienced some quirks when it came to adding new jobs to repeat clients. This is likely my own error but it's not something I've cared to reach out to the support team to question.

I also have not downloaded a year's incoming and outgoing details to give to an accountant. So I don't know how well that all works. Again, my own thing, and not necessarily on them.

Randall B.
Industry: Higher Education
Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

FreshBooks provides small businesses with some of the best invoicing and billing features available.

Reviewed on 12/7/2018

Billing and invoicing were made much easier using this software.

Pros

FreshBooks gives small businesses a well-designed and intuitive user interface that can easily be used for a variety of different functions, most notably billing, and invoicing. Users are given a wide array of attractive template designs to choose from when creating invoices, allowing for catchy, yet professional looking documents.

FreshBooks also provides users with tools for team collaboration, estimates, and projects, all of which can be easily navigated and set up to increase your small businesses' ability to maximize communication, send automatic reminders, submit proposals, and secure jobs with relative ease.

As an accounting package, FreshBooks also provides users with the ability to perform some fundamental bookkeeping and accounting functions, has some bank reconciliation functions, enables you to accept online credit card payments, and provides many of these features via their full-featured mobile application.

Last but not least, FreshBooks provides excellent customer service from the start. A detailed and easily followed tutorial will help new users get started, while their well-trained staff is always ready to provide users with answers to any questions or issues they may encounter. FreshBooks is very proud of their customer service and their customer satisfaction rating, and it really shows when you speak with one of their representatives.

Cons

One limitation in FreshBooks as an accounting package is the fact that they utilize single-entry accounting. While this may not be an obvious flaw to a new small business owner, it will become apparent as more accounts are created, employees are hired, and payment options are implemented. Single-entry accounting is quick and simple, but it certainly leaves something to be desired.

Over the years some application updates have diminished or completely removed some useful features, like service and customer records, and inventory tracking, all of which were very convenient and helpful features.

Richard I.

Great product paired to the friendliest support in financial software.

Reviewed on 18/5/2018

The biggest benefit we receive is how easy it is to send invoices and get paid online. Freshbooks makes this a lot easier than some of the other solutions we've tried over the years.

Pros

Freshbooks is a simple and straight-forward accounting solution. It's delivered with relatively small amount of standard accounting categories so you're not overwhelmed placing expenses into their proper buckets and adding new categories is quite easy.

Our business doesn't have a ton of complex expenses - and if yours does, Freshbooks might not be a good fit. What we love about Freshbooks is how straight-forward their invoicing system has been. It's easy to create recurring invoicing and it integrates with popular credit card processors to facilitate easy online payments.

Perhaps the attribute that has kept us with Freshbooks through the years is their customer service - it's amazing. Customer service has always been super friendly, easy to understand, and they always seen eager to help. This interest and willingness to be helpful goes a long way.

Cons

The only con we've experienced with Freshbooks is their limited subscription levels. We've exceed their standard top level package but we're not quite big enough to financially justify a custom/enterprise package. It seems Freshbooks is ideal for customers with a lot of recurring transactions - which, we have more individual transactions than recurring so this is part of our problem. Regardless, Freshbooks staff has always been quite helpful in offering up solutions to help us make the most of our subscription limits (500 active clients).

Gaurav C.

FreshBooks is a reliable and fast accounting suite for complex financial management

Used Monthly for 1-5 months
Reviewed on 12/1/2018

A complete makeover

FreshBooks developers understand the struggle of small teams to handle complex accounting projects and deliver efficient results.

Just as easy as you know it to be

Back in the days, a team of developers decided to design an easy, intuitive, and non-accountant friendly finance management app, and promised their users that this approach will never change.

Mobile-friendly and accessible

FreshBooks is considerably good at following trends, and the best proof of it are the mobile platform add-ons for iOS and Android devices, allowing you to access data and do accounting regardless of your location.

Saves billing time like no other app

FreshBooks redesigned its time tracking for billing purposes by allowing companies to accept payment online, and to do so via various payment gateways.

Excellent invoice to payment features

FreshBooks offers top rate invoice to payment features that can be used by all small businesses. For instance, you can track exactly when your customer opened your invoice email.

Tracking expenses with handy snaps

This feature comes handy if you need to liquidate expenses after a client meeting: you simply click a picture of the receipt and attach the snap to an item in FreshBooks to log the expense.

racking working times even better than before

The new version of the app allows you to becertain of the accuracy of your charges, and lets you have proof if a client decides to dispute them. You can even use the iOS and Android apps to track your working time in the field. Plus, it is easy to convert your work timesheet into an invoice and send it to clients for payments.

A bright future

As good as the new FreshBooks version may look now, it has only begun to develop. The company promises many advanced features in the near future, including bank accounts reconciliation, non-invoice income recording, and billing adjusted to enterprise-grade users. The innovative spirit is planned to spread on to reporting as well, and transform the scope of available integrations to help companies get paid for their efforts, time, and expertise. At the same time, FreshBooks Classic (as the old version is currently known) will remain active, but will constantly be absorbed within the new one's comprehensive productive suite.

Pros

businesses get to manage invoices and recurring subscriptions in less than no time, and collect online payments within the same system. In fact, FreshBooks enables Google Checkout, PayPal, and credit card payments, and integrates with a long list of business systems and applications that can streamline this process. With it, odds are good that you will unite financial control in a single system, and stop paying for the maintenance of complex software infrastructure.

A considerable advantage of FreshBooks compared to other accounting apps is the availability of fully-functional mobile apps and add-ons you can get for Android and iOS devices. The apps allow you to bring the power and convenience of the software on location, and do accounting and access records whenever you wish to do so. As you can see, FreshBooks literally takes finances out of the office, but does so in a safe and seamless fashion.

Cons

Despite a wide range of excellent features users have pointed out a few minor things that can be improved in FreshBooks: its metrics, goal setting, and reporting features can be better. One user also found bugs in FreshBooks email click-throughs and automated expenses which did not function to his liking. Apart from these insignificant glitches, hoever, there is no doubt that FreshBooks is a top notch accounting product that can bring a lot to your accounting deparatament.

Alexandra R.
Industry: Design

Freshbooks is the perfect solutions for service based businesses

Reviewed on 26/11/2015

We've used Freshbooks for quite sometime now in our business. When searching for billing software, I needed something smoothe, mobile and also that allowed for customer portals that could be branded to our company. This was a big deal for us, so we absolutely wanted to make sure it was a feature in whatever software it was and Freshbooks did just that.

Freshbooks is super easy to use and handles everything from the customer accounts, to the invoicing to recurring charges and credits. At the end of the year, all the clients get a statement of their services they have paid for, and they never have to contact us about anything. They can review their bills at any time, and also accept estimates that are put together. It also is fabulous for integrations, and we currently use Google Apps, Gusto HQ and a few others to make it that much more effective.

Pros

Some of the biggest reasons we chose Freshbooks over other software:

*Incredibly smooth and easy to use interface
*Ability to brand your own in colors as well as add your logo
*Each customer can be assigned their own billing portal login and you can have multiple clients under one company but each have different username
*Utilizes Braintree payments (our primary merchant processor)
*Integrates with Google Apps and Gusto HQ
*Flat rate for up to 5 users, we currently use the Might Oak Plan
*Team tracking and hour logging for projects (huge deal since we work with contractors and they also have a free contractor add on option)
*Mobile App is killer - I pop off invoices like it's nobody's business :)

Cons

*Reporting could be improved
*Needs better reconciliation in terms of balances. You can do daily balance sheets, but I would rather have it calculate how my business is doing based on capital in our current account, then factor in what we earned and our expenses.
*Not good for businesses that have inventory, need inventory management (this I wouldn't necessarily rate as a con however, because Freshbooks was built and designed for SERVICE style businesses - for that it works great)
*Reporting can't be opened in the mobile app, you need to access it via the browser
*To my knowledge, you can't run multiple businesses out of one account. We currently have two businesses and are deciding if we are going to open up a separate Freshbooks account or if there is another option that's better suited for the second business.

Subhojit S.
Industry: Accounting

Fresh Book Cloud Computing

Reviewed on 8/8/2020

Fresh Book is easy to use accounting software. It has smart features that take charge of all the accounting applications. It is comparatively cheaper to other software. The small entrepreneurs gets immense satisfaction from the use of FreshBooks despite few constraints.

Pros

It is one of the most popular world wide cloud computing application. It is helpful to small categories of entreprenuers. It has smart features of Accounting having comprehensive applications of Invoices, Expenses, Time Tracking, Mobile, Projects, Estimates, Payments and Reports. It set the business in Autopilot. It keep the client focussed and first by producing correct billing within the timeline.It gives stable cash flow along with the upcoming workload and income Any changes in the project is highlighted which may cause any impact on the business along with the new budget. Generate regular summary reports to keep the client first and updated. It is the one easy tool that keep tracks to invoices and expenses and reports without any fail.

Cons

The biggest drawbacks of Fresh Books are the term section of the invoice. It is not user-based. Any change in the terms of a particular invoice leads to change all the future invoices. The term amendment is client-based. Manual operation is always needed to keep the term of the invoice on track.
When the number of clients increases, the user look for more add-in option which becomes costlier.
The mobile App needs more updating as some of the features do not work well.
The reporting of data is not adequate as it does not have hyperlinks.
The application needs more options for the late fees which are not adequate.
Need addition of projects to make it smoother for the clients.

Melissa B.
Industry: Nonprofit Organisation Management

Super easy to use; I would love a few additions

Reviewed on 19/12/2018

Compared with the prior bookkeeping system I used, I've saved a lot of time with FreshBooks, in training (as noted above) and in actual entries. I can generate CSV/Excel sheets that allow me to do some customized reporting. My clients like the easy online payment process for credit card.

Pros

A professional colleagues introduced me to FreshBooks about 4 years ago. Since then I've had four different part-time assistants (they leave for full-time work!) and each has mastered FBs in a few days, not weeks as was the case with a competing product that I used previously. It is very comprehensive and also customizable for tasks, clients, projects, and expense categories. It interfaces cleanly with a payment system, so that my clients who prefer to pay by credit card can do so with no hassles. I also like the APIs that pull expense info from my bank account transactions and business credit card charges.

Cons

I am based in the US, so there are a few things I would like to help complete our tax returns more easily: 1) a way to track the actual miles driven on the expense side. I do it now in a note but it is cumbersome. 2) a way to track expenses associated with a project but not billable to that project. I do it now by setting up two project titles, but I can only link those manually (actually, offline completely). An example would be some of my assistant's time that I can't bill the client for but that I would like to track so I can better estimate future project expenses, because it fits into "cost of goods sold" (when the "good" is our service).

Hana P.
Industry: Consumer Services

Freshbooks is Worth the Money Spent, Could Use Some Improvements

Reviewed on 17/9/2020

Overall, I am satisfied with Freshbooks. It is helpful to have contractors track their time in an efficient way, as well as invoice and bill clients. There are also 3rd party platforms that integrate with Freshbooks to make workflows easier (Basecamp, Mailform, Hubspot).

Pros

Invoicing and billing is easy with Freshbooks. I like the recurring billing feature, automatic payments for clients, and the ability to track time against projects.

Cons

I have been using this platform for a long time and like it better than others, like Harvest. However, I dislike the following:
-That when a project is archived by an administrator, contractors assigned to the projects can still access it and track time on it. Since the project does not come up on the administrator's end, this can go on for months without the administrator realizing. This causes inaccurate time tracking and has led us to go over hours on several projects
-There is not a more simple way to merge contacts. Sometimes duplicates happen when Freshbooks integrates with another platform, like Hubspot. Also, sometimes more than one contact is saved for the same company. There is not a simple way to merge them without entering and deleting manually.
-For recurring invoices, you have to select how many invoices are "remaining," which gets confusing. If you want to send 5 monthly invoices, does the first invoice count as a "remaining" invoice or should you select that you are sending 4 "remaining" invoices? There should be a way to just choose an end date

Jon M.
Industry: Hospital & Health Care

A SaaS using Freshbooks API

Reviewed on 18/11/2016

Prior to integrating with Freshbooks (FB), we evaluated a handful other vendors to use for our billing/invoicing integration (bookkeeping wasn't a concern at the time) and found that the other guys simply didn't handle subscription billing, taxes, and/or automated billing like we needed. During the integration about a year ago, I was blown away with FB's customer service. How many companies these days have a human answering the phone within one or two rings? That's right - no auto attendant, no leaving voicemail necessary.

These guys make customer service a priority, hands down - and it's some of the best I've ever seen. Here's an example: a few weeks ago when a DoS attack brought down DNS for much of the internet, FB was affected. I hadn't seen the news, so I called FB to report the problem. During this giant outage where I know they had to be receiving an enormous volume of calls, a live FB operator answered the phone within one or two rings and explained the DNS issue. Logistically I don't know how they pulled that off, but I was impressed.

So nothing's perfect, right? Here's the bad - and the reason for only 4 starts on the features/functionality. While we weren't initially looking for a bookeeping package initially, we ended up using FB for this, too. While it's easy to use and does a great job overall, it is missing a key component - the ability to reconcile with the bank. So the task of generating balance sheets & account reconciliation has to occur outside of FB. If you're a big business, this would likely be a deal breaker. I've read there's an update in the works that adds this functionality, and I'm really looking forward to it - but as of the time this is written, it's not been made available to me.

All in all, this is a great accounting package - super easy to set up & use, amazing API functionality, outstanding customer service, with one potential hiccup for some clients which hopefully will soon be resolved.

Pros

API, customer service, recurring billing & autopay functionality

Cons

No bank reconcilation