OnBase

Enterprise content management solution

4.3 /5 (57 reviews) Write a Review!
4.3
4.2
4.1
Industry: Education Management

Best ECM software on the market with great workflow capability

Reviewed on 13/12/2017

Drastically improved workflow processes and document management/retention.

Pros

Best workflow engine I have ever seen, allows point and click configurable workflows with almost no need for custom scripting (though that is an option). The way it organizes document types is the best I have seen and has a LOT of capabilities for integrating with other line of business systems. The interface is very modern looking as long as you are using the desktop Unity Client or the Web based client. They also offer mobile applications that work very well.

Cons

Though the scanning features are very good and getting better the forms recognition still isn't as good as most dedicated scanning applications. Also the cost of OnBase tends to be higher than many others but I do find that you get what you pay for.

Denny S.
Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

Using OnBase in Higher Education

Reviewed on 1/10/2018

Within the Registrar's Office, we utilize OnBase and it's ability to use OCR functionality to capture information from students' transcripts for input into our student information system. This alone eliminates dozens of hours of manual labor each week. On top of that, it is a reliable, quick, enterprise imaging solution.

Pros

OnBase provides a feature-rich imaging solution that is beloved on our campus. In addition to being a solid imaging solution, OnBase features a powerful workflow engine that allows for easy automation of processes.

Cons

Depending upon how it is being used, the number of options can be somewhat intimidating. However, once a user is briefed on how to utilize the system and its tools, this is no longer an issue.

Sonya B.

Great software

Reviewed on 19/1/2019

Pros

First when I was learning about this software, I learned that so much can be done just in this system. Its so flexible that it can be used for accounting, hr, etc. The main page of this software is build-able and can be used to keep track of employees progress.

Cons

Sometimes this software freezes when you scroll around through multiple thing. You have to restart the program many times.

Industry: Insurance
Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

OnBase is a versatile, robust electronic document management system. I have been continually pleased

Reviewed on 22/12/2017

It doesn't seem obvious, but implementing this software helped us standardize our business processes. Obvious benefits are that we were able to streamline processes and keep our business documentation in one place.

Pros

OnBase is very versatile, so it can be configured to work within you environment, whatever it looks like.

Cons

Because it is so versatile, trying to figure out exactly how to build it out can be a bit confounding. Sometimes it's simpler to take a canned version of a thing and implement it, but that isn't usually the best bet.

Industry: Staffing & Recruiting

LOVE THIS SOFTWARE

Reviewed on 26/3/2019

Pros

I used this software while working for a credit union and we were really working about the implementation/switch but honestly it was so smooth besides a few system bugs. That's where their awesome customer service comes in.

Cons

I really don't have much to report that I didn't like. Maybe just the speed of the system, but that can always be because of network connectivity issues.

Simplify your life with Onbase

Reviewed on 16/9/2018

I use OnBase whenever a department needs to know if a check is cashed. I type the check number and immediately I can view an image of the check.

Pros

It is easy to use, great storage capability. We use to store images of checks and it can store the information for many years.

Cons

The new version of OnBase makes item more difficult to view.

Leslie S.

Used for scanning documents.

Reviewed on 15/5/2018

Pros

Ease of use, searching is easy. My dept. has scanned thousands and thousands of documents: personnel files, applicant documents, etc.

Cons

After documents are scanned, you have to manually commit or release each document. Very time consuming and hard on the wrist (using mouse to click multiple times). Editing is a little cumbersome.

Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

Great file maintenance software for HR records. Click-heavy, but easy to organize.

Used Weekly for 1+ year
Reviewed on 12/5/2018

Pros

OnBase is easy to organize records by team member and subcategory. It's easy to find what you need and user friendly.

Cons

The software is a bit click heavy, and could be a bit more intuitive. Not a major issue as it's still very simple.

Rosalyn T.

I use OnBase as respository for application in the process of being reviewed; the interface is great

Used Other for 6-12 months
Reviewed on 15/6/2017

Pros

What I like most about OnBase is that the interface is clear and simple. What you see is what you get.

Cons

What I don't like about the software is that it is hard to navigate. Getting from different screens can have you lost and unsure of how to get back to your original location.

Cheikh B.
Industry: Computer Software

OnBase on the way to being a better content manager

Reviewed on 9/1/2021

No more wasting time looking for a PDF, whatever its storage duration.

Pros

For me, the OnBase software is a must for keeping copies of purchase orders in one go and securely.

OnBase is very easy to master. It's a good tool for keeping track of your PDF files if there are many of them, because once the import is done, retrieving the files becomes very easy with the OnBase search.

So we can say that it is the tool you need to get organised if you have a lot of files.

Cons

In practice, I don't see many problems on OnBase except that the drag and drop shortcut is non-existent which delays the work a little.

What's more, it doesn't seem that Onbase support does not master complex network configurations and dependencies, because the waiting time is very long sometimes.

Marishia Q.

My A/P program

Reviewed on 6/2/2019

I am a vendor analyst in accounts payable, and this is one of our main programs.

Pros

This is an effective program for accounts payable and is easy to learn and manipulate data for entry.

Cons

This program is easy to problem shoot should an issue occur, and I see nothing difficult about it's performance.

Erica T.
Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

OnBase is used in my daily tasks to view documents

Reviewed on 29/5/2018

Being able to see student documents on site and off site when needed to evaluate and assess their files appropriately.

Pros

OnBase makes it easy to view student documents and files to evaluate student files and assess their transcripts. Saving and printing documents when needed is easy to do as well. This system makes my job easier.

Cons

The document not found area is a bit hard to understand, however once you learn the system it is easy to figure out.

Angela B.
Industry: Information Technology & Services
Company size: 5,001-10,000 Employees

Advanced platform for content management

Used Other for 1+ year
Reviewed on 17/8/2019

If I talk about the benefits of using this product. I would say it is playing a vital role in our organization. Also I would say they have responsive customer support.

Pros

It has been an excellent product for content management. With the assistance of this product we can change over unstructured information into an organized one that contains numbers, dates and certainties so as to improve the information conveyance and generally correspondence in a specific association and companies. I would say it is a useful product.

Cons

It has been long time using this versatile tool. It is great that I have not ever come across any major problem. It always gives perfect services. I am a satisfied user of Onbase.

Lee M.

OnBase

Reviewed on 11/12/2019

In addition to allowing our institution to securely store and safely access student records, the newest user interface and features are easier to use. I'm not sure if our institution purchased some upgraded features in OnBase or if it itself has had an upgrade and facelift, but it seems to be running faster and with the clearly labeled icon/tools using OnBase has only gotten easier. It's great!

Pros

I think OnBase's newer colorful web-based appearance and interface is a bug PLUS! The interface and functionality is much more user friendly and I love the ability to create my own Favorites so I can quickly jump to the specific user pages/information that I need and use most often.

Cons

Honestly there aren't really any negatives about OnBase that I can think of. I guess if I had to say anything negative it is that I have not had formal training in using OnBase and could learn more about its newer features (so user error or lack of learning more on my part). I'm using it right now and it's great...I usually only use a few features to perform the tasks I need to when searching for student records/documents and after clicking around to see what I might dislike about it I actually found another feature I love about it! - the Query History tool is super cool! To be able to see a list of my most recent searches is yet another feature I like about OnBase!

Solange C.
Company size: 10,000+ Employees

Versatile system, but still has a few limitations

Reviewed on 2/8/2018

Centralized document retention and management cloud based system

Pros

The ability to be Green and scan emails, word docs, excel spreadsheets directly into onbase without having to print the items first

Cons

The user unfriendliness of generating statistical reports from the system requires the assistance of an administrator. Everyday users are not able to easily configure reports. Also administrators are sometimes unable to generate adhoc reports

Industry: Government Administration

Good Paperless Option

Reviewed on 18/9/2018

OnBase made the conversion to paperless relatively seamless for my office.

Pros

OnBase offers a lot of great features that make it easy for users to adapt to working with scans of the documents, rather than the documents themselves. It offers several options for organizing, searching, and file managing.

Cons

At times it can be difficult to navigate - and can be rather intimidating without proper training. But with proper training, it's pretty easy to use.

Likelihood to recommend: 7.0/10

Raul S.

Resold via Wausau IMS

Reviewed on 18/5/2017

Pros

Very modular and customizeable. Very solid software. The IMS support is excellent and responsive.

Cons

I get the best support from Wausau. If there is an issue that is refererd to Hyland then it takes a while to get resolved

Christopher R.
Industry: Nonprofit Organisation Management

Don't Try Anything Mobile or Remote

Reviewed on 21/2/2020

Terrible.

Pros

The ability to generate and query digitized documents was powerful.

Cons

Where to begin? If you're attempting to leverage this program for mobile document generation and/or signature gathering, look elsewhere! Numerous issues with sustaining sessions and maintaining connectivity. Furthermore, the error messaging is atrocious! End-users, myself included, constantly report not being able to successfully save documents or the program hanging on submission without any type of error messaging. Also, creating new forms is a nightmare! The number of places where profiles and and different data objects have to be created to get forms to correctly pass information is absurd. There's also no easy way to build upon old forms so you're stuck having to reinvent the wheel each time you may have a subtle difference or different process/user flow for an updated form.

Likelihood to recommend: 0.0/10

Brian F.
Industry: Information Technology & Services

Reliable customer tracking software

Reviewed on 20/3/2019

The support at Hyland is great and they can find workarounds for all issues.

Pros

Onbase is a front end for a database system that can track customers in unique industries where other software does not meet customer needs. The software interface is reliable and easy to navigate. Best of all it is highly customizable. Reporting off of the database tables can be tricky as they are not named logically but by codes/numbers.

Cons

Licensing per user is a expensive. Frequent updates/service patches that require vendor support.

Great for document management

Reviewed on 19/9/2018

This is a great program for anyone trying to go green. It's a time saver for me which is key in my work area.

Pros

I use this everyday to access documents for credentialing, I really love the fact that everything is all in one place for me to find. Document management is key and saves me time.

Cons

Make sure you get the right training, this program can be a bit confusing until you know what your doing and where your going.

Company size: 5,001-10,000 Employees

Document Correction

Used Other for 1+ year
Reviewed on 20/4/2019

Pros

I like the Integration with Epic and the many features that come with it.

Cons

Unity Client and the document correction workflow could be improved, allowing it to be more user friendly.

Likelihood to recommend: 7.0/10

Parish P.

Document imaging application

Used Monthly for 2+ years
Reviewed on 18/2/2019

Pros

OnBase is a great document imaging application that allows you to view, scan, index, and retrieve patient related documents and correspondence. The software also has the functionality of worklist.

Cons

There is not much I do not like about the OnBase software.

Chuck S.
Industry: Mechanical or Industrial Engineering

Support needs training.

Reviewed on 15/8/2017

Great for document control.

Pros

Handles documents great. You can see logs and checkout of documents of who used the documents. Handles this very good.

Cons

Workflow is an add on that is expensive and you have to buy everything as an add on and it's always in the 1000's plus 20% yearly fee.

Likelihood to recommend: 5.0/10

OnBase as a Documents Respository and Retrieval

Reviewed on 16/4/2020

Overall, I'm still learning the tool, but I do see the upsides to its use.

Pros

I like most all the features this software has to offer, and its modularity. While OnBase can do MANY things, a company only has to purchase the modules relevant to them.

Cons

What I like least is how to do some simple actions, you have to open and use 3 different applications. While developing forms and workflows, you constantly have to jump back and forth between the apps.

Likelihood to recommend: 6.0/10

Randy Z.

OnBase has gone downhill

Reviewed on 25/7/2018

Pros

all in one document and workflow management software, but the pros end there.
OnBase 13 was great, OnBase 17 not so much

Cons

we upgraded from OnBase 13 to OnBase 17 and let me tell you it is a disaster. OnBase 17 is slower substantially in every category. We are using a click once install, now it has to check the server every time you open, word, or excel, outlook or even OnBase itself for a new version, which sounds great, but this can take 30-45 seconds EVERYTIME you want to open a document. Switching from inbox to related items is very slow, 6-10 seconds, which doesn't seem like a lot, but over the course of a day where you do this 70 times, well you do the math for wasted productivity. And then there is the Random errors that constantly come up on a users system that has worked just fine for months, but there is no solution to that either. Hyland support is virtually non existent, their only solutions are run this software utility that they have. Nothing is ever resolved, they just keep "kicking the can down the road", or tell us to update to version 18. sorry after this disaster our next upgrade will be to something else. Our business users are screaming to go back to version 13.