Wave Payroll

Payroll solution for small businesses

4.4 /5 (49 reviews) Write a Review!

Britta N.
  • Industry: Nonprofit Organisation Management

Reviewed on 30/4/2021

Overall the experience has been a great one, it has been reliable for the last year.

Pros

I use this to check my payroll and keep a schedule for payments, it is easy and user-friendly plus there is a direct deposit option so employees are not getting paper stubs.

Cons

The software is probably better suited for smaller companies, after a certain number you will be charged for additional users.

Aisha L.

I have been using WaveApp For 2 years

Reviewed on 25/6/2018

Pros

I absolutely love Waveapp. It is easy to use to manage my client invoices, estimates, employee payroll, and track business expenses.

Cons

The only drawback is waiting several days for funds to be transferred to your bank account. When my clients make a payment, I get a notification that I have been paid, however, those funds take a few days before they actually show up in my bank. It would be great if Waveapp was a bank as well.

Jenifer N.
  • Industry: Maritime

Reviewed on 21/8/2018

Have great success at accounting, banking and my payroll just got easier. I can print reports. Very Happy. Wave On

Pros

Its Free and very easy to use. Many options.

Cons

Haven't found any issues with the software

Tonya K.

No More Payroll Headaches

Reviewed on 20/6/2019

This software has saved me a ton of time and frustration. When I have questuins they respnd quickly to help me out.

Pros

This sodtware makes it simple to do payroll for my company. The handle all of the taxes and scheduling of payroll liability payments. I love that they automatically fill out my employee tax forms.

Cons

The only thing I don’t like is that I can’t set up payroll to run automatically each week. You need to run payroll and approve it. My employees are salary so the pay is the same each week.

• Industry: Entertainment

One of my favorite pieces of Wave Apps!

Reviewed on 13/2/2018

Pros

The Payroll section of Wave is wonderful. After getting it setup it only takes minutes to enter in timesheets and run it.

Kalman G.

This is very DIY and was missing important things

Reviewed on 15/1/2020

Pros

Price. Seemed like less $ than other services. We were using Wave for accounting and that software has more good things going. For someone with a DIY mentality around Taxes and regulatory alignment, I guess this could be ok.

Cons

They missed some notes about things we need to file and it cost us money and time.

• Company size: 5,001-10,000 Employees

Free but hidden problems

Reviewed on 15/3/2018

Pros

Best thing about it is that it is free but the features are amazing for a free tool. It has a dashboard that allows you to see charts for overdue invoices, bank accounts and credit cards. The invoice templates are great, as this makes it easy to use and you can customized them too. Great way to track and use.

Cons

My biggest problem was customer support, very limited and useless. There is a hidden fee that is not mentioned which should be disclosed. A bit of a trust issue with this system.

Nadim N.

Great people, great service

Reviewed on 11/8/2015

I have been utilizing Wave's services for a while now. It started with invoicing only and I have since upgraded to Payroll by Wave. Their communication and services are both excellent, as well as their pricing. I recommend any small business owner to make use of their services. You speak to real people and they are very at tentative and knowledgeable. They even go out of their way to help find solutions to your questions they don'e "have to answer". Great experience.

Anyugel M.

Reviewed on 9/5/2018

Pros

the service is rally easy to use and manage, even for those people, like me, without background in payroll management

Cons

It is really ugly and you can't customize the features and the service, because it doesn't left you enough control over the payroll

Lindsay M.

Reviewed on 24/2/2018

Linda J.

I found it very intuitive to use and set up.

Reviewed on 16/11/2017

Pros

It does everything I need it to. I found it very easy to set up invoices, online payment options for clients, recurring billing for clients, and more.

Rolland V.

Set-up lengthy and painful

Reviewed on 29/11/2017

Pros

The tool has nice features and a nice dashboard, that is it really.

Cons

They ask for personal information which is irrelevant for the product, especially when in 2017 the keep telling young to give your personal information liberally.

Shaun d S.

If was any simpler it'd be illegal

Reviewed on 18/7/2018

Super simple. We were actually able to get everything set-up in 4 hours, not missing a beat, employees were paid on time and reporting cash in - cash out doesn't require a degree from MIT.

Pros

I can't even begin to say how SIMPLE it is! I was looking for something that my Daughter and Wife could use to do AR/AP as well as payroll. It took me literally 4 hours to get 237 employees added with their payroll information. Didn't miss a payday :-)

Cons

The invoicing was/is clunky. You only have 3 designs to choose from. I haven't found a way to import designs from another invoicing software that I was using. I'd kind of like to just have one......but it's not too important right now.

Lawrence D.
  • Industry: Environmental Services

Nice on the eyes, poor on performance

Reviewed on 18/12/2020

You get what you pay for. Great for when things were super, super simple, but at 11 employees, I'm ready to ditch for something that can really help us when we really need it to just work. Wave doesn't.

Pros

User-facing pages are nice looking, invoices and other docs look professional.

Cons

Customer service is mainly by chatting with a bot. They have no help pages. The bot is generally useless and we have to eventually email for support. They have no phone support at all. Off-boarding a dismissed employee makes it look as if they have not thought through the process. Beneath this all the time is the constant annoyance with how long every operation takes. Their site is noticeable slow compared to many others, and for just about everything.

Kamilah J.
  • Industry: Law Practice

I love Wave

Reviewed on 6/2/2018

Pros

I love Wave! It is awesome. The payroll feature is easy to use and the transaction tagging is very easy.

Cons

I do not have very many complaints if any at all. The support staff responds very quickly to any issues or concerns that a user may have.

Juan carlos A.

Simple and easy to use as their name!

Reviewed on 3/10/2017

We appreciate the web based option for sheets to allow our remote workforce to access timecards, time off requests, and pay stubs from their locations

Pros

No longer have to fill out and turn in paper time sheets. Its very easy to use for all level employees.

Cons

At the end of every week it takes about 6 hours to punch in and key all missed punches from employees. But I do recommend the use of this software.

Holly P.

Love this software!

Reviewed on 24/4/2018

Pros

I have been using this for payroll and book keeping for the last several years. It is super easy to use and has almost all the features I need. I create T4s on it and can invoice clients!

Cons

I wish it could allow staff access to enter their own hours then I could approve them. This feature would make a big difference!

Geoff J.

The BEST, most simple accounting software

Reviewed on 7/3/2019

With wave accounting I am able to easily create invoices and bills. I am able to effortlessly pay contractors & employees with direct deposit.

Pros

Ease of use, customer service, price, features & design.

Cons

Some solutions require a work around that is not intuitive.

Kendal P.
  • Industry: Management Consulting
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

Great up and coming accounting platform

Reviewed on 27/12/2018

Pros

I started with the free version for accounting only and like the integrations in all areas of my accounting needs

Cons

It's not as intuitive as QuickBooks is. Quickbooks will start to recognize transactions over time and default categorize them for you, Wave has not caught up with that yet.

Sally N.
  • Industry: Nonprofit Organisation Management

Reviewed on 19/2/2016

Paula H.

Good Value for Basic Payroll

Reviewed on 11/8/2015

PROS:
A simple, user-friendly interface for small businesses that want to ensure they are abiding by payroll regulations. Works well when set up with direct deposit. Customer support is usually timely and quite helpful.

CONS:
Doesn't handle vacation accrual very well and does not include vacation payable in reports so manual calculation required. Somewhat inflexible regarding date changes.

Praveen G.
  • Industry: Management Consulting
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

Extremely Poor Customer Service

Reviewed on 21/1/2019

Pros

Self-service web interface is fairly easy to use. That's pretty much all I like about this application/service.

Cons

Wave Payroll's customer service is extremely poor. It's almost impossible to reach Wave Payroll agents by phone. Emails to Wave Payroll Support are sometimes do not generate a response. Agents contradict each other statements. Basically, it's a crazy house there.

Missing features of most payroll services. Many states are not supported.

Susanna N.

Quick Payrolls

Reviewed on 18/3/2019

Pros

It takes away the stress of choosing the right layout for invoices. It provides many templates to pick from and colour customizable. Entering the information for the invoice is easy to follow. It also gives you the choice to do direct deposit to your bank.

Cons

The program runs a bit slow at times, an upgrade on the speed of the website would be helpful.

Michael s T.

Good for very small business, up to 20 employees? But if you will grow, then this is not for...

Reviewed on 16/10/2019

Support is ok, but one time there was a delay on payroll from Wave's end, and it was 5PM on a friday, the support team cut us off and we were left in a lurch. Not exactly a great feeling. We will be moving off Wave as soon as we can.

We will looking at payroll in Quickbooks online, ADP/Cerdian, and BlueMarble

Pros

It is easy and straight forward to run a payroll and to setup new employees.

Cons

Reporting is terrible. I cannot run summary reports by department, YTD, so on.
It has very basic reporting, so if you are a 5 person shop, this will work. If you are going to scale and need to split costs by department, it will be painful.

Good but could be better, still new

Reviewed on 21/7/2018

Pros

They are a good value for the service, but they don't have full service payroll in many states yet and paying taxes on your own can be tough

Cons

They don't have full services payroll, and support is slow to respond. I imagine this will get better over time.