Quicken

Brings all your accounts together in one place

3.8/5
3.9/5
3.9/5
3.5/5

308 Software options

Daniel F.
  • Industry: Law Practice

stay up to date quickly with quicken

Reviewed on 3/3/2021

We first started using this back in 2003. we have used the different versions over time as they upgrade. It is great because our account is well versed in the program, and therefore it saves us time and money to do the year-end reports.

Pros

This program is very versatile. Our account appreciates the account version that we can send him to do our year ends or PPP. It saves from manually recording checks into the register, allows us to split receipts, and split how we pay. the program is easy to use, and our bookkeeper can find online help or customer service help quickly and accurately. This is a program that is worth the money, and you won't switch because the years build off of each other.

Cons

It takes a little time to understand how it works. You need to really pay attention to how you set your program up and enter the data to distinguish between vendors, clients, etc., overall a solid program accepted in the industry.

Patrick J.

Best Desktop Accounting Software

Reviewed on 28/3/2020

That software allows you to back up in the cloud and your computer. It has all the special effects at Quickbooks.

Pros

Ease of use and it allows you to add multiple businesses or personal accounts.
The price is what it should be for accounting software. Excellent Support, I used the support two times and was very impressed with the customer service.

Cons

No way that I know of to recover the password vault.

Reasons for Choosing Quicken

The price, it's significantly less than most competitors.

Quickbooks Online

Reasons for Switching to Quicken

It's the old Quicken but better.
Kandi N.
  • Industry: Veterinary

Love Quicken!

Reviewed on 8/10/2021

I have always liked Quicken, very helpful to see charts of where you’re spending money and create a budget.

Pros

Links with your bank and downloads cleared transactions.

Cons

I wish it downloaded pending transactions so your current balance is reflected in real time.

Aryana R.
  • Industry: Consumer Services
  • Used for 2+ years

quicken is inexpensive but has errors

Reviewed on 20/11/2020

I liked the price and the short learning curve to get up and running. I liked the flexible reporting available. There was a lot of trouble importing transactions which is why I stopped using it. It wouldn't import automatically and I had to download from the bank and Paypal and then upload.

Leslie J.

Good product

Reviewed on 12/8/2021

Good product but maybe could be better on cloud storage.

Pros

Easy to use on a day in day out basis. THe app is good.

Cons

Not the easiest when you are changing machines. I have used the program for a few years now and changed laptops and it is not easy to import old data.

Emerson N.
  • Industry: Staffing & Recruiting

Have used it for years, still liking it!

Reviewed on 13/2/2021

Good, easy tool to track your money, some technical issues with downloading.

Pros

Quicken quickly and efficiently tracks all my spending, earning and investments, and I have been able to link most of my accounts so it does it automatically.

Cons

Not all accounts can be linked, especially not international ones. And occasionally it has brought in duplicate transactions which are a nightmare to reconcile.

Peter M.

30-Year Quicken User

Reviewed on 2/2/2021

Intuit is so exploitive, that I would actually consider them to be immoral and I have tried many times to move to a different product, but they make it very difficult.

Pros

Of the personal finance managers, Quicken is probably the best. Other packages at or below this cost lack a majority of their features and in order to get them, you would have to upgrade to a much more expensive package, so it is at a price sweet spot.

Cons

I've been using Quicken since 1992 and consider myself quite familiar with the package. The Quicken business model is and always has been exploitive and has been adding and subtracting features for years in an attempt to always have a new product to sell. Their current subscription model is no different. However, they never improve the product. There are bugs still there that have been there since the 90's. They're reports and windows do not zoom. They do not use Windows conventions, for example keystrokes. When working properly, it provides a lot of value, but it is very easy to introduce errors into the data and impossible to fix them. Their customer support is an absolute joke. It's normally a 40-minute queue to talk to an idiot and they are so propaganda driven, that they delete any negative posts or reviews from their sites and their forum. They purposely obstruct you from transferring to their competitors. I myself have had to purchase 7 versions of the program since 2000 and that's BEFORE they moved to a subscription model. Every release introduces more bugs, but they make it impossible to freeze a particular version, constantly cutting off web access and they have Upgrade Nags constantly that you can't get rid of. And they are entirely shameless about it.

Phil H.

Serious improvement is only possible with serious measurement

Reviewed on 24/9/2020

These days we all have multiple accounts: checking, savings, investing, real estate, retirement, etc. All these accounts are necessary in today's world, however, keeping track of them all is a serious problem. Quicken is a tool that will bring all of these accounts into a single dashboard and help you stay on top of all the changes. While Quicken is an older piece of software and will probably never see a full rewrite to make it more modern, it is the only option for serious personal finance and it works well enough to get the job done.

Pros

It allows me to stay on top of my finances by downloading transactions from all my accounts into a single dashboard. It allows me to answer any question I have about my finances.

Cons

It is slow! Simple tasks like reconciling an account can be aggravating as the hourglass icon comes up way more often then it should for a simple task. I have run this on a modern Intel Core i7 processor and it is still a dog. You definitely need to be patient with this software.

Mark B.
  • Industry: Insurance
  • Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

Great financial tool! I would be lost without it!

Reviewed on 22/4/2021

I love this tool and use it daily to track all of my finances. i would be lost without it!

Pros

I love how quicken puts all of your financial companies all in one view. The biggest reason i switched from Yodlee was the fact you could add recurring future dated transactions. Many financial tracking tools do not have this. This was a make or break feature for me, as I like to see exactly how much money i will have in the bank in 30,60, 90 etc.. days in the future. Quicken does this, and does it wonderfully!

Cons

The only con I can think of is there are too many features. I am by no means a power user, and just use the basic transaction features. I do not use any of the budgeting tools or other such things, but I am sure they are very useful to others. It would be nice to see a simple mode that turned off many of those features if you are not using them

Doug A.

have to hold your nose to deal with thieving Intuit (maker of quicken)

Reviewed on 4/8/2020

it sucks; see the cons.

Pros

works most of the time but not always as upgrades have frequently broke my configured reports

Cons

they changed to a subscription service a couple years ago and force you to pay every year when I (and millions of other users) were perfectly content with the software that we already paid them for. While I hated that they were extorting a fee from me I almost got taken by them again when I went to downgrade my service to the lowest level. Their order form online starts the subscription the day you do the downgrade rather than starting it after my existing, already paid, subscription ends (which results in them stealing another month of fees from me). I hate them but as my title suggests; I put up with them because there is no other product that does what it does as well.

Just works

Reviewed on 26/1/2021

Works and just is what I need for my small business.

Pros

I have been using quickens for a very long time, it works for my needs. I run a simple company and do not use many of the features that are provided. The one feature that I do like the most is being able to download from the bank to the program to make sure I have the correct balance. However, when you send out a check sometimes via the bank check program it may post twice when written then when cashed. Just something to keep in mind. It also works for when I need to start and complete my taxes.

Cons

When you send out a check sometimes via the bank check program it may post twice when written then when cashed.

Jason A.

Mostly good/ some annoyances

Reviewed on 4/12/2018

Pros

Links your bank account.
Does recurring invoices
Can file your taxes
Payroll
Can set up automatic payment for customers.

Cons

Can link two recurring invoices for a customer. Ex. The regular monthly invoice then when the semi annual invoice needs to be billed it doesn’t link so I have to print two invoices. Also, when I print all the invoices it doesn’t print each person’s invoice right after the other. So I end up searching for that second invoice. It’s a mess. It sounds so confusing to read what I wrote. But basically sometimes I end up sending two separate envelopes on the same month for one customer because when it needs to be printed it doesn’t organize then invoices per customer.

Mike S.
  • Industry: Insurance

Is there anything out there other than Quicken?????

Reviewed on 8/3/2018

If I could give less than 1 star I would! I have been a huge supporter of Quicken in the past. I encouraged my kids and clients and anyone that would listen to use Quicken. Sorry!
I have now gone to using my online banking bill pay through my bank which is free!

Pros

This used to be a great product! I have used it since 1993 to track my business finances and investments. It really helps at tax time.

Cons

Support is worse than non-existent. It is March 8th and I have been trying to get support since the first week in January. I was on the phone with a rep for 2 hours trying to get bill pay to work. I was told to hang on I need to ask my manager about that and then hung up on. I tried chatting and was told that you cannot use chat for online bill pay. Called the support number and was told that there is a special number for online bill pay. I called that number and was told by the rep that I needed to go to quickenbillpay.com but he would stay on the line and would call me back if I got disconnected. That was a week ago. Still havent gotten at call. Went through the insutructions on the quickenbillpay.com website to set up a new account and it indicated it would take 2 -3 days to set up an account and I would receive 2 transactions on my bank statement from them. Check my statement and then come back and enter those figures to confirm I own the account. That was 6 days ago and still no transactions. Yesterday I received an email that I must send in 1. My drivers License. 2. My Social Security Card. 3. my most recent utility bill from water, gas, or electric company only. 4. A voided check from each account I want to use.
Sounds like an internet scam to me. I called quicken and explained I wasn't comfortable sending all of this over the internet and by the way I have been paying for your services for 25 years and now you want all of this info. Their response is quicken was sold and that they are a new company and they have to have the info or no bill pay services! No wonder they bill pay services are now included in the Premier package. No one can use it! The bad part is I have all of my payments for cars, houses, utilities, credit cards set up for auto pay using quicken bill pay. Now I have to find another way to get them paid because it has taken 2 months and I still am not set up for bill pay. By the way they don't tell you this is what happens when you download Quicken 2018. Beware!

Quicken is great

Reviewed on 10/3/2021

It has been massively helpful with personal finance and keeping track of bank account balances.

Pros

I like Quicken for how it's fairly easy to set things up. I prefer manual sync since I prefer creating payees on my own, but it gives me a pretty good view of my expenses and the stocks I have.

Cons

I'm not a fan of the subscription pricing, but to their credit Quicken did credit me a discount when I asked them after initially purchasing the software without one. I do wish the budgeting was a bit better as it's not perfect, and sometimes I feel like the direct bank sync can be a bit wonky when it comes to sharing information.

Sarah D.

Limited functionality but Ease of Use

Reviewed on 22/5/2018

I found that the financial planning tools are quite helpful and it is also helpful that the Quicken software can provide "Reminders" for certain transactions. Obviously you would have to remember to set these Reminders up in the Software itself initially, but once set-up this is very helpful going forward.

Pros

The product is capable of showing a very basic overview of a client's activity. I thought this would work well for clients that do not have a ton of different account transactions to post throughout a period and also for clients that do not use a bunch of different accounts (This gets to be messy when there are too many accounts) I also think the software is beneficial to help with budgeting a being able to get a daily look at a client's activity.

Cons

I did not like the fact that you can not post Journal Entries to move amounts between different accounts. When adjusting a client's Books this is very necessary to be able to record JEs to move around different amounts within the Balance Sheet and Income Statement. Another Con was that the software is difficult to upload and/or transfer into QuickBooks if you are trying to convert between the two.

Julie S.
  • Industry: Management Consulting

Great integration with my various accounts and bookkeeping software

Reviewed on 2/12/2017

I love this. As a small business owner that has only 6 employees, but jobs from cost to cost, it's great to have such a versatile financial package that can be edited across clients and consultants.

Pros

This integrates with just about everything. Whether it's importing from office or connecting to online XML streams, Quicken is able to pull data intuitively and accurately.

Cons

It can be overly complicated. I think the same channels that provide wise ranging data integration also can create a confusing network of options, especially when there are multiple users in one file.

Delmar P.

Good but not great

Reviewed on 11/10/2018

Pros

Fairly simple to use and has lots of features. I really like that I can make invoices as well. The reporting is well featured and intuitive.

Cons

The thing I don't like is that I've been with their tech support a few times. They are terrifically slow. For example, I'll chat with them online and literally spend 3 hours at a time and get no where. Eventually I have to go because I have other things to do. Then a few weeks later another 3 hours.
In the end they blame it on a corrupted file. They refused to help me with that.

Kristy B.

Fundamental but lacking

Reviewed on 12/11/2016

I was so excited to use this software. It completely ties to our financial reporting in Quicken and therefore is very appealing to use. The issue is in the actual function of the rental piece. It does not allow easy adjustment to tenant accounts for issues. Would be good for a FEW rentals. It does not allow tracking of notes regarding tenants or tracking of service needed. I also had hoped it had a function that could allow customers to make payments thru it.

Pros

Ties to financial. Allows entry of all tenant information for contact and lease terms.

Cons

Would be better if the tenant was also then listed as a payee so you would not get two different entries for one tenant when you do an entry in the checkbook vs running it thru the rental program which only allows for entry of rents. You cannot enter a payment for garbage for example. Any entry causes the rent due date to advance so you will be entering rent on 11/5/2016 for example and the default will come up 2/2017 for example.

Steve M.
  • Industry: Management Consulting

Long Time User of Quicken for Home and Business

Reviewed on 19/1/2018

Pros

Easy for a non-accountant to keep precise records
Tracks stock and mutual fund transactions and easily exports information to Turbotax
Easy to download credit card transactions
Quicken for Home and Business lets the consultant prepare client invoices

Cons

Sometimes it will not download stock prices accurately
Annual updates often provide no additional useful features
Cannot alter format of invoices in Quicken for Home and Business

Dandy D.
  • Industry: Accounting

Quicken Deluxe to keep track of your income, Investments, Expenses, Debts and Loans

Reviewed on 2/2/2018

Overall value of the software is very good, provided you keep your computer equipment up to date. Quickens new feature allows tracking by cell phone, which is a great feature when you are travelling and cannot sit at your home computer

Pros

Accurate tracking of activities in your bank account and credit cards, Investment status and loan balances

Cons

Phone support was phased out and for an old timer who cannot type fast, asking questions is time consuming and requires a lot of patience

Cathy C.

Quicken-Couldn't live without you

Reviewed on 11/5/2021

I have used Quicken for many years and like that I know how to use it and it works well for my needs

Pros

Downloading bank activity to multiple accounts is paramount for my accounting activities. Quicken does it well and gives several ways to download the information.

Cons

Customer services is hard to get to, reps can be hard to understand with varying dialects and accents. It is getting expensive.

George D.

Good Personal Accounting Software

Reviewed on 25/2/2021

Overall, this is an easy to use, but pretty powerful little piece of software.

Pros

Quicken is an easy way to track your expenses and prepare a budget and be prepared to do your taxes.

Cons

I'm not in love with their new subscription plan which forces you to upgrade every year. In the past you could hang onto a version for several years before upgrading.

Dennis T.

Great software for the businessman that owns a few houses for rent.

Reviewed on 1/8/2018

Pros

It is very easy to use and keeps track of each individual home...the income and the expenses. It also allows tracking expenses by category, and you can set these up for custom tracking.

Cons

It doesn't handle deposits very well. And I have never figured out how to change the dates that the rent covers. For example, if someone moves in during the middle of a month, it doesn't handle that well.

Shumeka Y.
  • Industry: Civic & Social Organization
  • Company size: 5,001-10,000 Employees

Great Product

Reviewed on 16/5/2017

The customer service is outstanding!

Pros

I love the convenience of using Quicken. I've used it both personally and professionally in the past and it is easy to download, implement, and update as needed.

Cons

I did not like how sometimes, it crashed a few times while I was in the middle of entering very important information. It didn't happen a lot, but when it did; it caused a small inconvenience for me.

Chip C.
  • Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

Biller integration needs work

Reviewed on 11/10/2018

Pros

Bank integration is great. I can handle all my finances through one interface. Paying bills is dead simple.

Cons

Multiple bills from the same biller (like 2x Chase credit cards) breaks. Once I turned on the feature to pull bills from my billers I've had bill reminders disappear, so I have to pay much closer attention than I should have to given that this is what I have Quicken for.