Trello

Trello

Visual collaboration tool for shared project perspectives

4.5/5 (15427 reviews)
Joseric M.
Industry: Utilities

Trello for Work and Private stuff

Reviewed on 10/8/2018

Trello will highly improve your productivity for both your office work and personal life. It did to me. You can organize action items (or just about everything any list can do) in a fun and colorful platform. Try it by starting with the basic Trello (free) which is fantastic in itself and might be even more than enough for basic needs.

Pros

I love Trello boards! Ever since I was introduced by my manager to the concept of Kanban boards and Trello, I have loved this app for use in the office (required for my team) as well as for my personal productivity (i.e., my private life).

We started using Trello when it was just a simple Web app (used only via the web browser), now I love it even more since they already created an installable version for my devices both Mac (office work) and Windows (personal pc) as well as an Android version (mobile phone). Now I can access my boards anywhere I go.

Also, the recent addition of the Home page sort of Wall (like facebook) made it easier to have a rundown of the cards/boards that were recently updated or nearing its due date. This is very useful when you already have multiple (or tons of) boards.

Notifications are fantastic! I get reminded via email when a card is due, or whenever a team member makes an update.

One more thing I love about this is that you can share boards in public/private/teams. This makes collaboration with external stakeholders possible (or simply just wanting to share a board to the entire internet population).

Cons

The Free version does not allow you to extract all your boards into a spreadsheet format (e.g., excel). Anyway, I was able to try it out (before subscribing) via a Powerup I got for free. I'm not sure about the logic of having to "Archive" a card first before being able to "Delete" it. Maybe there is a reason, but sometimes I would just like to delete a card straight away.

Nathan S.

The good, the not so good and all of Trello

Reviewed on 22/10/2018

Pros

Trello is an easy to use to-do list/project management app. After being introduced to it 3 years ago, its the one todo list app that I keep coming back to.

1) The intuitive design of Trello makes it easy to get started. Its functions just work, whether its drag and drop, moving cards across lists, or setting up boards, you can easily get started using Trello in minutes. Trello's simplicity aids in its overall feel and use.
2) Trello's cards & lists allow you to really go in depth with project planning. While other platforms may have to do lists of sorts, with Trello's you get a checklist for each card, which can be a task with sub tasks. The use of the boards and lists also helps for those that need deep project management features
3) Trello has some hidden gems such as free downloadable boards, a Calendar view for lists vs using the standard board view, Power Ups and easy integration with email, shortcuts and more. You can use Trello to manage projects in many different ways. I like to think of it as a Swiss Army knife for Project Management.
4) Its mostly free. Its hard to really beat free stuff and Trello is right up there. Most features can be used without paying so thats really great.

Cons

My only gripes with Trello are:
1) The lack of new features in a while. It feels like the only progress of Trello is coming from Power Ups.
2) I tend to whine a lot about mobile app support and while I feel the current versions are sufficient, but the lack of a dedicated Apple Watch app for example is a bummer. To Do list apps like Things have apps for every platform including Apple Watch.
3) Trello is great for smaller teams but if you have a large team collaborating on Trello can be cumbersome.

Industry: Management Consulting

Great Way to keep track of projects in a virtual team

Reviewed on 11/1/2020

Like any tool, the crux of the matter is wether you can get your team to adopt it and use it, rather than just keep plowing along with email. But my experience has been that the visual way that you can get a lot of information represented with one glance and the flexibility of how you do this, combined with the notifications (email, computer, mobile apps) makes it far superior to email and my team has realized this.

Pros

This visual way this represents information and the flexibility in how this information is represented on the 'board' and within each 'card' makes this an invaluable tool for our virtual team.
I like most that this software gives you a visual representation of your work. You can see at a glance where things are at. We use it for client projects with multiple milestones to see where we are in each of the cases. The "cards" let you add all types of information in a facebook like feed: documents, photos and scans, notes, you can have discussions here. You can also add deadlines to a card, which will remind you at the set time on your desktop or phone. (apps for all major platforms are available). Notifications also get sent to your email if you so desire.

I also really like that once you have written a checklist, and you create a new card you can easily use the former checklist as a template for the new card. This means we can make our SOP's into checklists and maintain these so all people who work on a project use the same standardized measurements of the progress on a project.

Cons

The way usernames are created seems a bit random. For example my colleage, lets call him "Frank Michaels" gets a username assigned that looks like this @frankmich2453 - when I want to address him (tag him) in a conversation to ensure he gets an altert that this is something he needs to look at, this weird, random username gets used. Its not really an issue with functionality as much as aestetics and defintely not a deal breaker.

Likelihood to recommend: 7.0/10

Rob B.

Trello - Organize your tasks for better life

Used Daily for Free Trial
Reviewed on 17/11/2019

I have been using it for personal purposes. I just found the app and decide to try it. Because of our energetic and dynamic days, there is a strong need to stay focused and organized, I think that app is very good for doing this. It helps you stay organized, always know what exactly you need to do at the moment, schedule your time and stay healthy mind because you do not need to remember all the things in your head and you can focus on your daily tasks.
I pretty recommend this app for every purpose. I think everyone can find himself or herself here because it can save a lot of time, nerves and not finished on-time job.
I think it is a very powerful and useful 2019s app for better everyday life.

Pros

This software has multiple features to like. Some of them are:
1. It helps you to organize all your tasks - from your home needs, vacations, what to buy for eating, to your business needs and office tasks.
2. You can share your projects with your family, team or friends - For example, you will no longer forget to say to your partner what to do instead of you at home - just share your common tasks and everything is ready.
3. You can easily create categories - like TO DO, IN PROGRESS, IDEAS and whatever you like. With this feature you always will see exactly what you want - for example you will always see only what you need to do and nothing else unnecessary.
4. You can add to your tasks images, due dates, attachments. You can share a task with specific people only. You can create checklists which I think are very powerful for one task because you just check everything you have done.
5. There are different design templates that help you organize different tasks for different spheres of life - like Home tasks, Business tasks, Study tasks.
6. The design is super pretty and eye-catching and for me, it is a pleasure to work with that kind of beautiful app.
7. You can synchronize your projects and tasks between your devices - PCs, laptops, phones, and tablets. I think this is useful because let's say you can write down all your tasks for the week on the PC on Sunday and then just check them on your phone throughout the entire week.

Cons

Till my using, I didn't find any inconvenience working with the app. I think that the app is very intuitive, easy to use and powerful for all your needs.
Of course, if you need it for strong purposes, you need to pay a bit for it, but I think the pricing is very good for all the powerful features the app supports.

Chaya W.

Trello - Managing projects sophisticatedly

Reviewed on 16/4/2019

Trello is becoming one of the most popular project management tools with its facilities like file uploading , adding due dates, color labels . Also Trello can be used with many devices like phones , computers or tablets. These facilities have attracted the users and it has become more popular among the users.

Pros

Trello is a one of the most popular web based project management tool used in these days. Because of its attractive visual and high adaptability it has become more and more popular. Through Trello people wo are scattered on different geographical areas yet working on the same project can get together and continue their work without any obstacles. The application provides the ability to transfer files among the team members and users can put cards to mark the work to do. Also each card is assigned a color label according to the priority of each task. Because of the colored label facility users may not miss dead lines. When a card is created user is given a chance to add due date . When the time is close color of the card turns in to yellow and once the date is passed it will automatically turn in to red. This method helps the user not to miss the dead lines. Also Trello can be used on many platforms like computers , tablets and even on the phones.

Cons

In order to use Trello users need to have a proper internet connection. Without a proper network connection users cannot use the application. Trello is more suitable for simple projects with in a small scale. It is not suitable for big projects with many teams . Users can only upload files up to 10MB for each attachment. Files bigger than 10MB cannot be upload if you are a basic member. Only business class and gold members can attach files up to 250MB.

Likelihood to recommend: 7.0/10

William H.
Industry: Marketing & Advertising

The best in order and group work.

Reviewed on 19/1/2020

In a little more than a year using it, it has brought me a lot of help and good things, I appreciate and organize better my work with Trello, it is very simple the group stage because it provides us with notifications, deadlines, processes, editions and so on. You can synchronize your content with Trello. I recommend it completely, I think it is for everyone, it is customizable and will fit every need.

Pros

There are some characteristics in favor of Trello which are; clean design, that in spite of having a lot of tools, does not stop being simple and customizable.
It is available for any device, pc, mobile, tablet and its applications are quite good.
Friendly with integration and widget application.
And as we know, it is a wonderful task manager, highly collaborative, ideal for business and personal work. I use it daily because I take the process of my activities there, also the group is very active and more in the creative area, is favorable because we can upload audiovisual content, evidence, you can add labels, colors, stickers; their cards are pretty cool and the lists handle everything, attach files and so on, is very complete and is a relief to have this software

Cons

Trello is pretty good for its pro price, besides having the free version which is also great. But I feel that it can improve in the mentions and search of the members in groups.

Ty C.
Industry: Paper & Forest Products
Company size: 10,001+ Employees

My favorite personal project management tool ever!

Reviewed on 20/12/2019

It always does exactly what i need it to do. Never dealt with bugs, sync issues. Provides me a lot of relief managing my day to day. No matter what device i am near i can add something to a list and continue along.

Pros

I have used many different project management/personal organization tools and none of them ever seemed to "stick" until Trello came along. The app is fantastically built with an incredible UX no matter the device. They haven't overloaded it with unnecessary extra junk and i appreciate that. They stick to their core mission and do the right things really, really well and it's because of that i still use it.

Using it as a collaborative tool is also great. It might not be DevOps and some people may knock it for that but there is definitely a place for it in an agile organization.

Cons

I personally don't consider this a criticism but i could see how some would say its not good enough as an enterprise project management tool. I can understand where they are coming from BUT my primary use of this platform is personal project management and task management.

I also think most projects could easily employ a agile model facilitated by Trello but it's really a personal preference.

Lee Q.
Industry: Building Materials
Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

Great Software for Small Teams

Used Other for 2+ years
Reviewed on 12/12/2019

It is great for small teams that aren't strictly held to a standard for regular sprint cycles. If you want a quick SCRUM or KANBAN experience for a hobby or small project it is perfect. If you're looking to manage a large scale development project, it is not scalable.

Pros

It's very easy to use and extremely flexible for many styles of project management. Using it on several of my side projects not related to the core of my development role, I have been able to easily keep track of progress and manage the workflow for a small team and small projects. The plugins were fun to use as well. I really liked the "aging cards" effect for cards that haven't moved through the workflow fast enough.

Cons

As a developer on many projects, Trello became cumbersome when we needed to scale and manage multiple projects. I wanted to, but the costs and features seemed to limit the scope of what we could do with various agile teams on numerous projects. I think it would have worked, but our contractors were looking for something more along the lines of JIRA for software development project management. We never got to try out multiple features or plugins with Trello as a whole. I did get to use it to manage my tasks related to JIRA issues, which was okay, but I eventually opted for tasks in JIRA.

In short, it is hard to clearly define sprints and tasks for those sprints without having to repeatedly create new labels or new boards to separate sprints.

Ishanka M.
Industry: Computer Software

My favorite, simple and easy to use task management tool on the Internet

Reviewed on 13/11/2019

The ease of use and layout makes this great for smaller projects, but also holds the platform back from fulfilling the needs of bigger operations. With my experience with Trello, I think it is a must-have tool for freelancers, small companies and new startups.

Pros

Trello is a project management software that allows teams to collaborate on a project. This platform is commonly used by software development teams, small startups, and entrepreneurs who are working together with a team to create a product of sorts. It allows for easy communication, updates on tasks, and the general oversight of a project. Through my experiences of working with the software platform, here are some of the pros and cons I have found to be true of this platform.

Ease of Use - I was shocked to see older professors in a college setting using this platform, but thanks to the simplicity, almost anyone who is semi-tech savvy can easily navigate and figure out the basics of Trello.

Device Accessibility - Typically, when you are on the go, you don't always have time to be working off of your laptop. With Trello, it is easy to manage boards, lists, and cards from a mobile or tablet device.

Notifications - It is easy to stay up to date with any project as users are sent notifications through the mobile and web app platforms.

Layout - The way the task, cards, and list are set up allows for one to quickly understand the status of the project and access details needed in specific areas of the project.

Cons

Limited Storage - In the freemium model, the most each file attachment can be in size is 10 MB. This can be problematic if the team needs to view a PDF, video, or slide deck presentation that you are trying to add to the board. This can easily be resolved by a user posting a link on Trello of a google drive file, but the creation of that google drive file may come as an inconvenience.

Commenting - As progress is made, you may want to edit a comment made previously to avoid confusion among team members. Trello does not allow for editing comments, which can come as a hassle. Instead, you must write a new comment.

Julian J.
Industry: Education Management

Simple and free tool for time management using Agile principles

Reviewed on 28/10/2019

We are a corporate training company and we use Trello to teach time management for corporate users. Our participants adopt very easily the tool and are ready to use it in minutes.

I also personally use it to store information, manage small projects, plan my trips and collaborate with others. Simple and effective.

Pros

Trello is super easy to use and a very simple concept. However, it is amazing powerful and has lots of power ups and extensions to make it even more powerful.

Its free and very intuitive. I use it with the participants in my workshops and they can all register and get it running in a couple of minutes.

Cons

Managing several boards can become cumbersome and Trello does not have an easy way to sync cards or lists among boards.

With the purchase of Buttler a former third party power up, this is a bit better now, but still a big flaw.

Jeremiah P.
Industry: Computer Software

The simplest project management tool I've ever used

Reviewed on 16/2/2020

Trello is incredible. For a small, agile, team trying to manage the day-to-day operations, it's perfect. If you're looking for something to manage organizations in the hundreds or thousands, or something with sophisticated reporting, I'd look at other options.

Pros

Trello is dead simple. It takes about 30 seconds to signup and start using it for task management, and another 15 minutes to start understanding how to do some more sophisticated tasks with the tool.

It's also extremely easy to use for collaboration. Because of the easy signup it's better than most tools for bringing in other team members and easily working them into the everyday flow of the software.

I also love that it's free for the basic tools. We have a team of 12 people who use it on a daily basis and have never had to pay for usage. That said, if we wanted to use it with other teams we'd likely need to pay, but it's still substantially less expensive than the alternatives.

With Trello it's really easy to manage multiple boards which is super handy because I can manage both personal and business tasks from the same website, without needing to switch logins.

Cons

There's not much to dislike about Trello when used for smaller teams/organizations.

The core features are definitely a bit limited compared to other top project management tools, but there's a lot of really solid additions on paid plans that help level it up.

It probably wouldn't be my choice for project management in an organization of hundreds, but for our purposes it works extremely well.

Rob H.
Industry: Marketing & Advertising
Company size: Self Employed

Trello keeps projects centralized and organized.

Reviewed on 6/2/2020

The most significant problem I solved with Trello is consolidation. Projects with a lot of managers can get out of control very quickly. One person will say, "I sent that email a week ago." Another will say, "I put that on Dropbox yesterday." In short time, there are multiple areas that contain the important documents and info and it becomes very tedious to find and consolidate it all.

I have my clients "only" send me info via Trello. That way, everything is in one place. And, if they make a mess or place things in the wrong place, Trello is easy to reorganize and cleanup. I can manage the entire project in one place and now nothing is lost or missed or misplaced.

Pros

Trello is easy to use, fast and accessible. It also provides a good "overview at a glance" as to how a project is progressing, what needs attention and what can be left alone for now. I like the ability to "drag and drop" images and text into it. It makes it fast to share when you have another browser open and are researching.

I also like the ability to place labels on the stacks of cards. Many of my clients don't take the time to really get into Trello and read everything I post there. They are in a hurry and just want what's required. I can place labels, say for instance, "Needs Feedback", on a stack and they just get used to looking for that so they can respond.

It's also great for collaborating in real-time as I'm on the phone with someone. It's accessible from any web enabled device so I can view it and or work on it from anywhere.

Cons

The only thing I wish Trello had was the ability to "markup." I'd like to be able to draw or make pointers on images that are posted. Other than that, I don't know what else I'd change.

Sam D.
Industry: Information Technology & Services
Company size: Self Employed

Collaboration tool that keeps people on track

Reviewed on 3/2/2020

One of the things that can be difficult when getting people to collaborate is keeping conversations distinct from each other. Someone will write an email with a few questions or different updates included, and everyone starts replying - some in reference to some of the points, and others to other ones. The benefit of using Trello is that you can keep conversations focused due to the board and card based approach. It's easy to follow the thread of what has been discussed and your reply is always in context and won't be confused with any other subject.

Pros

I liked the easy to understand layout, and the fact that you can easily move things around or relabel them if you need to. The ability to attach different media is good and the interface is nicely customisable. It's great how people from different organisations can easily collaborate. The things that are most active are the most visible in the interface, which is great for keeping your attention.

Cons

I found some of the default settings a little confusing and frustrating. For instance, if you add an image to a card, it's automatically set as the cover image (I couldn't see a way to switch this off). I think that once things get archived, they seem a little hard to revisit, but this is something you occasionally need to do to refer back. These are minor issues really though and I'm sure the interface will keep on improving.

Randy E.
Industry: Computer Software

Any amazingly productive tool that is super simple to use

Reviewed on 21/1/2020

I have been using Trello for years in multiple use cases. I won't repeat the features here, because you can find those, but because of those features I have used it in these kinds of cases:
- First and foremost for my daily and longer term task tracking at work. Although my office officially works in Jira, I use Trello for my non-billable tasks (and in fact for organizing many of my billables) because it is much easier and faster to use (then I just go to Jira to charge the time).
- For personal task management
- For collaboration with family
- It is EXTREMELY useful in collaboration on projects supporting non-profits I work with - it's free, easy to use, and doesn't require any software install, so it's the easiest option for me to get a committee or team together on one tool to plan, coordinate, keep notes and records. It has helped some of my non-profit projects that I don't think would have succeeded otherwise.
- For both online and in-person UX testing such as card sorts.
- For documenting data models.
- For documenting project process outlines.
- For documenting design elements in a design process.
I think I could probably go on for a bit longer, but these are the use cases I repeat often.

Pros

The best feature of Trello is that it is so simple and intuitive to use that I can have non-profit board members, committee members, and clients who have never seen it before up and running with it in very short order. It is the perfect balance of essential functionality with ease of use. Capable software that is too hard to understand is useless, as is software that is so simple it does nothing - Trello allows you to have teams quickly become productive without a massive investment in training time (and the associated drop-off in use).

Cons

Maybe it's because I'm so used to using it that I know what the limitations are and stay within them, that I don't have a strong 'least' liked feature. I guess I find the label color schemes rather limiting, but I know there are chrome extensions to help address that, and really the problem is that what I would want to do with labels varies with my application and I've been too lazy to really think through appropriate labeling schemes and exploring the extension options - I think writing this review will probably give me enough of a push to do that. However, this also demonstrates what I like about Trello - the default options are always 'sane' and not too complicated, so it is easy to get any team up and using it quickly. More complicated options would interfere with that.

Vineet E.
Industry: Medical Devices

Great, no-frills workflow and management tool

Reviewed on 21/1/2020

Trello has helped uniquely mobilize my engineering team, allowing us to create a unique system combining the best parts of agile and traditional waterfall development for our medical device hardware workflow. It helps us realize changes to devices in a sustaining engineering project much more easily, with the full team understanding what everyone is doing and what the end goal is.

Pros

Lightweight and Easy to learn. For the features that exist, Trello executes them quite well, and the readability and usability of the software is excellent. I like the ability to separate work into columns and provide a custom workflow. The assignment tools allow me to keep team members directly responsible for getting tasks done on time. the integrations with other platforms allow for easy file management and attachment of relevant documentation.

Cons

Add-ons don't always make sense and could use some better screening by Trello. They aren't quite as intuitive and sometimes they make the experience clunky. Trello could also do a better job showing how different card management strategies can be tailored for use in specific applications/industries. Currently, there isn't a lot of direction for new users and often it takes time to feel out the best practices of the platform.

Mike D.
Industry: Sports

Great Product for Small Teams and StartUps to get Organized Now

Reviewed on 19/1/2020

Trello is good for personal organization, as well as organization of small teams (2-4 workers). As teams grow, we consider moving to Asana as it helps handle teams that are still under one manager. With multiple teams and managers, I had success with Jira.

Our team is happy to use it as they find it adds value without wasting valuable time. Trello is quicker then Asana and Jira to set-up.

You get what you put into it, so it’s important to define a cadence with your team for it to work. Trello enables your team to stay organized, but it is up to your team to use it consistently to receive its value.

Pros

Trello is a low commitment software that is easy to set-up and very quick to learn. We are using it at a small start to to manage tasks and development milestone. It is perfect for product and project management with small teams.

The trello UX is flexible for many tasks, and saves you time (for example: one can re-use task lists since they automatically save, making processes that operate at a fixed frequency easy to set up).

The ability to assign tasks and due dates is very helpful. The features overall are geared towards good documentation and consistent experience. It’s a well built product. If it’s your companies first time using electronic software for product or project management, it’s the perfect tool to get started and work on a cadence that’s works for you team. Our team has moved from white boards to trello, and have seen positive results.

Cons

I find trello is a little more tedious then other software like Jira. This is because I cannot move things in bulk. Also, trello doesn’t have the same layout functionality that Jira does, making it less efficient for large teams.

Trello has a lot of functionality that you may not need, so be sure to only use what makes your time with the product effective. Make sure to think through what is worth spending time on with your team.

Industry: Mechanical or Industrial Engineering

The perfect tool to follow up team tasks and projects

Reviewed on 3/1/2020

The main use of Trello is the team follow up by following the tasks, the due date and the projects.
This is the best tool to work together within a team and to keep all tasks organized and well assigned.
Coupled to Microsoft Outlook, Teams and Project, it is the best combination to manage a team and big projects.

Pros

Trello is very easy to understand and to use.
The dashboard is very clean and easily useable.
There are very high quality features such us assigning tasks to team, with due dates, with priority levels, ...
Trello can be integrated to other softwares such us Microsoft Outlook, Microsoft Teams.
We also set up a ticketing tool to solve all customer requests and bug reports.

Cons

Nothing I really didn't like about Trello...
Maybe be one thing could be improved : it is the history of the actions done on the task and tiles. At the moment, the history is too loaded and sometimes it is not easy to find the most important actions done.

Tyler B.
Industry: E-Learning
Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

Great product management for a team

Reviewed on 23/12/2019

A great product management tool for coordination. It took me some time to get used to all it could do and how I wanted to use it, but now I really enjoy it. The best part is the free option to use it (which is what I use) and it works well for my needs.

Pros

Customizability and flexibility. I have really enjoyed using Trello at our university to coordinate course development across multiple departments. When I develop a course, it is easy to have each column of task cards in Trello be a week, with each task card an activity or page within my course.
The checklist feature on the task cards is great for assigning items for different team members to do from writing instructions to reviewing uploaded documents. When they complete the activity, they simply check the box and it shows up on the task card's screen and on the main project management screen.
I also utilize the labels feature on the task cards for different things to communicate to my team, such as "Hey, Course Lead, look here!" by assigning the red label. When you have a ton of cards, this labeling system helps to see at a quick glance the entire project and where you should focus.
In short, a really good tool for product management that I encourage you to practice with. It is free to use, with some premium options if you want to explore more.

Cons

Practice makes perfect. Trello is a great system, but it does take some initial effort to really streamline the way you want to use it. Because of its customizability and flexibility, it can be easy to get overwhelmed at first with all the features. You also need to work with your team members you invite to coordinate on Trello to get them used to checking it regularly before you start to see its true potential.

Industry: Financial Services

Great tool for project management

Reviewed on 13/12/2019

Trello is our go-to tool for planning and executing projects. We use it to plan and execute projects across multiple teams and functions and it works very well - everyone knows how to use it, everyone follows the boards, works great. We use Asana for my team and Trello for cross-company project planning.

Pros

- Trello is great for planning and executing projects
- It's especially useful when multiple teams/depts are involved
- Unlike Asana, it's easy to add freelancers and external partners to Trello and have them follow the workflow
- Trello is super easy to set up and use
- No enablement is needed - it's just intuitive

Cons

- The functionality is very basic and upgrading to paid plan costs the same as Asana (which has more goodies for us)
- When we have boards with external parties and try to upgrade, we need to pay for the 'guests' as well and that blocks us
- Sub tasks don't have a deadline functionality, which is a pity

Nancy W.
Industry: Automotive
Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

Great team collaboration and organization tool

Reviewed on 5/12/2019

I am a beginner at Trello, so have not investigated all the functionality. That being said, I can envision, with proper licensing, utilizing Trello daily in my job, home, home business, and travel.

A software vendor managing a new implementation developed a sort of scrum board with user stories, where we can post questions/concerns we come upon during the implementation life cycle. In addition to using a basic "post-it note" type board, I was very easily able to create a full series of test scripts and assign team members within the first 30 minutes of use. MUCH more elegant than a giant workbook!

Browsing templates, I found a trip planner for Paris, which is where I plan to take my granddaughter next summer. I was effortlessly able to change the itinerary and edit embedded link to the Skyscanner power-up to point to our home airport and actual dates. My granddaughter is a member, so when she sees or thinks of something she wants to do, she can add a card or link to our trip board.

Recently my business partner for our part-time Etsy shop sent a link to a Trello board template for inventory keeping, so after the holidays, we plan to start developing this for our shop.

This is a fantastic tool to keep on track and take away the pain of sorting through so many activities, tasks, to-do's, plans, etc. Two thumbs up!

Pros

Cloud based - available 24/7 without having to VPN in to a server that stores Project docs.
Flexible - create test scripts, PM tasks/timelines, to-do lists, trip planning, inventory
Fun - allows switching backgrounds, cute stickers, set reminders, embed links and maps, allows users to give it a personal touch and flair
Easy - simple to use, with many templates available online. The seems to be no limit to the the uses one can imagine for this product.
5S - Eliminates the need for post-its and binders full of scribbled notes - just add a note/task/card and it is there in the cloud, accessible with a click for future reference.

Cons

The only setback I have experienced is that an upgrade to 'business class' is required to utilize more than one "Power-up," per board. 'Power ups' are free add-ons different functions and enhancements and embedded links to maps, travel sites, calendars, etc.. I have not yet approached my company to purchase an upgrade, since I do not know who would use these multi-power-upped boards that would require additional 'business class' licenses. We ran in to this with PowerBI as well - great if there are only a few using, but the costs quickly accumulate once users see how greatly this would impact their work efforts.

Without the power-up, I cannot get dates on tasks within a card to update automatically when changing the beginning date, because there does not seem to be a standard dependency/gantt feature like there is in Project.

Industry: Computer Software

Does it's job without all of the frills

Reviewed on 3/12/2019

I use Trello both for my individual work as well as department-wide requests. Trello allows me to hold co-workers accountable for submitting requests and maintaining a detailed change log, which often gets lost or can be difficult to backtrack when managing requests via email, chat tools, or in-person.

Pros

Trello is easy to use, requires little-to-no training or enablement, and just gets the job done. Though the add-ons available for a free account are rather minimal, I find that the additional features provided by premium accounts are often unnecessary and cause a lot of noise. When looking for a tool to maximize efficiency of ticket completion, I find less is more.

Cons

Very easy to accidentally delete information in a ticket without noticing, with no way to undo changes. The permissions available to restrict certain people from editing cards are limited, and would be very helpful when creating cards that are supposed to serve as templates, for example, which would ideally be locked and available for copying only.

Maryl F.
Industry: Entertainment

Trello is your team's organizational sandbox

Reviewed on 3/12/2019

We use Trello every day to give the company team-wide access to where we are in the pipeline of our projects. Any team member can be added to any board to see, add and edit cards. Trello has great integrations with other platforms we use such as Hubspot and Google suite. You can easily create a new card by sending to a specific email address which streamlines the flow of regular processing. We greatly appreciate the regular updates from the Trello team, they seem to be regularly updating the software and adding benefits to their already solid product.

Pros

Trello is easy to use, easy to customize and visually appealing. Their customer service and regular updates are impressive.

Cons

I personally have no drawback to this software, we have utilized this on our team for years, tried other software for the same systems and keep coming back to Trello.

Michael W.
Industry: Publishing

Great Tool for Staying on Track

Reviewed on 18/11/2019

It's a great tool. The paradigm of board / list / card is easy to follow and simple to teach to even the most technophobic user.

Pros

Trello's "board / list / card" format makes it great for sharing tasks and passing them over to other departments to track production flow. Our company produces upwards of 200 new products per year so the production details are passed between departments and handed-off with ease with this tool.

Cons

The Free Tier versus the Business Tier is a big jump. There's very little room to tiptoe into the commercial version of the tool. The Business version is expensive for large organizations. That being said, the free tier does everything we need it to do. The biggest downside of this system is that you can potentially back up the system by downloading json files, but there is NO TOOL to restore lost data! One would have to manually re-enter every card and every detail in the system which would be a disaster. They really do need to focus on their import/export abilities which are currently completely nonexistent.

Der S.
Industry: Computer Games
Company size: Self Employed

Trello, awesome for ToDo lists but in need of improvement

Reviewed on 15/11/2019

Trello is an ingenious site to create ToDO lists. I know a few companies that use Trello and I do.
I use Trello to create ToDo lists for the completion of my computer game. So current problems are listed there and colored whether the problem still exists or has been fixed.
When I have new ideas, I create a Trello map.
So I have my ideas, important things and problems directly in one place.
I have tested a CMS for my webserver that works similar to Trello. However, it has always turned out that Trello is the better choice.

Pros

There are some positive things, but also some that bother me. One of the positive features of Trello is that it is absolutely free. I can use it without any costs and have all my information in one place. Trello's smartphone app helps me stay up to date and add new ideas even when I'm on the go. The website is quickly loaded even if the internet is not so good and you can access everything quickly and easily.

Cons

What really bothers me about using Trello is that you can only create these vertical boxes and then always add new lists to the right. In the beginning that's ok, but with larger collections of ideas, problems or todo-things in general, the board quickly becomes confusing.
With my current board I have to scroll 10 minutes to the right (Of course that's a bit exaggerated, but you know what I mean, don't you?) to get to my other lists. In any case, I hope for a better user interface that is clearer and makes it easier to work with a team on the board.

Industry: Research
Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

I didn't ask for shared to-do lists... but here we are!

Reviewed on 17/11/2019

Overall I have found Trello to be of benefit both personally and to our team. Trello has helped our management keep track of each team member's workloads from a big picture standpoint, and has helped with distribution (and re-distribution) of work. It has also been beneficial to me in terms of organizing and keeping track of the work that I'm doing. As someone naturally disorganized, this is a major compliment. It has been so helpful that I am considering using it for my personal projects as well.

Pros

Trello is an organizational powerhouse. Personally, neither my mind nor my typical work style are very organized -- I'm all about scattered thoughts and scattered notes. Trello offers a myriad of solutions for the problem that is me. From separate boards for separate projects/task types, to separating lists of cards by various types, to individual cards, the organization options offered by Trello's "to-do" lists are pretty granular. This system is very easy to use, but the deeper you go -- especially once you start playing with Trello's various powerups -- the more complex it becomes. There is a lot to be said for the extension of functionality offered by said powerups -- they go from simple extensions of base functionality to drastic shifts in how information is presented (such as calendar view) or integration of other services (including Google Drive and Dropbox). Trello is pretty easy to use out of the box for an unorganized person such as myself, but offers a lot of possibilities for the power users willing to dive, or the highly organized among us.

Cons

Aside from its many organizational functions, which are stellar, the main draw of Trello is that it allows for sharing and collaboration among users. My team (10-20 people), for example, uses a single shared Trello board, with card lists for each team member, across all of our projects. Since everyone can see everything, this has led to occasional weirdness between members of our team. Perhaps this is just due to the organizational structure we've settled on -- perhaps I'm saying the con is people.

On that note -- there doesn't seem to be an easy undo function, so if you mess something up on a shared board you may end up creating confusion.

The notification system is also not ideal. Trello is not the place to go if you require the person you're communicating with's immediate attention.