Workday HCM

Unified human capital management and talent acquisition tool

4.3/5

Jamie S.
  • Industry: Sports

Overall Overview for Workday HCM

Reviewed on 5/6/2022

Decent.

Pros

Workday HCM makes it possible and effective to track and select the right candidates for an open opportunity when hiring.

Cons

Was a bit complex but now I am used to it as I use it on a daily basis at workstation.

• Industry: Transportation/Trucking/Railroad

Emmanuel Review

Reviewed on 12/5/2022

Communication with HR on decision per team growth is excellent

Pros

I can have access to the details I need to manage the growth of my agents

Cons

You should comprehensive videos to self train new users

BambooHR

Reasons for Switching to Workday HCM

It is good for fast pace growing companies
Gregor T.
  • Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

It's ok overall, but some things are not clear

Reviewed on 11/6/2022

Managing personal development, onboarding, kudos, payslips, holiday and sickness requests and suchlike. It's good for most things, but I find the issue with accessing payslips really frustrating!

Pros

The inbox feature is great in alerting me when I have actions to undertake, I like being able to add and receive Kudos through it and it's easy to request holiday and to see how much holiday I have remaining

Cons

The thing which annoys me is that I don't seem to be able to access my payslips easily through this at all. It requires a separate login through my e-pay, which I have only been able to manage through my phone. It really shouldn't require a separate login (different to my Workday one) to view my payslips - surely this could be integrated. I'd also like to be able to delete items entered into my personal development section - this doesn't seem to be possible? Overall the platform is a bit cumbersome and tricky to use.

Cathy H.
  • Industry: Nonprofit Organisation Management

Sad to not have Workday

Reviewed on 25/3/2022

Overall, Workday is a good product with good support.

Pros

Workday was easy to navigate and very intuitive. A new employee could come in that was unfamiliar and quickly be up-to-speed. We had several upgrades, each making the process better each time.

Cons

We could not be on our own cloud, making the organization more vulnerable to cyber attacks.

• Industry: Oil & Energy

Wrokday is awesome

Reviewed on 3/6/2022

Overall experience is good till now

Pros

1. Salary showcase and visualization is very impressive in the workday
2. Workday API integration is useful in connecting with other systems
3. Workday multi-language is very good

Cons

1. workday API are not rest API which creates issues and required expertise on soap api which is hard to find nowadays
2. The Ui is too smooth for a professional website

Naja H.

Workday HCM, simple yet effective employee payroll

Reviewed on 20/5/2022

Overall this is a great employee payroll operating system that allows businesses to track long term payments, time tracking and tax information. We features allow for the business to streamline any tax related tasks and this is beneficial in the long run.

Pros

Overall the features that I like the most about the software are that it is extremely easy to use and Kasey understood by queens of all ages. In addition because of its many features we are able to track long-term data. This includes tax information in addition to time tracking for individual employees and for the business as a whole.

Cons

There really wasn’t anything that I like least about the software. For the most part because of the fact that it is very simple to use there were no complaints.

• Industry: Fine Art

Workday HCM Helping You To Be The Best

Reviewed on 14/5/2022

I've personally used Workday with 3 or 4 different past employers and it was a easy decision when I decided to start my own business.

Pros

I recommend that if you are even thinking about starting a business big or small then this is a must have. It has everything necessary to help with some of the most important factors of running a business.

Cons

It is a difficult task to actually write a negative word about this software. It is not really to use all the time if your company is only employing less than 20 people.

Richard C.
  • Industry: Government Administration

Using Workday for payroll

Reviewed on 30/4/2022

I use this software to record my hours on a daily basis

Pros

The software is easy to use from the desktop. The mobile version is also easy to use
I can use this software to see how many hours I have recorded for the week, and it is easy to see how many vacation hours I have accrued. The software also provides reminders to the user to check in (like when you check out for lunch)

Cons

When there is as user error, it is cumbersome to fix the error

Mark F.
  • Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

Workday: not the most friendly interface, but it definitely gets the job done.

Reviewed on 6/6/2022

Pros

I really appreciate the employee directory to see who reports to whom, as well as having all our benefits centralized in one place.

Cons

I wish the interface could be updated to something a bit more modern and user-friendly-- sometimes the platforms feels a bit dated and non-user friendly, and it's not always easy to navigate to different parts of the tool.

Also, the platform doesn't automatically clear notifications after you complete them, which is strange

Mehadi hasan M.
  • Industry: Defense & Space

Its a great tools for new candidate management and team tranning

Reviewed on 13/5/2022

Overall its a great tools which requires some additional modification going forward

Pros

i like the fact that i can keep track of new candidates here and manage them and process the application on the fly to move them to the next round.

Cons

Training through the portal could be a challenge sometimes, giving access to the new candidates and managing their training is an ongoing tough task.

Nolan H.

Workday HCM Review

Reviewed on 10/8/2021

I support a team that focuses primarily on data driven tasks, and within that world its' really import to step away from the numbers and the data and focus on what my employees are excelling at individually and see what challenges they are facing. I love that the employee is the one to input their goals and results, as that holds them accountable for any challenges they are facing. The email reminders are very helpful for both me and the team I support. It's a great tool that helps us connect and drive forward!

Pros

Workday HCM has been a big part of my employee success tracking since my organization made the switch. However, with my entire division switching to a remote / work from home model, it's been imperative to keeping my employees on track with their career development. Workday makes it simple and streamlined to create monthly, quarterly & annual goals for my team, and my favourite thing about the software is when an entry is needed or overdue from them, they receive a message to their inbox (so I don't have to send a ton of reminders - nobody likes doing that). On my end, I get updates regarding completion status of performance tracking, and I really like the transparency in terms of my employees receivng a notification when I have completed their forms on my end as well.

Cons

I find it a bit difficult to access previous performance reviews, and I somehow never get there on my first try when I try to access the previous quarters or months. If there was a much more obvious option on the dashboard that would make the Workday experience even better.

Patrick j M.

Experienced Architect Required for Success

Reviewed on 27/5/2021

I have configured Workday daily, for the past 7 years. I have configured every module from payroll to benefits to recruiting and you'll be hard-pressed to find another Workday expert with as much experience as me.

Pros

Workday is the best HCM software in THE world. Nothing and I mean nothing is superior. We can argue about the competency of individual modules, especially payroll, but as a core HCM platform, no other software can compete. Anybody that says otherwise does not know what they're talking about. Anybody that complains about usability is probably not working with a quality Solutions Architect. To successfully implement and maintain this application, it is absolutely required that you employ at least one experienced, rockstar Solutions Architect. The application is expensive and is crucial that you fully leverage all of the technology that the app offers. Use its sophisticated features to optimize your HR department.

Cons

Workday knows that they have a real gem here. As a result, their attention to customer support has consistently declined as the popularity of the application has increased. Unless you're a major client oh, you're not going to get good customer support. What do I mean by a major client? I'm talking about the Google's the Facebook's the Adobe's, and even then, the support can leave something to be desired. And I'm speaking as someone who has worked at one of the aforementioned. An HR executive once told me that starting with work day was like being given the keys to a fancy new Ferrari but not even being shown how to start the car. Also, just because they work for workday doesn't mean they know what the hell they're talking about. The popularity has grown so has their staff. Obviously, some of these staff members are incompetent. I have experienced this firsthand and I assure you that it is frustrating when the so-called Workday SME is significantly less experienced than yourself. And this was at a time when I was fairly green. I have had to clean up confusingly complex convoluted implementations, after the fact. While I appreciate the job security, this is not a great way for any company to begin a relationship with their customer. We all know that a popular software can quickly be overtaken by a newer, better product. Workday is vulnerable here and somebody could exploit it.

Reasons for Switching to Workday HCM

We had the budget and the buy-in to procure the absolute best HCM product available in the market, and Workday is that product.
Chakkrit L.
  • Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

Workday is probably the best human capital management too in the world right now.

Reviewed on 28/4/2021

Every big organization needs a human capital management program. Without Workday, this wouldn't have been possible. Especially in big companies like Agoda, where there are many requirements from stakeholders such as GDPR, Data Privacy, and Security, these are things that many of the competitors couldn't do.

Pros

Workday is probably the best human capital management in the world right now. Learning Workday opens wide opportunities to various jobs. As a Workday HCM beginner, it might be overwhelming, but after one training course and a month of practice, Workday HCM can easily become a simple thing. Workday HCM is important as it is the core of other Workday modules such as Workday Security and Workday Business Process Architecture.

Cons

Workday is definitely an expensive tool that is only utilized by big companies. It is going to be rare for small to medium size company to use Workday. It means that, if you are going to quit a company that uses Workday and would prefer to find a job in a similar fashion, it has to be a large size company. Workday training is also kind of expensive, yet it is not a one-on-one training but a group course instead. Workday Support is very technically useful, however, it might take some time for an issue to resolve and they don't provide live chat support. Workday Learning is something that my company has issues with the most.

Oracle PeopleSoft
  • Industry: Philanthropy
  • Used for 1+ year

Finally getting away from PDFs

Reviewed on 19/3/2019

Pros

The best part of about Workday Performance Management is the ability to get away from manual processes. Previously at our company, we had to write our self-evaluations in a PDF document that was submitted to our managers. Then the manager could choose to write something completely different or utilize what was already written by the employee. Ultimately, the manual process left out information. With Workday Performance Management, everything is included. The self-evaluation is maintained within the performance review, as is the manager's review. That way anyone can compare and contrast what the manager had to say vs. what the employee had to say about themselves. All of this can be custom created per company so that an organization can keep whatever fields work best for them. It also can maintain goals, as well as milestones throughout the course of the year so that employees aren't just touching their reviews once a year, but actually working on them throughout the entire year. Sometimes it is hard to keep up with all that I have accomplished at the end of the year, unless I have written it down in a Word doc. But now you can add things to your review as it happens and then do one final edit at the end of the year.

Cons

The biggest con for me is the lack of stating what can be improved. This could be a customized field that my organization failed to incorporate. If that's true, then maybe the improvement could come from WorkDay itself on best practices. But every employee wants to shine a light on all the good they did throughout the course of the year. It is just as important for each employee to shine a light on the things they could do better, or improve upon for the next year. Another con for our organization was the length of time it took to implement WorkDay within our systems. It was far from an easy task that took thousands of man-hours to implement. However, now that it is implemented and people are using it, it seems to have been worth the effort.

Danielle S.
  • Industry: Sporting Goods
  • Company size: 5,001-10,000 Employees

"Workday is the best assistant Online for HR"

Reviewed on 10/3/2022

You may build and grow your corporation using Workday HCM. There is no limit to what can be done. Anyone in HR or a department head may simply access and obtain employee information using their user-friendly interface, whether it's for insight into their compensation or any other data you require. More significantly, it gives HR personnel the tools they need to do their jobs better, from adding new vacation entries to collecting lists of the most frequently utilized perks.

Pros

Payroll, vacation requests, time off, hiring, performance management, and much more are all made easier with Workday. For the most part, tasks are straightforward and intuitively organized. My dashboard displays the demands made by our personnel. To charge other business units for projects and hours, we may change things like pay rate, hours, department, and project id. Direct links to applicants' Facebook and Twitter pages and the ability to select candidates by a variety of criteria, including location, experience, and current position, are all strengths of the recruiting area.

Cons

A few tasks throughout the course of a typical workday might be perplexing. The "time off" tool, for example, may lead you to believe that it displays information about your own personal time off at work, but it actually displays information about the vacation time taken by your team. You have to enter another option to be able to appreciate your free time and it is usually confusing

• Industry: Human Resources
  • Used for 1+ year

‘A platform for employees to speak-up’

Reviewed on 16/4/2019

comparatively, ‘workday’ is an efficient, effective and affordable system for an above average organization.

Pros

Many companies lose their talented employees due to failures by the top management to recognize the contributions made by certain employees for the growth of the organization, which goes unnoticed by the hierarchy which creates a negative opinion towards the management by those employees. HCM tool makes a positive impact as a go-between the employee and management and WORKDAY has made substantial developments with this regard. ‘Workday’ HCM has given the employees all the freedom to put on record their contributions/ achievements, goals, training requirements, etc which has almost totally brought to halt human ignorance/negligence of appraisers during evaluations and give due recognition to each employee according to the employee value to the company. ‘Workday’ has many features that help both the management and employees to know each other better and make justifiable decisions. With an advanced HCM such as ‘workday’, it is not only the HR head, but the whole top management is aware of the positives and negatives of the members of the organization which strengthens the transparency of the decision makers. With ‘workday’, the management doesn’t need to wait till the due period for performance appraisals, but identify ‘real-time’ the value of certain talents and apply sensible decisions to recognize such employees. ‘workday’ comes with an attractive UI which is a pleasing plus point. Additionally, it supports multiple devices which are useful on the go.

Cons

so many beneficial features are incorporated in the system that it takes a fairly big effort to familiarize. As this is a HR centered software with access to each member, we find difficulties in getting the full potential due to cultural diversities by way of language barriers (non-English speakers).

Kayla H.
  • Industry: Banking

Best HCM Option

Reviewed on 24/6/2022

Great HCM. By far the best I have worked with in my HR career.

Pros

Workday is not perfect, but it is the best HCM software that I have used. You can integrate almost every aspect of HR into one platform. The employee self service is easy to use.

Cons

It can be time consuming / a big lift to implement and deploy new modules within Workday, especially if you don't have a knowledgeable Workday team dedicated to the project. I have worked on small Workday implementation teams where we learned as we went along (it's painful) and I have worked with Workday consultants who do all of the work. I highly recommend hiring experts for the implementations. You are paying a lot for the software and want to make sure it is setup properly and getting the full value.

New HR Tool brings some challenges and benefits

Reviewed on 20/8/2019

MY organization switched over to Workday and I had the chance to use this tool for a while now. I'll say that it's a lot easier to pick up and the available info to learn it was easy to grasp as well.

Pros

You can pretty much find any HR related features/questions/information in one spot. I was able to consolidate my benefits options, PTO, reviews, in one spot. I also think that it's certainly more robust/ takes a lot less down time than our previous software. Besides that Workday comes with the standard user logins, password setup, online time-sheet, etc. that I expect.

I really like the ability to edit my own info very fast. I can change things like benefits or dependencies quickly rather than going directly to my HR's office.

Cons

My one complaint is that I used to be able to directly edit some of my team member's info and reviews from our old platform on my own. I think whether it's due to lack of access rights or just how my HR department has set it up, I can't do that any longer. It's a more lengthy process of getting it manually updated from my end and through some parties outside my immediate department.

• Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

Money pit - a software company that charges you for regular updates to their software

Reviewed on 11/9/2020

Everything you do with Workday costs money. Forget the annual licence cost, that's only part of it - every time you send an email or phone support you are on the clock. Twice a year when the software gets updated you are required to pay consulting fees to Workday or one of their service partners to test that the update actually works at your end. Most new features and enhancements are not provided for free as part of these updates, so you have to purchase them. Third party applications that supposedly integrate with Workday only do so after you pay thousands of dollars for Workday to set that up for you. Hidden costs everywhere - you need to budget for 25-50% per annum in service and other costs on top of your annual licence fee. Be warned - it is a unique business model in the software world.

Pros

The workflows are really good, particularly for recruitment and performance management

Cons

The interface is unusual from a UX perspective, and everything is very rigid. Workday offers little flexibility or user customisation, unless you are happy to spend a fortune with one of their service partners. Their expensive user training courses are absolutely appalling for adult learners - 4 days in a classroom flicking through a 500 page bound workbook, anyone?

• Industry: Accounting

Learning Curve, but Allows for a lot of Consolidation

Reviewed on 20/10/2020

Complex so far, but also rewarding to have a single platform to build off of. There are a lot of things that need to be monitored at once, but again, having things consolidated will make those efforts much easier, along with leveraging the consistent updates from Workday.

Pros

Consolidating one-off software into a single solution. We were utilizing separate candidate tracking software, performance review software, employee profile details, and more. Workday offers all of this, and once everything was ported over, it has become much easier to manage and there are now several other offerings that can be taken advantage of from a data analysis and management standpoint.

Cons

The onboarding and internal training required is extremely robust, however, essential. This is not an overnight switch, it will take a lot of time and internal training, to achieve the top uses of this powerful platform, but the expectation is that it will be very worthwhile.

Ben J.
  • Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

Difficult to learn without paying for courses but still a solid option

Reviewed on 3/8/2017

I have only been using Workday for a few months. After taking all of the integration courses and starting to build integrations I am reasonably comfortable with the back end but no front end knowledge which is required to test at least the inbound integrations. Be prepared to spend days researching certain topics before coming up with answers. I recommend hiring a consultant to help in house developers learn the tools and functionality if you decide to go with Workday.

Pros

-Basic functionality for end users is intuitive and easy to use.
-Lots of options for integration with third parties
-Easy to use, custom, report capability with the option to expose reports as services (RaaS).
-Fairly easy to learn and use add-in for Eclipse for complicated integrations (Workday Studio).

Cons

-Training is expensive and is basically required to do an implementation due to lack of available reference material. Recording the online training for future reference is not permitted
-The workday community site is cumbersome (searches are not ranked according to relevancy and it can take many hours to find what you are looking for). Some workday studio components don't seem to be documented at all on the site.
-Certain functionality and community information is only provided to "Workday Implementation partners" which makes it nearly impossible to implement in-house without paying to outsource some of the work to a workday partner.
-Workday doesn't seem to have been built with performance in mind. Even with server side paging, reports and integrations are very slow.
-Lots of "hidden features." This would normally be a bonus but more advanced tasks require the user to know exactly what to search for from the application's search feature. Most of the functionality of workday is hidden in search results and isn't intuitively exposed in the UI.

Ryan D.
  • Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

Great for managing Comp workflows, but not for analytics/reporting

Reviewed on 3/6/2019

Pros

1) Ability to audit change logs: who made what change when, who was it approved by, was it later edited or rescinded, etc.
2) The ability to mass rescind changes is a lifesaver; you can filter by data input date range, specific input files, individuals / business units, etc.
3) Quick learning curve to get familiar with the interface, new comp team members can get ramped up in no time.

Cons

1) While reporting within the tool does exist, I always found it lackluster compared to what we could build on top of it with Tableau or custom dashboard tools.
2) Doesn't do a great job of interacting with equity data, particularly vesting data. We always created custom tables in SQL and fed them into Workday for reporting purposes, didn't trust using it as the system of record for equity.
3) Difficult to make corrections to a comp change record without manually rescinding and updating subsequent comp changes (which can be VERY tedious).

Michael B.

Workday is the best HRIS

Reviewed on 1/7/2021

It's been an incredibly positive experience. It's intuitive, efficient, and gets the job done quicker and more accurately.

Pros

I was in HR for a long time and have a lot of experience with HRIS systems. Workday is far ahead of the rest and it's so simple, intuitive, and organized to help me complete tasks faster. In a previous role, I used ADP and the system is incredibly archaic. It would take me 10 minutes to find an employee's compensation, you weren't able to change an employee's manager without submitting a form to the HR Support team, etc. Workday is a gem in the HRIS world.

I also love that it's an all-in-one tool that enables me to focus on the full lifecycle of the employee - from the job application through termination of employment. Leaders are also more self-sufficient due to the ease of use, which saves a tremendous amount of time.

Cons

The only issue I have is being able to update goals throughout the year to keep track. When I do that, it goes back to my manager for approval and I'd love to avoid that.

Adam ¿.

Fantastic software for all of your HR solutions

Reviewed on 16/1/2022

Expense reports are the main thing I use Workday for. The biggest benefit is how straightforward it is for a manager to review the expense reports entered by an employee, with the possibility of delegates designated for managing the expense reports for the manager. System also works very well for time off management and business trip reimbursement management.

Pros

I like the simplicity of entering expense reports, which can even be done by scanning the receipts by your phone. Everyone can do this easily by mobile app or web based application. Workday is very complex and contains all your HR data including your pay and position, and you can easily see things like your career progress and your CV. The system is connected to our Microsoft Accounts solutions and works very well alongside of it.

Cons

The system is sometimes working slower than you'd like. Currency conversion could be improved, as of right now it's easier for accounting purposes to find the current conversion rate at the national bank and use the conversed amount. The software could go a little faster, with bigger number of expense reports, the system slows down and it's harder to input new data into the system. However, this can be momentarily fixed by creating more reports instead of one huge one.

Shaun P.
  • Industry: Fund-Raising

Workday will make your day go more than okay!

Reviewed on 23/12/2019

Workday I am so glad it is becoming a lot more common in the industry and I love the convenience that the product provides to the consumer. It expedites the process of applying to positions on a lot of major corporations' websites.

Pros

I love the fact that you can upload your file onto their platform and everything is already prefilled in for you with great accuracy. Yes, other sites do offer that same kind of service but I do notice when applying the file onto the form to prefill, most other sites aren't as good in entering data in the correct fields. The interface is easy to use as well and does not take a long time to load.

Cons

The only thing that I don't like about the product is the fact that depending on the carrier using the product, your account may or may not be saved. Which is no big deal, you just create another account for each consumer's page you are visiting and wish to register on.