Microsoft Dynamics GP

3.8/5
3.5/5
3.6/5

113 Software options

Not quite caught up to newer software

Reviewed on 29/9/2020

I have used Microsoft Dynamics GP for over 20 years for various companies. The distribution modules are pretty strong and I have used those in many industries. There are a lot of options available now for automation and workflows which save time as well as missed opportunities. I have also been able to connect Dynamics GP to many external industry specific programs, saving data entry and errors.

Pros

It has a very strong financial backbone. Users are forced to view and verify accounting data during transactions in many areas. Since the software has been around for many years, there are a lot of ISVs offering add-on products for various needs. The backend is strong in that it is MS SQL Server.

Cons

There are some features that do not automatically come as part of the main package. Reporting, operational and financial, has been all over the place and is still not where it needs to be. There is not a lot of remote capabilities.

Acumatica Cloud ERP and Quickbooks Online

Reasons for Switching to Microsoft Dynamics GP

Dynamics GP is more robust than Quickbooks and has more security features. It focuses on maintaining an accurate set of books rather than just speed of entry. Accumatica did not seem to force a lot of awareness about general ledger aspect of transactions and had a lack of tracing/linking to source transactions.
Jana Y.
  • Industry: Civic & Social Organization

2018 Is Better than the last

Reviewed on 20/11/2018

Pros

I like the fact that I can sort things easier. For example when I'm looking for a specific invoice I can sort by date document type, number, etc. It makes things much easier. I know there are many things as a company we are not utilizing and would like to be able to.

Cons

I feel like there should be more advanced options when it comes to running such things as Trial Balance. I also wish there was more help with smart list. Maybe some kind of training video in the help module.

Tiffany C.

2 years in to using GP16 and am comfortable navigating

Reviewed on 19/7/2018

Pros

Our company has been able to implement many customizations for our needs. Once you learn where everything is, there is almost no end to how you can view data. The smart lists are amazing for compiling what you need in particular.

Cons

The interface is not the most user friendly. There can be many clicks before you get to where you need to be.

Basil B.
  • Industry: Textiles
  • Company size: 5,001-10,000 Employees

Microsoft dynamics GP is a good ERP software package.

Reviewed on 16/1/2021

Very good experience with this software.very easy to use and good speed

Pros

Microsoft dynamics GP has a very effective PP module.It is used for production Planning and very easily everyone can make Master production schedule & Material Requirement plans..

Cons

It requires more updates and developments

Katie P.

Dynamics GP is a great Software for my needs.

Reviewed on 19/7/2018

This software is very user friendly.

Pros

Easy to use, very functional for our needs. Customer services is great and alwasy quick to respond.

Cons

The help function is a little hard to navigate which is why I either submit a support ticket or call when help is needed.

Heather K.
  • Industry: Primary/Secondary Education

Microsoft Dynamics GP

Reviewed on 1/6/2015

Pros

Microsoft Dynamics GP is user friendly. It is easy to print trial balances and perform inquiries. Creating new accounts and entering journal entries are very straight forward. Management Reporter - the reporting package with Microsoft Dynamics GP is a step up from FRx.

Cons

One thing I find a bit confusing is creating smart lists. I'm sure with additional training, it would be much easier but this is the one area that I find not quite intuitive.

Eileen T.
  • Industry: Logistics & Supply Chain

User

Reviewed on 6/6/2017

Like to have drilldown function

Pros

We use Microsoft Dynamics as our accounting software. We are a wholesale industry. We feel it is easy to use.

Cons

We think it has a limited search function. Like drill down the information to the original entries.

Helen Z.
  • Industry: Management Consulting

Purchasing and Sales Module

Reviewed on 19/10/2016

I use Purchasing and Sales Module for the most of my time. Purchasing Module is excellent and easy to use. That will be even better if I could write more words in the description area. I really like the document Number setting. It avoids duplicate invoices. Sales Module has more functions which we don't need. But I like the automatic invoice emailing function. You don't have to print the invoice, scan it and send it. It saved us a lot of paper and time. The most useful part would be financial reports. You could generate any report you like and save them in your favourite smart list.

Pros

It could avoid duplicate invoice payments and it also could send invoice automatically. It could generate report very quickly and save it as your favourite Smart report.

Cons

The words size for viewing is too small and the words which you could write in description area is not enough sometimes. It's complicated to get a report at the beginning when you are not familiar with it.

Joseph S.
  • Industry: Mechanical or Industrial Engineering

Good ability to drill down it details.

Reviewed on 10/10/2017

Pros

The software is relatively friendly for accountants. It allows you to drill down in the details of transactions.

Cons

The software is not as friendly or intuitive for those inputting transactions. You really have to search when trying to find what all needs updated or input.

Sequoia M.
  • Industry: Management Consulting

Powerhouse CRM

Reviewed on 8/5/2018

Pros

We use this platform through our clients to update our regions projected projects. The program is a power house and allows our client to segment different departments/regions and isolate us to just that region. We had problems with uploading content into a project but a recent update made it extremely easy for use to update content and automate other section.

Cons

We required training to use this program. The login process and overall navigation was a bit confusing at first.

Meghan Y.

DO NOT USE FOR PAYROLL

Reviewed on 13/2/2021

I hate it so much that I am writing this review on a Friday night, while I wait to see if I anything I or IT can do will make it possible for my workers to get paid on time next week.

Pros

Nothing. I even hate the cutesy "wait while we get things ready for you" splash screen.

Cons

This is a terrible, horrible, very bad way for people to turn in timecards. I don't know whether it is actually saving the accountants any time, but it has turned the bi-weekly chore of turning in my own timecard and approving my subordinates' timecards a nightmare. It is kludgy and confusing, and about every other pay period something breaks and it takes hours to figure out what is wrong. This is a universal experience with the system for every employee and supervisor I have spoken with, except that many folks have had worse problems--some of our employees have gone up to two months without getting paid! It's incompetence bordering on criminal negligence.

Tina Y.
  • Industry: Accounting

Good accounting software

Reviewed on 9/5/2018

Pros

The reports export to excel format nicely and are easy to customized the columns to meet your needs.

Cons

The GL account description does not show up when entering the account codes in any module so you wouldn't really notice if you keyed in the wrong account.

Ahmed H.
  • Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

a little complex but still working

Reviewed on 9/11/2017

Pros

the integrated smart list is the best feature in this ERP as i can extract all historical data through it

Cons

could not extract a ledger regarding an account involved all debit and credit transactions with the interchange accounts

Janet S.
  • Industry: Insurance

Very robust product, not good fit if you don't need all the features.

Reviewed on 26/8/2016

Pros

GP has great potential for large companies. But we do not have to keep track of inventories, and we do not use GP to track our sales or supply chains. This means we don't get to use many of the features.

Cons

GP does not integrate well with any non-Microsoft product, causing constant issues. It is also very difficult to learn to use quickly. The product is very robust, but is not user-friendly, and we had to constantly try to customize the way we used it to make it work for us. We also had issues with accounting functions, such as integrating reports and learning how to generate special reports.

Byron R.
  • Industry: Accounting

ME AND GP!

Reviewed on 28/5/2015

Pros

I am just getting started with GP but the move has been planned for sometime. We wanted an integrated platform for our business and since we chose MS 365 in the cloud and CRM GP was a natural choice, but we did look at others. One had no payroll module, others were excellent but really didn't work within the MS CRM program, and the QuickBooks interface did not appeal to us.

Cons

GP is a full accounting program so if you're an accountant it will feel quite right. It does take training, but the hardest problem was talking to so many MS "partners" because the installation, hosting, and training proposals varied widely! Shop around. I found mine by watching YouTube videos and calling the one whose video I liked.

Elisa S.

Great Plains limitations

Reviewed on 5/9/2017

Would not recommend this product.

Pros

I wish I could say something wonderful about this product but there are so many things that are not great.

Cons

Limitations: on amount of information allow to enter into fields in all modules, report writer is the worst.

Joshua S.
  • Industry: Pharmaceuticals

Not the best, but it gets the job done

Reviewed on 13/4/2016

Pros

The fact that it's Microsoft means that it will at least work with Windows...and that going from one version of Windows to another shouldn't be too traumatizing.

Cons

It doesn't have all the features that a system of its kind should have.

Mahmoud R.
  • Industry: Oil & Energy
  • Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

Reviewed on 22/4/2017

Sujit N.
  • Industry: Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing

Superb product

Reviewed on 21/11/2016

An excellent product with rich UI and features which helps reduce a lot of time and man power.

Pros

Rich UI and easy to use features

Jeffrey R.

It is amazing

Reviewed on 22/8/2017

Pros

It is the opposite of slow to use. Didn't take me a while to learn how to operate the system. I have had a good time with customer support.

Cons

There is nothing wrong with the software other than that it cannot be used online. I wish that was changed.

Antonio M.
  • Used for 1-5 months

Useful but too much visual disorder

Reviewed on 19/11/2018

Pros

It's easy, it looks like a normal software that you are used to using. There would be no problem with filling up the fields and setting the list of data

Cons

It is a visual disorder that might cause fatigue and maybe you could have the same functionalities from other software because it doesn't show a different platform

Alan R.
  • Company size: 501-1,000 Employees
  • Used Monthly for Free Trial

Microsoft Dynamics is garbage.

Reviewed on 22/8/2017

Cons

It is very slow to use. It took me a while to learn how to operate the system. I have not had a good time with customer support.

Mike M.

Takes some getting used to

Reviewed on 26/10/2021

Pros

Dynamics has all the features necessary for financial management and reporting

Cons

It has taken our team quite a while to get up to speed with Dynamics, I think the UI could be more intuitive and some of the tools could be better laid out

Una H.
  • Industry: Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing

Solid mid market ERP system

Reviewed on 16/9/2016

Pros

It is a comprehensive solution, with solid add-ons to compensate for deficits in the core system. We run a manufacturing operation with deep. multi level BOMs and FIFO costing, GP manages it very well. AP, AR and GL are solid.

The smartlists are a nice reporting tool, where you can drop the data into excel for easy analysis.

Cons

The front end has a clunky feel. On the back end trying to find the table the data is stored in takes a lot of time so the learning curve from a reporting sense is very long. The SQL tables are sparse - so you could end up having to add several tables to a query just so you can connect the one table you need. Report writing process is long and arduous initially. It is really expensive to upgrade. Other solutions in past lives have required minimal tech support to upgrade, this is a major process to upgrade and therefore very expensive.

Wassim R.

Reliable software

Reviewed on 18/8/2020

Good experience

Pros

It's very reliable, scalable, has deep functionality and is well served by a large number of add-on vertical and other solutions

Cons

The user interface is quite old and does not resemble what modern day users would expect

Dynamics 365