1,801 reviews

1,801 reviews
Vicente jose R.
  • Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

Useful for a large organization

Reviewed on 21/12/2020

This is the best documenting tool I have used but I think it could be a bit better. It allows documenting and sharing between many collaborators, who need to be careful so things do not get messy (I wish Confluence did it by itself somehow). Sometimes it takes a bit too long to load.

Pros

Confluence is definitely a good documenting tool. For large organizations, it helps with the documentation, that can be shared easily. It allows linking different documents, so that's very good when documenting many pieces of the same project. It includes a very useful search bar

Cons

You can get easily lost if people in the organization are messy. Sometimes it is not easy to navigate through all the pages

Bernard R.

Awesome for collaboration

Reviewed on 12/3/2021

Overall I have been happy with the ease of setup and document Management. Some simple features like table filtering could be useful rather than purchasing add one.

Pros

Three collaborative way it allows everyone to view and work on one document. The integration with Jira has been instrumental in allowing our projects to keep a track of issues relating to documentation.

Cons

I don't enjoy the fact that everytime I need a feature that isn't part of confluence I have to pay more money.

Michael J.
  • Company size: 5,001-10,000 Employees

The Knowledge Base King

Reviewed on 9/2/2021

My experience with Confluence has been nothing but positive - it really takes a lot of weight of stress off of the shoulders of my technical teams and makes KM easy for our tech leads.

Pros

If you’re creating a knowledge base, you need Confluence. The knowledge management features and the tracking capabilities allow for the integrity you need in a quality KM tool.

Cons

It can be a big of a bear to create new pages and create links between pages. It’s by no means impossible, but if you’re not sure if what you’re doing, it’s easy to muck it up.

Praveen K.

I highly recommend this product for all corporate companies.

Reviewed on 20/10/2020

Overall I'm very happy with this product, without confluence it's impossible to maintain the knowledge article in our team.
It helps everyone across the team. Thanks to the confluence team for such a wonderful product.

Pros

It comes with rich features, below are a few features which I personally liked:

1. Documentation: When there are some important knowledge articles that need to be shared with the team, we use this tool. It comes with multiple options to make the page feels catchy and rich, it also allows us to attach the images.

2. Search Functionality: When there are 1000s of confluence pages, and if I want to access the page containing a specific word or a line, the search engine works like a champ it finds the pages almost immediately, this feature really helps me in easing my office work.

3. It displays the name of the person who had created the page and last modified person name, this helps to know whom to reach out to when we need additional info pertaining to the details as written on the page. And if required we can add the approvals, thus whenever someone edits the document without your consent changes won't reflect others until you approve the updates.

4. Like and Comments: Similar to social media, readers can either hit like if they like the content or they can mention their feedback in the comment section, this feature really helped me while suggesting something to the author or express my thanks via a LIKE.

Cons

There should've been an option to keep the page in draft before publishing it. But unfortunately, there is no such feature in confluence.
Apart from this, I didn't find any other flaws in the software.

Jinan S.

Jira is incomplete without confluence!

Reviewed on 11/7/2020

Overall, I am very satisfied with the confluence. Multiple architects collectively decided to use that over Sharepoint. The key reason is the seamless integration between these two products (Jira and Confluence). For an example, by simply writing the issue key on confluence page would automatically create the link to Jira ticket while reflecting the status of the ticket. This would allow visibility for Release Planning, while allowing you to write an appropriate decisions such as Go-No-Go on the same page.

Pros

Confluence offers pretty good UI for creating excellent documents (requirements or design). It does support pretty much all features of Microsoft word for creating a great documentation. Between all Atlasssian products, if you are tight on budget, I would suggest you to get Jira and confluence combo. It’s indeed great tool combo for the remote agile teams to work together due to their seamless integration.

Cons

One thing that I loved on the share point that’s not great with confluence is integration with the Microsoft office products. To be very frank, I feel this is not a big drawback as now a days, web interface is pretty much replacing the traditional interface.

Catherine G.
  • Industry: Public Policy

It should be taken seriously

Reviewed on 10/10/2018

As I mentioned before, I use it as a company wide manual where all employees have to leaf through it whenever they have a question on a certain procedure and if they have any changes they'd like to make to any old methods then they are encouraged to make the edits to keep the company knowledge up to speed.

Pros

Confluence is great for creating company manuals or documenting company procedures. Think of it as a formal business blog or a wiki where you can keep a record of anything from basic tables outlining company info to company policies which can then be shared with the rest of the employees so that they can in turn, learn and input their own observations and knowledge. It organizes the pages for you and it makes it easy for anyone to search, edit and add new pages to keep the knowledge growing. At my company, we use it as a manual and all new employees have to read through it as part of their training. It allows you to add photos or videos to document special past events or to just simply make the page more interesting. The formatting ribbon looks similar to Microsoft word's so if you have experience with using a Word document then it should be no problem using the different types of formating options and if you have no experience then you'll get the hang of it pretty soon as it's fairly easy to deduce what each button does. I love how it is able to save any edits you make to a page and it doesn't publish it until you are ready so you are able to make new pages and edit old ones at your own pace and once you are done you can click on "publish". It alows you to restrict what other people can and cannot edit, it sends notifications to those who have a user in your account. I would recommend it.

Cons

The interface could use more color or some pizzazz as it looks pretty dull and it reminds me of an electric appliance manual: gray and boring to the point that you feel like throwing it away but then you are too afraid to do so because you may never know when you might need it. But then again, I use it as a company manual so I can't do much there, I'm guessing if you want something prettier then go get a blogging account but Confluence gets straight to the point and it should be taken seriously.

A robust and feature-rich collaboration/documentation software that sets the standard

Reviewed on 7/2/2018

The best wiki/collaboration/documentation software I've used professionally.

Pros

- Lots of visual tools for organizing information, as well as molding communications: gliffy diagrams, code blocks, cells, spreadsheets.
- Permissions model for segmenting information is greatly useful for organizations that create lots of documents and require some controls on searching and access to documents based on role.
- Web-based interface for administrators of Confluence is convenient for managing content, delegation and authorization work.
- There are many free software solutions in this sector of software, but generally require significant development to provide the value and features offered by confluence out of the box.
- Development and improvements continue to be deployed, Confluence has not been static
- Add-ons available through Atlassian marketplace to allow for further feature-adds for organization needs. I work in an IT environment, and diagrams for networks, software, process flows are invaluable for documentation purposes.
- Shortcut commands for savvy power users saves lots of time inserting tools and setting up formatting with ease, once you are aware them.

Cons

- Having used confluence for over 6 years, I have seen Confluence become more reliable with every update. At times, when something would go wrong with text formatting (bullet point indentation, for example), a power user could go to a tab of the document page you were working on, and edit the markup language of the page to correct the quirky formatting issue. This feature was removed. To the credit of Confluence, fixing such issues is less and less necessary, but power users like myself still miss it.
- The permissions models can be confusing at times, even for highly technical people supporting the software. I do not think this is an issue with Confluence, but rather, a caution to administrators who approach permissions from different eco-systems.

Anna M.
  • Industry: Legal Services

Awesome

Reviewed on 21/1/2016

Company: Midsize
Industry: Legal
Documentation is my bread & butter and I have never used a better solution than Confluence. I also use JIRA and JIRA Service Desk, which taken all together amount to a mostly-seamless solution for all of my documentation needs!

Pros

With Confluence we have an environment that is very efficient to work in to add new content, very easy to update articles and manage file attachments. The keyboard shortcuts are second to none. It is an absolute pleasure to work in Confluence all day. Setting up spaces for various audiences, including a "personal space" allows me to draft documents privately and then move the document over into a space with an audience. Effectively I can "publish" content to employees with a couple of mouse clicks.

Permissions are very well thought out. The permission scheme is based on spaces, individuals and groups, with flexibility from super-locked-down to wide open on the public internet. It allows control of various actions per person or per group, and affords us maximum utility of the product. People within the business are dreaming up different ways to use it faster than we can implement them.

As with any full-featured system that allows you total control as an administrator, successful use of the product requires that you lay out your business requirements clearly first so that there are no unexpected outcomes. Establishing best practices for content creators within the system is also advisable.

I have used other systems in the past, notably MediaWiki and SharePoint, and while I enjoyed them at the time, Confluence blows everything else out of the water. The control and flexibility is unparalleled and the product has obviously been designed for use in environments where project priorities, staff hierarchies, etc can experience rapid significant change.

I also highly recommend the Atlassian sister product JIRA and add-on JIRA Service Desk for task based work management. It is incredibly useful.

Cons

With great power comes great responsibility and great potential to make an absolute mess of things. Deployment of this tool to a large user base would require some serious preparation to establish access schemes, permissions for user groups, best practices for editing and creating new content, and organizing content within the spaces. End user training is critical to cement those rules and establish a culture around using it effectively. I would not recommend deploying this tool in a slapdash hurry (Although, given it's innate flexibility, it would be easier to correct it later with Confluence than some of its competitors!)

Kedar mendhurwar C.
  • Industry: Telecommunications

A must have documentation tool

Reviewed on 4/11/2020

I spend on an average at least 3-4 hours on confluence everydays since past 6 years. It has become one of the most essential tool for us.

Pros

I have been using confluence since past 8 years where I have used it as a user, managed it and also deployed it in several organizations. Confluence really changed the game of documentation and has helped teams build internal documentation in no time. Confluence cloud allows to make the documentation space more scalable. The solution is so popular it can be integrated with most of the solutions.

Cons

The customer support is not the best as Atlassian reliés more on the community support.

Karan S.
  • Industry: Media Production

A Simple and Effective Wiki

Reviewed on 5/2/2020

Confluence is great and currently indispensable tool for our workflow. When we're building a new product or feature, our stories go into JIRA and our documentation lives within Confluence. We also use Confluence for onboarding new employees - our stack, endpoints, databases that we use and documentation have their own Confluence space.

We also keep information on existing products we've built and organize them based on tech stack - if you want to look at a Golang or Node.js project, you can easily find it with the way that we've built our spaces. It's proved extremely useful to use these spaces as case studies for future products.

Pros

The beauty of Confluence is its simplicity - while it allows users to organize information in their own preferred way, there is only so much you can do with it. As a result, you can go through multiple Confluence pages and be able to navigate them effectively. A Confluence page can host multiple filetypes - this is useful for doing something like gathering and organizing business requirements for a new product. Mockups can be stored, people can be tagged to be included and notes can be kept, all in one place.

Cons

There is no "draft" preview of a Confluence page - edits are live. I've seen plenty of errors left behind after someone has collaboratively edited a Confluence page and I've often gone in to fix them myself.

Search is difficult - while you can filter down based on certain parameters, if you don't know what exactly you're looking for and have a large number of Confluence pages, querying may be tricky.

Jaime S.
  • Industry: Transportation/Trucking/Railroad

Confluence an Atlassian Product

Reviewed on 18/6/2020

Overall experience is very acceptable. Administering the site from a both security and content perspective has a very small learning curve. The ability to create categories within sight spaces is a plus. You can have a site space for documentation, teams, and knowledge base collaboration.

Pros

The software provides what's called “Space”. The Space serves as a work area where users can provide feedback depending on what their space is used for. Developers can add documents regarding there application development, helpdesk environments can add documents that provide how-to scenarios, and with the number of plugins that are available for confluence there's endless tools available for helping users, developers, and contributors to the manage there space a lot more easily. With this collaboration tool, our enterprise is able to communicate effectively and efficiently across multi departments.

Cons

When creating a space, pages would have a better appeal if formatting was a little more robust. Currently there are several templates that can be assigned however formatting content on the templates , adding pictures , resizing and alignment of the pictures can be a bit cumbersome.

Manas M.
  • Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

Confluence provides a platform to create a wiki document of everything we work on

Reviewed on 19/12/2020

Documenting all the details at one place like a wiki, which has good interface and permission model, its very use full for preserving knowledge and sharing it accrues the organisation, had a good experience with it

Pros

Maintaining a wiki document of each granular details of our product and other designee and architecture helps in the knowledge transfer between you ant any other member in the organisations, and guidance to setup , steps to integrate etc ..

we need a platform to this privet wiki development and maintenance process which confluence takes care of,

confluence has any cool features, maintaining directory structure, charing commenting and liking on a document, email notifications, exporting the wiki space, import etc..

export feature is a advanced one, along with the traditional export's like in pdf txt html etc , it also support xml export , this format can be imported into different Confluence server

it has selective export features, this functionality can come in handy in ties of organisation split or acquisition, where you have to export from one organisation's Confluence server and import it into that of other's

it has good editor to draw architectural diagrams etc

it keep tracks of view count and dates all other analytical metrics etc

Cons

I feel email notifications are to much , i think we can do some settings for this because recently i am not receiving that many emails, may be they have fixed it,
other than this tool serves the purpose well

• Industry: Philanthropy
  • Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

Confluence - A truly collaborative application.

Reviewed on 1/2/2019

Overall, I highly recommend Confluence for any organization that is looking for collaborative software. It is extremely useful and easy to learn.

Pros

Confluence is incredibly easy to use. It is designed to be a collaborative tool, to share information (wiki-style), documents, photos, etc. Our organization has been stuck on SharePoint for so long that there are documents for days upon years stacked up in unused libraries. Confluence has been a lifesaver for us by allowing us to rid the libraries of these outdated documents and placing the content we need access to right there on the page. If a template is needed, we can add that template to the page for download. We can link to other Confluence pages for additional or related information and build child pages to help dive deeper into a topic. We also utilize JIRA for our ticketing system and since Confluence and JIRA are both owned by Atlassian, we can integrate metrics, reporting, dashboards, and other information from JIRA in a way that is consumable within Confluence. We also can add Tableau reports, Excel spreadsheets, PowerPoint presentations, Adobe PDFs, etc. It works extremely well with other applications.

Cons

My least favorite part about Confluence is its limited page customization from a font and color perspective. It will also only allow up to three columns and other formatting limitations. There might be macros to overcome this, but that is also frustrating. Macros have been built to "fix" things within Confluence by hundreds (if not thousands) of other individuals and companies. Many sell those macros and varying costs. It has forced us as an organization to maintain a dev environment just to ensure that a macro that we bring in isn't malicious. Confluence's base macros are extremely basic and sometimes not very useful.

Great software for both internal- and external-facing documentation

Reviewed on 30/3/2018

Confluence is a more than capable page for generating support documentation.

Pros

I liked that Confluence is really easy-to-use. A GUI editor means that you can just write things down even if you don't have any background in markdown. Inserting screen captures into your documentation pages is also easy, as all you have to do is copy, then drop the captures into the page, without needing to save them beforehand. Confluence has everything my team needs for coming up with comprehensive support documents. There are also many third-party plugins you can use for your documents, e.g. for generating PDF copies and formatting print-friendly pages.

Cons

Although the GUI editor is cool, at times, particularly when I want to customize a page, it's also its biggest drawback. You can't customize the page at all. Moreover, there are times when Confluence takes too long a time to load. Lastly, although documentation is comprehensive, at times, you have to do a lot of digging before you can find the appropriate support page for a feature. This might be because of the software's broad list of features. Many of the third-party plugins are also quite expensive.

Confluence Software Review

Reviewed on 17/12/2019

Overall I will recommend this and really it will help you to organize your project

Pros

It's very good alternative for SharePoint sites in terms of its look and UI which is user friendly. It has more options to design your pages for any information you can share with team and also I like the 'watch me' feature which will not full your inbox unnecessarily based on your watch me preference.

I loved working with it and created many art icles and how to do information with hyperlinks on it. Also it's connectivity with JiRa really helps us to go directly to our Sprint stories with single sign on

Cons

It should have Auto update on the Jira from confluence.
Also for first time user its little difficult to understand how to create pages and navigate to desire path. It should have some guidelines in pictorial ways .

Also if therw is any possibility of integration with automation tools like UFT it will good

Heather Z.
  • Industry: Media Production

Confluence: the documentation dominator!

Reviewed on 26/3/2019

Confluence is our documentation heavy-hitter. And we don't just use it as a system of record, but we also use it to share information cross-company. In almost all instances it has replaced the need for emails, shared drives, and online documents! It's nice having everything (securely) in one place, right at your fingertips.

Pros

In the hectic world we live in today, it seems like a bigger challenge to take a few beats to write things down. My team has become a champion of documentation, but often the larger issue is overlooked: where will this documentation live so that it is accessible and can continue to evolve?! Confluence was the perfect solution!! We have paved the way on the documentation frontier and the rest of the organization has finally jumped on board. Confluence not only allows for cross-team collaboration, but it's a magnificent way to organize and share documentation.

Cons

You really need a game plan when organizing your documentation in how Confluence sets up the hierarchies and the rich text editor format may take a little to get used to if you are coming from other documentation products.

Dinu P.

Confluence successfully brings all the business knowledge together.

Reviewed on 19/11/2020

Confluence is not only a product name but a definition of how this solution works. I found working on projects in Confluence easy and intuitive - for a growing business, it's a must.

Pros

It was so refreshing moving from folders within folders for all our processes and policies and centralizing everything in confluence. No need for long emails to specific teams advising of changes, Confluence notifies all relevant members automatically when things change. Keeping track of meetings and collecting feedback is also very useful, but where Confluence shines the brightest is in its ability to manage the information flow of complex projects. It's easy to bring all the relevant knowledge on a project page, receive and action comments from colleagues.

Cons

Keeping up to date documents uploaded to Confluence is not the easiest. If you upload a document and then change it in its location, the outdated copy will remain on Confluence and you will need to re-upload. There are fixes around this, but they are not simple. It's not a deal-breaker, but something to consider.

Industry standard for technical knowledge management

Reviewed on 1/12/2020

Confluence has been a very good platform to catalogue and store knowledge across the organization. It can be a powerful source of truth for the business if kept current and maintained.

Pros

This platform has been used extensively by engineering teams for many years as a repository for information on projects and it is obviously built with engineers in mind. There are a ton of features and functionalities that are useful and this platform makes it fairly easy to create detailed sub-pages for nuanced areas of a larger topic, add photos and graphs, and comments to articles.

Cons

It's difficult to learn how to build truly useful pages on confluence because there are so many features. I've found it hard to create pages with photos, graphs, and links to sub-pages while learning the platform, but once learned it's easy to replicate. This platform has evolved a good deal to be a more general knowledge repository but it is still geared towards engineers and the technical areas of the business and could benefit from better UX for non-technical users.

Daniel K.

Great hub for company wide documentations but it's difficult to learn

Reviewed on 16/2/2021

Overall, I do like the look and feel of confluence when reading and navigating on confluence. It is not a perfect product as there are minor bugs & issues one can run into (confluence editing lags if it is somewhat large), but I wouldn't want to switch from it. It's a tool that received lots of effort so switching from it would be a lot of work and effort.

Pros

I very much like the fact that it is the internal company "wikipedia"and there is a central place where all departments can put their documentation and is accessible by the whole company. Basically, if it's not on confluence it "doesn't exist".

Cons

After the newer confluence update (1-2 years ago) the usability of the product drastically became much more difficult and features like hyperlinking images disappeared making it impossible to edit older pages. It is getting better with updates, however, that was quite a frustrating experience for existing users.

Searching confluence can also be quite a pain. If you wish to simply search for keywords the suggested pages are not in a logical order.

• Industry: Telecommunications

Agility and Feature rich

Reviewed on 22/9/2020

We love confluence, we are using it as Intranet and wiki page for internal users. Inside and outside teams. This is the perfect replacement of Microsoft Sharepoint.

Pros

Confluence is used as our Intranet. Not only we are able to customize team-based site but as well as global communications and document share throughout the company. We like the tool, the power and the easiness.

Cons

It took us time to understand the new way of sharing document. We are coming from the old file server world and we did not shifted easily to the "inline" data sharing. You have to get used to it. When done, this is working perfectly

David B.
  • Industry: Entertainment

Backbone of knowledge sharing

Reviewed on 7/2/2018

The ability to setup central knowledge stores that can be easily shared is invaluable. Once you are on the system, you have a lot of control over your own space and are not reliant on administrators like some other options on the market.

Pros

The software is very easy to use. You can quickly create team pages and share with other teams. You can structure your page any number of ways. Embedded links, images etc are easy to add and there are a number of 3rd party plugins to expand the service. We used a plugin to get data from our CMDB and insert it into our documentation. That way the documents were always up to date rather than having static data that went out of date quickly. Another useful feature is the ability to export to PDF so if you need to share beyond your environment, it can be done easily.

Cons

The flexibility of the system means that it becomes cluttered very quickly. The search feature is poor. If you don't know what you are looking for, a keywork search can bring back thousands of articles.

Ken J.

Confluence Review

Reviewed on 29/8/2019

Not everyone uses it which makes it seem pointless in some use cases. That may be more of an internal workflow issue, though.

Pros

The minimalistic interface makes it easy to navigate and read the material posted on each of the pages.

Cons

Editing pages and reordering them is not intuitive. There should be an "edit mode" which allows free movement of page trees and such. There are also certain functions which should be baked in, such as outdated page reminders and automatic archiving.

Anthony R.
  • Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

Confluence is a multi-faceted productivity tool that's easy for an organization to adopt

Reviewed on 19/8/2020

Overall, the department has become a lot more organized and systematic because of Confluence. It's helped us scale our processes while we've grown as a business.

Pros

The collaboration features within Confluence make it really easy to work asynchronously with a cross-functional Product and Engineering team. A big detail that Confluence nails here is the flexible ability to organize and structure the documentation.

Cons

While the collaboration aspect is great, the usability around editing existing documentation makes it a little more cumbersome than it needs to be. I wish this software had a more fluid way to transition between view and edit modes.

Good for larger teams, though some aspects are unnecessarily difficult to use

Reviewed on 24/6/2019

We consolidated many individual wikis from GitHub into a single set of corporate technical/developer documentation in Confluence. The import process was manual and time-consuming, because Confluence doesn't support any kind of import from markup. We ended up copying formatted text from GitHub wikis, pasting into Confluence, and fixing the formatting errors (mostly in code blocks). Since we finished the import, Confluence has worked well for us. In addition to consolidating documentation so that we only have to search in one place, we now have the option to incorporate documentation for other teams. Many employees outside of tech don't have GitHub accounts and may not be comfortable writing documents with markup.

Pros

Confluence is a powerful system for creating wiki-style documentation for teams and organizations. Our team consolidated many individual wikis into a comprehensive set of documentation. "Spaces" are a useful concept for organizing documentation for different teams or departments. Within a space, you can create a hierarchy of pages. It has a full set of team editing features including change tracking, comments, comment resolution, and the ability to watch specific pages for changes.

Cons

It's unnecessarily difficult to use. They can't quite seem to decide on a user interface paradigm--is it a wiki that we edit with markup and then preview the final product, or is it a WYSIWYG editor? It's mostly WYSIWYG, except that sometimes markup work too. Some features are buggy; for example, the "markup" content type hasn't worked for me in weeks, which makes it really hard to import markup from wikis. The usability is a lot better than Jira, but not as straightforward as GitHub wikis.

Thomas C.

Great features, easy to use, but load speed is not optimal.

Reviewed on 23/3/2020

Overall experience is great, just that I'd hope speed can be faster, and my feedbacks for Confluence or other Atalassian software could be dealt with more prompt.

Pros

Great features, very easy to use, and lots of handy features to make your documentation a breeze.

Gives a feeling that I'm using Microsoft Word, but a web version of that.

Cons

Loading speed is bad (just like other Atlassian software). If the speed could be made like those applications developed by Google, that would be optimal, and productivity to the max.

Also, customer feedback is also something that is lacking from software by Atlassian. Even if you wrote some feedback, you are not guaranteed a response.