Confluence

4.4 (1,986)
Create, organize, and discuss work with your team

(1,986)

1986 Reviews

Shefali M.

Excellent Documentation, Content management and collaboration platform

Reviewed on 2/1/2022

Confluence is a great tool for document and content management and also helps in team collaboration.

Pros

Product and Project Documentation management, Team Collaboration, Content management, integration with Jira, Draw.io

Cons

Cannot use it as a document file storage and also no workflow mechanism for document reviews and approval.

Jelle J.

Great to share knowledge within teams

Reviewed on 17/12/2021

Pros

Confluence has a lot of functionalities, therefor it will probably be possible to have all your documentation in only this one place (which is great).

Cons

It can be difficult to navigate within big documentation projects.

Microsoft OneNote

Reasons for Switching to Confluence

OneNote did not support all the needed functionalities. Also Confluence works better with multiple people working in the same files at the same time.
  • Industry: Broadcast Media

Not great -- a bit old in style

Reviewed on 16/12/2021

I use Confluence simply to receive files from another organization. It's another organization hosting the files and not me so it's possible my poor experience with it is just the other organization poorly managing what's available to them. But I can only go based on my experience.

Pros

The bottom line with this software is that it allows me to access what I need to access. So in that aspect it's good. Obviously if I couldn't get what I wanted, we'd have a real problem. I can get what I want though. But that of course is the bare minimum

Cons

I think the interface is a bit outdated. It's simple, but almost too much so to the point where you'd think it was like a website built in the 1990s. Very basic, with a bunch of links to get to where you want to go. It's not intuitive at all and it's a bit annoying to navigate.

Rami R.
  • Industry: Gambling & Casinos

all knowledge in one place

Reviewed on 7/11/2021

in overall i'm using it on daily basis, create and update new docs.
we use to create all docs on google docs and now everything is manage on confluence

Pros

Ease content editor, ease sharing doc system.
Drag and drop working fantastic
Ease to categories docs and set permissions

Cons

There aren't much documentation templates options which causing sometimes to use screens shots or out the box solutions to make more user friendly

Nhan N.
  • Industry: Banking

Standard for enterprise

Reviewed on 7/1/2022

Confluence is considered standard in enterprise space. We have over 1000+ pages in Confluence space and some workflow built around it. It works well for us in most use cases. We use Confluence for all kinds of documentation: deployment signoffs, release notes, technical documentation.

However, it does not perform well on large space and complex pages. Search and Sidebar navigation can have some improvements as well.

Pros

Rich third-party integration: I mainly use Confluence to write technical proposals, which have a lot of diagrams. Confluence support many diagram software which allows me to embed the diagram directly into the page.

Cons

Performance: Sometimes it takes a lot of time just to load a page, I have to take several refreshes to load the page correctly, especially pages with images and embedded content (e.g diagrams).

The search feature does not work very well, with a large space, it usually returns too many results, without extra filter, it is difficult to find the right content. Most of the time, I ended up asking my colleagues to find the page I want.

Great knowledge management software

Reviewed on 13/1/2022

Pros

If you set it up correctly, it can really use as the single source of truth for the entire organization, from product specs to technical support knoledge.

Cons

It might take a while to fully organize and set it up for the organization, especially train people to use it correctly.

Enrico G.
  • Industry: Translation & Localisation

A powerhouse for your KB needs

Reviewed on 23/12/2021

We needed a tool in which to write all of our customer information with security and ease of access in mind.
Confluence was just the way to go.

Pros

Confluence sets the bar for Knowledge Base system. The possibilities are endless, you can organize and publish your knowledge assests easily and effectively.

Cons

The user interface could use some revamp and some AI system could be implemented to make the whole system smarter. A bit on the expensive side.

Wishwa P.

Best Collobarative Business Documentation Tool

Reviewed on 8/1/2022

We use confluence daily in our workplace to manage documentation with our team and update the work in the agile process. This is very easy to use and self-explanatory so make our lives better

Pros

The features that I like the most is real-time update tracking and update history tracking. This comes in very handy when you are working on a project with multiple stakeholders

Cons

Haven't come across anything so far that made me concerned about using this product

Diandra N.
  • Industry: Banking
  • Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

extremely useful tool for organizing and aggregating content

Reviewed on 30/11/2021

Pros

Confluence makes it easy to search for data explicitly identified with our organization, rather than sifting through non-essential data. I love that we have a common data space, as this ensures that everyone in the association is receiving/getting from a similar source. This eliminates any clutter that may arise due to different data sources.

Cons

I wish there were more additional items and ways of incorporating different stages and devices.

Rand A.
  • Company size: 5,001-10,000 Employees

Useful and easy to use

Reviewed on 16/12/2021

Pros

It’s very easy and useful to use it as a wiki

Cons

It’s not very easy to create diagrams in confluence

Giovanni M.

A wiki like software, Successful Tracking and Project Management

Reviewed on 13/9/2021

As mentioned in the title of my review, it's like a wiki version for the company's documents. I can easily find almost everything that I am looking for specially when tracking a document or checking for reference of hierarchy. It is the best solution for providing guide and solution documentation for my clients/customers.When I was still employed under an e-commerce company, we used confluence across most of our departments. It is very useful for finding information, reference for training because it serves as a knowledge base for our company's content. It can also be used as reference when checking metrics and product information within the company that is very important for the decision making of higher management.

Pros

-No need to use multiple MS software like Ms Project, excel or even Word for documentation. Now I'm using a single tool for my Checklist, Requirement list, action plans, help guides, and testing strategies.
-I like how it is integrated with JIRA which is also one of the main tools we use at work. All Jira dashboards are available within Confluence which allows documentation to be supported by task.
-There are ready templates for creating different types of documents. There is an option to create hierarchy for documentation and link them to each other to avoid duplication.

Cons

-Right now, exporting of documents is only limited to Word and PDF file types. It would be better if there were more options.
-Adding the option to customize forms would be a convenient feature. Instead of only having the pre-build forms.
-It is also better if there will be more complex support for searching algorithms for discovery when searching, not just by typing the exact keyword

• Industry: Medical Devices

Notes and Document Management for Pros

Reviewed on 18/9/2021

Confluence is the best notes taking and document creation software available - it's a well-integrated, easy to navigate tool that enables live collaboration whilst providing a range of integrations to other business tools!

Pros

Easy to use navigation bar per space (topic area) of store notes coupled with a range of text formatting and style features - Confluence is one of the best software tools available for notes taking! The inbuilt macros, linking page functions, mentions, comments and live editing all add to the allure of the Atlassian product range.

Cons

Confluence can be a steep learning curve due to the overwhelming amount of functionality available - including the permissions and access control clashes.

Microsoft OneNote and Google Docs

Reasons for Choosing Confluence

Confluence was cleaner and more agile with a clear collaborative value over other products.

HubSpot CRM, Evernote Teams and Asana

Reasons for Switching to Confluence

The range of features, integration potential and ease of collaboration. The storage, navigation and organisation of Confluence sold it beyond any other product.
Tami S.

Confluence Review

Reviewed on 6/7/2021

I'm in a subdivision within my org that is always changing and updating how we do things, and so do the divisions we work closely with. It's sometimes to difficult to remember the most up-to-date process for something, and we keep our confluence pages buttons up and current, so anytime i need to reference what a current best practice is it's all right there. I do the same for our working partners, so I know who to reach out to when for a specific request, and don't have to play email tag with a bunch of people telling me that's not how XYZ is done anymore.

Pros

Confluence makes it so simple to build a knowledge base for your teams. Everything from project timelines, team breakdowns to trainings and procedures & references can be complied and shared out easily. The editing features can help you collaborate with others and the editing notifications come in really handy so you know whenever an update has been made to a page you're following or editing yourself.

Cons

The navigation, to me, isn't the prettiest thing in the world. I think the overall layout and design look a little dated. This doesn't effect the software itself, but the other tools my team utilizes have more of a modern look and feel to them.

Zuhairah A.
  • Company size: 5,001-10,000 Employees

Very flexible collaboration tools

Reviewed on 7/4/2021

Main issue that we have solved with this software is, sharing and giving access of document to certain user from various department. It help to protect the document and it will give insight if the document has been edited and the editor of the document.

Pros

I really like that Confluence is very flexible in managing collaboration of documentation and task. Creating a document and stored it in the cloud storage provided by this platform make the sharing process of the document is very easy and flawless and the document will only circulated inside the software which add more security to the document.

Cons

The only thing that i have problem with this software is, the full text search is not properly constructed. Too many unrelated search result is returned and that mean it is not accurate. I need to scan the result manually to find the document that i need and that action is taking time and slowing me down.

Julián M.

Class-enterprise knowledge base software

Reviewed on 24/2/2021

The best thing I achieved using this software was to integrate the concept of knowledge base with my business logic, and it really helped because they have a great documentation for starters, and they don't just learn to use the platform, but the overall concept regarding documentation management.

Pros

The best feature that this has is the extended Add-In marketplace. You can find the proper Add-In to express your ideas in the best way: Coding, Images or illustrations, animated gifs or videos, and even forms inside the documents and pages. From a user perspective, this is one on the easiest knowledge base software in the market, and also you have the bakcing of Atlassian. The process of the integration with our existing business logic was easy because we didn't have a strict knowledge base, but Confluence gave us the foundations to build one from scratch.

Cons

The export tools and options you have inside the platform are not good. The data isn't portable, so you can't migrate easily to another platform in case you want. The installation process was complex, but today, they stopped producing self-hosted applications, so you are obligated to use their cloud services, and it can be a problem if the company has a strict data policy, like restrictions in the phisycal storage of the data.

Prince K.
  • Industry: Telecommunications

Documentation Resource and Sharing

Reviewed on 19/1/2021

Confluence is a nice tool to keep documentation organized as long as you remember where you're putting it (bookmarks). The tool is not sophisticated enough to provide ease of mind but it does provide a place to store documentation and the ability to share it or set permissions to intend on the correct people to view the items. Overall I as well as others use it but its also not the best and we all know it can be loads better in terms of features and formatting.

Pros

The rich text central location of document storage and the ability to share based on permissions is a nice-to-have tool for large companies or groups. Utilization is tricky as every team or group will use it in their own way and organize their own way so even if you implement this in your company and you're browsing another department's documentation, you will find essentially that it is just their own internal documentation which requires a little bit of a lucky search to find what you're looking for. Essentially this is a glorified document cloud storage which allows version control, permissions, and sharing.

Cons

It is not much different than say any other software or tool available in this category. It has some nice features like version control and seeing a complete history of who made changes to what along with comments and a social feature to it where you can subscribe but honestly there is so much more potential here especially from a company like Atlassian. I just feel they really dropped the ball here by not implementing better integration with some other apps which are already available. Example is that their spreadsheet implementation is a nightmare. The formatting almost always behaves irradicably and it has the bare minimum when it comes to these spreadsheets. Why not implement at least at the base of other offerings? For a paid product, the level of quality is expected to be much more.

Nadiv T.
  • Industry: Consumer Electronics
  • Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

Confluence: the hub for knowledge management

Reviewed on 5/1/2021

Overall, I use Confluence every day in my work to keep my (and my organization's) knowledge base relevant. I use to it to collaborate with other employees for improving internal processes, as well as for communicating important current info (such as outages or key developments).

Confluence is unmatched in its search functionality, and allows my organization to keep its knowledge base completely streamlined.

Pros

I use Confluence as a customer service employee. We have a vast amount of procedures for managing internal systems, as well as for applying systems to actual contact with customers. All of these procedures are stored and maintained in Confluence.

What helps me the most, is Confluence's super-advanced search functionality. Essentially, I merely have to type in a relevant word, and Confluence will list all the applicable articles. This allows me to find a relevant procedure for a specific situation in seconds.

Another important feature to me is the commenting system. I collaborate with users who create and manage articles. When I see info in an article that's outdated or incorrect, I can leave a comment, and the article manager will get a notification. It's easy to collaborate in this way and keep information up-to-date.

Lastly, the permission schemes help with keeping editing (or even viewing rights) limited to the relevant users. Within customer service this is important, as there are varying levels of authorization within our organisation.

Cons

In my opinion, the user experience and readability of the software could be improved slightly. The color scheme of blue/white/black isn't bad, but the layout tends to be somewhat messy. It could benefit from some streamlining, and perhaps more clear demarcation of elements within pages (such as more use of bold / italics, more variance in font size, and use of headers).

Sridhar R.

Easy and Simple Enterprise knowledge base and document management system

Reviewed on 30/11/2020

Confluence is really good for organizing all of your company/teams requirements related to content, document, knowledge management and file management.

Its a must for any company which is dependent on content and content based activities.

Pros

From the word go, our team was able to jump start and create a solid knowledge base for our entire enterprise. Being in Education and E-Learning domain - content is the heart of our business.

Managing content created by various teams inside company, partner contributions, freelancers content is extremely crucial and critical.

Some of the most important features of this product for us are: Document Management, Knowledge base, Version Control System, Structured Pages, Search

Cons

Confluence product does content related work really well. But that's not enough as we have grown in last 3 years and so are our requirements.

Integrations with forms, data collections, Kanban board, tasks etc have become kind of a must rather than good to have features.

We are currently on the premium plan and $10 per user for just managing document and collaboration seems little too much, specially when there are products which provide much more for less.

Dropbox Paper, Asana, Zoho Docs, Drupal and Microsoft SharePoint

Reasons for Choosing Confluence

Initially we started maintaining and collaborating using Google Docs. With the amount of documents created, it was really getting difficult to manage, tag, structure the content and files around various categories of our educational departments.

Reasons for Switching to Confluence

With confluence managing, creating and organizing content is extremely easy and above all confluence will keep track of all the changes. With easy file uploads, managing documents and creating structured pages will only help create better content.
Luke A.

Best knowledge management and wiki out there

Reviewed on 20/11/2020

If you use other Atlassian products, Confluence is the perfect complement. Because exporting documents is so bad, it works best if you, your colleagues and your stakeholders/clients all exist in the same Atlassian ecosystem.

Pros

Highly configurable and easy to use document templates, beautiful interface akin to using Medium, and deep integration with Jira Software and Jira Service Management are the features I find most useful. Recent changes to Templates to enable you to quickly search and preview available templates is incredibly helpful, as inline commenting while editing and being able to quickly convert anything into a Jira issue. Being able to use Confluence to defer service management requests by offering reporters the option of self serving an answer to their question/problem is a stroke of genius.

Cons

It's beyond irritating that exporting documents as a PDF is so horrendous out of the box. I also find the concept of Actions vs Jira issues confusing. I consistently find myself missing actions that have been buried in Confluence.

Praveen K.

I highly recommend this product for all corporate companies.

Reviewed on 20/10/2020

Overall I'm very happy with this product, without confluence it's impossible to maintain the knowledge article in our team.
It helps everyone across the team. Thanks to the confluence team for such a wonderful product.

Pros

It comes with rich features, below are a few features which I personally liked:

1. Documentation: When there are some important knowledge articles that need to be shared with the team, we use this tool. It comes with multiple options to make the page feels catchy and rich, it also allows us to attach the images.

2. Search Functionality: When there are 1000s of confluence pages, and if I want to access the page containing a specific word or a line, the search engine works like a champ it finds the pages almost immediately, this feature really helps me in easing my office work.

3. It displays the name of the person who had created the page and last modified person name, this helps to know whom to reach out to when we need additional info pertaining to the details as written on the page. And if required we can add the approvals, thus whenever someone edits the document without your consent changes won't reflect others until you approve the updates.

4. Like and Comments: Similar to social media, readers can either hit like if they like the content or they can mention their feedback in the comment section, this feature really helped me while suggesting something to the author or express my thanks via a LIKE.

Cons

There should've been an option to keep the page in draft before publishing it. But unfortunately, there is no such feature in confluence.
Apart from this, I didn't find any other flaws in the software.

Jinan S.

Jira is incomplete without confluence!

Reviewed on 11/7/2020

Overall, I am very satisfied with the confluence. Multiple architects collectively decided to use that over Sharepoint. The key reason is the seamless integration between these two products (Jira and Confluence). For an example, by simply writing the issue key on confluence page would automatically create the link to Jira ticket while reflecting the status of the ticket. This would allow visibility for Release Planning, while allowing you to write an appropriate decisions such as Go-No-Go on the same page.

Pros

Confluence offers pretty good UI for creating excellent documents (requirements or design). It does support pretty much all features of Microsoft word for creating a great documentation. Between all Atlasssian products, if you are tight on budget, I would suggest you to get Jira and confluence combo. It’s indeed great tool combo for the remote agile teams to work together due to their seamless integration.

Cons

One thing that I loved on the share point that’s not great with confluence is integration with the Microsoft office products. To be very frank, I feel this is not a big drawback as now a days, web interface is pretty much replacing the traditional interface.

Microsoft SharePoint
Binujaya P.

The best documentation platform

Reviewed on 15/11/2019

This is amazing software with close to zero disadvantages. It corresponds with Jira which is great, also provides documentation, you can create pages, see notes related to a specific theme, besides pages you can create tables, images, etc. I would recommend this software to anyone who needs a program that creates documentation. Also, they are looking to improve their software by making a lot of updates.

Pros

Confluence has a lot of advantages and here are some of them. Confluence is part of Atlassian Suite which is connected with Jira and you can easily integrate them. This software provides a documentation platform for your projects. You can create links to other pages, see other documents that are related to some specific project, also it provides you with different kind of images and charts to make your document more powerful. This software supports everything starting from images, tables, diagrams, charts, whatever you need Confluence has it. Also, another thing that is worth mentioning is that you can see if anyone has made any change to the document and if it has you will get notified.

Cons

There are not so many disadvantages, to be honest, this is great software, maybe a bit hard for some beginners, but not too hard and you will have to spend some time on this software to know how it works. Another thing that I don’t like is that they are changing Confluence non-stop. They are doing updates most of the time and changing the software. I understand that they need to make changes for better but that can sometimes be annoying because you know something where is it and then they change it and add something else and you have to learn again.

Steve M.
  • Industry: Nonprofit Organisation Management

The Collaboration Platform You've Waited For

Reviewed on 31/10/2019

We document everything in Confluence. I run a digital marketing team of around 20 people and have a total of 40 users in the tool (a few other teams besides mine use it). It's been a fantastic tool to get everyone on the same page and keep track of our how-tos, meeting notes, plans, goals, features/specs, etc.

Pros

Real-time simultaneous editing
Ease of finding and organizing what I've written
Constantly adding new features
Integration with Jira and Trello is great, but also works as lightweight project management by itself

Cons

Honestly, they've fixed my biggest cons, like storage space (now you can buy a bigger plan) and they keep adding more things.
I think my colleagues would say there's still a learning curve, which is understandable, and I think Confluence has been changing the interface with more tips and features for new users (which is sometimes confusing for long-time users like me, LOL)
One big con is still the limited integration with MS Office. Confluence fully replaces the need for Word in most cases, so that's not a big deal, but I wish the Excel integration and/or the table functionality was better.
Also, printing is pretty tough when you have tables.

Microsoft SharePoint

Reasons for Switching to Confluence

Confluence is quite inexpensive for what you get and it's super powerful. I really love the quick, accurate search results. The macro functionality and new "Slack" style slash commands are really cool. The notification system is very nice, especially the @mentions.
Ajesh G.

Finest Documentation platform

Reviewed on 12/9/2019

Confluence gave better documentation compared tot he old text files so that more readable format. The integration of images and diagrams make the documentation more user friendly.

Pros

Confluence gives best documentation platform for your projects. We can categorize based on different projects and sub projects. we can create links to another pages which is very useful to route to another document without searching for it. we can see all the documents related one project in one section. It gives you wide range of features to include images and diagrams to make the documentation more useful. We can also subscribe to the pages so that anyone make any changes we get notified.

Cons

Confluence needs more integration with the CICD tools available in the market to make more automated documentation. confluence needs to provide to create diagrams for documentation so that users dont need to go for external software for that.

Reasons for Switching to Confluence

In confluence I can categorize based on projects and sub projects and I can see all the documents for that project and select based on the priorities. But in google docs we need to we need to keep a separate index for each documents and the docs are separate. we need to browse through the google docs to go to next one.
Panagiotis K.
  • Industry: Media Production

Great documentation platform for both intranets and customer-facing hubs

Reviewed on 17/9/2019

The experience I had the last 9-10 years that me and my colleagues worked with Confluence is excellent.

The document editor works smoothly even from the mobile app that is offered.

There are many article templates to choose from when you start creating an article, from decision making documents to marketing strategy forms and solution focused how-to pages.

Confluence supports a lot of media types in the pages, so it's easy to create helpful articles with video, audio, images and many more like attention panels, embedded spreadsheets, etc. You can even embed the contents of one section of a page to another page, so that if you change that it reflects the change in all the pages that the section was included. Which is great for customer support and of course technical documentation.

Did I mention that you can create as many different wikis as you like? Confluence calls those "spaces" and it's a great way to keep things separated. I use different wiki spaces for my employees handbook, customer support, app manuals, design documents per project, etc. The possibilities are endless and having them separately helps with security between different roles in the company and outside of it.

Pros

Confluence, especially the new cloud version, is one of the best tools to use for documenting your knowledge-base. The best parts for me are:

- The ability to connect my articles with to-do tasks from project management (Jira from Atlassian, same company, so they work like a charm together).
- The articles I can contain any media types, from spreadsheets that I can edit in-line to videos. There are also a lot of native panels to help anybody create very stylish articles with usability.
- In-line and footer comment sections help my team discuss and develop documents all together, without losing any of the discussion history.
- The ability to also keep an internal blog. I use that to inform my colleagues for the day-to-day developments, and keep everybody on track with high ideas and management efforts.
- All of the above can be also used as a customer-facing knowledge-base, to serve your customers with documents, operation manuals and help articles. Very handy if you use it together with the service desk solution from the same company, but can also be used stand-alone too.

In general it's one of the best choices that I made when I was searching for a documentation solution for my company and my clients, back in 2010. Almost a decade passed and Confluence is still growing better and better by the time. Atlassian the company behind Confluence is now huge and offers many solutions that integrate with Confluence, making it an even better choice if you use other tools from them.

Cons

I can't find any cons to Confluence. After all there is no perfect solution, only elegant ones depending on the problem one tries to solve.

Atlassian is offering a trial period so anybody can see if Confluence is good for their company's documentation needs.

From my experience, it would be bad to start a trial before you hove some really motivated people in your team and some content to put in there. Because it would be better to test Confluence with something that you would use in your company, so that you see first hand the pros and cons while your team works with Confluence with material that is close to the true material that you would put in there.

If I was to change one thing it would be the way it recognizes internally any of the pages I create, so that Confluence doesn't have any issues with pages with same titles. That would be a nice time saver and space saver in the outline of any wiki one creates.

Dropbox Paper, Google Docs and Microsoft SharePoint

Reasons for Choosing Confluence

I made the switch from Google Docs because I wanted a more robust solution that would support a more deep infrastructure and would be easy to manage and interconnect with other project management, software development and customer-facing solutions.

Reasons for Switching to Confluence

Confluence is far more advanced and fits our business model as a documentation and knowledge-base solution. The price is right and Atlassian seems to continuously develop new features that help us create awesome online media-rich documents for us and our clients.