Carbonite

4.1/5

147 Software options

Dustin D.
  • Industry: Research

Reliable Software that provides piece of mind

Reviewed on 19/1/2018

I really liked it until they implemented the HUGE price increase. Perhaps it was a problem with just that one employee but they definitely need to get better at communicating changes to their customers. I'll be switching to a more cost effective product once our subscription is up.

Pros

Ease of install - It is extremely easy to deploy Carbonite. I have installed it on our Windows 10 workstations as well as our server VMs running Windows Server 2012. Each time the process is quick and simple. I also like the custom updates it provides on backup status. It also lets you customize backup policies for each individual device to optimize utilization.

Cons

They wanted to increase our yearly cost by more than 50% with minimal account upgrades.

Our account was set to renew automatically at this increased price with no warning. An account rep reached out to me a 6-8 weeks ahead of our renewal date but wouldn't respond until we were about 2 weeks out. At that time he informed me our price was going up.

The strange thing was that under billing it still showed the price we had been paying for the past six years, and showed we would be charged the same amount again on our renewal date. If he hadn't mentioned it on the call they would have charged us the new price without informing us until we received the receipt. I really did not like that their system was showing one price but they planned to spring another on us.

Jessica F.
  • Industry: Accounting

Set it and forget it while having peace of mind

Reviewed on 25/9/2018

I've had them for over 10 years in my personal computer and I've been very happy. I didn't care for the business version so chose not to use it for my business as there are other products that offer a better value.

Pros

Once you configure your initial backup, Carbonite will take care of everything for you on auto pilot. New files and changed files will automatically be backed up without you having to remember to. Restoring files after a catastrophic hard drive failure took a while due to the size of the backup but worked well.

Cons

Price has been increasing steadily over the years without adding value, other providers are now more competitive price wise.

Adam M.
  • Used for 2+ years

Carbonite - Great Support - Slow Servers

Reviewed on 8/10/2020

The service that carbonite provides is invaluable. If you don't have your computer files backed up in a remote location you really need to. We have computers "die" all the time and without carbonite (or a similar service) we would be in danger of losing years worth of work.

Pros

I like how easy it is to setup Carbonite. You download the software then simply tell it what files/folders you want backed up. Then you tell it how often to back up. It is easy to setup and after it is setup, you'll forget its there...until your computer dies and you need to restore the files. Luckily, having carbonite means that if/when your computer dies, you won't lose your valuable files. Their customer support is really good. I was having trouble restoring files and was able to get a support agent on the phone within 10 minutes and within another 5-10 minutes we were good to go.

Cons

The carbonite website is pretty slow. I am restoring about 20gb of files now and it is going super slow. It is saying it'll take 16hrs to download 20gb. That's insanely slow. I know it is not our internet because I transfer large files a lot and it doesn't take long with our internet speed in the office.

Sharon M.

Good backup software for personal or home use

Reviewed on 14/7/2017

Peace of mind knowing my files are backed up.

Pros

- You can back up an unlimited amount of photos, music, and files.
- You can easily see what files are included in the backup, and easily add more files.
- Backup is continuous, you don't have to check it or worry about it.
- Overall a good backup solution. I have not had any problems or errors.

Cons

- It takes forever to retrieve your files. I am restoring files from my old computer to my new one. It has been going for about three WEEKS and it is now at 83%. However, if I needed one particular file right away, I could search for and download that one sooner.

Ken B.

Carbonite has been there for me through a few system crashes - had my date backed up and ready...

Reviewed on 26/7/2018

Great backup of my work - only downside was slow in getting them loaded back.

Pros

Carbonite was my safety net when my system crashed. I have created a LOT of marketing material over time and it is imperative to have a backup system. I was able to find the files I needed and load them back. Their phone line customer service was also top-notch the one time I called. They were professional and helpful and had me up and running quickly.

Cons

The main detriment is that if you have a lot of large files it will take you a long time even with fast upload speed to get your files loaded back.

Michael S.

Great Peace of Mind, but expensive

Reviewed on 9/6/2020

this product has provided peace of mind for at least five years. i use it for my business. all my employees have it. this has saved me several times. highly recommended, despite the price.

Pros

I like that this gives peace of mind that all my files will be safe. I like the green dots that show easily which stuff is backed up. also, i like that you can get to your files easily in the cloud as needed.

Cons

the only thing i don't like about the software is the price. this is pretty expensive compared to other options.

Alex K.

Used to be great but functionality has been reduced

Reviewed on 4/1/2018

Pros

It's quite easy to install and set up and you can leave it just to do it's thing. Plenty of storage space. Mobile app is also usefully for accessing files.

Cons

It's now expensive compared with competitors. Functionality has also been reduced over time which means that some things are no longer available or you have to buy a more expensive package. Basic licence only covers one computer and it's quite expensive to add more computers. Poor renewal deals for loyal customers.

Pete D.

Excellent way to back up my personal files, pictures, videos.

Reviewed on 18/1/2018

Pros

It is extremely easy to set up. My media folders are already set to back up each night so as I add files to these folders I know they are being stored in the cloud for me.

Cons

From what I can tell there is no easy way to get your files back if your computer crashes. When I say easy I mean fast way to get them. The upload times to back up your files are long, so I can imagine if you are trying to restore a backup it would take days.

Becky T.
  • Industry: Architecture & Planning

Peace of mind and ease of access

Reviewed on 23/10/2018

Pros

I love how quickly I can access a file on my computer remotely from my phone - for example, I recently went on a trip and forgot the itinerary spreadsheet I had saved to my desktop at home. It only took a minute to retrieve it while waiting at baggage claim.

Cons

I have not had any issues with this software, except forgetting to unpause the backup sometimes.

Best cloud backup

Reviewed on 5/2/2019

Pros

I love Carbonite for backing up my files on my computer. The thing I love best about it is that I literally don't have to do anything. My files are backed up every day on their own. The files are also accessible from any computer if you sign into your account.

Cons

Only drawback I would say is that sometimes it takes a little while for the files to download onto the cloud.

Tracy S.

Glad our office used this backup system. It works

Reviewed on 9/1/2018

Backing up our computers and system every night

Pros

That is back up our office system every night and if something crashes we can back it up from this system.

Cons

Not having unlimited space to back up our system that our office pays for every year. Getting the email that your space if also full.

Thomas K.
  • Used for 2+ years

Carbonite has saved me more than once!

Reviewed on 19/4/2018

This software is wonderful when you need it. Losing files and documents is very scary. Carbonite backs up automatically and provides great peace of mind.

Pros

This software WILL restore documents and files back to their rightful place, fairly quickly. The backup is automatic and runs in the background. Great peace of mind.

Cons

Carbonite can be difficult to use without calling support. The manual uses too much industry jargon for my liking. But this is not a deal breaker. Support is courteous and helpful. I switched to a different company once for promotion, lost some files and tried to restore, and it didn't have all the files. Came back to Carbonite asap.

Meredith S.
  • Industry: Law Practice

Essential for Law Firms

Reviewed on 15/11/2018

Pros

Carbonite has saved my firm when our server crash. All firms should be backing up to the cloud securely

Cons

It is slightly challenging to learn how to restore files

SUPER EASY back up for financial services firms. easy set up

Reviewed on 12/12/2018

Being a financial services firm we have to have a specific back up system for our industry. this one is great, meets all the needs of our compliance department and We can customize the backups.

Pros

I had been using an onsite back up system and tried the 30 day free trial with Carbonite. super easy to set up and they had great follow up to get us going

Cons

I haven't really had any problems with Carbonite yet. it runs in the back ground constantly and i never even notice it's there. everything I want is backed up!

Jacob K.
  • Industry: Fund-Raising

Carbonite Review

Reviewed on 26/9/2020

Overall Carbonite does its job and its relatively easy to use. Have used this product for multiple years and will continue to do so.

Pros

Carbonite is a life saver. It automatically backs up files each time computer is logged on. Additionally, each file has a little green circle that indicates when it has been backed up.

Cons

At times when Carbonite is backing up files it will slow down the rest of the computer. Also, the price is a little higher than some of similar products.

Paula R.

Frustrated

Reviewed on 30/9/2020

My computer nerd insisted that I use Carbonite. The service was impossible because I could not speak to a person and I had an emergency. I needed to back up my files immediately. So, I ordered in a $7 flash drive to do the job. Carbonite is saying that my customer service request is still open. I have sent a few emails to them but they obviously do not read it.

Pros

I used this product 2 years ago and it was great.

Cons

I reordered this product less than 2 weeks ago. I had a nightmare setting it up . I tried to find the phone number to speak to a person and it was near to impossible to find. Finally, when I did, I called on a Friday only to find that their dept. was closed for the day. I was sooooo frustrated.

The inexpensive way to backup your documents, pictures, and videos.

Reviewed on 1/2/2019

We installed this product on all of our PCS after wey lost all of our PC data during a ransomware attack. None of the pcs were backed up and only the servers. This offers us an inexpensive way to have peace of mind.

Pros

You are able to access the carbonite backup drive right in the file explorer. From this carbonite backup drive you are able to see what files have been backed up, what is pending. You are able to restore files or pause the backup. Very easy for a non-tech person to use.

Cons

As an IT technician, the administrator portal does not allow many functions so you must connect to the users pc in order to select any files to remove from the backup. The default policy could be better and should not include app data.

Travis B.
  • Industry: Industrial Automation

Carbonite provides relatively good value for the money, but it could use some UI/UX help.

Reviewed on 16/7/2018

Pros

Carbonite provides a relatively inexpensive and seemingly feature-rich DIY solution for offsite backups. I appreciate being able to set policies for different user types, the ability to download partial or full user backups from the cloud, and being able to give end-users access to their documents on mobile devices via the Carbonite app.

Cons

At times, I find the Carbonite Server UI to be confusing and slow. The way that backup sets are configured and managed just isn't very clear to me. Additionally, when viewing the server backup history from the online control panel, more ways to search / filter the backup history by server, status, etc. would be appreciated.

Megan H.
  • Industry: Writing & Editing
  • Used for 1+ year

Not necessary usually, but functions well

Reviewed on 30/1/2020

Reliable and pretty straightforward. Not really worth the expense.

Pros

Mostly just that it does what it's supposed to. I've used it to manage very large file transfers to clients.

Cons

At least in my line of work, it's really not necessary for me to use something like Carbonite for most projects, when Google Drive and OneDrive are options.

Jennifer K.
  • Industry: Religious Institutions

Excellent!

Reviewed on 21/9/2018

Very positive. We will recommend this to other businesses as a way to safeguard data for a reasonable price. Thank you!

Pros

This is easy to setup and we have it continuously backing up our data, so we feel secure. It's piece of mind that we are paying for with this and we have had no issues with Carbonite. We're happy customers.

Cons

In the time that we have used Carbonite, we have not had any issues that would trigger any negative comments.

Robin S.

Much easier to use than Norton back up

Reviewed on 27/2/2017

In our office, Norton's backup system had been in place for a long time. While it seems to do the job, it became more and more cumbersome to use, having to delete old backups and make room for new ones.

Our bookkeeper recommended Carbonite and it was a very seamless transition. It was easy to install, very easy to see which files were backedvup, and very easy to add files to be backed up. There are no file space limitations, and when a file is backed, it writesvover the old version, so there are not multiple copies of back ups floating around.

For basic service, which is plenty for a small office, it made perfect sense and we are so glad we switched products!

Simple to setup, always there backup solution but perhaps not the best for large file sizes

Reviewed on 5/4/2018

Pros

Its very easy to identify what files and folders are selected for the backup. The UI also allows you to then go into it and locate said files and folders to perform a recovery operation.

Cons

The upload speeds are abysmally slow, with a 500GB directory taking close to an entire month to upload to their servers on our fiber connection.

Rene S.
  • Industry: Apparel & Fashion
  • Used for Free Trial

Affordable backup solution

Reviewed on 4/12/2019

Their support and customer service is really good , they answer to you in a good amount of time. I installed the trial version because the pricing seems good for everything they offer. Sadly I run into some issues in the installation process, their support team tried to help but they sent it to different support tiers and I didn't wanted to move forward.

Pros

It's very affordable for all the features they offer on the website. You can backup workstations and servers directly into their cloud servers.

Cons

It didn't work for us. We installed the trial version, it gave some errors on the server side, their support team tried to help and they were just elevating to their next support tier. I didn't wanted to deal with different support people so I decided not to go further.

Anthony I.
  • Industry: Accounting
  • Used for 6-12 months

Going paperless!

Reviewed on 6/1/2019

Pros

It was a seamless process, backing everything up! We went to a paperless office.

Cons

I don't have any qualms with this software. It did what I needed it to do.

Diksha N.

Uncomplicated Data Backup Software

Reviewed on 6/4/2019

If you are looking for a convenient and affordable way to back up your precious data and that too safely, then you should resort to Carbonite.

Pros

One of the best computer backup software I have ever come across. With its great user-friendly approach, now having a backup of your data is no more a hassle. Moreover, my data with Carbonite is 100% secured. As a writer, I have many files to retain and maintain. Carbonite has helped me stay organized with all my data.

Cons

Luckily, I have never encountered any issue using this tool. Except for a minor one that is okay to deal with. It is that when the automated updates are in progress, the software goes offline. Subsequently, I have to reinstall it a number of times just to ensure that it resumes to its functions and my data is backed up in time.