Daniel W.
  • Industry: Libraries

Carbonite backup solution

Reviewed on 29/12/2020

Overall this software runs well. Again after a few adjustments with the policy, the backup solution runs at full throttle uploading data based on your specifications. The restore options are also wonderful and take less time than other backup solutions.

Pros

Carbonite endpoint backup solution has ease of deployment and policy settings. Once you set it up correctly based on your companies values, carbonite does the rest.

Cons

Coming off of the trial and into production it seemed that policy settings where missed. It would have been beneficial for carbonite to explain more in depth about restrictions within their policy settings. After a few phone calls back and forth everything seems to be running well.

Communication to the customer is key

Gregory W.
  • Industry: Government Administration

Great Backup software - expensive

Reviewed on 9/10/2018

I hav ebeen using Carbonite for about 5 years.

Pros

Carbonite was one of the first cloud backup services available. For an annual fee (which can be renewed for up to three years at a time), you can have all your files uploaded to a secure server. All files are encrypted and stored safely until you need them again. Carbonite constantly checks your system for new files and updates the backup as needed.

Carbonite also has an option to back up your entire system--not just document files.

The best selling point is that your files are encrypted before they leave your system.

Cons

Carbonite is a bit on the expensive side, when you consider that there are less expensive options available for simple (unencrypted) cloud services. Also, restoring a backup from Carbonite can take many days because of the encryption/decryption process. Unless you absolutely need a system backup, use another service for cloud storage.

Dependable service

Reviewed on 19/9/2018

Have not had to use at work because no problems. However, several years ago at home I did lose my files and it was easy to access and download what I anted. I truly wish they had not increased their annual fee but I am using a freebie. I don't have the money at home to have Sea Gate to backup everything but we do have at work along with Carbonite. However, when the contract expires we will be leaving Carbonite because they charge too much.

Pros

Carbonite works behind the scenes and I have used here at work and at home. You can be confident your files are available if they are lost on your computer

Cons

The increase in the yearly fee. There are other systems that do similar saving like in cloud that are free. You would still need something like Sea Gate to back up the external and that would cost more in Carbonite but it would make more sense paying for. However, Sea Gate is a one time purchase.

Don B.
  • Industry: Aviation & Aerospace

Sleep well knowing your data is protected!

Reviewed on 18/4/2018

it provide the peace of mind knowing that your data is always backed up. It does this on a daily basis, so you have the most up to date image of current data.

Pros

One of the best features of this software is the ease of use. Upon setup, it walks you through the entire process. Doesn't get any easier than that. I've used this software for several years and during that time had on two occasions lost a hard drive and all the data on it. Thankfully Carbonite was there to restore.

Cons

I've used Carbonite for several years and honestly don't have any negatives for this program. It just works!

Brian S.

Great in the background back-up

Reviewed on 22/9/2020

It has been very good and reliable. I don't even have to think about it.

Pros

I love that it backs up everything on my computer automatically to the cloud. I would not remember to manually backup my computer often enough to save myself from a hard drive failure. I also like to be able to access any file from my phone at any time.

Cons

I wish that I could download multiple files at once when I go into Remote Access. I can only get one at a time.

Kris E.

Carbonite Cloud Backup

Reviewed on 3/12/2019

It did the job when we switched to new machines but it's not the easiest program from a general user perspective. Designed more for the IT folks at bigger companies.

Pros

Carbonite automatically backs up your entire user files making it easier to transfer between an old or disabled PC and a new machine if you have tech experience.

Cons

Restore option takes a fairly long time and isn't as clear as it could be as to how to restore to the same directories as you had.

Spencer J.
  • Industry: Government Administration

Carbonite provides the peace of mind you need for your files

Reviewed on 5/3/2019

Pros

I like the peace of mind that Carbonite provides, knowing that my files are constantly being backed up. I don't have to worry about losing one file should something go wrong at my workplace.

Cons

Sometimes Carbonite loses its connection to the internet and sends a message that you have not backed up in X number of days/weeks. I have to reboot the server and this usually fixes the problem, but it can be annoying to have to do that.

Deborah H.

Easy as it can get!!

Reviewed on 11/2/2018

I just like the feeling of my information being protected.

Pros

What's not to like. Download, simple set up and you're protected. It's really that way. What a great feel to know that your information is being constantly protected. It doesn't slow your system down either.

Cons

I would always like it to be free to users but I doubt that will happen. I'm sorry but I really can't think of any cons.

Phillip L.

Set it and forget it.

Reviewed on 8/2/2018

Stress free off site backup solution.

Pros

Easy setup, easy upgrades. Product is easy to navigate. It's file icon feature easily lets you see what has or hasn't been backed up.

Cons

Pricing structure has recently changed, not offering previous plan. Pricing model has increased without offering explanation of what current plan covered.

Greg H.

Great software at doing complete backups

Reviewed on 9/2/2018

complete backup of laptops/PCs

Pros

Great software at performing complete backups to your laptop/PC. Ease of setting up and starting backups on laptops/PCs.

Cons

The navigation to view your backups on carbonite.com. I feel the interface could be cleaned up a little to make it easier to access.

Willie M.
  • Industry: Telecommunications

Buyer beware !!!

Reviewed on 8/2/2019

Last year I dumped my external backup drive to have a "more secure" off site backup alternative. (BIG MISTAKE) I saw many promotions on their service, everything made sense. Cost was reasonable and all that.

So I enrolled. Made sure that all my files were backed up through their app and all of that.
One day My hard drive crashed... OMG,,, well no worries, Carbonite has my files backed up.

I proceeded to restore my files. Surprisingly I noticed that my restore was going WAY SLOOOOOW. I diagnosed my network, new hard drive and internet connection.

I have 400 mbps internet service... Well I found our that after all my download was not exceeding 3 mbps. I proceeded to call tech support and after many attempts and escalations the told me that that was the maximum throughput I will ever need. That no matter which plan I enrolled their technology will not allow for greater speed because they do one file at the time,,, they encrypt and then decrypt,,,, they cant do it any faster.
So, be prepared to wait weeks for your download to complete.

Just don't expose yourself to this scam... It will NOT save you when you really need it.

Pros

Price and easy to configure. Customer support was very courteous and professional

Cons

It doesn't perform as advertised and/or expected. Restore function takes forever no matter how much bandwidth you have available.

Robin S.
  • Industry: Mental Health Care

Reliable back up system for small business

Reviewed on 2/4/2019

Our back up system was less than desirable, and it failed often. Carbonite solved that problem and we can verify that back ups are done daily. Since we deal with a lot of information, it is critical that we always have a reliable back up in place.

Pros

Easy to set up. No need to bother with it after set up because it just does its job.

Cons

No cons that I can see. It is simple to set up and adjust, if needed.

Jacob H.
  • Industry: Law Practice

100% back up... but not for your videos...

Reviewed on 15/8/2017

Backed up most of my files, but not my videos.

Pros

Price was reasonable and setting it up was pretty easy. This service worked great for most of my files. This is an update to my previous review.

Cons

They don't backup 100% of your computer as advertised. I learned this the hard way. I set up my computer to back up everything with Carbonite. When my hard drive failed I was happy I had this cloud service... but when restoring my files it was a pain restoring my wife's saved fonts and family pictures. To my horror I couldn't find my ripped classic movie collection nor most of my family videos. All of these were saved in my iTunes library and after speaking with customer service I learned that Carbonite does not automatically back up any videos not found in the Photos app. They will back up videos, but you have to manually do it, I am still mad to this day!

Amy V.

Used it for my computer back ups

Reviewed on 27/3/2018

Pros

Love how user friendly it is. I also love how I can tell what is being backed up, and that I can select only the files I want and need backed up.

Cons

nothing. Love using it. Love the customer service. Very user friendly. And I would recommend this to anyone looking for a backup software.

• Industry: Automotive

Good software

Reviewed on 17/1/2019

Pros

Works great for backing up all your data for small businesses.

Cons

There is an annual fee and it is not very cheap.

Phil R.

Extremely Valuable Software!!!

Reviewed on 6/2/2020

It has been absolutely invaluable for my use, as I've tons of files that I keep digitally.

Pros

I have used Carbonite 3 times now to restore all my important files after a computer or laptop had crashed. I'm amazed each time by what comes back into the new computer when it's all done!

Cons

Its hard top say any downside to Carbonite, for when you've recovered so much valuable data and files after the surprise of a computer crashing - its wonderful!

Ross M.

Customer service couldn't fix my issue and wouldn't refund my 3-year prepaid subscription

Reviewed on 20/11/2018

Pros

I've used Cabonite in the past and had a good experience. It was a reliable way to backup my laptop and served as a way to have remote access to my documents, files and pictures.

Cons

Carbonite caused my MacBook Pro to constantly run which made it get very hot to the touch. After a few weeks of identifying the issue, I uninstalled it and called support. They talked me through reinstalling it. The same issue happened and they were not able to fix it. After many hours invested in trying to make it work right, it just didn't work on my laptop for some reason. They refused to refund my money. I was a repeat customer, but am not a fan.

Andrew K.

Simple live backups to the cloud

Reviewed on 4/5/2019

Pros

The price and ease of use is fantastic and intuitive.

Cons

Some setup confused me a little bit but I suspect it was my skills that were the problem.

Amy G.
  • Industry: Insurance

Seems to slow down my system while running

Reviewed on 10/9/2019

Overall, I like the security of this and I feel like it has done a great job of managing to keep our files clean. I like that while its running you are able to see the progress.

Pros

I like the fact that you can manage this and it can run in the background while you continue your daily tasks.

Cons

This seems to slow down my system overall while its running in the background, its hard to know for sure if its running but when I feel like things are moving slower than usual I check and it is always when Carbonite is running.

• Industry: Civil Engineering
  • Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

Easy cloud data back up for multiple users on one account.

Reviewed on 9/2/2018

Pros

It's very easy to set up multiple users with separate log ins on one account. This allows additional security, which is appreciated.

Cons

Data backups will occasionally run during business hours and slow down bandwidth, but you can always pause a back up for 30 minutes up to 8 hours.

Joseph W.
  • Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

Save your data

Reviewed on 16/1/2019

I think it is a good mid level backup solution. Keep in mind I would always have a local backup and then have that backup copied to the cloud.

Pros

Makes backing up your whole machine or just some important data extremely easy.

Cons

Restoring a backup from the cloud takes a lot longer than local backups and requires a steady connection.

• Industry: Insurance

Silently keeping our information safe

Reviewed on 2/11/2018

We have used Carbonite for a few months now. I enjoy that it runs on it's own and I don't have to worry about doing a manual back up.

Pros

This program runs seamlessly in the background.

Cons

I don't have anything negative to say about it.

Tiffany L.
  • Industry: Consumer Services
  • Used Other for 2+ years

Easy to save and recover my docs!

Reviewed on 28/12/2017

I needed to recover documents twice and it was very easy to log in, search my files and recover the ones I needed.

Pros

So simple to download and set to save all of my important docs. Rates are fair and they even give discounts for multiple devices. I have been using it for about 10 years.

Joel G.
  • Used Other for 2+ years

Carbonite takes care of protecting our data in a daily basis.

Reviewed on 1/5/2018

The ability to backup data from a highly varied environment (Linux, Windows, VMWare) both locally and to the cloud with customized schedules and retention policies.

Pros

Ability to save backups locally and in the cloud. Flexible scheduling and retention policies. The ability to back up data from our highly varied hardware/software environment was a key factor in choosing the software.

Cons

Management software feels "clunkly" and many times is very slow. I've had some sub par experiences with upgrades causing features to stop working.

Alissa W.

Converted from Mozy

Reviewed on 31/5/2019

Pros

Conversion seemed to go well. Comforting to know that our files are being backed up properly and we are protected.

Cons

Looks like there is an error in one of the computers so need to fix that.