Carbonite

4.0/5

Don
Don
  • Industry: Aviation & Aerospace

Sleep well knowing your data is protected!

Reviewed on 18/4/2018

it provide the peace of mind knowing that your data is always backed up. It does this on a daily basis, so you have the most up to date image of current data.

Pros

One of the best features of this software is the ease of use. Upon setup, it walks you through the entire process. Doesn't get any easier than that. I've used this software for several years and during that time had on two occasions lost a hard drive and all the data on it. Thankfully Carbonite was there to restore.

Cons

I've used Carbonite for several years and honestly don't have any negatives for this program. It just works!

Use Carbonite if you don't want to risk losing your data on your computer

Reviewed on 17/9/2018

Pros

I have used Carbonite in the past when I was running a company with 10 employees. One of my worst fears in the world would be having a computer corrupt or damaged and not able to access the files. It is better to be prepared than kick yourself later for not doing it. It was easy to set up carbonite on all of the computer and synced the backup on changes that were made within the computer. You select what folders that carbonite will consistently backup, such as my documents or customer invoices folder etc. The plan did not have any data limits on the amount of data you can backup. Carbonite really saved us when one of the disgruntled employees was trying to maliciously delete important documents and negatively hurt the company. It was about as simple as can be to retrieve the documents that were deleted and so nothing bad happened in result of this individuals actions. I never noticed any computer performance when running this software on a computer. I was surprised because I thought it would affect the computer in a negative way. I would recommend Carbonite for anybody dealing with important documents on a computer that cannot lose the information.

Cons

The least of what I liked about this is probably pricing. I feel like it should be a little lower for a backup system. There are quite a few plans to choose from but think the pricing for all of them should be a little lower. Other than that everything is perfect!

Carbonite works well - until you want to restore a large file

Reviewed on 2/5/2018

Pros

Carbonite is pretty easy to set up, and it will capture changes in files pretty quickly. It's a set-it-and-forget-it backup utility. You simply choose which folders you want to be backed up, and it will monitor for changes and get the files into the cloud.

Cons

Carbonite owns your encryption key, meaning that when it does encrypt, the employees of Carbonite could theoretically gain access to your data. It's better to use a service that allows you to create an encryption key (there are many alternatives). Also, the biggest con to this is restoring. When you are restoring from the web interface (because, say, your server/PC is dead), then what happens is that the page will time out during the download. When this happens the download is canceled and you have to start over. For restores of large files, I've had to sit in front of the computer to click within the window every few minutes so I wouldn't get disconnected. Also, they are not HIPAA compliant, they do not encrypt the data prior to transmission, and I don't trust their security.

Dependable service

Reviewed on 19/9/2018

Have not had to use at work because no problems. However, several years ago at home I did lose my files and it was easy to access and download what I anted. I truly wish they had not increased their annual fee but I am using a freebie. I don't have the money at home to have Sea Gate to backup everything but we do have at work along with Carbonite. However, when the contract expires we will be leaving Carbonite because they charge too much.

Pros

Carbonite works behind the scenes and I have used here at work and at home. You can be confident your files are available if they are lost on your computer

Cons

The increase in the yearly fee. There are other systems that do similar saving like in cloud that are free. You would still need something like Sea Gate to back up the external and that would cost more in Carbonite but it would make more sense paying for. However, Sea Gate is a one time purchase.

Deborah

Easy as it can get!!

Reviewed on 11/2/2018

I just like the feeling of my information being protected.

I just like the feeling of my information being protected.

Pros

What's not to like. Download, simple set up and you're protected. It's really that way. What a great feel to know that your information is being constantly protected. It doesn't slow your system down either.

Cons

I would always like it to be free to users but I doubt that will happen. I'm sorry but I really can't think of any cons.

Daniel E.
Daniel E.
  • Industry: Nonprofit Organisation Management

Do Not Use

Reviewed on 4/9/2018

Carbonite worked but their business philosophy is seriously lacking. I prepaid for for years, but when they changed the service package by discontinuing boot disk and application software mirroring, they refused to refund the payment for the prepaid year.

Pros

Carbonite was easy to install and use, but over the years required re-installation on several occasions to resume back up.

Cons

When Carbonite discontinued their mirroring back-up, I cancelled my many years' subscription with a year of service remaining. Carbonite refused to refund the prepaid year. So not only did they change the services I paid for, they refused to refund the payment for the mirroring service I pay for. I strongly discourage anyone from using Carbonite.

James
James

Easy to set up for peace of mind

Reviewed on 9/4/2018

Pros

We've used Carbonite in our office for years. We recently upgraded to a higher package, and I enjoy the ease of use. Carbonite backs up our files in the background and gives me peace of mind, in case of a catastrophic loss of data.

Cons

Can slow down the use of the computer sometimes. Especially if trying to delete a file that is being backed up at the time.

• Industry: Biotechnology

I use Carbonite to backup my data files.

Reviewed on 2/4/2018

Peace of mind that my data is backed up.

Peace of mind that my data is backed up.

Pros

The fact that Carbonite runs in the background and ensures my files are always backed up is great. Once it is setup, you do not have to do anything with 95% of your data.

Cons

It would be nice to have it automatically backup all file sizes - without going to specific large files to add them.

Linda
Linda

Insurance!

Reviewed on 2/5/2019

I have had to recover files and it was easy to figure out how to do it. In one instance I needed technical support and they were responsive and helpful

Pros

I use this product on my personal and business machine. If my computer were to die, I can easily recover everything

Cons

I like it, it works great. I have recovered files myself with no assistance

Kurt
Kurt
  • Company size: 5,001–10,000 Employees

Backs up things that OneDrive misses.

Reviewed on 26/5/2021

Once installed and configured you no longer need to worry about it. Restores are easy too and we've had no issues.

Pros

This product is great for backing up areas of my computer that OneDrive doesn't. It will get my whole C drive, desktop, profile folder, whatever I need, instead of just my documents.

Cons

Nothing really, it does everything I need and closes a simple gap not covered by another product. Great!

Response from OpenText

Thanks so much for leaving us a positive review - stay safe out there!

Gregory
  • Industry: Government Administration

Great Backup software - expensive

Reviewed on 9/10/2018

I hav ebeen using Carbonite for about 5 years.

I hav ebeen using Carbonite for about 5 years.

Pros

Carbonite was one of the first cloud backup services available. For an annual fee (which can be renewed for up to three years at a time), you can have all your files uploaded to a secure server. All files are encrypted and stored safely until you need them again. Carbonite constantly checks your system for new files and updates the backup as needed.

Carbonite also has an option to back up your entire system--not just document files.

The best selling point is that your files are encrypted before they leave your system.

Cons

Carbonite is a bit on the expensive side, when you consider that there are less expensive options available for simple (unencrypted) cloud services. Also, restoring a backup from Carbonite can take many days because of the encryption/decryption process. Unless you absolutely need a system backup, use another service for cloud storage.

Adam
  • Used for 2+ years

Carbonite - Great Support - Slow Servers

Reviewed on 8/10/2020

The service that carbonite provides is invaluable. If you don't have your computer files backed up in a remote location you really need to. We have computers "die" all the time and without carbonite (or a similar service) we would be in danger of losing years worth of work.

Pros

I like how easy it is to setup Carbonite. You download the software then simply tell it what files/folders you want backed up. Then you tell it how often to back up. It is easy to setup and after it is setup, you'll forget its there...until your computer dies and you need to restore the files. Luckily, having carbonite means that if/when your computer dies, you won't lose your valuable files. Their customer support is really good. I was having trouble restoring files and was able to get a support agent on the phone within 10 minutes and within another 5-10 minutes we were good to go.

Cons

The carbonite website is pretty slow. I am restoring about 20gb of files now and it is going super slow. It is saying it'll take 16hrs to download 20gb. That's insanely slow. I know it is not our internet because I transfer large files a lot and it doesn't take long with our internet speed in the office.

Felicia

Great Customer Support

Reviewed on 8/2/2020

My employees are not IT people, so when we have a backup problem we get on the phone with Carbonite. They take over the computer and find the problems. It's as simple as that. They are so respectful to my team when there are issues and they have taught us how to do simple problem solving checks that can solve the problem! We are very happy with Carbonite.

Pros

We use Carbonite as our backup program for our computer system. On occasion when our computers update it will change settings on the computer. Carbonite has the ability to let you know via email if it backed up successfully or not. This way we can catch a problem as soon as it arises.

Cons

On occasion there are issues with the computers backing up because of new computer updates. This is solved by alerting us via email when our server does not backup properly.

Ross

Customer service couldn't fix my issue and wouldn't refund my 3-year prepaid subscription

Reviewed on 20/11/2018

Pros

I've used Cabonite in the past and had a good experience. It was a reliable way to backup my laptop and served as a way to have remote access to my documents, files and pictures.

Cons

Carbonite caused my MacBook Pro to constantly run which made it get very hot to the touch. After a few weeks of identifying the issue, I uninstalled it and called support. They talked me through reinstalling it. The same issue happened and they were not able to fix it. After many hours invested in trying to make it work right, it just didn't work on my laptop for some reason. They refused to refund my money. I was a repeat customer, but am not a fan.

Kim

Excellent Back-up Software

Reviewed on 10/10/2020

We have been with Carbonite since they started. The offer Peace of mind. If you have ever crashed without back-up you would know what a disaster that is. We back up all our PC and our NAS continuously.

Pros

Carbonite is easy to set up on each machine. We can select what we want backed up. Restore can be done in a couple ways.

Cons

Occasionally it will give you a message that something is not being backed up and 99% of the time if you check you will find it was being backed up anyway. Just little glitches like that.

Ken

Carbonite has been there for me through a few system crashes - had my date backed up and ready...

Reviewed on 26/7/2018

Great backup of my work - only downside was slow in getting them loaded back.

Great backup of my work - only downside was slow in getting them loaded back.

Pros

Carbonite was my safety net when my system crashed. I have created a LOT of marketing material over time and it is imperative to have a backup system. I was able to find the files I needed and load them back. Their phone line customer service was also top-notch the one time I called. They were professional and helpful and had me up and running quickly.

Cons

The main detriment is that if you have a lot of large files it will take you a long time even with fast upload speed to get your files loaded back.

Erik

automatic cloud backup

Reviewed on 25/5/2018

Peace of mind.

Peace of mind.

Pros

Been using it at home for years. Very reasonably priced. I love that it can run automatically during the specified hours so I don't have to worry about it using bandwidth. Files are then available to other devices.

Cons

Video files are not automatic. You have to specify to back up each one, or a bunch at a time, but it's not as automatic as other file types. So, every once in a while, I search file type: video, select all, and make sure they're all being backed up. Interface for getting files from the cloud is a little slow and clunky.

Trevor

An absolute Must

Reviewed on 13/3/2020

Overall very positive. I will always use an online backup system and carbonite is the best I've ever used.

Pros

After losing all my files on an external hard drive, I switched to Carbonite. It automatically backs up my computer files daily. I can access them online and download them on any computer. If in the event my computer crashes, I can download all my files to my new computer.

Cons

It didn't back up all my videos. Not sure why it may have been my subscription. But I lost several video files.

Paul

Carbonite

Reviewed on 14/1/2020

Overall I have loved Carbonite. It gives great peace of mind and is very affordable.

Pros

I love this software! It is so easy to use and gives great peace of mind that my documents are stored. I like how you don't have to do anything but simply let the software run in the background.

Cons

It can take Carbonite quite a bit of time to restore documents after a factory reset of the computer. While I understand that a lot of files take time, it does seem that there can be some duplicates that don't need to happen.

Sue

Used for years without a problem

Reviewed on 22/7/2021

Carbonite was a fairly reliable product. Sometimes it had glitches which required that I had to uninstall and reinstall product to get it working again.

Pros

I felt safe having Carbonite in place to securely backup my data on a daily basis.

Cons

I did not like not having the ability to file share. The initial set up to backup all our files took forever to complete and it affected the use of the computer while it was transferring data.

Response from OpenText

Thanks for leaving us a review and some productive feedback!

Lance
  • Industry: Computer Hardware
  • Company size: 501–1,000 Employees

Carbonite User

Reviewed on 20/11/2018

Pros

We use Carbonite on all of our laptops in our office. We do not have a central server and so everyone has company information stored on their laptops. You select which folders, files or drives you want backed up. It will back them up and you really don't need to do anything.

I had to restore a few files and it was a snap.

Cons

Sometimes it goes offline and I need to reboot my laptop to get it recognize my mac. Once I do that it is all good to go.

Kris

Carbonite Cloud Backup

Reviewed on 3/12/2019

It did the job when we switched to new machines but it's not the easiest program from a general user perspective. Designed more for the IT folks at bigger companies.

Pros

Carbonite automatically backs up your entire user files making it easier to transfer between an old or disabled PC and a new machine if you have tech experience.

Cons

Restore option takes a fairly long time and isn't as clear as it could be as to how to restore to the same directories as you had.

BRAD

An essential product for anyone with critical information stored on their computer

Reviewed on 2/7/2018

Pros

Very easy to use. We first started using Carbonite about 7 years ago when we lost our entire hard drive to a virus. Unfortunately, we hadn't signed up for the service prior but we quickly learned our lesson and have used since.

Cons

I've never been a fan of monthly subscriptions. I would rather buy the product and purchase additional storage if needed. Other than that it is a great product.

Becky
  • Industry: Architecture & Planning

Peace of mind and ease of access

Reviewed on 23/10/2018

Pros

I love how quickly I can access a file on my computer remotely from my phone - for example, I recently went on a trip and forgot the itinerary spreadsheet I had saved to my desktop at home. It only took a minute to retrieve it while waiting at baggage claim.

Cons

I have not had any issues with this software, except forgetting to unpause the backup sometimes.

Larissa

Great desktop PC backup solution!

Reviewed on 30/4/2018

Pros

Carbonite works well for backup of desktop PCs, but the product is lacking when it comes to server/enterprise level backup. It's good value for the price when it comes to desktop PC back.

Cons

The server file restore process takes significantly more time than I have experienced with other enterprise-level backup solutions, which results in more down-time in some cases. We have a high speed wired Internet connection to our servers, but file restore from the cloud can take days to complete in most cases.