Carbonite Reviews

4.2/5
4.2/5
4.0/5

James

Easy to set up for peace of mind

Reviewed on 9/4/2018

Pros

We've used Carbonite in our office for years. We recently upgraded to a higher package, and I enjoy the ease of use. Carbonite backs up our files in the background and gives me peace of mind, in case of a catastrophic loss of data.

Cons

Can slow down the use of the computer sometimes. Especially if trying to delete a file that is being backed up at the time.

Use Carbonite if you don't want to risk losing your data on your computer

Reviewed on 17/9/2018

Pros

I have used Carbonite in the past when I was running a company with 10 employees. One of my worst fears in the world would be having a computer corrupt or damaged and not able to access the files. It is better to be prepared than kick yourself later for not doing it. It was easy to set up carbonite on all of the computer and synced the backup on changes that were made within the computer. You select what folders that carbonite will consistently backup, such as my documents or customer invoices folder etc. The plan did not have any data limits on the amount of data you can backup. Carbonite really saved us when one of the disgruntled employees was trying to maliciously delete important documents and negatively hurt the company. It was about as simple as can be to retrieve the documents that were deleted and so nothing bad happened in result of this individuals actions. I never noticed any computer performance when running this software on a computer. I was surprised because I thought it would affect the computer in a negative way. I would recommend Carbonite for anybody dealing with important documents on a computer that cannot lose the information.

Cons

The least of what I liked about this is probably pricing. I feel like it should be a little lower for a backup system. There are quite a few plans to choose from but think the pricing for all of them should be a little lower. Other than that everything is perfect!

Carbonite works well - until you want to restore a large file

Reviewed on 2/5/2018

Pros

Carbonite is pretty easy to set up, and it will capture changes in files pretty quickly. It's a set-it-and-forget-it backup utility. You simply choose which folders you want to be backed up, and it will monitor for changes and get the files into the cloud.

Cons

Carbonite owns your encryption key, meaning that when it does encrypt, the employees of Carbonite could theoretically gain access to your data. It's better to use a service that allows you to create an encryption key (there are many alternatives). Also, the biggest con to this is restoring. When you are restoring from the web interface (because, say, your server/PC is dead), then what happens is that the page will time out during the download. When this happens the download is canceled and you have to start over. For restores of large files, I've had to sit in front of the computer to click within the window every few minutes so I wouldn't get disconnected. Also, they are not HIPAA compliant, they do not encrypt the data prior to transmission, and I don't trust their security.

• Industry: Religious Institutions

Dependable service

Reviewed on 19/9/2018

Have not had to use at work because no problems. However, several years ago at home I did lose my files and it was easy to access and download what I anted. I truly wish they had not increased their annual fee but I am using a freebie. I don't have the money at home to have Sea Gate to backup everything but we do have at work along with Carbonite. However, when the contract expires we will be leaving Carbonite because they charge too much.

Pros

Carbonite works behind the scenes and I have used here at work and at home. You can be confident your files are available if they are lost on your computer

Cons

The increase in the yearly fee. There are other systems that do similar saving like in cloud that are free. You would still need something like Sea Gate to back up the external and that would cost more in Carbonite but it would make more sense paying for. However, Sea Gate is a one time purchase.

• Industry: Accounting

Carbonite has saved me a couple of times

Reviewed on 24/12/2018

I needed the ability to back up my laptop to a remote location. I've used Carbonite for probably 10 years. I had two instances where hard drives went bad during my busy season. Thankfully we were using Carbonite on each computer. I was able to get up and running within a day and ever since then, I've used Carbonite. It's a lifesaver and gives me piece of mind knowing that my files are safely backed up.

Pros

It's easy to set up and operates behind the scenes. You don't even know it's running and it backs up your files to the cloud. Super simple to set up and use.

Cons

I don't have any issues with this software. The prices is reasonable, the back up process is simple, and it's a great piece of mind software.

Daniel E.
  • Industry: Nonprofit Organisation Management

Do Not Use

Reviewed on 4/9/2018

Carbonite worked but their business philosophy is seriously lacking. I prepaid for for years, but when they changed the service package by discontinuing boot disk and application software mirroring, they refused to refund the payment for the prepaid year.

Pros

Carbonite was easy to install and use, but over the years required re-installation on several occasions to resume back up.

Cons

When Carbonite discontinued their mirroring back-up, I cancelled my many years' subscription with a year of service remaining. Carbonite refused to refund the prepaid year. So not only did they change the services I paid for, they refused to refund the payment for the mirroring service I pay for. I strongly discourage anyone from using Carbonite.

Deborah

Easy as it can get!!

Reviewed on 11/2/2018

I just like the feeling of my information being protected.

I just like the feeling of my information being protected.

Pros

What's not to like. Download, simple set up and you're protected. It's really that way. What a great feel to know that your information is being constantly protected. It doesn't slow your system down either.

Cons

I would always like it to be free to users but I doubt that will happen. I'm sorry but I really can't think of any cons.

Kurt
  • Company size: 5,001–10,000 Employees

Backs up things that OneDrive misses.

Reviewed on 26/5/2021

Once installed and configured you no longer need to worry about it. Restores are easy too and we've had no issues.

Pros

This product is great for backing up areas of my computer that OneDrive doesn't. It will get my whole C drive, desktop, profile folder, whatever I need, instead of just my documents.

Cons

Nothing really, it does everything I need and closes a simple gap not covered by another product. Great!

Response from OpenText

Thanks so much for leaving us a positive review - stay safe out there!

Ross
  • Industry: Biotechnology

I use Carbonite to backup my data files.

Reviewed on 2/4/2018

Peace of mind that my data is backed up.

Peace of mind that my data is backed up.

Pros

The fact that Carbonite runs in the background and ensures my files are always backed up is great. Once it is setup, you do not have to do anything with 95% of your data.

Cons

It would be nice to have it automatically backup all file sizes - without going to specific large files to add them.

Linda

Insurance!

Reviewed on 2/5/2019

I have had to recover files and it was easy to figure out how to do it. In one instance I needed technical support and they were responsive and helpful

Pros

I use this product on my personal and business machine. If my computer were to die, I can easily recover everything

Cons

I like it, it works great. I have recovered files myself with no assistance

Gregory
  • Industry: Government Administration

Great Backup software - expensive

Reviewed on 9/10/2018

I hav ebeen using Carbonite for about 5 years.

I hav ebeen using Carbonite for about 5 years.

Pros

Carbonite was one of the first cloud backup services available. For an annual fee (which can be renewed for up to three years at a time), you can have all your files uploaded to a secure server. All files are encrypted and stored safely until you need them again. Carbonite constantly checks your system for new files and updates the backup as needed.

Carbonite also has an option to back up your entire system--not just document files.

The best selling point is that your files are encrypted before they leave your system.

Cons

Carbonite is a bit on the expensive side, when you consider that there are less expensive options available for simple (unencrypted) cloud services. Also, restoring a backup from Carbonite can take many days because of the encryption/decryption process. Unless you absolutely need a system backup, use another service for cloud storage.

Adam
  • Used for 2+ years

Carbonite - Great Support - Slow Servers

Reviewed on 8/10/2020

The service that carbonite provides is invaluable. If you don't have your computer files backed up in a remote location you really need to. We have computers "die" all the time and without carbonite (or a similar service) we would be in danger of losing years worth of work.

Pros

I like how easy it is to setup Carbonite. You download the software then simply tell it what files/folders you want backed up. Then you tell it how often to back up. It is easy to setup and after it is setup, you'll forget its there...until your computer dies and you need to restore the files. Luckily, having carbonite means that if/when your computer dies, you won't lose your valuable files. Their customer support is really good. I was having trouble restoring files and was able to get a support agent on the phone within 10 minutes and within another 5-10 minutes we were good to go.

Cons

The carbonite website is pretty slow. I am restoring about 20gb of files now and it is going super slow. It is saying it'll take 16hrs to download 20gb. That's insanely slow. I know it is not our internet because I transfer large files a lot and it doesn't take long with our internet speed in the office.

Felicia

Great Customer Support

Reviewed on 8/2/2020

My employees are not IT people, so when we have a backup problem we get on the phone with Carbonite. They take over the computer and find the problems. It's as simple as that. They are so respectful to my team when there are issues and they have taught us how to do simple problem solving checks that can solve the problem! We are very happy with Carbonite.

Pros

We use Carbonite as our backup program for our computer system. On occasion when our computers update it will change settings on the computer. Carbonite has the ability to let you know via email if it backed up successfully or not. This way we can catch a problem as soon as it arises.

Cons

On occasion there are issues with the computers backing up because of new computer updates. This is solved by alerting us via email when our server does not backup properly.

Ross

Customer service couldn't fix my issue and wouldn't refund my 3-year prepaid subscription

Reviewed on 20/11/2018

Pros

I've used Cabonite in the past and had a good experience. It was a reliable way to backup my laptop and served as a way to have remote access to my documents, files and pictures.

Cons

Carbonite caused my MacBook Pro to constantly run which made it get very hot to the touch. After a few weeks of identifying the issue, I uninstalled it and called support. They talked me through reinstalling it. The same issue happened and they were not able to fix it. After many hours invested in trying to make it work right, it just didn't work on my laptop for some reason. They refused to refund my money. I was a repeat customer, but am not a fan.

Tim

After being a customer for 15 years, service fails constantly - ultimately a waste of time and...

Reviewed on 18/1/2023

After being a customer for fifteen years, I am thoroughly disappointed with Carbonite's product and their complete unwillingness to refund anything for the time my PC spent not being backed up last year.

Pros

It backs up my files some of the time. It's relatively easy to get your files back, the files it actually backs up.

Cons

* It rarely backs up my files. The backup is usually more than 60 days old.* Service fails constantly* A tool that is supposed to save me time and money is now costing me hours and hours of troubleshooting and support calls

Cindy

Carbonite

Reviewed on 11/11/2021

If a document was accidently deleted, you could go into your account online and retrieve it for a short period of time.

Pros

Once you have it installed on your computer/laptop, you don't have to worry about it, the back up is automatic. Besides my work computer, I have also purchased it for my personal computer because it is so convenient, the auto backup and the availability of your files from anywhere.

Cons

So far our company has been very happy with this safety net.

Response from OpenText

Thanks so much for leaving us a review! I'm glad you're feeling safer since using Carbonite!

Erik

automatic cloud backup

Reviewed on 25/5/2018

Peace of mind.

Peace of mind.

Pros

Been using it at home for years. Very reasonably priced. I love that it can run automatically during the specified hours so I don't have to worry about it using bandwidth. Files are then available to other devices.

Cons

Video files are not automatic. You have to specify to back up each one, or a bunch at a time, but it's not as automatic as other file types. So, every once in a while, I search file type: video, select all, and make sure they're all being backed up. Interface for getting files from the cloud is a little slow and clunky.

James
  • Industry: Nonprofit Organisation Management

Save your files with confidence with Carbonite!

Reviewed on 2/3/2021

Overall we have been pleased with using Carbonite. Being able to pay ahead has been great!

Pros

We love that we can count on Carbonite to have our files/data backed up when we need it. The application is easy to use and Carbonite has great features when logged in to change the way you back up your data!

Cons

Using Carbonite is safe and easy, the toughest part of backing up data is knowing how much space we need to have. The great news is that Carbonite will help you with what kind of space you need!

Response from OpenText

Thanks for leaving us such a positive review!

Michael

Great Peace of Mind, but expensive

Reviewed on 9/6/2020

this product has provided peace of mind for at least five years. i use it for my business. all my employees have it. this has saved me several times. highly recommended, despite the price.

Pros

I like that this gives peace of mind that all my files will be safe. I like the green dots that show easily which stuff is backed up. also, i like that you can get to your files easily in the cloud as needed.

Cons

the only thing i don't like about the software is the price. this is pretty expensive compared to other options.

Doug

Good for Windows but couldn't make it work on a Mac

Reviewed on 20/2/2017

I have been using Carbonite on my Windows machine for almost a decade. It's easy to use, cheap, and their customer service is excellent. I've never waited any more than a minute or two for a chat session and they use a really easy remote login client that saves a ton of time.

I thought I'd try it on my wife's Mac and 3 frustrating days later I pulled the plug and cancelled the subscription. I chatted with 4 different reps over 5 sessions and no one could get it to work any longer than 15 or 20 minutes.

That aside, I have no hesitation in recommending it for any Windows installation.

Pros

Cons

Won't work on mac

Alex

Used to be great but functionality has been reduced

Reviewed on 4/1/2018

Pros

It's quite easy to install and set up and you can leave it just to do it's thing. Plenty of storage space. Mobile app is also usefully for accessing files.

Cons

It's now expensive compared with competitors. Functionality has also been reduced over time which means that some things are no longer available or you have to buy a more expensive package. Basic licence only covers one computer and it's quite expensive to add more computers. Poor renewal deals for loyal customers.

Pete

Excellent way to back up my personal files, pictures, videos.

Reviewed on 18/1/2018

Pros

It is extremely easy to set up. My media folders are already set to back up each night so as I add files to these folders I know they are being stored in the cloud for me.

Cons

From what I can tell there is no easy way to get your files back if your computer crashes. When I say easy I mean fast way to get them. The upload times to back up your files are long, so I can imagine if you are trying to restore a backup it would take days.

Best cloud backup

Reviewed on 5/2/2019

Pros

I love Carbonite for backing up my files on my computer. The thing I love best about it is that I literally don't have to do anything. My files are backed up every day on their own. The files are also accessible from any computer if you sign into your account.

Cons

Only drawback I would say is that sometimes it takes a little while for the files to download onto the cloud.

Brian
  • Industry: Professional Training & Coaching

Essential cloud backup solution!

Reviewed on 18/3/2018

Ability to restore files to a new computer.

Ability to restore files to a new computer.

Pros

Carbonite provided outstanding customer service when we needed to transfer files to a new computer. They walked us through the entire process and saved us hours of heartache!

Cons

The price point is fairly competitive with other cloud backup solutions and sometimes they offer discounts at time of renewal if a 5-year plan is chosen.

Larissa

Great desktop PC backup solution!

Reviewed on 30/4/2018

Pros

Carbonite works well for backup of desktop PCs, but the product is lacking when it comes to server/enterprise level backup. It's good value for the price when it comes to desktop PC back.

Cons

The server file restore process takes significantly more time than I have experienced with other enterprise-level backup solutions, which results in more down-time in some cases. We have a high speed wired Internet connection to our servers, but file restore from the cloud can take days to complete in most cases.