1,653 reviews

Square Point of Sale

iPad & Android point of sale (POS) system

4.7 /5 (1653 reviews) Write a Review!

1,653 reviews
Athena P.
  • Industry: Wholesale

A huge help when running estate sales

Reviewed on 18/2/2020

Square point of sale has been a great asset allowing us to take card payments not only in person when we run an estate sale but also over the phone for clients who wish to pay their invoices with a card versus a check. The option of a text or email receipt is also very helpful for those who want proof of purchase/payment when we don't have a printer onsite.

Pros

It allows us to take card payments for any amount using the app when a customer doesn't have cash instead of the risk of taking a check.

Cons

The processing fees are competitive with other services such as PayPal but still high and cut into our profits.

Navine A.

Love Love Square

Reviewed on 11/12/2019

Overall, I prefer square any day over stripe and PayPal payments.

Pros

Love live square. Love that it can be used for both in store and online payments. It sync with my quickbooks which saves me a whole lot of time. It gives detail daily reports which includes best seller of the day, number of sales, number of products sold and what type of product sold, taxes paid, types of payment the customers used, plus it syncs with my online store inventory. Square gives you all the detail info you never realized you need till you need it all in one place. So easy to use and tailored for retailers. Love the Apple Pay feature too.

Cons

My big con with square integration is it doesn’t sync well with bigcommerce. By that I mean, my online sales gets imported as a custom order so there is no itemized list of what the customers bought. Also with bigcommerce, there is no way for me to take Apple Pay or other digital wallet payments. Square does have digital wallet payment options with their square space shopping cart. Fingers crossed they will fix this custom import stuff soon.

Hannah D.

Great for anyone wanting to start a business.

Reviewed on 8/11/2018

It's hard for me to find anything wrong with Square. We have never really been tempted by the competition, and I doubt we will be anytime soon.

Perhaps if you are running a store with more products or customers you may benefit from a different system, but I would suggest Square to anyone starting out. You can get set up today, and your customers already know how to use it.

Pros

I was working as a barista in a new coffee location in my local town. The owner of the shop was pretty new to the industry, and didn't have a lot of business experience. She needed a way to run cards, and she was looking at a few different solutions, but I mentioned Square, and she ran to CVS and bought one right away. She wasn't very tech savvy, so I volunteered to get it set up. It probably took me less than an hour. The interface is a breeze to use, customers get it right away when they need to sign for charges or enter phone numbers. There were days that I was the only person on staff, using Square and running between the milk steamer and the register was a breeze. One feature we used often was using a cell phone to take orders while people waited in their cars. This allowed us to reduce the lines in our shop, and keep the morning rush moving.

The flat rate pricing makes things extremely easy as well. As someone that is not an accountant, this made my life a lot easier.

Cons

Some of the reporting features can be confusing to read, and more than once have resulted in us blindly refunding customers.

Sometimes the card readers gave us problems, but this was usually solved with a quick reset.

A cheap, easy, & convenient CC processing alternative.

Reviewed on 18/3/2019

We take all of our credit/debit card payments through Square, as well as Apple Pay, Android Pay & Samsung Pay. The ability for a customer to pay, sign, and get a receipt e-mailed to their phone while they are still standing in front of me brings a nice sense of trust and completion to each sale.

Pros

It is free to set up and implement initially. Square will even send free card processors (they're the cheap ones that let you take a card payment from your phone/tablet, but it will let you start swiping cards immediately). They help keep track of your sales/accounting for non-card payments, too, as long as you enter in the sales data for them. Additionally, the ability to edit & customize withdrawal options is very helpful. I can get funds deposited on a schedule or whenever I choose to (even instantly, although this incurs an additional 1% fee). It is much cheaper and more convenient than a standard CC payment processor, so anyone with a small or mobile business would be wise to check this out.

Cons

The customer service is a bit lacking. I've never had a real issue with them that didn't resolve itself pretty quickly, but there's been one or two times where I have an issue and get what appears to be an automated response about it. Not a big deal, but when you Google it, on the Square help forums, this kind of response seems to be the norm for most questions/concerns. Fortunately, their system is pretty self-explanatory, that additional personalized help isn't usually needed.

Gracie P.

Great POS System for new companies.

Reviewed on 8/3/2017

Square has done wonders for our small business, it has almost everything you would need for a new business but there is somethings I didn't quite like. The system is great but there are some issues. To actually have track your inventory and have it sync up with Quickbooks required us to purchase Quickbooks online to be able to track our inventory and sync our daily sales. It was a little of a hassle but when it all comes down to it this register is great! I just wish it was designed more for a retail store or have that option when ordering the register. I haven't had any other complaints, it works well, user friendly, add as many products/items as you would need. Easy to use checkout for people without a good grasp of technology and how it works. I would honestly say this is a great POS system, very efficient and reliable! Plus you can download the app on your phone and accept payments where ever you are! That is the other great perk of this register!

Pros

Efficient, reliable, on the go app, easy to use, great for any store, easy to track your sales, keep costumer information that are repeats and order frequently, design and layout is simple and very easy on the eyes, it has two versions to layout your items, either a grid or a list so it is a personal preference of which you like to use, deposits your money that night.

Cons

Can't sync with Quickbooks unless you have Quickbooks Online, sometimes takes a while to start up and get going, the card swipe is very picky you HAVE to swipe it straight through or it doesn't accept the card (something that should be resolved soon I hope!) I just wish it wasn't only able to be used on Apple too. I am not a huge fan of Apple products. I would prefer to use a Samsung or Andriod tablet rather then a Ipad, but that is just a personal preference.

James L.
  • Industry: Restaurants

Amazing Analytics and Simple UI make this an Easy Choice for Small Business Owners

Reviewed on 3/9/2020

I inherited this software and POS software and hardware from the previous owner of my current business. Within a week I was a whizz at it. I love the reporting functions of the software above all but can also see it is customizable on the fly. Whereas many software packages are prescriptive to the business owner ("your new software can do xyz") I have found Square flexible and amenable to my needs as the business owner ("I the business owner can make the software do xyz just in the way I want it the process to be completed"). Huge difference!

Pros

I LOVE the ability to see previous sales trends and analyse current inventory consumption. If you are an idiot, you could make this software functionable and powerful in minutes. At the end of each day, the software sends you a report going over the day's sales and does so on an hour by hour basis. I have found Square POS to be a mighty assistant and even a powerful collaborator in growing my business, and couldn't run my burgeoning ice cream parlor without it.

Cons

I have had some problems with the use of electronic gift cards (obtainable through third party sellers) and the customer support has been a bit less-than-optimal. We discontinued use of the freshly purchased giftcards (price: $50) and instead substituted an old-fashioned but charming home-printer generated gift card system instead.

Maria L.

Love not dealing with credit card companies, but they should make the chip reader free

Reviewed on 12/1/2019

Having tried Quick Books for many years (which was too complicated for some in my business), Square is a breeze to use. It's immensely convenient for a small business, and has options for storing sale information when we don't have internet access, such is helpful to not burn through data.

Pros

Square is immensely easy to use and is very convenient. Having worked retail for many years and dealing with credit card companies and contracts and different fees and charge rates, it's very convenient having one flat fee all around which also covers the use of the square (-even though some of the credit card companies charged less, it's a convenience factor) . I also loved that the original card swiper was free, but they then charged for the card reader with the transition to chip cards (don't like that). I also like the option for tracking inventory and sales in the newer versions

Cons

I don't like that they now charge for a chip card reader.

Marc M.

Used and loved daily

Reviewed on 23/4/2020

99% positive! Some minor issues with features lacking on mobile, but I know this is likely temporary as Square has the money and size to get new software features out regularly.

Pros

I am very pleased with the abilities to track activities with clients, record notes about the service, capture payment, financial and activity reports, and easily tie in the financial info to my bank account and QuickBooks.

Cons

Clients each have their own client card for info and interaction tracking, these cards can then be grouped with custom-named groups, but I find inconsistencies with groups between desktop and mobile, with mobile lacking in some regards. This is unfortunate because I use this product mostly on mobile. Because of the shortcomings I must complete my work once I get home on desktop. I wish I could do it all easily on mobile.

Kathy K.

Simple, Transparent, Informative

Reviewed on 16/1/2017

The SquareRegister POS provides a very simple, plug and go solution for setting up and using a cash register. It is very straightforward in setting up inventory, items, and employees. As a fast-paced, men's barber shop, we need sales transactions to be quick and easy, and SquareRegister POS delivers! Since management is off-site, we rely on excellent Dashboard reporting to keep us informed for remote management. The Employee Management modules to allow us to easily track sales by the employee (barber) for payroll purposes. The transparency of real-time credit card fees is another key component to running a small, growing business with no surprises!

Pros

We like the real-time look into the day's activity. With the Employee management module, it allows us to easily determine if we are over/under staffed at any point in our day. Being able to track the sales by year/month/week/day, we can more confidently create future staffing plans. The Sales Trend reporting provides a comparison to the previous day/week/month/year. Having the detail reporting from the Dashboard takes away the perceived notion of the health of my business and replaces it with factual data.

Cons

1. There is no 'Void' sale, only a 'Refund', so cashier errors are not accounted for. The sales that are 'refunded' show in my Gross Sales.
2. To track Sales per Employee (with Employee Management), each Employee has to log on and bring up his/her own sale. If 2 or more employees should get credit for the items one customer buys, then each sale/employee must be rung up separately (logging on) and the customer's card swiped (read) multiple times.

Derek W.

Dependable and Easy to Use

Reviewed on 20/4/2019

Square has provided my business the ability to accept credit cards without the hassle of a contract and batch fees. It has also allowed me to track sales while away from the store. I am also using the following features provided by Square: Payroll, Loyalty Program and Marketing. For my business, it has been an all around wonderful and important part of our daily business.

Pros

I love that it is always available and the money is in my account the next day. If I need it faster, I can also do an instant deposit that has the money in my account immediately.

Cons

My least favorite feature is not really the software, but the customer support. Would be useful if they provided the ability to chat online for any issues that arise. Luckily, I have only tried to contact customer support a couple of times over the course of 9 years.

Jessica C.

I dont know why it took me so long to try!

Reviewed on 14/3/2018

It gave my business a really nice boost in revenue that i didn't realize i was loosing all along.

Pros

So the first thing about this POS system is that it so user friendly and easy to use!
When I first though about using a POS system I was worried about having to learn about accounting and such, (Was cash only) and it was so straight forward as far as the fees .
There was no hard intimidating arithmetic involved in the process, that for whatever reason I expected....
So this has been great to help INCREASE sales because well most pepole these days dont carry cash, so vendors need to get with the times.
I also like it includes tipping, and sending them and email so that helps build your emailing list up too. so lots of pros here, Also to I find the Square system super pretty!

Cons

I really cant think of any cons, but the thing that I like the least as a consumer is the cost , LOL It would be nice if it was cheaper, maybe they can offer different plans for smaller or larger companies? Which they don't, so I suppose that can be a con for you.

Kraig T.
  • Industry: Computer Hardware

Easiest and the best way to keep overhead known

Reviewed on 8/6/2019

Pros

This software is very customer friendly and user-friendly want is it is set up I enjoy using it you can get very technical with it or keep it very simple there is lots of options and they are always very good And always changing it for the better

Cons

The set up is very intensive with all POS systems but there is some things that could be a little more user-friendly I think I believe they are trying to make it better but each person does things differently so they won’t be able to make it easy for everyone just in how they think and do things will be different

Marc S.
  • Industry: Photography

Square Rocks it!

Reviewed on 18/4/2019

Such a comprehensive system. I love it and look forward to what they will do next. I’m a fan and it really makes running my business so much smoother than before. I love their gift card options too. It’s just all around an awesome tool that every small business owner should take a strong look at.

Pros

What is there not to love about Square?! It’s provides a great entry way to taking credit card payments. I have relied on Square for over 5 years and I can’t imagine doing business any other way. The options for hardware are great and super affordable. They also look great which is awesome because I always want to show professionalism when I’m out. The addition is scheduling has been UHHHHMAZING! Like I have been waiting on this forever. I can set my calendar with my availability and clients can book right then including making a payment. wow!!!

Cons

The percentage fees are a bit high but taking credit cards is essential so I guess it is what it is. I have explored other options but none are worth switching to at this point.

Christina O.

Business Owner

Reviewed on 1/9/2018

Customer service is top notch and responds both to online inquiries and emails. If I really need someone, there is a phone center with support as well. Great job!

Pros

The variety of utilization this software offers a small business is wonderful. Point of Sales, Payroll for employees or contractors, plus small business loans based on your sales activity are awesome benefits with low fees. I also get dispute coverage that acts like transaction insurance. They offer may services we have not taken advantage of yet. I look forward to growing with Square.

Cons

The only think I can think of improving is more control of payment dates for payroll, but at the moment it is very workable service.

• Industry: Libraries

Square for a Public Library

Reviewed on 7/3/2019

Prior to 2017, our library did not accept cards as a form of payment which was out of date and inconvenient for our patrons. Now we can accept cards when needed and the fees are reasonable enough to still be worth it for us. The software is easy to setup and navigate and my staff members learned it quickly.

Pros

Square was relatively easy to set up and get going which alleviated many fears about adding credit/debit card payments to our incoming cash flow. The fees are very reasonable and flat considering we don't have a lot of incoming charges as a nonprofit. The reports are amazing and detailed.

Cons

I didn't really notice any negatives to this software. It has worked very well for us.

James M.

Square allows us to complete sales and close deals on the spot

Reviewed on 4/12/2018

I have been highly satisfied with the ease of use, as well as the fact that we have been able to expend our business billing options. The transaction fees are quite acceptable seeing how there is no monthly fee to use the service.

Pros

I love Square. It has allowed us to take our business mobile. No longer do we have to write down client cc numbers which is highly insecure. We can now charge their cards on the spot, email a receipt to them within minutes, and begin projects more quickly than before. The Square card reader makes it easy to swipe or read chip based cards with ease. It's like having a POS system in your pocket at all times. The Square app is very simple to use. You enter the customer's info, the amount of the sale, and then swipe the credit card. The customer signs, and you're done. They receive an email receipt within minutes.

Cons

You have to purchase a credit card swipe / chip reader device from them. I have also seen them available at retail chains such as Target on occasion.

• Industry: Photography

Square POS helped me start my photography business

Reviewed on 4/10/2018

I used Square to take on site payments to ensure I was paid on time and not have to wait to take payment. I also use it to manage my inventory and issue gift cards.

Pros

I like that Square POS is easy to use and I could build out an inventory list. I like that I can take payments anywhere I would take photos and I can manage my books on the go. The ability to add additional user came in handy when setting up to take photos at military balls and prom so I could take pictures and have someone man the sales table.

Cons

I do not like the fee's to process credit cards and some things like to enable gift cards I had to log in on my desktop.

• Industry: Management Consulting

Most recognizable, easy to use, and convenient for field sales.

Reviewed on 18/7/2018

Pros

Our technicians use Square in the field and on-the-go. It is easily recognizable as a credible payment processing service to our customers and sending receipts is incredibly simple, especially if the customer has used Square before with any other transaction. Note-taking, history, and refunds are all very user-friendly and there is nearly no on-boarding/training process necessary for new employees.

Cons

Cost per swipe is a little high, especially if the card is not present or the swiper isn't working and we have to hand-key the payment. Other than that, it's a great reliable software!

Melanie A.
  • Industry: Arts & Crafts

Square is Very User-Friendly

Reviewed on 6/8/2019

Overall, having Square enables us to capture payments onsite and offsite, which is helpful! We don't have as many mess-ups with mis-written cc #s.

Pros

I love that it's easy to download onto any phone and then really easy to explain to others who need to use it. The interface is straightforward, the emails come thru right away and the gross and net are shown by the next day.

Cons

There is absolutely NO customer support whatsoever. No phone number, no email address. Once you're in you're in and if you have a problem you are totally on your own to try to figure it out. Luckily it's an easy system, but if you screw up somehow, you're literally screwed.

Also, the fees are rather hefty.

And, you have to have the cc, the exp date, the CVV and the zip code to run a card manually. That's a lot of info that we don't always have (esp. the zip!). Makes this not a convenient alternative.

Finally, the square reader does NOT fit all phones.

Daniel F.

Great POS system for a great price

Reviewed on 7/1/2017

Square is a great app with amazing features. It has a clean interface which helps a lot.

When introducing Square to one of my clients they loved how easy it was to use the app with adding items to adding and rearranging items on the POS screen. The easy to use interface was great for them as they are older and they don't really understand technology but now they are waiting tables with their iPhones. They love using the Square Referral program to get free processing with their friends which make the experience a lot better.

The cost of Square is also amazing with no monthly fees and the payment terminal. It's an amazing alternative to the banks.

The only draw back is they haven't released Square Loyalty and Square Gift Cards in Australia so it is lacking some of the most important things a business needs to grow but they promise me that we should see some progress by the end of 2017.

Great for all businesses
Connects to Bluetooth recipt printers

Cons

Only works with Star printer not Epsom
No Square loyalty or Gift Cards yet
No offline more in Australia

Crisalyn T.

Great system I’ve used it as a business and a customer however not competitively priced

Reviewed on 2/2/2019

Overall I’m happy with square I use it and Venmo/PayPal because it’s free also PayPal has the tools for shipping built into their system so I can easily use that. Another plus for PayPa is that it has email functions.

Pros

I love that the square POS it’s simple to process purchases and sales. Very user friendly easy to input items sku number and names and addresses and create invoices and receipts to be emailed or texted to customers.

Cons

Not competitively priced the fees are not as low as other point of sales. They have built a great name and can charge higher prices.

Alexander R.
  • Industry: Defense & Space

Extremely useful POS

Reviewed on 6/10/2018

Pros

Back in my days as a server, Square was (and still is) a powerful POS solution for restaurants. So much time can be saved in the front of the house by being able to see back of the house status without having to make the walk back, especially in large restaurants. Course items and table status and layout are very simple and intuitive to use. All in all, Square makes wide acceptance of credit card payments and inventory integration make life a lot easier. Also, the pay a fee per transaction model is very fair.

Cons

The card reader is not always foolproof and sometimes there are problems with newer model phones. No major cons, however.

Robert N.

Easy to use and business friendly!

Reviewed on 16/5/2017

Great system. I would definitely recommend it if you are starting a business as there are no monthly fees, you can track your inventory, use it for scheduling and do a whole lot of things in general with it.

Pros

Super easy to use, business friendly software and many different methods/tools for integration of other services including scheduling, gift cards, and more. Easy to use to track inventory also. Easy to understand financials.

Cons

The percentage they charge per transaction is reasonable but slightly more than other services I have encountered.

Melissa E.
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

Great!

Reviewed on 18/4/2020

I do like it!!

Pros

I like how you can categorize and customize! How you can go in directly change something as soon as it comes to your mind! I also like how incandescent access things remotely

Cons

I wish there wasnt such a wait before you can use the app after it hasn't been used in a while...like say it's a slow day and the space between customers it large so the app basically needs to reopen and while you are in a hurry that wait period seems like forever

• Industry: Food & Beverages

POS simplified and accessible

Reviewed on 7/9/2018

Really great software... accessibility on the go and in remote places... great job overall square.

Pros

Square has an offline mode during which you can continue credit card sales if wifi is temporarily down - which happens in small remote towns. You can easily customize your sales screen with categories and items, fixed prices, customizable on the spot prices which allows for flexibility with business and consigned artists.
There's a lot to like about square.

Cons

It's a trade off for all the services that square provides - they simply do what you might be able to or would take you a long time to do for a fee. Which is fair. I like the signing with the finger feature but the whole screen is signable which confuses older folks - their hand will touch the bottom of the ipad and they keep signing not knowing what's wrong... The only other main issue I've encountered is a screen change requirement for retrieving a receipt if a customer is like 'no...' click no 'no yeah, I'd like a receipt'. It can take forever to switch from the sales screen to transactions during which the customer will give up on a receipt and your screen is still frozen for the next customer.