1,625 reviews

Tammy H.

Square Point of Sale

Used Monthly for 1+ year
Reviewed on 7/11/2018

Overall I had been having a decent experience with Square but having to spend so much time looking for a phone number and then waiting so long for a person to tell me my customers had to wait 7 to 10 business days for a refund that was caught 15 hours or less from the original transaction was ridiculous. I had to go and get a money order to give one customer for the refund and NOW have to drive across town to now pick up a money order from her once the refund was posted to her account so I can deposit the additional money I gave her Saturday so she had funds through today when the refund posted. A lot of unnecessary running around when it could have been corrected within a day or two not 10 days! It was enough aggravation that I'm looking for another money transfer app for our events.

Pros

I liked that it was a convenient way to accept payments anywhere via my mobile cell phone through the Square App.

Cons

I didn't like that customers couldn't make a payment directly from their phone & that Square charges a higher fee to manually enter a credit card. There was a glitch with square that kept showing a different totals than what was entered $82.00 it showed $82.03. The customer said run it with the .03. Then the next day LESS THAN 24 hours later I saw the deposit total from Square to our bank account and it was a lot more than it should have been. I looked up transactions and saw where 2 customers were highly over charged. (1) I entered $52.00 but Square deducted $520.09 from the customers card, (2nd) I entered $53.00 but Square deducted $530.06. I immediately looked through their website to see if I could refund the difference but had no way of doing so through the website. I was able to refund the difference through their Square App. That was done maybe 15 hours later I refunded the difference and sent screen shots of the refunds to the 2 customers. Two days later one of the girls said the refund hadn't processed. What seemed like 30 minutes or longer looking through their website for a phone number - called to speak to someone and was on hold for 30 min. or longer to get someone. This person didn't seem to care that I refunded these customer's accts. 15 hours or less from the transactions took place. He said it would take 7 to 10 business days to refund their accts. That was large amounts of money for someone to wait a week when it was caught 15 hours or less.

Likelihood to recommend: 4.0/10

Bill S.
Industry: Food & Beverages

Good Day, Bad Day

Reviewed on 31/1/2020

I’m a bit sad. For 6 years I have been using “Shopkeep” as my point of sale software provider. This is my cash register, and where I enter my inventory descriptions, quantities, prices, customer data and pretty much everything about my business. My sales histories, credit card transactions and, most importantly, 6 years of sales and customer info is stored on a distant Shopkeep cloud…. I think?
Six years ago I recall sitting at my kitchen bar and doing endless Google searches and reading endless reviews about the many POS providers and finally narrowing it down to two or three. I absolutely wanted cloud-based with IPad terminals and a small footprint. After doing a few online demos, I chose Shopkeep. And now, six years later, this lukewarm POS marriage with counseling, a lot of arguments and the threat of separation… I started chatting with “Square”. Yep, Square is the biggest cloud-based, IPad POS provider in the country. I am not a sheep, and I hate going with the Walgreens or WalMart of POS systems, but after six years of Shopkeep, I think I finally know what I really want. And for fear of sounding too techie or like a spouse coming out of a bad relationship, I’ll just say, one of the many advantages of being a billion dollar company is you can hire the best developers and programmers money can buy. So, need I say more. It is a wonderful product and no one is even close as to how it operates.

Pros

It operates just like your mind works. It is so logical. It was so simple to upload my inventory and customer data.

Cons

No option for another color system. The white color sticks out like a sore thumb. Otherwise, I would say they nailed it.

Joseph C.
Industry: Publishing

Own a business? You NEED this product!

Reviewed on 23/10/2018

If you're a business owner and you sell products or services, especially if you have multiple sites and/or have a mobile sales force, this product is a must. The access is easy, the interface is friendly, and the payment system is quick.

Pros

EASY to set up and use! In short time, we were able to set up our entire library online and make it simple to purchase and sell products. Once set up, everything is available to every member of team, so that one of our book sellers in California has access to the same products as a book seller in Michigan the moment the product is placed online. I also love that we can easily create multiple price points for products and can easily access them from the apps on various mobile devices, desktops etc...

The percentages paid to Square are as small as any other you will find, and they deposit funds into your bank account within 24-hours, with same-day options available for an extra, nominal fee. The no hassle, ease-of-deposit, process is a MUST for our small business.

Customer service has been off the charts good, and every small issue has been resolved quickly. I also love that so many web sites integrate with Square so that we can maintain one payment portal for 99% of what we do.

The technology (swipe devices, Point of Sale stands, card tappers/reader...work flawlessly with each and every device we've thrown at them (iPhones, iPads, Android, laptop...) and they look good, too.

Cons

Honestly, there is little to NOT like about this system. I've tried several others and since switching to Square 5 years ago, I've never looked back.

Theresa O.
Industry: Sporting Goods

Square delivers plenty of features at low cost

Reviewed on 30/12/2015
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

I have run a brick-and-mortar for more than 19 years, and got rid of my traditional merchant account about 5 years ago when fees became outrageous and unstable, and I also needed a mobile payment system as my bank did not offer one. I did some research and settled on Square. The product is intuitive and easy to navigate, and the cost for processing credit cards is reasonable at 2.75% for swiped and 3.5% for manually entered.
But that's just the beginning of what they offer: in 2013, the Square Market was an incredible add-on benefit provided for free! If you've needed e-commerce for your business, you know that this service can be costly, so for Square to provide it for merely the cost of each transaction processed is amazing. There are many features to the Market, such as the ability to embed items you are selling into your website, share on social media, etc. While the features aren't customizable to a great extent, it is still a very powerful platform for POS. I particularly appreciate the many reports that can be generated, receipts with custom messages you can send to clients who have shopped online, ability to send invoices, etc. They've added gift cards, which is a nice feature, and they have many third party vendor apps that interface with Square for inventory and financial processes for your business. New features are constantly being added, such as their Customer Engagement to create customer lists and do direct marketing to that list right from Square. This product is a powerful addition to your website and other marketing you may already be doing. I have recommended this product to many small business owners and non-profits, and have been a very happy user since late 2010.

Cons

I have found very little to dislike. I have seen comments online about deposits being held, a lack of ability to communicate easily with Square (initially, they had no phone customer service, but I always got very quick response from their techs via Twitter in the early days), and difficulty in raising deposit limits. I run two small businesses using Square, and for one of them had to ask for a large increase in daily deposits as my business grew. This was handled easily via email communications and took only a few days.

Kristine B.
Industry: Retail

Not perfect, but a big improvement!

Reviewed on 16/11/2018
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

Sales staff really like it compared to cash register and credit card terminal (or old-fashioned knuckle-buster imprinter for our remote locations). Predictable fees, which have been lower than for our previous traditional credit card processors, especially for in-person purchases and for American Express. No monthly fees or PCI compliance issues. Square Community is a helpful resource. Dashboard with a variety of reports works pretty well, and it's handy to be able to generate sales reports or search for individual transactions quickly.

Cons

Lack of good integration with Magento Community web software (only bottom line charge comes through). No ability to easily transfer inventory from one location to another. Problem with cash total on drawer report not matching sales report. Usually cash drawer is correct, which means sales are not recorded properly. This problem has existed since at least August 2016, while their engineers work on it. This lowest cost version of Square probably gets less attention than their monthly subscription products. Daily subtraction of processing fees creates a lot more work in QuickBooks than traditional credit card processors charging fees monthly. Customer support has been hit or miss. We've been misled a couple times. After uploading a file with inventory quantities for each product at each location, which took a lot of time to create, we discovered that inventory didn't start counting down with each sale unless we activated that feature on each product individually. That makes no sense. Searching for sales of individual items can be quite slow because it starts loading ALL items before giving a chance to choose.

Melody E.
Industry: Food & Beverages

Excellent as a cash register for small businesses

Reviewed on 29/10/2018

At the ice cream parlor I work at, the register is programmed with all of the items we sell. You can program buttons to create discounts either by a percentage of the sale or with a flat dollar amount. This program tracks sales by day and by product sold. We have used this for probably 2 years now and it allows us to track sales from the years past to see what the trends are. For example, how busy were we last Mother's Day or when to our sales start dropping as we head into/winter fall. This allows us to make informed decisions on how much staffing we need and what hours to keep our business open for. We can also see how well certain items are selling. So when we introduce new items it allows us to see if they are selling well and gives us insight as to how we need to market for our business. This replaced a simple cash register that we used to have, but it is so much more than a cash register with all of the information you can track and use to make decisions for your business.

Pros

This is an easily programmable software that can be used to create a point of sale register. I work at a coffee/ice cream parlor and we use the software for our register, and it stores our sales information and has been very helpful in marketing and determining what products have been selling well or poorly

Cons

I don't know if there's anything I don't like about this program. It's user friendly and I haven't really found any limitations or holdbacks to our business because of this

Catherine O.
Industry: Photography

Bad service good product

Reviewed on 27/2/2020

I love it for everything, even non business activity when my mom is trying to send money for my kids sports. I just manually enter her card, transfer to my account and go get their sports stuff but it really helps the business alot. I think the actual cash register conputers are nice as well as the headphone jack swipe style. Uniquely created for all. The business is growing with all the offered payment options

Pros

I love how easy it is to use. Very easy to put products into the pos. And I love being able to get the square reader when opening an account. Being able to enter cards manually is great too! Invoicing is easy for others to able to pay online. Its a very well rounded system.

Cons

Even though I like the security features square uses, they are also the downfall. Sometimes they put holds on your account when there isnt any suspicious activity and then you have to call and verify and make a big run around mess to finally get your money. It's a pain with customer service but the security is nice so I don't mind too much. Could make that a little easier to deal with though

Likelihood to recommend: 6.0/10

Christopher H.
Industry: Design
Company size: Self Employed

A total game changer for artists

Reviewed on 29/10/2019

Square POS enabled me to start taking credit card and debit payments for my work at public events, which revolutionized my business!

Pros

In the days before Square, if you were selling your wares at a craft show or art show or some sort of public event, you were limited to cash. Cash only. Square POS was and is a total game changer for those markets. Being an artist who sells his work at a lot of different shows and events, having the ability to accept credit payments (originally) and (more recently) debit transactions has not only lead to significantly more sales but also lead to more satisfied customers! Additionally, it integrates beautifully with Ecwid, to facilitate online credit payments for my website store front.

Cons

This isn't really a con of the Square reader or POS itself, but just a general point that you need to have a good solid wifi or cellular connection. Personally, I have never had an issue but always relying on my cellular connection instead of the available wifi at an event.

Connie H.

Nothing easier!

Reviewed on 5/6/2018
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

Wow -- we went from an expensive merchant credit account with expensive fees above and beyond transaction fees. The device/software was very inexpensive to move to. Moving to Square reduced costs significantly and transaction fees were well in line with the "discount" rates we were getting before -- without all the other fees. Because we're not handling credit card data in house, it also reduced our needs for managing compliance. It's easy to mobilize staff, the interface is simple, and the account can also be pulled up on a computer other device with a browser.

Cons

We had to purchase a new Square reader device when credit card technology evolved to chip, but I don't know that Square could have really done anything about building a device to handle the physical aspect of the technology change at the time they created the initial hardware. It wasn't a significant cost to upgrade the obsolete device to a chip version. It had no impact on the application.

Colton S.
Industry: Recreational Facilities & Services

Great choice for rental business

Reviewed on 7/4/2019

We are a water sports rental company and we use Square for our on site rental locations. Some of our locations are completely offline with no cell or internet service. Square has an offline mode that allows us to accept credit cards offline and charges once the device has service again. Obviously, you have to take a few precautions accepting cards offline but this feature is a must for us. Square has a fairly high card fee but the software is free and the readers are inexpensive. The system and reports makes it easy fro us to add customer profiles and get the info we need. The best part is you can simply switch from one device to the other and have multiple locations no problem and for no additional cost.

Pros

Easy to set up, it has basically every feature a POS software needs but makes it a little more simple. It's really easy go mobile and great as a back up for larger retail POS software in case a system is down. The Square POS is free to download. The card readers are inexpensive and look nice and again are easily transported and can switch from different devices. Inventory tracking and simple shortcut displays for quick check outs. Offline mode is a great feature.

Cons

The credit card fees are not the cheapest out there. Some of the UI could be better organized like adding a new customer. I think being able to connect card readers to a laptop would be convent as well as an app for laptops.

Sarah M.
Industry: Cosmetics

Great for vendor fairs

Used Other for 2+ years
Reviewed on 14/1/2020

I’ve had zero issues with square. I’m always confident when I’m selling using the app, it’s so easy and the credit card rates are average.

Pros

The Square chip reader is so easy to use. It’s reliable, fast, user friendly, and easy to set up. It holds a charge and looks great when checking out customers on my iPhone. My Shopify reader is so unreliable, even though I use it for e-commerce, I always revert to square when on the road.

Cons

I wish there was a way to streamline the inventory tracking. I have a nail polish line with over 40 colors. It’s impossible to scroll and find each product to track. I always just use quick sale option.

Square Point of Sale gets you fast money

Reviewed on 17/5/2019

I hightly do recommend this program for anyone that is out and about doing flea markets, trade shows and any business that wants people to be able to use their credit cards for payment. I like the idea of making money this way rather than losing money not having the program. Try it i think you will like it. It worth to make money and get the money in your bank.

Pros

i have square point of sale. What is great about this is that when you make a sale then money goes straight to your bank account. Square point of sale is connected to your bank account is where the money is sent. Which is nice also. Square point of sale does take a small percentage out for their use of their program. Kinda like having a credit card charge swipe. Then the money goes into your bank in 2-3 days but it does goes in the bank. The percentage taken out is like 30 cents which is not bad when you make a large profit on sales.

Cons

What i least about this program would be having to wait 2-3 days for the money to get in the bank. That would be the only thing. Otherwise it great program that helps with business. Using the square point of sale swipe to use credit card payments is really a great technology.

Harry J.
Industry: Retail

Square changed our Business when our business went through a change

Reviewed on 13/10/2017
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

The best Credit Card processor and a whole lot more!

Pros

Straightforward product and fees, no guess work. We will never use traditional credit card processing ever again. Traditional credit card processing is riddled with false claims and hidden fees. Square does not do this at all, I get paid the next day in full and they provide to me free of charge an olineline presence with a shopping cart...FREE How cool. Oh and did I mention that it all runs on an IPAD and IPHONe. I can make and collect money anywhere. It also works with no internet. Perfect product for us.

Cons

We wish the shopping cart were integrated into Infusionsoft and Rezovation (our hotel reservation system,) Also, we wish it could inventory items that we use in the business that we do not sell like bottles, corks, supplies.

Anya B.
Industry: Arts & Crafts

Square Makes It Easy

Reviewed on 7/10/2019

Pros

I love being able to create different locations and taylor the products, pricing and taxes to each location individually. Integration with Craftybase is excellent.

Cons

Wish it integrated better with Shipstation

Ashlee W.
Industry: Fine Art

Great for Business

Reviewed on 26/10/2019

Pros

Using the regular square reader was easy enough, but switching to the POS was a great move for our business. Much easier to use, especially when it gets busy.

Cons

It has a tendency to freeze up, and sometimes takes several tries. Not often though.

Industry: Nonprofit Organisation Management

Onsite event payments are so much easier with Square

Used Monthly for 2+ years
Reviewed on 10/4/2019

No more long lines with faces of disgust now that we use Square. We used to get a lot of snide comments about our onsite registration, especially with the carbon paper swipers but now everything has been smooth sailing. Square is cheap and easy to setup, easy to use and the fees are very reasonable. highly recommended.

Pros

We used to use those carbon paper credit card machines to get payment info for onsite events. It was extremely slow, messy, took a lot of physical effort and resulted in long lines. Then, we started using whatever CMS we were using at the time and that took a lot of time as well because people had to fill out a long registration form and sometimes the payment wouldn't go through. In comes Square and now life is easy. We still use the CMS for larger events that require more details but for the small events, Square has been a lifesaver.

Cons

There were some times when the login did not work and I had to request password changes even when I know I was using the right credentials. There was also a couple times when I wasn't able to get the correct item charged but I think both of those were more based on user unfamiliarity and error than an actual issue with the software. The only other minor complaint I would have is sometimes the card reader is touchy and needs a few swipes before it works but that is probably due to old cards and it is an extremely minor issue compared to the benefits.

Andrew M.
Industry: Alternative Medicine

I think Square beats all of its competitors due to its simplicity and fast deposits.

Reviewed on 10/7/2018

Pros

This platform has competitive fees, and is easy to use. I mostly use the little square swiper from my phone. The money received is always deposited quickly into my bank, and I can pay a little to have it accelerated further if I choose.
The company made it easy for me to take FHA payments with a minor application procedure.
On the computer, it is easy to send custom invoices to people, and easy to follow them up.
I see no reason to use any other software to take payment from clients, in person or remotely.

Cons

I would like it if the reports were more user friendly and customizable. I'd like to be able to access the specific info I require with less steps.

Industry: Consumer Goods

I would never switch to another POS/merchant processor

Reviewed on 21/8/2018

Our merchant processing costs are significantly lower. If you have a small budget , this is better than traditional merchant processors.

Pros

I love that it is intuitive. Everything is drag and drop. I rarely need help, but when I do, answers are easy to find. I've only seen them crash once in 4+ years and their team was extremely responsive.

Cons

I think the Employee Management tab could use improvement. I also stopped using the Loyalty feature, as I didn't see that it drove incremental business... just gave free stuff to people for doing what they were already doing. I heard they're rolling out a new loyalty program, so I'm anxious to hear what that includes.

Matthew S.
Industry: Medical Practice

Best ever for Credit Card Purchases

Reviewed on 14/12/2019
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

The software has improved dramatically since we started using it. It is much faster now and there is now a terminal and printer to use. It has been very reliable and haven't been killed with monthly service charges or additional add on charges (like an annual security update fee) as we have had in the past.

Pros

Easy to use. There are no hidden fees or monthly service charges. Charges can be either keyed in or a card swipe.

Cons

No real cons. They did start charging for additional card readers. If you had a poor or no internet connection charges could not be processes.

Rachel B.
Industry: Photography
Company size: Self Employed

Loving square for my business

Reviewed on 16/4/2019

Over I absolutely love this app it makes running my business so easy I love that I get payed a day later they have even fixed it so you can cash out sooner if you pay a small fee, they help with organizing your products and pricing they are truly amazing!

Pros

I love that I only need my phone if I forget my card reader to charge a client I can literally do business anywhere they have made my life simpler, the card reader is also super easy to use and there app is so cool I'm still trying to use all of the new cool features the keep adding to it I highly recommend this to any business but especially small businesses they save you so much money and don't have to buy a ridiculous card machine that costs thousands of dollars.

Cons

The only con about this is sometimes the readers have issues but it's fine cause you can still type the info into your phone the other thing is they want you to switch to the new chip reader I hate those and I dont want to switch so I probably won't

Theresa K.

Square

Reviewed on 27/11/2019

There's a reason so many small businesses use Stripe - it works. We use it at our gift shop, and $5 card readers that work with any phone means that we can easily scale up to have multiple "registers" at larger fundraising events.

Pros

Square is easy to use - all you need as a phone. I was pleased to learn that new card readers are available that plug into iPhone lightning jacks, since these phones no longer have headphone jacks and aren't compatible with the old readers.

Cons

I would like to be able to use the chip reader, but can't justify the price. In the meantime, the card reader (swiping cards) works fine.

Emily R.
Industry: Arts & Crafts

EVERYONE needs this

Used Other for 2+ years
Reviewed on 21/2/2019

Overall, great! Just a few issues that cause minor annoyances, but not a deal-breaker. My favorite of the 3 total credit card payment apps I've tried using.

Pros

Convenience. Take payments anywhere. Why doesn't everyone take advantage of this. I NEVER HAVE CASH ON ME PLEASE

Creating items & managing categories is super easy with the ability to view all your info on desktop.

Cons

I personally unplug + plug in my square reader quite often. (i multitask a lot = take a payment, hang out on my phone for a while, rinse and repeat). when the reader plugs in initially, a pop-up appears telling me it's preparing the reader for use. this pop-up stays up for ... SO LONG. really it's just a few seconds, but during those few seconds i'm usually already trying to search for an item to prepare for a payment. i find myself waiting for that pop-up to go away so i can actually use the app SO much. often times i still try to navigate the app through the pop-up, but it's hard to see what i'm clicking on lol

Industry: Higher Education

New Standard for Small Business POS

Reviewed on 24/5/2019

Creating less friction during each and every point of sale, and tracking trends of our business.

Pros

I love how Square POS anticipates the likely needs of its users and provides simple, efficient solutions. For example, the rewards program that we have used in our business (10 stars = 1 free) is so freaking easy to set up on Square. Because it's so easy for our customers to set up, more and more of them are using it.
Another thing I love about Square's POS is all of the different reports you're able to generate. As a numbers-nerd, I love being able to track our progress and look at trends over time. This software has been invaluable to us in doing so.

Cons

So far, there really isn't anything that I've had trouble with. I have no complaints or suggestions for improvements. Anytime we think of something we'd like, it turns out that Square has already thought of it and has it as an available option.

Ashleigh D.
Industry: Education Management

Square: For ANYONE!

Used Weekly for 1+ year
Reviewed on 21/11/2018

My entire experience has been positive. Square brings the technology of accepting card payments efficiently to average people.

Pros

As a new business owner, I have to minimize my costs. When I began vending, I noticed that I was losing out on sales because I had no way to accept card-based payment methods. I began to research and realized that this option was within reach, despite being a small business with no experience in accepting card payments. The process of setting up my account, ordering my Square reader, accepting digital payments, and transferring my money couldn't be easier. This software makes accepting card payments accessable to EVERYONE - even if you have no experience with the process. I do not consider myself especially tech-savvy, but I found the process to be a breeze! The fees are very low per transaction, and instant access to your money is extremely convenient.

Cons

Occasionally, I had to re-swipe cards due to a reading error. This could have been human error, however, it does make customers nervous to see their card swiped twice.

Whitney S.

Point of Sale by Square

Used Other for 1+ year
Reviewed on 9/8/2019

Pros

We as an organization really like using Point of Sale by Square when we are at fundraisers we put on as a non-profit and people want to make donations but do not have cash, check, etc. but only have a card. It makes it really easy that the card reader just plugs into the iPad and we can accept credit card donations while out and about!

Cons

Even though our donations can still process without our iPad being on WIFI, I still don't recommend doing it unless you absolutely have too. It can sometimes be tricky to get that information to show up on the back side of things.