Cloudflare

4.7/5
4.6/5
4.3/5

Jay H.

Massive gains with little effort or cost

Reviewed on 5/5/2020

Cloudflare can be categorized as an easy win. We have been using Cloudflare exclusively for almost all of our agency's clients for several years and cannot recommend them enough. It can be setup in under 30min and provide measurable results and improvements to a domain's performance and security immediately.

* More performant and cost effective than Google Cloud, or Amazon AWS offerings.
* Ranks #1 on DNSPerf.io
* Winner of Network World's "Managed DNS Shootout"

The most consistent barrier to adoption for a client is usually the client's I.T. department with arguments along the lines of "GoDaddy's nameservers are good enough.", fears of a product they don't have personal experience with, or a fear of giving up total control of DNS.

Pros

* Extremely easy to use
* Performant
* Extremely generous free tier
* Security
* UAC
* Effortless SSL
* Effortless CDN
* Overall better UX

Cons

* Support is via a ticketing system and can be slow when you're utilizing their free plan.

Constellix, Google Cloud Platform and Neustar UltraDNS

Reasons for Choosing Cloudflare

Performance, Reliability, Security options, Ease of use
Hannah S.
  • Industry: Graphic Design

The best tool for web page security

Reviewed on 9/1/2020

Thanks to Cloudflare we have excellent security on the web pages, it works great and it is very easy to use it, the interface is excellent and easy to understand, totally happy with the results offered by this tool. and I would recommend to other people who use this service, since I use it there is excellent security and I can say that it is the best platform of this style and type that is why it is so successful and people use it.

Pros

It is a security tool for all the web pages that we manage, it offers excellent security and it offers free SSL certificate which is important so that each website visitor feels security and tranquility, also helps against DDOS attacks in an impressive way and is One of its strengths for which Cloudflare is known, its way of configuring is easy and the interface is simple and easy to handle. In addition to this it also has very good free options that all users can use.

Cons

I really have no complaints or I see significant problems, There are more solutions and utilities that Cloudflare gives than the problems that may arise in certain situations, if there is something to mention and that is when changing a configuration; these changes may take time to make, but basically it does not represent major problems since it is a safe and reliable tool that we can trust and ensure our safety.

Viktoria J.

An effective solution to keep your website secure and fast

Reviewed on 12/2/2021

I use Cloudflare to protect and cache all of the websites I ever made for my company or for our clients. Primarily we use it for caching, which sped up our websites by a factor of 10. We also use it to gather information on bandwidth usage, and to make sure we are protected from attacks we can always use it to put our websites in defensive modes. It is an amazing tool I would recommend to everyone working on websites who needs a good cache system.

Pros

The sheer number of features offered by Cloudflare is astonishing! Even if you use it primarily for the cache, it is still an amazing tool that gives a lot and asks for just a little. There are no websites that I run that are not on Cloudflare and I plan on keeping it that way.

Cons

The clean cache button is hidden in a tab while it should not be. It feels like it was put there just to encourage people to pay for the service as the first tab that opens is the one that offers a paid for service and contains only a sentence and a button. I hated when they did that and hope they soon fix it. It feels like a cheap cash grab and does not feel like it belongs to such a respectable and high-quality service.

Andrew F.

Cloudflare is a “must have”

Reviewed on 27/2/2019

I’ve been using website caching providers for about 7 years now, and switched to Cloudflare about 4 years ago. I have not once looked back. For the money, CloudFlare is by far the best caching solution on the market. I use it on two websites, each with different needs, and am able to achieve very affordably what would have been a pretty expensive configuration a decade ago. The automation in CloudFlare makes it simple for anybody to use them. I have a technical background, but many of my clients don’t, and I’m able to walk them through getting set up and running with CloudFlare with very short order. I see myself being a CloudFlare customer for years to come.

Pros

The Cloudflare interface is intuitive and the software is extremely simple to use. The “set it and forget it” functionality is amazing, as it serves very much as an autonomous coaching solution once properly configured. Sure, you’ll need to tweak it from time to time as your website needs change, but that process is inviting and easy, even for people with less technical background. I also love the value that you get in even the lower-tiered price points. The DNS management is a huge bonus as well.

Cons

It’s hard to say something bad about Cloudflare, but if I had to play devil’s advocate, I’d say that there are maybe a few features in the higher tier packages that I’d like to see in the entry level plan. Most users won’t feel this way though, as my particular needs are a little more specific than most.

Alex T.

All in One Solution for Website Speed and Security

Reviewed on 24/5/2019

Pros

The best feature about this software, in my opinion, is their trade marked Javascript delivery optimization mode: Rocket Loader. This feature enables asynchronous loading of all third party scripts loaded on your web page, drastically increase page load times. Our team enables this feature on each of our client's websites and always results in at least a 10% difference in page speed scores.

Another feature that our company could certainly not live without is their dead simple firewall rule integration. A large majority of our clients only accept work locally or nationally, so any traffic coming from international sources is more than likely visiting with malicious intent. The country blocking feature in the firewall integration allows us to block this likely malicious traffic and decrease the odds of any security breaches into our client's sites.

Cons

The only annoyance I had while using this software was the 30 second delay when clearing the server cache. This is a very small issue since 30 seconds is certainly not a long time, but my patience is not great when attempting to debug or optimize page speeds. This problem can be solved by turning development mode on, but when this feature is on all optimization features are disabled, so optimizing page speeds is not possible.

The web goes through Cloudflare

Reviewed on 31/5/2020

Cloudflare allows me to have one general dashboard for most of my DNS usage, has relevant security and performance improvements and I can turn on/off individual features as I please. it's a very good and reliable central hub where to handle all of that work, which would be annoying without. I've been using it.. forever it feels like, and I'm happy with it.

Pros

The free opportunity is so robust that most of the websites I have go through Cloudflare FREE plan, even if just to handle DNS. It works perfectly and then you can scale up individual websites as you need to.

Cons

There really isn't much not to like, everything works as it should. If there's anything I could say something about their rocket loader not playing nice with many web platforms, so it can't really be used much. But that's it.

Sarah B.

Cloudflare is a good tool to manage networks and their security

Reviewed on 17/9/2019

The Cloudflare platform allows us to identify the behavior of our visitors and bots, which other types of common analytical technologies are not capable of. Its WAF function gives us the protection of our DDos and SSL certificates, thus also protecting website owners and visitors from any online threat. There is not much to say that we have not said before. Cloudflare seemed to us from the beginning a great investment, full of labor advantages. The ease with which we can integrate the cloudflare platform to other services through the use of API tools has turned out to be very convenient. Totally recommended.

Pros

Cloudfare provides a fairly customizable open API, and its encryption system is safe for sites whose purpose is to protect intellectual property. Cloudflare has a convenient system for creating web traffic reports, and allows prioritizing threats to our website. Cloudflare is a network protection service highly recommended to carry a secure management and without problems. Its use is highly recommended for businesses with large networks, in order to avoid material losses. This platform is considered indispensable for web security.

Cons

Its system for tracking extraordinary events is not very customizable. It is quite limited when it comes to the removal of spyware, and can not do analysis of the vulnerabilities closest to our page. In addition, it does not offer protection guarantees for attachments, or anti-spam filter for emails.

Freddy S.

Glad I Discovered This!

Reviewed on 5/1/2017

After having used Cloudflare for over a year, I'm happy to know that they are continuing to grow. I feel that their role as a CDN has improved both the speed with which my website loads to viewers as well as security they provide for the backend of my site. Within the past year, I was witness to live DDoS attacks on my site thru 3rd party security software. When this took place, I was able to change one setting ("Under Attack") on Cloudflare which effectively locked down my website to the attackers and yet still kept it free on the web for others to use. Once the attack was over, I just changed the setting back to normal and all was good. One more thing to add, because of the way in which a CDN delivers, it was very convenient to be able to "clear the cache" at Cloudflare after making changes to my site. More importantly, you have the option of clearing just the cache of the specific page you were working on.

Pros

Ease of use, features provided.

Cons

Nothing I can think of at the time of this writing.

Aaron B.
  • Industry: Broadcast Media

Great CDN with much more to offer

Reviewed on 9/1/2019

We use Cloudflare as a CDN, when we first set-up we ran into some errors, but support helped us create rules so the cache did not affect the admin panel of our site. Cloudflare helps us save on bandwidth and if our server goes down, delivers a cached version of our site to users.

Pros

Very easy to set-up and many web hosts offer a one click set-up through CPanel. Free Plan offers all websites need and upgrading to a paid plan is very easy. If you don't know what something is, their team gets back with you right away.

Cons

There is not much to dislike about Cloudflare, you can run into some problems when you first set-up if some rules are not set-up properly. They should offer plugins for CMS suites for flawless integration.

Adam K.

Non existing customer support

Reviewed on 8/1/2020

I have used their services for many years and would recommend them to anyone with the patience to find out all the available and very useful services on their own. My last, very frustrating experience has ruined the positive experience of previous years. I had to move the site back to the original hosting losing a significant amount of time.

Pros

I have to admit, when it works, it is an amazing solution to load your website quicker and get better SEO scores.

Cons

Generally, no support exists. I have sent 10 emails begging them for help with one of my website which suddenly had an IP issue. The site was down and not a single response arrived. 10 emails in 10 days. The worst customer service experience ever.

Madison M.

Easy and Reliable

Reviewed on 19/9/2019

The few times I needed Cloudflare support, they were quick and helpful. Cloudflare made website management much more manageable!

Pros

DNS is difficult to understand but Cloudflare takes out a lot of guesswork. Since a lot of traffic is proxied through Cloudflare, SSL is also incredibly easy to set up. It's DNS scan feature is very accurate, which is really helpful since I'm working with clients who have their own domains but we manage the DNS. Page rules are an added bonus to create some set up "add-ons" that make a lot of our requests easy to manage.

Overall, my favorite feature are the email alerts for when a domain's nameservers no longer point to Cloudflare. That allows us to provide invaluable customer service for our own clients.

Cons

The recent UI change made adding DNS records a little more tedious. Some of the features (e.g. Always Use HTTPS) aren't as prominent as I think they should be since security is so important.

Umair B.

The Best Web Performance and Website Security Company

Reviewed on 6/10/2020

I have four top-level domain names, and the nameservers of all these websites are pointed to the cloudflare. Now the speed of my websites pages is really better and perfect. Now I feel that the content of my websites is really secure. I really like the incredible features of cloudflare like Page Rules, Analytics, DNS, SSL, Firewall and other options.

Pros

Cloudflare is a professional and famous platform, that allows you to improve the performance and speed of your website. You can use SSL security certificate option and there are lots of other features that are really useful and incredibly good for your website content. You can enable a lot of optimization option like image resizing, auto minify the javascript, css, and html.

Cons

I am using the Cloudflare and I have found it extraordinary best for my websites. Because now my users are really satisfied with the speed of my website. So according to my experience, there are no cons.

Samim S.
  • Industry: Apparel & Fashion

Getting fast image loads and sites

Reviewed on 17/7/2019

Running an ecommerce site for multiple target location is tough and delivering content fast is more than a cake walk so we are using CloudFlare CDN and now our site is loading fast in our target geographic locations such as USA and Europe. The integration is very easy as just hosting the DNS with them is enough and it can cache static content very easily. We have compared the result without DNS and this tool is giving us really good performance. Its a must for every ecommerce site and on top of it you can use the free cdn feature as long as you want with extra bandwidth saving.

Pros

- Very good DNS management console.
- Easy to implement CDN for specific sites or subdomains.
- Very good caching of static contents such as images and files.
- Many edge points to our target market.

Cons

- Have not found any such major issue with this tool.

Good deal with extensive security

Reviewed on 14/4/2021

Cloudflare has been easy to work with. Their support is responsive but not always the smartest on things. I think their product has grown a lot and keeps adding complimentary products that have kept us ahead of attacks. Our site is also lot faster using their tool.

Pros

Simple to get going and provide some basic security for a site. Their pricing is agreeable for small businesses that need powerful protection. We have seen DDoS attacks stopped by Cloudflare for years now and it only keeps getting better. They have added more robust features however they do cost extra but its worth it.

Cons

Some of the layer 7 attack prevention methods are not very automatic. It would be great if they auto blocked certain IPs or ASN that went over a certain metric threshold. There is no reason an IP should be able to send 1TB of bandwidth without a challenge. If there was a rule system that could help with these cases.

Philip E.
  • Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

Incredible tool for improving site performance and customer experience

Reviewed on 10/6/2018

This software improves the experiences of our customers, which leads to better customer experiences and consequentially is an irreplaceable tool in our tool belt.

Pros

We use this tool everyday to improve the customer experience as they interact with our websites. Anyone familiar with a CDN will know why its important for delivery of content to the end user, and Cloudflare gets this right. In addition the software is user focused, its not hard to find what you are looking for, whether that be a simple task like clearing cache, or their always online technology. Its very good stuff.

Cons

I honestly cannot think of anything that Cloudflare is not at least addressing, if not outright mastering within this field.

Michael H.

Easy to set up, and great added security for almost any website

Reviewed on 27/4/2019

Cloudflare is a great solution for beginners looking to secure their website, as we have a couple clients' using their services for smaller websites.

Pros

The biggest feature for Cloudflare lies in its' simplicity to set up with your site and domain. Many hosts and Cpanels now offer Cloudflare integration, which will set up the DNS for you with one click.

Once you're set up, Cloudflare runs seamlessly in the background. The DDoS protection (while not necessary for most smaller sites) is great for peace of mind. Most people use Cloudflare for the free SSL encryption, which is great, but it's important to at least do your research on some free encryption services that have surfaced recently (Let's Encrypt, etc.)

Cons

In our uses, we found the 'always live' features, which offers a cached version of your site in the event it goes down, didn't quite work all the time. In the few times our site went down, users were met with a Cloudflare connection error message, which really defeats the purpose...

Additionally, in some cases, we had some issues with IP address reporting on our traffic, which caused some conflicts. This was solved by disabling a few settings within the Cloudflare panel.

Maria B.

cloud flare with blue host

Reviewed on 11/7/2020

Overall I did not expect the service to be that seamless.

Pros

it seamlessly adapted to my hosting site. Cloud flare is a great tool for beginners too. Just make sure that the hosting services has this product.

Cons

Nothing really, can't complain. I do not know what else this company can do to improve but there is always rooms.

Tony S.

Great for simple use cases!

Reviewed on 7/9/2018

I enjoy cloudflare overall. I don't have advanced use-cases but for my simple needs (usually toying with staging sites, setting up web toolkits and delivery sites) it allows me to quickly setup SSL, DNS and get things going without a hassle.

I also use cloudflare to setup dns for many of my website clients. That way I can quickly control their settings from a single interface instead of jumping to whomever they may have their hosting/domain setup with. Plus with members access, you can add an admin with proper privileges and delegate work out smartly. That's always a plus in management software such as this.

Most of the things that I have personally read about cloudflare falling short on are things that I don't' rely on Cloudflare that greatly for. So for me, Cloudflare gets high marks. It does what I need it to, and it does it cleanly and well.

Pros

Setup is quick and easy, and a free account gets you access to tools you'll need for simple sites.

Cons

Many more advanced tools are pay locked, but that's to be expected. I've had a few glitches here and there with their caching which can really be a pain. There seems to be no way to permanently disable caching or provide granular control over what gets cached in the free version.

Ruairi M.

Fantastic Domain & DNS Management Tool

Reviewed on 18/7/2019

Cloudflare has so many benefits & features for domains that every single domain I manage goes on it. Essential for web designers & developers!

Pros

Cloudflare is an amazing piece of software. Almost every single one of my web design clients domains are on it, over 30 at this stage.
It has several features, any of which would make it an amazing tool:

- Free SSL certificate for every domain
- DNS updates are made in minutes. Compared to hours for changes to propagate with the usual DNS providers, this is a seriously useful feature and has saved me time, hassle and annoyance on many an occasion.
- Security and DDoS protection features, verification checks for suspicious traffic.
- Speeds up websites via caching & minifying

And all the of the above is free!

Cons

No complaints, haven't had any issues with Cloudflare since I started using it.

Muddassar B.
  • Industry: Apparel & Fashion

Protect and Secure Your Website

Reviewed on 30/4/2021

I have attached my domains with Cloudflare. I have seen a very clear difference in the performance of my sites. I am very satisfied.

Pros

If you want to secure and protect your websites, then Cloudflare is the best option for you. Because this platform will allow you to add multiple domains to the dashboard. Your websites security perfomance will be better.

Cons

All options including clearing cache and other features are outstanding without cons, issues and negative points.

Bryan M.

Our choice for CDN and Security on Websites/Webapps

Reviewed on 7/3/2018

We use many of the features of cloudflare on our websites. SSL, CDN, security, performance. Some websites we use their paid plans, but on others the free plan is all we need and offers a great amount of features.

Pros

Cloudflare provides CDN, SLL, DDS protection, offline pages. No other system offers the same power, features and flexibility that Cloudflare does for us. Easy to setup on existing websites/webapps and provides many performance and security features. Easier to setup on multiple sites/apps than any other available options.

Cons

The UI could do better at making suggestions to users about what features might be most relevant to their particular product, taking Cloudflare one step further in ease of use.

Karen H.

One the top CDN's

Reviewed on 1/8/2019

I like it and I think it offers great value to its users.

Pros

When you have a website especially for your business you want it to be fast. Cloudflare helps you increase your site speed pretty good with their free plan. Its a widely used company for various businesses and the settings are easy to understand and tweak to your needs.

Cons

Sometimes when they go down most of the internet goes with it. Its a popular system that controls a lot of sites you use every day.

Justin H.
  • Industry: Business Supplies & Equipment

Full suite of cloud based tools to put in front of your website and now business

Reviewed on 22/6/2021

Pros

Cloudflare for DNS has protected us from DDOS attacks and makes the overall site faster for end customers. We have also started using some of the apps including the chat app.

Cons

Needs some domain management expertise to fully utilize the feature set.

Steve D.

Good service

Reviewed on 17/11/2016

Many good services, Setup is quick and painless, Technical support is fast, courteous and accurate. Configuring settings is easy with the extensive documentation.

Pros

Many features are available for free.

Cons

There are some advanced settings that could make your site inaccessible.

Sylvain B.

Cloudflare is The CDN

Reviewed on 6/2/2019

Cloudflare is the CDN I like and use for many websites I own, create or manage. Free or low cost, it is effective and reliable.

Pros

I build website and give website support for many years. I use Cloudflare for many websites I build or manage to have an SSL certificate, add more security and speed to a site, manage DNS and get trafic stats. And it's FREE or low price for add-ons.

Cons

I think we can't share an account (a website) to a partner or a client.