Gusto

4.6 (3,696)
Gusto is the all-in-one HR platform for growing businesses.

(3,696)
4.5/5
4.5/5
4.7/5
4.4/5

Trevor

Best platform for payroll, benefits & more

Reviewed on 13/12/2019

Overall it has been great to have everything in one place. Before we used Zenefits and Gusto and moved everything to Gusto. Its been a good move.

Pros

It simple to use and does everything we need to run the primary administrative tasks for our business.

Cons

The HSA feature did not move over seamlessly from Zenefits and is more expensive for a small team to have and the 401k option has been a bit of work to get moved over.

Zenefits

Reasons for Choosing Gusto

We had benefits in Zenefits and payroll in Gusto when both companies concentrated on these areas. Once they both begin offering both we weighed our options to combine everything into a single platform. It seemed like Gusto was headed in the right direction more than Zenefits.

Zenefits
Crystal
  • Industry: Arts & Crafts

Very nice, easy way to get paid

Reviewed on 6/12/2022

This allowed me to get paid quickly from a contractor without any additional fees or charges such as what I would get if I used Paypal or Square instead. It was nice that it went right into my checking account, too, saving me the step of having to make that transfer myself because the money went into another company's account balance instead.

Pros

It was reliable, never had any issues receiving payments, and payments went directly into my checking account with no fees or extra charges.

Cons

I would have liked communication about when a transaction was beginning (payment was initiated) instead of only getting one when it was complete.

Mark
  • Industry: Semiconductors

Forced BioMetric Scanning is Invasion of Privacy

Reviewed on 5/12/2022

Terrible experience, customer service not knowledgeable and not empowered.After a week of working with customer service, they had gotten absolutely nothing accomplished and not been in communication of status along the way. Pretty much just did nothing.

Pros

Getting paid, when it works, however at this point Gusto has completely failed in this mission.

Cons

Difficult to use, support staff took days to respond and never resolved the issue.No solution, even though support said it was a major software bug.Prevented payment processing entirely for validation that could be done over the phone.

Sarah

Gusto payroll review

Reviewed on 30/9/2022

Gusto is a good low-cost software for payroll. Customer support is uneven, mostly due to Covid. They are focusing their efforts on mid-sized or larger companies.

Pros

Gusto integrates well with Quickbooks Online. It's also fairly easy to onboard new clients/employees.

Cons

he reports are hard to figure out. I've had trouble looking finding what I'm looking for. Don't like how their journal entries work.

QuickBooks Payroll

Reasons for Choosing Gusto

Quickbooks online is expensive and bad. Paychex made a mistake on a W2, and they took three months to fix it.

Reasons for Switching to Gusto

Quickbooks and Paychex have terrible customer service so I was looking for a company that costs less and has better service.
Malcolm
  • Industry: Design
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

I Get Paid!

Reviewed on 17/12/2022

Pros

As a freelance/contract designer and content creator, I like using this software and being paid by more than one client from different industries is possible.

Cons

As someone getting paid, the backend seems a little confusing to me, but I hope my clients feel secure and enjoy the ease of use, so paying me for my time and efforts doesn't cause them more time and effort.

Tessa
  • Industry: Commercial Real Estate

Gusto is great for payroll and onboarding!

Reviewed on 8/12/2022

Gusto has helped to make payroll and HR administration an easy task no longer at the top of my list to get through each week. I’m happy to have a place where all of my employee information is located!

Pros

What I’ve liked most about Gusto is the ability to quickly pay out of state employees and contractors without paperwork! I love that the employee enters their own private info for payment and W-2s.

Cons

I’ve liked least having to track and fix tax compliance issues and lack of easy customer support regarding this.

Beckie
  • Industry: Nonprofit Organisation Management

A contractor's dream

Reviewed on 19/12/2022

It has been really positive - It saves me hours during tax preparation

Pros

I appreciate being able to manage all of my billable hours in one portal. I also get reminders from Gusto about payment info directly e-mailed to me.

Cons

I have no complaints using Gutso - it is very user friendly and intuitive.

Charles

Gusto Review

Reviewed on 7/12/2022

Gusto has the best user interface for payroll making it a clear winner for smaller companies and allows for automation of crucial repetitive tasks so you don't waste hours of time day in and day out. Solid payroll management software at an affordable price.

Pros

Gusto is one of the best online payroll services for small businesses, it's fast, reliable and provides us with a seamless payroll process from start to finish. We use this to ensure employees are paid accurately and on time. It sorts employee payroll for you, has the ability to offer time tracking and manages all benefits for your employees, onboarding is as easy as 1, 2, 3 with Gusto making hiring and integrating new employees a fast and paineless process.

Cons

There are some limitations for integration with other software but this was an issue rarely faced. There is also no app and while this is not essential it feels like this would be commonplace in todays market.

Jeanette

Great Platform!

Reviewed on 1/12/2022

I have been very pleased with Gusto for payroll and time tracking. Easy to use, intuitive and organized.

Pros

Fun and easy to use for time tracking and payroll.

Cons

I haven't found anything I don't like about Gusto.

Amanda
  • Industry: Executive Office

Great App!!

Reviewed on 13/12/2022

love this app!

Pros

Where to begin this is one of the best apps I have ever used. Everything I need for my business is all in one spot.

Cons

As of right now I love everything about Gusto

Rick

Payroll with a personal touch

Reviewed on 23/2/2021

I’ve used Gusto as a freelancer with clients that operate their business with this service. I also use it at my day job with my Agency to manage my team's time off benefits and payroll. It’s a great product that I find myself recommending to others all the time

Pros

There are many products available that handle payroll, benefits, and employee database. My favorite thing about Gusto is that it uses a very human and personal approach to what could very easily be a cold and lifeless system or department.

I love the option to add contractors through he payroll system too.

The gusto customer service team is top notch.

Turbo Tax integration is fantastic

Cons

There’s very little to complain about with Gusto. I do wish it had a more catered option for freelancer one man band type of operations.

FreshBooks and Quickbooks Online

Reasons for Choosing Gusto

Gusto is a product that feels like it’s designed by people who think about people.

Reasons for Switching to Gusto

Gusto has a personal touch and they’re customer service team is fantastic too
David
  • Industry: Medical Practice

Great Payroll Software for a Great Price

Reviewed on 7/12/2021

Overall, Gusto is great tool for achieving many of the Human Resource and Payroll functions for companies of all sizes. Gusto's ability to operate immediately as well as its ease of use make it perfect. The reminder functions in Gusto are phenomenal, well thought out and appropriately timed. The system runs well, without any issues. In fact, I don't really recall ever having an issue running payroll because Gusto was down. The product is well worth the money and has a great price point, considering all of the available functions. I would highly recommend Gusto.

Pros

Gusto allows you to run payroll, effectively, upon sign-up. The system has numerous features that help to ensure that you are reminded when payroll is supposed to be run (as an administrator its something that is frequently forgotten when extremely busy), automatically tabulates and prepares tax documents for employees and contractors and even assisted with the preparation of forms for SBA Loans during the COVID-19 pandemic. The software is straightforward and is fairly self explanatory. Gusto is also a great onboarding tool that allows you to collect a significant portion of information needed to effectively onboard an employee and comply with state and federal requirements (E-verify, etc.) Overall, the software is excellent for its price point and well worth the money.

Cons

The only con associated with Gusto is the lack of customizable report options. Obviously, this con is more of a company or need specific issue. We found that utilizing Gusto for certain reporting needs for data generation was cumbersome or not really possible. However, I must also say that there have only been two instances over the last 1-2 years that we have encountered this problem and were able to successfully obtain this information from other resources.

Reasons for Choosing Gusto

We made the switch from both Xero and QuickBooks because we found the software with Quickbooks to be overly cumbersome for our use. Further, Xero lacked a lot of the functions that we felt we needed. Gusto is able to accommodate both needs associated with our intended use.

Reasons for Switching to Gusto

We ultimately selected Gusto because of the price point, ease of use and dependability associated with Gusto.
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

Great for payroll

Reviewed on 8/3/2022

It's great for payroll. We don't pay for the leave management or other items because it is too expensive, but the payroll features are great.

Pros

Gusto is great for it's payroll and benefits platform. They do exactly as they say they are going to do and take care of all tax liabilities on time, with no concern of being wrong or late.

Cons

Their customer service is terrible. You typically get a representative that tells you the same thing that is in their knowledge base and then can't escalate you to talk to someone actually knowledgeable but can request a call back. The call backs don't happen and you receive an email, which typically doesn't answer your question because the initial representative didn't pass along the information correctly.

QuickBooks Payroll and ADP Workforce Now

Reasons for Choosing Gusto

Uzio failed to make tax payments on time, didn't setup our tax liabilities correctly with proof of correct paperwork, and have been an overall nightmare to work with.

UZIO

Reasons for Switching to Gusto

Reputation and ease of integration with other platforms.
Corey
  • Industry: Hospitality

Payroll done simple enough for ANY staff member.

Reviewed on 30/5/2022

Gusto is extremely helpful and efficient. My team enjoys the "social media" aspect of it, where new hires are introduced to the team before they even begin working. It goes a long way towards building a team. I would highly recommend Gusto to any small business trying to manage their staff. Onboarding is a breeze and gets the employees involved in their own financial matters. Even the least tech savvy person should be easily capable of following the necessary steps to be hired, paid, etc.

Pros

Employees are able to punch in and out using anything with an internet connection. Additionally, you can turn on Geolocation so that you can ensure the employee is actually on-site when they punch in & out. Best yet, they can actually leave notes in regards to what tasks were completed for the day. It's very helpful to have this built-in tracking feature for accountability with my very small staff.

Cons

Unfortunately, there is no effective scheduling tool (at least in my opinion), which forces me to go to another software provider for employee scheduling. Ideally, both scheduling and payroll could be done through the same web based software. This would also make it easier to compare scheduled vs. actually worked hours.

Homebase

Reasons for Switching to Gusto

Homebase's payroll tools were not as intuitive or user friendly. However, we do use them for the staff scheduling aspect of the business.

Payroll for the twenty first century

Reviewed on 12/2/2021

Overall, even though we were hesitant at first, we couldn’t be happier that we made the switch from our previous provider. We’ve gotten lots of very positive feedback from our employees on the system as well!

Pros

I love the clean, simple, modern, easy to use user interface and user experience - for both the admin and employees in Gusto. It feels robust and relevant, not clunky and convoluted like many other outdated, expensive systems.

Cons

I do wish there were some more integrations, and/or that the present integrations were slightly more robust.

Paychex Flex

Cost primarily

Reasons for Switching to Gusto

Customer support and ease of on boarding & overall very smooth user experience with modern interface
Coby
  • Industry: Facilities Services

Great payroll service for the little guy

Reviewed on 22/10/2020

Gusto is doing a better job than my previous payroll company for less money. They seem to really care about their customers and their experience.

Pros

The payroll features make doing payroll very easy. The employees can log their times and I can easily verify them and sync it with payroll. I feel like this company really cares about their customers much more than my previous "large payroll provider"

Cons

Site navigation can be a little bit difficult at times. I have to do some searching to find what I am looking for. Reporting is OK but could be better.

QuickBooks Payroll

Reasons for Choosing Gusto

Run was not user friendly and much too expensive. I felt like an unimportant customer to a large company.

RUN Powered by ADP

Reasons for Switching to Gusto

I had used QB in the past and it was ok, but Gusto seems to have more features for a better price and they seem to care more about my business than Intuit does. Intuit is very difficult to work with.
David
  • Industry: Oil & Energy

Customer service leaves you lacking

Reviewed on 20/5/2021

I would have gave them a 5 star rating a year ago, but their customer service as dropped to bottom tier in the past 12 months. The software is good but if you need help it is now next to impossible to get to help. I have discussed this with them on numerous occasions and it has only gotten worse. The problem is no matter how good the software is - if you need help with payroll, you need the help now. If you are skilled in all things payroll you should be ok.

Pros

It is easy to use and easy to implement. The self service reporting is OK and they are good at state filings.

Cons

If you have any sort of question or problem you will be waiting a good bit to find someone who can help you

Jack

Great service!

Reviewed on 15/8/2019

The overall experience with Gusto has been great! We shopped around last December and got it right with Gusto. It would be hard to believe anyone out there could be the value that Gusto has.

Pros

This was exactly what we needed for our small company that just needed basic payroll. There is more functionality should we ever need it but the basic set up is a great price and covers our payroll needs.

Cons

There really are no downsides. The service is great at reminding to submit payroll and giving exact numbers to expect before submitting.

Paychex Flex and RUN Powered by ADP

Reasons for Choosing Gusto

We switched due to the cost and issues we were having with customer service of the previous service.

Reasons for Switching to Gusto

The bare bones Gusto program gave great value for low cost. It is a plug and play system that requires little effort to run the payroll every other week.
  • Industry: Media Production

Simply the best

Reviewed on 10/9/2019

I've tried so many other payroll packages. Gusto is the quickest to setup and maintain.

Pros

Ease of use to run payroll for both Employees and Contractors. They also have an awesome employee feedback service, which allows me to get a pulse on how the company is running directly from the employees themselves.

Cons

It's a bit pricy but totally worth it if you want a simplified easy to use solution.

Square Payments

Reasons for Choosing Gusto

QBO payroll was not only expensive but hard to use.

Quickbooks Online

Reasons for Switching to Gusto

Square's Payroll interface is simple, but almost too simple, pulling reports was kind of a pain and difficult to integrate our accountant into.
Marvin

Switching from other major payroll service to Gusto

Reviewed on 28/10/2021

Overall, I am very pleased with Gusto and don't have any plans to switch to another payroll provider. On top of all the great features it has for weekly payroll, their PPP support has been great.

Pros

User interface, much more friendly and easy to use then major competitor I switched from. Employee onboarding is a breeze as well as all taxes being set up properly and taken care of.

Cons

Direct deposits being delayed for employees because other employees payroll wasn't skipped. Later found out that I needed to skip a persons payroll that wasn't getting a check in order to make sure the other employees get their direct deposit on time.

Xero

Reasons for Choosing Gusto

Tired of Quickbooks interface.

Quickbooks Online

Reasons for Switching to Gusto

Overall reviews of Gusto were high and their interface looked most attractive.
Alex

Gusto - Payroll Simplified For A Busy Small Business

Reviewed on 30/8/2019

Overall, Gusto is a great software. It has added some automation into our payroll and business. It gives me the peace of mind that my employees are being paid on time, and that taxes and insurance are being handled correctly.

The added PTO features, and the ability to add retirement, and healthcare in the same platform is amazing as well.

Pros

We chose to move to Gusto when we looked to simplify and streamline our payroll. As a small business owner juggling payroll and all the other tasks associated with running a business, PTO management, HR management etc., was becoming a big time sink and we did some research and came across Gusto.

Moving to Gusto simplified and automated many of those above tasks. It made it easier to track employee time off requests, made it dead simple and automated getting employees to fill out forms, and sign HR documents. And handling payroll, taxes, and such was so much easier after moving to Gusto.

Once payroll was set up and configured, it runs on Autopilot. This allows me to know that payroll is being done every 2 weeks and that I have nothing to worry about. We hire a new employee and the employee is automatically added to the system and I know that everything is done correctly, including the workmen's comp insurance, etc.

Overall, Gusto allows me to be more efficient with time and ensure everything is being taken care of.

Cons

The hardest part for us and the least liked feature in Gusto is trying to set up net-zero paychecks for me and my partner. There was no easy way to set up a paycheck to go completely to taxes. It required some calculations and messing with withholding amounts. Would be nice if there was an easier way to implement net-zero paychecks.

Tim
  • Industry: Wholesale

Good software not great.

Reviewed on 22/10/2021

Although some issues are frustrating the software works better than QuickBooks payroll. The cost also offsets some of the issues.

Pros

Most functions are easy to use. Some are more difficult and although they may offer some features, they can be difficult to find.

Cons

Customer support. I think when you pay for software you should have a phone number you can reach out to for technical support. I personally do not like paying for a service where I have to send a message and wait for a call back. This makes it more difficult when you are processing something time sensitive, such as payroll, and have to stop what you are doing only to hope you have time to go back to it when they finally call you. Employees have also complained about customer service regarding their accounts.

Patriot Payroll and Paychex Flex

Reasons for Choosing Gusto

Lack of customer support.

QuickBooks Desktop Pro

Cost
Jesse

Best option out there

Reviewed on 13/8/2020

Very positive.

Pros

We (BooksTime) are an accounting firm and work with many payroll solutions for many different businesses. Gusto is the most user-friendly of them all, by far. Plus, it has a modern, slick interface. And Gusto has a far better track record for consistent quality, compared to their biggest competitors.

Cons

More features would be nice. For example: ability to pay contractors in Puerto Rico, more employee dossier and evaluation features, etc.

Also would be nice if each client had a dedicated support person, instead of a different contact for each new question/problem.

Paige
  • Industry: Entertainment

Gusto for Business Payroll Fan

Reviewed on 21/10/2022

Overall having an extremely positive experience with the platform in my business!

Pros

I like the most how simplified it makes the payroll process for direct deposit and storing payment info to keep track of, as well as W2s for taxes!

Cons

There is a bit of a learning curve at first, but it's not too difficult!

Bill.com

Easier/more cost effective

Melio

Easier/more cost effective
Miriam

Want to hug Gusto

Reviewed on 28/7/2016

Pros

I am a bookkeeper, but I hate payroll. Hate it! It's confusing, and there are a lot of regulations, and a lot of paperwork. Gusto's online system makes it more clear than any other system I've seen, and in fact, sometimes I use it to clean up messes that other payroll services have made. I haven't seen any errors yet for my clients, and when I call about something, I've always gotten a good and useful answer. Also handy to include contractor payments for small consulting firms. Employees and contractors like the online access to pay stubs and so on.

Cons

Some things are a little inflexible, due to it being a piece of software rather than a service. So, for example, you can't tell it to add $100 to someone's paycheck once a month for a transportation allowance. Rather, you have to do $50 each paycheck. This works fine if you do payroll monthly or bi-monthly, but if you're on a 2-week system, you end up adding it manually each time. Anyway, just a few issues like that. I think their contractor system is limited and a bit expensive - I would love to add a way to be clearer about invoice numbers and other memo/description issues.