Visio

4.5 (3,142)
Write a Review!
Diagramming, process modeling & data visualization

(3,142)
4.4/5

Tharindu
Tharindu
  • Industry: Civil Engineering

There's not competition to Visio

Reviewed on 28/7/2021

I regret not having used this software before. Just like many, I thought this to be expensive. But an hour with the software proved how much time would've been saved had I chose this earlier. Visio offers one of the cleanest interfaces available, and it's a pleasure to work with this software. The rich template library will help anyone get a quick start in any project.

Pros

Visio provides us with an unbelievably smooth user experience when it comes preparing any kind of flow chart, mind map, hierarchy, process diagram, and anything else you could thing of! Also, you get to export your work in pretty much every usable format available. There's almost zero learning curve with this one if you're familiar with basic MS software packages. I can't ever see myself seeking an alternative to this.

Cons

There's nothing to dislike! Anyone who might think that this is expensive will find that this is worth it after the very first use.

Andrew
Andrew
  • Industry: Higher Education

Process Development Tool with layers

Reviewed on 29/7/2019

Visio has helped me take conversations and brainstorming sessions and demonstrate how they would actually work. So often there is a good intention on trying something new, but it is important to get everyone on the same page. This tool has helped do that.

I have also extensively used Visio as a training tool. I will link the diagrams to other portals and tools that we use, so that the workflow document is something of a link aggregator for all the steps involved. This has made the hand-off from training to implementation much easier.

Pros

I like that I can use Visio to easily demonstrate workflows and process improvement ideas. There is a range of understanding for software like Visio. I do not use it to automate at my place of work, but I use it extensively for visual learners when implementing or discussing new processes, procedures, and ideas. Often I have co-workers take these designs and display them for their team as a physical reminder, others are more intuitive and I work with them to develop interactive workflows (with links, actions, etc.)

Cons

There are some elements to how you design that are not intuitive. I usually spend about 15 minutes with users who download the software to demonstrate how they can make their flows and diagrams. The organization chart is particularly more cumbersome than advertised, but even so, I have users who use it for this purpose. Online resources are sparse as well, and I often am troubleshooting when trying new methods.

Lucidchart

Reasons for Choosing Visio

Functionality with other Office products. We utilize the Office Suite extensively and Visio is a better solution in that regard. It is also easier to train people on an office product, as they are more familiar with it.

Lucidchart

Reasons for Switching to Visio

Similar to the description above. We tested Lucidchart and even have people who still prefer to use it because they are comfortable. But ultimately we found more use-cases for the Visio product.
Robert

Vizio is great but can have issues with other Microsoft Products

Reviewed on 10/5/2024

Vizio does what we need it to do in creating diagrams, but the restrictions on workstation installations can be a nightmare. As a standalone product it is great.

Pros

Vizio is great for creating data flow diagrams that illustrate the flow of data from one device to another

Cons

Vizio does not play well with other Microsoft applications. If a user already has a Microsoft Office product installed, it is very difficult to install Vizio as well.

Mohammad

One The best Diagram Tools out there.

Reviewed on 23/12/2022

I have been using this software for more than 5 years and the best thing about it is part of the Microsoft family the workflow of the Microsoft product is almost similar and I am pretty much ok with that and it doesn't affect the work I do with good software for my company.

Pros

I Like Visio's adaptability! It differs from other software because of its capacity to efficiently organize, visualize, and layout complicated projects. With its many templates and shapes, I can enrich my presentation with specific drawings or papers while using underlying data points comparable to excel to properly map out our project goals - repeatedly demonstrating why this is such a crucial tool in today's business portfolio! By dividing difficult tasks into simpler ones and providing a range of comprehension levels for these graphics, this makes planning more approachable.

Cons

Since purchasing Visio, Microsoft has made some really annoying adjustments. Instead of being easily adjustable by default, features like automated snap-to-route and object are significantly slower and heavier than it ever was. Additionally, instead of obeying the rules you specify, the connectors try to guess what you want, which makes workflow far more laborious than it has to be.

Odunola
  • Industry: Program Development

Easy to use and easy navigation

Reviewed on 25/3/2024

Easy to use, gets the job done in limited time

Easy to use, gets the job done in limited time

Pros

Gets the job done easily with easy navigation

Cons

Don’t have complain about it it’s the best you can use

Ram
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

Visio has what I need

Reviewed on 4/5/2024

It was productive using this tool and improves my efficiency at work.

It was productive using this tool and improves my efficiency at work.

Pros

Visio gives me options and features to bring y imagination to life. It has plugins to import any artwork or icons. It makes drawing easy and efficient. I use it for all my diagrams, presentations an organization needs.

Cons

VIsio does not have as strong a community or network as some other authoring software which may make it more difficult to find help from resources when working with the program.

nitheen
  • Company size: 5,001–10,000 Employees

Great for designing the architecture and network diagrams

Reviewed on 31/5/2024

Pros

Visio is very good for designing the workflow and very useful to draw network diagrams and these can be used to explain the connectivity with upstream and downstream applications.

Cons

It would be great if user interface can be made better

• Industry: Banking
  • Company size: 5,001–10,000 Employees

Great option if you’re already in the Microsoft Suite of products

Reviewed on 2/6/2024

Pros

It is feature packed with pretty much all use cases you would need especially for software development life cycle

Cons

It’s an expensive product to use especially with much cheaper alternatives out there that might not do everything but is good enough for saving a lot

Packing Features of Newer Software

Reviewed on 19/5/2024

Great for tuning flowcharts that we have for legacy, but we don't use it for new models.

Pros

It's easy with the drag and drop features, and I'm used to it.

Cons

It lacks a lot of features and feels outdated compared to software like Miro or Figma.

diego
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

very usefull tool for mapping my data center

Reviewed on 30/4/2024

Pros

easy to use tool for mapping my data center, lot of brand available, very clean results

Cons

i use it just for mapping my data center, and it's too much expensive for this single purpose

Oğuz
  • Industry: Computer Games

Visio: A Comprehensive Diagramming Tool for Professional Use

Reviewed on 9/12/2022

Overall, Visio is an excellent diagramming tool for professional use. It is powerful, easy to use, and has a large library of templates and shapes that make creating diagrams and flowcharts easy and fast.

Pros

Visio is a comprehensive and powerful diagramming software that is suitable for professional use. It is a great tool for making complex diagrams and flowcharts quickly and effectively. It also has a large library of templates and shapes that make it easier to create visually appealing diagrams quickly and easily.

Cons

While Visio is a powerful and comprehensive tool, it can be expensive and difficult to get started with. It also requires a certain level of technical skill to use the more advanced features.

Jess
  • Industry: Oil & Energy

Scientist Viewpoint

Reviewed on 29/8/2019

Overall, I like this platform as sketch pad (my hand drawings are terrible and hard to read). It has made my cross-functional collaborations much easier since I have a good method transfer ideas that other engineering disciplines can also work in before migrating to high level systems (CREO, Mentor, etc).

Pros

As someone who works in multi-functional engineering teams I find this to be a great collaboration platform. I can take my sensor idea and do some basic "hand" sketch type drawings to really highlight my thoughts and needs to my mechanical engineering colleagues. On the electrical engineering side I can create functional block diagrams describing my needs for the signal pathways and data analysis workflows. I also use this for test apparatus diagrams and mock ups for software user interfaces.

Cons

If you have no drafting/drawing experience this program can take awhile to get truly comfortable with. I don't find all the menus to be as intuitive as I would like. However, I only notice this if I am away from the software for an extended time period.

Chris

The best flowcharting and diagram package out there

Reviewed on 2/3/2021

I design software interfaces and algorithms within the application and find it so easy to get my ideas down diagrammatically in order to turn them into real applications

Pros

Flexibility - easy to use for a multitude of tasks, from flowcharting to network design, swim lanes to manage teams, and so easy to view on mobile devices too with a plugin to view on the web, and an app to download both on Android and iOS!

Cons

Well, I would love Visio to be added to the Microsoft 365 system and be available as a editable app on iOS and Android, not just a read only application. For a new user it can be quite tricky to get started, but it is very simple to pick up

Thomas
  • Industry: Biotechnology

Visio User

Reviewed on 14/2/2023

Pros

Visio is used on a daily basis to create process flow charts and is easy to use, very intuitive, and requires very little training for our needs. Visio has worked quite well within our organization. We have a requirement that all SOP's and work instructions have a process flow map, and Visio solves our needs.

Cons

There are many more features than what are needed for our process

Adobe Creative Cloud

Reasons for Choosing Visio

Needed a more powerful flow chart editor.

Reasons for Switching to Visio

Many end users at our location are skilled in Microsoft Office, so there is a small learning curve while adding another Microsoft product.
Muhammad

Must Tool to Develop Comprehensive Flowchart

Reviewed on 7/9/2022

To prepare a practical, flexible, easy to make, easy to understand flowchart or organizational chart the ultimate choice, in most of cases, will be Microsoft Visio, an innovative way to visualize a business process.
Visio enables to learn about organizational setup, flow of documentation, and procedures alongwith cause and effect diagrams, the more important is that the diagram is self explanatory for presentation purpose.

Pros

Being member of rich and widely used family of Microsoft applications, it is effectively configured and integrated with excel, word, powerpoint, teams, sharepoint, onedrive, etc.
Microsoft Visio enables users to generate a basic to complex diagram or hierarchal modeling. Visio has all necessary features that are required for graphical presentation of a flowchart or organization chart. Apart from built-in features, there are many templates that can be easily modified according to your requirements.

Cons

Visio is not easy for new user particularly using at mobile, if a new user has to provide links by using arrow keys then he/ she will experience it as a tricky task, it not intuitive as well.
Visio does not generate link leading recipient of the link to view diagram at any browser. Visio does not allow arrangement of diagram elements automatically, cropping of image is not allowed, usually arrows do not connect properly. To group or ungroup is not easy task, sometimes auto arrange feature returns errors.

Timothy

Very capable diagramming tool

Reviewed on 1/3/2021

Overall a very feature rich diagramming tool.

Overall sharing / file management was NOT Good....

Overall a very feature rich diagramming tool.

Overall sharing / file management was NOT Good. which was the dealbreaker for me.

Pros

Overall Visio can do everything you need to in regards to diagramming. There are hundreds of shapes icons, tips, tricks etc... I spent 6+ months getting familiar with the program and once you have the hang of it you really can make amazing diagrams and visuals.

I really think you should be on the latest visio as there are older versions which default settings make all your diagrams look very old and outdated. But the newer version of Visio does have better visuals/colors etc which make your diagrams look more modern.

There are lots of keyboard shortcuts which are amazingly helpful, only downside is you have to learn them, which does take time.

Cons

I found Visio is clunky and hard to learn, and some of the features they tout like 'auto-align' I could never find useful. it always messed up the order / arrangement of the diagram.

Also the color themes and fonts tend to make the diagrams look a little outdated. Especially if you are on an older version of Visio. Anything earlier than 2019 I think has default settings which made my diagrams look like they were made in the 90s.

The other thing which was a PAIN is sharing diagrams, it makes it really difficult to keep a source of truth diagram and constantly be exporting it to PDF, always wondering who has the latest version etc... O365 should fix this, but I always found copies getting saved to my local and just exasperating the problem. More than once I had to make the same changes to a diagram cause I misplaced or lost an updated version. That is my biggest pain with visio, and is ultimately why I switched to Lucid Chart.

Mario
Mario
  • Industry: Computer Hardware

A Comprehensive Review of Microsoft Visio: Pros, Cons, and Use Cases

Reviewed on 22/12/2022

Improved communication: Visio can be used to create clear and visually appealing diagrams that help to convey complex ideas or processes more effectively. This can be especially useful in meetings or presentations, where visual aids can help to illustrate points more clearly.Increased efficiency: Visio's pre-designed templates and shapes can save time and effort when creating diagrams, and the software's formatting options allow users to customize their diagrams to fit their specific needs.Collaboration: Visio's sharing and collaboration features allow team members to work on diagrams together, even if they are not in the same location. This can help to streamline project workflows and ensure that everyone is on the same page.

Pros

One of the strengths of Visio is its wide range of pre-designed templates and shapes, which make it easy for users to create high-quality diagrams without having to start from scratch. The software also has a range of formatting options, including the ability to customize the appearance of shapes and add text, data, and images to diagrams.Visio also has a number of collaboration features, such as the ability to share diagrams with others and work on them together in real-time. This makes it a useful tool for teams that need to collaborate on projects or presentations.Overall, Visio is a powerful and user-friendly tool that is well-suited for creating professional-quality diagrams and graphics. It is especially useful for those working in fields such as business, engineering, and IT, but can be useful for anyone who needs to communicate complex information visually

Cons

it does have some limitations and potential drawbacks that users should be aware of:Cost: Visio is a paid software, and the cost can be a barrier for some individuals or small businesses. There are free alternatives available, such as Lucidchart and Diagrams.net, that may offer similar capabilities at a lower cost.Complexity: Visio has a large number of features and options, which can be overwhelming for some users. It may take some time to learn how to use all of the features and create high-quality diagrams.Compatibility: Visio is only available for Windows, so users on other platforms (such as Mac or Linux) may need to find alternative tools.Limited import and export options: Visio does not have as many import and export options as some other diagramming tools. This can be a limitation if you need to work with diagrams created in other software or share diagrams with people who use different tools.Lack of real-time collaboration: While Visio does allow users to share diagrams and work on them together, it does not offer real-time collaboration in the same way that some other tools do. This can make it more difficult to work on diagrams with team members in different locations.

muhammad majid
muhammad majid
  • Industry: Commercial Real Estate

Why Visio

Reviewed on 3/5/2023

Visio has several good features that make it a popular choice for creating diagrams and flowcharts:User-friendly interface: Visio's interface is intuitive and easy to use, with a wide range of templates and shapes to choose from.Customization options: Visio offers a high level of customization, with users able to create their own shapes, stencils, and templates.Integration with other tools: Visio can integrate with other Microsoft tools such as Excel, SharePoint, and PowerPoint, making it easy to import data and create presentations.Advanced features: Visio offers a range of advanced features such as data linking, shape data, and data graphics, which allow users to create highly detailed and customized diagrams.Collaboration: Visio allows users to collaborate on diagrams in real-time, making it easy to share diagrams with team members and get feedback.Automation: Visio also allows for automation, with users able to create diagrams automatically based on data from external sources like Excel spreadsheets.Overall, Visio is a powerful and flexible tool that offers a wide range of features and customization options for creating professional-looking diagrams and charts.

Pros

Microsoft Visio is a popular diagramming and flowcharting tool that has several benefits for businesses and organizations. Here are some of the key pros of why i am using Visio:Customizable templates: Visio offers a wide range of customizable templates for different types of diagrams and charts, such as organizational charts, network diagrams, and process flows.Collaboration: Visio allows teams to work together on diagrams and share them with others in real time. This makes it easier to get feedback, make changes, and keep everyone on the same page.Integration with other Microsoft tools: Visio can integrate with other Microsoft Office tools like Excel, PowerPoint, and Word, which makes it easy to import data and create presentations.Advanced features: Visio offers a wide range of advanced features, such as data linking, shape data, and data graphics, which allow users to create highly detailed and customized diagrams.Automation: Visio also allows for automation and can generate diagrams automatically based on data from external sources like Excel spreadsheets.Overall, Visio is a versatile and powerful tool that can help businesses and organizations create professional-looking diagrams and charts quickly and easily.

Cons

Some cons of Visio include its high cost, steep learning curve, and limited compatibility with non-Microsoft software.

Setareh
  • Industry: Higher Education
  • Company size: 1,001–5,000 Employees

Microsoft Visio is a powerful tool for sketching diagrams and flow charts

Reviewed on 29/4/2023

Overall, I am satisfied with Visio. It is in the right direction. Visio is a top-level tool for boosting productivity while documenting and visualizing data. Misrosoft Visio's visual design is a standout feature, and the software is user-friendly and easy to use.

Pros

I use Visio everyday at work. It made my life easier. I save a lot of time with Visio and I am more productive using this tool. I mainly use visio for data visualization, buidling diagrams, and flow charts. It is very easy to use; I simply and quickly use the drag and drop feature of Visio to create diagrams. I totally recommend it to professionals and researchers. The software is highly customizable; it allows users to customize diagrams down to the smallest detail, including shapes, colors, and patterns. Also, multiple users can collaborate on a single document in real-time.

Cons

I do not see any cons for Visio; however there are two things that can be improved in the software:Microsoft Visio have limited export options when compared to other diagramming software. You can not export the diagrams with any format you may want to. Another thing to mention is that Visio files can become quite large, particularly those containing a lot of detailed diagrams, which can make it difficult to share or save them.

Adam
Adam
  • Industry: Oil & Energy

Using Visio for diagrams and flow charts

Reviewed on 13/2/2023

Visio has been beneficial to my working life and has made creating diagrams and flowcharts easy. The desktop application is required for this as the web version is tricky to work with.

Pros

Easy to Use: Visio is designed to be user-friendly, with a intuitive interface and drag-and-drop functionality that makes it easy to create diagrams and flowcharts.Wide Range of Templates: Visio provides a variety of templates, including flowcharts, organizational charts, network diagrams, and more, which can help users create diagrams quickly and easily.Customization: Users can customize their diagrams and flowcharts by adding text, shapes, images, and other elements, as well as customizing colors, fonts, and more.Integration with Other Microsoft Tools: Visio integrates seamlessly with other Microsoft tools, such as Microsoft Office and Microsoft Project, which can improve efficiency and productivity.Real-Time Collaboration: Visio allows multiple users to work on the same diagram at the same time, which can be useful for team projects and collaboration.

Cons

Limited Export Options: Visio can only export diagrams and flowcharts to a limited number of file formats, which can be a drawback for users who need to share their diagrams with others who use different software.Complexity: For more complex diagrams, Visio can be challenging to use, especially for users who are unfamiliar with the software.

Gordon

One of the Best Diagramming and Flowchart Tools in the Market

Reviewed on 8/9/2023

Overall, I like the tool. I can't say anything bad about it. To me, it serves it's rightful purpose.

Pros

- I have used Visio for a while now. I use it when am doing SAP Blueprints for client implementation projects to make the flow chart diagrams of how each business process will be in SAP. After the blueprint documentation, while at the blueprint workshops, it is so easy to explain the blueprint when it has the flow chart diagrams that I have done with Visio. Visio basically makes my work so much easier.- It is also a pretty easy to use tool. I remember that I did not need that much training when I first started using Visio. I think just needed some few pretty short youtube videos to show me around and in no time, I was good to go. - I also think that Visio, being a Microsoft product it comes with alot of credibility and stability, so I have not had any major issue with the application. It just does the job and gives me what I need. - The other thing I like about Visio that I should probably mention is how seamlessly it works with Microsoft word. So some times am able to make edits to Visio diagrams straight from Microsoft word. I find that pretty convenient.

Cons

- Visio is not included int he standard Microsoft office suite/365. It has to be purchased separately - something that might not be affordable to many.- There is also a bit of a learning curve involved if you want to do some pretty advanced stuff with Visio.

Mandeep
Mandeep
  • Company size: 501–1,000 Employees

Microsoft Visio is the best software for your diagram design and documentation of organization...

Reviewed on 10/11/2018

I have been using this software as a part of my daily job requirements and I can say this is the best software one can get to work on various types of diagrams to suit to your business and organizational requirements.

Pros

Microsoft Visio is the best software for serving the purpose of diagrams designs. It's capabilities to provide the best diagram templates for data flow diagrams, floor plans, building plans are among the best features.
I have been using this software for preparing DFD's and flowcharts as part of my regular job requirements and I can say this is best software for such accomplishments since it offer varities of templates that I can just pick and go for doing my job with ease.
According to me what makes this software stand out is its ability to pick the data from the MS Excess and MS Access which makes it best piece of software for working on diagram requirements in an organization.

Cons

Though it is very easy to use for those who have a little bit of experience using the Visio, however if you are starting with the software the you may find it little bit difficult to understand and get going so I would recommend anyone who is planning to use the software to spend some time with the software and get used to it and then you will find it easier and very useful and effective to accomplish your requirements.

Thamara
Thamara
  • Industry: Telecommunications

Diagrams easily and effectively

Reviewed on 14/8/2018

Visio has allowed me to create the engineering practice layout. As well as, I have used it for the creation of maps, flow charts, free elements, among others

In my area of work it is very helpful because it is process oriented so it is always necessary to elaborate process diagrams

Pros

the simplicity and effectiveness of use, are characteristics that distinguish this powerful office tool.

Visio has themes that you can select for the realization of particular diagrams of both form and objects. This office tool can be included from the editable mode in other tools of the office itself.

Visio integrates all conventional office options into an ideal tool for diagramming. It has a simple menu like what we are used to with office, also of options that add value to the design.

You should not be afraid to insert images or elements because the tool easily allows it. I include a simple edition

Cons

When I try to insert the editable visio in power point, the visualization is difficult to handle elements from there.

From visio to include an image the size can get to be very small, it is necessary to be attentive to the size with which you are designing from visio.

If you want to open a visio file in tools in the cloud, it is not an easy task, since the particularity of this tool is directly with Microsoft Office.

Earl
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

Unlocking the Power of Visio: Exploring Features and Enhancing Workflows

Reviewed on 15/11/2023

My overall experience with Visio is like taking a journey through a visual wonderland. It's a tool that transforms the mundane into the extraordinary, whether I'm mapping out ideas, visualizing data, or streamlining workflows. The learning curve is a minor speed bump on the road to productivity paradise. It's like having a creative assistant that speaks the language of visuals fluently.

Pros

I'm a big fan of Visio's versatility. Whether it's turning complex data into compelling visuals, choreographing workflows, or creating mind maps that spark creativity, Visio is like a Swiss Army knife for productivity. The visual element adds a layer of clarity and creativity to tasks that might otherwise be a bit dull. It's like turning work into a visual masterpiece!

Cons

Sometimes, the learning curve with Visio can be a bit steep for newcomers. It's like trying to solve a puzzle without the picture on the box. But once you get the hang of it, the possibilities are endless. The initial struggle is a small price to pay for the versatility it offers.

Turan
  • Industry: Automotive

You can make sense of all data with MS Visio

Reviewed on 20/2/2023

Even though I didn't take any training, the first use was as easy as using any other MS product. You can provide fast adaptation. It has a practical and easy interface. You have helpful tools to create all the features that the user will need, as well as more. As an administrator, managing and setting up the whole process, including trial versions, turns into a simple organizational process. With just a few mouse clicks, everything is ready.

Pros

Have simple or complex data? Or there is information in parts of dozens of wholes. Can't the information you have make this data meaningful to you? In that case you should try MS Visio. Because the starting point of the program is to make a space with a lot of complex information more meaningful. Ready-made templates and diagrams provide an excellent experience when combined with MS experience. Of course, while doing these, you can access other product groups in MS and experience the ease and comfort of the MS user interface.

Cons

MS Visio acts as a whole as software. Therefore, you will not have any problems in use. Only the licensing costs are very significant. If you don't choose the right type of licensing, you may lose its benefits.