M-Files

• Industry: Computer Networking
  • Used for 2+ years

Great Product

Reviewed on 25/9/2018

Pros

I support M-Files for a customer and have found it to be very easy to work with (from an IT-perspective). My customer absolutely loves it. I have to admit, it's a slick product and the idea of having 1 place that indexes all of the content you can throw at it, whether you're in the office or mobile, is amazing.

Cons

Really no complaints. I have not had any issue nor has my customer, and they've used it for many years.

Response from M-Files

Thank you for sharing about your of M-Files! Please let us know if there is anything we can do to further improve you and your customer's experience with our product.

Best application ever!

Reviewed on 3/7/2018

Pros

The posibilite to integrate M-Files with the data of other applications running in the company. So we benefit from the data that we had validated over the years.

Cons

Some problems with the length of some of the names documents. there is problem with documents that have more than 250 characters

Traci
  • Industry: Management Consulting

Generally good but would like to see more functionality particularly with search and view

Reviewed on 1/5/2017

Single document repository, simplified document retrieval

Single document repository, simplified document retrieval

Pros

Having a single Repository for our documents and not having to save/search by location simplifies things

Cons

Adobe DC issues blank/corrupt and/or not saving (but not giving an error). When I add a property of AKA the AKA does not default off the Real Estate & When I then search by AKA the new docs not found (unless I have manually added AKA). Can't add doc to multi-file by file/save as. Can't file/save as/replace e.g. open PDF in Acrobat to edit it must save outside vault then Replace file with. Want more operators in search & view: like, is not =, or, wild card. Want to be able to create a new view directly from a search result. Want ability to split/save multi page PDFs. eg 10 invoices as single PDF we currently have to split/save outside vault first.Manually created permissions are complicated. Need to use windows command `open with for likes of Visio want it to be able to open app by default based on file type. Want more options for notifications. Error msgs do not define the issue clearly. eg `cannot call methods on mftextcontrol prior to initialization; attempted to call method `setToeditMode which we often receive when saving a new document

Hayati
  • Industry: Automotive

One of the best communication software for bussiness

Reviewed on 23/5/2019

Pros

Integration with outlook is fantastic. I can see who is online or not. It’s beneficial for resolving business issues and breaking the ice within international project teams.

Cons

It’s slow if it automatically launches during the start up.

Jordan
  • Industry: Facilities Services
  • Company size: 501–1,000 Employees

its okay..

Reviewed on 3/12/2018

overall it was not terrible, it could have been more up to date, but it is kinda easy to use as long as you have someone to teach you i doubt that you could figure it out on your own.

Pros

it`s a great way to keep things in the right place and send in things to your corporate office

Cons

it has a out dated look to it, so you have to really get to know the program to understand it completely.

Ömer
Ömer
  • Industry: Automotive

File storage in safe and quick

Reviewed on 30/9/2019

We are using this program in our company to share and store the files.

We are using this program in our company to share and store the files.

Pros

We can reach our business files from everywhere thanks to M-Files. Our files are in safe and we have no doubt that they will get lost. Also we can share files which have big size with our colleagues and suppliers easily.

Cons

You need to write many information to register a file. It takes so many time. Also you does not find files sometimes because you need to put keywords but you may forgotten.

Response from M-Files

Hello Omer, thank you for taking time to provide this valuable feedback. We take these reviews very seriously and I would like to speak with you regarding your experience. My contact information is provided, please contact me at your earliest convenience.

Hasan
Hasan
  • Company size: 5,001–10,000 Employees

Not very good memory software

Reviewed on 13/6/2019

Pros

It is very easy to send files to another users

Cons

User interface is vey bad. It is very difficult to find required files

Response from M-Files

Hello Hasan, thank you for letting us know that you find value with M-Files by easily sending and receiving files from other users. We would like an opportunity to discuss your experience with you around some of your other feedback provided. I have included my contact information, if you would like to speak with me personally. If so, please contact me at your earliest convenience.

• Industry: Automotive

easy storage and file sharing!

Reviewed on 30/5/2019

Pros

this software makes it very easy to share data

Cons

forms cannot be customized and for this reason you feel as if you are not so cared

Response from M-Files

Thank you for your very valuable review of M-Files.

• Company size: 1,001–5,000 Employees

I use M Files daily at work and it assists me very well

Reviewed on 9/7/2018

its very easy to use, you can attach the documents to emails quickly and its easy to find whatever you need.

Pros

I love how you can look up information using any key word you plan to find in a document. Whether a name or account number or anything of that nature. Everything uploads pretty quickly and you can click and slide what you need right into an email.

Cons

I honestly cant find anything I don't like about it. Its very helpful. Easy to use. It does literally everything I need it to do.

One of the best tools for document organization

Reviewed on 1/5/2019

Pros

Organizing the documents by tags and searching are made so easy with M Files. It is also possible to create documents with fixed templates via M Files, all connected to CRM softwares.

Cons

It can be difficult to learn in the beginning.

Response from M-Files

Thank you for the positive review of M-Files Intelligent Information Management and for sharing about your experience with Capterra visitors.

Please contact us should you have any questions or visit our Client Portal for the latest information on new features, guides and peer support.

Eudes
  • Industry: Information Services

An Impressive and Intuitive Document Management Solution - M-Files

Reviewed on 27/1/2023

Overall, M-Files is an effective document management solution that offers a variety of features and tools to help manage and store documents. It has a user-friendly interface and the search feature could be improved. It is a bit expensive for large organizations, but it is a great option for smaller organizations.

Pros

M-Files is a comprehensive document management solution that helps streamline our business processes. It offers a variety of features and tools to help us quickly and easily manage and store our documents. The user interface is intuitive and user-friendly, allowing us to quickly find and access the documents we need.

Cons

One downside of using M-Files is that it can be expensive for large organizations. Additionally, the search feature could use some improvement, as it can be difficult to find the exact document you are looking for.

Treve

M-Files saves time!

Reviewed on 18/4/2017

There is a strange current normal in global business that 99% of companies accept: Staff either can't find, or it takes a long time to find, the information they need to do their jobs quickly and efficiently.

M-Files provides anew normal: Staff can securely access the correct information instantly from anywhere!

This is a total paradigm shift for any company and the time and cost savings are incredible!

Pros

It's easy to use so staff acceptance is universal. It saves time by providing access to information that was previously unattainable. It reduces errors and saves money. M-Files can do anything for a company because of the way it uses metadata, workflow and objects. It is a Swiss army knife of software that relies on configuration not coding. It integrates with MS Office & Outlook and talks to other software to share information which reduces data entry. The mobile apps are amazing, you can take a photo of something on your phone, upload it straight to M-Files and have Workflow kick off immediately. M-Files is simple to use and powerful for organisations of any size.

Anthony
  • Industry: Computer Networking

Most easy to use EDMS which ticks ALL the boxes

Reviewed on 25/4/2017

Searching for documents or hand written notes. Documents prepared by others and missing emails sent by staff.
All a thing of the past.
Its all in M-Files, found in a third of a second, and available on tablet, phone and desktop.
We use nothing else for any document we prepare. Hand written notes from meetings are scanned in on the photocopier and sent straight to M-Files.
When you need them again, search on the company and, bang, fresh as a daisy.
My guys need standards documents in the field, lookup on the phone and they have it. No calls back to the office taking up the time of 2 or 3 staff members reading things out.
They can also edit and add photos as they go.
Could not recommend M-Files more highly.
Old file systems and window search is dead, bid them good bye and join us in the future.

Ease of Install
Availability of data and documents

Cons

Search for trailing substring characters.
ie if I'm looking for a serial number that ends or contains 1234 there isn't a search option.

Response from M-Files

Anthony, thanks for the positive feedback and we are so glad to hear that your company is enjoying efficiency gains in a number of areas using M-Files.

Not a User-Friendly

Reviewed on 3/11/2019

In my company, due to confidentiality of our data, we use this software as a file/document/data sharing platform. It's not a user friendly program, there is no drag and drop option (currently) and it almost impossible to work with this software in a way that we work with windows., I mean the folder structure seems similar but it's not. Also, sometimes it gives some warnings/notifications but at the end of the process! For example, some file types are not allowed to upload in the database. Thus, if you try to upload one of those type of file, you will get an error but after a long uploading process, not at the beginning of the uploading process!
In total, I do not like to use this software.

Pros

The only feature that I like about this software is that it's easy to access the database even from mobile phones.

Cons

The user interface is not user friendly and it's extremely slow even for basic operations.

Response from M-Files

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. Your feedback is very important to us and I would like to further discuss your experience. Can you please contact me at my contact information that has been provided below? Thank you and I look forward to speaking with you.

Karl

Full control of information

Reviewed on 6/4/2017

With M-Files we have full control of all sorts of information. Mails, invoices, drawings, memos, contracts and all other types of documents are available and easy to find for all relevant staff in the field as well as in the office. Tasks - once only as well as repeating tasks are documented and reminders sent to those in charge. Information is linked to customers, projects, people, equipment, tasks etc and you can sort and find it based on any of those metadata tags or even on full text search. A few seconds and you have found exactly what you need. No more paper, no more folders, never again.

Pros

Very user friendly, available on any platform, all your information is accessible anywhere anytime. Using workflows you can approve invoices etc. even when you are out of office.

Helga
  • Industry: Nonprofit Organisation Management

Great flexibility to streamline our processes and information management

Reviewed on 18/4/2017

We've recently implemented M-Files. It's very flexible and has made huge improvement to the way we manage our information and processes. It's easy to use but as with every new system it takes some a bit longer to get used to. The user guides are pretty minimal, especially from an administration perspective and there is not a dedicated support team that can help with queries. You are relying on the community of users (who are general very responsive and generous but may not necessarily respond to every query).
It is good value for money but for a small charity like ours it's a huge investment but I am glad that we made it.

Pros

Flexibility, the ability to customise it exactly to your organisation's need.

Cons

Support and documentation

Response from M-Files

Thank you for your input about Customer Support and documentation. We are focused on improving the administration portions of our User Guide. As always, if you run into specific errors or unusual behavior, Customer Support can assist you in your efforts. However, more complex scripts and general assistance or debugging are best handled by Consulting as they can assess your needs and requirements.

Rob
  • Industry: Paper & Forest Products

Crisp, clean, custom product design and easy to deploy into historical low tech savy organisati...

Reviewed on 1/9/2017

Improved visibility of process, central repository for document management and a true understanding of process challenges which were previously hidden by paper workloads.

Pros

Can be customized to suit any business requirements. Great use of the workflow functionality, historical tracking and document management. M-Files was easy to deploy into organization due to simple UI with a great look and feel.

Cons

The fact that it now makes me want to convert everything I do onto the M-files platform and the amount of additional projects which have stemmed out of the roll out of a single requirement. Opened a whole new look at our business document process management. Wish we had found this sooner.

• Industry: Airlines/Aviation

Daily User

Reviewed on 11/6/2019

Pros

I use M-files daily. I love the use of metadata to do intuitive searching.

Cons

I wish it had a few more features. Like the ability to require more than one person to review a document in a single stage of a workflow.

Response from M-Files

Hello, we appreciate you taking the time to complete this review. We are happy to hear that you are finding value in searching for your documents in M-Files. I would like an opportunity to discuss your experience a bit more with you. Please feel free to contact me at your earliest convenience.

Randy
  • Industry: Management Consulting

Support is always very frustrating!

Reviewed on 22/3/2018

I only call them a couple of times per year for support. But, every time I do I find tremendous resistance to help out. So, if you’re looking for excellent support, don’t buy M-Files!

Pros

The program works well and helps our office to stay organized. We can quickly and easily find documents.

Cons

But, support is always very frustrating, because they have a million rules of what they can or can’t do. The attitude is never – how can I help you?

Jenny
  • Industry: Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing
  • Company size: 501–1,000 Employees

At first I was impressed by M-Files, but disapponted after using it

Reviewed on 24/4/2018

Pros

Originally, it appeared to be very user friendly and I thought it would be a lot easier to use than our previous archive system.

Cons

The search function is horrible. Previously we used Alchemy, which seemed pretty basic so when M-Files was introduced, I was excited to get into the new program. That is until I tried finding documents. When I try to search for a quote number, I get hundreds of results. If I want to refine my search I have to click on a bunch of stuff and then I still have to fish through the results to find what I am looking for.

Di

Ajendico Pty Ltd

Reviewed on 19/4/2017

Took us a while to get the structure right and understand our choices but we had good training from our dealer. Once we got that right and locked out users so they could use the data but not update it and we controlled who could update and made sure they had appropriate training, it grew dramatically and is used heaps in our office

Pros

I like the fact that we know where everything is in our office

Cons

If you sold this to a site that is not disciplined at loading files, you could still get in a mess so it's the type of product that you need to play around with before going live to get the design right

Robert
  • Industry: Environmental Services

IT Supervisor

Reviewed on 18/4/2017

Management of Change - Where M-Files users respond to a topic and must be current.
AutoCAD files...

AutoCAD files dump into M-Files - Users can view documents about the factory.
Over all M-Files works well and a person is dumping AutoCAD files on a daily basis into M-Files. Dennis Street has helped with many questions. A good guy to deal with.

Pros

Reliable, easy to use, a good database program.

Cons

Nothing to mention

Neill

M-Files is a powerful document management system with a great user interface.

Reviewed on 28/4/2017

Huge time savings, improved project management.

Huge time savings, improved project management.

Pros

User interface - it's familiar yet flexible, and very powerful. It's obvious that a lot of time was spent developing it.
Connectivity - the ability to pull indexing data from other databases is an incredible time saver and keeps records accurate.
Power - the way metadata can be parsed, re-used, and filtered is a huge benefit for naming conventions and searching and sorting files.

Cons

It would be great if platforms other than WIndows were better supported (Mac, Linux). I would like to see dedicated clients and better Chrome plugin support for non-Windows systems.

aballa
  • Industry: Nonprofit Organisation Management

organise and store your files with M-files

Reviewed on 19/5/2023

using the application has helped to keep my documents securing with out worry of losing them

Pros

M-file has good user interface and easy to use, i like it because it allows to organize and keep my files very well in most secure order

Cons

Using the application needs internet connections and in areas with poor network it disturbs a lot to get your files hence making it not so reliable

• Industry: Automotive

A useful product for cloud file storage

Reviewed on 20/6/2019

As the norm is changing from physical to cloud storage for most companies, I am able to keep & tag my files accordingly when uploading; possibly preventing a mess in my hard drive.

Pros

It enables the user to create specific group where he/she can share any file instantly.

Cons

Its storage system is not based on folders but rather files only. This ends up taking too much time if you need to upload a huge set of files.

Response from M-Files

Thank you for your review. We are happy that you find value in sharing files with the use of M-Files. We would, however, like an opportunity to discuss your experience with you around some of your other experiences with M-Files. If you are open to a conversation, please contact me at your earliest convenience.