Nutshell

CRM and sales automation for small businesses

4.2 /5 (356 reviews) Write a Review!
3.8
Jordan R.
Industry: Textiles

A good CRM

Used Daily for Free Trial
Reviewed on 8/1/2021

Pros

I am part of a pilot project for Nutshell within our organization and i have found it to help with my organization and task management. From what i have seen, a simple, easy to use CRM.

One of my favorite parts of this system is how easily editable everything is. Seems simple, but being able to adjust notes and basic information on the home screen makes things very simple.

Cons

I have only been working with it for about a month, but from what i can see it is a bit cumbersome when trying to manage multiple sales cycles within the same customer. Either i haven't figured out the best way to use it, or some development on this is needed.

Eugene B.
Industry: Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing

Good starter CRM

Reviewed on 8/5/2017

Consolidated location for prospects and communication history.

Pros

We explored a number of CRM solutions and initially selected Insightly after trying to get Tiger CRM working. Insightly functionality was too limiting and consequently was not being used. Our second round of trials lead us to Nutshell, which we have been using for about two years.

We found Nutshell to be reasonably robust and easy to use. We have been using it for about two years now. We have about 30,000 contacts and 11,000 companies.

Cons

We are now running into some functional issues which we have to address with addons, including Mailjet for email campaigns and Zapier for data transfer. The lack of a quoting interface, manual address entry into Quickbooks, lack of phone integration, and incomplete email integration. With the exception of QB integration, the other functions can be addressed with more addons. By the time we get done adding on the functional holes, the price becomes quite high.

The reliance on addons also means that the system becomes unwieldy; a different system, management interface, and subscription for each function.

At this time, I don't think there is a good solution for QB integration at all. This may not be significant since QB for Manufacturing is below our needs anyway. Our next step may be to use PostBooks, Xtuple, or some other MRP system that includes CRM. But, those also carry their own management burdens and costs.

Nutshell does have a reasonable email interface to send correspondence through our IMAP server, but the markup tags are cumbersome, are error prone, has no CC or BCC field, and the reply emails don't populate under the Nutshell customer(s). Consequently, only half of the conversation is visible. Of all of the above, this is the most significant limitation at this point.

Vince H.

Over all it has been great to use, have had some issues with freezing when switching from Dashboard

Reviewed on 8/5/2017

Pros

Easy to set appointments and track who I have talked with and what we talked about and set follow up calls/appointments. The reports are a good tool for staying on track with my efforts/results. I've only had one experience with customer support but when I did they responded very quickly and had me back working in a very reasonable amount of time.

Cons

For what I use the software for there really are not any cons. I am an end user so I primarily use it for setting/following up/tracking my daily calls and contacts. I guess on the computer side the only negative I would say is the search engine is very fickle, sometimes you can put in specific words and you get some crazy thing that has nothing to do with the company or person your looking for and then you can misspell what your looking for and get exactly what you want.

I will say that the app for my HTC phone is somewhat lacking. I can set appointments just fine and log calls/emails but the searching for a certain person or company is very very limited

Response from Nutshell

Hi Vince,

We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback. The search function is on our list to investigate and we are definitely working on the mobile app.

Thanks for being a part of the Nutshell community.

Rob H.

Generally good, but with some really messy issues

Reviewed on 7/5/2017

Pros

We love process management with Nutshell. It helps with our initial sales/setup process, and is very customizable. Nutshell is also fairly logical in its approach to content and is visually appealing.

Cons

We find it is a little too oriented towards "pure" sales teams (we have mixed teams with product, customer service, sales, etc all done by the same groups of people).

Mostly, though, we find there are really small but highly irritating bugs or issues. For example, If I start typing a reply to a message that shows up in Nutshell and then click to show more details on the original message, my reply disappears.

Another example is that we also see some messiness in how to-dos are handled they show up in my list to-do list even though the step isn't active, or they persist after the lead is closed. Email notifications are spotty or not ideally timed. I provided feedback on this some time ago, but I don't think correcting that is particularly high on the improvements list.

A third example is that we work with a number of businesses that have different regional units Nutshell has no support for this, so it is hard to keep our companies list clean. We have lots of duplicate companies.

Tyler B.
Industry: Internet

Great software! New dashboard layout a few months ago has led to some issues

Reviewed on 8/5/2017

Pros

Cost, Flexibility, API, Reports. Customer service has been responsive, but most of the time its "wait and try again in a while"

Cons

we use the dashboard heavily as a team, and the new homescreen layout has made things a little more difficult. We still have issues where items will not "check off" from time to time, or duplicate to-dos from the same process appear. This has decreased since the new layout launched, and I was in contact daily with a customer service rep at that point.

The biggest ongoing issue is that the "to-do" items for leads are now harder to get to. You have to select to-do specifically because it defaults to Activities, and then for it to be useful for us, we need to select "only steps with due times" to avoid having cancelled leads etc. show up. I also re-arrange the panes every morning so that the to-do is the majority of the screen. I'd prefer being able to select a permanent layout instead of re-doing it every day.

James M.

I'd like my Nutshell on a silver platter.

Reviewed on 8/7/2016

Have been using Nutshell over the past 2 years and looking forward to many more. Have been through some growing pains with updates, but the bugs eventually get fixed. The Support team is awesome and are always helpful and very responsive. Nutshell has taken place of my company communication which has replaced email and texting.

Pros

Love the integration with 3rd party programs like mail chimp and any other automation systems.

Cons

iOS app needs some more tweaking with being able to have the little blue bubble on activities when viewing activities from the activity menu or when viewing activities on the account info page. You only get the blue bubble if you go to the customer timeline and find the activity, or from the notifications menu. The blue bubble for conversations on activities should be available everywhere you can access an activity.

Industry: Construction

Great, user-friendly CRM tool for small businesses

Used Weekly for Free Trial
Reviewed on 11/4/2019

Overall Nutshell has really helped us with our initial sales/setup processes and is very user-friendly while still being customizable. The customer service support is top notch and it has helped us have a smaller learning curve implementing software into the company.

Pros

Nutshell is super user-friendly and easy to use. The interface is well designed and not cluttered with a bunch of different icons/links. It's cloud based and can be used anywhere on various devices (computers, tablets, phones, etc). It can sync with Gmail, Outlook, etc. Set up was done very quickly and mostly in one day. It also integrates with our email marketing software, MailChimp.

There are a ton of features like contact management, task management, forecasting/reporting modules, etc. We have just begun to scratch the surface of this software!

Customer support is great and I appreciate that you can contact them via phone, email and chat whereas some companies limit you to only 1 or 2 of those options.

It's also great because you can do a month to month payment plan and you don't have to sign any contracts. This is perfect for small businesses just starting out that don't want to commit to new software.

Cons

One thing that annoys me is having to set a time for a phone call as my days aren't that predictable. When I don't make the call by that time, it will go into unlogged activities which can feel stressful/hectic.

A couple times I have dealt with freezing inside the program but this isn't frequent.

Also, it's easy to get caught up in keeping yourself organized and spending too much time. But I have found that to be the case with other CRM softwares.

Bobby G.
Industry: Consumer Services

Nutshell helps me get more work done is less time. I wish the mobile apps were more functional.

Reviewed on 9/5/2017

Nutshell helps me get more done in less time, plain and simple. Our business is centered around new sales and taking care of those clients we already have. Nutshell helps simplify our communication while also assisting us in making that communication more timely.

Pros

The ability to automate tasks is pretty spectacular. I also very much appreciate the ability to make a call directly from the mobile app, log it, and make a note about what was discussed.

Cons

Besides the ability to make phone calls and log them directly from the mobile app, I am very unhappy with it. I spend about half my time on the app and half my time on the website, and the ability to log tasks generated in my leads really needs to be in the mobile app for Nutshell to make a significant difference for me. I would also like the ability to tag people in task notes in addition to the current ability to tag people in general notes.

Response from Nutshell

Hi Bobby,

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback. We are doing a large development effort on the mobile app and hope that it meets your needs in the next couple of months. Happy to hear Nutshell makes you get more done in less time, that's our goal!

Katie W.
Industry: Construction

Good product for small businesses

Reviewed on 23/6/2020

Easy to set up, great monitoring tool, second party Zapier makes automations feasible and employees able to grasp concepts quickly.

Pros

I like the automation, filtering functionality and ease of getting in touch with customer service. Their chat function is great for answering questions.

Cons

The issue I have most about this software is the email filtering when it comes to leads. I could have multiple projects with the same client, but all of his/her emails show up under the lead. I wish these emails filtered out depending on the conversation.

Likelihood to recommend: 6.0/10

Thomas B.
Industry: Food & Beverages

Overall it's positive. I know I can expect it to be working day to day.

Reviewed on 8/5/2017

Multi-user contact sharing with phone app and SSB desktop app. Helps us track current customers and work with them more effectively.

Pros

How flexible it is for when we decide to track new customer information. The tag system and how people are connected to companies is rather nice.

Cons

How difficult it is to search for a customer or person by their phone number. Right now I have to create a temporary filter and enter the entire phone number in it to see if there's an entry and then have to do it again for people if the number wasn't recognized as a company.

The feature I want most is to be able to type in the last 4 digits of a phone number and see every person and company attached to that number.

No proper iPad app. No offline desktop apps. There was a feature I was missing on the iPhone app but can't remember what it is.

Kevin E.
Industry: Marketing & Advertising

I've loved Nutshell so much that I now use it for 2 of my companies & recommend to our customers.

Reviewed on 7/5/2017

Internet marketing can be a long sales process. We went from closing in 120-150 days to around 21 days. Our revenues have almost doubled since implementing Nutshell 2 years ago.

Pros

Ease of use. Very straight forward. We don't need to send our salespeople to "Nutshell Camp" to learn how to use the product. Integrations are easy enough. The only thing I'd love to see is Gravity Forms (WordPress) integration. We could easily onboard more of our customers if that integration were available.

Cons

I would love to be able to share my email templates with the rest of the team. That way I could have my own, but also push new successful templates out to everyone else.

Response from Nutshell

Kevin,

I'm so glad that Nutshell has helped you and your team. We are working on expanding, as well as improving our existing, integrations so please keep an eye out for those changes!

Best,

Asya

Jake H.

Been working with you guys for a while now and like that you are continually making improvements.

Reviewed on 15/5/2017

Pros

We track every single one of our customers and potential customers in this system. It is the hub of our business

Cons

I dont like that the relationship between the "Lead" and the "Business" is the way it is... I dont like that you have to make a Lead and a Business at the same time. It always seemed to me that a lead should be a lead until it turns into a customer (Business). It would make our lives easier if thats the way it was.

Response from Nutshell

Hi Jake,

We appreciate your feedback. Thanks for sharing your feedback about the Lead and Company relationship. We are investigating this function and will let you know if we make any changes. Thanks for being part of the Nutshell family.

Krzysztof K.

Mostly you have everything I need, but leads view can be more friendly, like in pipedrive, drag&dr

Reviewed on 9/5/2017

Pros

It's easier than our previous CRM.

Cons

Your search engine sucks: when I'm searching a lead by typing its name, I can't find it. It's very annoying. I'm looking for different, more friendly stuff. Also, you are in different time zone, when I need help, when servers are down I have to wait hours for an answer, because you are probably sleeping when I'm working.

Response from Nutshell

Hi Krzysztof,

Thanks for your feedback. We are working on ways to expand our CX to be more accessible in different time zones. Search is also at the top of our list to enhance. We appreciate you being a part of the Nutshell community.

Jeff H.
Industry: Environmental Services

Nutshell consolidated our client services activities into an easy to follow system.

Reviewed on 8/5/2017

Organized and consolidated our client relations activities; Organized and consolidated our client contact information; Provided sales information to multiple groups within the company without having to produce multiple reports.

Pros

The software is easy to update so our entire company can stay up to date on proposal stage activities for any of our teams.

Cons

The software pulls unrelated information into a lead. Example: If I have a general email related to ACME Corp., as soon as I create a new lead with ACME Corp. that unrelated email shows up in the feed for the new lead.

Danielle F.
Industry: Marketing & Advertising

great tool, good features--some simple things that are a BIG problem.

organizing prospects

Pros

easy to use and great for a small business
searching is easy
tagging is great
filtering function is helpful

Cons

bugs/functions that are CRM basics that are not included:
no vcard sharing
if a contact has been with multiple companies, no way to make the past company "previous"
mobile app is buggy--if you search for a contact it flickers and often just closes
the lead products don't move into Pandadocs (API)
too few reports

Response from Nutshell

Hey Danielle,

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us. I have noted your bugs and will bring them up with your dev team.
We appreciate you being a part of the Nutshell community.

Cynthia M.
Company size: 10,000+ Employees

Nutshell CRM

Reviewed on 11/7/2017
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Nutshell CRM has all the tools to make a business more successful. It gives sales reps the opportunity to stay well organized and maintain accurate records on each customer. A great system software every company should use.

Pros

What we like most of using Nutshell is how easy it is to use, it keeps accurate reports and helps us keep track of our overall numbers and helps us keep accurate records of our customers.

Clint A.
Industry: Oil & Energy

Overall Nutshell is a Great Small Business CRM

Reviewed on 4/3/2015
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

Nutshell provides you with a fairly simple interface that even the most computer illiterate person can figure out. If you need to track leads, keep a steady contact list, or even pull a graph of your highest selling product, Nutshell truly has it all for the small business. Paying a low price is always a positive as well!

Cons

Once you start to grow your business (medium level) you most likely will begin to outgrow Nutshell. The ease of use counteracts with the customization allowed, meaning you have to find creative avenues to display the information you need where you need it. It also is fairly hard to add new products/manage them. It is not a recommended CRM if you have hundreds of different products. It would be really nice if they set up an auto-email function triggered by stages/dates.

Peter K.
Industry: Health, Wellness & Fitness

Nutshell is use daily by our sales and operations team. I simply cannot do without it!

Reviewed on 15/9/2017

Pros

It assists me in prioritizing our prospects on a monthly basis and keeps us all in the loop as to who is communicating with who. It creates complete transparency in our sales environment.

Cons

Having to login every time I open the app on my mac and that fact that the iPhone app version has too many bugs.

Melanie T.
Industry: Marketing & Advertising

I originally set up and customized Nutshell for our agency. It really lived up to my expectations!

Reviewed on 7/5/2017

Nutshell is our agency's CRM system.

Pros

I love its intuitive design and user interface. The bcc functionality to Nutshell records is one of my favorite features.

Cons

Sometimes it flags duplicates that seem completely unrelated. Other than that, it works really well for what I need it to do.

Industry: Wholesale

Nutshell makes it super easy to keep track of all my Calls, Emails and notes.

Reviewed on 12/12/2017

It just really makes keeping track of all your important calls, emails and notes. As well as any pending activities.

Pros

Super easy to use and understand all the functions. From reminders to notes and all this program makes work life super easy and efficient.

Cons

The only issue I have with Nutshell is when you enter a name and the tag "duplicate" pops up. And 99.9 % of the time the name is no where near the same name as the one you entered.

Corey S.

Nutshell has allowed me to stay focused and on task and helps me to understand my results better.

Reviewed on 8/5/2017

Pros

I like Nutshell's highly customizable sales process the best. I really like how data can be copied and pasted in the different info fields.

Cons

A Global search, (like in MS Outlook), is needed.
The Nutshell iPhone app needs work, very difficult to log while mobile.
The create a new person/company, etc. screen needs a note field where data can be pasted for future use and to create the new item in the 1st place.

Ahmed K.

So easy to tag search and navigate.

Reviewed on 8/5/2017

Pros

Tagging searches price. Reporting and more

Cons

No click to dial in people listing view. Also no way to score leads sort on email read. Need to read in website log data.

Response from Nutshell

Ahmed,

Thank you for your feedback! I'm glad to hear that you enjoy our reporting features among others - and tomorrow (May 11, 2017) you will see even better reports as we roll out an update!

I want to inform you that there is, in fact, Click-to-Call functionality on the People page in Nutshell, provided that you are using Pro or Por+ and that person has a phone number attached to their record. Please reach out to support if you are having trouble and we'd be happy to help.

Best,

Asya

Ana R.
Industry: Medical Devices

Easy to use for our purposes

Reviewed on 7/5/2017

Being able to keep track of our activites and customer contact. We could not operate without it.

Pros

Easily track progress with customers and be able to manipulate information to assist with our strategies

Zivkovic B.
Industry: Mechanical or Industrial Engineering

Good software. I can recomend it.

More functional business.

Pros

We can control our business process. It is reliable software. It consists necessary information we need regularly in our business process, and have good search options.

Cons

I believe it could be more intuitive. If someone is first time (new) user of that software he will need some time to adopt options and adjust.

Stephen S.
Industry: Internet

On par with the rest

CRM...

Pros

Interface is fairly clean. Price is reasonable. Kind staff. Good Midwestern folk are a nice break from Silicon Valley types. Attempt to be progressive is appreciated.

Cons

Missing obvious reports like a weighted pipeline. Customization with reports is limited.
Integration with Google and Mailchimp in particular feels lighter than what would be ideal. Built-in mail campaigns lack quality formatting options and attachments. Support is very slow to respond. I've watched the service get worse over time.

Response from Nutshell

Hi Stephen,

We appreciate you taking the time to provide us feedback. We are working on the items you mention below. I am responsible for integrations and will tackle getting more Mailchimp functionality embedded into Nutshell. Attachments are on the way and we will continue to work on making Nutshell more robust. Thank you for being part of the Nutshell community.

Likelihood to recommend: 5.0/10