Datadog

Write a Review!
Cloud-Scale Monitoring Platform For Dev, Sec, and Ops teams.

4.1/5
4.5/5
4.2/5
4.2/5

Kyle
Kyle

DataDog is great!

Reviewed on 16/12/2022

Pros

We now have billions of logs hitting Data Dog every month. It's a great tool for monitoring and debugging what is going on in the platform. We have alserts setup based on the logging so we are instantly notified of any issues.

Cons

Some of the JSON parsing on nested logs come out a little wonky. We overcame this by adding specific logs from our applications that we can search on.

Matthew
  • Industry: Consumer Services

DataDog is key component of our engineering stack!

Reviewed on 16/12/2022

Initially we had purchased DataDog to get some basic observability and to lift our logs into a central location. Quickly we began leveraging there additional features to gain deeper insights, better monitoring, and to speed up troubleshooting. DataDog is now a cornerstone of our software stack and everyone from engineers up and into DevOps/SREs use this on a day-to-day basis.

Pros

The software can scale with the business needs. You can start with basic features or leverage many as you like (for $$) to gain deeper insights. Engineers once onboarded use it heavily to spot issues or troubleshoot more obscure bugs both in production and development.

Cons

You often need to review usage and costs. Misconfigurations, migration projects (where legacy + new infrastructures are required), integrations which may cause double reporting need to be observed to prevent run-away spend.

Reasons for Switching to Datadog

We chose DataDog due to extensive feature set and existing product knowledge within the engineering team.
Aron
  • Industry: Philanthropy
  • Used Monthly for Free Trial

Endless Sales calls

Reviewed on 2/2/2024

Pros

Nothing. I haven't and won't use them because their Sales team is so hyper aggressive.

Cons

DataDog got my cell phone number and that's when it all went down hill. For months they've called me — sometimes extremely early in the morning at time zone inappropriate times — to attempt to get our business.

Just this morning, they called starting at 8am not once, not twice, but three times in a row each from different numbers. I've asked them to stop. I've begged them to stop. I've spoken with managers. I did so again this morning! But I've lost hope that I'll ever land on a do not call list because I'm convinced they don't have one.

The product, frankly, looks good. It's something I'd considered using. But their Sales team is so ridiculously aggressive — who calls someone three or four times in a row from different numbers every five minutes at 8am? — that I will never, ever use them as a vendor. And if you value your sanity, never express even the most vague amount of interest to these folks because apparently they will never stop relentlessly calling you. To say that their Sales team has left a bad taste in my mouth is an understatement.

Aiovino
  • Industry: Utilities

Determined Solution for Data Enhancement

Reviewed on 20/3/2024

The analytical options from Datadog gives a reliable performance and analytical option.

Pros

The platform helps in managing data, and this increases on performance.

Cons

There is no discouragement from the platform.

Laura

Powerful and flexible

Reviewed on 22/2/2023

We can connect traces, logs and events on our infrastructure. We can follow every HTTP request that arrives at our API to the individual services. If errors or other events occure we can see them, as they are connected with each request / trace. This helped us a lot in finding bottlenecks in our microservice architecture

Pros

I really like that datadog offers a free tier to get startet with it. It helped building a net of monitoring around our servers and services. We have implemented a wide collection of (they call it synthetic tests) that we use as an continuous integration test suite. We even can monitor the performance of different application versions.

Cons

Even if their locally installed agent on our servers is very flexible and can collect so many information, the configuration via YAML files is difficult to start with. The learning curve here is pretty steep in the beginning.

Reasons for Switching to Datadog

The possibilities to make evaluations were much better back then
Chris

Datadog is great but expensive

Reviewed on 16/12/2022

Please reduce the price gap between committed vs on-demand usage, or come up with some other ways to address it. Our on-demand cost varies so much and I get asked by finance way too often.

Pros

-Best user experience-Unified view of all metrics. It is a lifesaver when troubleshooting performance issues-A broad range of product offerings

Cons

-Expensive!-The pricing model isn't as flexible as it should be. You can only adjust your yearly contract 3 times per year.-Expect to spend more time managing costs than you would like.

Reasons for Choosing Datadog

The old New Relic was very slow, and the user experience was horrible. I heard that New Relic one is better.

Reasons for Switching to Datadog

I used Datadog at a couple of companies in the past, and I always had a great experience with it.
Paulo
  • Industry: Computer & Network Security

Among the top 3 server and application monitoring solutions

Reviewed on 2/2/2023

It provides good and detailed info both on server monitoring metrics as well as on the application monitoring options.The experience with Datadog is excellent and, if you choose it, you are not losing anything in regard to the alternatives (the only exception is if you have the expertise to deploy open source solutions yourself).

Pros

Generous free plan with detailed information both on server and application monitoring.

Cons

Nothing unusual. Being a paid platform, it naturally set limits on its free plan (fair) but, for this reason, you may prefer the responsibility to deploy an open source alternative (to remove those limits) instead of upgrade to a paid plan.

Reasons for Switching to Datadog

When using Datadog, I chose it instead of New Relic because of its more generous free plan. But since then, the competition between them seems to have intensified, and currently the free plans of both platforms are very similar.
Jeff
  • Company size: 5,001–10,000 Employees

Datadog is awesome!

Reviewed on 14/12/2022

Been great. I wish we could onboard across all Yahoo, but the cost is too high for all engineering to benefit.

Pros

Datadog is intuitive, easy to configure, and easy to use.

Cons

The cost for Datadog is too expensive.

Reasons for Choosing Datadog

Couldn't handle scale or cloud applications.

Reasons for Switching to Datadog

We needed something immediately to get off our homegrown solution. We are still doing pocs with other vendors (Splunk, dynatrace) due to cost.
ryan

DataDog, good for modern apps

Reviewed on 19/12/2022

Pros

It is easy to provision and integrates into modern applications

Cons

For basic monitoring of our legacy solutions, the software is to expensive

LogicMonitor

Reasons for Choosing Datadog

Looking for a way to monitor our modern software stack.

Reasons for Switching to Datadog

Initial pricing, and google integration.
Gaspar
  • Industry: Media Production

Excellent product

We're monitoring our complete stack, migrating from Heroku to AWS

We're monitoring our complete stack, migrating from Heroku to AWS

Pros

Ease of use and integrations. Log management is outstanding, as well as Kubernetes integration

Cons

Lack of a simple Prometheus integration. Agent configuration docs (for specifics) is sometimes hard to find

Grafana

Pricing and capabilities

Reasons for Switching to Datadog

Easy to integrate with, without too much configuration
William

Dog eat Dog world

Reviewed on 14/12/2022

DataDog has allowed me to bring Fortune 500 company insights and application monitoring to a early stage startup!

Pros

DataDog is able to ingest and make sense of a complicated cloud application without the developer having to understand the infrastructure or program specifically for it.

Cons

That if I could afford it I would turn on all the features 24/7 and use them all.

Mark

Observability super powers

Reviewed on 14/12/2022

Pros

Being able to funnel AWS CloudWatch logs into Datadog made speed of deployment of Datadog incredibly fast - days instead of weeks.The log searching and faceting are extremely powerful. It's responsive, everything loads fast, and I can find single log lines in seconds.

Cons

Being able to create facets on historical data would be great.When digging into log lines, being able to navigate back to previous lines that we read through would be great too. Sometimes we're clicking around so fast that a log line is long gone. I end up copying the URL and pasting it into a doc so I can refer back to it.

Splunk Enterprise and Papertrail

Reasons for Choosing Datadog

We needed to be able to quickly search and facet logs, and view live logs, and have something that didn't require much more structure than logging out some JSON.
Shervin

Powerfull Tool.

Reviewed on 14/12/2022

Very powerful and useful monitoring tool but so complicated to deploy at the first.

Pros

Diligence, details and deep of monitoring all detail.

Cons

capturing every single details, validity of details and more importantly capability to monitor everything!!!

PRTG

PRTG
Richard

Well worth the investment

Reviewed on 14/12/2022

Overall, it has been a very pleasant experience in comparison to New Relic, Logic Monitor and AppD.

Pros

It is simple to setup and maintain. Plus the UI is really easy to understand.

Cons

Polling period of the alerts are not short enough. The lowest is every 5 minutes but if a site is down, 5 minutes is too long to wait to see if it is down.

AppOptics

Price and ease of use

Must have for your application monitoring and infrastructure management

Reviewed on 4/5/2022

Overall we are using datadog for application performance monitoring on daily basis an it has really helped us resolve application incidents.

Pros

Application performance monitoring, server and database monitoring, dashboards & reporting, proactive incident management

Cons

Sythentic queries are difficult to grasp. Need support for more geographies for application performance Monitoring

AppDynamics
  • Industry: Computer & Network Security

Great service for monitoring

Reviewed on 30/1/2018

Pros

Datadog provides a way of having a lot of information about your systems, clusters and infrastructure in only one site, being able to analyze valuable data for your company. It is possible to create alarms and notifications when overpassing some threshold or value, for example, when a service is down in your systems of when the CPU gets a high percentage of usage.

It integrates pretty well with tons of services and systems, such as Amazon Web Services, Apache, Nginx, several databases, and a long etcetera. Also, it is possible to send notifications to apps like Slack or Hipchat.

Cons

Datadog is not very easy to use at the beginning and it needs a little bit of investigation but it is worth to learn it.

Mohammad Rabiul

Datadog Review

Reviewed on 22/10/2022

Making the decision to utilize Datadog really facilitated my job. One of the finest tools that I can use to keep an eye on the performance and health of my projects is the study of the logs. This gadget works nicely and is quite practical. Real-time logging is effective. Definitely essential.

Pros

From my opinion, with the most excellent features that Datadog has as user can track and take after logs in real time, something truly imperative to have within the case of extend is live. I usually like the idea of creating custom sees of sets of logs (with custom channels, information parsing and a parcel more) which user will share them together with the user group.

Cons

Setting it up for the first time, seems like is a little challenging which is not at all simple to use or understand all the capabilities that Datadog provides at first. Interface is challenging and occasionally a roadblock. Then, filters are not very helpful if user fields are not properly mapped.

• Industry: Human Resources

Monitoring for senior developers / platform people

Reviewed on 28/7/2021

We use it as a primary monitoring system. I'm a senior developer in charge of my team and I use it a lot. Dashboards are used daily in order to monitor what's happening, usually when deploying new features or changing some endpoints. We can trace the improvements we do by measuring response time, amount of errors, etc.

I, as team lead, also use notebooks a lot to elaborate the QBR (quality business review) each quarter. I can create custom reports easily using the custom metrics we have configured across all the microservices.

In comparison with New Relic, from my personal experience, Datadog is much better.

Pros

Dashboards. Custom metrics. Ruby integration. Notebooks. Monitors & alerts.

Cons

It takes time to understand each part and understand how to use it. It's a complex thing and if you're not familiar with monitoring systems it could be difficult to figure it out how you can find what you need.

Monitor full stack app performance with Datadog

Reviewed on 11/5/2019

Pros

For our AWS deployment, we use Datadog for application performance and server monitoring as well as synthetic HTTP tests . DataDog enables real-time information and measuring engineering-specific metrics and allows you to control how you trace and diagnose data. If you are looking to track the time it takes for a web hook to fire after an asynchronous request has been made, you can store the time the request has been sent in your database and when the webhook fires for that request, measure the delta and send it to DataDog. DataDog integrates with Slack, which allows for alerts on average and max thresholds.

Cons

Datadog has a mature product but features are limited, the tool feels dated and the UI is very plain.

Žymantas
  • Industry: Media Production

Platform observation tool

We are happy to use

We are happy to use

Pros

We do like easy management and analysis of logs, tracing .

Cons

Helm charts is bit hard to understand. Configuration might be hard for non experienced person

Dynatrace

Cheaper then dynatrace
James
  • Industry: Market Research
  • Company size: 5,001–10,000 Employees

maintain observability with Datadog

Reviewed on 14/12/2022

Pros

Ease of use and flexibility. Beginning teams can leverage out of the box but you can grow into this product as it is quite feature rich. The product just works.

Cons

It is so expensive that we consistently have to trim usage when not needed. Also due to this we have to justify the product constantly

Kevin

Great metrics and monitoring

Reviewed on 9/3/2019

Overall Datadog has given us great insight into what is going on with our server infrastructure, it has opened our eyes to some issues we weren't aware of. On top of that it's helped send alerts when things are going wrong.

Pros

Datadog has integrations with pretty much every main software service you can think of. It has pretty robust support for Windows machines and the custom metrics support is great, so you can track anything you'd like.

Cons

The usability could be improved in some areas, the custom dashboard features are powerful but the syntax can be hard to work with.

Amiril Rahmi
  • Industry: Entertainment
  • Company size: 501–1,000 Employees

Good tool for APM

Reviewed on 21/9/2022

It is very useful tool and we hardly getting any downtime issue with the Datadog itself.

Pros

We use Datadog mostly for our infra monitoring and log management. These features are very useful as they are real-time, helps to make sure our services are up and running, provide alerts whenever there's anomaly, and we can always trace back using their logs.

Cons

Pretty pricey and their UI is not easy to understand, first time user will need more time to adjust.

Agustin
  • Industry: Logistics & Supply Chain

A very complete tool for website monitoring

Reviewed on 14/12/2022

We use it to discover errors in our apps.And we are now testing the RUM service to find out how our customers experience our site.

Pros

We discover Datadog as a better alternative to NewRelic which was extremely expensive.We found that Datadog is a very powerful tool with tons of features and services. It provides very detailed performance insights such as speed, latency, uptime, potential threats, etc. We use it mainly for Application monitoring and Real User Monitoring, and we found out that it correlates events between different services which makes it very easy to pinpoint issues with our apps.

Cons

It was a little hard to installed all the integrations.And because of a lack of communication with our account managers we ended up paying much more than we thought when deciding to switch to Datadog.The integration with AWS resulted in all host from all environments to appear in Datadog, many of which we didn't need to, and that resulted in a very expensive bill for that specific month.

Ciprian

Great web monitoring tool

Reviewed on 5/1/2020

Pros

Great web monitoring tool if you have the time to dig into all the options and settings. The user interface is really professional and good looking and the charts and graphs are well thought out.

Cons

It requires a bit of server tinkering, which I wasn't familiar with. Not really a minus.