TriNet Zenefits Reviews

Chris
  • Industry: Automotive

Easy and affordable

Reviewed on 29/5/2020

Have been on this platform for 3 plus years. The software is always improving and new features are being introduced

Pros

Everything is cohesive and easy to learn and use.

Cons

Would like more pdf print options to be available

Reasons for Choosing TriNet Zenefits

Wanted to try the new kid on the block

ADP Vantage HCM

Cost and value
Robert
  • Industry: Staffing & Recruiting

Excellent HR Platform for Small to Medium Sized Businesses

Reviewed on 30/9/2021

When we were considering HR software back in 2015, we set up demos and reviewed many different options, but based upon the needs of our company Zenefits was the best choice. It was a seamless and easy transition once we made the switch. We were able to set up and customize Zenefits so we could accomplish what we need to with the platform. Using the Zenefits platform for our hiring and onboarding has allowed us to streamline our hiring process which was especially helpful during the peak of Covid when having to hire employees while working remotely. The ability to customize in Zenefits was a huge plus for us as a staffing company because of the differing needs of our clients. Zenefits makes it easy if we need to update or change any of the documents that are used for onboarding our new hires. The benefits management available through Zenefits has also been a great tool for a business like ours. It is a very simple process to review available plans and options for the upcoming year and to collect important information from our employees during open enrollment. Our company has changed from where we were in 2015 and using Zenefits has allowed us to easily adapt.

If you are a small or medium sized business that struggles with HR issues like hiring and onboarding, benefits and record management, or compliance, I would recommend looking into how Zenefits can benefit you and your company.

Pros

Seamless and easy transition once we made the switch. Easy set up and great options for customization. Zenefits is a great tool for businesses not having a full HR but needing HR support when dealing with Benefits, Employment Paperwork, and Compliance.

Cons

We have not had any major issues or challenges using this software

Liv
  • Industry: Apparel & Fashion

Save yourself time and money!

Reviewed on 20/2/2020

Horrible! I don't even know where to begin. Customer service is a joke. Promises not kept, reps telling you that they have 300+ messages in their inbox so you should wait.

They have so many shady practices that it is hard for me to not call it a scam. Like not updating your employee numbers before they charge you a full year of service. We were charged more that double of what we should have paid and they now won't refund!

They promised a 3 week setup period and here we are 7 months later not being able to use their payroll services. Thanks but no thanks.

Pros

Nothing! It looked good, it was presented good.

Cons

Do not let the sales rep convince you and save yourself thousands of nonrefundable dollars!

PayFocus

Reasons for Choosing TriNet Zenefits

Thought bringing all services under one product would be easier, more efficient for us.

PayFocus

Reasons for Switching to TriNet Zenefits

Response from TriNet Group

Good afternoon Liz,
I am sorry to hear that your experience with Zenefits was less than satisfactory. Although not perfect, we are purposeful. Our goal is to provide each customer an experience we can take pride in.
We will use your feedback to create better training, a better user experience, and a better overall product.
We wish you well.

Stephanie

Zenefits Makes Payroll & Benefits Admin Easy

Reviewed on 18/3/2024

Pros

Payroll and Benefits processes are almost entirely automated. We used to have spreadsheets on spreadsheets - but thanks to Zenefits, it's easier and more compliant.

Cons

Zenefits is not very international contractor/employee friendly in terms of functionality.

BZ
  • Industry: Libraries

Zenefits - Easy Peasy

Reviewed on 29/5/2020

This is a great software for a distributed workforce. We have employees in different 20 states and 40 different locations. Zenefits makes it easy for us.

Pros

This software is so easy to use for both the employees and the HR team. Everything is simple and straightforward, no convoluted quirky tricks needed to enter information. Hiring and onboarding is super easy. Open enrollment is super easy. Payroll is super easy. PTO management is super easy.

Cons

There are some tie in products that still need some work.

Paycom, ADP Workforce Now and BambooHR

Reasons for Choosing TriNet Zenefits

Needed an integrated solution.

Paychex Flex

Reasons for Switching to TriNet Zenefits

The benefits management system and the easy hiring ability were the original reason. In the end, it was the employee experience that made the difference - good mobile product.
Sandy

User Friendly and Intuitive

Reviewed on 21/11/2019

The efficiency of Zenefits when it comes to onboarding is a huge timesaver. We're able to send employees key information they need before and after they start working with us with no manual work. I cut down on a few hours of work per week with this feature!

Pros

Zenefits is super simple to learn how to use, both for Admins and for Employees. My employees love being able to use the software for benefits enrollment, time off, and other requests. It's easy to teach someone how to use it because honestly, I don't really have to--the interface is really simple and easy to understand. Saves me a ton of time as an HR professional!

Cons

The Time Off reporting could be more robust, but this will come with time. As our company grows we're looking to pull more quick reports on PTO accrual and other balances, and some of the values we're looking for aren't readily available. There have been some changes in this area though, so the developers recognize how the system should be improved.

BambooHR and SilkOne Cloud Chiropractic EHR

Reasons for Switching to TriNet Zenefits

The cost of Zenefits and the intuitive user interface sold us the most. We felt like we got the most value with the best user experience for our employees. The optional integrations were also a huge plus for us, like our 401(k) provider.
Richard

Payroll is hard

Reviewed on 28/11/2020

Overall very good, but as I mention above, payroll is tricky, and CRITICAL! I had some stressful moments with payroll, but once it is set up it is very easy to administer.

Pros

i like the self-service aspect access for my employees and using Zenefits for onboarding.

Cons

Payroll admin is a hard, specialized topic. I could have used a little more hand-holding in getting payroll up and running.

Paylocity

Reasons for Switching to TriNet Zenefits

Better feature-price value combination and easier employee access
Will
Will
  • Industry: Online Media

Good and Bad at the Same Time

Reviewed on 14/2/2020

Please check out what I had to say for cons. If you can live with having no number to call, or at least, not a number that take you to a human who can answer your questions, then the features and software are solid. The pricing is what you would expect based on the features.

Pros

This SaaS has tons of features and can really help a small business get over those HR hurtles, although it won't replace the most valuable assets that a in-the-flesh HR person brings.

Adding their payroll integration was a big win since our company was using a 401(k) admin that required manually keying in EVERYTHING back when we used intuit for payroll. So props for that!

Cons

OKAY, hear me out. The on-boarding process is unacceptable. I wouldn't be surprised if half of their potential client base ended up BACKING-OUT during on-boarding. I mean, it takes 2-4 weeks, you'll already be looking a bill on your credit card, and to make matters worse, the only staff that have a phone number are SALES PEOPLE!

You guessed it, the sales staff CAN NOT help you with your on boarding., PERIOD.

Response from TriNet Group

Will, we appreciate your review.

Aimee
Aimee
  • Industry: Nonprofit Organisation Management

One of the BEST HRIS systems on the market

Reviewed on 12/9/2019

I absolutely loved this HRIS. As a consultant, I have worked with other organizations since that are using other HRIS/payroll tools and greatly miss my Zenefits heyday.

Pros

NEARLY EVERYTHING. From benefits administration to onboarding to PTO tracking it literally organized and kept almost all areas of HR automated in a user-friendly, highly customizable manner.

Cons

We had to give up our long-time relationship with our broker. That was part of the deal. We worked through their 3rd party relationship for ATS and performance management platforms, but we liked both tools, so it didn't feel awkward.

Gerald
Gerald

The products advertised sounded very good. Not all live up to their promises.

Reviewed on 10/4/2018

Pros

The software is very easy to navigate. Its easy to go from one module to another. Information loaded into system is automatically entered across to other modules.

Cons

Some of the product modules still have a way to go to catch up to other providers, especially in the Payroll arena. Zenefits Payroll is not able to perform some of the basics that other products have. They are also not set up well to handle multiple companies under a single umbrella.

Sean
  • Industry: Hospitality

Easy and Convenient

Reviewed on 27/5/2020

Very positive. I have never used an outside service for basic HR functions before, but was pleasantly surprised at how much work Zenefits saves me by letting employees enter their own info.

Pros

Easy to use - Managers can access/input/share the info they need, employees can fill out their own info which saves HR a lot of work. Customer Service can be contacted easily. Reports/Info can be accessed easily. Reminders are emailed to you if any necessary information is missing.

Cons

I believe Zenefits does not have the ability to pay third party garnishments directly.

Reasons for Choosing TriNet Zenefits

I was not employed here at the time of the switch.

Reasons for Switching to TriNet Zenefits

I was not employed here at the time of the switch.
Jennifer

Life Saver

Reviewed on 13/11/2020

Time Saved! Compliance is always taken care of...not much to worry about.

Time Saved! Compliance is always taken care of...not much to worry about.

Pros

Zenefits was a life saver for me! Everything was done manually before Zenefits so the amount of time is saved was amazing. The ease of use is incredible and I love the reporting capabilities.

Cons

Support response can be slow, especially for tax items

Gusto and RUN Powered by ADP

Reasons for Choosing TriNet Zenefits

Needed something to do not only payroll but also filings, payments, compliance + all other HR and benefits admin.

Reasons for Switching to TriNet Zenefits

price, ease of use and reporting
Brooks

Incredibly happy users

Reviewed on 11/8/2020

Overall experience with Zenefits has been very good and we would highly recommend.

Pros

Zenefits is very to use and the onboarding process is a breeze.

Cons

Zenefits reporting has gotten better, but still has some room for improvement. Additionally, they could do a better job with year-end comp process/reporting.

Gusto and Workday HCM

Gusto and Workday HCM

Reasons for Switching to TriNet Zenefits

Most comprehensive product with good pricing. Confident they would offer add-on product that we would want.
Jenn
  • Industry: Nonprofit Organisation Management

Helped streamline our nonprofit operations

Reviewed on 18/10/2021

Great -- on the whole it has created so many efficiencies for me in payroll and HR management and we have easily saved money when I think of all the time saved.

Pros

I save so much time on payroll and have fewer errors compared to when we manually calculated it and used a 3rd party accounting firm to handle our payroll. Year end tax documents -- especially for contractors receiving 1099s -- are also much less of a headache now. I've also saved a ton of time on HR operations - in particular new staff onboarding and documentation. It's much simpler for both me and the new staff.

Cons

Customer service can be a little slow to respond, and setting up PTO for part-time employees was a little trickier and more time-consuming than I expected.

Gusto, ADP Workforce Now and BambooHR

Reasons for Switching to TriNet Zenefits

They offered a nonprofit discount and I like their sales team
  • Industry: Human Resources

Stay Away From This Company

Reviewed on 12/10/2020

I am filled with regret switching to Zenefits. We have spent 40+ hours easily setting things up. I can't disrupt our employees again with another switch. I woudl if I could.

Pros

I like the idea of what they are trying to accomplish...a hub for HR and payroll. They missed the mark because they created a product that doesn't flow and is very difficult to use. The customer service has a 3 day min wait. If I could leave, I would in a heartbeat. Filled with regret.

Cons

When you are trying to set up the core of your business and continue to function seamlessly, customer service should be available at all business hours. If you are lucky enough to get a calndly link, you can schedule, but there is usuallya minimum of 3 days to wait. This is so unacceptable.

The product itself is clunky, disjointed and not at all intuitive. You have to go to different sections to see different things about an employee instead of clicking in tehri name and seeing everything related to their employment in one spot.

Thet auto-approved our payroll on teh last day of teh pay cycle prior to teh day's end. That is crazy.

Shae

Seamless low-cost solution for small to mid-sized companies that kills busy work

Reviewed on 3/12/2018

-Paperless onboarding/offboarding to support a remote workforce

-Integrations with existing ATS,...

-Paperless onboarding/offboarding to support a remote workforce

-Integrations with existing ATS, removing the needs for duplicate data entry

-Digital document storage, allowing us to digitize all employee files. No more paper!

-Time off tracking: Automatic rating to managers for review and approval of all time off requests while keeping the HR team aware of team schedules. Transparent reporting to have conversations with employees regarding the time off trends (% of unplanned versus planned time off). Time off solution also supports Prop 206 mandated sick leave.

-Health insurance platform that allows for the execution of open enrollment, qualifying life events and new hire enrollments for all lines of coverage (med, dent, vision, life and disability). HSA app built in to allow employees to review available balances and submit out of pocket expenses.

-ACA compliance: Built into existing subscription model that allows for ACA reporting, submission to IRS and 1094/1095 creation without the need for an accountant or an expensive solution.

-Business intelligence: Real-time standard and customized reporting. I use this solution heavily as a federal contractor to execute our annual affirmative action reporting.

Pros

With a solution like Zenefits, I have managed to reduce the HR budget year-over-year while going 100% paperless. The integration with our applicant tracking system allows me to push data seamlessly from my mobile device directly to Zenefits to extend an offer, wherever, whenever. I am no longer chained to the constraints of my desk, which is critical for an HR team of one.

Easily the most comprehensive solution in the market (at this price point) that addresses onboarding/offboarding, automated and customized email triggers to employees, time and attendance, insurance, aca compliance, reporting (standard and custom) and a multitude of integrations. Since becoming a client over 2 years ago, I have gone to market year-over-year, and haven't found a solution that is comparable. Zenefits kills the busy work and allows me to dedicate time to our employees and driving meaningful initiatives, restructuring the experience with HR to being a partnership versus an administrative burden.

Cons

I wish the performance management module was baked into the subscription versus an add-on cost.

The transition to a new brokerage, OneDigital, has come with its challenges, but I appreciate that the leadership teams both with Zenefits and OneDigital have been willing to personally speak with me to determine how gaps can be bridged to improve my experience as the employer.

• Industry: Pharmaceuticals
  • Company size: 5,001–10,000 Employees

Decent Human Resources Platform for Businesses Small and Large

Reviewed on 7/8/2021

My overall experience with Zenefits has been great. The pricing has been fair, the service has lived up to expectations, and most importantly, everyone who uses it at my place of work shares the same mindset, more or less. I would definitely recommend it to anyone looking for a decent HR platform, as I am sure it would not disappoint except for when it comes to the occasional technical glitch here and there, which I am sure applies to anything having to do with technology.

Pros

What I like most about this software is the layout in which all of its functionalities are presented. Whether it be payroll, benefit elections, or anything else relating to human resource necessities, Zenefits has what both the employee and employer are looking for when it comes to ease of use and variety of functionalities and features. I very much like that the service is offered on both a web browser as well as a smartphone app, which allows for on-location or on-the-go usage. Lastly, I find the pricing for such a great service to be very reasonable, and the method in which pricing is to be determined to be quite fair as well, (when compared to competing companies offering similar services).

Cons

As a whole, Zenefits is there for you when you need it and delivers up to expectations. However, if there was one thing that I believe should be somewhat stabilized, it would be the clock in and clock out feature on the mobile app, which at times might be a bit challenging to work with, as it sometimes freezes the phone screen, resulting in the need to restart the whole phone for it to begin working again. This happens on very rare occasions, but when it does happen, it is a bit inconvenient. Other than that one small aspect, there is not much else that is negative to report.

Byung

One Stop HR Solution

Reviewed on 1/10/2021

Migrated from old ways of "calling in" payroll to online platform such as Zenefits saved limited man hours and resources for a small company.

Pros

Zenefits makes payroll processing and new hire onboarding easy. It also keeps all the employee records and eliminates need for paper.

Cons

They used to have a support phone number where you could be connected to a live service representative. I wish they bring that feature back or perhaps an online chat/talk function where you can connect to a live person. Many questions can be answered online or through well-prepared online learning videos or narratives and a service question/issue is usually within 1 or 2 business days.

Gusto, BambooHR and Paychex Flex

ADP Workforce Now

Cost and ease of use
Casey

Just okay

Reviewed on 4/3/2020

Zenefits is nice because it can be used anywhere by pretty much anyone, it is has an easy mobile app and a simple dashboard. However, Zenefits fails at being open to feedback and actually caring about the customer who literally spend thousands of dollars to use their service.

Pros

It is nice that everything is in one location and Zenefits is fairly easy to navigate.

Cons

-The new time/attendance is an absolute nightmare, it is glitchy and slow.
-Customer Service is pretty bad, long wait times and minimal solutions, we have had a tax issue (created by Zenefits) for the last 2 years that they have still not resolved.
-Club Zen is where I was advised to provide feedback, which was pretty uneventful.

Response from TriNet Group

Thank you for your feedback Casey.
Our goal is to provide a quality experience we are proud of. We will use your feedback to improve product, training, and UX.

Lisa

Excellent UX - Lacks on the service provided

Reviewed on 21/9/2018

Pros

The platform itself is incredibly easy to use. The time off feature was extremely valuable and appreciated by employees. Open Enrollment via the platform was easy for the employee and running reports was incredibly efficient. Overall, the platform was well made and well managed.

Cons

The payroll "integration" was never accurate so we couldn't rely on it. The service that Zenefits provided, from a Customer Service standpoint, was unreliable. We always had issues, whether it be random deletion of employees from our benefits, adding dependents randomly to our benefits, an agent assuring us something was taken care of and finding it was not, being provided incorrect info, taking long periods of time to correct errors, getting different answers from different reps, etc..., we could not rely on their service. We had to duplicate our efforts so frequently that the "automated" service Zenefits provided was irrelevant. Also, while the data migration was provided in a bulk download, we were missing documents and had to reactivate our account multiple times to retrieve missing documents. Nowadays, local insurance brokers are providing robust services with Open Enrollment platforms that integrate with most systems - Zenefits and the headache of their customer service doesn't provide value any longer.

Venugopal
  • Industry: Insurance
  • Company size: 5,001–10,000 Employees

With the introduction of Zenefits!! Get most of your HR Problems Released!!!!

Reviewed on 20/8/2018

Pros

In today’s life, a very big problem that big companies are facing is that HR is not manageable. I have seen a lot of companies that are facing this problem extremely. So, to overcome these barriers and make the flow smooth a brilliant software had been launched named: ZENEFITS!! It provides a platform that can be easily understood and can be used by an ordinary person. Great Na!! It also stores time and attendance of its users and supports Integration. One great thing is also that it provides a completely automated and electronic employees on-boarding services. It integrates all the functions of HR management under one roof only. This one is Awesome Guys!! It also supports reporting and filing data of ACA as well as it also supports customer service.

Cons

This application excludes international payrolls and having some problems in permanent storage of details of employees (Like mailing address of employees). Sometimes very awkward problems arise like managers are not able to access all the details of employees etc. Its Insurance Integration is also very bad as well as it provides only a few reports that are almost of no use. In comparison to its competitors, its prices are a little bit higher which also increases its cons. It has no performance management tools as well as it is not full HRIS, it is a basic system so use according to your needs.

Robyn
  • Industry: Primary/Secondary Education

Zenefits was the first HRIS system my small company used (100 employee)

Reviewed on 10/1/2018

Worth taking a look at.

Worth taking a look at.

Pros

User friendly for both HR and employees (self-serve) --easy and intuitive to use. Incredibly easy to create customized reports off using almost any data point(s). Smooth automated benefits enrollment process. Responsive customer service and great online help tools. System doesn't go down and is fast enough to keep up with our needs.

Cons

Zenefits is still 'young' and getting its act together. Used to be free until last year and they are still evolving their pricing structure, so they may end up being too expensive for our small company. Considerable personnel turnover in past 2 years and change in how they manage some functions (for instance, they now outsource benefits management to a 3rd party company instead of managing benefits inhouse and I am not overly impressed with the current benefits mgmt. group). Limited paid time off functionality (system only allows tracking of one paid time off process and my company has 2 discrete time off policies).

A Must-have for small businesses with employees. Gone are the days of Spreadsheets and file...

Reviewed on 17/4/2018

As a small business with only a few employees, it REALLY helps with getting our HR stuff together.

Pros

So first off, we use zenefits on a daily basis for just about all of our HR functions. The support is great for when we've run into the very rare bug, and sales is always quick to get back to me.

They regularly release new features and improve existing ones.
They are also VERY receptive to user feedback and idea suggestions.

Cons

Ya know, I'm not one to nitpick, but i have run into a few small issues lately.
Primarily, the issue we have now is that we've been on Zenefits for a few years now and have older "Legacy Pricing". We however do all HR tasks on Zenefits EXCEPT payroll.

Well fast forward a few years, their payroll product actually looks fairly promising.... until i learned that in order to start using their Payroll service, i have to first be updated to their newer more expensive billing plan.

Bah.

Sandy
  • Industry: Staffing & Recruiting

Excellent user interface for the admin and employees alike.

Reviewed on 10/4/2018

An easy to use interface and a tool that allows our employees to electronically and seamlessly on-board. I enjoy that the tool automatically reminds the end-users to complete tasks and keeps track of everything in one useful tool. I would like to see it become an intranet for employees to access company specific templates, content and tools.

Pros

What I like most about Zenefits is that it allows our employee on-boarding process to be completely automated and electronic. I love it!

Cons

The software I like, but being an earlier adopter, there were many growing pains within the company which caused a lot of issues with our open enrollment for two consecutive years. We recently resigned our contract and based on what we need, went with the basic (silver?) plan, which doesn't include Vacation Tracking. We don't need all of the HR support since we're a consulting services company. With that said, I'm disappointed that we weren't grandfathered in to having that tool.

Dustin
  • Industry: Management Consulting

Great concept but poor customer service and execution.

Reviewed on 13/11/2017

Loved the idea of the concept, was basically sold on idea to have a PTO software that we could use for employees to use without a fee.. then once all were onboard, we had to pay per month and now you can't even call for assistance when you have a problem.

Pros

Has a mobile app that employees can access from virtually anywhere, can see a shared calendar that will display in outlook with employees scheduled off.

Cons

No customer service phone number, no email addresses for specific reps, customer service must be contacted online thru a job ticket (if an account is locked out, can't even submit ticket for contact and no phone number to call), managers don't have access to the employee review sections (must grant managers admin rights, which then opens the door for past requests to be deleted by an employee.. big problem), system was not set up properly and allows for managers to approve time off when employees did not have the time available.. no pop up that would ask "are you sure?" type thing, can not print an employees PTO time, multiple tabs to even get total time taken/available.