CANVAS

4.3/5

Kelly
Kelly
  • Used for 2+ years

CANVAS makes higher education accessible anywhere you have an internet connection!

Reviewed on 30/6/2020

CANVAS is very user-friendly and an all-around excellent way to engage in continuing education and life-long learning. Personally, as an older student, I love using CANVAS.

Pros

While I am unsure of the College's side in using this software, for me, as a student, I love using CANVAS. I enjoy travelling and with an easy-to-use, school-issued/provided LMS (Learning Management System/Software), I can take many classes online from anywhere in the world with an internet connection. The mobile application is robust and incredibly convenient, allowing 99% all-the-same functionality as the desktop version. Students can even take online quizzes and finals using their internet-connected mobile device (Smartphone). It is very user-friendly and an all-around excellent way to engage in continuing education and life-long learning as an older (personally, 42 years) college student.

Cons

The only drawbacks to CANVAS I experienced were a loss of data if the active internet connection broke while in the middle of completing/submitting assignments and quizzes. I know that CANVAS has since implemented an auto-save feature on the quizzes, so that part of the problem is resolved. Whether or not this is true of the assignment submissions, I honestly do not know at this time.

Kyle
Kyle
  • Industry: Motion Pictures & Film

College on the Web

Reviewed on 18/10/2020

Canvas is an excellent learning tool for most colleges and universities. Not only does it allow for assignments to be turned in over the internet but it also allows students to take quizzes and attend lectures through ConferNow and Zoom. It will notify you through email for any work that is assigned, work that is due, etc. Although it can be a bit complicated to operate through compared to other programs such as Google Classroom, it has all the features you would need in order to run a class online especially during a pandemic.

Pros

With the rise of Coronavirus and online options for college classes, Canvas has been a staple tool for students taking online classes and even with online assignments. Canvas, similar to Google Classroom, is a program that allows teachers to assign work through the web instead of wasting time printing and wasting paper. It allows students to be notified of when assignments are due and even allows them to take quizzes and test online. With most of the world being forced to do everything digitally Canvas allows access to Zoom through ConferNow which allows for teachers to schedule lectures and meetings. Canvas also allows you to message other students if needed. Without Canvas, school online would be incredibly difficult, and although Google Classroom is a solid option for courses in elementary school through high school, Canvas has more features such as users being able to directly embed LTIs such as Flipgrid.

Cons

Although Canvas is better than Google Classroom in terms of the number of features, Google Classroom's interface is simpler and easier to understand than Canvas's. Google Classroom, being a Google program, also makes it slightly easier to turn in assignments using Google Docs, Sheets, Slides, etc. Canvas's user system can also use some work as well. Canvas may have the ability to allow you to see other students but it's obscure. There's no way to search for other people unless they're in your class and most people don't even know of the profile feature. Personally, I don't believe there are many problems with Canvas except that they should redo its design because to me it seems a bit bland and that they should make its interface a bit more simpler since it can be confusing to navigate through.

Arreybesong
  • Industry: Animation

Canvas review team

Reviewed on 3/2/2024

Pros

For the canva it has work lighter in photo fixed

Cons

I don’t dislike anything about the canvas

Laura
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

Review for canvas

Reviewed on 17/1/2024

Pros

First of all I like the flexibility of Canva. It is very easy to easy, even if children can use it very fast.

Cons

There is nothing that I don't like, cause Canva is my favorite.

Iman
  • Industry: Research

Great tool for education

Reviewed on 3/11/2023

I’ve been using canvas ever since college all the way up until my graduate program

Pros

I like that canvas is a very easy useful tool for online classes for students who are unable to make it to lecture/class also a great tool for individuals who need easily access material

Cons

Although canvas is a easy usable software tool, it takes a few months of getting used to

melana

canvas melana

Reviewed on 8/2/2024

very good, easy to learn how to use and connect with school

very good, easy to learn how to use and connect with school

Pros

I liked how easy it was to use to access my schools manuals and connect to peers and teachers

Cons

the home page could be overwhelming and feel unorganized at first until I learned how to use it

mikolaj
  • Industry: Architecture & Planning

Canvas Product Review

Reviewed on 8/2/2024

Highly positive and a good educational resource.

Highly positive and a good educational resource.

Pros

A great tool used for managing course for education and specific modules, units and topics. A great tool for online and remote learning with ease of use and easy accessibility.

Cons

Depending on how it is set up, it can be compelx to use or be used as a file dump rather than an effective file management system and unit centre base.

Shelmith

Canvas, the Best choice for Online Course Management

Reviewed on 17/1/2024

For all my online course work, Canvas has been a game-changer. I don't worry about how my students are doing as I can everything under one platform. I highly recommend Canvas to all online tutors.

Pros

I like the user-friendly interface. This is a beginner-friendly tool that any online tutor can enjoy.

Cons

Everything is just great with Canvas and so far no complaints.

Assumaia
Assumaia
  • Industry: Luxury Goods & Jewelry

I really like canvas for diversity

Reviewed on 17/1/2024

my experience wth canva s very good, im enjoying using it,and i no longer need to pay a designer to make my poster and others

Pros

I really like Canvas for the ease use and practicality, different templates.

Cons

What i liked least is that it doesn't have many templates in the free version, and when downloaded t loses quality. and i recommend it

• Industry: Civic & Social Organization

Canvas review

Reviewed on 9/2/2024

Pros

Very good online learning experience easy to use.

Cons

Addition of narrative lessons and videos can be difficult sometimes.

Kennedy
  • Industry: Telecommunications
  • Company size: 5,001–10,000 Employees

Canvas very efficient!

Reviewed on 4/9/2023

The platform is stable and extremely efficient suitable for busy professionals looking to study,,,enrol in a university with canvas

Pros

Its easy to learn and to use making the learning curve shorter

Cons

its not an aesthetically appealing hence can lead to a bit of formality

CANVAS is a great tool for Courses and International competitions.

Reviewed on 7/8/2021

It's a nice program for communicating with students and is very organized. I really like to use it.

Pros

If you work in a school or a scientific competition, or if you wish to teach a class, you can use CANVAS. It's an excellent application because the grade book offers an Effective Teaching option for tracking progress against a set of academic criteria. Students and teachers will benefit from this mobile-friendly and easy tool. The largest business would be distance education, although it performs excellently in general.

Cons

It can be tough to cope with at first when using the application, and it takes a long time to publish a post on the student page.
Students occasionally carried assessments in the incorrect location and took time to get acquainted with the mobile phone application.

Microsoft Teams and Canva

Reasons for Choosing CANVAS

I found CANVAS is an organized program in dealing and communicating with Students than other Programmes

Google Classroom and Moodle

Reasons for Switching to CANVAS

In general, I prefer to use the program, especially in making exams for students, because it appears if the student opens other programs with him, which confirms to me the credibility of dealing and the absence of cheating
Rebekah

Couldn't have gotten through college (as a student and as a TA) without it

Reviewed on 27/10/2021

It's interesting reading other reviews using Canvas as a tool for certification and similar modular learning. As it was used during my years at college and as a teaching assistant, it reliably got every job done well and seemed perfectly built for each small adaptation we found to use it for.

Pros

I've mentioned quite a few technological pluses in the rest of this review, but for this particular response I think the most important thing was how friendly the system was. It handled tens of thousands of us constantly logged in at my university, relayed grades instantly, never crashed while administering tests, and simply had an aesthetic layout (using our college colors!) that didn't treat you like a criminal (think of other test monitoring software) or unduly freak stressed students out with how they present grades, feedback, deadlines, and more.

Cons

Honestly, I found no faults with the software while using it as either a student or TA. Given the option however, I would have suggested integration options with other, lesser tools we used as TAs such as timesheets and hour submission portals.

John
  • Industry: Mechanical or Industrial Engineering

The Blackboard Slayer

Reviewed on 1/8/2022

The benefits of canvas over blackboard make it the clear winner. It built the habit of checking my grades and checking the schedule for more work really easy and convenient.

Pros

Canvas is a flexible learning management platform that integrates well with zoom, panopto, proprietary websites, and more. It helps students take exams and submit homework with reliable automatic grading and robust grade calculations. It does a good job at providing an efficient interface between teacher and learner, and helps students make better study habits. Very happy user of CANVAS

Cons

The biggest drawback of using canvas is easily the possibility that an administrator doesn't set their course up efficiently. However, this is no fault of the platform itself as many make it perfectly easy to use and reliable.

A Fantastic Platform for Team/Class Oriented Organization

Reviewed on 28/8/2019

Canvas has been a great platform in my career as a student and as an employee. From being able to take quizzes directly on the platform, to getting involved in very thoughtful discussions, Canvas has been something that has facilitated my learning experiences, inside the classroom and in the office. The digitalization of coursework, readings, and writings, has made a positive impact on the environment, and also allows its users to take their work with them wherever they go- as everything is accessible via the mobile app, or through the website on their laptop. This has made the experience absolutely positive for me and those who I have studied and worked with over the years.

Pros

Canvas is a software that I have been using for multiple years now, having used it originally in school, and now in college at Georgetown University while also making use of the software's organizational benefits as an Intern at EY. There are a few aspects of this program that stand out to me as being significantly beneficial. Firstly, Canvas, as a platform, is used for connecting users in an organization (class, work project, team, etc.) under one platform. The administrator (boss, professor, team leader) can then publish documents, quizzes, links, and other files so that its users can all view them, without the need for the administrator to send these files to each user individually. Perhaps the largest pro of a software like Canvas is that, on the same platform where files are published and shared with others, users can also engage in blog posts, discussions, Zoom conferences, and more features; all of which allow them to communicate with and learn from each other while also becoming familiar with any material posted by their boss, team leader, or professor. This synergy is what makes canvas special and unique; it is a one-stop-shop for individuals in an organization to parttake in multiple means of learning, all in the same location.

Cons

Despite being a phenomenal software platform, perhaps one of its downfalls is that, when using CANVAS in school or in college, the dashboard can get relatively messy. When enrolled in many different classes across different semesters, older classes tend to stay on your dashboard and this can make it difficult to keep your new classes a priority at first glance. While this is easy to edit in your Canvas settings, I personally believe this should be something that the user can edit from the homepage. In addition, it would be a large plus to the aspect of organization if users could customize the menu bar on the left side of the website, to only show the tabs they want to see for each class or project (files, modules, pages, discussions, announcements, grades, etc.)

Sam
  • Company size: 501–1,000 Employees

My favorite course management software

Reviewed on 28/2/2020

Overall I'm happy with Canvas. My students use Moodle in most of their other classes, but I'm still holding out... I just think it's a superior product.

Pros

My institution uses Moodle, which I have found to be extremely cumbersome. So a few years ago, I switched to the free-for-teachers version of Canvas, and have never looked back. My favorite specific feature of Canvas is the Speed-grader, which changed my life when I switched from Moodle. I also like the way the online quizzes work. More generally what I like about Canvas is the unified design. Where as open-source course management software feels like a hodgepodge of different options and designs Frankensteined together, Canvas feels like there is a design team actually thinking through the way it should look and operate. I appreciate the flexibility it gives me with regard to the layout of the home page, how I can control what the students see, etc. Also, over the six years that I have used Canvas, I've seen features get improved in response to user suggestions. Always a good thing.

Cons

Like all course management software, there are times when I feel that too much clicking is involved to accomplish basic tasks, or little things that should be possible are not. For example, when making rubrics for assignments, there is no way to shuffle the order of the categories. If you want to add a new line in the rubric between lines 2 and 3, you'd have to delete all the lines after 2 and start over from there. Little things like that, which aren't a huge deal, but sometimes do leave me scratching my head. Also I wish the question banks for quizzes were a little easier to manage.

Pablo

Build for teachers

Reviewed on 29/10/2020

Canvas is, by their own admission, a feature-poor software with lots of customizable and additional opportunities to expand it.
That is true. You need to learn how to use it, play nice with it, and it will play nice with you and with many other integratable softwares.
Adapt to its quirks and you will be happy with it.

Pros

1) Easy to use as a teacher. Once you get the schema of how the software works and accept its ways and limitations, then you can really use it to your advantage within that framework.
2) Integration with other softwares. Canvas integrates with many other LTI providers, but everyone is slightly different, so you need to be willing to pay the price to learn how to integrate things carefully.
3) Speedgrader is nice. I've seen better ones in other LMSs, but Canvas Spreedgrader is pretty good.
4) Training and support. You can find, if you search carefully, tons of training resources for Canvas.

Cons

1) It's easy to create things that clutter your course, system almost without knowing.
2) The assessment engine is quite limited. The new quiz engine is still too buggy to use and has been way overdue.
3) I hate that there is not an autosave feature, specially when building quizzes. More than once, I accidentally save the quiz without saving the individual question and loose a ton of work.
4) It's almost impossible to find your grades across multiple courses. You have to go to each course individually and click several places at that.

Louisa
Louisa

Canvas in three words: reliable, convenient, and innovative.

Reviewed on 17/3/2021

My overall experience with Canvas has been incredible. From my days using the platform at my large public high school to my current use of Canvas at the University of Pennsylvania, I have found it to be extremely instrumental in fostering my learning. The landing page for each of my courses presents the necessary information, such as grades or quizzes, in a way that is consistent across the platform, yet also enables professors to customize what different links to information appear in order to allow them to design a page which best fits the scope of their course and its associated assignments. I have loved using Canvas, and look forward to doing so throughout the rest of my college career!

Pros

I first used Canvas long before I ever even entered college as a high school student. However, throughout the years the platform has always remained extremely easy to use and provided me stable and secure access to my course content. With the advent of online learning brought on by the pandemic, I began to use Canvas even more this past year as a current junior in college. Reflecting on my increased use of the platform over the past year, I can appreciate how Canvas has remained not only reliable and convenient to use, but also innovative in that they have continued rolling out updates which make the platform even better, such a the "like" feature which enables students to engage more with their classmates' responses on discussion posts.

Cons

The one feature which could be improved on Canvas would be more clear instructions on how to update your profile photo! One of my professors requested that we change our profile photos to a picture of ourselves last week, and while I was eventually able to do so successfully, it took me a little but to figure out where to take this action.

Nicole
Nicole
  • Company size: 1,001–5,000 Employees

Unique uses

Reviewed on 16/2/2022

Canvas is flexible enough to allow us to implement courses for unique purposes outside the traditional college course (online or with online support). I have built a course framework in the LMS for a semester-long class, with traditional assignments, grading, etc. (The gradebook and SpeedGrader are great.) However, it's also let my team create information hubs and portals, using Mastery Paths to direct different people to different resources, and offering flexible components (such as "mark as done" vs. actual assignments) that allow courses to stay evergreen throughout multiple semesters without having to be recycled. I've been able to use Canvas not only as a LMS platform for moving learners through courses and content, but to provide training and information and instruction on programs and processes.

Pros

Canvas is flexible and has great integration with certain add-ins, including Microsoft Office, Zoom, Ally (an accessibility checker tool), and Echo360, which are the ones I use the most. It allows authors to integrate a variety of content in a way that makes sense, and the grouping of modules and content is convenient and easy to change. The support forums are also typically very helpful. There are plenty of tools that I haven't even gotten around to using to their full potential, i.e. the calendar, chat features, rubrics. I haven't used them this way yet, but the Mastery Paths feature would be excellent for providing personalized learning experiences or implementing pre-tests.

Cons

I wish there was a more sophisticated way to subscribe to certain types of notifications (e.g. certain threads within discussion topics). There's limited ability to author courses within the LMS, and you mostly have to rely on content you create or import yourself. When used for nontraditional purposes (e.g. providing a central hub for students in an honors program, rather than students in a particular class), there have been some issues with our SIS integrating correctly with Canvas. This also may just be an issue with my campus' implementation of Canvas, but I wish that you could have 1 page linked to multiple courses and that updating it in one place made the updates in all the courses in which the page existed; this would help for centralizing information. There are no templates or pre-created objects and libraries, which again may be an issue with my particular campus rollout, and also just a general downside of open-source products.

Emil

Canvas for Teachers

Reviewed on 16/3/2022

It's extraordinary for instructors, coaches, distributers or anyone with any interest in making better approaches to learning. It helps structure your plan interaction and assists you with settling on the most ideal decisions route. We need everybody to have the option to utilize the Canvas and that is the reason offer it for nothing! Assuming you really want a little assistance with utilizing the material.

Pros

Advanced education instruments that play pleasantly with others.

Rubrics. Modules. Schedules. Plans. Tests. Prospectuses. Investigation. Speed Grader! (Signal heavenly messengers singing.) Canvas has so many master bang includes that will add flair to your courses. Furthermore, we could go on and on about the combinations. The Canvas API pals straight up with apparatuses like Google Classroom, Microsoft Teams, Zoom, Adobe, and many other innovation accomplices to convey one brought together learning center point.

Cons

Instructors are influential individuals doing significant, groundbreaking things. Material doesn't impede that-it simply makes those significant, Canvas is groundbreaking things more straightforward to do and simpler to share.

Cha
Cha

CANVAS offers us the opportunity to acquire its services through trials.

Reviewed on 7/10/2022

CANVAS is one of the main programs that we put on to increase education and knowledge of the area with the staff of the company, thanks to the ease and good interface that this program has, it allows us to provide you with an adequate master's degree and impart the most relevant information of the company. which will be of great help for future activities, CANVAS offers us the opportunity to acquire its services through trials and free versions, thanks to this platform we can use them at all times and expose our content through methods and activities on the web that It will be very helpful, in order to speed up with these tests the learning of the work methodology and how to achieve profit for the company.

Pros

This platform provides the best tools to expose information and constantly train our support staff, it is these students who benefit from the easy integration of CANVAS that allows them to understand much of the information guide that we want to teach them, there are many benefits when you have a program that would train you with the new co-workers who request an opportunity to operate within the company, imparting the knowledge that could be reinforced thanks to the support of this program, I really like how practical and dynamic each one of the projects that are taught by this means, this with the aim of approving the student body to reinforce their skills in this area, CANVAS is undoubtedly one of the best spaces where it allows us to teach order and administrative efficiency when working and performing in our company.

Cons

This program may be a bit basic, this is because the tutorials and guides for its users may be very limited, having the opportunity to further expand its functions in other areas, that is, it may be a bit more versatile for the training of other types of more complex programs that require more practice and theory before implementing them in the company, the potential that this program has is very great, although it also does not have the integration of more common programs in the use of administrative offices, this can be a great point that play against them.

Yevstakhii

My expirience of use CANVAS

Reviewed on 26/4/2023

CANVAS is flexible and customizable platform that allows to create engaging online learning experiences. I appreciate its user-friendly interface, communication tools, and analytics features. Students, on the other hand, often enjoy the ease of submitting assignments and accessing course materials through CANVAS.Of course, like any online platform, CANVAS can experience technical issues or be challenging to use. However, overall, I have found that CANVAS is an effective and reliable learning management system that supports both traditional and online learning environments.

Pros

1. Communication Tools: CANVAS has robust communication tools that allow me and students to easily communicate. This includes messaging, discussion boards, and video conferencing.2. Integration with Third-Party Tools: I can integrate CANVAS with a wide range of third-party tools, such as Google Drive, YouTube, and Dropbox. This makes it easy for me to incorporate multimedia into their courses and for students to submit assignments.3. Analytics and Reporting: CANVAS provides me detailed analytics and reporting features that allow to track student progress, identify areas where students are struggling, and adjust my teaching strategies accordingly.

Cons

1. Limited Customization: I have found that it is not as flexible as other learning management systems. This can be a challenge for teachers who want to create highly customized courses.2. Technical Issues: Like any online platform, CANVAS can experience technical issues that can disrupt the learning experience. For example, I experienced slow load times and difficulty accessing certain features.3. Lack of Mobile Optimization: I have found that it is not as fully optimized as they would like. This can be a challenge for students who want to access course materials on their mobile devices.

Joshua
Joshua

A Revolutionary Aid to Learning

Reviewed on 8/1/2019

Pros

I have used canvas at both my previous college and my current one which I transferred to, for both classes which were taken entirely on the platform (online classes) and classes where it was used as an aid. The ability to see an up to date schedule for your classes, contact instructors, revisit old modules, submit assignments online, view and respond to instructor feedback... It's completely changed the game. It's become an intrinsic part of my routine to check canvas everyday. You can also customize what alerts you want to see, so if your instructor gives you feedback or sends an alert out you can get an email straight away.

The app is also fantastic and very convenient!

If you're an instructor and you don't use canvas, I worry that I won't be able to see important changes in time. Plus, feedback is relegated to the old fashioned, penciled in way of the early 2000s. We're better than that now, in no small part due to Canvas, which has genuinely revolutionized the medium learning takes.

Cons

There was one brief time this year where they pushed an update that made it so one of my instructors would see some error message when they clicked on my file submission, even though they were able to successfully download the file. They patched that quickly!

Overall, it turns of lasting cons, canvas has tried very hard to become irreplaceable, and they've succeeded. My only problem is when instructors aren't tech oriented, and so don't understand how to set up a course shell, but that's not canvas' fault.

Amy
  • Company size: 1,001–5,000 Employees

Very functional with lots of features but can be hard for professors

Reviewed on 28/4/2022

Pros

I like that CANVAS offers a lot of features to accommodate the increasing needs of online resources for learning, and its functions/features upgrades quite up to date. During the pandemic years, CANVAS is the major (virtual) workplace for professors and TAs outside Zoom. It can do almost everything, including passing down materials, creating and monitoring quizzes/tests, grading and commenting homework assignments, communicating and interacting with students and so on. I felt like the software is ahead of us in thinking about functions. Sometimes there were features to allow us avoid problems that we would not think about. Because our school used to use another platform and changed into Canvas a few years ago, I assumed the all-in-one and expanding features must be based on thousands of comments from teachers and students in lots of other institutions using it earlier than us. Overall, it's a very smart online course platform.

Cons

CANVAS is great in having tons of features, but it could be very confusing and intimidating for professors who were not very confident in using technologies. As a student and later TA, I've seen professors having troubles or feeling uncomfortable after they made a mistake on CANVAS, for instance, wrote something incomplete and announcements were sent to the whole class before they could correct the message. Also, the ever changing features in the navigator make them feel like they have to learn it hard every year. They're busy people and not as comfortable spending time exploring features like fun parties as Gen-Z. Well, Gen-Z teachers are more and more common since they came of age, but schools and universities still have quite a lot of tenured professors who were our parents' age, so would be great if the software considers their feedback or thoughts.

Samridh
Samridh
  • Industry: Mechanical or Industrial Engineering
  • Company size: 501–1,000 Employees

Canvas as a student user

Reviewed on 1/2/2019

Compared to Moodle, I like Canvas much better. It is very much focused and geared towards enhancing the student's learning experience.

Pros

I have been using canvas regularly for all my graduate classes. It has been the epicenter/hub for the instructor and all other students to come together and create a intuitive learning environment. Things I really like with canvas:
- Discussions and Help Forums
It's so easy to post questions in canvas and ask the professor and other students for help or clarifications. my graduate classes are pretty demanding and requires lot of back and forth with the instructor. But imagine if every student asked the instructor the same questions over and over again. On canvas I can see other student's questions and responses so it's like big FAQ hub.
- Easy to navigate Contents
All of the contents such as lecture slides, videos, homeworks, grades etc are in one location under different tabs. It has been organized properly and I don't have to click 100 times to get tot the page I want.
- Interaction with other students
I think this is what differentiates Canvas from moodle and what I have used in the past. This platform is very much student geared and student centered. It is there to help students interact with each other and learn from each other.

Cons

Canvas is not perfect though if you are not an expert user or instructor.
- Many times instructors said the contents are released but it wasn't
- The grades accumulation does not always makes sense
- Very much dependent on how the instructor has laid out contents.
- Redundant information
- Not always user friendly. Does take a while to get adjusted to it