CANVAS

4.4/5
4.4/5
4.3/5

Luis Carlos

The most user-friendly management service

Reviewed on 21/12/2021

Now I don't hate using an online tool for managing my courses. After trying other two alternatives for a couple of years each, Canvas is the only one that I don't want to just get rid of. Before, the online management tool was a requirement, now it is a must have.

Pros

I've used a couple of alternatives both as a student and as an educator and this has by far the best user experience. This one helps going straight to what you need to do with it. I like how it doesn't try to add a lot of functionality that no one will ever use. The features it has are great and the way to access them just makes sense. When we changed to Canvas, we all agreed at my institution that it was one of the best decisions we have ever taken.

Cons

I would like to have the option as an admin to disable some features. Take forums as an example, my students use social media for pretty much anything or some other stuff. That fact that forums are there is nice, but if you won't ever use it, I would like to be able to remove it.

Christopher

Excellent Learning Management System

Reviewed on 26/5/2021

I could not run my classroom without Canvas. It is the most powerful tool in my classroom toolbox.

Pros

Canvas is an incredibly robust Learning Management System. It provides invaluable tools for educators such as quizzes, discussion boards, and excellent course management tools. The most useful for me is the quizzes. Quizzes can be auto-graded, have controlled access, allow multiple attempts and has a large array of question types for your students.

Cons

Canvas does have a bit of a learning curve. It can be a bit daunting for those just starting out. This makes the product slightly unapproachable but there are a lot of tutorials for the common features.

Dr. M Y
  • Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

Canvas for Online Learning, Teaching & Assessment: OK but...

Reviewed on 6/2/2021

Best valuable features: Share to Common, Import/export content i.e., transport/transfer files from past year or another course. It saves time, not reinventing the wheel.

Assignment Due date is very cruel to learner as 1 second late submission may cause a heavy penalty. Recently due to COVID-19 my learners in UK and International faced difficulties. I suggest to add a feature giving some window instead of a fix hh.mm.ss timestamp.

Pros

Learning & Teaching: Various useful features, e.g., upload/download files, page creation, announcement and discussion and valuable apps containing ubiquitous tools, like MS Team meetings, Panopto, Vimeo, YouTube, Dropbox etc.

Assessment: Huge variety of Quizzes, secured quizzes, quizzes SWOT statistics, lockdown browser, Assignments, anti-Plagiarism tools, Moderation, Marker Allocation, Grades,

Research: Conferences, collaborations, Canvas digital forum support.

Cons

Assessment of students: sorting may not be sync'd with local university database. i.e., downloaded grades and university's marksheet contains names of students starting differently. Imaging if you have 300+ names! this causes sorting issues while assessing online.

Quizzes are great but cannot create duplicate questions, some time academic need this feature. Also because quiz question can be an Essay therefore, this type of assessment must include anti-plagiarism tool (i.e., Turnitin etc), not available in Quizzes but only in Assignments.

Reference Manager and Library tools are not available but can be added, e.g., Talis, StudyNet etc. These features are necessary for cognitive learning and cresting your own Library does help. I need to use either Endnotes or Mendeley as an external app on my desktop or on cloud.

Its good to use integrated Email tool but its not linked to outlook or other email app. I cannot send email to other people outside my module, i.e., cannot do cc to manager, examiner etc but I need to permanently add in the list of people.
Also cannot add images etc in text but can attach files. Also cannot format the text but just plaintext is allowed. You cannot add http link to a text.

uğur
  • Company size: 5,001-10,000 Employees

With CANVAS learning like a game.

Reviewed on 8/10/2022

My overall experience with this program was very practice.

Pros

We are using this for my little sister from high school she study with CANVAS after school if she doesnt understand her daily lesson exactly.With regularly using her success increase everyday.

Cons

I'm happy that using CANVAS so i haven't any bad aidea about it.

Axel
  • Industry: Primary/Secondary Education

The best educational software

Reviewed on 10/4/2022

It has been very useful for my educational experience. It helps me to organize every work I have to deliver day by day.

Pros

It is a very friendly software for any student. Its functionality and features are very useful and developed.

Cons

I haven’t found anything that I don’t like from the software.

Vanessa
  • Industry: Higher Education

An excellent app and platform for online teaching-learning

Reviewed on 1/6/2022

My experience with Canvas was very satisfactory. I loved the complete platform, its features, and above all how easy it is to use. I would use this application or platform, again and again, both to study and to offer online courses.

Pros

It is very friendly and easy to use and navigate. It is very practical and complete. It has many desired features for managing an educational platform while being interactive and efficient.

Cons

Some details when needing to put back the previous functions. You have to go back to the same page again, unable to fix where you left off.

Ailly
  • Industry: Design

Great softeware

Reviewed on 31/1/2023

Very satisfactory experience.

Pros

A lot of options for creating designers.

Cons

There should be more images for free and others temples.

Jarell

Modern University Virtual Blackboard

Reviewed on 16/1/2023

Pros

The product is very easy to use and what I like most about the Canvas is the mobile app due to it's clean format

Cons

The Canvas app feature I liked the least would be testing. I do not recommend you take any long or important test on the app.

Hamza
  • Industry: Computer & Network Security
  • Used Daily for Free Trial

Test canvas software

Reviewed on 12/12/2022

I make many work with the software that I can't explain

Pros

I like to use it in community and personal work

Cons

In business as music production I would like to recommanded it

Martha
  • Industry: Entertainment

Canvas for easy studying

Reviewed on 16/1/2023

Its a good app for students and also teachers for virtual teachings.

Pros

Its so easy to use and i can study anytime and anywhere. Because it can be accessed through mobile phone too.

Cons

A bit challenging when starting because of payments

Ariya
  • Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

Review on Canvas

Reviewed on 6/8/2022

As a user of 2 years and counting, I am very satisfied with my overall experience with Canvas and am very likely to share it with others. It is software that will continue to be used in the future; it's a major improvement to online learning.

Pros

This software is very well organised with minor issues. I think as a user of 2+ years, I am extremely satisfied with the software. Although there are some minor improvements to be made, I believe that this software is the future of remote higher education.

Cons

I think my major complaint about this software would be the fact that hiding and/or deleting certain courses' cards/lists isn't an option. When one year is over and another begins, half of the courses still on my dashboard can be considered clutter and are no longer needed. I think another feature that would make organising easier is editing the name of the course on my dashboard. Organisations usually title their courses in the same format with minimal changes which does make it harder to differentiate from one another. Adding subtle features that allow for personalising your dashboard without compromising the content of the courses would be helpful, I believe.

Jim
  • Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

The Last LMS You Will Ever Purchase

Reviewed on 28/2/2022

As a staple in higher education, online and hybrid learning have played a central role in offering courses to a geographically dispersed demographic of students. Canvas provides this ability with a solid product and reliable up time to help us meet these goals.

Pros

A very powerful platform with a low threshold for adoption and ease of use. Our instructors rave about the intuitiveness of the course builder features and functionality. Since the pandemic, nearly all of the institution's thousands of courses have content online in Canvas - including the traditional in-person classes.

Cons

Integration with our student information system required some additional outside services to that students, courses, and grades could be synced in real time in order to give students immediate access once enrolled for the class.

Blackboard Collaborate and Brightspace

Reasons for Choosing CANVAS

After Blackboard's acquisition of MoodleRooms, the support, service, and development declined while prices increased. After a complete RFP of the alternatives, Canvas became the clear leader in the learning management system space.

Reasons for Switching to CANVAS

Best product, best support, best pre-and post-sales support
  • Industry: Writing & Editing
  • Company size: 5,001-10,000 Employees

Canvas - The Best Online Classroom A Student Can Ever Have!

Reviewed on 17/2/2022

Pros

What I love most about Canvas' software was how simple and easy it is to use. It is the one platform that I have used for six-to-seven years that has allowed me to feel connected to my fellow students and professors most even during classes that were strictly online. It has options like a calendar that automatically shows you all of your assignments on their due dates a weekly and monthly glances. It has neatly color-coded panels that allow you to divide up and access your courses easily. It even has a built-in grade book so students can manage their grades, estimate their overall course grade using the built-in grade estimation system so they aren't in the fark about their grades the whole semester. It even has a feature where students can email other students and teachers directly through Canvas and a system where students can record themselves saying their name so it won't be mispronounced! There are so many other tools to name and I love that so very much about Canvas. For its inexpensive price, accessibility, and variety of tools, I would wholeheartedly recommend Canvas to any school or teacher to use.

Cons

While it's hard to pick out something that I didn't like about Canvas, I would say that the test and assessment grading system could use some improvement. It's a challenge for students and teachers alike to enter numerical equations that require certain formats such as scientific notation, for example, and it would be wonderful if that could be improved for future use. Even so, Canvas still has a great grading system for other courses that do not require equations and such so I still very much recommend it to anyone.

Deepali

Canvas - A full range of online training apparatuses

Reviewed on 4/4/2022

Excellent

Pros

1) Gives inward correspondence, not needing an external message or email framework.

2) Incorporates a file sharing structure for informative materials inside the framework.

3) Gives an evaluating stage that is distinguishable by students and instructors.

Cons

Record names used to be shortened - however that is fixed at this point.

Google Classroom

Reasons for Choosing CANVAS

Canvas takes the better part of the Google Classroom and consolidates them to work pretty flawlessly - reviewing, tasks, participation, record/document sharing - all coordinated into one stage. Moreover, the interior correspondence include makes communication between the student and instructors simple to track and follow. That is an incredible expansion to the general bundle.

Google Classroom
Rochelle

Using Canvas in the Classroom

Reviewed on 4/11/2021

My overall experience with Canvas has been very positive. This platform has made my life so much easier as a busy instructor with seven or eight classes in a semester. Also, the platform makes it so easy to move from semester to semester with the copy feature. We do not have to recreate the will every semester. Our videos are there, along with handouts and tests. And, if we need to update a tests, it is easy to copy the updated tests to all of your classes.

Pros

My college has been using Canvas for the last several years. It is so instructor and student friendly. We are able to upload assignments, create videos, and grade with such ease. Also, students are able to navigate the platform very easily.

Cons

There are a couple of features that I think could be improved, and they are deleting old emails and sending emails to all of my classes. I wish that I could highlight all of the emails and delete in small batches. Also, it would be great to email several classes at one time.

Blake

This is what an LMS should be!

Reviewed on 29/7/2019

We switched to Canvas when our school went 1:1. This was a key component of the success of our program.

Pros

This LMS has become the hub of my classroom. It holds both students and teachers accountable with complete tracking of assignments.

Cons

It could have better integration with our SIS (FACTS), but I think this is more of an issue with FACTS.

Blackboard Learn, Blackbaud K-12 Solutions and Schoology

Reasons for Switching to CANVAS

Schoology was a close second, mainly because of their workload planning, but the overall interface and the fact the many of our students will see Canvas when they go to college, it was the clear choice.

A Fantastic Platform for Team/Class Oriented Organization

Reviewed on 28/8/2019

Canvas has been a great platform in my career as a student and as an employee. From being able to take quizzes directly on the platform, to getting involved in very thoughtful discussions, Canvas has been something that has facilitated my learning experiences, inside the classroom and in the office. The digitalization of coursework, readings, and writings, has made a positive impact on the environment, and also allows its users to take their work with them wherever they go- as everything is accessible via the mobile app, or through the website on their laptop. This has made the experience absolutely positive for me and those who I have studied and worked with over the years.

Pros

Canvas is a software that I have been using for multiple years now, having used it originally in school, and now in college at Georgetown University while also making use of the software's organizational benefits as an Intern at EY. There are a few aspects of this program that stand out to me as being significantly beneficial. Firstly, Canvas, as a platform, is used for connecting users in an organization (class, work project, team, etc.) under one platform. The administrator (boss, professor, team leader) can then publish documents, quizzes, links, and other files so that its users can all view them, without the need for the administrator to send these files to each user individually. Perhaps the largest pro of a software like Canvas is that, on the same platform where files are published and shared with others, users can also engage in blog posts, discussions, Zoom conferences, and more features; all of which allow them to communicate with and learn from each other while also becoming familiar with any material posted by their boss, team leader, or professor. This synergy is what makes canvas special and unique; it is a one-stop-shop for individuals in an organization to parttake in multiple means of learning, all in the same location.

Cons

Despite being a phenomenal software platform, perhaps one of its downfalls is that, when using CANVAS in school or in college, the dashboard can get relatively messy. When enrolled in many different classes across different semesters, older classes tend to stay on your dashboard and this can make it difficult to keep your new classes a priority at first glance. While this is easy to edit in your Canvas settings, I personally believe this should be something that the user can edit from the homepage. In addition, it would be a large plus to the aspect of organization if users could customize the menu bar on the left side of the website, to only show the tabs they want to see for each class or project (files, modules, pages, discussions, announcements, grades, etc.)

Ryan
  • Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

Best of the bunch (but still not stellar)

Reviewed on 11/5/2021

I've been a full-time professor for six years now, and before that I was a full-time graduate student for three, and an adjunct instructor for another six, not to mention the time I spent as an undergraduate myself, when LMS software was becoming ubiquitous. This means that I've used virtually every LMS package out there as either an instructor or a student (or both), and despite its bugaboos and flaws, Canvas continues to outpace the others in terms of usability, innovation, and overall quality.

Pros

I've used the Canvas learning management system (LMS) as both a student and an instructor for years now, and I can say with a high level of confidence that it is, by far, the best LMS available today. It strikes a good balance between available features and ease of use, meaning instructors have a reasonably high level of customization at their fingertips at the course level, but students won't be confused or overwhelmed since every Canvas course retains certain similarities that can't be altered (e.g., navigation). There also appears to be a great deal of control that can be exerted by administrators in terms of locking down (or opening up) features, so it can be tweaked accordingly for any given institution. There are a LOT of features available to instructors in Canvas, and those can be expanded indefinitely by adding third-party integrations.

Cons

There are a range of frustrating quirks, missing features that require hack-y workarounds, confusing user interface issues, and inexplicable limitations that regular users will run into with routine use. For example, if you create an assignment and enable peer reviews of that assignment, it is difficult for students to figure out how to access the documents they are supposed to evaluate. Once they do find them, the embedded document editor is buggy and limited, and occasionally fails to save student edits. On top of all of this, if peer reviews are set to "anonymous," the embedded editor is disabled entirely--not just for students, but for the instructor as well, making it impossible to make inline comments or suggestions. Even more frustrating is the Canvas/Instructure support website, with its arcane, verbose design and overreliance on "community" message boards instead of dedicated agents to solve problems.

Lorraine

Canvas - Secure E-Learning Platform for All

Reviewed on 3/5/2021

Positive. The Canvas guides, videos, Community and help desk are really fabulous. Being able to access the answer to development questions 24/7 is a game changer for motivated learners.

For personalization and differentiation Canvas supports mastery paths which when built carefully give this platform an innovative edge for teachers. Canvas continues to improve their product with every update. Canvas is aware of industry trends and learners needs and makes sure their platform exceeds expectations.

Pros

When Canvas became our LMS for e-learning I was delighted. Having a secure, self-contained platform was a game-changer for teachers and students. Using SSO (single sign on) enabled users to access their classes easily and without fail. The course customization and integration with other tools (OneNote, Google, Flipgrid, Formative, etc.) made advanced users look like wizards of course design. The calendar feature which allows students to track and plan for assignments empowers learners.

Canvas was ahead of the curve when it comes to individual feedback. Their voice or video comment feature has been personalizing the virtual classroom for years. Canvas is great for Professional Develpment especially with the discussion feature. Learners can respond to and interact with one another asynchronously and this authentic interaction benefits students and teachers alike.

Cons

There were times when the customization features were not enough in Canvas. The platform itself is not visually appealing at first. The user has to carefully desing the course, beginning with the end in mind, to make it visually appearing and navigable for the learner.

Additionally, it may just have been our district instance but the integration with PowerSchool gradebook was both a plus and a minus. Teachers loved that interaction as it saved so much time grading. When that interaction had glitches it was a nightmare and sometimes difficult to solve or to find the root cause. This was often the fault of browser updates or software bugs, not Canvas.

• Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

Finally, a student portal that makes you want to learn!

Reviewed on 27/8/2019

Overall, I'm highly satisfied to have a student portal that doesn't make me want to tear my hair out. The developers clearly did a lot of research and user testing into finding out what features students need, as it still astounds me how complete of an experience the app is. Just about the only major issue with it is that some instructors don't make the most out of its functionality, but that's not really an issue with Canvas itself.

Pros

As a student who used to use Blackboard, I immediately saw Canvas' UI and overall look-and-feel as a huge upgrade. I like that it's based on modern UI design patterns, with features like the sidebar and the single flush column of content. It makes the web app inviting and fun to use for young students like me who are on their phone for most of the day.

One relatively minor feature that I greatly appreciate is the in-app PDF previewer, which saves me from wasting time having to download the file or opening it in a new tab and cluttering my workspace. Just this feature alone was enough to show me that Canvas' developers really had the end-user in mind.

One last big net positive I want to mention is the integration with the mobile app. It's great! Notifications show up on time and don't duplicate or perform other wonky stuff. Having a seamless experience between desktop and mobile goes a long towards making students like feel in control of their learning.

Cons

While there's a lot to like about the UI, I do have some minor grievances with it in a few places. The one thing that really stands out is how some blue links are clickable but don't actually do anything. For example, discussion threads have a clickable subtitle that shows which Lecture Section they're intended for. If it's for "All Sections", then clicking on it does absolutely nothing. I know this is a minor nitpick, but you would not believe how many times I've ended up accidentally clicking on that link intending to go the discussion board.

Nicole

Unique uses

Reviewed on 16/2/2022

Canvas is flexible enough to allow us to implement courses for unique purposes outside the traditional college course (online or with online support). I have built a course framework in the LMS for a semester-long class, with traditional assignments, grading, etc. (The gradebook and SpeedGrader are great.) However, it's also let my team create information hubs and portals, using Mastery Paths to direct different people to different resources, and offering flexible components (such as "mark as done" vs. actual assignments) that allow courses to stay evergreen throughout multiple semesters without having to be recycled. I've been able to use Canvas not only as a LMS platform for moving learners through courses and content, but to provide training and information and instruction on programs and processes.

Pros

Canvas is flexible and has great integration with certain add-ins, including Microsoft Office, Zoom, Ally (an accessibility checker tool), and Echo360, which are the ones I use the most. It allows authors to integrate a variety of content in a way that makes sense, and the grouping of modules and content is convenient and easy to change. The support forums are also typically very helpful. There are plenty of tools that I haven't even gotten around to using to their full potential, i.e. the calendar, chat features, rubrics. I haven't used them this way yet, but the Mastery Paths feature would be excellent for providing personalized learning experiences or implementing pre-tests.

Cons

I wish there was a more sophisticated way to subscribe to certain types of notifications (e.g. certain threads within discussion topics). There's limited ability to author courses within the LMS, and you mostly have to rely on content you create or import yourself. When used for nontraditional purposes (e.g. providing a central hub for students in an honors program, rather than students in a particular class), there have been some issues with our SIS integrating correctly with Canvas. This also may just be an issue with my campus' implementation of Canvas, but I wish that you could have 1 page linked to multiple courses and that updating it in one place made the updates in all the courses in which the page existed; this would help for centralizing information. There are no templates or pre-created objects and libraries, which again may be an issue with my particular campus rollout, and also just a general downside of open-source products.

• Industry: Nonprofit Organisation Management

Has its limits, but still the best out there

Reviewed on 11/10/2018

There is a paid version that you can do too. It's very expensive, and we found it still didn't quite meet our needs. For universities it probably would do the trick, but if you're a small education program, stick with Free for Teacher. Even with its little hassles, Canvas is still the best online classroom you can find out there.

Pros

We use the Free for Teacher edition. When it comes to setting up courses, having assignments, files, students, deadlines, and grades set up, it's pretty simple. Not a lot of trouble getting things put together. You can integrate videos, there's a conference capability called Big Blue Button that allows all the members of the course to video in with each other and you can share screen and everything. It has been a big help allowing our students to have a portal to do their assignments, and connect with everyone in the class.

Cons

One of the nuances to Canvas that is difficult is limiting what teachers can see. By that I mean we have two different types of courses that we run.

One is an individual cohort of a few students and a director. The only way to make these closed down to just these members is to create a duplicate of the course and put those members in. Not a terrible thing, but then the courses start to stack up with all the different cohorts you have going. Plus, there's not really a way to have any updates filter down into all the same semester courses. So if we want to make an update on Semester 1, we have to go into each individual course and update it. There's also no way to update deadlines when you copy a course. So I have to change every assignment's due date so it fits in the new semester's timeline.

The other kind of course that we have is an open course that anyone can jump into, and then we assign a TA to grade certain students. The problem with this is that there's no way to limit the TA's view of who is in the course. So it shows them that there are dozens of students' work that needs to be graded in their To-Do List and makes it difficult for them to know when their assigned students have actually submitted anything. Haven't been able to find a work around for this yet.

Burcu
  • Company size: 5,001-10,000 Employees

Canvas - more pliable than you think

Reviewed on 26/2/2019

If administrators would like to get the most out of Canvas they have to "think outside the box"; otherwise it can get quite dull and tiresome for their users. Overall I think it is a good software which has a lot of potential.

A simple Google search revealed that many administrators like myself looked for similar additional features/options on various forums online; so I wish that the above mentioned options -and many more-could actually be integrated into Canvas by the creators for ease of use for the consumers.

Pros

People may define Canvas as "clunky" and "not very intuitive". I would agree that you need to "learn" how Canvas works, rather than quickly "figuring it out".

I personally use Canvas not for a specific "Unit of Study" but as a platform to share information & news, and communicate with among a large group of students who do not get together in a classroom. So far it has been successful. Students seem to enjoy it and I can view usage stats to see how many pages have been viewed by which student, which is great information.

The fact that it accepts HTML code made it possible for me to integrate photo slideshows and 3-d interactive photos onto my pages. I used other free software available online to create them and simply embedded into my HTML code. I do not think most users are aware of these possibilities.

Cons

Canvas has its own language which does not apply to all needs. "Pages" and "Modules", "Unit of Study" lose their meaning when Canvas is used as communication platform like I use it. I wish these "names" could be changed by the user.

Another thing that most users find a bit frustrating is the way "Modules" are displayed on one page as a list; and the constant need to scroll down to find what the user is looking for. Since this page does not really lend itself to "zjeujing up", it may look tedious for users.

Debra
  • Industry: Writing & Editing

Canvas User

Reviewed on 18/7/2019

Overall wonderful product! I will be upgrading to the pro/paid version very soon myself.

Pros

I have my own business in addition to a full-time Revenue Cycle Manager position with a large company. I am very happy to have discovered Canvas. I started out with what can be done for free online, having not a lot of money to spend as a start up.

I could not have been more pleased! They have so many templates and specifics that you can create. From business cards to posters to flyers. They have great options within the free (something that you do not always see) for font types and size and colors to choose from.

Cons

The one thing that I had trouble with, to this day is how to create without a template. For example, If I want a plain background and add simple text. You cannot do it (that I have seen) without using something that doesn't fit for what you are doing and working with it to create. For example, I would have to choose a poster or business card but tweek to what I wanted. I have seen other software, that let you start from scratch to make what you want without a defined template. It would be great if Canvas would do that too.

Akhil

Simple review of CANVAS

Reviewed on 30/4/2022

Generally experience is that it's an extraordinary program and I would prescribe any individual who might need to utilize it. It's most certainly simple and effective to utilize. Material has been a fundamental device in an internet learning instructive world. Instructure gives a committed Customer Success Manager who meets with us consistently, a strong case the executives framework, and a very supportive local area commitment stage. Material is refreshed routinely to remain new on new advances, highlights, and bug fixes. It's truly amusing to deal with this framework and have such a lot of purchase in from staff.

Pros

An exceptionally strong stage with a low edge for reception and convenience. Our teachers go wild about the instinct of the course developer elements and usefulness. It permits me to make and oversee course happy without any problem. I reuse my Canvas course, trading out understudies every semester and am ready to open courses as the semester advances and return tests on a case by case basis. I can likewise move modules and content inside and to different modules. Understudy can get to the course materials and submit test, tasks, and home works. The way that it acknowledges HTML code made it workable for me to coordinate photograph slideshows and three dimensional intuitive photographs onto my pages. I utilized other free programming accessible online to make them and just inserted into my HTML code. I don't think most clients know about these conceivable outcomes.

Cons

There's restricted capacity to creator courses inside the LMS, and you for the most part need to depend on happy you make or import yourself. Moreover, it doesn't necessarily in every case play pleasantly with specific internet browsers or advertisement blockers. Assuming it's best gotten to under specific settings, that ought to be plainly imparted. The message was so little and the menus on the left half of the screen didn't stack well, so I would never utilize my telephone to get on Canvas without the application.