Schoology

LMS for teachers and school administrators

4.4 /5 (352 reviews) Write a Review!
4.4
4.5
4.3
4.3
4.4
Matthew C.
Industry: Higher Education

Clutch for shifting to online learning

Used Other for 6-12 months
Reviewed on 9/12/2020

Overall, Schoology was a lifesaver. We experimented with different products but really enjoyed the controls we had as instructors. In a time when the pandemic hit, we were struggling to find the application that worked best for us and this ended up being the perfect fit. It was a huge bonus that it came free and that we were able to find a testing software to continue our online education. Kudos!

Pros

The features that made choosing Schoology the most impactful was that it was free, had many controls as a course instructor and created safeguards for academic integrity. It had more controls to avoid cheating, created amazing supports for test writing (test bank, fill-in-the-blank, mix-and-match, time allotment, weighting etc.). It was very user friendly in that it created items that we used in in-person teaching and made life so much easier!

Cons

My co-teacher and I had a hard time figuring out how to prevent students from receiving their grades right after submitting their exams. I'm sure it was a matter of deep diving more, but in our scenario of first-time users, the students received their final grades after their final exam rather than giving us a few minutes to explore the stats and realize if we needed to drop questions or not.

Love this LMS!

Reviewed on 8/9/2019

This is a great product, and is super easy to use for almost anyone, it is lacking in some features but overall great product.

Pros

This is the best possible LMS that I have found out there-has several features. Organized folders, quiz giving ability and integration with ExamView, discussions, and district wide setup ability.

Cons

It is very spendy if you want to implement it into your school-hard to justify when Google Classroom is free. I wish the integration with google was more seemless, and the lockdown browser option was free for quizzes/tests.

Brittany S.

Schoology Review

Reviewed on 14/10/2020

The software was complainant for getting coursework done, but there are better options from a management standpoint.

Pros

This software allowed teachers and students to navigate coursework and complete assignments online.

Cons

This software did not provide students with classwork reminders and the modules were not easy to navigate.

Likelihood to recommend: 5.0/10

David T.
Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

Schoology is a great way to engage students!

Reviewed on 26/7/2020

Overall Schoology was a great way to engage students and assess their learning in a more interactive and interesting way. The student's seemed to like it better than using just books so it was more engaging for them.

Pros

Before I transitioned out of teaching, I used Schoology quite a bit as a teacher. Schoology made it easy and convenient to engage students in the classroom. You could post informational resources for them such as notes and websites, or create more interactive lessons with embedded youTube or other videos and they can be set up so students can do scavenger hunt type things on the computer. They also can be used for assessments to see if students learned the material they were supposed to, as an exit ticket, or a way to review information at home. These assessments could then be loaded directly into e-school for student grades.

Cons

One thing I found difficult was sometimes setting up answers to questions especially if I wanted a more free response type of question, although they do offer ways to grade on a rubric as well. Sadly in the day and age of inflating grades there was also no way to grade on a curve, which meant that even though grades could be directly loaded into e-school, administrators desired you to then have to go back into e-school to inflate student grades. All in all they seemed to be keen to adding new features that made things easier for teachers. They also had two different kinds of assessments, one of which I found not nearly as friendly as the other to use.

Katie K.
Industry: Primary/Secondary Education

Schoology - an AWESOME tool!

Reviewed on 20/7/2020

Schoology is a great solution for "one stop shopping" for our students. This is a great time-saver in the classroom.

Pros

My staff and students have used Schoology for the past three years. It is a great learning management system. The students find it user friendly and the teachers love having one place to manage the many aspects of their classes. Excited to see what new features will be coming this year!

Cons

My teachers are patiently waiting for Schoology to be tied to our student information system so grades will import directly!

Cathie G.

Your Classroom Experience Will Change with Schoology

Reviewed on 30/12/2015

Schoology is an all encompassing learning management system (LMS) that allows teachers to expand the walls of the classroom beyond the school day. Students can easily log into their Schoology account and access class materials, watch embedded videos, practice skills, or respond to class discussions. Teachers can organize and create folders and build an entire course throughout the year. The interface has a social media look that can be appealing for students. However, students treat Schoology as a course and not Facebook. Restrictions can easily be enabled to ensure that student's post before they see other responses. The Schoology App works extremely well in a 1:1 iPad classroom. Students can easily add their Google Drive App and submit assignments from Google Drive directly to Schoology. Teachers have an easy toggle feature that allows them to score student work efficiently without opening new tabs for every student assignment. Rubrics can be easily created and directly attached to the assignment. Schoology does platform with Pearson, Powerschool, and many other online sources. Those services provided do cost money. Schoology is COPPA compliant and has signed the Student Privacy Pledge. Videos and tutorials are easily accessible, and the company is very responsive to questions and suggestions.

I was using another popular LMS but found that my students treated it like Facebook. When I switched to Schoology I found that the interface and the assignment feed are easier to manage and sort through. Students treat Schoology as a course and not another form of social media. They respond appropriately and use it as a resource for their learning. Building on-line quizzes take time, but students respond well to receiving the instant feedback. Aa a teacher, I find the assignment feature and uploading from Google Drive seamless. I've been able to leave feedback and not feel overwhelmed reading 100 essays submitted in Schoology. The hardest feature of Schoology is learning and discovering all of the bells and whistles it offers. I would recommend using Schoology with a team of teachers or a colleague. It's much easier to bounce ideas off of each other as you tinker with its features. Once you maneuver through the first weeks of Schoology you won't turn back. I left everything I created on my old LMS and have had no regrets. Schoology is ideal if your looking to go paperless as well.

Stacey K.

User Friendly for Students and Teachers

Reviewed on 21/7/2020

Often times during the course of a class mistakes are caught and need to be fixed. It is very easy and smooth to fix issues while the class continues to run smoothly. The integration with Google Drive is extremely helpful to make things seamless for students!

Pros

I have used a lot of different Learning Management Systems and Schoology is by far my favorite! It is very user friendly on both the teacher and the student end. It is easy to build courses and manage them. It's easy to see student progress and grades. Using folders and all of the different content options, it is very easy to organize the content so that students can navigate it easily.

Cons

Over the years of using Schoology, they have made many updates that have fixed the complaints I've had. My complaints come more from other systems we use, such as single sign on. And the issues isn't with Schoology, it's with students not knowing their login information to sign in.

Brittany B.

Schoology Success!

Reviewed on 7/8/2019

At first, I will admit, I struggled using Schoology and I am pretty tech-savvy. After spending some time diving into it, I found it is pretty user-friendly, easily accessible by both students and parents, and a great way to present documents, stations for classes, and assignments. I loved being able create groups for stations and color coding each one. Made it simple for my younger students.

Pros

Schoology is a platform that has features perfect for a middle/high school classroom setting. It allows the ability to have students access their assigned class and find documents needed throughout the year. It is simple and straightforward for students, allows administrators to create groups within the school for educators (ELA, 5th grade, etc.), and can be utilized by everyone.

Cons

It is not an aesthetically pleasing platform, with little to no design features, minus a picture and color coding the folders.

David C.
Industry: Restaurants
Company size: 1,001-5,000 Employees

Schoology helps organize classes and groups. It keeps everything organized and available for all.

Reviewed on 14/7/2018

Pros

Schoology is a great organization tool for students as it displays all their classes and has each classes' contents inside the group. This allows for teachers to easily make assignments and information available to students digitally. Schoology also has a built-in calendar and notification system to make sure students turn in assignments on time. It has a very intuitive interface and it is easy to access for both administration, teachers, and students from both the mobile app and the web.

Cons

Schoology can sometimes have bugs which makes it frustrating in a classroom setting. Bugs can take time to fix and can delay important teaching material. The settings can be confusing at times and the mobile app can crash at times. Schoology support also takes some time to implement essential features which can be quite annoying at times.

Marja L.
Industry: Primary/Secondary Education

When we used it I was very happy with the product.

Reviewed on 19/9/2017

As a former English teacher, it was so nice to have students be able to speak their voice in a setting they may not have been comfortable with prior to using Schoology. We were able to do many of the same discussions with our Bible students as well. It really helped in studying scripture passages.

Pros

I love the addition of the discussion board feature. Requiring students to post prior to seeing other students' post makes it easier to ensure they are not summarizing/rewording someone else's post. This was something that several teachers at my school requested and Schoology was very quick to implement it.

Cons

I really have nothing negative to say about the software. Many teachers at our school had a real problem with handing over a copy of our drivers licenses to a company when we already had a full background check with our school during the hiring process. It felt like a violation of privacy.

Jo P.
Industry: Primary/Secondary Education

Flexible, fully-featured and fun!

Reviewed on 6/12/2017
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Schoology works best for a whole school setting where different ability levels of instructors and learners will be accessing the platform. Especially suited to an establishment which intends to develop a blended learning and learning self-paced learning approach outside of the classroom. A school which confidently uses mobile apps and digital technologies will find Schoology a healthy addition to their collection of digital tools.

Pros

+A huge community of teachers and learners looking to sharing their experience and support one another in the usage of the platform.
+A recognisable user interface which makes the learning curve for new users simple and intuitive.
+Superb flexibility to create bespoke learning environments for teachers and learners.

Cons

- Some limitation of iframe embed due to the HTTPS protocol requirement. Use of HTML code editor often strips the inclusion of more advanced features such as Java functions.
- Limitation toe badge and gamification of learning.
- LTI integration not fully functional, relying on apps developers to plug the gaps.

Gretchen D.
Company size: 5,001-10,000 Employees

Multiuser Program for Large School Districts

Reviewed on 6/9/2019

Overall, I found Schoology to be a very useful platform to be used within a large school system. It allows for information to travel quickly and for collaboration to occur.

Pros

This software allows the users to not only access courses and communications, but also enables groups to be created to share information.

Cons

In order to reach certain aspects of the program you have to click through multiple operations in order to reach the desired destination.

Likelihood to recommend: 7.0/10

April B.

Easy to use while giving me the results that I want in my classroom.

Reviewed on 28/3/2018

I was able to effectively communicate with my students with the software and they enjoy it as it reminds them of social media.

Pros

This software is very easy to use in the classroom setting. I can easily message my students at any time as well as their parents when I need to reach them which is a nice option to have available. I also like the fact I can exchange classroom resources with other educators that may be using the software. I am also a huge fan of the fact that I can make quizzed, grade prior assignment, and keep in touch with my students with just one application.

Cons

I think that there are a few things that can be improved regarding this software such as the mobile application at times seems to be problems with it crashing which means I lose things that I have not been saved at that time. I also dislike the fact that when new features are introduced it seems to take a while for them to become fully functional.

Michael B.

Not The Best Out There

Reviewed on 6/2/2019

Schoology at my school was more or less a necessary evil. Most faculty complained about it, and few were able to champion its intricacies to achieve some really cool results.

Pros

My school used Schoology as its online platform, and it was relatively easy to post, receive, edit, and grade assignments within the platform. Making announcements to classes was also simple.

Cons

I never felt the platform was very user-friendly. There are a lot of hidden features and seem to require a number of special clicking around to achieve. I have used other online learning platforms that seemed simpler to use. The online editing/grading tool was especially bad when it came to editing word processed documents.

Likelihood to recommend: 5.0/10

Kelli G.

21st Century LMS for the 21st Century Learner

Reviewed on 22/9/2016

I use Schoology in all aspects of my classroom. I create and share resources with other teachers in my district. I share resources with my students. I use Schoology as our online discussion forum. I create assignments/quizzes/tests in Schoology to help with paper clutter. I use the audio function in Schoology to help differentiate assessments. I also use Schoology to keep track of my Relay for Life group at my school where I can share event dates, updates, and important messages. I love that Schoology can be used for teacher-led instruction, but also for students to learn, create, and publish their own work. Schoology is a great tool to use for collaboration as well as differentiation. Super easy to use, and the best part is that there are so many different ways to use Schoology from a Resource Hub for teachers, to a full blown online classroom.

Joseph R.
Industry: Information Technology & Services
Company size: 10,000+ Employees

Perfect to Stay in Connection With Students

Reviewed on 15/7/2019

Great software even with those little bugs. Great way to keep parents in the loop with what is going on with their child in school.

Pros

LOVE this software! My son went to preschool last year and this product was a great way to help me stay in contact with his teachers. There are so many other features on the software that I haven't used yet as he doesn't get graded like other grades yet. I will be able to see the courses he takes, the grades he receives and so much more. Excited for the new school year to start to get those updates from his teachers and his school!

Cons

Last year, we did notice that there was a couple bugs with the software. By not being able to post or only posting half at a time. But it seems those issues have been fixed and/or being worked on.

Aisha L.

I used Schoology for years!

Reviewed on 25/6/2018

Pros

I used schoology for about 8-9 years as a homeschooling mom. It allowed me to manage my kids assignments and share their progress and status with their dad or even the kids grandparents. It was like a parent-teacher conference room online. As my kids got older and transferred to a charter school for high school, I shared the resource with the school principal and now the entire school uses it for all their instructors and courses.

Cons

There are no Cons. It is perfect! It is great for parents. It is great for Instructors and it is also a great tool and resource for students.

Schoology fits the bill!

Reviewed on 30/1/2019

Pros

Schoology does just about anything a teacher wants for a LIMS (Learning Information Management System) or classroom app. It will allow teacher-student interaction, classroom discussion, testing, assignment check-in/check-out, etc. Great product. In fact, I recommend that unless you REALLY need the "skinned" version and enterprise-grade support, you use the free version

Cons

Only, from an IT administrator's perspective, the pressure from sales personnel to upgrade to the paid/Enterprise version of the software.

Grace M.
Industry: Education Management

Students first needed 1 place to go to see homework. Now the whole school communicates in 1 place.

Reviewed on 19/6/2017

Pros

Ease of use, continual upgrades, available both in web and app version, LTI compliant, robust grading features such as rubrics and customizable grading scales, mastery grading features...The App, in particular, is very easy to grade on, as it allows for easy inking on student submissions. It has also been used that students can submit work on their phones if their regular laptops are not working.

Cons

The calendar feature is relatively weak. It would be great if that were better able to connect and sync with Google calendar and Outlook.

Schoology as a LMA

Reviewed on 19/12/2018

Schoology is very quick to answer with questions. They work users in making their product better and are changing the way we educate our students.

Pros

Schoology is designed in a format that is very easy to use for the creator (Teacher) as well as the end-user (Student). This Learning Management System is always working to make things better. The networking among users is fantastic.

Cons

It is not designed as a standard gradebook program which is something we fight with parents and students who are still in the mindset of grades and not standard based grading.

Nick T.

Good Overall

Reviewed on 22/10/2019

Schoology makes it easy to get in contact with anybody associated with our school very easily, which we have not been able to do in the past. It also keeps our grades, lets students access assignments and many more things that are very helpful for our district.

Pros

This software makes it easy to communicate between students, parents, faculty and staff of my school. We have setup multiple auto imports in and out of Schoology and it makes life much easier as an admin.

Cons

While we have setup auto imports, they do not always work. Their support is great when we need help, but I feel like we are needing assistance more than we should -> At least once a week.

Heather A.
Company size: 501-1,000 Employees

Schooolgy for all

Reviewed on 11/7/2019

Pros

I love this software because it allows the student and the teacher to be in contact (legally) 24/7. I most flipped lessons, videos, classroom announcements and homework for the night. I can also attach homework worksheets or notes that were given in class that day.

Cons

I do not like that you must always move the tab up when you post the latest assignments, or message.

Chris V.
Industry: Primary/Secondary Education

Excellent LMS for any sized institution

Reviewed on 29/10/2015
Review Source: SoftwareAdvice

Pros

What I like best about this LMS is three-fold. First, it is super mobile-friendly, and has an excellent app for all OS's. Second is that Schoology is intuitive. Our students and faculty have no problem learning and navigating the software. And third, the LMS is built for design! Our instructional designers can focus on working the the SMEs to design extraordinary courses and not ahve to work about being HTML experts.
What I like best about the vendor is their high level of personalized service.

Cons

Its not really a "least," but Schoology was born in the K-12 world and functionality for higher ed is not as strong as it could be. But we have been thrilled with their responsiveness in incorporating our design suggestions.

Lori H.

Integrated Schoology into my high school courses years ago. Can't imagine teaching without it.

Reviewed on 24/9/2017

Pros

Robust assessment creation feature allows random selection of questions from question banks, resulting in a unique assessment for every student. Layout looks familiar to students, so its use is intuitive to them. Scoring with a rubric is amazingly simple.

Cons

Sometimes drop-down menus overlap windows, making it difficult to complete tasks that require the use of both.

Terria S.

Using Schoology as Educator

Reviewed on 28/11/2020

My overall experience with Schoology has been really great. I personally really like the platform. I like that I can add folders, assessments, use the calendar, and add material for students however you would like to.

Pros

What I like most about this software is that I can create assessments that I can link directly to powerschools gradebook. I love that I can create many different types of assessments, that it links directly to the calendar so that all students can see it, that schoology will grade the assignment also.

Cons

The think I like least about the software is that at times there are glitches within the software. There are times when students and parents are not able to access the site.