PracticePanther Legal Software

Intuitive Cloud-based Law Practice Management Software

4.7 /5 (393 reviews) Write a Review!

Scott m. W.

Amazing program!

Reviewed on 19/11/2018

I bought this program when I first opened my practice about 2.5 years ago. I knew going into my own firm that I wanted a comprehensive client management tool. After spending hours online reviewing various programs, I decided to give the 30-day free trial a shot. I think I purchased the monthly subscription immediately after starting to use the program. Since that time, I have built on my knowledge, incorporating the MailChimp and QBO features first, then started learning how to streamline my document preparation through the template feature. What would have previously taken me multiple hours a week to manage, now takes minutes.

Pros

PracticePanther is intuitive and very user friendly. It has a ton of features that expedite minuscule tasks and free up admin time. It syncs with all my favorite resources, like QBO, MailChimp, and Box, making communication with clients a lot easier and keeps routine mailings operational. If you use a lot of form templates, the template builder is a major time saver and cuts down on user error and oversights. I use this program every day in my law office and am very grateful for how easy it is. Even better, the customer support team is phenomenal. I rarely have any issues with the program (it is easy to use), but when I run into something I need help with, a quick message to the PP team is responded to within minutes and the problem is solved or at a minimum I am given an update and expected time of completion. I couldn't recommend this program more to a solo or small legal practice.

Cons

Nothing, the team is constantly updating its software and programs that it connects to. They provide online videos to help and I frequently learn of new ways to use the program from regular updates by the team.

Response from PracticePanther Legal Software

Thank you so much Scott for the extra kind feedback!

Robert M.

The First (and Last) Billing Software You Will Need

Reviewed on 20/6/2020

Our own experience for our firm has been fantastic. Support staff has been very prompt and helpful whenever we had a question. I have recommended the product to every attorney I know.

Pros

Our entire office, from attorneys to support staff to office administrator, have all commented how intuitive and easy the software is to use. There is no doubt that our attorneys and paralegals have become more productive from using this software. Also, the reports for A/R, billable time per user, and many others are extremely valuable. We are a new firm, and this is our first (and last) billing software for our office.

Cons

If there is one thing I am "disappointed" with, it would have to be the add-on we purchased from Law Tool Box for court rules. When we first started using it, the rules for Nevada (where we practice), were almost all incorrect, or useless for our civil litigation practice. Despite providing Law Tool Box with all of the information on the proper court rules that apply here in Nevada over a month ago, they have still not made those changes. We have not been able to use or rely on it for anything. A great concept, but not functional. Useless.

John T.

Great product

Reviewed on 1/2/2020

Easy to learn. Easy access to tutorials and the help area is full of information. It has been a great decision to switch. I know that i have been able to capture more of my time and reduce time needed for billing.

Pros

I like being able to bill, take credit/debit card payments, and tell clients their balance with the app while in court. There are simple reports and a great dashboard to see how much is outstanding, to be billed, and the amount in my trust account. Practice panther has cut down on the time it takes for billing and made my office more efficient.

Cons

I print checks directly from practice panther, which takes several steps, but it makes it easy to add the cost to the client's billing. I would like the software to allow a report of vendors/payees' payments over various time periods as it does with tags and categories.

Alexis A.
  • Industry: Law Practice

Best practice management system I have used

Reviewed on 14/8/2019

I use Practice Panther as my main case managment system. My team and I LIVE on this software. It is far better than the alternatives I have used in the past and in other firms. We have it downloaded on all computers and phones for easy access in court at all times.

Pros

I like the intuitive interface, clean look, and the ability to customize my own workflows.

Cons

I would like to see a private server capability added in instead of having to rely on Box. One that we can access via VPN would be helpful. I wish we could add in a bit more automation customization. For example, I would like to be able to send my clients a customized email with attachments and helpful info before specific events, rather than the generic reminder email. I would also like the ability to create conditional logic in certain events.

Thalia R.

Working with Practice Panther

Reviewed on 18/12/2017

The user-interface is designed for quick and easy navigation. You can look at your dashboard and very clearly see everything you need to know for your day to run smoothly (well as smoothly as possible). It is cost effective and the onboarding and training are taken care of with Practice Panther's incredible customer service.

Pros

Before PracticePanther we had started an Excel spreadsheet to log our contacts for conflicts checks. We created a joint email account with Gmail so our email would be centralized and that also gave us a central calendar that we all had access to in order to set appointments, record deadlines, etc. We also created a Dropbox account for file storage.

While everything was low cost or free, all the parts felt scattered. PracticePanther pulls it all together in one beautiful, user-friendly interface. Now, instead of having to pull up 5 or 6 different apps/websites, we are able to pull up just one site and have everything right there. All of the components of PracticePanther are really easy to use. The entire program is designed for efficiency and ease of use. Color-coding allows you to see and understand your financial details in mere seconds. Tasks, events, and timekeeping are easy.

Cons

I would like to see the software integrate with more programs. Quickbooks is great, but my brain works better with Wave Accounting; LawPay is great, but being able to integrate with PayPal also, would be even better. However, these are minor things and not worth seeking a different program I like as much as Practice Panther. I had shopped around quite a bit before choosing Practice Panther; I doubt I would find anything I like as much.

Hands down, our favorite thing about PracticePanther is the superior support staff. If you have a problem and leave a message after hours in the chat box, you get a response generally within the hour. There is also training videos and a help center that will help you find the help that you need.

Response from PracticePanther Legal Software

Thalia, I am so happy to let you know we are about to release our new API and Zapier integration, which will open the door to MANY more integrations. We highly recommend LawPay for a number of reasons, but if you must use PayPal, we do have an integration available. We will reach out to you to show you how it works. Thank you so much!

Richard F.
  • Industry: Law Practice

Simple sophisticated software that will simplify your practice

Reviewed on 31/7/2017

This is a complete solution for my practice. I am a single solo so the document automation, notes, time entries and billing are a great way to save time and effort.

Pros

One of the best features of the software is not so much a feature but the logic employed in designing the flow of data. I have used a number of the more popular programs and can heartily recommend this as the best I have found. The ease of use makes it a top choice if you have staff that will use it. I am a single solo and it is not one of my concerns yet. But, I can't see anyone not understanding the flow of information. The automation is superb. Document assembly is easy and logical. One of the best features is the Forms generator. Email the form to your client or prospective client - they fill it out - and it goes right into your data. No need to waste time inputting names, addresses, phone numbers, email addresses, and any other data you would like to have handy in your file.

Tracking time is a breeze as is generating invoices, tracking retainer accounts, tracking trust accounts and more (I find the accounting component more than meets my needs).

Over time you will come to rely on the information in the program over the physical file. It has become my organizational hub for all that I do.

Cons

I would like to see a thick book explaining all the capabilities and limits. The support people are great and can answer any question - I just like to read it and push the software to its limits. I have used PP for some time - moving to another package for some time. At twice the price - it did less. In my brief time away the product dramatically improved & I am back and very happy.

Elisabeth S.

Excellent Case Management Software

Reviewed on 23/3/2020

This software saves me time and helps with record keeping. It is easy to use. I would hate to be without it.

Pros

I love the ease of use for conflicts checking. I love the secure client portal, as I often exchange sensitive documents with the client. I love the client notes feature and the calendaring.

Cons

I have had clients who could not get the secure portal to work - that may have been user error, but there are enough of them that I had to develop a back up plan. I would like to see a better overview of available features so I can decide what works best for me. I do not use most of the billing features, so I would like a way to disable that, rather than have it look like I am running a huge deficit! I would like to learn more about integration with Wealth Counsel software. Cross-population of clients would be a huge benefit for me!

William W.

Practice Management made easy

Reviewed on 1/8/2019

We wanted a simple but flexible system Practice Panther gave that

Pros

The software is simple its flexible and allows for use across platforms so Mac Windows etc
The support team superb
Since using we have seen a 45 per cent increase in billable hours

Cons

Nothing, it's great software nothing at all I don't like

Jonathan M.

Incredible service for a great product

Reviewed on 12/5/2015

While one of the newer players in the field of practice management, Practice Panther excels in relationship building and care for its users. Having tried nearly every product available, I found that Practice Panther was a cut above the others by way of their desire to be the best. During the trial period, I send a large list of things that I would like to see implemented or improved in the product. Their response, that they have begun making a number of improvements and tabled some of the others for future releases, was impressive. Not only that, shortly thereafter they had some of the changes implemented in the product and live for all the users.

Practice Panther is a great product that you can grow your practice with. The employees of the company are interested in making a superior product that exceeds the expectations of all its users.

Pros

The dashboard allows me to see, at a glance, my productivity and earnings for the month. I can add important calendar dates and reminders to the page quickly and get a high-level view of everything that I am working on at the time.

Practice Panther also integrates with Google calendar, mail, and apps which is great. It allows me to assign emails to certain folders in gmail and then see the communication string within the program. I can put a calendar entry on my phone while away and it will sync into the app.

It is a great tool to help track and grow my practice.

Cons

As I mentioned above, Practice Panther is newer than the others. There are some features that are coming down the pipeline, but not implemented yet. For instance, the trust accounting process is a little buggy. Some features take some getting used to, but all of this is countered by the fact that they are friendly, nice, and excited to make the program the best it can be.

Overall, well done Practice Panther!

Response from PracticePanther Legal Case Management Software

Thanks for the great review Jon! We have upgraded our trust accounting to include over 35 reports you can export for your accountant. You can reconcile your account with your bank, view trust ledgers, sync with QuickBooks Online, use UTBMS codes or LEDES98B billing if needed, and much more. You can learn more and see some reports here: https://www.practicepanther.com/iolta-trust-accounting-software-attorneys/

Mary J.

Practicepanther is the most economical, easiest to integrate, full-service, law firm software!

Reviewed on 27/12/2017

If I've ever had an issue such as integrating a calendar, it didn't last long. Tech support is as easy as a chat or phone call. Everyone I've worked with at Practice Panther has been quick to respond with an immediate answer.

Pros

When an attorney can access the most recent case status at any time or place, he or she can direct their assistants to reschedule, contact a client, or draft a document for review, directly from within the software. "Time" is more than money, it can be the difference in a favorable decision for your client, and effective service can lead to your next client referral.
Everything you need to know, from billable hours, account balances, recent notes, phone calls, or critical events are available from the app on your phone or your home or office computer. Practicepanther provides you the "time" to provide your clients with the best legal service you can give. Practicepanther even provides a billable timer than integrates directly into the matter you are working on.
As a previous user of Needles, and Time Matters, Practicepanther has faster integration, and does so much more. It's design makes it simple to use for even those who have never used legal office-management software. Perfect for solo offices or large firms.

Response from PracticePanther Legal Software

Thank you so much Mary for the raving review!

David F.

Automating your Law Office

Reviewed on 18/4/2017

Before we had Practice Panther we had Rocket Matter as our software management system and they increased our fees significantly after the 1st year of our subscription. Practice Panther has fixed rates. Before we were doing a lot of things manually and spending a significant amount of time finding information about clients, and copying and pasting descriptions of time for billing. Now we have easy access to client information and don't have most of those issues. Also, the templates and inputs are awesome for routine legal forms! The custom fields and custom groups are increasing effectiveness and efficiency and quality of the our practice because of less mistakes and less of the problem of finding old client's names in forms that you might miss. Once created, the templates also makes it easier to find the permanent form for the specific area for your practice. Practice Panther added the ability to bill your time right from the calendar soon after we subscribed which is a huge time advantage. Also, Practice Panther is mobile with a great iphone app and ipad app you can take in the court room or on the road. My receptionist and legal secretary can make appointments which immediately show up on my remote apps and vice versa, and the calendar and billing time also works great on those apps. I researched many legal software management programs before deciding on Practice Panther and I have not been disappointed. It is an excellent software management system for the small to medium size law firm.

Pros

The ability to use client information directly transferred into legal forms

Cons

Not a lot of flexibility to customize invoices

Hamish S.

Every law firm should consider PracticePanther Legal Software

Reviewed on 29/9/2020

I continue to be very impressed and happy with the software. They are constantly updating it with new useful features.

Pros

What I like most about this software is its ease of use and help videos. It has a full range of features such as time recording and invoicing, receipting and payment system, contact and client matters, templates and automation, calendar with tasks and events and much more. You can sync your contacts and files with google or box etc

It is very easy to deploy and adding users is very simple.

Cons

There are always some improvements that can help with any software. I would like to see an update to the template tool allowing pdf templates rather than just docx.

Juan mendez B.

PracticePanther made it so easy to keep our clients happy and our employees happy.

Reviewed on 31/3/2017

I owe PracticePanther so much for helping our firm keep us true to our mission. At Ticket Drop, we made it a mission of our firm to provide the best customer service, so I have been looking for a reliable and affordable case management software that would help me do just that. I was hesitant to finally settle on one, but that changed when I tried PracticePanther. Almost immediately I found the software much more easy to use than the other products I tried out and it accomplished everything I was looking for to benefit my firm and my clients. We make sure each of our clients is able to communicate directly with the lawyer handling their ticket. PracticePanther's portal is so easy to use and intuitive, no one in our firm had any trouble getting our clients to use it to view the status of their case, billing, important announcements, and to keep track of all the work their lawyer was doing for them. I can tell you that our clients were incredibly grateful to have all the information available to them. PracticePanther made it so easy for them to see how hard we were working for them. PracticePanther made it so simple and faster to communicate with our clients and I know their software is saving us so much time in the short and long run. PracticePanther was the best way to show our clients that we mean what we say: that we value customer service. No other software out there made it so easy to keep our clients happy and our employees happy.

The guys over at PracticePanther's customer support are also incredibly helpful. The software is not hard at all to pick up, but when there were a few bumps in the road I simply picked up the phone and called their customer support. They took their time helping me through the issues I had, they answered all my questions patiently and took my feedback to heart. They really make it a priority to listen to feedback and use it to make their software even better. That's how you make a better product and their software really show how much they try to make it user-friendly.

Hugh R.
  • Industry: Law Practice

good interface, terrible billing if you have more than 5 clients, and terrible reporting suite

Reviewed on 2/11/2020

average.

Pros

clients like the interface, auto posting of lawpay and accounts for trust versus other payments with ease.

Cons

The billing every month is SO PAINFUL. To review bills or edit them, you have to open every invoice in a separate window. There is no "next" button to review invoices like every other billing platform out there. When asked about adding this, the response from PP is they will check with the development team. Clearly their developers didnt actually try out invoice review/edits for more than a few clients at a time. This is not a good solution if you have more than 5 clients. The task management also doesnt send notifications to all those tagged in the tasks, and if you assign tasks but are not the one assigned to do them, you cant track the progress. So we are using Asana instead so now using two platforms instead of one integrated solution.

Response from PracticePanther Legal Software

Hi Hugh,

Thank you so much for your review, I can see how this would be helpful. Ease of use stands at the top of our priority list, so we always appreciate feedback from our users. We've received your request for this feature and the development team has been notified. Thanks again for your time, please feel free to reach out to us if there is anything we can help you with.

Missed the boat

Reviewed on 8/8/2019

It’s got a long way to go to meet the expectations of a multi attorney practice.

Pros

The software sure does “look” nice. But it really missed the boat on some of the more nuanced features of a law practice. For example, when applying a discount to an invoice, the discount must be applied to the total invoice (fees AND costs). Discounts cannot be applied to just the fees. Why in the world would any attorney want to apply a discount to client costs advanced on behalf of the client??? When I inquired about this, their answer was “just put in a discounted custom rate for the matter”. This response is completely unacceptable since I may only want to apply a discount to one invoice rather than all work done on the matter! This is just one small example of the half hearted attempt of this company to make a legal management software. This is just one of several problems with the “features” of the software. The timers are always so buggy. The software is just not refined at all. None of the features were well thought out. It’s like the programmers decided “Hey! This is a cool feature to add!” But never really fined tuned any of them to a fully functioning feature that could work well. They all sort of work to only about 50-60 percent functionality. It should not come as any surprise, though, since neither the founders nor anyone else on the management team has any experience in the legal industry. The company would be well served to hire some actual attorneys to advise them on how to fine tune their software to make it a truly great legal software.

Cons

The lack of any real understanding of the nuances of a legal practice by the founders and creators of the company and software.

Response from PracticePanther Legal Software

Hello! We really appreciate your feedback and understand your concern. Over the years, we've focused every effort to make a great Legal product for many specialty Law firms but of course there's always room to grow. It would be great to get on a call and go over any specific issues you are having with PracticePanther and of course to log any further feedback you may have. Please feel free to reach out anytime, and we'd be more than happy to assist you.

Danielle F.

Loved it at first, disappointed after 6 months

Reviewed on 31/7/2020

I purchased PracticePanther about 6 months ago, and I was initially very happy with it. I hadn't used a practice management software before, so it felt pretty life-changing. The platform felt intuitive and user-friendly, and it simplified everything from time tracking to billing. However, after 6 months of use (and data loss), I have become increasingly frustrated with PP and have finally made the (costly and inconvenient) decision to switch to Clio. There have been a lot of glitches with the platform and things that don't work intuitively. But the most frustrating and costly glitch occurred when I downgraded my plan to the "middle" plan, and it somehow deleted all the custom rates I had set for each matter. No one at PP could figure out why this happened or how to undo it, so I spent half a day re-reviewing engagement agreements, and re-creating new matter rates -- in addition to spending an hour or so on the phone with PP customer service and sending emails explaining the issue (and didn't even get a response). The "solution" PP offered was to upgrade me back to the higher level for one month (about a $30 value)! That provided absolutely zero benefit to me (I downgraded because I didn't need the features from the highest plan). The amount of money I've lost using PP has been in the thousands! I've switched to Clio now, which seems better so far.

Pros

That it made time tracking and billing easy

Cons

Too many glitches in the software that caused serious issues with my pricing and billing

Response from PracticePanther Legal Software

Hi Danielle. We appreciate your honest feedback on PracticePanther and are using it to better support our customers going forward. We apologize for the inconvenience you experienced with our plan downgrade experience. Our engineering and support teams are working hard to address this issue so this doesn't happen again. If you need any help exporting your data, please feel free to reach out to us. We want to make what is left of your experience with us as easy and smooth as possible. I wish you the best of luck and want you to know that should you ever be willing to try us again, we'll do our best to make it a world-class experience.

Rachel C.
  • Industry: Law Practice

Practice Panther Is Truly Helpful!

Reviewed on 21/9/2018

It has been good! We had to work out kinks when we first moved to the system and there are little things we wish has more instruction but once you implement it, you just plug and play for the most part!

Pros

Cloud-based service! This feature works so much better than having a dedicated IP for a server for our staff to use the software. As I said being able to work from anywhere and access information on the go is a life changer for the firm and all the staff. We are all more connected and communicate things clearly and easily within chat to one another also!

Cons

It could be better with support. We generally use chat to get help and the main thing is that we always get an instant link to articles while we wait and while that can be helpful sometimes it doesn't really address our issue, but overall it is helpful.

Heather H.

Practice Panther

Reviewed on 5/8/2019

In my first few months, PracticePanther has helped me become a more conscious biller (and pointed out how poorly I billed before) and recover what would have ended up being thousands of dollars in potentially lost time.

Pros

I LOVE that PP shows you on your dashboard how much time/flat-fees you've entered but not billed for -- when I transferred from another program, this function allowed me to recapture a few thousand dollars that I might not have noticed otherwise -- just by making it obvious how much unbilled time was just accruing, a little at a time, in my files. Also, the interface is extremely user-friendly -- the customer service is excellent, but I very rarely need it because the interface is natural and the tutorials are great.

Cons

Migration wasn't seamless - When a contact had more than 1 phone number, a new contact was created for each. Also, I had to re-do my invoice numbering -- invoices in PP cannot use dots, dashes, etc. (ex: you can't have an invoice "1750-March", "1750-01," or 1750.02." Also, no integrated e-signature platform.

Harold T.

User review

Reviewed on 27/8/2018

Pros

There are many things I like about Practice Panther. But I think what stands out is what is important for most people. Customer service. I've used this software for almost three years and the customer service has always been excellent. They are responsive and always explain in detail the answer to my issues.

Cons

What I like least about the software is the helpful videos have been removed from the dashboard drop down menu. Although this feature still may be accessible in the help menu it was more convenient for me to find videos through the drop box menu. But this is just a very minor inconvenience at best.

Randeep K.
  • Industry: Mining & Metals
  • Used Other for 1+ year

An appropriate case management application.

Reviewed on 15/8/2018

Pros

The application interface is very user-friendly, we can easily create task lists and track down all the actions done on a particular case. The application also provides contacts management and we can add notes to each file. The workflows have helped our team to stay on track with the upcoming steps. In addition to CRM, the application assists in time management and the sub reminder feature enable us to schedule emails in advance. The customer service is very responsive, you can contact them via live chat or emails. The invoicing feature helps to track all your accounts with clients, including the operating account details and the credit card transactions. It is very simple to create templates and you get to see all the contact’s details on the dashboard eliminating the need to navigate through several portals to get them. The application has superb reporting features where we get in-depth details about income and expenses.

Cons

The application requires more automation. The absence of integration with PayPal. Documentation features are absent. We can’t view emails from an external source.

Kendra P.

Best CM softward out there

Reviewed on 3/8/2018

I feel organized with Practice Panther and capable of handling an ever-growing case load.

Pros

Practice Panther is hands-down the most intuitive of the case management software out there. All of the features and functions feel like they are where they should be, and I was up and running with very little need for the support staff to hold my hand. It's replete with added features that make practicing easier.

Cons

There has been one instance in which the PP software double-charged my client's card. I had to do a charge back and took the loss on the fee. I heard from a couple others that the same thing had happened. However, they fixed that software problem and I have never had this issue happen again. Additionally, I do not like the numbering system, in which both contacts and matters are grouped together for the purposes of assigning a number. There should be a dual system of numbering these.

Chris K.

Fantastic Practice Management Software

Reviewed on 23/8/2019

I've helped client firms escape the torture of competitive software and find their way to Practice Panther.

Pros

Everything about this software is great. The interface is intuitive and easy to use. On the rare occasion that you can't figure something out, the support team is excellent. You name the feature - time entry, client management, relationships management, reports . . . whatever - Practice Panther is great. Having consulted with 150+ law firms of every size throughout the USA, this is the best software I've seen.

Cons

I wish the matter naming system was a little more restrictive so that you wouldn't end up with 40 variations of certain terms "Civil litigation", etc.

Mark L.

Practice Panther is Phenomenal

Reviewed on 2/1/2020

Pros

Mobile interaction.

You can bill, add calendar events, and review an entire client file online from anywhere you have cell service.

Cons

Sorting some of the billable items by category is more difficult then it needs to be, and having additional invoice template email options would be nice.

Cecilia G.

My favorite Legal software

Reviewed on 7/5/2019

They have a super efficient team. We had several questions about managing our invoices so we called them. The questions were answered quickly and clear. They gave as training to use it properly. Friendly and professional team.

Pros

Easy to maintain clients data-base and prepare invoices.
Every client has their own file with easy access to the needed tools .
In one place you can view expenses, billing items, matters, many useful gadgets

Cons

I had to think hard to post this part. I couldn’t find anything that I dislike.

Melinda W.
  • Industry: Law Practice

Fantastic! Software is easy to learn & use. Support team is amazing! Continuous...

Reviewed on 20/12/2017

Full case management, calendar, timekeeping and billing solution at a very reasonable price.

Pros

It is incredibly easy to set up and use. Billing takes half the time of prior or program, and clients love online payment feature just as much as we do! Staff enjoys using it, saying it feels almost like they are on a video game. They all learned how to use it very easily with minimal training time. We love this product and recommend it to all our colleagues, and it is extremely cost effective!

Cons

Can only have one window open at a time right now. Would like to have calendar and time entries open simultaneously.

Response from PracticePanther Legal Software

Hi Melinda, thank you for the compliments! There is a way to have multiple windows open at once. We will reach out to you today to show you how, thank you so much once again.