CosmoLex

Web Based Legal Practice Management & Accounting Software

4.7 /5 (294 reviews) Write a Review!

Michael C.
  • Industry: Law Practice

Great Software. Can be a learning curve.

Reviewed on 18/12/2019

Pros

The built in efficiency. Great accounting system. Easy to generate invoices, apply payments, and print checks.

Cons

It takes a bit to learn how to do everything and fully utilize the software. That being said, the customer service is excellent. The software is pricey and I wish there was a discounted rate for firm members who only have limited access.

Cole M.

Outstanding Practice Management Software

Reviewed on 13/12/2019

The greatest benefit is the inclusion of accounting functions such that the we can readily prepare the necessary reports for our CPA.

Pros

The software is intuitive and straightforward. All necessary options are readily accessible from a simple menu structure, and the inclusion of detailed accounting functions is truly unparalleled.

Cons

The only difficulty our firm has had has been in discerning how to remove or amend charges to clients once they have been billed and once payment has been received. However, via help and reading on the forums, we now understand this process and it is not difficult.

Mary F.

Impressed by Customer Service

Reviewed on 9/4/2020

Much more intuitive than our previous program.

Pros

I like how easy it is to get help (by phone, email, live chat, or leaving a ticket). I am still in the "learning" phase of using the software, but the customer service team has walked me through each stumbling block and taken time to show me in detail how all the features work. I'm most impressed by how they seem to anticipate my future questions and address those as well as whatever concern I originally contacted them about.

Cons

Nothing yet as far as functionality. Wish the data migration services were more affordable.

Ana G.

Cosmolex Review

Reviewed on 18/7/2016

I became a Cosmolex customer after being a customer of another practice management system and a customer of a widely known accounting software. My law practice incorporates general practice areas ranging from real estate/title agency, personal injury, litigation, family law, to probate and estate planning. With a variety of practice areas such as my firm, the challenges of practice management are complex because each area of the law has its own set of individual policies and procedures. The program I was using didn't capture my time spent on cases, nor created a detailed bill for my clients' review that completely captured all of the work my staff and I performed on their case. Cosmolex produces an invoice for the client that justifies my legal fee, which is essential to client satisfaction, and critical for ethical compliance purposes for cases that are accepted on a retainer or hourly basis. Not only do I earn more money because I'm able to quickly track time and expenses, but I also deliver a better product. Less time is spent telling my client what I did on their case but instead, allows me to focus on the particular legal matter the client hired me to solve. Further, the biggest hurdle to launching a successful law firm (I've only had my own law firm for seven months), is bookkeeping, and I have an in-house, nearly full-time bookkeeper which is also an accountant and is even qualified as an expert in a common accounting software system. However, with all of that knowledge and expertise, so much of my time was spent on accounting, and now it's spent on practicing law and a deeper concentration on my cases. This was not and could not have been possible with other accounting software systems on the market. Trust me, I tried them, and they only created problems. The other systems in the market (even those that are tailored for law firms) simply make the law firm work for the system, and not the system work for the law firm. Cosmolex is comprehensive. It takes care of the daily task delegation, case progress, and time tracking, accounting, employee performance, and reports. My experience has been an eye-opening one. My experience is mostly a relief because without Cosmolex I would still be living in the dark-ages of unproductivity and frustration.

Pros

Ease of use, the simplicity of timecards, layout/design, price, functionality across multiple practice areas, ethical compliance considerations, cyber security protection, and mobility.

Cons

Lack of knowledge by customer support, inability of 24/7 customer support access, inadequate and burdensome contact importing process, access to library of forms and templates with incorporated merge fields, failure of bank integration for purposes of deposits, no app available, not synced with lexicata or another CRM service, doc mgmt could use some navigational ease of use improvement, no place for employees to insert their time for purposes of payroll, no spell checker, inability to make a matter designated as anything other than inactive or active (nice if had more options, such as closed cases, prospective lead, consultation only, referred out), migration of emails into cosmolex, lack of automatic matching of emails to correct corresponding client file (doesn't exist retroactive to joining Cosmolex at all, and once joined, the automatic email matching is rare but is much more usually manual entry, automatic base fee for commonly used tasks and expenses that would automatically be applied to each type of case's invoice for example, fax $2.50, copy cost 30 cents per page, courier fee $5.00, postage cost of $10.00, generate and open file $15, $10 document retention fee, and legal research $20.00, additional permissions for each user based on more than is listed under "role," label generator, sync with efax and adobe sign and google for work, ability to mark certain case documents as confidential and/or only for internal viewing purposes.

Response from CosmoLex

Hi Ana,

Thank you for taking the time to detail your thoughts, it is constructive feedback like yours which keeps us grounded. You run a multi-dimensional practice and are a tech enthusiastic, full of ideas. While we currently do not offer 24/7 live customer support as you stated, this is planned for the near future. We also agree that data migration from one system to another can often be very cumbersome. Though we have automated this process quite a bit since you became a customer, we understand that this can be perceived as a major hurdle for some firms, which is why we work hard every day to improve this process.

Lastly, we value your comment that "[CosmoLex] is already well beyond its counterparts and is arguably the next big leader in legal tech practice management". We can assure you that we will be relentless in our pursuit of simplifying the practice of law!

Erica Birstler, Manager, Client Services Dept.

Lynda W.

The staff is really helpful and friendly.

Reviewed on 12/7/2017

Three software packages for billing, client accounting and back-end was TOO MUCH!

Pros

Everything was in one place. I didn't have to generate bills in one package, enter them in another for tracking income, and then pay them in two places as well. It is also great to be able to write a cost check in a case and have the expense "attached" to the client's accounting file/bill in a seamless matter with just an additional click or two. We were promised an easy migration with all the support we needed, and that is what the team at Cosmolex delivered!

Our accountant was also able to access the system for his end of the year work and add all of his journal entires and such and close out the books quickly and easily. The ability for us to generate P&L reports and other important accounting documents literally on demand is also pretty awesome.

But the best part about Cosmolex, by far, is their incredible support team. They have never been stumped, and I've done my best to do just that! Every time I have a question, I get a prompt and complete answer, generally by phone, from one of their support staff who know me and my firm on a first-name basis. I don't think I could be nearly as effective in a dual-role position without this software!

Cons

I can't think of anything additional at this point; they have added all MY wishlist items! I think the only thing they could add at this point is a "hotline" 24/7!

William C.

Great Product

Reviewed on 24/4/2020

My experience with Cosmolex has exceeded my expectations. I did a lot of research on what is out there in the market and Cosmolex came out on top, primarily because of the integrated backend accounting so that I did not have to deal with QuickBooks. Over the last couple of years, using Cosmolex, has been awesome. Being able to keep track of my time with the timer, bulk entry of Timeslips, ease of sending out invoices, invoices with a link to pay electronically, inclusion of law pay as a part of the subscription, etc., etc., etc., are all wonderful parts of the experience.

Pros

Super easy to use. Billing with a timer, bulk billing (was added after I requested), super responsive customer support/chat, great reports, full back-end accounting

Cons

I can often think of new features I would love to see but obviously they cannot add everything I want immediately.

Kristal K.
  • Industry: Law Practice

We chose Cosmolex because of the accounting feature

Reviewed on 25/6/2019

Pros

We chose Cosmolex because of the accounting feature along with the other case management features as well as its interplay with Lawpay.

Cons

I would like to be able to search the calendar for a particular name. For example, if I am trying to determine when I met with a potential client, I would like to be able to search their name. To add to this, I would like to be able to add the potential client to the calendar entry when I add a consult so I can search the PC and determine when I met with them.

As to the documents, I would like a way to search all the documents in the system. For example, I would like to be able to search for "Motion for Guardian ad Litem" and have all documents with that title, regardless of whose matter it is connected to.

I would like to be able to pull matter balances from the app.

Response from CosmoLex

Thanks for your feedback, Kristal! We're thrilled to hear that you're enjoying the advantages of an integrated accounting and practice management system. We're always looking to optimize our solution, so please feel free to make a feature request on our support site. Thank you!

Wendy B.
  • Industry: Law Practice

The accounting is very easy to use which saves time.

Reviewed on 19/6/2019

It helps all of our staff stay on the same page and everyone knows what is happening in each case.

Pros

I like that the program has both accounting features and has the ability to hold all of our client's information in one. The accounting features are very easy to use. The support videos are very easy to use and if I need to speak to anyone they usually call the very same day.

Cons

I would like the calendar to be able to send emails to all of the attorney's as right now when I calendar an event in one attorney's calendar it will not let me send him/her a reminder unless you put the event on another person's calendar. The point of putting stuff on the calendar is so they see the event and they have reminders

Response from CosmoLex

Hi Wendy, thank you for your feedback! We appreciate your comments.

Morgan S.
  • Industry: Legal Services

Billing is great! Case management, not so much.

Reviewed on 7/7/2016

We are a two attorney firm with one paralegal. We chose Cosmolex for the trust accounting feature. We were looking for a program that could do it all - keep the books and manage the cases.

Pros

I love the billing and trust accounting features. Cosmolex really shines with maintaining the operating and trust accounts separately as well as generating invoices for our billable work.

Cons

The software is cumbersome, taking several clicks to get to information. The features I need most on the case management side are contacts and notes. The contacts drive me nuts! If I'm in Bob Jones' case, I want to see a list of all the other people involved such as other attorneys, witnesses, or other relevant parties. With Cosmolex, one has to go to a separate contacts page and link them rather than entering the information directly into the matter. The note taking feature is improving now that more characters are allowed, but it still leaves much to be desired for those who are answering client calls and wanting to log the information right away. It seems like it would be fine for a transactional practice but it's less than ideal for litigation.

Response from CosmoLex

Hi Morgan,

I am sorry to hear that while you love the billing & accounting functions of CosmoLex, you are not as thrilled with our case management functions. Specifically, it seems like a lot of your suggestions have to do with our contact management functions . If possible, we'd love to take few minutes of your time offline to go over your specific observations and improvement ideas. Also, we can update you on many of the new features and improvements which are currently in the works. At CosmoLex, our sole focus is to provide our clients with a better product each month and your assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Erica Birstler,
Manager, Client Services Dept.

Kyle M.

Best User Friendly Interface

Reviewed on 30/12/2019

I have a great experience with the program and use it most of the day every day.

Pros

I appreciate most the ability to correct errors in accounting when they are noticed and the integration with the trust account.

Cons

Some of the deep user options are difficult to find but this is necessary with the level of customization allowed.

Response from CosmoLex

Thank you for your review, Kyle! Your honest feedback regarding our accounting functionality is sincerely appreciated. We've spent countless hours working on our accounting features to make sure we provide everything you need in a single platform and to eliminate compliance worries, and continue to develop its functionality every day.

Apryl S.

One Stop Service

Reviewed on 14/12/2019

Easy to use and everything we need at the office is in one place. Useful reports that are easy to produce.

Pros

Easy to use and everything you need is in one place.

Cons

That it prints all unpaid invoice. Would like to just print the most recent unpaid invoice.

Amber W.
  • Industry: Law Practice

Cosmolex is very intuitive software.

Reviewed on 29/4/2019

My assistant and I have enjoyed using Cosmolex, and now feel spoiled by all the great features compared to other file management and accounting software. I have been asked by several lawyers in my city to show them the program, and I wish I was more proficient with it so I could do it justice.

Pros

It does everything you wish other programs would do. It's easy to fix any mistakes you make in your billing without having to contact the company for a complicated "work around" solution. If you do have an issue or a suggestion, the customer service department is very responsive.

Cons

I would like if bills could be further broken down into taxable disbursements and non-taxable disbursements. My assistant and I registered for the training, but were unable to log on at the assigned time, but became too busy to follow up with this, so we have muddled through on our own for the last year.

Garth J.
  • Industry: Law Practice

It is a very stable product that is continually getting better.

Reviewed on 21/1/2019

Some of the shortcomings that I initially identified as possible deal-breakers have been remedied within the short time that I have been using the product (ex. the failure of multi-day events to properly appear on the calendar system). I am hopeful that the "ease of use" issues are addressed over time (quickly). Again, a very nice product overall, that has demonstrated an ability and inclination to get better.

Pros

The integration of accounting and check preparation into the law practice package.

Cons

The calendar is not easy to view and use. Quite frankly, I merely have linked to to my Outlook Calendar and avoid using the Cosmo calendar entirely. The other "con" which surfaces each time I use it, is that when you cycle to matters or clients, you cannot simply begin to type a name and have the system go to the name in the list. Being forced to do a search each time you want to go to a listing is really a time waste.

Kristen M.
  • Industry: Law Practice

Everything is in one program

Reviewed on 31/5/2019

Pros

Everything is in one program, making it easy and accessible. It's also more cost-effective than purchasing numerous different programs to do the same things. It is user-friendly, and when you need support, they have great help available.

Cons

It is overwhelming to start. The trial period doesn't even begin to scratch the surface of what the program can do and it takes months to become familiar with what can be done. There also seems to be quite a few differences between Canada and the US versions, with the US version having more options.

Response from CosmoLex

Hi Kristen, thank you for your honest feedback. We're thrilled to hear that you're enjoying the benefits of our integrated solution! We understand that practice management can be a daunting task to take on, which is why we make sure our support team is available to help you along the way, whenever you need it.

Brenda D.
  • Industry: Law Practice

CosmoLex is an easy program once you get going

Reviewed on 1/11/2016

Our peachtree program, timeslips program, and trust account (old CosmoLex desktop version) were all becoming unsupported, and/or being phased out. We did not use peachtree to its full capacity, timeslips program very slow, and not easy to work with.

Pros

After researching we were ready to go with an all in one program for the law firm.
Cosmolex is an easy program once you get going.
Fast and friendly customer support.
Willing to take suggestions on how to improve program.
There is more accuracy in the fact that advancements won't be missed when clients pay.

Cons

More training videos on the business side of the program. The day to day bills, etc. Show how you would enter a payroll journal.
The business side needs improvement - a box that would come up on the memo portion of the check - for your account number for that vendor, and then the invoice that you are paying for.
Being able to pay for multiple invoices from one vendor with one check.

Alex B.
  • Industry: Law Practice

I found the user interface modern, straightforward, and easy to learn.

Reviewed on 27/11/2018

I came to Cosmolex because I was invited to a meet-and-greet with the CEO. He was great and really seemed passionate about the product, and that inspires passion in others. I saw him interact with other users and take into account their feedback and the changes they wanted to make to the product.

When I tried it out for myself, I found that passion reflected in everyone else I talked to at the company and that's a great thing. It means that support really wants to help you, instead of just get rid of you.

CosmoLex is a product that's updated regularly and that seems to really take into account what their users want to see, and that's perfect for me.

Pros

I found the user interface modern, straightforward, and easy to learn. It was also cloud-based, which is a plus, and I found support very helpful.

Cons

The UI can be very slow when moving from page to page. Certain tasks are difficult because pop-up windows exist only within the frame of the page and you can't move them around to reveal other data you might want to access to fill things out (like copying a regularly-used hard cost, for example).

Some of the banking stuff was more difficult than necessary because it didn't let you enter things. For example, if a bill was paid by someone other than the client.

Randy N.

One of the most intuitive and robust programs out there.

Reviewed on 31/1/2019

Pros

Incredibly easy to use. We use it to manage our trust account (although I know it does so much more), and the reporting complies with the multiple states in which we hold licenses.

Cons

Why can't the font be easily changed for the address printing on checks? Due to the font, we cannot use a window envelope when mailing; we have to address another envelope.
Also, would like for it to separate different trust accounts out easier to run reports.

Christopher C.
  • Industry: Law Practice

We are very pleased with the overall experience

Reviewed on 29/11/2018

We are very pleased with the overall experience and moreso that CL has certified vendors that understand the software. This is how we found our current bookkeepers.

Pros

Bank Feeds make the consolidation between billing and accounting easy and we don't have to purchase two pieces of software.

Cons

While we are a small law firm, we do bank work and have lots of matters, meaning lots of invoices (We typically have 150-200 per month). The Cosmolex interface struggles with this, especially when it comes to batch invoicing and emailing bills. The system often lags or completely stalls when generating batch invoices.

Aaron L.

Great All In One CRM for Lawyers

Reviewed on 18/12/2019

It's been a great experience and I would highly recommend Cosmolex. I've used Clio as well and greatly prefer Cosmolex to Clio.

Pros

The functionality of the system is good and is relatively easy to use. The support features and articles are great. I've been able to solve most of my own issues without the need to submit a help ticket.

Cons

The accounting portion of the software integrates well, especially with trust accounting. However, the actual accounting side is clunky and harder to use than alternatives such as Quickbooks.

Graig C.
  • Industry: Law Practice

I like the ease of functionality the best.

Reviewed on 26/11/2018

I have been using Cosmolex for about three and a half years. I was an early adopter and I really like it. I probably don't use as many of the functions as I should but what I do use, I really like. I have recommended it to people in the past and will continue to do so.

Pros

I like the ease of functionality the best.

Cons

I think the accounting is more difficult than the legal end of it, but I am not an accountant.

Jeffrey F.
  • Industry: Law Practice

CosmoLex is central to the daily business of my solo law firm.

Reviewed on 11/12/2018

It's economical, practical, integrates well with other software and financial products, and is easy to use. I've recommended it to other lawyers that are looking to go out on their own. Why pay for multiple software licenses and learn multiple platforms when CosmoLex does it all, from anywhere, for less?

Pros

Single solution, cloud based, eliminates the need for separate software licenses, LawPay credit card processing integration, OneDrive integration, ease of use, Android app

Cons

Would like to be able to edit billing entries (time amounts, billing amounts, partial no-charge in block bills) directly in timers, could use a more elegant accounting solution for firm funds that are parked as a buffer in trust accounts.

Sean F.
  • Industry: Law Practice

Reputation for good security and good customer support

Reviewed on 19/9/2017

Pros

Reputation for good security and good customer support, with regular updates & improvements. Full accounting integration was a big factor. Also liked that it had what seemed like all of the practice management basics, except for document assembly. Having all of our documents accessible via the cloud is also nice.

Cons

Document assembly is a crucial feature that needs to be added. This feature saves a tremendous amount of time on every matter. For all of the effort directed towards making it easy to bill clients and see where your time is going, the lack of document assembly kind of negates whatever efficiency advantages you would otherwise gain with those other features. Looking forward to seeing this feature added.

Response from CosmoLex

HI Sean. Thank you so much for your feedback and suggestions. Just a note that Document Assembly is already in development and should be release within the next month or so. We will be sure to keep you updated.

Sarah P.

Great Product

Reviewed on 13/12/2019

We love that everything is in one place, no searching through multiple programs or documents to find information.

Pros

Easy to use and very user friendly. Support team is great and very helpful/quick to respond.

Cons

As it is relatively new, there are some features that are not available and through use our firm noticed would be very helpful. As the support team is so great when it was brought up to them they mentioned a request could be put in to see if it could be added.

Kathleen B.

CosmoLex Review

Reviewed on 19/6/2019

Pros

We chose CosmoLex for it's complete matter management, including both front AND back office accounting integration! We finally have an accounting system that understands attorneys and how they handle money!

Cons

At this time we have not found any so far.

Response from CosmoLex

Thank you, Kathleen! Please reach out to our Support team if you need help with anything along the way.

Mary M.
  • Industry: Law Practice

I am not overly technical and quickly got the hang of the system.

Reviewed on 29/3/2019

Pros

I like having contacts, calendar and billing all together and the ability to quickly to conflict checks.

Cons

Currently we have not had a problem as of yet